Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier Kia Sedona Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• robjamellrobjamell Member Posts: 35
    lavrishevo- Can you tell me what video units you got that only cost $800? Also do you have any pics?

Thanks
    Robjamell
  • nagogaminagogami Member Posts: 3
    kbella3, could you tell me the dealer's contact information for an 2008 LX with no options of $16,099?

Thanks!
  • alaazzalaazz Member Posts: 3
    I got a 2008 LX with DVD player and auto sliding door for 19300 OTD, I am in TX.
  • lavrishevolavrishevo Member Posts: 312
    I have a Panasonic head unit without navigation that does mp3, Divx, and of course DVD.
    I believe it was 80 watt rms per channel.

10.4 inch screen in the back

Great deal Laura. You will be happy with the van. Congrats! Just remember to get good MPG you pretty much have to let the van shift at 2K - 2.5K rpms and no fast starts. Doing this will achieve sticker MPG. Also mileage will improve as the engine "breaks" in. Edmunds achieved as much as 29 MPG on the highway at 25,000 miles. Enjoy your new van!
  • curbdogcurbdog Member Posts: 2
    So I just bought a brand new 2008 Sedona EX with Power door option and roof bars for 18995 plus tax and fees. The sticker price was 28490. After looking for a while and then going to a dealer that wanted to work me over, I decided to call 7 or 8 dealers within a 50 mile radius telling them that I was calling for their absolute best price and I would buy the best deal. I thought this was a good deal but what do ya'll think?
    Great price! Congrats. Perfect time to buy cars, the deals could not be better.
  • curbdogcurbdog Member Posts: 2
    Sweet set up! Where did you get it installed? Looks flawless; I need some Backyardigans in my rig!
    You would not believe the peace and quiet a good DVD does to help the little one quiet down from being upset over prolonged time in the car seat. I live in Puerto Rico so, I just went to a local shop and had it done. My opinion is to find the deck and rear screen that fits you and search online. Amazon, Ebay, and Google shopping, to name a few, all have much better deals then car audio shops. Purchase your gear and just have a good installer install it for you.
  • kbella3kbella3 Member Posts: 8
    Just curious, at what mileage is it considered 'broken in'?
    I would say it depends on driving style, frequency of oil changes, type of oil used synthetic vs regular, and so on. But as a good estimate I would say between 15,000 and 25,000.
  • justynthymejustynthyme Member Posts: 7
    I'm shopping for a LWB Sedona LX. No frills needed. I have 14k to buy it outright. Is a new one possible? If not, is it possible to find a 2008 one with 10,000 or less miles on it for that price? I need to walk out with the car at that price after all closing fees.. taxes included. What would be some approximate best deals I should be able to get with that cash.. thanks for any replies... I'm not that experienced with this so any advice would be appreciated..
  • jegamanjegaman Member Posts: 1
    I just got a 2008 LX with 11400 miles for 12,700 out the door. Not bad. Not the 11,500 that the dealer's internet sales person said "they would entertain", but still a good price. I almost walked out though when the finance guy made the mistake of using a 7.9 default APR through their default bank instead of my pre-approved credit union rate, which was much lower.
    I don't think you will get OTD at 14k but I could be wrong. Slightly used no problem. Just search around and don't be afraid to walk when they try to raise the price on you.
    Do you mean OTD is improbable with a new car at 14k? and do you mean OTD no problem on a used vehicle for 14k? thanks
    Sorry if I was not clear. New of OTD at 14k = no. Used should run you around 12k for a slightly used 07 or 08 Lx lwb. But this my opinion it can never hurt to try. Downside to used is you normally don't get the 100k powertrain warranty just the 60k bumper to bumper.
    Thanks.. I drove a new lx , of course it felt great... then I drove an lx with 20k miles and there was a pretty big difference. Then we test drove an lx with 10k miles and although it felt good, there was a very strange sound when you started the engine. I walked away because the used vehicles just weren't quite right. I'm still looking.
    I just purchased a brand new 2008 LX Sedona from Quirk Kia in Braintree MA. Full 10 year 100,000 mile warranty. The most incredible car buying experience ever, respectful salesperson and general manager! After having terrible experiences with rude salespeople and finance managers who, in the end, didn't have a vehicle we wanted or were trying to get us into horrible trades or financing (this is after explaining to them that we have cash and don't have a trade in), we went to Quirk and they gave us an OTD price of $17,100 (everything included) cash, no trade in.. Wow! No dealer came close in the previous 2 weeks. The deal clincher was the way they treated our family with genuine respect from the time we walked in the door. No fake stuff. Mr. Quirk runs a high volume business and they respect customers and try their best. While every other business is trying to raise prices because of the recession, Mr. Quirk is the model example of how businesses should try to beat it. Great service, great prices = increased sales and customer referals. If you go there, ask for salesperson Derek George and GM Jim Lewis. You can't go wrong with them. They were incredibly straight forward, respectful and laid back all at the same time. I want to thank Mr. Quirck. Quirk Kia ROCKS!!! Thanks to this forum, the members and Lavrishevo for all the info... Thanks Edmunds!!!
    Congrats! Enjoy your new van. Stay up on your oil changes and tire pressure, and be easy on the engine / breaks the first 5,000 miles. Keeps those RPM's low and you will get good MPG. Glad your happy with your purchase. :D
  • bosmikebosmike Member Posts: 9
    Dumb question here. Are 2009 Sedona's on the dealer lots? Everything I see online (including Kia.com) refers to 2008 Sedona as the current model.

