Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lincoln LS: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• don1228don1228 Member Posts: 3
    Oh yeah...83,000 miles on it.

I've unplugged the battery and left it off for about 1/2 hour and then plugged it back in (I was told that this would reset the computer).

Thanks,
  • akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    When was the last time you changed the air filter?

You should be able to isolate the noise with the engine running and the hood open unless it only does it on the road.
  • don1228don1228 Member Posts: 3
    It's time for a change. I'll do that this evening and let you know.

Many thanks!
  • presidentialpresidential Member Posts: 4
    Stuz heres the deal i just signed up and i see that you posted this about a month ago so sorry its kind of late but cylinder one is on the passenger side very first one looking from the front of the car. Also when you say replace the coil pack what do you mean by that? The ignition coil or is it something totally different?
    I think he meant COP (coil on plug). The LS does not have a traditional coil-pack. Each spark plug has it's own coil fired by the computer.
    I just replaced the coil on plug for the 6th cylinder about a month ago and now the same cylinder is misfiring again with the coil on plug, does anyone have any suggestions, why it could be misfiring again for the same plug?
    hey thanks man for letting me know thats what i thought initially.
  • gkarggkarg Member Posts: 230
    When you replaced the last coil - did you look down into the sparkplug - to see if oil was pooling in there? The valve covers have been known to leak and could be the problem...

I know on my V6 there was oil in a couple of the plug wells - when I changed plugs last year. The valve cover gaskets on the V6 aren't known for the oil leaking like the V8 is.

In my case - it has always been moisture that ruins my COP's - usually from engine cleaning.
    Gkarg there was oil on the spark plugs so its probably the valve covers, now do you have any clue how much that could run me? also are they hard to replace?
  • jaxen112jaxen112 Member Posts: 3
    Hey I would love to know how you fixed the taillight problem on your LS, I just replaced my bulb for the fourth time.
  • achs00achs00 Member Posts: 3
    I GOT A LOT GOING ON WITH MY CAR. THE CHECK ENGINE LIGHT CONSTANTLY STAYS ON, MY CAR IS IDILING, MY CAR ALARM GOES OFF WHEN I UNLOCK MY DOOR WITH THE KEY WHEN MY REMOTE DOESN'T WORK, AND WHEN IT DOES THAT MY SEAT WON'T MOVE. ANYONE GOT ANY SUGGESTIONS?!!!!!!!!! :shades:
    First suggestion - STOP SCREAMING!!!!!!!!!!

