Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chrysler Voyager/Dodge Caravan Prices Paid and Buying Experience 2003-2007

Comments

• tcustevetcusteve Member Posts: 2
    I would like to know what you had to do to get that price. KBB invoice is 25608. So you got over 10k in rebates? Was this a Grand Caravan? Can you give me the salespersons name? I would buy one today for that price.
  • badgerfanbadgerfan Member Posts: 1,565
    Post was for 2006 Caravan SXT which since it didn't say "Grand Caravan" no doubt is was the short wheel base version. Grand Caravan SXT with no options, I doubt if you could get it for less than $21K or so. $14995 for a short wheel base SXT is a very good price, however.
  • temp409temp409 Member Posts: 55
    We wrecked ours (2001 caravan) last week crushed the front drivers corner going about 35mph- rear shoulder strap didn't catch my little girl who is 12 was hurt very bad. Jerk the front straps they catch perfect me and her dad were not hurt at all, then jerk the rear shoulder straps you can tell they Dont catch and we paid the price but Thank God shes doing better now. She had a concussion from slamming the handle on back of drivers seat with blood coming from eye nose and mouth. Got pics of her face. Just to warn ya- Traumatized Mom in TN wish someone had warned me! Bought a 2005 Kia today 5 star crash rating ALL seatbelts catch on FIRST jerk. LOVE IT got it for about 16,500 5 yr. bumper to bumper warranty with road side assistance plus 20 yr 200,000 mile powertrain warranty.
  • fish8fish8 Member Posts: 2,282
    I am guessing the 20 yr/200,000 miles powertrain warranty was part of an extended warranty purchased by you? The new '06 Sedona comes with a 10 yr 100,000K mile power train warranty. I can guarantee you will never see 20 yrs from this or any other van. 200,000 is slightly possible.
  • 97xpresso97xpresso Member Posts: 249
    As other posters have stated: you can't test seatbelts by "jerking" on them. New DC vans also have 5 star rating. (2001 did not, but not because of seatbelt problems) Good luck with the Kia, I'm sure you will be reading/posting on their forums
    I still see many 20 year old 1st generation Dodge/Plymouth SWB vans on the road. Most are rust-free, and some are still have their original stainless steel exhaust systems. 200,000 hiway miles is not uncommon on today's modern vehicles. I agree that neither will happen on a Kia van.
  • januarymjanuarym Member Posts: 2
    I recently shopped Jack Powell Dodge in Escondido Ca and was treated like an idiot.The saleman wanted me to agree to 84 mos x $356 at 8.9% for a stripped Caravan he claimed listed at 30K he then switched outto a caravan that he claimed was only 22K for them same deal 84 mosx356 at 8.9%
    (I knew before entering I qualified for 0%/60 and could buy any level minivan I wanted or gotten a loan from my own bank) After many hours of his antics,I left as he was chasing us out the driveway asking whats wrong with the offer I gave you? If I knew how to report him to Dodge I would..just beware of this dealerships games!
  • cadianecadiane Member Posts: 1
    I purchased a 2006 Town & Country Touring minivan in the SF Bay Area last month. The registration recently arrived showing it as a commercial vehicle. (It's strictly for my family's personal use!) The dealer's DMV clerk said that it was DMV's requirement -Is that true? I've found nothing on this board or elsewhere on the web from anyone else indicating that they encountered this.
    This just doesn't seem right, so thanks for any help!
  • borderlinerborderliner Member Posts: 2
    Hello. This is my first post at Edmunds. I have been shopping for an '06 Caravan SXT, but I came across a new 2005 Grand Caravan SE, basic model (no power options). So basically, 3.3, air, cd, abs, tint, and --oh yes-- roof rack.

Sticker ~ 22k or 23k. I have offered $17,600. AS far as I know this is below invoice price. The dealer said "Come in, we'll get it done." I figure between $17,800 and $18,000. How good a deal is this, in your opinion?

