Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda MPV Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• gat135gat135 Member Posts: 7
    No. just the cost of the vehicle. The second half of the negotiation was the out the door price. Since this was by telephone, I was prepared to counter their offer with a total out the door price once we had agreed to the vehicle price. So the second part of the negotiation was to agree to a total "out the door price". This was my attempt to eliminate the inflated fees to pay to have the vehicle titled. Early on I found their standard fees for documentation and title service was $500. What I offered them in my out the door prices was the fix cost, sales tax and state registration cost. The dealer would have to absorb any other fees.
    Hope this helps and so far we are very happy with the money we saved and what the MPV offers for the money. :)
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    I just bought a 2002 MPV LX yesterday, $10,950. Got it from a dealer who specializes in late-model used cars that are in exceptional condition. I got it because my wife was having minivan withdrawal after 2 years apart from her Grand Caravan. I've always had my eye on the MPV, going back to 2002, but never pulled the trigger for one reason or another. I always liked its size, handling, styling, and build quality. But the timing was right, and I think the price was right. The van is Midnight Blue with grey interior, and except for a couple of small dings and a few light scratches, is in like-new condition. The interior is perfect, like it was never driven. It was a one-owner, traded on a Tahoe by a local lady who wanted a bigger vehicle. Has 44,500 miles. My wife likes it a lot--easier to maneuver than the Grand Caravan, but still plenty of room and a fold-into-the-floor rear seat too.

The original price was $12k, and Edmunds TMV (for "Good" condition, although this van really is "Excellent") was about $11.5k so I am happy with the deal I got.
  • jipsterjipster Member Posts: 6,244
    Congrats on your new for you minivan backy. Sounds like you got a very good deal on a clean one owner. Keep us updated periodically on how its doing if you will.
    2020 Honda Accord EX-L, 2011 Hyundai Veracruz, 2010 Mercury Milan Premiere, 2007 Kia Optima
  • daddioof4daddioof4 Member Posts: 50
    Okay, our 2000 MPV had 147k miles on it and my wife decided it was time to get a new van. I on the other hand wanted to wait at least a year until my 03 Elantra was paid off. The MPV was running great and we never had a problem with it. Then the driver side front window switch died ($285 dealer part, $100 from junk yard). Wife had a flat and AAA put the spare on and screwed up the cable that holds the spare when they wound it back up ($300 dealer repair), then Check engine light came on. I didn't have any of these repaired. Then the alternator died ($404 independent repair, had to have this done. So I started looking. My four kids are bigger now then in 2000 when we bought the MPV (ages 17, 16, 13 and 10). So I decided to go bigger. After checking all Minivans, if price wasn't an issue, my choices in descending order was the Honda, Toyota and Kia followed by Mazda and Nissan. The first three had no compromises. The next two did. They were size, no split fold rear seat and no side curtain for back seats for MPV. No rolled down windows in second row and the ugliest dashboard ever conceived in the Nissan. Unfortunately, price IS an issue. The only mfg over good discounts were Mazda and Nissan. Well, after almost two months, we got another MPV, a new 2005 discounted beyond believe. It is an LX listed for $22940,
    with compass/homelink autodim mirror $300,
    rear step plate $50,
    4 seasons pkg $425,
    side airbag/traction control $400,
    Plus pkg $1505,
    roofrack $250,
    destination/delivery $545,
    grand total came to $26415. On March 31, I got it for $18266. Got $3700 trade in on my 2000 with 147k. Came home with it for $14566.00 nothing out of pocket. Man, what a deal. It was all done via email, with me only using the phone one time, to see what the catch was. As it ended, there was no catch. The improvements over the 2000 are all subtle but good. Bigger engine, 5 spd vs. 4 spd, bigger tires, 4-wheel disc, radio controls on steering wheel. Wife is happy!
  • protegetompvprotegetompv Member Posts: 1
    This is my first post on Edmunds. Just want to share my experience to thank you all for the information I got here in this forum.

Our previous car was a 1994 Mazda Protege DX, which we bought five years ago for $2000. Mazda won our confidence and trust with this little vehicle. For five years, the only problem we had with this Protege was a leaking water pump at about 100K miles. With the birth of our baby boy, we needed a bigger vehicle with more safety features. After comparing the features and price of a variety of cars from different manufactures, and reading almost all the posts in this discussion group, :D we decided go with a MPV.

