Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Mazda MPV Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    audia8qaudia8q Member Posts: 3,138
    yes it's very misleading....especially your last statement..."My advice is just to tell the dealer that you know others are getting incentive offers in the mail and you want similar consideration"

What does that mean?
    Dealers have no control over who receives the certificate...there is also no way to "sign up" for the program from the consumer or dealer end. The people getting the certificates were selected by ford credit, primus, mazda credit and the respective mfg, not the dealers, most have also been pre-qualified credit wise by mazda credit....your last statement leads somebody to think that the dealer can just magically make the certificate to appear..which is not the case....the large percentage of certificates are going out to people who are currently leasing competitive models..and its not transferable outside the household....if somebody gets one and uses it,great...there is no dealer participation so it would be fine if everyone got one....but this is a very narrow program that very few people will qualify compared to the number of people who are researching on edmunds....we all know that nobody reads the fine print....based on the number of emails from edmund folks, they all think anyone can get one, the dealer is behind it..comments like edmunds say's so...etc. certainly shows me that they are being mislead in some fashion.
  • Options
    fredinstlfredinstl Member Posts: 2
    I can benefit from the S-plan (~invoice). Should I push it and try to get a better deal. What I have been hearing from the dealers is that the S-plan is the best I can get. thanks for your input.
    fred
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Our incentive language still seems perfectly clear to me. You either qualify under the fine print or you don't.

And my smiley comments are only partly tongue in cheek. Incentives tend to depress resale value so I if know one is out there, even if I may not qualify for it, I still would point it out to the dealer and use that as a bargaining chip.

Steve, Host
  • Options
    kyleemmakyleemma Member Posts: 5
    i purchased my 2004 mpv lx from congressional mazda in rockville md.got everything i wanted plus some-titanium gray, lx plus,sport pkg,tc,side airbags,wheel locks and (hear is the plus)a dvd player.dealership was running a "this week only sale" msrp $27150 sale $22150.my otd price was $23009.i had no trade,didnt need to negotiate,and had financing already taken care of(3.79% capital one).i drove 150 miles for this deal.i was expecting some kind of catch when i got there but turns out everything was legit.they had over 50!! mpvs on lot ,mine was on the lot for 88 days!!i love this van,i guess others want the bigger vans but that just helps those of us who know better.
  • Options
    rbsrbs Member Posts: 2
    We paid 28K even for a loaded '04 ES. Got the moonroof, roof-rack, 4-seasons package, and DVD entertainment system. It was Super Bowl Sunday afternoon and it was snowing! So things were slow and they were willing to deal. We walked out, however, when they asked for an extra $200 at the end for registration. It wasn't the money that ticked me off --- just the manner in which it was done (w/o asking if we wanted them to do the work). They stopped us at the door. But it left a bad taste. The kids were very disappointed for a few minutes.

We were armed with the invoice prices, etc., so I didn't spend much time negotiating.
  • Options
    bigdadi118bigdadi118 Member Posts: 1,207
    Ira Mazda or 128 Mazda?

My experience told me goes w/128 Mazda. I don't like the salesmen's attitude in Ira Mazda.
  • Options
    jaserbjaserb Member Posts: 820
    Since you seem to have the scoop on Mazda's direct mailings I wonder if you could help me out. I got a mailer from Mazda stating I can get a $4k rebate on a new Mazda, on top of my best deal from the dealer. It seems to be a legit mailing from Mazda USA, not my local dealer. The flier specifically mentions the Tribute and Mazda6. I know a $4k rebate on a 6 is a screaming deal and if I needed a sedan right now I'd jump on it. We would like an MPV, though, and I was just wondering if you knew whether this specific offer is good on MPVs as well. I just don't want to go to the dealer and have them try and put me in an Escape - oops, I mean Tribute.

Oh, and can I still get the College Grad rebate on top of this offer?

Thanks in advance,
    Jason
  • Options
    There is no mazda that has a $4000 rebate....but you can get there if you use some specific incentives that you may or may not qualify for..but it depends on the car.

example...the 2003 mazda truck has a $3500 rebate and if you qualify for college grad of $500 than your at $4000.

but if you want a mazda 6...the 2003 without a sport package has $2500, plus the conquest certificate for $1000 and college grad gets you to $4000. Same with the 2004 Tribute...but remember, the $1000 conquest cetificate was sent to specific people by mazda and there is no way to "sign up" for it...

