Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chrysler Voyager/Dodge Caravan Prices Paid and Buying Experience 2003-2007

Comments

• ro22tolro22tol Member Posts: 24
    The dealer in Minneapolis actually had some good prices. I was interested in a
    2005 GC SXT with options of tow group and rear power hatch.

Dealer wanted $22,000 for it, that price is $1,200 below invoice and $3,500 in rebates. They pissed me off with my trade, so I didn't buy it (even though I should have). The salesman even tried one last time as I was driving off the lot!!

I just didn't like the games played. They did however approach what I thought my van was worth (nada wholesale).

I still may go for it, but I am going to wait and see what the new incentives are going to be on the 5th.
  • fish8fish8 Member Posts: 2,282
    Just remember, the '06's do not have the 7/75K extended powertrain warranty anymore!!
  • jotxjotx Member Posts: 3
    Friday my sister & I discussed a DGC SXT (no leather, 3 doors power, quad seats, 6 disc changer) w/a saleperson. She said she could probably sell the van to us for $23K. We were in a crunch to return another van we were test driving to another dealership and told her we would call her if we wanted the deal that night. We called her and she said she would wait for us the dealership closed at 7:00 pm and we arrived at 7:10. Anyway, she had a temp tag and had my sister drive the van home and come back in the am to finalize paper work. My sister is 3 months pregnant w/a 17 mth old so the DGC was for the family. Anyway, when we went in the next morning the saleperson said she couldn't get it for $23K but real close. And they could only give us $2000K less for her trade..(2003 Ford EXP, leather, sport pkg., 21,500 mi) They gave her $14K her payoff was $16550. So that added to the price. By the time we got out of there 1 1/2 hours later we had a total selling price w/7yr 75mi ext warr. of $29,900. They said they were giving us the cash back and 0% since it was 4th July holiday. It was such a blur and when they had her finally sign the papers it had $29,900. I was so tired I was shocked when I saw the figure she was to sign off on but didn't say anything, she felt the same as well but said said nothing and she was ready to just get on w/it. That night we were both sick thinking about that she had paid $29900K for a DGC that she only got because it was to be cheaper than the 2005 Honda Odessy. Well at this price it was about the same.

I told her that we need to go down to the dealership in the morning and speak to a manager. They sell Honda's as well and I would like them to take the DGC in exchange for the Odessy. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!! I feel like the biggest sucker and I am sick for my sister who was trying to save money and lower her note w/a larger family vehicle. BTW, I am a female as well and believe that they saw SUCKER on our foreheads. Thanks for your time and interest!

Jo/TX
    Where do I start!!!!

First of all, your sister did NOT pay $29,900 for the SXT. You said in your post that she had negative equity ($2,550) added into the price of the van. Also, she purchased an extended warranty (7yr/70K) that was added into the price of $29,900. So, if you subtract out the extended warranty ($1500 I'm guessing) and the neg equity ($2,550) you get around $25,850. That price is still VERY HIGH for the van she bought. We recently bought a '05 Chrysler T & C Touring (w/ DVD, Side airbags, 6 disc chgr, Sirius, leather, etc) for $23,700.

What rebates were given to your sister? I believe, at the time, there were at least $3500 in rebates.

Was the $29,900 inclusive of taxes, tag and title?
  • jotxjotx Member Posts: 3
    Yes, I am aware that she had 2500 that was tacked on due to trade and the warranty....that is why I put that in my post. The reason I am so sick and have only ourselves to blame for being so naive is that we started out thinking we were going to pay no more than $24,000 w/ttl. We didn't anticipate buying an extended warranty but I've had a DGC before and we kept it for 2 years and had the a/c go out as well as some electrical problems. Anyway, I'm really upset that we let them give her only $14K for a trade that should have gotten $16K. I am really sick today when I read that Chrysler will being given the employee discount as GM did beginning today. Additionally, as you pointed out w/the trade being taken from the equation it was a bad deal and we were just not using our heads.