The first MPV we tested was a 2005 ES. A local dealership ran an ads of this ES in newpaper for more than 10k off MSRP, and the out of door price would be under 20k. After the driving test, I felt the car was fine, plus it had all the luxury features, like leather seats, power seats, power sliding door, etc. But wife felt noisy when seating on the second row seats. We asked if we can try another MPV to see if all MPV are noisy, or just this one. the saleman declined to give us another MPV to test. The day was April 2nd. Probably he was not eager to sell a car in the begining of the month, or there was something wrong with this ES. Of course, we went home with our little Protege.

On the next Sunday, April 9th, another local dealership ran ads on newspaper. For a 2006 Lx-SV, besides the $2500 Mazda discount, $500 Mazda finance discount, the dealership would give $4185 discount. The total price for a new 2006 LX-SV was 15490, if financed with Mazda. After checking the inventory on MAZDAUSA.com, we didn't find a MPV with our desired color and options in the inventory of this dealership. However, we did see two MPV LX in the inventory of dealership that 20 miles away from our home.

We brought the newpaper with us, and drove 20 miles to the dealership, which is in Vancouver, WA. We tested a 2006 ES, and wife still felt noisy when sitting in back seats. Seems there's no chemistry between an ES and us. :D As we walked through the Mazda cars on the parking lot, we saw our 2006 MPV LX. It was brand new. Some wrapping material was still on car. The seats are still covered with plastic wraps. The odometer reading was eight miles. The color was sunlight silver metallic. With all the options, LX plus package (MSRP$1505), side airbags & traction control (MSRP$400), all weather floor mats (MSRP$120), and roof rack (MSRP$250), the MSRP was $25785.

The first price we were asked was the MSRP. The salesman worked with us also told us they put so-called "theft marks" on several parts of the car. Basically, they were some stickers with a number. The saleman claimed if the car was stolen and even being dismembered, we can still get them back with the numbers. We told him we thought the "theft marks" are useless, we wouldn't pay a penny for them. Then the salesman asked how much we want to pay for the car. We told him it's INTERNET times now, we had read EDMUNDS for a long time before we came in. We understand that they have to make money, so we don't want to look for a deal of the month, or a deal of the year. All we want is a fair price. To save our time, we showed him the newspaper ads and asked if he could match the discounts. He said he had to ask his supervisor for such a deep discount. We said OK, but told him not to play those old tricks (we know their tricks from websites, like EDMUNDS). We told him if he wasn't back in ten minutes, we would leave.

Long story in short, after about thirty minutes of negotiation, the final price was $18900. At first they told me my old protege was worth now more than $100. But eventually, we agreed to trade it in for $600. For a 1994 Protege with >140K miles, we think the trade in price was fair. Since we are Oregon residents, we don't have to pay tax.
    So the total price was
    $18900 ($6885 off MSRP)
    -$600 for trade in
    +$223 for title & registration & document processing fee
    = $18523.

We know if we wait until summer or even winter, we could probably get a greater deal, at least another $1000. We still think it was a fair deal, especially with the color and options that wife liked. The whole process of purchasing was not haggling-free, but we were happy with it. The only problem was that, after one week of driving the new car, we found out the optional all-weather mats were not in the car when we drove out of the dealership. after several phone calls and emails, they pulled one set of the mats from another MPV ES for us. With the packages and options of our MPV, we should have two sets of mats or carpet. The one is the all-weather mats, another one is the carpets inclded in the Plus package.

To get the $500 rebate, we financed with Mazda. The APR was 9.35%. we re-financed it with our credit union ten days after the purchasing. MazdaUsa Credit sent us a check to refund some of our pay off money. The conclusion: no need to wait 90 days or two payments before paying off the loan.
    :D
  • audia8qaudia8q Member Posts: 3,138
    The conclusion: no need to wait 90 days or two payments before paying off the loan

I'm sure your dealer will be thrilled about the chargeback they will be charged for the early payoff.
  • theflushtheflush Member Posts: 100
    Are there any good lease deals on the leftover 2005 MPVs? From this forum, it looks like you can get an LX for under $19K +TTL, which seems decent. Are there any lease incentives to help move these 05s? It looks like my closest dealer with 05s in stock is in Columbus, Ohio.
  • jlcorpusjlcorpus Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone know what days of the week are best to look for these ads and what section to look in?

