Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

1998 kia sportage 4wd not kicking in

grabbyabbygrabbyabby Member Posts: 1
edited March 2014 in Kia
i have a 1998 kia sportage and want to know if there are any recalls on the four wheel drives not working in them, supposedly mine does not kick in. help

Comments

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Here's some recall information and it might lead you elsewhere.

http://www.safetyalerts.com/recall/autorecall/00/sportage.htm

http://www.safetyalerts.com/recall/autorecall/00/sportage.htm

I did a quick scan of all these and while the car seems to have its share of problems and people complaining about them, nothing at all on 4WD.

I suspect with a car 5 years old that you are just having typical wear and tear issues. If the car has an electrically operated "shift on the fly feature" that's probably the area to look at, that electrical circuit. There is often a solenoid and/or a little motor that engages the transfer case. This is where I would look first.
  • zueslewiszueslewis Member Posts: 2,353
    check with a dealer - the TSB acknowledges the 4x4 engagement issue and calls for replacement of the front hubs.
    Question on that...if it's a TBS it's a fix right, not an automatic parts replacement. So a TBS can't be a recall. Or am I confused. I always thought TBS was "try this, try that..."

Does anyone have the time to post the TBS itself so we can see what's up?
    TSB #007R, and text: "THIS BULLETIN PROVIDES INFORMATION ON A CHANGE TO THE SPORTAGE 4WD HUB SEALS".

The seals fail, causing the hubs not to engage. When I was with the Chrysler/Kia store, we did bunches of them. Most Kia dealers treat them as silent recalls.
    Ah, the seals...okay...I thought it meant the entire hub assembly swapped out, which is kind of a big deal for a TBS.

Anyway, that makes sense.
    the hubs as a kit -
    You mean the little parts inside? "small parts rebuild" I think they call it in the trade.
    they just change the seals, the outer bearing and the outer gear thingy.

I can't believe I used the word "thingy", but what else to you call the whatchahoosit that's inside the hub cover?
    yeah, that's a "thingy", I just looked it up.
    I wonder what the attorneys and judge would think if I used the word "thingy" in court to describe something automotive??
    I don't know but I'd like to be there.
    Mr Lewis, are you telling the court that you're referring to the Automatically Adjusting Centrifugal Navigational Flux Capacitor as a "thingy"!!??
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    doing is switching to WARN mechanical hubs up front. Yep-you have to get out and manually switch them over to being on for 4WD driving but they're VERY reliable from that point on. I drive a 2001 Sportage 4x4 and haven't experienced this problem yet with mine but it's a "silent" recall item that is fixed as has been stated above by the dealer.

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

and yes, Warn hubs are great.
    I can't remember if you got a dog or not. Yeah, I just got back online this AM and I'm glued to this thing like Dennis Rodman's smelly socks to his large feet after a fresh battle with Karl Malone under 'da boards. Hope he doesn't sign on with the Lakers. The regulars on the kiasportagevstheworld site are VERY used to the hub problem with the Sportsman-I may still have to deal with it in the future.

not allowed at my new house (townhome rules).

Dennis Rodman's getting back into the NBA? First I'd heard of it, but then I usually stay away from the "sensationalist" news stories.
    it didn't state who he would sign with or when he would sign but that he still thinks he can contribute. He must be bored...the man can DEFINITELY rebound the basketball! I always remember your dog story, sad as it is though. A dog survived a gassing at a St.Louis pound! They opened the door and this mixed-breed pup(not sure what kind of mixture)was staring at them! They just grabbed him outta there and now they must pick an owner for him that will be a good "long-term" match. Cool, huh? As for the WARN mechanicals, the boys on the online Sportage forums speak very highly of that fix. Easy to do and lasts for the rest of their ownership experience. I'll be monitoring my 4x4 for front-end 4WD hub performance this Missouri winter!

• arkainzeyearkainzeye Member Posts: 473
    my neighbors 98 sportage had the front hubs replaced 5 times. every year something rusted on them, and caused then not to work.also they mentioned something about a seal NOT sealing correctly
  • boredbored Member Posts: 300
    The new Double-Seal Hubs for 2001-2002 had fixed that problem. I pass by the local Kia dealer very often, and I don't see many '01 Sportages up for repair very often.

I have heard stories about '98-'00 Sportages getting the new hubs...so, anyone who has hub problems might want to give this a try.
This discussion has been closed.