PS
    I had another dealer at $200 over invoice for a 2006 Caravan SXT, basic package.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!
    One advantage of buying a left-over 2005 is the 7 year/ 70,000 mile powertrain warranty. The 2006 will cost you more and only has a 3 year/36,000 mile power train warranty. If you're not worried about resale value, the 2005 is a wise buy.
  • jkshah71jkshah71 Member Posts: 1
    i am getting an offer for leading 2006 Dodge Grand caravan (SE) for $ 289 / month for 2 yrs/24000 miles.
    No deposit, no secuirty required.
    i am living in San jose, ca..

Do you guys think it is a good deal ?

appreciate your response.
  • mowamowa Member Posts: 3
    Just warning potential buyers to stay away from the Cherry Hill Triplex if you're looking for a Grand Caravan. I almost purchased a used 05 Grand Caravan w/23k miles but was treated horribly. First, they lied to me about the price of the car. They have it listed on Autotrader for 18,000 but when I asked what the price was he told me it was 23,000. After I spent 45 minutes talking them to 16k, and having their sales manager reluctantly agree to the price. Then they would not tell me what interest rate I was going to get and told me to wait for when they have the paperwork. When it came, they added a 7yr warranty and gap insurance to the cost of the car(up to 21k from 16) without consulting me and tried to tell me that an 8.1 rate was the best they could give me.( my credit is 825). Then when I told the finance manager that I would not buy the car at that price he ripped up the paperwork and threw it in my direction. Needless to say I did not purchase the car from them. STAY AWAY from the CHERRY HILL TRIPLEX, dont waste your time.
  • drpooldrpool Member Posts: 11
    I live in San Jose too and I guess you are getting a good deal but may be you can negotiate more. Can you please share the dealership where you are getting this price. Thanks,
  • shand32783shand32783 Member Posts: 76
    2-2006 Dodge GRAND Caravan SE's entry level with stow and go for $16999 each, after taxes and fees on both they were $19,200 out the door. We have a high 9.1% rate on cars here.

Shane
    I am considering a new Caravan or Grand Caravan in the near future and may be able to make use of a Chrysler employee or family/friends of employee pricing arrangement.

Anyone know what this pricing structure is for Caravan/Grand Caravan? Is it some % off invoice, plus the current existing rebates, or what?
  • tiger74tiger74 Member Posts: 2
    I am looking at purchasing a 2006 Grand Caravan SXT (fully loaded, MSRP $33,700) for 28,000 (0% financing). I'm hesitant to go ahead and do this before the rumored July 1 announcement by Chrysler about its summer employee pricing/financing incentive. However, isn't employee pricing typically several percentage points below invoice? Not sure I'll get a better deal by waiting; in fact, could lose out on the deal. Any thoughts/advice/suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
  • tiger74tiger74 Member Posts: 2
    A recent article I read said that EP is typically several percentage points below invoice price. If you find this out, please share with the rest of us. Thanks.
    Well, I have found out on a particular vehicle, Dodge Caravan SXT with a few options, that has a MSRP of $25,600 and an invoice of $23454, the employee price is $22795. Plus dealer is willing to sell for this plus $3500 rebate, so I can buy this one for $19295. Note this dealer is willing to sell anyone at employee pricing plus rebates. I think they are really pushing to meet a quota. I got all the information faxed to me, shows EP price, HB, which appears to be holdback which is to the dollar 3% of MSRP before shipping, so I don't think they are hiding much on me!

Dealer tells me the new Chrysler promotion starting July 1 is somewhat smoke and mirrors for Caravan, as they will be advertising employee pricing for all, but are actually reducing the rebate! I might just pull the trigger on this deal today or tomorrow, just have to feel them out about what they will give me on trade, or I might sell our old Caravan privately.
  • tidalwavetidalwave Member Posts: 25
    Hi. I am considering purchasing a Caravan SXT and want to check to see if my first price quote is in the ballpark of being a good deal. Or, maybe I should wait until July to see what is coming then.

Here is what I have:

New 2006 Caravan SXT
    Options:
    Popular equipment group I
    Supplemental side curtain air bags, all rows
    Passenger side sliding door

The destination charge brings it to $25,430 for the MSRP.

