Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda MPV Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• statusstatus Member Posts: 4
    Purchased late July, $23,400 including $3K rebate, before taxes. It did come with a roof rack, four season package, and a couple of other minor things.

We bought our at MPV at Wayne Mazda, Wayne, NJ. At the time they had a ton of 'em on the lot. Wayne had the color combo we wanted--Tsunami Blue and gray interior.

We had a very easy buying experience there although it did help that we knew what we wanted after haggling at another dealership and we had all the invoice prices, etc. to show. I think this price was around--or slightly below--the Edmunds TMV.

I thought with the MSRP the MPV was really overpriced. With the rebate and the dealer discount the price became reasonable, and boy, the Mazda dealers were ready to deal! Very different from shopping for Hondas, although I was getting great prices on '04 Odysseys.
  • mmmmmm Member Posts: 6
    I just purchased a 2004 MPV using the S-plan. I'm going to try to post details on that a little later, but first I'm trying to find out if the S-Plan guidelines have changed such that now it is allowable for Mazda dealers to charge a "reasonable and customary" doc fee. The current FAQ on the Fordpartners.com website still states it is not allowable. While purchasing the van, I was shown a letter typed on Mazda corporate letterhead dated June 2004 and signed by a Mazda corporate vice president stating it was now permissible to charge the doc fee. Anyone know anything about this? Audia8q, if you're out there, is this on the up and up? Thanks in advance.
  • audia8qaudia8q Member Posts: 3,138
    Many mazda dealers said they didnt want to participate in the S-plan program because it is generally more trouble than it's worth...so to encourage more dealers to offer the S-plan they officially allow the DOC fee....if the past they just looked the other way if dealers charged it.
  • su_a_vesu_a_ve Member Posts: 82
    What should I expect at this time if I pull the trigger on an 04 ES or LX ? I know the rebates are gone, but should I target below invoice ? And if so, how much below ?

Actually we are looking at two of them. My sis wants the ES. I'm looking at trading in my 01 LX for an 04 LX (wife wants the electric doors).
  • jipsterjipster Member Posts: 6,244
    I would still try to get the rebate suave. I purchased mine in July when the June rebate had run out....got the 3k rebate. Tell them you will buy if you get the rebate...then see what they say. I would think they may be coming out with another rebate offer in the next week or two. If not I'd say $500 below invoice would be obtainable.Good luck.
    2020 Honda Accord EX-L, 2011 Hyundai Veracruz, 2010 Mercury Milan Premiere, 2007 Kia Optima
  • su_a_vesu_a_ve Member Posts: 82
    Looks like I'll be going for the 05 instead. There's a 2000 or 2500 dealer cash apparently going on. I have a dealer that is giving me that or still the 3500 on the 04s, but inventory for those is low (with the features I want)
  • ldl20ldl20 Member Posts: 10
    04' LX in Sunlight Silver, purchased at Wayne Mazda, NJ (didn't get the dreaded 4- box treatment or What do I have to do.... routine).
    Options: LX Plus, Traction-side air bags, 4 seasons, roof rack, wheel locks, cargo net, for 20,600, plus tax with 3.9 % financing. I told them I knew what they were going for (Edmunds, Cars Direct), gave them a price, and they didn't screw around. Highly recommended dealer.
    Congrats on your great deal Idl20 and welcome to the club.Let us know how your van is doing from time to time.
    2020 Honda Accord EX-L, 2011 Hyundai Veracruz, 2010 Mercury Milan Premiere, 2007 Kia Optima
  • stinklepinkstinklepink Member Posts: 2
    Bought a Sunlight Silver 2004 from Capital Cary in Cary, NC. Options installed:

<> 4-Season Package
    <> Power Moon Roof
    <> Rear Spoiler

Paid $24,170 ($28,620 - about $500 over what Edmunds quoted as Invoice, and took the $4,250 rebate). I had a PIN for S-plan pricing and I got a better deal without it. They were not going to give me full trade-in value on my Toyota if I used it.