You need to find out which codes are being set. Take it to a dealer or mechanic or go to Autozone and they'll pull the codes for you for free.
    I took it to auto zone and they said I needed a new air filter. did that and nothing.
    Did they tell you the code number?
    No I didn't get the code. I'll pay them a visit again later this week after work, and get the code.
    A dirty air filter won't usually throw a code. That was either bad troubleshooting or they just wanted to get rid of you.
  • prettytasiprettytasi Member Posts: 4
    :( I Purchased my 2001 lincoln LS used. Since the Purchase of my lincoln, I have experienced problems with my transmission. It seems to be slipping between 3rd &4th Gear. The engine Revs at high RPM'S and the transmission seems to be in neutral after the engine is restarted the engine seems to operate at the proper RPM's for approximately 30 mins. or less, and then the problems resumes.I have taken The car to the dealership, and the response was "The Transmission sensor was dirty "Since that and $1000.00 later the problem still persist.Per the dealer the transmission may need to be flushed. Problem still persist.The shift signal goes to "E" until restarted. Plaese help No More Warranty. I am SOL with only 51000 miles. Really starting to not like my Lincoln AT ALL
    Your problem is simple - you need to find a new dealer. If it's showing an E (which means error) there should be a stored code indicating the problem. It needs to be diagnosed by a competent mechanic. You are aware that Lincoln allows dealers to do 2 AWAs per vehicle where the factory and/or the dealer pick up all or part of the repair tab? Make sure you ask about that since you're so close to the warranty period. Did you report the problem while it was under warranty?
  • prettytasiprettytasi Member Posts: 4
    Yes When I originally purcased the car(used) but the dealer (Ford deaership) fixed the problem;however syill seemed incompetent. Once the tail light blew out I proceeded to the Lincoln dealership where I then discovered the car was still under warranty. The problem didnt surface til about 50040 miles. Then as stated previously I was told it was the sensor which cost the 900.00 to reapir. Seven days later the problem resurfaced I immediately took the car back and spoke with the same car specilaist guy, who then said "I believe your transmission may be bad sometimes these things happen even at 30000 miles "I asked why did he charge me $125.00 to put my car on the computer and he stated " well, just as doctors go in to fix one thing they can not tell something else is bad until they fix the other first." He also stated that he did not know what the "E" stood for, and the computer can only read one problem at a time and it was not registering any problem since check engine light has turned off. :lemon:
    Was this a service tech or the manager of the service department? First try talking to the service manager (if you haven't already) and explain the situation. If that fails, try the owner or call another dealer, explain the situation and see if they can help you. If you reported the problem under warranty and they failed to fix it then it should still be covered, or at the very least AWA.
  • tgktgk Member Posts: 1
    I have had a similar problem. I have gone to different dealerships to try and find the problem. I had a processor replaced and that worked for a few days, but the problem returned. Re-programming the computer and downloading the latest program has not worked either. Is your Lincoln LS an 8 cylinder. I read another posting that said there was a problem with the PCV valve. My LS has been acting up since I turned 100,000 KM. The car is in for repairs on the same problem I will advise if they are able to correct the problem.
  • jazzy4jazzy4 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2000 ls and I love it. However, I have had to replace all four window modulators, gel(?) leaked out of my rear view mirror, the left headlight and fog lights have been replaced. It began to run hot and when I took it to the dealership, they replaced the cooling fan and charged me $900, but the car was still running hot; turned out to be a switch on a fan and my passenger side seat heater is not working. The biggest problem is this rattling noise I hear on the front passenger side when I go over a bump.I thought it was a strut or something, but it has to be more than that. Lately it has started squeaking after being driven for 45 minutes @ 70 mph. Through it all, I love my LS. Anyone have any idea of what the problem may be? Thanks! :surprise:
  • 2000mtx2000mtx Member Posts: 10
    Have 2000 LS with 5 speed manual.
    This is a post for multiple questions.

Engine bay noises:
    I hear a moaning noise from my engine bay at idle. Being a California car, the noise started after it's first real winter in the mid-west. It sounds similar to the noise power steering makes when you crank a steering wheel all the way to the left or right (but not as loud). But my steering wheel is always centered and the noise goes away once I give it some gas. When I let the car return to idle, the noise starts up again. I checked the power steering fluid, but it indicates full. Any ideas? Could it be the cooling system? I know it's not the belts.

Airbag Light:
    My airbag light keeps coming on. Even though I had the under seat sensor replaced last year.
    Any ideas there? I was told by the service advisor that someone probably kicked or jolted the underseat sensor and I had it replaced. Since then, no one has sat in the back seat and the light just came on again.

Clutch:
    Wondered when I should have my clutch replaced? Car has 80,000 miles on the original clutch. How much longer will it last. The car chatters/shudders alittle (sometimes) when starting out in first gear.
  • olelaideeolelaidee Member Posts: 1
    I would love to know what you found out about this problem!
    I have a 2001 ls and have had similiar problems for months. I live at the dealership and they hide when they see me coming. It starts fine cold. I drive it, park it and come back after 1 1/2 hours or more and it cranks for 8-10 seconds before it will start. Now I am getting a backfire under the hood with these starts. The lincoln dealer has had it on the computer and with a portable computer hooked up to it and it doesn't register squat for them. I have started taping my "slow starts" so I can take it to them and they can at least hear them. Prior to the slow starts I was driving the car and it just went dead! No lights, ps, pbs...nothing. Called the dealer and told them to come get it. I was not driving it as it was not safe. They could not find anything wrong but reprogramed the computer. Stange as it may seem, another lincoln ls had been in the shop the same day as mine with the same problem. I am leary to drive my car now. I love the ride and the looks of the lincoln ls but I just want the dang thing fixed!!!
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,504
    The airbag light is a known "issue." Mine is on all the time also. I bought my manual LS new 5.5 years ago.