Mazda usually informs us about mailers but I am not familiar with the one you got. maybe its regional.
  • Options
    Ad cars reduce more than $4000 in Boston, MA

(1) Quirk Mazda -$5,028 OFF MSRP (must use MAC Financing) on 2004 MPV LX, OR
    (2) 128 Mazda offers $17,795 on 2004 MPV LX (w/rear a/c) Discount Price includes college grad rebate and owner loyalty.
  • Options
    He was asking about specific rebates above and beyond the dealer discounts.
  • Options
    jaserbjaserb Member Posts: 820
    If it's regional I may just have to go ask the dealer about whether the MPV is included or not. Thanks for the info.

-Jason
  • Options
    danogdanog Member Posts: 318
    We purchased an 04 ES about 4 months ago and only received the $1500 cash incentive as this was the only available incentive at that time. We recently decided to check into another vehicle and wanted to know what the value was to compare against trade offers. So far we have only been offered $19000 which is ~$8000 less than what we paid. I know about depreciation but when combined with the new incentives is driving the value of these MPVs really low. I expected to be around $2000 in the red, not $6000.
  • Options
    fredinstlfredinstl Member Posts: 2
    what is your best guess on the MPV incentives in April ? up, down or same ? thanks.

Fred
  • Options
    well remember you paid sales tax and registration fees which add expense to the sale and zero value....so take that right off the price you paid....then figure in the current incentives plus depreciation. Then don't forget to figure in 3000-4000 mark up margin for the selling dealer. This does not mean they will make that much selling it, but you must figure in holding costs plus haggle room...

Hope this helps explain how the dealer arrived at the number.
  • Options
    I understood where the numbers (maybe better than some dealers) come from but wanted anyone buying an MPV to realize how the value will directly relate to other makes. We've had the MPV less than four months and the highest ACV offer from a dealer has been $8000 lower than our OTD price. To me, $8000 anyway you slice it (tax, profit and depreciation) is on the high side.

Since we purchased, the incentives have increased which reduces the value.

We were extended an offer from our local CarMax for instance to buy the MPV from us at $23500 which is significantly more than the dealer ACV.

I'm not an expert at this by any means but this is the type of information I look for when reading posts and I hope it will help those searching for the same information.

Dano
  • Options
    lochlainnlochlainn Member Posts: 1
    In the Chicago area, I just purchased from Wilkins Mazda a new MPV LX with tc, side airbags, roof rack, 4-season package, and lx plus package, for $23,725 (does not reflect rebates), i.e. invoice. The MSRP was $25,765. It was a very good experience. By my calculations, their profit margin was only 3-4% once you take into account the $500 factory to dealer incentive. I calculate the real cost of the vehicle was $22,990. A very fair deal in my book.

They were a great dealership to work with. While they are nearly 30 miles from my home and there is a Mazda dealership only 4 blks away, I still plan to go to Wilkins for most of my maintenance.
  • Options
    Date 9/29/03
    MSRP . . . . . . . .22,925
    Delivery . . . . . . . 520
    Total MSRP . . . . .23,445
    Less Rebate/Discount 4,386
    Drive out price. . .19,059
    Add'l
    Sales Tax 5%
    Registration/plate . . .86
    Dealer Admin fee . . . 195
  • Options
    rbsrbs Member Posts: 2
  • Options
    kinkokinko Member Posts: 48
    I bought the MPV this past weekend using the S-plan. It's is the LX with the LX+ package and roof rack. I also used my college grad. rebate. The dealer gave us another $500 rebate/credit for using Mazda America Credit to finance the MPV. The rate is 4.75% without any fee. So the bottom line, after $3000 off S-plan price is $20K. The bad thing about S-plan was that the price isn't negotiable. The dealer didn't do much to impress me in term of service. The same dealer had an ad on the local paper awhile back to sell the base model LX at $20K. I like the ride of MPV so far.
  • Options
    kolt1kolt1 Member Posts: 25
    2004 LX
    -LX Plus Pkg
    -4 Seasons Towing Pkg
    -Traction Control w/Side Air Bags
    -Power Sliding Doors
    -Whitewater Pearl Paint
    $22175 plus tax and Title @ %4.75 for 60 mos (Mazda Financing). Also includes lifetime free inspections.