Reason I ask, I received some online quotes for an LX. I went into another dealership (one I didn't ask for a quote yet) to do a test drive on my lunch break. I mentioned I had some quotes already and when I told them the lowest one they said it must be on an '08 model since the 5k incentive is only on '08 models and I will have a hard time finding one. They then tried to say I'll be looking at something in the low 20's for an LX + Power Doors which seems a bit high.

I realize some of the online quotes might be to just get me in the door, but I was confused over the 2009 talk.
    Yes 09's are on the lots. I just took my 06 in for a tranny flush today and saw a few 09's. I also noticed they dropped the Sticker MPG to 16 / 24 from 18 / 25
  • phoenix2001phoenix2001 Member Posts: 22
    I just bought a 2008 black Kia Sedona EX w/power pkg, cross bars, <100 miles new. Purchase price was $19,300 plus ~$500 doc fee & TTL, no additional markups or other crap dealers like to throw in and they waved the costs of their "desert protection package" and tinting so no arguments were needed there. Plus I rec'd Edmunds TMV on a trade-in.

Dealer was Peoria Kia in Arizona, salesperson was the internet sales manager. Pleasant experience, no problems on the deal -- my conscious will be clear when I give them a 10 on their performance rating. But as a caveat, I had called/talked to almost every dealer in Phoenix so they knew I was prepared and knew of the standing offers from other dealers and already walked away from one. I didn't need financing either. (Peoria Kia has an identical black 08 Sedona left but it has these outrageously fancy chrome wheels on it.)

There are still many 2008 EX Sedonas out there in Phoenix that IMHO you should be able to get for $18,500 plus doc fee & TTL (plus options). The trade-in offers varied from totally unreasonable to close to Edmunds TMV -- really need to be prepared to fight on this stuff.

BTW the black color with alloy wheels and dark tint actually looks pretty sleek. The kids calling the van the Batmobile already.