My sister and I discussed it last night and she is going to stick out the DGC and try and forget about our bad negotiations. We have no one to blame except ourselves. I just hope that nothing happens to the DGC so she won't really be stuck when the insurance company decides to pay true market value and not payoff.....

Jo -
    Well, what's done is done. There is nothing you all can do now. She bought a nice van, now she just needs to enjoy it. At least you will be more informed the next time a new car is needed.

Good luck and don't feel so bad.....this sort of thing happens more than we all realize!!!
  • 1997montez341997montez34 Member Posts: 202
    The '05 comes with a 7/70 powertrain warranty. Why did you buy an extended 7/75 warranty?

Negative equity is a bummer. Been there, still paying for that!
  • carglowcarglow Member Posts: 91
    I'm guessing to cover stuff other than the powertrain.

He said he was concerned about electrical problems and the ac unit.
  • andrelaplumeandrelaplume Member Posts: 934
    discount, I see it shows about 18K for a Caravan with power conv package and 6 cyl engine. I would have expected lower....?
  • carglowcarglow Member Posts: 91
    For some reason the base Town and Country is priced lower than the Carvan with 6 cylinders.

I've seen T&C's advertised for $16,500
  • hansiennahansienna Member Posts: 2,312
    ABSOLUTELY. The 6 cyl Caravan is an SXT and has MANY more options than the SWB T&C. ;)
    A Caravan SXT is a nice, well equipped minivan while the SWB T&C is just one step above the Caravan SE 4 cyl. :blush:
    These options are: Dual Zone air conditioning, Tachometer, Cast Wheels, Quad seating, 50/50 split fold and tumble 3rd row just for starters.
    You cannot even get a tachometer on a SWB T&C. Stupid of DC. :sick:
  • antelope1antelope1 Member Posts: 9
    I posted this on the T&C forum since that is where I started out (Looking for a T&C) so sorry for double-posting if you read both:

Went to look at the Dogdge Caravan SXT since it looks like a very similar car to the T&C. Found one with package I wanted, and after EP and rebate came to $21,073 (Included Bronze paint, 2nd row Bucket seats, entertainment package, etc.) This time, I tried to make it clear I didn't want to spend more than $18,000 before he even showed me a car. I said how I liked the car, but it was too much. I kept throwing out numbers and finally made it up to $20,000....but he kept saying that the EP minus rebate is as low as they can go. So I told him I would have to sleep on it.

I just want to hear if someone has negotiated a price (without trade-in) that is lower than EP minus trade in this month so I know if I can get them lower. $20,000 might be a stretch, but $20,500 should be OK on a price of $21,073, right?

BTW, this dealer is offering a Christmas in July deal - pick an envelop of the tree and get an additional $500 - $5000 off. I figure at a minimum, the $500 would cover taxes, tags, fees, and dealer-add ons.
  • ro22tolro22tol Member Posts: 24
    The EP prices are not at good as the prices that I found at the end of June.

I found a dealer that would sell me a GC sxt for inovoice minus hold back (which is actually the EP price) then $3,500 in rebates

MSRP $28625
    Invoice $26735

rebates $3500

Invoice minus hold backs of about $1250 - rebates $3500=

final price $21,995

Now the rebates are only $2,000 on the same van (thus I would have saved $1,500 by purchasing in June over July.

Same dealer said wait until the rebates change again. He could not match the price quoted in June, cause the mopar rebates to the consumer were not as good.

I have found that the EP is the bottom line at dealers.
  • andrelaplumeandrelaplume Member Posts: 934
    thanks
    !
  • vtechokievtechokie Member Posts: 1
    Just bought a 2005 GC SXT. MSRP was $33,120 with the Leather Interior Group, Premium Group, In-Dash 6-Disc CD w/DVD , and Rear Seat Video System. EP Plus was $29,283 - $2000 Rebate = $27,283. Final price to me was $26,283. That's $1000 below EP Plus.

Had a dealership offer $1400 below EP Plus on a GC SXT with the same specs but they only had one and it was my wife's least favorite color.