Had a pretty good experience at the dealer. We both fought hard for what we wanted an tempers definetly flared. However, in the end I did my homework and he went down as low as he could go and that was apparent.
    Post sales experience was great. Felt like I was buying a Mercedes.
  • way2goway2go Member Posts: 1
    Purchased from Jim Ellis Mazda. Started with Internet quotes, mostly handled over the phone however. 2004 Mazda MPV with LX Plus, Whitewater Pearl Paint, and I thought a cargo net. Have to call tomorrow to see (not holding my breath, my fault for not looking over everything). Good experience by the way. Everyone is real friendly and answered every question I threw at them. Not one time did anyone ask me what monthly payment I was looking for. Negotiated down to $18,500 before tax, tag, title and they beat my prearranged financing of 4.95% with 4.14%.
  • danp1danp1 Member Posts: 3
    Thanks to Edmunds for all the useful information. Buying any vehicle is a challenge so all info helps.

I purchased MPV LX today in MPLS area. Looking forward to lots of fun miles. Details: Silver, LX plus, 4-seasons, traction control/side airbags, roof rack, spoiler, paint care package (autoporter?).
    Price 20100 before tax/license (-) 2000.00 trade on 1993 accord with issues including some rust = 18100.00.
    Sales experience: ordinary. Sales guy used classic "What do I have to do to get you into a car tonight" line -I laughed-and made several trips into his managers office to present my counteroffers.
    I like Mazda even though the brand does not have the perceived cachet/resale value of honda/toyota. My 1999 626 at 70k basically flawless. Not flashy, but real solid performer with great options (moonroof,bose). That is my bottom line. Mazda builds solid vehicles, packages them with lots of options for $$$ less than Honda etc. In my experience: Honda is very pricy to buy and repair.

Anyway, Not sure when my vehicle was built. Any special hints on what to check for at vehicle pick-up would be appreciated.
  • jaserbjaserb Member Posts: 820
    If it's an '04 make sure they've done the airbag recall and the transmission shift shock TSB, assuming you fall into the affected ranges. If you register on mazdausa.com you can enter the VIN and see any outstanding campaigns on your car. Very slick. There's tons more MPV info on a really great web site out there. I can't tell you the name, but if you punch MPV club into Google and hit "I'm feeling lucky" you might just get there.

Great little vans - mine's an '04 speced out just like yours but without the roof rack or Traction Control / SAB package.

I believe the build date is on the driver's door frame but I can't remember for sure.

-Jason
  • templetontempleton Member Posts: 1
    Bought a 2004 ES with leather, DVD, rear heat, and a roof rack for $24,659 after the $4,250 rebate. I tried all the minivans and it came down to the MPV and the Honda Ody. Honda only felt a little bigger on the inside and a lot more clunky in the parking lot. MPV Reliability ratings are slightly higher than the Honda, safety ratings slightly lower. Ultimately it came down to price. The MPV with the rebate was about $6000 less than a comparably equiped Honda EX-L.
    JaserB, See my note dtd 120104. I bought a 2004 MPV. Driving for three days now. I will check the airbag and shift shock tsb-thanks for the info. First impressions: good ride and nice looks (I knew that!). Does your van give alot of wind noise from the windshield area at highway speed? DanP
    Jaserb, I bought a 2004. Thanks for the info-driving for two weeks now. No problems.
    Ours is nearing 5k miles now and we really like it. A bit of wind noise but nothing unreasonable considering you're basically pushing a shoe box through the air at 70 MPH.

Enjoy yours!

-Jason
  • rgb2rgb2 Member Posts: 31
    Bought a leftover silver '04 ES with sunroof, 4-seasons, and roof rack for $22,520 ($25,018 out-the-door).

The price includes $1000 Mazda financing incentive for getting a loan @6.9 for 60 months.
  • newhampsternewhampster Member Posts: 11
    Instead of 0% financing, there is a $3,000 dealer incentive for MPVs until 2/28/05. Edmunds shows this, but other sites and even some Mazda salespeople aren't very aware.

Couple that with a $1,000 incentive to finance with Mazda (can always refinance with another lender).

Then work with a dealer that will sell at or close to invoice, and that takes off another $1,900 (goal) for even a base LX. For a more upscale MPV there is even more to work with. One around here sells about $200 above invoice and will even find a car on a non-competitor's lot to get the right car & color.

Hard to say if these incentives will continue past Feb., but one salesperson said the selling season generally picks up in March. Any past history with incentives like these continuing?
    I am purely speculating but I feel the MPV incentives may be pulled back once the Mazda5 arrives....