Thanks
    Saturdays and Sundays are the days dealerships usually advertsise the most in newspapers. Classified, or the sections with "Automotive" printed in large bold print on the front page are best places to look, if I understood your question correctly.
    2020 Honda Accord EX-L, 2011 Hyundai Veracruz, 2010 Mercury Milan Premiere, 2007 Kia Optima
  • lfh3lfh3 Member Posts: 2
    Last Thursday, 6/8/206, I joined the ranks of MPV owners. I bought a 2004 LX with the following options:

LX Plus Package (incl. privacy glass, fog lamps)
    dual power sliding doors
    side airbags
    traction control
    roof rack

The most compelling aspect about this minivan (to me) was the fact that it had only 4563 miles. Yes, you read that correctly. This two-year-old minivan had less than 5000 miles.

I made first contact with the Internet Department at the dealership and on a phone call, I made an offer of $13,500 out the door (including my trade-in). The dealer ended up giving me $4000 for my 1997 Chevy Tahoe (112k miles) trade-in and we eventually closed the deal at a $13,600 OTD price.

I was pleased with the deal and was satisfied with my buying experience at the dealership.

So, sparkert, you are not insane to expect to get out the door under $15k for late model MPV.
  • maxsmommaxsmom Member Posts: 1
    I went to the dealer searching for a good deal on an '05. However, the selection was limited and had none of the options I wanted. So, started looking at the LX '06. Final offer from dealer:

$18,500 (LX with rear air, roof rack, running rail,etc)
    $586 (Virginia taxes @ 3.17%)
    $560 (freight)
    $299 (processing)
    $19,945 TOTAL OUT THE DOOR COST

What do you guys think? Should I try to go negotiate even more or do you think this is as good as gets?
  • jlcorpusjlcorpus Member Posts: 2
    Did you get the cash incentive off the price?
    What about asking for invoice minus the cash incentive and then asking to see the invoice?

We got to see the invoice because my husband's company gets the "S" plan. I got a 2006 LX- loaded, for 22,300.00 after I bargained to get the dealer incentive.
    They gave me a good price for my trade-in also. I think Mazda is giving them some extra incentive we don't know about to unload the rest of these- because they really didn't haggle with me at all. They are probably getting some kind of kick-back.

The MPV is not a "hot" item. Crossover vehicles seem to be the thing now. Plus I just read that there is some type of driving safety mechanism they are putting in alot of cars that might become required in the near future. I forget what it is called- something about stabilizing steering that is supposed to have a VERY large positive impact on avoiding the most deadly car accidents.

My guess is they will put this feature on the MPV before they bring it back to the US. Apparently car makers have been quietly putting it on some of their vehicles. But is seems like they are trying to avoid attention to this because it will bring up productions costs?

Anyway, I think my MPV was a good investment. I got a great deal and I think I will be ahead of the game when I trade it in. I think the crossover vehicles are a fad. Unless you can transport cargo as easily as with a mini-van, I think consumers will try them and then want to move back to mini-vans. Afterall, crossovers tend to look alot like station wagons... they will go out of style also.
  • theflushtheflush Member Posts: 100
    Check out this deal on Ebay.

2006 MPV-LX Buy it now for $16,800

It's very tempting, but still more than I want to spend, so I'm looking used. There is also a new 05 LX on ebay with no buy it now and a current bid of $12,200 that is still under the reserve. I think you will see deals like this at most dealers at the end of the summer.
  • aj4aj4 Member Posts: 14
    299$ processing is bad any day/ any model.

Although I myself own a MPV, but you gotta check out the honda odyssey too. It is a leader in it's class and now a days it is selling for as low as 1.5 k below invoice (lol - i bought my mpv at invoice, not considering the dealer/customer incentives). You should be able to get a odyssey lx model for 22-22.5 k.

