Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Element Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• ghuletghulet Member Posts: 2,564
    I'd say that about ANY car.

Bigandtall, your price doesn't sound so bad. I don't know how many dealers are in the Indianapolis area, but I doubt you could have done a whole lot better without having to travel or do an e-mail blitz or spend hours on the phone or at dealers. Don't sweat it.
  • warchiefwarchief Member Posts: 1
    Hello: I have been looking for leftover 03 models and have been offered two models. I am asking the group here to tell me if these are good deals or is it possible to do better?

The first is an 03 Element EX AWD Automatic. Brand new, only options added are mud guards/flaps and roof racks. Offered at $19,900. Color: orange.

The other is an 03 Element DX AWD Automatic. This model has air conditioning added, upgraded wheels, tinted windows, plastic window guards on the two front windows (keeps the rain off if you want to open the window, I am told)and mud guards/flaps. This vehicle is new, although it has 1,000 miles on it from test drives. Offered at $17,950. Color: my choice, black or silver

Are these good deals? They offered to reduce the price of the DX if I didn't want the fancy wheels. I have my own stereo system to put into the DX, but only the EX has Anti-lock brakes and the roof compartment.

It looks like I have seen one or two deals on this site that were better than these, but I am new to this site.

Any responses would be appreciated. Thanks.
  • northwest1northwest1 Member Posts: 65
    I am also new to this site. Is there a reason for all these leftover 03's? Overproduction? Underdemand? Dealers willing to hang on to them rather then sell them for a "good" price? Normally this far into the subsequent model year, last year's inventory would be long gone, so there must be a "rest of the story" to what is going on. Thanks.
  • lalagimplalagimp Member Posts: 61
    In the last week of December I paid $19850 for my 03 EX auto 4WD.

that included tax, title, dmv fees, destination

splash guards
    keyless
    carpet mats
    ashtray ( never got it installed i changed my mind)
    cargo cover
    seat back bungees
    skylight shadescreen
    free oil for 2 years/30K

And it came with 181 miles on it in the Washington DC area.

*Shrugs*
  • lalagimplalagimp Member Posts: 61
    yeah lots of people would hold onto them then cutting down lower then invoice. they don't get huge shipments so i don't think it's an issue of having to think they need to shove them out the door.

I did have a problem with a local dealer i went to first accusing me of making him my "santa claus" and then i went to the next dealer, told him everything i wanted and my range and had my car within 2 hours of paperwork and scheduling installation appointments.

I have though the last 30 days seen a few more willing to budge and random specials...
    It's weird eh?
  • bigfurbigfur Member Posts: 649
    I just moved here, looking at the element to replace my silverado 1500. Moved here from Minnesota, in Minnesota the Honda dealers wouldnt budge even a lil on any vehical. Does anyone know if south florida is the same way or can i make these people budge.
  • ztorinztorin Member Posts: 48
    I was recently quoted $20,182 online, ($19,692 + $490 Dest.) for a 2004 EX AWD Auto (w/side airbags). From what I've been reading on here the last month or so, that seems like a pretty fair deal right out of the starting gates. On the dealer's follow-up email, he even came back with free lifetime State Inspections (MA), which I will try to trade-up for free lifetime oil changes. How much more room does the dealer have?? $600 holdback, but what else?? Edmund's so called "bottom line" TMV w/destination is $21,220 , WELL OVER $1000 more than my online offer. Is this a pretty good deal considering I've spent a total of 5 minutes working it through email??
  • bshelbshel Member Posts: 232
    That is a good price. Looking at consumer reports buying guide, the Invoice is $19,923 add $490 destination and subtract $641 dealer holdback leaves you at $19772 (consumer reports wholesale price). Their internet price of $20,182 gives them a profit (reasonable) and that would be great to negotiate the oil changes in that deal.

