Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda MPV Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• audia8qaudia8q Member Posts: 3,138
    What is your source of information about the 300$ holdback?

the book of 200 or so invoices sitting on my desk. I'm a dealer.
  • djuangdjuang Member Posts: 3
    Hi,

I just got a new Mazda MPV ES. It was just great. But it did not come with a DVD system. To save a few bucks, I am thinking about getting a DVD system in stores like Best Buy or Circuit City. Can anybody share some experience about installing a DVD system out of dealership?

Don Juang
  • asafonovasafonov Member Posts: 401
    Thank you for pointing this out the date on the article. I still think this was the then-current mfr-to-dealer incentive. $1500 is about 6-7% of MSRP on the MPV, it is way to high for a holdback.
  • frogit22frogit22 Member Posts: 2
    I just purchased a 2005 MPV LX - sunlight silver metallic with the only options being a roof rack and the floor mats. Here is what I paid:

I had a trade with a negotiated value of $6000 (about $400 below Kelly Blue Book - it was a 5 speed and was a 1999 with 86000 miles on it).

The out the door price was $14,120 including my trade in and all of the rebates and ttl. Let me see if I can back in to what this means off of sticker. I am doing this from memory so it is probably +/- $200 or so. Did not pay for glass etching.

Purchased at New London Mazda, New London, CT.

Actual sticker price on the vehicle window was $23,882.

$14,120 out the door
    $6,000 trade in
    $169 conveyance
    $85 Title, license
    $1,015 sales tax (approx.)

$23,885 sticker
    $6,000 trade in (subtract)
    $3,000 mazda rebate (subtract)
    $1,000 Mazda american credit rebate (subtract)
    $1,015 sales tax (add)
    $169 conveyance (add)
    $85 title, licencse (add)
    $14,120 out the door price paid (subtract)

difference - $1,034 = amount dealer (effectively) lowered sticker price.

Total price including $4000 rebates and dealer reduction (before taxes, licence, etc). -

23,885 - 4,000 - 1,034 = $18,851
  • jipsterjipster Member Posts: 6,244
    Congrats...sounds like a good deal frog. What's a conveyance fee though($169)...some type of dealer fee?
    2020 Honda Accord EX-L, 2011 Hyundai Veracruz, 2010 Mercury Milan Premiere, 2007 Kia Optima
  • frogit22frogit22 Member Posts: 2
    In CT they charge you around $150 to $200 for "conveyance" Basically you are paying them to fill out the DMV forms.
  • chisfu1chisfu1 Member Posts: 25
    I bought another 2005 MPV last Saturday since the dearlership really gave me a good discount... 30 percent, almost $9000 OFF of MSRP! I got the Razor Blue ES model. I hope I can get the fully loaded model with all the toys for around $32K with $9600 off, but they only have four ES left... Black, White, Sand or Blue..., all of them are base ES with few options for around $29.5K with $8900 off.

I got the Blue one since the color is not as common as the other three, plus it's a very good looking one. They don't make the Razor Blue in 2006 which make it even better for me since I want my car to be more different from others!

The drive out price is around $20.5K plus tax... a very good deal and I am going to keep it for 5 plus years!
  • aj4aj4 Member Posts: 14
    Seems like a really good deal.

Edmunds and carsdirect are showing about 23K for base ES model, after considering 4k rebates.
    Yes, it is a very good deal! Since it is a year end inventory sell out. I will save more than ten thousand dollars for a similar equiped Honda EXL or Toyota XLE if I am going to keep the van for 5+ years (8K on initial cost and 3K on financing cost)!

In my opinion, MPV is the most reliable van in the market if you take good care of it! I have driven the 1990 model and 2003 model, never have any problem except oil change, tires and brake services. Hope my 2005 model will be the same for the years to come!
  • himalayahimalaya Member Posts: 6
    I got brand new 2005 Mazda MPV-ES base model with no option
    at 30% off base MSRP ($29065) = $20345. The drive out price
    with including tax/title/tag/adv fee came to around $22K.
    I think it is a very good deal. Even at the end of the last
    day of Mazda deal that's going on right now ($4000.00 off)
    I tried to get similar quote from other dealers in the same
    area but no one gave, most of them just offered the $4000
    off. Dealer was excellent, every thing went very fine and I
    did not have any problem with pressure/haggling. My good
    research worked.