As to how long until your clutch may need replacement. . . how long is a stick?

If the person driving the car with a clutch doesn't know what they're doing, it's possible to fry it in a few thousand miles. As is often said, your mileage may vary (YMMV). My car has 88K on it and I'm expecting to get 100K+ on my clutch. The bad news is that when I need it replaced, the mechanic will have (most likely) never have done it before.

Oh boy.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • b737mdhoub737mdhou Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a 2000 model LS and the front headlight bucket is fogging up. I did a search for this problem and didn't find anything about this. is there a fix for this?
  • tapasintapasin Member Posts: 12
    Hi,

Did anyone change break fluid by himself? I tried to change it. But it seems I can only reach one of two reserviour. I can not reach the second one. But after I drive for couple days, the old fluid will mix with new fluid. The two reservior seem linked together, but I can not remove the fluid in the second reserviour. Anybody has luck on this.
    Thanks for your response.
    I autocrossed my 95 Ford Contour V-6, MTX for 3 years and sold it with 88,000 miles and in excellent condition - on the original clutch.

I've heard stories like you mentioned (about clutch wear). I bought my LS used - took my car to the dealer to have transmission checked out and they turned me away because "they didn't have anyone qualified to work on my transmission".

What to do? - when it comes time to get a new clutch.

Lincoln stopped stocking parts like the shifter knob/boot for the manual transmission a couple years ago (in dark brown leather).
    Responding to my own post for everyone's benefit.

There were two sources to the "moosing" or howl from the engine bay.

1) Oil change place (nameless), did not put my airbox together correctly. The howl almost went away after re-assembling the airbox correctly.

2) Reservoir for the cooling system oil was low. Once filled the last of the noises went away.

FYY
    My 2000 just started doing the same thing TODAY.

???
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,504
    Hadn't realized how sad it really was (referring to your being turned away). Better that than having them try to fake it, though.

I guess what I'd do, given that scenario, would be to look for an independent BMW or European shop. The Getrag in the LS is the same as was used in BMW's of the same era, and possibly others (Audi, etc.). The shop can get hold of the LS maintenance manual for any specific engine/trans removal tricks & tips, and you (we) should be good to go.

Good luck with your LS. Other than a cooling fan drive (hydraulic) issue & the typical window regulator stuff, mine has been pretty solid. Should hit 100K miles next year sometime.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • whitelightwhitelight Member Posts: 2
    mine started on thanksgiving day. i took my car to work, and it was very cold. it sounds like the cooling fan is running but it is not. the sound starts to occur at about 1000 to 1400 rpms, but if i step on the gas, it goes away until the rpms reach the before mentioned rpm range.
  • bobczbobcz Member Posts: 2
    I had the same problem on a 2002. Took it to Lincoln while it was under warranty, they had to replace the whole assembly. Apparently it is not supposed to fog and when it does, it indicates a seal failure.
  • bobczbobcz Member Posts: 2
    Recently an intermittent grinding noise has started coming from the brakes on my 2002 Lincoln LS with Advance Trac. At first I thought the pads were worn so I had new brakes and rotors installed. That didn't solve the problem. The noise is especially prevalent when driving in traffic. The brakes seem to heat up and actually smoke. The noise is very similar to when Advance Trac is engaged in slippery conditions, however I get this noise now on dry pavement. Any ideas?
  • dcls6dcls6 Member Posts: 13
    OK, guys, what's the deal with the moaning sound @ 1250 rpm in traffic, lower gears (only after some start/stop errands)? I've suspected the hydraulic fan (which doesn't run unnecessarily)and related system - but what actually makes the noise? It's been happening for about 2 years - a minor annoyance. :confuse:
  • cjerredcjerred Member Posts: 1
    You seem familiar enough to help me out... my 2001 ls has a smell occasionally that resembles a hairdryer overheating. logically seems to be the heated seats... have any idea what it is??? also, is power steering in these cars known to whine? Any help would be greatly appreciated. i just bought it with 36K miles on it and it's a wonderful car. don't want it to become a burden so if you have any tips on known faults that i can be aware of would help too.
    When do you get that smell, exactly? Is it only after hard acceleration or keeping the car at high rpms for 10-15 seconds?