Also paid $2000 for the DC Maximum Care Service Contract 6 years/ 100K miles with $0 deductible. I think the list price is $2750. Dealer told me the EP for the Service Contract was $2295. Search for "Daimler Chrysler Service Contract" online and there are a couple of Chrysler Dealerships in the midwest selling their contracts over the Internet for the price I paid. Showed the dealership a print out of the listed prices and they matched.
  • salesman3salesman3 Member Posts: 1
    EP PRICE IS THE BOTTOM LINE.
    NO DEALERSHIP WOULD SELL STOW AND GO CCARAVANS FOR LESS THAN THAT SINCE DC DID NOT BULD ENOUGH FOR DEALERS
    THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS EP FOR SERVICE CONTRATCS
    Congratulations on your good purchase. Frankly, I believe your numbers more than an unknown salesman at an unknown location. :blush:
  • dennisctcdennisctc Member Posts: 1,168
    Maybe this is a Detroit thing, but I was at dealership getting oil change last week and saw EP Plus on all the vehicles on showroom floor. What's this???
    This appears to be a dealership that wants to clear out all new inventory.
    Sadly, many DaimlerChrysler dealers have sold out of new 2005 DC minivans. :cry:
  • borderlinerborderliner Member Posts: 2
    I should update this.

I found out there are two 05 grand caravan se's:
    Pre 12/04
    and Post 12/04

This is a Pre 12/04. The cost is actually a bit less, so I offered $16,600, and expect to pay a bit in dealer profit: 17k maybe?

The only difference in the two vehicles is hi back versus lo back seating.

Good deal?
  • snorkelmansnorkelman Member Posts: 15
    Yesterday I bought a new 2005 T&C and paid $15,700 (yes it was the base model). I’m confident that I got a good deal.

Here in Florida I saw an ad in the paper showing that they were selling the base model '05 T&C for $15,990 plus tax tags and dealer fee of $398.

I figured that they would jack up the price when I showed up, but they didn't. I ended up getting anouther $250 off that price by the following method:

I brought in an ad from a competitor showing '05 caravans for $11,999 and the '05 Grand Caravan for $15,999.

So I argued as follows:

 Dodge GC costs $2,000 more, so Chrysler should be cheaper

 4 wheel ABS brakes std on GC (only optional with T&C)

 GC has steering wheel mounted controls std & not avail on T&C

 GC has theatre style seating std, & not avail on T&C

 GC has 3rd row Split bench seat std & not avail on T&C

 GC is longer (more space -11.2 inches)

The sales manager kept trying to tell me that it was apples and oranges because the Caravan was only a 4 cylinder, but i was careful to tell him that I knew that and I was only drawing a comparison between the GC and the T&C.

As for one of the posters above who said that there are a lot of differences between the GC and T&C, that is wrong. The above differences are the only pros that I could find that the GC has over the T&C. I also found several options that the T&C has that the GC does not have, such as the key with bottons to unlock and lock the doors.

Keep in mind these are only the base models.

Hope my research can help others in future negotiations.

By the way, the price i paid was over $1000 less than the Employee pricing that everyone was pushing last month.
    I don't understand the following statement: " Dodge GC costs $2,000 more, so Chrysler should be cheaper". Why should the Chrysler be cheaper? Chrysler is the higher of the 2 brands.
  • snorkelmansnorkelman Member Posts: 15
    FYI the invoice and MSRP prices both range from $1000-$2000 more for the comparable DGC than the T&C. I agree that the T&C is better (that is what i bought it) but i used that as part of my negotiations.

I argued that they should sell me the T&C cheaper than the price that they were advertising because i found a DGC for the same price, and the regular MSRP for the DGC is more than the T&C. Thus, if i can get a DGC for the same price, they must be asking too much.

regardless, i only got an additional $250 off, so who knows which part of the argument worked, but i haven't found anyone who came close to the deal that I got yet.

Hopefully there are others out there who got this good of a deal (or even better).
    EVERYONE knows that you can't get more than a few thousand off a brand new DCX minivan!! Just ask socalawd!!! He knows, he said so!!! :P
  • socalawdsocalawd Member Posts: 542
    EVERYONE knows that you can't get more than a few thousand off a brand new DCX minivan!! Just ask socalawd!!! He knows, he said so!!!