One question though inspite of my excellent credit history
    I was offered 8.9% APR for 5 years, did anyone have similar
    experience? I am anyway going to pay off the remaining at
    the end of 4th payment!

This new van is amazing, fits perfectly well in my GARAGE
    (compared to Sienna/Ody) and my kids love it. :)
    Congratulations himalaya. Best deal on MPV that I have ever seen on this board.I believe we were offered 5.9%(excellent credit) back in July 04 with our MPV.But, we got 4.9% thru the wifes credit union. Perhaps the dealership was just trying to make a little money back on the deal???
    2020 Honda Accord EX-L, 2011 Hyundai Veracruz, 2010 Mercury Milan Premiere, 2007 Kia Optima
  • jc9799jc9799 Member Posts: 70
    "...inspite of my excellent credit history
    I was offered 8.9% APR for 5 years, did anyone have similar experience?..."

Sometimes Mazda will offer an extra $1000 if you finance with Mazda Credit. I think with this offer they raise the APR a little bit.

BTW, congrats on the new van.
  • wkeyswkeys Member Posts: 3
    You were offered a vehicle at INVOICE but you are hesitant because you would lose $1500 on your trade? Just what is the trade that you are so in love with that you expect to get another $1500 for? It's 6 of one and a half dozen of the other. The dealership knocked their price down to invoice and usually the customer expects top dollar (nearly retail) for their trade because they booked them out on their home computer. I have never seen a correct KBB report (or other) brought in buy a customer.
    I would say take the deal and keep your trade out of the equasion, but that INVOICE price might only be with your trade included.
    I fully agree with you, I did take the $1000 MAC rebate
    credit. And ofcourse dealer would like to make some money
    out of this transaction and that's why probably increased
    the APR. Outside I am getting 5.4% APR with 60 months.

I was reading through the papers after the purchase and
    found that in the credit approval form it says "There is
    no Pre-Payment Penalty" that being said can I pay the
    amount in full and refinance from some other bank? Where
    does it say that to avail $1000.00 MAC rebate one has to
    make minimum of 3-4 payments? In my case the $1000.00 is
    going to the dealer as the reduced price included the
    $3000 + $1000 since dealer retained all cash rewards and
    incentives from Mazda?

Appreciate if someone could share some information
    regarding this! :):):)
    Would you tell me where you got your MPV? What color you get and what's the mpg you got so far? Are you happy with your MPV so far?
    I got it from a dealer in Atlanta/GA. Color is Rally White.
    Haven't yet got my tank emptied. Since I have done so much
    of searching for Minivan for long time, definitely I am
    very happy with my MPV.

NOTE:- If you comparing this Minivan Against Sienna/Ody or
    any other larger size Minivan you just need to know this
    MPV is slightly smaller. However for a family of 4 it is a
    very perfect van and it can easily accomodate upto 6 people
    without any problem. Since most of the time my Wife is
    going to drive this minivan, she finds is much more
    convenient to drive this one compared to Sienna/Ody that
    are larger in size.
  • rlippsrlipps Member Posts: 2
    Can you tell me the Dealer name and location? Thank you!
  • rlippsrlipps Member Posts: 2
    Hi, can you tell me the name and city of the dealer you got this at? Thanks.
    http://www.jimellis.com jim ellis of mazda at Marietta/GA.

Let me know if you are interested to talk to the salesman I
    dealt with!
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,830
    Sorry... no salesperson information on the forums...

Thanks,
    kyfdx
    Host-Prices Paid Forums

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Thanks for pointing out. I just realized that I should not
    have mentioned about this on this forum!