Remember mpv - although a good van, is not as good as odyssey. If i were u, i would rather buy oddy, although my mpv is currently ruuning good with about 6k miles on it.
    is not as good as odyssey

Depends on what mom's wants and needs in a minivan. To my family the MPV is not as good as the Odyssey...it is better.

That said, the Ody LX is a nice van loaded with standard features, at a very good price if going 1.5 below invoice.
  • jfritschjfritsch Member Posts: 958
    One dealer here has 7 '05 es mpv's (around 30,500msrp)for 10k off painted on the windows. (about 20500) If he advertises that from the road god only knows what kinda deal one could work out.

Also has 6 of the lot hound 05 mazda 3 hatchbacks with no advert but probably flexible.

Saw 3 05 mazda Tribute AWD around 26-27k msrp advertised (on the windows) for 7k off list.

--jjf
  • tj4tj4 Member Posts: 3
    Got a new 2006 MPV LX with All Sport & LX Plus packages, roof rack, trac control, side airbags MSRP $26,730
    for $20,000 even before fees & tax in St. Louis area at Bommorito Ellisville. We were initially not looking for van but liked the size and sportyness of the MPV
  • sschribersschriber Member Posts: 89
    Looking at a 2006 LX-SV with Roof rack, and rear air for $15,995 before tax and tags. Good price?
    yes, if that is a new car price.
    It is new. 1 mile on the odometer.
    Aside from the high mileage ;) ...I'd jump on that deal.
  • secret1secret1 Member Posts: 1
    May I know where are you and how did you get the price, I am in NC and seems difficult to get a price like this. Thanks
  • graybeard2graybeard2 Member Posts: 1
    Where is "here" more specifically?
    Here is in southern ohio in Cincinnati.

Where is "here" more specifically?

--jjf
    Numerous Dealers near my home in southern ohio have 05 MPVs Ls's and Es's which were yesterday's news 8 months ago. I counted 15 among 4 dealers.

One Dealer has 10 count em 10 05 es 30-31k msrp MPvs Lined up along a major thoroughfare with 10K off painted on every windshield and 20xxx selling price. This has been followed up by numerous color news ads announcing the same for over a month. If they are actually advertising this god only knows what deal they would make. I drove by yesterday and egads! one actually is missing! Did it actually sell?

-These machines are not popular
    -If a poster was correct, and this is the last year for the MPV this may also explain part of the problem
    -They depreciate from MSRP like hell ... more than Oddessey and Sienna? The 31K es wholesales realistically a little over 18k after a year.

One may believe more aggressive deals can be made on these machines than usual (05-06)

On the other hand, maybe the reason they're not moving is the factory has no more unadvertised support to offer.

I guess only an inquiry toward the end of the month like now will tell.....

--jjf
    Also numerous deals around here (southern ohio) on 06 Mpv's (usually Lx's) 6000-7000 off msrp advertised on windows. FYI.... Also see ads on motoralley from across country. I think they are similar. Bargain down from here.

--jjf
  • nashesnashes Member Posts: 12
    Hi:
    Saw this ad in the newspaper for a new 2006 Mazda MPV LX for 16,995 (MSRP quoted is 23,075). Have a couple questions:
    1) Why more than 6000 off on this vehicle. Is it because its not selling/ not good? I guess I want input if it is worth buying!!!!
    2) The second question is how do I negotiate further> I am sure I can talk them into giving more rebates/discount - since this is the advertised price only. Also what are the other costs/fees that I have to take into consideration and
    how to negotiate that amount as I am sure they will to try to add more fees/or try to rip me off in other areas.
    3) What about financing? what is the going interest rate for someone having a good credit score?
    Thank you very much for your time guys.
    Nashes
  • subearusubearu Member Posts: 3,613
    The '06 is the last year of the MPV. Plus, they've never been a strong seller, most of the minivan market wants the bigger Ody and Sienna. $6k off sticker is good, and it should already include the discounts/rebates. You may be able to squeeze a bit more out of it, but that's a fairly good price right now. You should only need to add tax/title/license in most cases. It's up to you to say yes/no to the extras they most certainly will try to add. An extended warranty might not be a bad thing if you like to pay for the protection up front, but these can also be cash pigs for dealers.

Financing? Check with your local bank or credit union, or even some of the online loan places. The dealer will offer their preferred banks financing or even Mazda's.