Not what I said but that never stopped ya before!! You can get 3 grand off a Ody if you know how. Some people just can't negotiate!! Must be a different skill then changing what someone says!! :P
    EVERYONE knows that you can't get more than a few thousand off a brand new DCX minivan!! Just ask socalawd!!! He knows, he said so!!!

Not what I said but that never stopped ya before!! You can get 3 grand off a Ody if you know how. Some people just can't negotiate!! Must be a different skill then changing what someone says!!

You can also be charged mark up still on Ody, but can't remember ever, anyone paying over sticker for DCX van. If you go to the Dodge site right now, you can get $5500 off without any negotiation. Then probably negotiate another $2k off with dealer - as seen in previous post here where people are getting below EP pricing. Hmmm just because you accused someone of changing what you say, doesn't make it true. Didn't you once say no one is doing better than EP?? That the price dif is only $1500?

One thing is for certain....One can get $5500 for sure today on a Dodge. It's in black and white from Dodge, go to their webpage and build one. Are there any incentives for Honda? From that starting point, it's all up to negotiating skills and market conditions in everyone's specific location. Beyond that, it's your rosey scenario vs. mine.
  • fizzyhairfizzyhair Member Posts: 20
    A used 2002 T&C LXI with 27000 miles (41000 km) for $17800 US ($21000 CAD). Does this sound like a good deal to any of you? It has all the good stuff like leather, power doors etc. Original MSRP was around $42000 CAD. This seems like a good deal to me. Any thoughts?
    Forgot to add that's with the 3.8L V6
    Hmmm, I'd almost disagree, with the rebates, financing etc.... I'd check on autotrader.com etc....look around some more and see what's out there. Also run a Carfax on anything you're looking to buy.
    There's actually not many rebates on the 05 T&C. I think it's like $2000 and thats it. Even if there was a bigger rebate, there are barely any left. The closest one to me is in Sudbury! On autotrader.ca, it seems like that one is the best deal. Anything lower priced has like 80000 kms (50000mi) and even then its only like a grand difference. The closest thing to the kms/mi is a 2003 LXI with 68000 kms (42000mi).
    You can also be charged mark up still on Ody, but can't remember ever, anyone paying over sticker for DCX van. If you go to the Dodge site right now, you can get $5500 off without any negotiation. Then probably negotiate another $2k off with dealer - as seen in previous post here where people are getting below EP pricing. Hmmm just because you accused someone of changing what you say, doesn't make it true. Didn't you once say no one is doing better than EP?? That the price dif is only $1500?

If they charge you markup don't buy. Right now you can get $1,340.00 off on carsdirect thats on a 2006 EX. As for the not getting better than EP! You've got to be kidding. All I did was show you the Dodge website price and the odyssey Cars direct price for similiar vans was 1500.00 differance, I can see many instances where it can even be 3-5 K early in the year. I have posted many times that type of information. Prices change quickly for all brands due to demand and marketing changes. So it's hard to say I saved 10K you can too it matters what deals are happening. BTW if you can show me where 1500 was the max I believe at one time the differance was 1500-3000max is what I said, of course you took half of it and ran with it. Also show me where I said noone is doing anybetter than EP. I do have many referances to EP. You are the one that said that wasn't bottom line. And when I replied to you I didn't argue the point.

One thing is for certain....One can get $5500 for sure today on a Dodge. It's in black and white from Dodge, go to their webpage and build one. Are there any incentives for Honda? From that starting point, it's all up to negotiating skills and market conditions in everyone's specific location. Beyond that, it's your rosey scenario vs. mine.

Oh I went to the Dodge site all I see for the 2006 is a 2500.00 rebate. Where's the 5500.00 dollars? One thing I know for certain, again you are wrong! The 2005 showed no incentives on the Dodge site!
    Oh I went to the Dodge site all I see for the 2006 is a 2500.00 rebate. Where's the 5500.00 dollars? One thing I know for certain, again you are wrong! The 2005 showed no incentives on the Dodge site!