Enjoy it!
    I used that pricing above, and went back to another dealer through email (I replied to his recent follow-up), and this new dealer came back with $19,990 INCLUDING the $490 destination, making it $19,500. How about that ???
    that is a great price.
    I went down to the dealer tonight and took her for a ride with the inventory manager (great guy, he had us cracking up the whole ride, his first words were "drive it like you just stole it"). I was very impressed. I took it on the highway, and he had me take it down some VERY bumpy back roads, and it was a very comfortable, smooth ride. It drives like a car, very easy to navigate. I'm 6'2" and I was very comfortable in the driver's seat. I told him I'd be back in touch with the internet sales guy tomorrow, to finalize the terms (I'm either going to try for the carpeted floor mats, or the free oil changes for a year as my freebie/deal maker). They have 3 orange's in stock, so I didn't have to worry about any deposit tonight. I'll keep you updated with the final verdict. I hope to have her home by the weekend.
    He threw in the floor mats, but nixed the oil changes (dealer policy)... whatever... I'm going after the mudflaps now...
  • scooter4scooter4 Member Posts: 6
    I'm in upstate NY and I'm about to start shopping for an Element. Would you mind telling me what dealers you've found to have good prices? Where in MA are you?
    Basically I used Edmunds to email off price quotes to dealers in my general area (30 miles or so). They were Commonwealth (Lawrence,MA), Bernardi (Natick,MA), Peters (Nashua,NH), and Atamian (Lowell, MA). Peters never actually emailed me a price, they just sent me a generic "call us" email, so I nixed them as I refused to actually speak to a rep until the deal was done. Commonwealth kept sending emails to me that weren't for "me", they were for someone else, and I tried to get them to resolve it and email me a price, and the didn't so they were also nixed. Bernardi quoted $20,182 (which included the $490 Destination). I asked him to do better and he said that it was his best "internet" price. Atamian quoted me $19,994 (including destination, making it $19,504) which I felt was the best price I had seen anywhere (including this forum and 3 or 4 other forums). They were also the only dealer of the four, that actually had the Orange EX/AWD/Auto with Side Airbags IN STOCK. That's where I ended up. They were phenomenal, and allowed me to deal with them exclusively through email, and I never "spoke" to a sales rep until the night I signed the papers. All of the people involved at the dealership were fantastic, no-games, pressure-free, and made the whole experience so easy. I actually felt like I didn't get the chance to "negotiate" anything since their price was so good, so I had him throw in some extras for me to seal the deal.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Great email wheeling and dealing - congrats!

Steve, Host
  • outofmyelementoutofmyelement Member Posts: 1
    Hi there.
    Call it mid-life, call it fun, but I have fallen in love with a 2004 Element. How does this pricing sound? 2WD EX, Sunset Orange (no side air bags)Everything else standard with a 2004 EX. $19,106.28. Dealer says it is his cost. (This is without TTL)
    Is this a Automatic or MT? If AT, then the dealer's price is $18,300.

If he wants you to pay 19,100, have him throw in some accessories.
  • jeblairjeblair Member Posts: 2
    I am seriously considering purchase of a 2004 LX AWD Manual Trans. Can these be purchased at invoice?
    Depends on the area in which you live. Competition with other dealers - what is in inventory.
  • ratogratog Member Posts: 1
    The LX doesn't seem to be selling much since I don't see many posts regarding the LX.

I got a dealer guote of just under 18K drive out price for the LX 4wd with no additional options. The EX 4wd driveout price was almost 3K more. Should I bite the bullet on the LX with nothing or get the EX with all the standard options??

A local dealer also allowed me a 4 day test drive. Loved IT.............
  • 84848484 Member Posts: 2
    I live in Atlanta and priced 2004 Element EX 2WD (orange) w/o add'l options. Best price in metro ATL was $19,381, with a $500 trade for my 1990 Saab 900 with 217k miles on it. Lanier Honda, 30 miles North, offered it for $17,996 ($19,255 out-the-door). BUT, they would not take my Saab on trade, so I was going to sell it myself, hoping for about $1,000. Before I could buy, I was on business in Thomasville, GA (250 mi. South of ATL), and dropped in to Thomasville Honda. I showed them my Buyer's Order from Lanier Honda, my Saab title and my blank bank check and told them I'd buy from them at the same price IF they would give me an out-the-door price of $18,100 which INCLUDES fees, tax, tag, title, and destination charges). They agreed, which equated to about a $1,200 trade for my Saab. They threw in keyless remote and the plastic tray that fits in the back cargo area. I believe I got an excellent deal.
    Sounds like a good deal to me. My question is this... Isn't Keyless entry a STANDARD option on the 2004 EX models ??
  • 84848484 Member Posts: 2
    HA! Great question! According to everybody EXCEPT Atlanta area dealers, keyless remote IS standard on EX models. The dealers here want from $250 - $349 for it. What a rip-off.
  • ellamentellament Member Posts: 3
    A Long Island dealer quoted $19,995 for 2004 EX AWD w/ side air-bags (included EVERYTHING but tax, DMV fee, NY State mandatory waste tire fee). Based on my research on Edmunds that is $218 BELOW the $20213 invoice price (which includes $490 dest. charge). How does the dealer make a profit by selling below their invoice price? I'm sure I'm missing something here. It would be great to have this INSIDE info up my negotiating sleeve.