With the big MPV incentives it can be had for the same price range of the new MZ5...I don't know if thats good or not.
  • youssouyoussou Member Posts: 5
    For those of you in the know, what would be good prices for the following models (before any rebates are deducted):

1. 2004 LX w/ LX Plus, side airbags & TC, DVD,

roof rack, and wheel locks (MSRP: 26,770.00)

2. 2004 LX w/ side airbags & TC (MSRP: 23,885.00)

3. 2004 LX w/ LX Plus (MSRP: 24,990.00)

4. 2005 LX w/ LX Plus, side airbags & TC,

bumper, spoiler (MSRP: 25,645.00)

Also, is anyone aware of a pet cargo net for the back area with the 3rd row folded down (to keep doggie from getting up into the 2nd row area)?

Thanks...
  • subearusubearu Member Posts: 3,613
    You'd think that Mazda wouldn't want to kill the sales they are getting on the MPV by stopping the incentives. If it was a new revised MPV, then sure. But, seeing as they do next to no advertising for the MPV, why kill the thing that makes 'em attractive for shoppers?

Is there much of a waiting list for the MZ5 already?

-Brian
    Was your $18,100.00 price after rebates or before?
    Was your price of $20,600 before rebates, or were those not available in October?
    If you can get an MSRP $25k MPV for $19k after rebates and discounts, and the Mazda5 has a sticker of $19k, folks are going to expect bigger price breaks on the 5. It's a nice vehicle, but why wouldn't you take the bigger van with the V6 for roughly the same price? Now, if transaction prices for the MPV move towards $21k or so - and as expensive as Honda and Toyota have gotten I think there's room in that range - it's a lot easier to move 5s without dropping $3k on the hood. I think Rich is probably right on here.

-Jason
    When the new MPV comes out there will be a more clear distinction between the 5 and the MPV.Both in looks,size and price.
    The more I think about it the less I'm concerned about the two vehicles and incentives....

we have a similar situation now...the MZ3 is selling without any incentives but the MZ6 has some incentives which brings it right into MZ3 price range. we have seen plenty of folks come in to buy the MZ3 and leave with a MZ6 based on their perception that the MZ6 is a better deal based on the discounts.

I think the MZ5 will bring in folks who are product curious...I'm sure a certain percentage will see the big discounts on the MPV and feel bigger for the same price is better. The MZ5 may not be for everyone but getting new faces into the showroom will result in sales...mazda's are easy to like.
    You can say that again. I got a flier in the mail good for $500 off any new Mazda - from Gerber, as strange as that seems. I keep trying to convince the CFO that between the college grad rebate, the Gerber certificate, and all the incentives that I really ought to let that poor lonely leftover '04 Mazdaspeed Miata follow me home. So far she isn't biting, but if I get a promotion...

Rich, are there still any incentives on the '04s or has it gone to dealer cash?

-Jason
    in the Northeast the 2004 Miata's have $2000 dealer cash and $2000 customer cash, including the Speed.....For somebody in the market for a Miata, the incentives make things very attractive.
    Assuming 2005 models, it all depends on whether you go with the Mazda financing (take off $1,000) and get the dealer incentive ($3,000 off). Other option is 0% financing, but if you run the numbers it isn't as good a deal as $3,000 off.

These aside, your MPVs have about $1,900 - ~$2,500 invoice->MSRP mark-up. Use Edmunds invoice prices to negotiate from invoice -- perhaps a hundred or two over invoice *plus* the other incentives. I found having the invoice numbers in writing, including the options invoice pricing, tends to humble the dealers, particularly if competing dealers offer MPVs near invoice. I have seen new 2004 MPVs advertised in the Boston area for $7,000 off, but just having the "2004" label may lower the value of the car more than one thousand in depreciation right off the bat.

Personally, I think the LX+ Package is an overpriced option at $1,500. A lot of MPVs have it, and it it is prerequisite for other options such as the Sport Package or the All Seasons Package. A fair amount of individual options can be dealer installed, but the dealer-install price is higher than the factory price. If they really want your business, dealers can also swap from other lots -- try searching MPV inventory on the Mazda site for cars outside the dealer's competitive area. Good luck!
    When is the new MPV coming out? Is Mazda focusing on the Mazda5 for its 2006 (mini-)minivan darling, then waiting a year or so for a new MPV? Or are they releasing a new MPV in 2006 as well? Or is Mazda getting rid of the MPV altogether?