As for the power steering - Ford power steering pumps do tend to whine more than others, especially near the limits or when it's cold. If it does it when it's warm during normal steering then it needs to be checked out. Could be a bad hose.
  • bobn4bobn4 Member Posts: 1
    When driving my 2002 LS under normal conditions the Trac control light comes on and stays on until I shut off the ignition. When I restart the light will be off. This happens intermitingly, with no cause(loss of trac.). the trac. control works normally otherwise. This vehical has the stability control also. Why?Is there a sensor (Wheel) going bad?">link title
  • 45674567 Member Posts: 2
    My transmission went out suddenly friday >The dealer is saying it will cost 3100.00 to replace. It has 39900 miles on it . It has been serviced at each interval as recommended. Where can I find updates re; this transmission. I belive this to be a flaw in some component of this transmission
    Thanks
  • lateralglateralg Member Posts: 929
    Check you owners' manual. I believe that your warranty is 4 yrs/48,000 miles. When did you take delivery?
  • heyjewelheyjewel Member Posts: 1,046
    Have you tried switching AdvanceTrac OFF? Could be it's gone whacko and is riding the brakes.
  • heyjewelheyjewel Member Posts: 1,046
    "2) Reservoir for the cooling system oil was low. Once filled the last of the noises went away."

Er, 'cooling system oil' ???
    Probably the power steering fluid that powers the hydraulic cooling fan.
  • 45674567 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for your input. I bought the car used August 2004
    Warranty expired August 2005
  • evelereveler Member Posts: 2
    We have the same problem with our 2000 LS. Sometimes it stalls on rapid acceleration. It usually will restart but it could be a dangerous situation. The dealer has had the car for two weeks and everything they check comes out ok and they say they are stumped. Could air control motor check test ok and still need replacement,the same with the coil and fuel pumps? we are at a loss on what to do. Any suggestions?
  • decibels5decibels5 Member Posts: 1
    ON THE LS V8 2001. WOULD YOU PLEASE TELL ME WHICH ONE AND WHAT DOES THE COOLANT BLEED VALVE LOOK LIKE. THANK YOU.
  • evelereveler Member Posts: 2
    Yes, my wife's car which we bought with about 20,000 miles on it had a tire noise which the dealer said was a flat spot on a tire. They put new tires on it and it was ok for about 5000 miles and then it started again. When we rotate the tires and put the noisy tire on the rear it isn't as noticeable but I can't offer a solution.
  • tswantswan Member Posts: 1
    weman,

Did u get a solutioin on this? i have the same car with the same problem. im handy and technical and i think i can handle replcaing a sensor without the dealer raping my wallet over something so simple. how did you go about fixing this "fuse".

any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

thank you in advance
  • mwdreammwdream Member Posts: 91
    I'm thinking of buying a 2003 LS. Can people please tell me the most common problems with the car and thoughts, etc.... it seems like a good amount of car for the money. But I'd like to know the reliability. I will have some factory warranty left on it.

Thanks for all your help!
    Reliability is good. Most common problems are the transmission valve body (probably already replaced if it was a problem) and higher than average wear on one side of the rear brakes.
This discussion has been closed.