Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Element Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• deadfishdeadfish Member Posts: 4
    lgroses

My brother just bought a 2004 LX Auto Fwd (Orlando, Fl) for $16,500 + Tax, Fees etc... $18,500 Out the door (no rebates or trade in). The doc fees here are $499+. I think $17,522.00 for a LX AWD sounds about right. You couldn't beat that price in this area (Orlando).
  • lgroseslgroses Member Posts: 2
    Thank you for your reply deadfish. In addition to the quote of $17,522.00, I have been offered a cargo tray, which retails through cheaphondaparts.com for $69.30, plus sales tax, shipping, and handling. Not nearly enough. I am hoping that the Internet sales manager will somehow "sweeten the deal" to secure the sale. He is a good man, and I would like to give him my business.

How much is too much to ask for?

And conversely, how much is not enough? (I have two quotes of $17,522.00 from over the Internet, and another at a few dollars more.)
  • beakerbeaker Member Posts: 5
    Anyone buy an Element in Charleston recently? Best price and where? Thanks.
  • elementownerselementowners Member Posts: 2
    2005 Elements won't be on dealer lots until December/January. FYI.
  • nursebennurseben Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a 2004 Element LX AWD Manual for $17,984. What makes this a GREAT price is that the dealer got within $200 of Carmax on my trade. Carmax pays the best on trades if you have a new car. My trade was a 2004 truck.

What has worked for me in the past is to get the best price possible upfront, which usually means buying late in the model year, buying a manual transmission, and buying a model that is hard to sell; i.e. an LX AWD 5sp.

If you trade, you generally lose a little in that transaction; the dealer rarely wants your trade anyhow. I do think there is a point at which the dealer will not go any lower. Sure, they have some minor kickbacks from the mfd, but that accounts for only a few hundred per car. The low interest rate will save you a few hundred as well.

In the end you have to decide whether you really NEED to spend 20k on a car, when you could do better in the long run by buying a used vehicle and maintaining it. If you doubt this, talk to Click and Clack ;)

I used Edmunds to determine a bottom line. edmunds listed this vehicle at $18,000 before doc fees and prep. I told the dealer that they would need to eat those costs to sell me the vehicle, as well as the cost of finding that vehicle and brining it in to the dealership. They agreed quickly, which told me that they have some wiggle room left. I ended up pushing for an additional $400 on my trade, which brought me to my current deal.

I'm guessing that if I had not had a trade to push, I could have dropped at least another $400-500 off my purchase price, making a potential price of $17,484 for an 2004 LX AWD 5sp. Not too bad for a Honda.

BTW: West Side Honda in Knoxville, TN did right by me.

Ben
  • bassvoicebassvoice Member Posts: 1
    I just wanted to post my recent purchase of a '04 Element EX AWD 5M SRS in Green for 19,235. + tax and registration. Out the Door 20,546.00
    this was in the New York Metropolitan area. Hope this is a reference for someone. Happy hunting.
  • lottarocklottarock Member Posts: 3
    A local dealer has a couple of new 2003 DX models left over. I am interested in a silver AWD, but have no idea what kind of haggle point to use since new 2003 pricing is no longer available on any sites. Should I use used car pricing? I would think the dealer would be anxious to move these dinosaurs off the lot... Input welcome.
  • phongvuphongvu Member Posts: 5
    Just saw ads last weekend on LA Times for 04 EX for 18,925. But looking for EX with side airbag and AWD. What would be the good offer price for it in So Cali? Thank you
  • dragonchadragoncha Member Posts: 3
    is this a good deal? i know it's near the end of the year, so i want to make sure i am not getting screwed..

Invoice is $17694, 18184(+ Destination Charge), TMV=$18496.

seems like a good deal to me..
  • brownbatbrownbat Member Posts: 3
    Well dragoncha, that's a heckofalot better than what I'm being offered for a 2004EX automatic sans accessories. Dealer claims invoice is $19,984 and their best price is 20,200 + tax + license.

I think I need a negotiator!
    Help me decide! Should I go with the 2003 EX (automatic, running boards, wind deflectors, 6100 miles, 18 mos left on factory warranty) at 5.25% financing or the 2004 EX (automatic, no add-on accessories)at 2.9% financing?

Right now the dealer is asking $17,800 (+TTL) for the 2003 and $20,200 (+TTL) for the 2004.

I know nothing about negotiating or money so I'm turning to you nice folks for advice.

Thanks.

ps: I tend to keep my cars 10+ years, until they're unsafe to drive, so potential resale value is not a big concern here.
  • dragonchadragoncha Member Posts: 3
    this is a no brainer really, i would go with the brand new car...
    if you don't get the AWD or EX model, you should be able to get a price similar to 2003 element...

i would suggest you negotiate to get the invoice price.. you should be able to...