-Brian
    They really aren't selling MPV's for that much less than they did two years ago when I bought mine. I think I got my 2004 LX with MSRP of $26,000 for $20,500.

The MPV isn't selling well, mainly because BIGGER minivans are in(i.e Sienna,Ody, DGC)...as well as the fact that the MPV doesn't have many of the modern features(navigation, rear back up sensor, side curtain airbags, stability control etc) that it's competitors have.

Is it worth buying? Absolutely...if it fits your needs. I would match the MPV's fit/finish and overall quality against any other minivans. It's also has the best interior and exterior styling...is very sporty looking. Many think it resembles an SUV.

Offer them about $600 less than what they are asking. Try to get them to throw in free oil changes. They will definitely want your business and don't want you to walk. If they won't budge, tell them you want to go home to think it over. If they let you walk...wait a couple days for a call. If they don't call back they probably aren't able to lower their price.

In reguards to fees...don't pay any. Tax, title and license yes...any dealers fees or advertising fees, no. Focus on your out the door price, what you will pay with everything added up(price of vehicle, tax, lisence, title)...if they try to add anything just say no.

Financing...get pre-approval from your bank. If the dealership can beat it...great. But, bring a calculator and check their figures. Good luck.
    The mazda 4/50000 mi warranty is good also.

--jjf
  • nashesnashes Member Posts: 12
    Hi guys, thanks for your input. I appreciate your advice about looking for the "out of the door price" and getting a bank loan pre-approved.
    I am going to check out the vehicle tomorrow and will let you know how it went. Hopefully, I will be a proud owner of the MPV soon!
    Nashes
  • dustin5874dustin5874 Member Posts: 1
    I bought my 06 MPV LX from a dealer in Roanoke,VA. MSRP was 28,370 and the out the door price was 21,409 plus tax and title. No fees of any kind. $2500.00 in mazda rebates and $4461.00 taken off by the dealer. I live in Knoxville,TN and after contacting dealers in 10 different states, the dealer in Roanoke won my business. There were two other dealers that were in the same price range and it appears that the bottom line price is somewhere between $6500.00 and $7000.00 off MSRP. I think it depends on the rebates the dealer gets from Mazda because it does vary by state. The dealer in Knoxville wouldn't budge more than $6500 off and I think its because they only had $2000 in Mfg. rebates whereas the dealer in Virgina had $2500.00 and so they had no problem going near $7000.00 off MSRP.

I drove my car home last night with 4 miles on the odometer when I left the dealership. It now has around 260 but so far, I like the van and I feel that I got a great deal. In case your curious it has the LX Plus, Sport Package, DVD, Remote Start and Sirius Sattelite for options.

I hope this information helps someone out there who might be looking to deal on one of these vans. My wife is not a minivan person but she loves her new car. Its sporty, has plenty of power and versatility and it doesn't look or drive like the other minivans. My wife can still be a mother and look cool and hip doing so and so this was a great choice for us.
  • garandmangarandman Member Posts: 524
    It is helpful. I went looking for an MPV this week with LX-Plus package, Four Seasons package, roof rack, and Side Airbags/Traction control. Those I found also had Cargo net, door edge guards, compass/autodim mirror, step plate and wheel locks. MSRP was $26,530.

Ira Mazda in Peabody and North End Mazda both quoted $21,500. They would have offered $500 less for financing with Mazda, which I did not plan to do.

My feeling was a really good price for that vehicle was $20,000 so I didn't buy. The same incentives seem to be in place this month, so we'll see what happens. My wife actually prefers the prior generation Toyota Sienna so if we find a 2002 or 2003 XLE we may well buy that instead.
  • sowongfarewellsowongfarewell Member Posts: 3
    I recently bought a similarly equipped MPV (w/o roof rack) as garandman for $20,200.