P.S. Be careful and check the sales tax they calculate on your purchase (due to different accounting of the cash rebate).
  • bikash007bikash007 Member Posts: 10
    What was the base price for OTD of 17,100?
    I know the msrp was $25,400. I think the Emunds TMV what people are paying for the van was $20,000 the day before we bought the car. I hope this helps you. I think I got a good deal because no other dealer could beat it and the other dealer who came closest at $17,700 told me to go for it and he told me Quirk was giving me an incredible deal.
    I purchased a new 2008 Kia Sedona LX with DVD, power doors, roof fails and carpeted floor mats for a OTD price of 20,000 in CT. The sales tax here is 6%. I called all the dealerships in CT. Most of them quoted me a price between 23,000 to 25,000. The 2008 LX models with 5K discount are running out. Only 2 dealerships had the Red exterior and Beige interior I was looking for. The dealerships did not show much eagerness to negotiate. What do you guys think? Is it a decent price? I have seen people getting better prices in the forum. Has anybody gotten a better price in CT recently?
    I got a good deal for 2008 LX Kia Sedona for 20K out the door with DVD, power doors etc. I like the price. A comparable Honday Odyssey was coming to around 32K. I am about to sign the contract tomorrow. But I am a little bit concerned about overall Kia quality. The other cars I drove in the past are Mercedes and Toyota. Both proved to be great cars. I need a van to accomodate the growing family and Kia Sedona fits right into my budget. But I have a nagging feeling that I might be compromising the safety of my family by buying a cheaper brand. What do you guys think? How would you compare the overall quality between a Honda Odyssey and Kia Sedona? Is it a huge difference? Is the difference merely in the brand name? Anybody in this group drove a Kia for several years?
  • delthekingdeltheking Member Posts: 1,152
    Well if u have driven a Merc/Toyota before--then u will be definitely disappointed with Kia Sedona.Only attraction --low price.Other than that Sienna/Odyssey are much superior.And if u drove Toyota before--U will not like the Odyssey either.Odyssey has lots of road noise,,u can feel every bump on a rough road and taut steering wheel but more sporty ride than Sienna.
    A sporty rough ride --go with Odyssey or else plush,smooth ride --go with Sienna
    Sienna has a very quiet,plush comfy ride and more reliable than Odyssey.
    But definitely---Both the Ody and Sienna are far superior to Sedona in ride,resale and reliability.
    If u have 20k to spend-buy a used 08 Sienna with less than 20k miles and buy an extended Toyota warr. for 7yr/100k miles...There are screaming deals out there for 08 Sienna minivans...That would be my choice..
    Just MHOI
  • bluedevilsbluedevils Member Posts: 2,554
    Wow, I couldn't disagree more.

The Sedona is well built. Toyota and Honda reliability aren't what they were 10 years ago. Other brands have caught up.

Are the Odyssey and Sienna slightly more refined and overall a better van than the Sedona? Probably. Will the Sedona disappoint you? Probably not.

The Sedona's safety equipment and safety scores are tops in the minivan class. No safety concerns with this van.

Don't get hung up too much on resale value. Start with the actual purchase price, not MSRP. Percentage-wise, the Sedona won't really be any worse than its competitors. You pay less up front and your van will be worth less down the road.
  • kitagrlkitagrl Member Posts: 7
    We are really enjoying our Kia we bought last year (I posted in this thread about it earlier, awesome deal for a loaded minivan).... So far so good. I know the resale value isn't as great as the more desired brands, and that keeps people from buying it...but you cannot beat the price! And as far as reliability and comfort I think its just fine, as well as safety and warranty. Kia has really been trying to compete in the minivan market and I think they've done a good job for themselves. The reviews are really good for what you pay for. I would definitely recommend the Kias....this is our second, we outgrew our first one as it had very little storage space....with four kids, we had to upgrade to the newer model and we plan to keep this one as long as possible!
  • lakemichlakemich Member Posts: 3
    My family have Honda Odyssey EXL with nav and just bought Kia Sedona LX. The driving feel and quality of Kia is surprisingly good and not much different than Honda, it is merely in the brand name. Kia is a bargain and I highly recommend it. We are very happy with Kia van.
    I'm glad you guys are happy with your Sedona. The Ody is a nice van but Honda is far from being flawless. The terrible transmission problems that so many owners experience and being hung out to dry for thousands of dollars for a new tranny is a bit of a testimony to the real Honda and their dedication to quality. Not to mention the cost of standard maintenance is outrageous such as the replacement of the Honda's timing belt as compared to the Kia having a timing chain. By the time you factor in these cost plus the tremendous amount of money you pay over the cost of a new Kia the depreciation difference is not even an argument.
  • versican09versican09 Member Posts: 5
    I bought a new '08 Kia Sedona EX w/ power pkg & cross bars for $18,700 in Rochester. (No leather, No DVD). This is a "demo" vehicle that won't be released to me for a couple weeks due to some program it's in (but no one will be driving it...I put my deposit down), and it's still considered 'new' with about 1000 miles on it. I'm fine with the mileage -- it's been broken in a bit, right? It's got the great warrantee as they all do. It test-drove just fine, so I look forward to picking it up soon.