Plenty of buzz about the Mazda5, but seems like virtually no information on the fate of the MPV.

What Mazda does could seriously affect future resale values of current MPV buyers, like myself.
  • mcsapmcsap Member Posts: 15
    Got it for $17,900 after all rebates etc. This was the teaser vehicle to get people in the door and than try to get them into a higher priced vehicle ( the saleslady told me this). We took it as it was. The only options were a roofrack and the rear bumper step cover.
  • beajetbeajet Member Posts: 1
    Test drove an MPV. The misses and i fell in love with it. Bought a new 04 MPV LX plus with moon roof, power doors and side impact air bags. Listed at $26,640.00 we have use of the X-plan so this dropped us to $200.00 below invoice,minus $4,000.00 from Mazda, then financed through Mazda for an added $1,000.00 off (high rate but going to refinance for almost 1/3 the % rate). Before trade we where at $17,500.00. Not bad for now a days purchase of what I see as a quality sound vehicle.
  • charlotte7charlotte7 Member Posts: 144
    Was this an 04 or an 05 model? I have access to the S-plan, too, but I can't seem to find anything online that will tell me the S-plan price per Mazda vehicle. What was the S-plan price for your MPV?
  • lumbarlumbar Member Posts: 421
    Just curious--Mazda gives you the $1,000 but does -not- essentially restrict refinancing in the "fine print" or levy an excessive prepayment penalty? Seems like a good way for a company to lose some serious bucks by relying on people just not wanting to go to the inconvenience of refinancing.
  • subearusubearu Member Posts: 3,613
    You should be able to provide a PIN on the ford partner site to get the s-plan pricing for ford and mazda vehicles. Ask the person you'd get the PIN from about the site.

-Brian
    Yep, Mazda is fairly generous offering a $1,000 discount and not having a pre-payment penalty. Of course the rate is market rate (7.25% in our case 2/05), and they are hoping that enough customers will stick with them rather than go through the hassle of refinancing. Our dealer said "please make at least 3 payments or the dealership will have to pay Mazda an early termination fee." Fair enough.
    Mazda is continuing the $3,000 dealer incentive at least through April. I think their reasoning is "We are spending about 3 cents on marketing, so lets take the money saved and pass it on as a dealer incentive." Spotty effectiveness. Not much buzz to get people in the showroom to begin with, particularly when they are up against the cachet/modernity of the Honda and Toyota, and the aggressive pricing of the Dodge/Chrysler and Kia minivans. But they also want to focus attention on their new Mazda5 mini-minivan, so the MPV is left in the shadows. And Consumer Reports is still giving the MPV a black dot even though it appears the transmission problem is past history. From what I can tell, build quality is excellent.

Too bad, we like our 2005 MPV. Bought in Feb '05 -- list $25,724 bought for $19,800 out the door with $3,000 dealer incentive, $1,000 MAC financing incentive, and $1,924 dealer discount (about $200 above invoice). And this is from a dealer not known for big discounts -- helped a lot having a competitor willing to sell at $100 above invoice.

They may be also laying low marketing-wise because of the 6 month(?) gap in availability from the fire at their Japanese manufacturing plant. This is probably starting to show up now in spotty trim availability.
  • hansiennahansienna Member Posts: 2,312
    The Mazda MPV is too nice for the lack of interest in this forum. :cry:
  • abangabang Member Posts: 44
    The latest I heard on autoblog.com is that Mazda is considering dropping the MPV from the North American market. The new MPV is based on the Mazda 6 chassis and will still be about the same size as the current MPV. Mazda does not think there's a market for small mini vans in the USA. They are considering the Mazda 5 as their product for the mini van market. Too bad, I'm one of those who don't like driving porkers such as the Sienna, Odyssey and Quest.
    There is no MPV for 2006.
    MAY be a MPV for 2007. Mazda has not decided yet. I understand 2007 MPV would not be much bigger than current generation. Is build more for Japanese market, Canada...Europe where a smaller minivan is in demand. Looks like the Mazda 5 will be an option for those in the market for a smaller minivan.
  • hansiennahansienna Member Posts: 2,312
    Won't the Mazda 5 be more like a small station wagon than a minivan?
    It seems strange that Mazda would abandon the minivan market when KIA is bringing out a new, improved, larger KIA Sedona that has more power and will get better gas mileage than the current Sedona. ;)
    Does that mean we can expect serious discounts on the 2005 MPVs? When would be the best time to buy one this year? One of the dealers near me still has 2004s!
    jipster...at this point the 2007 is a no-go also.

charlotte7... the incentives are pertty big on the MPV now...I wouldnt hold my breath waiting for them to get bigger...