I just built s 2006 GC SXT......go thru the exercise with no options, $2500 rebate, EP $3569...no negotiating, no running all over the country looking for a Honda dealer who won't rape you, no checking every website for a grand $1340 off (sites that aren't updated regularly - no doubt). So you're correct, I was wrong, should have stated $6069 off, not $5500. I don't see anything on the Honda site for deals?

The 2005 showed no incentives on the Dodge site! I was referring to 2006s, since I believe Dodge is sold out of 2005 models?
    I just built s 2006 GC SXT......go thru the exercise with no options, $2500 rebate, EP $3569...no negotiating, no running all over the country looking for a Honda dealer who won't rape you, no checking every website for a grand $1340 off (sites that aren't updated regularly - no doubt). So you're correct, I was wrong, should have stated $6069 off, not $5500. I don't see anything on the Honda site for deals?

Tryed again and only saw the rebate also looked at Chrysler nothing!! looked at many car sites Edmunds hasTMV for the SXT after the rebate at only $3450.00 under the MSRP. Did the EP pricing end on the 2006 models??

Tryed again and only saw the rebate also looked at Chrysler nothing!! looked at many car sites Edmunds hasTMV for the SXT after the rebate at only $3450.00 under the MSRP. Did the EP pricing end on the 2006 models??

Go to Dodge.com, click on carvan, click on build, click GC SXT, enter zip....still there today. I would hope DCX would have their latest incentives on their site. I have no faith in Edmunds, since they can't seem to pay any attention to the best selling minivan on the market, and provide updated road tests etc... They also don't respond to specific email asking when they plan on testing a more current 2006 instead of the 2001 they currently have.
  • mpempe Member Posts: 1
    Options interested in are: What price does anyone tink you can get???
    AJY Popular Equipment Group 2
    Includes 3 zone air conditioning with rear heater, 160 amp alternator, overhead console with trip computer, universal remote transmitter, silver face instrumentation cluster with tachometer, overhead ashtray/cupholder light, roof rack, AM/FM stereo, cassette deck, CD player with changer control and 6 speakers. INCLUDES MWG.

JPR Power Driver's Seat
    Includes cloth low-back power 8-way adjustable driver's seat. REQUIRES AJY.
    CJ5 Supplemental Side Curtain Airbags
    Includes dual power sliding doors, front and rear reading lamps, overhead ashtray/cupholder light, overhead console with trip computer, universal garage door opener. REQUIRES AJY.

Invoices showed $27K (Rebates were $4.5K) does this mean possible price of $22.5k? South Florida
    For those in the market....

Latest from Oakland Tech News (local auto newspaper).

New 2006 DCX Caravan SE - $11,995/$19,900 MSRP

New 2006 DCX Caravan SXT (power seat, trip computer, 3.3L V6, 7"DVD - $16,373/$25,335 MSRP

New 2006 DCX Grand Caravan SXT Special Edition (heated leather, 8"DVD, moonroof) - $21,589/$31,365