I have a price quote of $18,683. That is before taxes, fees, etc.

It seems like a pretty good deal but I don't know what kind of deals have been made over the past few months. I will check through the forum on that.

Thanks in advance for your input.
    That looks even a bit better deal than my deal post 122.

Note the ballgame changes July 1 and it appears debatable whether the deals are going to be better or worse.
  • 3mtae3mtae Member Posts: 2
    My sister purchased a new 2006 Grand Caravan SXT, through her friends contact at the dealer, but now thinks she got messed up on the final price calculation. Felt somewhat pressued to finalize the deal in June due to the rebates.

Here are the details:

MSRP 28,655
    "Savings" = (2,930)
    Rebates = (4,750)
    "Adjusted Sales Price" = 20,975
    Net Sale Price (including tax, docs,etc.) = 22,906
    Put 14,000 down and financed 8,906 for 4 yrs as they had the price at 25,725 (28,955-2930) + taxes, etc.
    Then deducted the 4,740 rebates (4,000 + 750 chrylser owner loyality.)
    Did she do ok?
    Sounds like she got a good deal. Discount and rebate of $2930+$4750=$7680.

In comparison, I just bought Grand Caravan SE with some options, MSRP was $26640 and discount+rebate was $2434+$4750=$7184. So she got about $500 more off MSRP on a vehicle that had a MSRP at about $2000 more than mine.

It is typical for sales taxes to be figured on the price before rebates, I believe most states require the calculation to be done this way.
  • 3mtae3mtae Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the reply. I think she was nervous because the discount was off msrp and not relative to dealer price paid. OTD price was just about TMV price, before taxes and TTL. Good luck with yours.
  • shakes67shakes67 Member Posts: 9
    I just purchased a Town&Country touring from T&C in Levittown NY. The sales reps were not pushy, the prices were in the ballpark,and the 0/cashback special made it an easy decision over the honda odessey. I highly recommend purchasing from them.
  • luvmycar4luvmycar4 Member Posts: 1
    Greetings CarLuvERs,

I have to replace one of my 2nd row seats and found some left and right Stow and Go seats on the Internet. Will these seats work for a Dodge Caravan SE 2003?
    Cheers,
    No, you don't have any pocket in the floor for them to stow into.
  • peaches4peaches4 Member Posts: 1
    Is this a good deal? or should we try to negotiate further?

2006 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT
    MSRP - 29,625
    includes side air bags in all 3 rows, tow package and rear parking assist

We were quoted 24,226 (this includes a 2,500 rebate and employee pricing).

Also has anyone heard if the rebate will be changing next month?

Thanks in advance for your input!
    I would think you could do better than that. In June before the July employee pricing I purchased a GC SE that MSRP'd for $26,640 for $19555, more than $7K off.

However, rebates were actually better in June than July, so I can't say if you could hit that now. I got employee pricing in June+$4000 rebate+$750 owner loyalty rebate for already owning a 1996 Caravan.

If you are willing to wait even closer to the end of the model year, the prices on remaining 2006's are likely to get better, but with less choices on the lots.
  • jehannyjehanny Member Posts: 1
    do you still have a copy of this letter? what model years did this apply to? I have an 01 that is having compressor issues..... :(
  • hansiennahansienna Member Posts: 2,312
    The Madison Wisconsin Dodge dealer ALWAYS has an excellent inventory of Caravan and Grand Caravan and seems to make THE BEST deals of almost any dealer of any make.
    If I lived in Madison, I would have dumped my 2006 Sienna LE on a trade for a 2006 GC SXT. :shades:
    I don't live in Madison, but near Milwaukee. However, there is plenty of inventory, and additionally my dealer willingly brought one in from a Chicago area dealer, as that dealer had specific model, color and options we wanted.

I don't think I could have done much better at any other dealer, $19,555 before TTL for a GC Caravan SE that with some options that MSRP was $26,640.