I got quotes from 3 or 4 dealers via email. Then went to visit whoever could give me the lowest quote. I got a couple quotes for new '08 Sedona EX's of $19,500, but the Rochester dealer could make the deal sweeter at 18.7k (even though I have to wait to pick it up a couple weeks due to a demo program it's in.) And the Kia dealer in Rochester was very friendly to work with -- not pushy like the Waterloo Kia dealer. I'll never go back to the Waterloo Iowa Kia dealer.

I'm pleased with the price for our Kia. Sounds about like what others in this forum would be getting. I would love to hear from other recent purchasers, but only if they paid more than me because I don't want to know if I paid too much.

The Toyota Sienna and Honda Odyssey's are just too expensive for us. If money were no issue, I probably would get a Toyota Sienna. But NEVER a Chrysler/Dodge. We have had a horrible experience with our '98 Plymouth Grand Voyager (same as Chrysler/Dodge). When shopping for a minivan recently, I considered Chrysler because of the good deals going on, but then I got stomach aches due to my disgust of their vehicles. We've put so much money into nearly every aspect of our Grand Voyager, I'll never buy another from them. I'd do business with Kia over Chrysler any day.
    You'll love it! We bought an '07 EX Demo Kia minivan last year, loaded including leather and DVD, heated seats, etc for about that, I think (can't remember exactly, but very close to that price, it wasn't more). It had about 2,000 miles on it. It was one of those things where we were stubborn on the price and the dealer let us go home...and then called us back like "Ohhhh yeah we just remembered, we had something just come in..." (Yeah right he wanted to sell us a minivan!) We are really pleased with the deal we got and so far so good on the vehicle. Had a problem with the brake pads wearing down unevenly after only half a year on the road, but took it back and since we hadn't had the car for too long they gave us brand new brake pads (instead of sanding them down or whatever like they do for repairs). We hope to have this vehicle for a long time....we had a Kia minivan before but it was the model with alot less storage in back and with four kids it wasn't working out.
  • 88hodori88hodori Member Posts: 11
    18.7 for 2008 EX looks like a sweet deal to me, considering that it's NEW, with the full warranties. To make the deal even sweeter, your purchase qualifies for the auto tax credit, right?

I live in Austin, TX, and the inventory has simply dried up, and the best I could haggle was 18.7 (before TT+L) for the base LX model.

Now looking at 2008 Hyundai Entourage Limitied, but all the available units are being sold USED, which limits the warranties that convey, and disqualifies the purchase for the auto tax credit--a double whammy, if you ask me.

If anyone knows of dealers--pretty much anywhere--with stock of NEW 2008 Sedona EX's, please shout! :-)
    Hey 88hodori,
    According to their website, www.kiadm.com (that's Kia in DesMoines Iowa) has some new 2008's left. With me, they went to 19.5 for 2008 EX model (mrp 28,545 or so). But they couldn't match 18.7 -- that was a couple weeks ago though. Good luck!! With all those 2009's on the lot now, I would think they're getting really anxious to unload.
  • jskayjskay Member Posts: 5
    As far as Kia's go, according to my research compared to Honda and Toyota. Kia is basically the same van. In my area we have a lot of older Kia's. I agree that before the turn of the century Kia may not have been the way to go.

BUT if you look at how long it took for Honda and Toyota to make a name compared to Kia, (getting ready to start their 16th year in America) then Kia is obviously on the way up and only going to get better. Kia's engineering building in korea has 8,000 engineers working on the next model. I do not know how much better they can get now but we will see. I find that compared to the honda and toyota Kia only lacks in two area's for 2009. No bluetooth available and only seats 7.

Once again BUT the Kia is safer, and if I am carrying my most precious cargo in the vehicle (my family and me) then I would want it protected.
    Why are you people going to pay more for a van that is not as safe? For an extra passenger? Because honestly you can get devices that plug into your car for hands free phoning.

The old school yard mentality is put your money where your mouth is, well all I can say is Kia put their WARRANTY where their mouth is.....and it is standard. You do not have to pay extra. IF Honda and Toyota are "SUPERIOR" to Kia then why can't they warrant it that way.