New 2006 Chrysler T&C (V6, Air, Tilt, Cruise, Keyless) - $12,777/$21,735 MSRP

The dealer is Milsch (www.milschdodge.com) just 3 miles north of DCX's tech center in Auburn Hills.
  • topgun7topgun7 Member Posts: 412
    Anyone has experience with N. Ca dealer or purchase a touring recently? We just get start shopping and hoping to get one before year end. I check inventory through Chrysler, it looks like most dealer only have a few T&C in stock. Any suggestion will be greatly appreciated.
  • weigojmiweigojmi Member Posts: 1
    Actually at a Nissan dealership, 30k miles, cloth interior, dark red, at least in "clean" condition. Dealer asking $15,800, I'm thinking about offering $12,000. What do you think? Thanks. :)
  • aaron_taaron_t Member Posts: 301
    $12k would be about all I'd pay for a 2yr old non-stow n go minivan.
    I agree!! That would be MAX!!!!! no more.
    I paid $ 14,000 for a 2002 T&C LX with 20,000 miles 18 months ago. It was (and still is) in mint condition and the original owner purchased the DaimlerChrysler "Added Care" 7 year/ 75,000 extended warranty that covers almost everything and made the original 7 year / 100,000 mile Powertrain Warranty transferrable for $ 150.
    The 2004 GC SXT has the larger 3.8L engine, power sliding doors both sides, and cast wheels that I do not have...BUT, I got mine from original owner who was very meticulous with all maintenance and I have all the receipts for all services.
    The 2004 GC SXT will NOT have a warranty longer than 3 year 36,000 miles if it was either a rental or lease vehicle.
    Try offering $ 11,000 for starters and up to $ 12,000 MAX as dennis suggests. ;)

I personally prefer the NON Stow'N Go seating as the 2nd and 3rd row seats are more comfortable in my opinion. It is also easier to get groceries from the back of the NON Stow'N Go where the cargo floor is at level of the bumper and not 10 inches below (as we have learned when lifting groceries from the cargo area in our 2006 Sienna LE).
  • cattmancattman Member Posts: 31
    Bought a new '06 Dodge Caravan SXT, Butane Blue, for $14995.00 after all rebates yesterday at Cerritos Dodge in SoCal...
    ... thinking I got a pretty good deal, but what really amazed me was the buying experience - absolutely the best ever. I have bought many new vehicles in my life, but I'll tell you, this dealership really treated me well.
  • vanbuyer2vanbuyer2 Member Posts: 19
    Has anyone recently purchased a T&C Touring with luxury and leather group recently? Or a Limited model? I am curious as to what is a good price for either of these models. I am in the northeast so if there are any good dealers in Massachusetts that I should be aware of, please let me know.
    Congrats on a great price and nice Minivan.
    Chrysler just announced new incentives....0% etc..check with dealer or website.
  • redfletchredfletch Member Posts: 1
    FYI,

Just signed deal for 2006 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT with no options $21,440 after rebates ($3,500), $75 service fee, $64.50 title and license, and 5.5 tax on price and rebate. Total = $22,955

Not sure if this was a great deal. Seemed pretty good. Invoice $24,789
    Destination $730
    Total $25,519
    Rebate $3,500
    Invoice - Rebate = $22,019

My price was $579 under invoice? Seem fair?

Dealership = Don Miller
    Madison, WI
    I'd say you did great! Only way you could have done better was trying to find DCX employee with employee price coupon for you.
  • cookiemomcookiemom Member Posts: 3
    OK I read all your post, but didn't find what I wanted to see so here goes; for those of you that want to be mean please don't, I understand this might hurt you!
    I'm not sure how you all find out the price the dealer paid for the car at? I just hope I can get a good price from the dealer without knowing this? or tell me how!
    OK, I have to finance it and also have the trade. I know I'll be upside down. I just gotta know this going into it. They don't give you something for nothing! So should I wait til I'm NOT upside down? Because of the car which is an 03 GM and I had to finance it for 72 months, I know I'll be several years waiting!
    I am old and don't like base models, sorry. I went down to the closes dealer and found out that they have a T&C Sg Tour with a lot of equipment, and I like their Limited, except the price. Although we like the limited.
    I have to try to compair the equipment with both cars. I know what the differences are or I think I do. By their brocher.
    I started looking at the DGC SXT first. The two T&C or DGC look so much alike it isn't funny. Except colors they offer can be a bit different. Packages about the same.
    I did the build the car on both and I look at all the dealers in my zip code on line. I did find some close to what I want, but not that close.
    Here is another question; What should I pay? Since I see you all talking about this. How do you start with the dealer to get the best price as you all did? Please I could use any help.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,694
    Start here:

2006 Chrysler Town and Country

Everything you need to know about invoice prices and anything else about your vehicle can be found on Edmunds.com

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• cookiemomcookiemom Member Posts: 3
    I'm looking at your suggestion! let you know what I do//
This discussion has been closed.