I see my previous post was in error by $99, which was a somewhat questionable fee they added, but even then it amounted to a good deal, so I did not protest much about it.
  • ol06ol06 Member Posts: 9
    Model Info: 2000 Chrysler Town & Country LXi with All-Wheel-Drive (includes 3.8 liter V-6 engine and 4-wheel disc brakes), 29Y Package (includes leather interior, power seats, Infinity stereo system, alarm, 16” aluminum wheels, roof rack, various convenience groups, etc.), Heated Front Seats and Trailer Tow Group.

Price paid in March 2000: $32,276 + fees and tax.

Edmund’s trade-in value in August 2006: $ 4,000 (almost 90% depreciation over 6 years).

Strengths: Slightly “upscale” interior (compared to other minivans), room to comfortably seat seven adult passengers.

Weaknesses: POOR RELIABILITY, UNDERPOWERED (3.8L V6 engine), POOR FUEL ECONOMY (13.4 MPG observed over 6 years of driving).

Summary: My wife has driven this minivan for 99,000 miles and it’s literally falling apart. The exhaust manifold cracked and needed expensive replacement at just over 70,000 miles. The car leaked transmission fluid for almost 2 years (never properly diagnosed or repaired by the dealer). The engine currently sounds like a poorly-made sewing machine. This vehicle has been in the shop 8 times in the past 6 years (for other than routine maintenance). In contrast, my 2000 BMW has only been in the shop 3 times (for minor repairs) over the same 6-year period. My wife is currently looking for a new vehicle and we haven’t even considered buying another Chrysler product. We expected much more from a vehicle that costs over $30K. We’ll probably end up purchasing a much more reliable Japanese brand holds its value longer.

I hope “Dr. Z” is improving the reliability of his newer vehicles!
    Sorry to read of your bad experience with a T&C.
    If you buy a Japanese brand, you will get fewer nice features and pay more money than for a T&C or GC. My lowly 2002 T&C LX had more nice comfort items and was quieter on the highway than my 2006 Sienna LE.
    DEPRECIATION ? My 2006 Sienna LE had MSRP of over $ 27,000 and trade in value 4 months later with only 3000 miles had dropped to $ 19,000 which is almost 30 % in just a few months. I would have dumped the Sienna had the resale value not dropped so drastically. :sick:
    My daughter has a 1999 GC SE that has over 90,000 miles and all it has required is routine maintenance. My 2002 T&C LX had to have the driver's side power window fixed when it was almost 4 years old but that is all except routine maintenance.
    Sounds like you paid MSRP for that van.
  • ol06ol06 Member Posts: 9
    The MSRP/Invoice of the 2000 T&C LXi AWD minivan with the various options I listed was: $35,140/$31,686 (in March 2000).

The customer incentives offered at that time were a cash rebate OR 0.9% financing for 60 months.

Chrysler seems to be offering better deals now... Maybe they're not getting many repeat customers.
    My sister is a repeat buyer. My friend just got a 2006 GC SXT and traded in his 2000 GC LE and has now owned 4 DC minivans that also included a 1996 GC SE, and a 1988 Grand Voyager SE.
    A neighbor has a 1999 GC SE and owned 2 GC before that (I do not recall the years). Many people keep buying DC minivans after owning 2 or 3 earlier.
    I do NOT like my 2006 Sienna LE as well as my 2002 T&C LX even though the Sienna has more power and gets slightly better gas mileage.
    Well, since these vans are the highest selling vans on the road going as far back as I can remember, I would guess many of those buyers are repeat customers.
    We are on our third: a 1985 Caravan, 1996 Caravan, and now a 2006 Grand Caravan. Long intervals, but we keep coming back as reliability has been pretty good, except for A-C. Both the first and second had expensive A-C repairs after about 6 years or so.
  • ak_edak_ed Member Posts: 2
    I just got a quote from an internet dealer in Kellogg ID. for a new SE Grand Caravan that was about 7,000 under MSRP, cash price. I don't really need this car until late Jan but the 0% 72month intrigues me. I had originally considered a 2005 (rental) certified used, especially since they have 70,000 drivetrain warranty but now I'm wondering? Should I wait till Jan and try to buy used or buy new now and take advantage of the 0% 72 mo. What kind of price or selection am I likely to find in Jan , especially in the Denver or Kansas City areas where I would be shopping? Also, Has anyone gotten this kind of price discount AND the 0%. Your comments on this would be appreciated!
    You are not going to get that discount plus 0% financing. It is an either-or choice.