Sorry about it, will never happen again :)
  • chevybarnchevybarn Member Posts: 3
    I bought my 05 MPV back in Oct and was unhappy with the interest rate (7.99%) but had gone too far to back out by the time they gave me the rate. What didn't make sense is another dealer had given us a quote of 5.something (and was approved because of our excellent credit) but we didn't buy from them because of a different problem (long story!). Anyhow, the 7.99% dealer said we could refinance somewhere else after 90 days. I called Mazda credit after making 2 payments, and they said that there would be no penalty if we paid off the loan right away. So I'm guessing the sales people make something off the interest rates and also hope that you don't refinance. Wish I had called Mazda credit sooner.....
    I got the blue one after driving the white, black and blue in the same place you got yours. Mine has the roof rack, step plate and cargo net, which cost me $300 more than yours! Actually, I preferred the sand one with the compass, outside temperature and homelink with another $200 more... but the color is not as good as the blue one I bought.

Anyway, it's good to know you got it from the same place as I did! So far, I noticed two issues after driving it for 3 weeks: first, I found the tire is not well-balanced so it's a little bit vibrating during highway speed. Second, the LED display is smaller than my 2003 MPV plus the control buttons on the wheel is not as user-friendly as my old one. My 2003 MPV has bigger buttons that are very easy to use...volume controls and cruise controls.
    Congratulation(s)!!!! Did you get ES or LX model? Mine is
    just the Base ES model (I found out it has most of the
    features/options that I wanted in a minivan so decided not
    to go for any extra options/accessories). I was considering
    roof-rack but the decided not to go for it as I figured out
    for my family size I would never use it so decided not to
    invest anymore on it.

So far I have not noticed any problem with my ES, it's
    running well and I am trying not to drive over speed for
    the first 1000 miles (Have done the same on my prevoius
    new Toyota Cars).

So far city + highway it has given 21 mpg. Which looks fine
    to me....
  • jimmy1969jimmy1969 Member Posts: 8
    I bought my first Mazda product and so far I love it. I looked at other minivan choices, (Odyssey, Sienna, GM's) none of them came close to the price or features that I got on the MPV!

Mine is a Silver LX with 4 seasons package and towing package. Heated mirrors, tranny cooler, rear air, larger wiper washer fluid resevoir. I got the Mazda "S" plan through work and great rebates. Here is the breakdown:

25,430-Sticker Price
    -1,801-S-Plan Discount
    -2,500-Rebate
    -1,000-Mazda Credit Cash
    - 900-Dealer Cash Discount
    - 500-S-Plan Dealer Hit & Win Dealer Cash (Not Sure?)
    -1,500-Trade-In (1998 Pontiac Transport 145,000 mi)

+ 149- Doc Fee

Total Financed $17,378

I am very happy!! :)
  • bwlevybwlevy Member Posts: 1
    My wife and I purchased a Mazda MPV LX-SV a couple of days ago.

It seemed to be a month of Sundays. I worked a deal with a local KIA dealer for a a 2005 KIA Sedona for 16k even. After getting the best deal at KIA, we left KIA to get some food and discuss everything on our own time as well as stop by the local Mazda dealer. We stopped in at Jim Click Mazda, and left with a new 2005 MPV, (msrp of 22665, which doesn't mean a whole lot to me,) for 16,600.

I am very pleased. The salesman, sales manager, general manager and finance manager were very proffesional.

I think this MPV will be one of our best investments! :)
    Is it made by Mazda or do we have a Ford 6 cyl? I called my dealer and they tell me Mazda, but a friend of mine swears it is a Ford Duratec V6. Anyone know for sure?

Jimmy
    A good place to ask this question would be in the general Mazda MPV forum..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• jaserbjaserb Member Posts: 820
    It's a Ford Duratec. Mazda did some work on the heads, but it's the same basic engine. That's not a bad thing - the Duratec is a very good motor. It's much better than the Mazda design used in the old style MPVs.

-Jason
    Jason,

Thanks for the information. Do you know if there are any reliability issues with this motor that I should know about?

Jimmy
    "any reliability issues with this motor.."

From what I have read, the Duratec 3.0 is a highly reliable engine
  • jaserbjaserb Member Posts: 820
    It is a very reliable motor. Also, unlike some Japanese motors there's no timing belt to replace, so the maintenance costs are lower as well.

-Jason
    Thanks for the information.