Also, another Long Island dealer said he would sell the vehicle to me at THEIR invoice cost. Should that be any different than what is listed on Edmunds . . . .$20,213? And . . . to steer me away from the other offer noted above, he would include the following: 10 year / 100,000 mile extended gtee, Loaner Car when I'm in the shop, 40,000 mile Tune-up, Free Oil Changes (although I do not know for how long)? This too sounds pretty good. Any thoughts on this?

And lastly, for now, have dealers been known to include as freebies such things as mud flaps, roof rack, sun screen shade, bumper trim, rear air deflector?

I obviously want the best deal, but do not want to be completely unreasonable.

Thanks in advance
    That sounds pretty darn close to what I paid for the exact same vehicle, see my posts above. I paid $19,994 and that included Destination and dealer fees. Now, the addition of the 10/100,000 warrantee, tune-up and oil changes at no charge seems quite a bit fishy to me. Dealers make lots of money with the service department, so I'd be skeptical of that, and would ask to get that in writing and READ the fine print thoroughly. As far as the freebies, you can certainly ask, but when pricing get's that low, they may not want to add any more for you to sweeten the deal. I had my dealer throw in the carpeted floor mats (A MUST HAVE FOR THE ELEMENT, floors are VERY, VERY slippery and will scratch). You can probably get the mats thrown in, but as far as things thrown in that they have to "install", I would bet they don't go for it, but it certainly doesn't hurt to try. The price you were quoted is VERY competitive and you might sound unreasonable trying to have them throw in a few grand worth of extras in cost and labor to install. I'd try for the mats, leather steering wheel cover, and MOST DEFINITELY the cargo bins. I wish I had gone with the cargo bins, because you will soon find that groceries (especially) LOVE to fly around in the back, and anything else that's not tied down for that matter. The way-back is also pretty slick for things to slide around. They should make a carpeted mat for that section as well.
  • ggelementggelement Member Posts: 3
    Hi,

I just bought a green 2003 Element in the Atlanta area for a fantastic deal. It won't come w/out some work, but basically pulled out 18k on this EX AWD...and, this dealer pre-installs mudguards & the roof rack. I think there are only a handful of these 2003s around, however. Mine was manufactured in Dec 2003. I had a trade and insisted on atleast KBB trade-in value for it, although they initially offered much lower. I believe the best possible deal was made!
    Congratulations - gg - great deal!
    I made it on the front page of the new "forums" page !! Thank you Edmunds !!!
  • mx_tangmx_tang Member Posts: 3
    I just got an out the door price for a 2004 2WD EX automatic w/side airbags for $20,400 ($18,658 which includes destination without tax, title, registration, doc fees, etc). My previous dealership, where I bought my 2003 Civic LX, quoted me $100 less but they're charging a higher tax rate and fees, which makes the out the door price $20,600 with some freebies. I can get the $20,400 price down to $20,300 through a price match or possibly $20,250 if I really sound like I'm going to walk on the deal, but would feel comfortable paying anything under $20,500. Should I ask the first dealer for any of the freebies (cargo nets, carpeted floormats, etc) or just settle with that price?

It looks like the invoice + destination charge is $18922, so I'm paying $264 below invoice currently. I think the dealer holdback is $537 and $200 for the dealer advertising fee. Assuming they have all of the holdback and I'm paying $264 less than invoice, they still get roughly $273 + the advertising fees = $473 out of the deal.
    Invoice (taking into consideration destination and dealer holdback) is 18,523 for that model. I would ask for carpeted floormats, as they seem to be valuable regarding slippage.
    Pricing looks good. My theory on the freebies is that it doesn't hurt anyone to ask, and they get that stuff so cheap it's an outrage. I looked on Ebay and figured that Ebay's price was about 1/2 of the dealer price, and that was assuming at least a 50% markup. Carpeted mats are a must, and they are very nice mats, good qualily, and they look incredible in the Element. They're one large mat (front/back), cut and fitted and they look very polished. I'd nix the cargo net (heard it's not really that good), and ask for the cargo bins, those are ESSENTIAL if you plan on grocery shopping EVER.
  • figure5figure5 Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

I bought an Element this week, pretty excited about it. Thanks for all the posts, they were helpful in my negotiations.

2004 4wd EX w/SAB, 5spd, + splash guards, in Nighthawk Black Pearl

bottom line:

price -- $19080

destination, tax, title, docs -- $1920

$21,000 out the door, at Howard Cooper Honda in Ann Arbor, MI.