You also will likely find few if any 2006 models left by January, though occasionally it does occur. Back in March 1997 we bought a left over brand new 1996, but that is a bit unusual.

The $7000 under MSRP is in the ballpark. I got about $7100 off MSRP in June for a Grand Caravan SE, when the rebates were $4000 + another $750 owner loyalty for owning the 1996.
    I would personally, stay away from a rental.
  • jpfjpf Member Posts: 496
    I am interested in buying a 2006 base Caravan with the 4 cylinder engine. After rebate the price is $15,700. Is this a good price? Any information would be appreciated.
    Well, if it is actually an absolute base model with no options, Edmunds has it at MSRP of $19345, Invoice of $18283 and TMV before rebates of $18311. After the $3500 rebate, their TMV is $14811. Based on this, I believe you should be able to get them down to at least $14811, and if the dealer really wants to unload it, may even go lower by a few hundred. I would shoot for paying about $14,300 and see if they bite, but for sure you shouldn't pay any more than $14811. All these numbers are based on your Base Caravan SE having no options, however.
  • outshoppingoutshopping Member Posts: 2
    Today I went to a dealership, shopping for a Dodge Caravan SE, no options. I took with me the knowledge gleaned from research on the net, including the TVP from Edmunds. That site said the True Market Value for a very basic Caravan is $14,863. I went in to see if any of these models were on the lot, and I was prepared to make an offer of $14,300, as suggested by someone in posting online. Well, there were only Caravans with power options so the sales guy said he could check around to see if he could locate one without options. I gave him my email address, said to let me know what he found, then walked out the door.

When I got home I found an email from the salesman saying his manager ok'd giving me a minivan on the lot, with power options, for the same price as they were going to give me for a most basic version: "$15, 577.77 with taxes and new plates and everything out the door." I got that final price after much coaxing for a number. Initially, he had said the price, less taxes and plates, was $14,400. As you can see, that's just $100 more than I was prepared to offer initially, and it includes the power package. I didn't even get around to making an initial offer. Neither did I make a counter offer.

Since my experience with new car dealerships has always been very negative, with much back and forth haggling, I am very suspicious. I am wondering whether I will get to the dealership tomorrow and get an unpleasant surprise. Does this seem legit? Should I counter offer? If so, how should I present it?
  • jpfjpf Member Posts: 496
    That seems like a good price. But, is the vehicle new or nearly new? They may be offering you a demonstrator or a former rental vehicle. My experience with dealers is that they sometimes offer nearly new vehicles to get you to buy a more expensive model.
  • outshoppingoutshopping Member Posts: 2
    I went in today and purchased one of the models offered as a "red dot" special. The one I bought had 40 miles on it, so it was definitely not a rental or demonstrator. However, I had been on their lot for over 300 days. Apart from getting the power package for the same price as the base model, I also managed to get $100 off the so-called administrative fee. I pointed out to the salesman that a competing dealership tacked on a fee of only $49, and he went for it, although he said he had to write the deal up as if he was charging the full fee, but deduct the discount from the base price.

I have to say this thing turned out much better than I thought it would. My previous two new-car purchases had been very adversarial and unpleasant. I kept expecting a shoe to drop. But I walked away with a total price of $15,468.27. This includes taxes, license, and registration.
  • pathosrisingpathosrising Member Posts: 42
    so no one has bought the best selling minivan in 3 months?
  • pathosrisingpathosrising Member Posts: 42
    ok... These people have had me angry for the past four hours. I'd done the price quote circuit, and the lowest I'd gotten for the optionless 2006 Caravan was 14980. Lake norman said bring that quote in, we'll beat it. Before we did, a former car salesman friend of ours called in (without revealing his former job) and said we had a quote for 14,300 and could Lake Norman beat it. They said they could do 14,200, and we planned to go in last weekend. Then my mother got sick, so we postponed it a week and came in unannounced tonight.