Let's not forget that Mazda will have another SUV that is larger than the Tribute/CX-7 and it will have third row seating. this vehicle is expected for 2007.
  • lumbarlumbar Member Posts: 421
    I certainly have no inside info, but IMO news of the MPV's "demise" is likely to hurt what remaining demand might be out there--people tend not to be too fond of vehicles that will not continue in a product line. Since they aren't exactly moving off the lots quickly now, it would seem that, if Mazda is serious about moving the remaining vehicles, they may have to sweeten the pot. One thing's for sure, the incentives aren't going to get any smaller, so, unless there's a reeally special vehicle one is after, it shouldn't hurt to wait.

And why does it strike me as strange that Mazda feels that the MPV may be too small for our tastes, but is "replacing" it (at least temprarily, with a smaller vehicle?
    I'm asking because my local dealer is advertising a stripper LX for 19,995 plus TTL--they're arriving at this price by some dealer rebate and then a dealer discount. Nowhere does it mention the current $3250 customer cash that Mazda themselves are offering and I'm wondering if this is applicable to their advertised price--plus I have access to the S-plan. If all these discounts applied, I'm theoretically looking at an MPV for about 16, 17K, I think?

I'm currently holding out on choosing a new vehicle until I see the Mazda5 and the Chevy HHR, but the MPV is my next front-runner.
    Rebates are likely to get larger as the year progresses. Last year I bought by MPV July 1st when it came with a $3,000 rebate. One week later it had gone up to $3,500 rebate. I think it may have topped off at $4,000...not sure. I can see it getting to $4,000 towards the end of summer, and maybe $5,000 towards the end of the year.Plus, with good credit you can get $1,000 back when financed thru Mazda with other incentives for college, military , loyal customer etc.

Hans, I think the Mazda 5 will be more like a big station wagon with the minivan side sliding doors. It's built on the Mazda 3 platform so it won't be minivan big. It will have 3 rows of seats. Will have a manual or auto transmission,160 hp engine.

The Mazda 5 fits better under the Mazda Zoom Zoom image it tries to project. I guess they feel they can't project this image very well on a large minivan. Take a look at pics of the 5 on the Mazda boards. Looks pretty sharp.
  • bringerbringer Member Posts: 4
    I made a deal with a Southern California internet sales manager over the phone. He said that he had located the vehicle but that he didn't have it yet and thus wanted to put off providing me with the VIN until he actually had the vehicle. I searched the Mazda inventory within 150 miles of my zip code and couldn't find a vehicle with the features I wanted so I was very happy to hear that someone had located the vehicle. (MPV ES, 4 seasons, spoiler, DVD, autodim mirror w/ homelink, roof rack) MY QUESTION: Where is the vehicle and what is the possibility the dealer won't get it in the end. Is it something that is being manufactured now and was promised to another dealership or something? Is the dealer having some PIO stuff put on it?
    The only reason he wouldnt be able to provide you with a VIN is if the vehcile is still in the process of being manufactured and is still at the plant. Doubtful since the plant is in Hisoshima,Japan. He may be trying to hold onto you until he does find the vehicle you are looking for. Or, stall until the vehicle comes in. He give you a good deal? If he tries to offer you something other than what you ordered...you will know he is a rotten egg.
    Good luck.
  • osufans2osufans2 Member Posts: 14
    What is the lastest rebate, incentive, finance...etc for the MPV? I am contemplating between the MPV ES and the Ody EX-L. I liked both but the final pricing on the vehicles will basically make the decision for me. If there is a < $5000 between the 2, comparatively loaded, I am going with the Ody. If not, MPV it is.
This discussion has been closed.