I purchased a yakima roof rack from REI, they're having some good sales right now...definitely cheaper, higher load capacity, and more durable than the honda factory rack.
    So . . . I am psyched!!! But apparently not as excited at my two and half year old little girl who kept saying "I LOVE MY NEW CAR DADDY" on the entire ride home from the dealer (Long Island/Suffolk County/NY).

Here's the breakdown (perhaps not a good word to use on a car site . . . . but you know what I mean):

4WD EXS (side airbag), Automatic Trans., Orange (Including $490 Dest. Charge, yes . . .INCLUDING Dest. Charge): $19,500.

Installed Accessories (Roof Rack, Side Steps, All Weather Floor Mats, Mud Guards): $1,010.

TOTAL (excluding tax and DMV charges): $20,510.

I started my research exactly one week ago and became extremely knowledgeable thanks to sites like this and . . . I think . . . ended up with a great deal.

By the way . . . the included MP3 Jack is the greatest thing to be added to a car since air-conditioning! I know . . . its a small detail on such a cool vehicle, but my iPod sounds SO much better than it did in my JEEP when played through a cassette deck adapter. Truly a night and day difference.

Also . . . (one last rave for tonight), after much reading in discussion boards all over he net I found that the most practical accessories were the ones I ended up with (although there seems to be some feeling that you can get more functional and cheaper mud flaps in the after market). But even if not "essential" for you, my feeling is that these items truly "finish off" the Element's look without overdoing it (especially the Side Steps and Roof Rack).

I hope this post helps those still in the shopping or negotiation phase.
  • so_caliso_cali Member Posts: 65
    looks like you in effect paid about the same $19900 (about $300 under invoice) for your vehicle, because they made the extra $400 on your accessories, that someone not buying any wouldn't have to pay.
    Actually, what was interesting was that I had first negotiated just the price of the vehicle for $19,500 (including $490 Dest. Charge) with the car sales guy, signed a bill of sale and put a $200 deposit on my credit card to lock-in that price. I made sure I had written in that I got my deposit back if I cancelled.

I then met with a different parts/service guy and had him give me his "Best" price for a wish list of accessories I might had wanted. His price was of course extremely high. I left the dealer and spent that night and the next day back on line and on the phone to many other dealers to find out their rates for the same accessories and installation. In essence, becoming as knowledgeable about accessories and installation rates as I felt I had become about the vehicle price. I'm sure it did not make the car sales guy feel good seeing me leave their dealership without actually knowing whether I was going to close the deal of cancel. This I felt gave me a little leverage.

Once I discovered what accessories I really wanted (roof rack, side step, mud flaps and all weather mats) I called the parts/service sales guy back and negotiated the price I was willing to pay (i.e. $1010 including parts and installation) and closed the deal. I was back at the dealer less than 24 hours later to bring the balance of the payment due and drove into the sunset with my new Sunset Organge Element.

While I can't say that my approach is the best or that it would work for everyone, I felt that it was all in all a rather painless process. The key to it all was my research and always keeping the negotiation civil and not antagonistic (that of course depends a lot on the person you happen to be sitting across the table from - I think I was lucky since everyone I dealt with was actually very nice and reasonable).

On the other hand I'm also sure they did not lose money on me!
  • amurphyamurphy Member Posts: 3
    Hi there! We're getting ready to have a baby in the next couple of weeks and I can't sleep.. so, I'm reading these postings and now I'm beginning to get worried. We live in the Detroit, Michigan area and worked a deal today for a '04 AWD auto trans. with/side air bags. The salesman said he's been selling these at MSRP, but I have no way of knowing if he's telling me the truth. He's selling us the vehicle for invoice of $19,723 plus $490 destination plus $500 profit. Total price $20,713. And there are no accessories thrown in as "freebies". Any thought's on if we're getting taken? I will say shopping on a Monday evening there were at least 3 other interested Element buyers in the dealership and test driving while we were working on the deal. It's definitely a very popular vehicle around here. Thanks for your help!
    amurphy, I don't think you are getting taken. It depends on where you live how closely one can buy near invoice. Using consumer reports, the invoice for the EX AWD AT w/sides is $19,772 (includes destination $490 and deducts for $641 holdback). It is hard to know if the dealer has been selling at MSRP. Some dealers refuse to throw in things like carpet mats or wheel locks, although there is no labor, and the cost is quite low. I wasn't able to negotiate any "freebies" until I revealed what other local dealerships offers were for the vehicle alone, and since I wanted a couple accessories that required labor, I negotiated the price for those and then they threw in cargo tray/wheel locks.
  • amurphyamurphy Member Posts: 3
    First, let me thank bshel for the reassuring response to my posting. Second, I have great pricing news! After reading all these postings, I got up this morning and emailed(through Edmunds) 6 different Honda dealers explaining my situation and asking for their BEST price. I got 5 emails back and started talking to the internet sales people via phone. I drove to 3 different dealers today and kept all their price breakdowns in writing. The last dealer I went to ended up matching a price he says is below invoice. I was going to leave and keep shopping, but the General Manager came in and asked what he needed to do to make the deal happen. We're getting an orange EX AWD w/side airbags for 19,982(price includes destination charge) and they're also giving us carpeted floor mats (MSRP $150.00)! I'm so happy and just wanted to relay the good news. The orange w/side bags is really hard to find around here, but they have one in stock. And we got a price around invoice.. more than $800 cheaper than what we were ready to pay yesterday. Good luck to those looking and use the internet quotes.. they work!
  • so_caliso_cali Member Posts: 65
    Sounds pretty good. I have been quoted $19900 plus tax & license here for the same vehicle, so I will try and get something thrown in like floor mats or mudguards.
    You're post is almost VERBATIM to mine from 2 weeks ago, including pricing and included floor mats for the EXACT same truck. Good Job!! You will LOVE her !! The only difference, is I didn't have to "talk" to anyone until the night I signed the paperwork. Maybe 20 minutes total in typing emails over the course of 2 or 3 days. Flawless. Thanks again to Edmunds and their forums.
  • derangedderanged Member Posts: 6
    Hello there,