Kia would be broke if they had to fix a lot of warranty items....obviously the product is reliable otherwise it would not be around.

P.S. Why don't you get your facts straight before you go bashing Kia, because Mercedes-Benz owns 10% of Kia. Mercedes invented the airbag and Kia's 8,000 engineers have only make it better.
  • irritatrixirritatrix Member Posts: 40
    I bought a brand new 08 Sedona with 47 miles on it May 3, 2007 for 17,250 plus tax.

Unfortunately, it has been jump started 4 times since then, had a new battery installed, and has now been in the shop a second time for 13 days now while they try to figure out why the battery is being drained. The dealer is well-regarded by my many neighbors who have purchased vehicles from them, and they are very sympathetic and trying to be helpful, but sheesh. 480 miles, the van doesn't even have its license plates yet, and it's been in the shop 14 of the 35 days I've owned it. :sick:

I'm bitterly disappointed. I love driving it, and purchased it to camp in, and now I'm fearful that even if they fix that problem, there are going to be other electrical problems. I certainly am not getting any kind of new car buzz excitement from owning it, and I'm afraid to take it on any kind of extended trip; it's going to be a LONG time before I trust it enough to not fear getting stranded in it.
    You should look into your state's lemon laws before this gets much further. You may qualify for a replacement.
    Oh, trust me, I have. I'm halfway to qualifying for a good case, on both bases my state uses. CA requires

1) Reasonable number of attempts to repair problem - generally 4, but not necessarily, or
    2) In the shop 30 days in the first 18 months of ownership - does not have to be for the same problem.
    3) Also, the problem has to affect safety or usability of the vehicle (i.e., can't be for a minor problem like an interior light that they can't get to work or something of that nature).

#2 is why I'm not pushing them too hard. I really don't want the thing anymore. I've also read that in certain circumstances, a refund can be ordered even if the above are not met, and I may have my attorney friend look into that for me if they don't have it fixed by the end of the week.
    Also forgot to mention it's an EX. Good deal for 17,250; I just wish I could drive it. :mad:
  • thehothitthehothit Member Posts: 19
    Irriatrix,

Kia published a "Pit Stop" article (KT2007101501 - regarding 2006 And Later Sedona (VQ) Possible Battery Discharge Due to Improperly Installed Door Lock Key Switch). The text is as follows:

This Pitstop addresses a concern on some 2006 and later Sedona (VQ), which may exhibit a discharged battery due to excessive intermittent parasitic electrical draw. In some cases the door lock key switch located on the back of both the driver&#146;s and passenger's front door lock cylinders may not have been properly installed, may have come loose, or possibly was not reinstalled properly during a previous unrelated repair. As mentioned, this parasitic draw may be intermittent, as the switch by itself has no detent center position and is free to rotate (turn ON and OFF in either lock or unlock positions) if not attached properly to the door lock cylinder.

If a 2006 or later Sedona (VQ) has a discharged battery and a parasitic draw is present, first check the operation of the key switches using the GDS Scan Tool. If either key switch displays ON regardless of actual key position, this is the parasitic draw and the switch may not be fully installed. If the battery is discharged for no apparent reason, and no other symptoms exist, then an intermittent concern may exist. In this case please check both door lock key switches, assuring that the switches are properly installed.

I suggest that you print this out and show it to your dealer.

Good Luck!!!
    THANK YOU!!! I will print it now and take it over there!
  • jskayjskay Member Posts: 5
    I understand you are upset but obviously there is a problem with the vehicle and you feel like you have been ripped off. Fact of the matter is no matter how much we want as consumers or Kia as a manufacturer wants every vehicle to be "perfect" is completely unreasonable. People put cars together and we all know people are not perfect by any sense of the word. Mistakes can and will happen. Is this any reason to bash the company the dealer or the car...no. Is it grounds to be upset....yes. Lets sit back and think though. Other then the fact that the car has a battery problem you still love it you said so yourself. I truly hope the vehicle gets fixed for you and you buy into this company for life.
    Again nothing is perfect, you are one of the unfortunates and it sucks but Kia is the most improved company in the past 10 years and just look at what is coming in the future. I hear within the next couple years the sedona will be redone.
    2010 the sorento is getting a makeover....then probably the sportage.
    I'll keep you updated. I have a very good friend in the kia world.
    Now come on. Being frustrated at not having use of a new car for 14 straight days and 2 of the 5 weeks you've owned it is far from demanding the vehicle be "perfect." I've owned a number of cars in the last 40 years and not one has been "perfect," but not one has gotten off to this bad of a start - not even my ill-fated 1971 Saab 96, which was plagued with electrical problems from Day 1 and finally, mercifully, caught on fire and completely destroyed itself. :P