What's the consensus? Bring it home or let it sit on the lot??
  • Options
    According to Edmunds, the invoice price with these options : 24,327 (incl $520 dest chg)
    Edmunds TMV : 22,409 (24,409 - Rebate 2,000)

You can get more dealer quotes from edmunds site by input different zip codes further away from where you live.

There is also a link of 'Get full dealer directory' (within 50 miles) at step 4 > lower portion near your zip code input window.
  • Options
    komaxkomax Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a 2003 Silver MPV LX with just these options:

Power sliding doors
    Roof rack
    Rear A/C

MSRP $25,000
    Negotiated Price (Including Rebates) $18,500

They took my Toyota Corolla LE '98 for $4,000.
  • Options
    ajnjajnj Member Posts: 12
    We just put money down on 2003 ES model..
    Invoice is 26590 and we are getting a 4000 rebate with financing.
    It has following options:
    CD Changer
    Mats/cargonet/exhasust tip/
    Power sliding doors
    4 seasons package...

I have 2 questions:
    1. Aren't the power sliding doors standard on 2003 ES?
    2. The rebate is give after sales tax or before sales tax?

Thanks
  • Options
      AM/FM/Cassette Audio System
      Alarm System
      Automatic Dimming Rearview Mirror
      Compact Disc Changer
      DVD Entertainment System
      Fog Lights
      Luggage Rack
      Power Dual Sliding Doors
      Power Heated Mirrors
      Power Moonroof
      Rear Heater
      Rear Spoiler
      Trailer Hitch
    - - - - - - - -
    The Mazda's cash back rebate is deducted before Sales tax calculation. I am not sure of dealer's discount.
  • Options
    That is what I thought.
    I will have to sort it out with the dealer. It saves me 150 dollar (6% tax in NJ).
  • Options
    Thanks Bigdadi, that is what I thought.

The dealer is giving me following:
    Mazda Rebate 2500
    Dealer Rebate 1000
    Finacing Reb 500

I guess 3500 should not be taxed.

Anyone has any idea about mazda rebates on 2003/04 in april-2004.
  • Options
    the rebate stayed the same but the $500 financing rebate is now gone....the $2500 consumer rebate is taxable.
  • Options
    quest132kquest132k Member Posts: 17
    this may depend on what state you live in. I live in Indiana and bought from an Ohio dealer - so there was no sales tax involved in the dealer transaction. I paid the sales tax to Indiana when I went to register the van. I had to pay tax on the invoice line labeled "sale price" - this was before rebate.
  • Options
    I am getting 2004 ES with 4Seasons + some minor options for 3300 below invoice for 24000.

And the other option is 2003 ES with power sliding door+6CD Changer+4Seasons+other minor options... for 4000 below invoice for 22600.

Ofcourse this is before tax and title.

Any inputs which one is a better deal.

Thanks
  • Options
    can you explain how your getting an MPV for $3300 below invoice?...can we see a break down and the dealers name?
  • Options
    2003 ES with with power sliding door+6CD Changer+4Seasons+other minor options

Invoice 26591.

Paid 23500 Out of the door. That is arounf 4700 under invoice. I guess its not a bad deal.

From Open Road Mazda in NJ.

Nice fellow, the salesman.

Audia8g, I was getting 3300 below invoice for 2004 ES at Crystal Mazda in NJ. Had to haggle a little there for this price.
  • Options
    Audia8g, I was getting 3300 below invoice for 2004 ES at Crystal Mazda in NJ. Had to haggle a little there for this price.

Sales man said it is 2500 Rebate and rest from holdback.
  • Options
    like the bottom is falling out on the MPV. We sold our 04 ES Wednesday (4mth old) and bought a 04 Sienna.

Good luck with your vans.

Dano
  • Options
    What was happened to your ES? Is the hardshift tranny still giving you problems? I remember you had the problem after 1st reflash, then the 2nd one, I haven't heard from you since.
  • Options
    We had originally wanted a Sienna and without boring everyone with the story decided that is what we would do.

We haven't had any trouble with the trans reflash so that issue was most likely an incorrect version used on the first attempt.