Is there anyone out there with pricing experience for the Salt Lake City area? My wife and I considering the element to replace my '90 Range Rover as my daily driver. (The RR becomes the project vehicle.) Edmunds TMV price states that others in this area are paying $19,265 for an auto 4wd LX. Any help would be appreciated.
  • purduealum91purduealum91 Member Posts: 285
    $17,700 automatic. they are in Elmhurst, IL.
  • k4gpbk4gpb Member Posts: 2
    This forum has been a big help!
    2 months ago...
    Got my wife a 4WD EX Auto for almost #300 under invoice locally in
    Raleigh area and was wondering what others may have negotiated for
    on a 2WD LX 5-Speed, as I need one too!

Dealer I bought from via Internet has no inventory of 2WD LX 5-
    speeds.
    Best, fun, practical vehicle ever owned in 40 years of driving!

Goal is to get a 2WD LX 5-speed for $16k + TTL.
    I can travel 2-3 hours for a deal, from central NC

Gary in Cary NC
  • haresh02haresh02 Member Posts: 3
    Hi, I am from Nashville, TN and I just got my 2004 Honda 4W 5DR Element with side air, and the EX Sports Package (side steps,foglights,spolier,rrack) for $21,700. excluding tax and title. I am so happy because after lots of research and looking and test driving, I think we found our car! I am so proud too because I was able to let the only 2 Honda dealers in Nashville compete and give their best prices. I went to Crest Honda and they are the best!
  • jaytjayt Member Posts: 4
    After considering several makes and models, I'm compelled to purchase a a new 2004 EX 4WD with Side Air Bags. Can anyone offer their recent pricing experience in Northern California? I live in Sacramento but any dealership from here to the Bay Area is fair game. Thank you for your input.
  • sirloinsirloin Member Posts: 2
    Found a dealer with several 2003 EX AWD W/side air bags. After two weeks of back and forth grinding, the dealer met my offer of 18,250. including destination. The price was so good my buddy bought one too. The best price on a 2004 I could find was 600 under invoice. There are good deals out there if you are patient.
  • purduealum91purduealum91 Member Posts: 285
    Side air is only being offered in 2004. Please explain.
  • sirloinsirloin Member Posts: 2
    Side air was an option in 2003. Both 03's we bought have it. I found one without it for 250 less. All were automatics.
  • fatrabbitfatrabbit Member Posts: 2
    I got a quote from a local dealer in So Cal for a 04 Oragne EXS AT FWD w/ Wheel locks for 18321 + Tax + DMV fees. Is this a good deal?
  • jaytjayt Member Posts: 4
    From the perspective of No Cal, that seems like a good quote. I just purchased an 04 Shoreline Mist EXS AT FWD for $18,200 + Tax and DMV. Once I got the written quote, I emailed many dealers from Sacramento to SF looking for $18,100 and nobody bit. In fact, most emailed me back and said I wasn't being realistic. Also, one of the problems up here is that nobody can get EX's with side air bags. The dealer I purchased mine from told me it was only the second one they have received with SAB. So, if SAB is important to you then you may want to go for it because other dealers may have a tough time coming up with a similar vehicle. Good luck.
This discussion has been closed.