Jimmy
  • gurneyhalleckgurneyhalleck Member Posts: 8
    Hey everybody, my wife and i have about $15,000 to spend and I see plenty of low mileage MPV's for sale all over California, usually being former short-term rentals/shuttles. I drove an MPV and LOVED the way it drove, thought the interior was sweet and generally wife and I adored it. Problem is, I'm not sure if the reliability is up to the old school Mazda I grew up with. So many Ford parts, Duratec motor/Ford Transmission, I read in Consumer Reports about bad trannys and other things. JD Power rated it really low in mechanical quality. How do you think the Mazda stands vs. Dodge Caravan, Kia Sedona? My dad has a 1996 Mazda MPV and that thing is bullet proof!! He's driven that thing over 110,000 and only replaced batteries and tires! Has the same brakes on it as from factory, everything! Timing belt had to be changed, obviously, but that rig is solid!! That being said, it had a REAL Mazda engine, not a Ford. What do you guys think?
  • jmacdonald1jmacdonald1 Member Posts: 1
    Shopping for a 2005 MPV-ES and can't find any info on dealer incentives/marketing assistance/customer rebates. Told by dealer in Milwaukee there is $3000 rebate, $1000 Mazda credit cash, $1000 autoshow cash + $250 autoshow Mazda Credit cash( Autoshow just ended). Dealer quoted $248 over invoice which came to $7306 off MSRP. However a Chicago dealer offered $8000 off MSRP with $3000 rebate and $1000 Mazda credit cash.

None of the sites I looked at on the net including this one has any info on 2005 Mazda incentives. Anyone have any ideas??
  • sparkertsparkert Member Posts: 5
    I really want an MVP!!! However, I also want to pay 15000, tops out the door price on any model from 2003 on. Am I insane? I have seen some listings on autotrader.com for 14500 and the like (pre taxes and fees) but figure there won't be much bargaining room since those prices are below the edmonds appraisals.

Am I pie in the sky or do I have a chance? Has anyone recently bought a late-model used MVP and can describe their experience?

Also - am I correct in assuming these vehicles are not as popular as other minivans (such as the much-lauded Hondas and Toyotas)?

Sara
    Are you insane? Possibly. But, you can get any 2003 or 2004 for 15k out the door...and probably a used 2005...with money left over for some of that pie you were talking about.

And yes, the MPV is more popular(with me) than the overhyped Hondas and Toyotas.
  • rgb2rgb2 Member Posts: 31
    You should be able to get a used 2003-2004 for this amount. However, I suggest you look into getting a leftover 2005 LX-SV, the base model, for about the same, maybe a grand more. The huge pluses (in my book) of that is :
    1) You are the only person who ever abused/maintained the car.
    2) You get 4 years/50K miles of worry-free motoring.(warranty+roadside assistance+loaner if any repairs)
    3) More reliable car since no changes 2004-2005, the production line worked out all the quirks.
  • sparkertsparkert Member Posts: 5
    So by 'leftover' you mean new? With virtually no miles? That is very interesting.

We are seriously considering getting a broker (one with a very good reputation, although here I supposedly can't mention his name). He states that he can get us a price about 3000 lower than we would at a dealership - of course, his fees are quite high. He wants 900, plus 1-300 for auction fees. I wonder if he means 3000 less than asking, or 3000 less than what I would get after using mediocre bargaining techniques.

I don't know if I can get as good a deal at a dealership if we don't use him, but I'm not sure if its such a good idea when you factor in his substantial fees. Will we be paying mainly for convenience?

Has anyone else used a broker? Was it worth it?

sparkert
  • jade_danejade_dane Member Posts: 1
    I have been debating which to purchase.
    2000 Mazda MPV, 4 door, ES, Leather - 102,000 for $6900
    or
    2000 Toyota Sienna, 4 door, CE, Velour - 50,000 for $10,880

I have read that the main problems with the MPV is the horse power, hard shifting and road noise.
    The Toyota is plagued with --- well, not much.
    Are the MPV issues worth the $4000 difference?
    Thanks in advance - - :confuse:
    IMO, just the mileage difference would be worth $4K.. Throw the Mazda vs. Toyota thing in there, and the Sienna wins hands down... even with the lower trim level..

102K vs. 50K? No contest..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• subearusubearu Member Posts: 3,613
    The '00 MPV had a 2.5L V6 which produced somewhere in the neighborhood of 160hp or so. '02+ gets the 3.0L V6 with 200hp.