In fact, the MPV is a very nice van but when we compared it directly beside the Sienna we saw some major differences.

Watching the prices falling as they are the value of the MPV isn't holding very well and we were able to sell it to Carmax for a very minimal loss. The highest cash offer from three dealers was $6000 short of our payoff. The rebates are really hurting values but if your in the market for the MPV it really helps your purchase at the beginning.

FYI, I had called Mazda a few months back and requested the warranty extension as a few have mentioned here and was not given the courtesy of a call back until last Friday. The answer was there were no warranty extensions being offered and that was pretty much the icing on the cake. Telling me no a day or so after would have been acceptable but just dropping the request in the no call bin really torked me at Mazda.

Consumers must demand better support from these corporations or we will continually receive lessor valued products.
  • Options
    I agree with you that MPV is not as good as Sienna. In my case, CR gave me the impression Sienna is #1 while MPV is #3, I can buy a MPV LX for $19K compared with the cheapest Sienna for $24K - 25K. At a saving of $5 - 6K which I can use for a lot of things and only 3-member family, I decided to go with MPV.

So far so good except the hard-shift tranny which was fixed. I am happy with MPV at the price of $19K. The hard-shift problem is new as older MPVs with smaller engine didn't have such tranny problem. My friend also owns a 2000 MPV he recommended it to me.

I browsed the Nissan Quest problem posting, 2004 Nissan Quest, priced at around $25K, is having more problems than MPV. Another friend got a 2004 Quest, he had steering and brake vibrations, passenger door rattlings.
  • Options
    The MPV is a great buy and it really isn't a fair comparison with the Sienna. What we spent on the MPV 4 months ago we could have paid a couple thousand more and got the Sienna.

I can't bad talk the MPV because we actually liked the van, but we decided for us the Sienna was what we wanted.

Hope your MPV continues to provide your enjoyable ownership.
  • Options
    there is apx $545 in holdback on a loaded ES....something isnt adding up.
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Mazda holdback is 2% of the base MSRP (link).

Should be easy enough to do the math (I would, but I'm walking out the door with my snowboard <g>).

Steve, Host
  • Options
    rickc5rickc5 Member Posts: 378
    For us, the Sienna was not even on the radar screen. In our opinion, it is horribly expensive (overpriced), without providing that much more value.

We drove the ES MPV back-to-back against an EX Odyssey in the same afternoon. Again, in our opinion, the MPV offered more "bang for the buck" than the Ody, which would have been at least $3000 more (a comparable Sienna would have cost even more).

In addition, the MPV seemed more luxurious, handled much better, came with more standard features, and was built in Japan. We also didn't require all the extra space the Ody provided. Plus, Honda doesn't offer anything like the 4-Seasons Package or an in-dash six CD changer.

Sure, Mazda is offering smokin' deals to move their vehicles off the lot, but so are many other manufacturers (like the Ford Freestar), except Toyota.

I hope Dano comes back to this forum in a few months and gives us a first-hand report on how the Sienna truly compares to the MPV in the real world. Good luck, Dano.
  • Options
    subearusubearu Member Posts: 3,613
  • Options
    CR rated Ody #2. After browsed Edmund's Ody Problem / Solution posting, It seems to me that the tranny problems on Ody is more serious than MPV's. No question Honda stands behind their service & quality, quickly offered extened warranty on the problemetic tranny. Ody used to be sold in MSRP like Sienna and Honda needs to offer rebate now to attract buyers.
  • Options
    I can report on a few items off the top and I do plan on keeping up with the MPV since I've been here chatting with you guys.

The Sienna is more expensive than the MPV in many cases and since we decided to buy a higher model it wouldn't be fair to compare our Sienna to the MPV ES.

One item right off is the difference in interior size. I think the Sienna is a few inches wider which results in more hip room, seat separation and comfort.

When putting our car seat base in the MPV and then the car seat we could not adjust the second row back enough to not touch the front seat. The Sienna has more front to back seat room. This was one of the more prevalent reasons to switch.

Some minor items include no overhead light switch controlling the interior lights, the shift knob blocking the a/c control and the vibrations that balancing the tires was not correcting.

The shift flare was not an issue as both vans had some problems reported with the trannys.

The MPV drive a bit tighter more like a car probably due to the fact it is built on the same chassis as the Mazda 6 as I understand.