I, however, took advantage of the $500 discount by financing through Mazda. Their terms were 10% for 6 years - but I plan on simply 'refinancing' through my local credit union which is at 5.75. I look at it as getting $500 for one months worth of payments @ 10%.
  • mroverheremroverhere Member Posts: 1
    I am looking for mpv es loaded everything all options st blue color . I am comparing price on 2006 to 2005 . Can you please give me names of dealers who you see have most 2005 mpv ES on there lots thank you so much . I buy you dinner if i head out that way to buy :) . I so far have gotten st blue with all options 32995 out door 24989. You think that is good . I am in Phila Pa. area . Have a great day .
  • mom30mom30 Member Posts: 1
    I am closing a deal tomorrow on MPV ES w/ DVD, moonroof & 4 seasons package. is the simonize a smart move? i have 4 small children so dirt is abundant and cash is tight. they was $258 for simonize _inside and out, and $458 to warranty for 5 years, unlimited miles. Is this advised?

what should i expect to pay for the car in total????
    I don't know what Simonize is(fabric protection & paint sealant?)But, the majority opinion on those type of options are they are worthless. Buy a couple cans of Scotch Fabric Protection...reappply every 6 months. Wax your van every 2 or 3 months. You will have saved yourself $258 with protection that is just as good. I wouldn't buy any warranty...especially for $458(rip off)

What to expect to pay? Well, we will need the year(new or used), miles, options and condition of van to suggest a price. But, most buyers of new MPV's are getting between $6,000 and $7,000 off MSRP. There is not a big demand for these vans...so bargain hard mom.
    The mazda dealer On Burlington Pike in Cincinnati (Kerry I believe) had the 10K off advertised for 05 MPV es. He either sold most of them or transferred them to another of his stores.

The MPV es (around 32000msrp) is an 19000 vehicle in a year. Only a masochist wants to eat 12-13000 dollars in a year so bargain hard for at least 9000 off an 06 or 11k off an 05. This is last year for MPV so even more reason.

If your 25000 otd price includes 2100 in sales tax and about 200 total in fees you are in the ball park for an 06.(23000) Just be aware that it is a 19000 vehicle in a year and they still aren't giving it away despite 10k off.

--jjf

Vehicle already has 4 year 50000 mi warranty so that deal seems marginal also.
  • valleyvalley Member Posts: 12
    Throughout July and perhaps a month earlier, SF Bay area Mazda dealers had been advertising 2006 MPV LX for $14,488 through $14,788 (before taxes + fees). There was "one at this price" nearly every week.

It was clearly misleading advertisement - to some extent false considering they command $1,000 difference between LX and LX-SV. But I didn't know this when my wife couldn't resist the deal. I rushed a little research comparing LX with Odyssey and Sienna base models and decided I couldn't go wrong - except maybe for mileage rating.

We went to the $14,788-dealer the last weekend of July. The salesman initially said the advertised inventory had been gone but he was willing to "see how close I can get you to this price" on a different inventory. (So much for "one at this price".)

After feature bluffing and test drive, he magically pulled out the advertised inventory ("we hadn't sold it after all") - essentially the same except colors. We actually liked the exterior (earth green) better but my wife really hated the beige interior. (There's no color remix in MPV).

My wife wanted a grey inventory that was actually an LX with LX Plus package. Again, at the time I didn't have full knowledge about MPV trims and packages/options :blush: . The salesman "worked" with his manager to say that the grey (LX Plus) could go for "just" $1,000 above advertisement and touted how much greater the installed options were. To me, those were all vanity options and worth nothing - not $1,000 anyhow. (But if you believe in MSRP, this LX Plus would be a much sweeter deal than the LX-SV - that's $2,250 for $1,000. In hind thought, the 16" wheel on LX vs. the 15" wheel on LX-SV has some value, especially because the two trims have the same ground clearance. I could have bargained the $1,000 down.)

So we went back to the blue (grey interior - the only other) that I test drove. My wife wanted the lowest advertised price ($14,388). "What's the difference $300 is going to make?" he quipped. "Let's put it this way: $300 is an even less deal for a dealer," I countered. After several attempts to walk off the lot - and the salesman having "called" the other advertiser (by the same owner according to him) and claiming their inventory had been long gone, he swallowed the $300 difference.

Throughout the 3+ hours he spent with me, the salesman said absolutely nothing about the -SV designation; even when we were haggling over that grey LX Plus, he would only talk about "options". When our MPV was nearly hit side ways by a red light runner during the test drive, the salesman even said "these cars have side impact air bags." This is downright cheating :mad: , because even standard LX doesn't include side impact air bags, nor does any package. He'd be the lousiest salesman if he didn't know this.