Mileage is one thing. Which do you feel more comfortable in? Have you driven both in similar drives?

-Brian
    he states he can get us a price about 3000 lower...He want $900,plus 1-300 for auction fees.

He probably means he can get it for $3,000 less...assuming you are a horrible negotiator and know nothing about buying cars. There is a low demand for MPV's...that is why they have high discounts/rebates.

I would save my money and pass on the broker. Read these boards on Edmunds (MPV prices paid, Purchasing Strategies etc) Find a van you like and write back here...we'll help you out on the price. You should be able to get rock bottom price on a MPV whether you use a broker or not. I would be cautious as well about buying a vehicle at auction.
    Agree with kyfdx, jade. If you have narrowed it down between these two vans, I would take the 50k Sienna. The 100k mile marker is usually the one where parts "can" start to wear out.
    Also agree that broker is not worth it in the particular case of MPV.

Check out Mazda USA website. You can search for the new car dealer inventory in your area (and you can specify 2005 model!). Then contact them over the web or fax.

FYI, I got my leftover '04 MPV ES in Jan of '05 for over $8K under MSRP with no stress in negotiations.
  • lpraszlprasz Member Posts: 1
    I own a 2000 MPV ES 4-door Leather. I bought it brand new in Oct 1999. ( it has 82k right now)I have had nothing but problems with it. I'd like to be clear that I am a soccer mom who takes excellent care of her vehicle. Every oil change on time at the dealer. Every recommended maintenance from the manual done on time at the dealer. It looks like new. It runs like something else. I needed a new transmission at 18k. Then my front suspension Rod snapped at 66K. My power windows went out at 65K. New oil pan at 75K. I needed new plugs and wires at 51K. 2 years later, my car needs them AGAIN. At this very moment, my car is at the dealer with a cracked radiator, leaking water pump, leaking wide pipe, all which have to be replaced. That is in addition to the new plugs and wires. Total bill ready for me this afternoon...$2700. That doesn't include the regular maintenance I am on my 3rd set of brakes and tires. Buy the Toyota!!!!!
  • louisvillecarslouisvillecars Member Posts: 1
    Mazda stopped posting them at the end of February. At that time they were $3000 + $1000 for financing through MAC. Around here (Louisville, Ky) two of the three dealers have offered $8000 off MSRP as well. The MPV seems to be a great value. I am guessing it won't be to long before the '06 go $7 to $8k off MSRP as it is the last model year for the MPV in the US. Mazda Knoxville already has them at 6.5k off. My only hesitation with the MPV is the recent poor rating in side impact crash testing.
    While the lack of airbags for 2nd and 3rd rows is certainly regrettable, it's not as much of a problem as it seems.
    1) NHTSA gave MPV 5 stars.
    2) Looking closely at the IIHS results for side impact crash testing, where MPV got POOR rating for side impact, they tested LX model without front seat side airbags. That front seat was the one that got poor results, the 2nd row actually got a G,G,A for head,torso, pelvis respectively. Had they tested a model with 1st row side airbags, the overall results would've been much better, IMHO.
  • gat135gat135 Member Posts: 7
    Just purchased the MPV and wanted to say thanks to all the informative postings.
    Purchased a left over 2005 MPV LX Plus with moonroof, which I found on the Mazdausa inventory search. The MSRP was $27,590 and paid $19,125 with Mazda finance to get full rebate. Negotiated over the phone but still the dealer wanted to do one more round of negotiations when I went in to sign the paperwork. Here are some tips.
    Negotiate price of vehicle first, all your comparative pricing is on the web.
    Next negotiate final "out the door price". This includes all fees such as tax, title, documentation fees and anything else the dealer can dream up.
    Next get it in writing, have it e-mail/fax. I didn't have this so when I went in they wanted to negotiate again, after much time, they got an additional $250 from a starting point of $1,100 which they claim was a misunderstanding regarding the "out the door price" and the fees that it included. Hope this helps and good luck to all. Final word, you can't always get the bottom line price but you can try. :)
  • diaahilldiaahill Member Posts: 1
    Was the $19,125 you paid out the door?
This discussion has been closed.