And nowhere did I say I felt "ripped off." I said I was "bitterly disappointed" - because I didn't buy a new vehicle to spend this much time in the shop, and I doubt you would like it any more than I do if it happened to you.
  • ericderekericderek Member Posts: 5
    I stopped by a local Kia dealer yesterday and they had two 2008 Sedonas for sale. These cars were on the lost about 2 months ago and then disappeared.

They told me that it was part of a program that Kia made them do. Apparently the cars were supposed to put in "loaner" program. They told me they just parked the cars in the back of another dealership for 45 days, and can now sell them.

THey were new (13 miles and 24 miles) and I be the first owner of record. The $27k LX model with power package and DVD was on sale for $18K+. They had a few other models with the same thing going on.

Has anyone encounter this? Any idea how much lower they will go?

Ericderek
    I posted a short while back, but here's what happened with me. I bought one (an EX) for $18,700 (plus tax/etc). It's MRP was 28,519. It has the power pkg, but no dvd or leather. I negotiated the price a month ago, but they explained I couldn't pick it up until June 15 because it was in that program too. Mine had a little over 1000 miles. The workers at the dealership would take it on drives/weekend trips. (I was sort of glad it had a few miles...made sure there were no problems...perhaps a few less would have been better.) Anyway,we've had it a few days and it's great so far.

You CAN find another dealer with these -- perhaps out of state. If you've got a price from a dealer already (call them dealer A), go to dealer B and ask if they can beat that price. Do it via email. When they do beat it (and they will), go back to dealer A and ask if they can beat dealer B's price. Continue until you get where you want to be. In this forum, someone picked up a new '08 EX for 17.2K (though he had problems with it...new but lemony). So I'd bet you could get an LX for 17k or less -- but you'll have to get dealers bidding for you. Even if you get an out-of-state vehicle, you use the nearest Kia dealer for service....so it doesn't matter where you buy it from...just get the best deal.
    I agree the mileage isn't a bad thing...I figured if my van was used to "show off" to other people or show what the Kia minivan was all about, that it was a good one to have! And so far its been fine.... It certainly was a great deal! Ours EX loaded incl leather was only like a thousand more than the basic LX we had bought three years earlier!
  • katie526katie526 Member Posts: 1
    I bought my 08 2 weeks ago. So far I love it. Buying experience was fine. I paid $15,900 for an 08 LX with 16K on it. Seemed like it may have been a rental or something, not sure. So clean inside and out.

So far, no problems. I had a Ford Windstar a few years ago. Piece of crap if you ask me. Both of my friends had them and tranny went at 60K for both of them. I got the 60K, 5yr. warranty and the 100K/10Yr. Powertrain with the Kia. Hoping it stays a love of a van. I am turning in my Ford Escape - another piece of crap.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    A reporter from a large newspaper is looking to speak to consumers who is considering purchasing a Hyundai or Kia or have purchased one this year. Please send your daytime phone number and the vehicle you own to ctalati@edmunds.com by Tuesday, June 30, 2009.

Thanks,
    Chintan
    Corporate Communications
    Edmunds.com

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• ericderekericderek Member Posts: 5
    I wrote previously about two 2008 Sedonas on the lot.

Last week I picked up a 2008 LX model with the Power Package and the DVD/Entertainment Package.

Paid $18,000. That was the price had listed in the add. I tried to negotiate them down, but their response was "we can't take anything else off the car." Considering the other 2008 was sold and gone, I just worked on my trade in value. Got about $1000 more than I expected, so I'm good.

I'm in North Jersey.