In the F&I office, I bought the protection sealant for $600. I also paid a $45 documentation fee. Adding taxes ($1536) official fees ($192), my OTD cost was $16,848. Even with my excellent credit score, the finance guy gave me 10.99%. (The actual loan bank eventually reduced this to 9.59%.) MAC financing was a prerequisit for the $500 rebate advertised. The salesman and finance guy both claimed that I had to make at least 4 payments to qualify for the $500. ("You can pocket this $500 and refinance or pay off after 4 months," the salesman said.) Now this forum prompted me to read those papers I signed. I couldn't find any requirement as such. It is fair to say that F&I made a false statement.

He also stretched some details about the sealant warranty, stressing that "even if the surface is damaged due to tree sap and bird drops, it is warranted; it is specifically written there." (The salesman also made similar statements.) Specifically written, indeed, in the following words: "Liabilities resulting from ..., bird drop, tree sap, ... is limited to the cost of professional detailing." Like most consumers, I didn't read these details before putting down my name. When I first read them at home, I knew there was a fair chance that he wouldn't make this sealant sale after contradicting the actual warranty; his chance of selling would improve if he didn't mention tree sap and bird drop. But I doubt if any buyer actually read any warranty text on spot. So their chance of making the sale improves by stretching the truth.

But all in all, the transaction was smooth and I felt that I got a good deal - I still do, despite the misrepresentation of LX-SV as LX. Features and performance of MPV LX-SV are a lot of vehicle for under $15K. Into August and this deal is gone. As of late, $6K off MSRP was the best advertised deal. And recently, MPV disappears from advertisement all together.

The salesman explained the deal like this: the dealer loses $3K by selling at the advertised price (hence the "1 at this price"); but Mazda pays $3K to the dealer to make up the loss in order to push for volume. (This compensation is on top of consumer oriented factory rebate.) Mazda must have stopped this $3K dealer rebate. But then, the $3K couldn't have applied to only one MPV per week per dealer. So my guess is, whoever bought an LX-SV above that advertised price during that time must have overpaid. I even suspect that the $3K applied to all MPV's, not just LX-SV.

One last thing about the deal: I think the F&I has cheated - at least tried to - the salesman of some commission. I was too tired (after two hours of haggling around lunch time) to notice that the finance guy conveniently "forgot" that I agreed to a $6K down payment on the sales sheet, and put the entire OTD on MAC. He agreed to make a new contract the next day when I called, but not before saying that the contract may have been sent out.

Because I already planned to make a quick pay-off, the actual financing terms wouldn't do real harm. I only came to understand this game after reading Phillips' "confession" on Edmund.com (http://www.edmunds.com/advice/buying/articles/42962/article.html). The finance guy probably knew very well that he would look bad in salesmen's eyes if I made an issue to the dealership. In his 2-month stunt as an undercover salesman, Phillips once got a $65 check for leasing an SUV at sticker price - "No explanation. No hint of where my commission had gone."

Lucky for my salesman. I called him and asked him to fix this down payment omission before he suggested me to call F&I directly. Hope he got a hint :P
  • lburgguylburgguy Member Posts: 5
    Is this a good price:

$20,284 out the door, without tax/tags/title. Also does not include $500 if we finance through Mazda.

'06 MPV LX

LX plus package
    power driver's seats
    side airbags and TC
    cargo net
    compass/temp/autodim mirror
    rear bumper step plate
    roof rack
    wheel locks

Thanks for any input. I'm in central Virginia BTW.

John
    Do you have the All Sport Package?(includes spoiler, 17" wheels, 6-disc Cd changer) Also, maybe helpful to know the MSRP of the vehicle. Looks like a invoice minus rebate deal....you may be able to go a little lower considering the low demand of the vehicle. Did you have to negotiate that price any or was it immediately offered to you?
    Thanks for the reply. No, it does not include the Sport package. The MSRP is 26k+ with those options. I called an out-of-town dealer and told him I was not impressed with my local dealership (true) and told him just to give me a good price (I had the VIN of the vehicle I wanted from the Mazda site) and I'd buy it but I didn't want to play any games. He called me back with the quote. From what I'm reading it sounds like a fair price to me. Also thinking I should wait for the first of the month to see what new incentives come along. It's an acceptable vehicle with those options but I'm not tied to buying that exact one.
    Thanks again for any feedback.
    I got the invoice for that vehicle at $23,973. I've read Mazda has a $3,500 rebate for the MPV, though Edmunds only lists $2,000. Take the higher rebate off and you are looking at $20,473. So, you are already about $200 under dealer invoice without the extra $500 with Mazda financing.
    So, yeah...that looks like a good price without having to play any games.