We had a very nice salesperson named Maggie, who showed us the cars that were available at the 14,200 price and we contemplated going for at least the power package once we remembered how annoying manual locks are. We went in to deal, since now we were interested in the higher priced van with power windows/locks. The MSRP difference between the trims was $1600. The manager(?) offered to sell us the car with he power option for a mere discount (from the MSRP prices of the 2 cars) of 200 dollars . Yes, he offered us the power car for 15,600. No budging. He also refused to honor the first car's pricequote of 14,200, claiming that some options had been added to it that raised the price by 399. He said it was done possibly after we got the quote, seeing as how it was about 10 days later. I called bulls@## and then went on to the car we now really wanted, the one with the power package.

He said the difference between the two cars was 1600, and he'd take 200 off that. we said no way. I told him I'd looked up the price of the power option and on carsdirect.com it showed that it only cost 645. He said that they'd added pin striping, a hood shield, and wheel locks, and that brought the cost to 1600. I told him to take the wheel locks off, and the shield, and get back to the 645 price. He brought up the pin striping and I balked at him trying to pretend that it was worth 300 dollars, and then he goes "well, there is labor" and I told him it would take like 10 minutes to pinstripe a car, and that if they were paying 300 an hour to pinstripe then they needed to give me that job.

Long story short (too late, yeah..) we walked out. We'd driven about 150 miles to get there, it was late, and we were tired, but there was no way in Hades I was going to let them lie to me (options added AFTER the car has been sitting on the lot, AFTER I'd received a quote. Sure, a car has been sitting around for months, one way to speed up a sale is to RAISE the price...) and demand more money. the fact that they wouldn't honor the 14,200 price that we got straight from the GM was especially insulting "well yeah, 14,200 is your out the door price, but now we added some things..." Does he know what "out the door" means? Does he know its 2007???

Anyway, they have 20 2006 Minivans collecting dust, and they'll keep them. Pure Scum.
  • 5greyhounds5greyhounds Member Posts: 338
    I had looked at the Toyota Limited with AWD (drop dead beautiful dash and lighting) and the Honda Touring (very industrial interior) and the T&C Limitd. The stow and go was the deal breaker. We have Greyhounds and just got tired of takeing the seats in and out all the time. Just got tired of it. We got a Black Limited loaded to the 9s: DVD,NAV, SUNROOF, CHROME CLADED WHEELS. About the only two things missign were side veiw mirrors that colapsed and had the turn arrows in them. I am haveing the mirors changed to the onew with the arrows. I am also having running board put on. anyway. Sticker was 38,500. Froam looking around Ifigured invoice was about 35,500 less the 4,000 rebate and my 2000 Ford windstar SEL that traded for 4,500 (more than I thought it was worth but 500 less than KBB. I countered and ende up with27k out the door. Not great but not bad. It was Pohanka Chrysler in Leesburg VA. I purchased the extedned warranty (& years , 75k) fro 2100, which was 600 off the regular price. With the history of transmission problems it was a must. Will just have to see.
    CONGRATULATIONS !! The T&C Limited is a very nice minivan.

I was initially VERY impressed with the elegant instrument cluster of the Siennas but those shiny chrome appearing circles around the instruments are a source of glare from the sun at many times of the day...as are the shiny surfaces on each side of the center portion of the dash.

I am not fond of the white face instrument cluster of the T&C/GC nor of Stow 'N Go. The Odyssey has the most user friendly dash if one drives during the daytime and for me, the Odyssey has THE MOST comfortable seats with the best location for the spare tire....but the Odyssey EX did not have the overhead console with outside temp/compass and Trip Computer that I had in my 2002 T&C LX.
This discussion has been closed.