All of this information is individual onion. I'll eventually get to drive the Sienna when the wife gets over the new cartitis and will keep you guys posted.
  • Options
    rickc5rickc5 Member Posts: 378
    I also noticed that many Ody owners were complaining about their transmissions. To make matters worse, there is no quick fix for those problems, just new transmissions. Not good.

The $3K price difference I mentioned was with the local Honda dealer offering $2500 off the MSRP price of the Ody.

Yes, there was noticeably more room in the Ody (and I'm sure the Sienna too) than the MPV. But, we have no kids, and all that extra room also equated to a larger, more cumbersome vehicle to drive and park.

Having been able to drive the Ody and MPV back-to-back, the engine performance seemed totally equal. Any benefit that the Honda may have gained from a larger, more powerful engine (on paper) was offset by the extra 600 lbs of weight the Honda hauls around.

We just filled our MPV for the third time today and got 23.3 MPG, which seems really exciting to us, after owning a Ford Expedition, which never got better than 14 MPG.
  • Options
    Right on! I only have a 13-yr old son. Shorter MPV is OK and drive like a car instead. After the reflash the tranny is silky smooth. Actually I can't find any to complain about my 2003 MPV. For the price of $19K so far I am quite happy with this people and cargo mover. As the other poster said this car has best Bangs For The Bucks. The cheapest minivan is Kia but it's well below MPV in CR rating.
  • Options
    alenabubsalenabubs Member Posts: 27
    Hi all. I could really use some advice. I'm trying to purchase the 2004 MPV with four options (Moonroof, Roof rack, LX package and sliding doors) I'm talking to four different dealer (e-mailed through Edmunds excellent price quote service). Trying to figure out the best price has been challenging, to say the least. I was trying to break down the specifics of the different prices, but it has been very hard -- for instance, 3 of the dealers are giving the options at invoice, one dealer has priced each option higher, yet the fourth dealer's final price is LOWER than the others! So I assume I should focus on bottom-number, out the door price, right?

Also, I'm getting really confused by the $2500 rebate offered. Is that applied BEFORE taxes are done on the car? If someone could clarify how it works, I'd really appreciate it! Thanks in advance.
  • Options
    Sliding doors is standard. Do you mean powered sliding doors?

You should confirm the price on out of the door price and ask them to list other fees, like tax amout, dealer adm fee, or destination charges (if not included in out of the door price)

In MA, don't know other states, the dealer reduced $2,500 rebate, dealer's discount on the MSRP before calculating sales tax. I paid $19,059 on an 2003 LX standard equipt (MSRP $22,925 + Delivery $520 = $23,445). 5% sales tax on $19,059. $160 dealer adm fee (pre-printed on the sales slip). I heard some dealers also can delete the adm. fee instead of saying it's standard charge.
  • Options
    alenabubsalenabubs Member Posts: 27
    Yes, I meant power doors -- sorry about that!
    In New York my best price has been $19,817 (including rebate) $99 (title), tags/license ($169)for total of $24,100. When we spoke on the phone, he did say we'd have to pay an additional $212 on the rebate but he was willing to go down another $100 or so because he didn't indicate on his e-mail, so I'm removing that $212.

So I'm thinking $24,100 is the price to beat.
  • Options
    Here is the way to get quotes from more dealers ...
    Using the Edmunds New Car Quote by entering different zip codes, you can find many more Mazda dealers.

For example
    (1) Input zip code where you live - request quotes from dealers. write down dealer names.
    (2) Back to the page, change zip code to a town 20 miles north of where you live. Bingo! A new list of Mazda dealers comes out, then you do same as step (1) request quotes from dealers and write down dealers names. Write down dealer names is to avoid overlapped, there's a chance same dealer may appear both in step (1) & (2).
    (3) Repaet step (2) and simply change zip code to a town 20 miles on different direction (E., S., or W.) of where you live.

I live in Boston area and I reuested price quote from more than a dozen Mazda's by using about method.

If I can get the best deal, I don't mind to drive 30 mins or more to close the deal. After bought, warranty service can always be done at your nearest Mazda dealer.
  • Options
    Test drive the one you want to buy and will drive for many years to come, not the DEMO.
This discussion has been closed.