You're getting almost 6k off MSRP. If you wanted to play "the game", and there are a surplus supply of MPV's in your area, you could probably get more off.
    Wow, that's a good confirmation for me. Should I wait for Sept. 1 or just jump on this now?? I've let things get away before because I'm too cautious. Thanks jipster
  • jupiterljupiterl Member Posts: 1
    I want to buy a new MPV in the next two days, but the quotes I'm getting from my local(NYC) dealers don't seem that good. I visited two dealerships and both gave quotes of invoice +500, before $3000 rebate. That would mean I get about $4500 off MSRP. From what I read on the posts it seems that people are getting $6000 or more off MSRP.

I emailed a couple of dealership outside of my area and one of them sent me this quote. Which looks good to me but I would really appreciate any input.

New 2005 MPV LX (no rebates)

$18,899 out the door, without tax/tags/title.

With Options:
    # Plus package
    # Cargo net
    # Door edge guards
    # Auto dim mirror
    # Rear bumper step plate
    # Roof rack
    # Wheel locks

Thanks for any input. I'm in New York City.
    Many are getting 6000+ off of msrp on 2006 models. Yours is 2 yrs old. perhaps 8000 is what your're looking for. Look up wholsale with 0 miles in excellent condition for your 2005 Lx in excellent condition on KBb.COM AND edmunds.com. try to stay within 500-1000 over (or less ) for the vehicle over average wholesale for 2 sites. One dealer cleared out 7 of the $30000 ES models for about 20k (10k off) in a little over a month here so I would want about 8-9 K off yours. (26oo0 msrp)Start at 9500 off offer and move up, you cant't go down but you can always increase your offer as you read the situation. Emphasize this car was yesterday's news a year ago. And isn't the MPV being discontinued?

--jjf
  • vanman14vanman14 Member Posts: 1
    I have found out that if your Mazda dealer sold 4 MPVs this month, they were given an additional $1500 per auto. I have had some luck in getting some local dealers to give me a total of $5000 below invoice without the Mazda leasing rebate. We can swap info on dealers if you like.
    I've let things get away before because I'm too cautious.

I hear that...I'd probably still be looking at minivans(bought our MPV in July 2004) if my wife hadn't threatened me with that frying pan. :sick:

If there is a lot of inventory in your area it probably wouldn't hurt to wait a couple more days. Most of the MPV's I have looked at have been around the $25-$26k MSRP price range. So, there should be a lot more of this type of priced vehicle then the base models with no options. We bought our MPV July 1st 2004, and a week or two later the rebate went up an extra $500 to $3,500. So, it's difficult to know for sure about the rebates.

Make sure you let the dealer know your purchase is contingent on a satisfactory inspection and test drive. Also, be careful not to let them slip in any dealers fees or other malarky since he has already quoted you an out the door price. Good luck, and let us know how it turns out.
    I think you should be able to do a lot better than $500 over invoice. How many MPV's did they have on each dealers lot? If they had 4-6 or more you should be able negotiate a better price. The fact their are two dealerships goes in your favor as you can play one against the other.

The thing you have to remember is that unless you exert some pressure on a dealership, show them you are a serious buyer...then they are going to try to squeeze as much money from you as they can. But, that is what a good salesman/dealership will try to do. Their job is to try to make the most profit.

The 2005 MPV MSRP's for around $25,700. So, $18,899 is pretty good. But, like another poster pointed out...you could probably do better. Be prepared to walk if the deal isn't going your way. Believe me...dealerships want to move these vehicles. You are in the drivers seat...so negotiate hard. Or, make a firm take it or leave it offer. If they don't accept...then leave, offer more at the other dealership.
This discussion has been closed.