Good luck
  • coldfins04coldfins04 Member Posts: 2
    I have owned my 04 SMM 4WD EXS AUTO for 2 weeks now. I have never owned a car that was the cause of so much conversation and comments ( good and bad) I researched a long time and feel I got a great deal. $19995.00 includes rubber mat set and trunk tray plus tax , title and doc. When I went to pick it up it also had splash guards for free. They had to get it from another dealer.
    Excellent dealership customer service. Excellent follow up from the dealer and finance dept. Oh yeah 2.9 % too. What a deal. Test drove 3 times,
    fit the 2 kids and car seat in the back, took it on the highway. It is the PERFECT 2nd car. test drove at the local dealer who told me they could never do the above deal as they would loose $. Within 20 minutes of leavingthat dealer and going home to check email, I had a dealer that accepted the above offer.
    Wow! You really did do well. In fact, it seems like everyone who's posted here has gotten great deals.

Well, I finally bought my Element last night. Gave up trying to find the right demo or slightly-used, took advantage of that 2.9% financing and bought a 2004 Automatic AWD EX. By playing one local dealer against another, I got the price down to 19,549 (essentially Invoice, with a waived Destination fee)+TTL. Not great but fair.

Funny, all along I thought I had to have the Galapagos Green but when I looked at them lined up and compared interiors, I suddenly preferred and bought Shoreline Mist.

Thanks to everyone who's posted here. Between this forum and the Edmunds advice articles, I was much better prepared for the car buying experience.
  • pschadpschad Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a new 2004 EX 4WD for $800 below dealer invoice. I called three other dealers in my area and they all said they couldn't touch it, go for it, so I did!! I'm very happy!!
  • makilamakila Member Posts: 2
    2004 Black EX AWD Automatic for $20,000 plus $218 for title, license, registration, etc. in Portland, Oregon.

First, my husband and I went to Ron Tonkin Honda on 122nd because they gave us a Costo Price quote of $20,207 for an EXS (but they added on a ton of accessories that weren't included in that quote). To make a long story short, the sales manager then offered the EX for $20,000 w/ free splash guards, we shook hands and went to get the car but the general manager nixed the deal and we left without the car. So that was 5 hours we'll never get back.

I wound up going to Thomason Honda on McLoughlin where I had bought my Civic 5 years ago. I told them what happened at Ron Tonkin and told them I would buy it from them for the same price with no splash guards. The sales manager briefly tested how stubborn I was and eventually sold it to me for that price. I only spent 1.5 hours there and then drove my new Element home!
  • mark5mark5 Member Posts: 2
    thinking about the purchase of a 2004 ex with auro and airbags...wanted to add the sport paackage and a bug shield..was just wondering....
  • mark5mark5 Member Posts: 2
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    You should try our chell specker! :-)

tidester, host
  • bigfurbigfur Member Posts: 649
    Im thinking (yes only thinking) about trading in my 2001 Silverado for a new/used element. I like the better mpgs of the element, the lower price, and the fact i have had bad luck with the Silverado. The truck has had problems with the heated mirrors and the engine coil packs. Not to mention the fact that its currently in the body shop for hurricane damage. I am just wondering what would be a good price for a Ex awd with a 5-speed in south Florida.
  • coghlancoghlan Member Posts: 1
    We've gotten about 6 prices for 2004 EX auto with air side bags but lowest is 19,380 before taxes though with 1.9 financing. Does anyone know if that's about the best we're likely to do? We're surprised that with the 2005's about out no dealers are bargaining. This would be our first one so we don't get what dealers are up to with this. Is no drop in price at end of model year the norm for Elements? Should we wait and get a 2005? Or wait for 2004 bargaining till 2005's are actually on the lots? Thanks for any info or advice.
  • madison26madison26 Member Posts: 3
    I am going to be purchasing a 2004 Element EX AWD, not sure of options yet. what amount should I be looking to pay. The sticker price is 21,000 and there is one on special fro 19,999. I am looking to try to get it down to the 17500 to 18000 range and pay a total of 18000 out the door price, is this too ambitious? What should I be expecting? area is West Chester, PA
  • novacouplenovacouple Member Posts: 31
    Looks like lots of Elements are on the lots. The 05s have not yet been rolled out. I read a story in the paper that said Element sales were much slower than expected. I'm thinking the prices should be mighty low by now. Please let us know about any recent buying experiences. Thanks, kathy
  • lalagimplalagimp Member Posts: 61
    They are always slow. I didn't get a great deal last year on a 2003 the last week of december without calling around and making it myself. The 2004 prices won't drop until mid next year.
  • nowakj66nowakj66 Member Posts: 709
    When are these supposed to hit the dealers?
  • gfxguygfxguy Member Posts: 18
    I just bought an 04 2WD EX Automatic for $18,800. It included the rip-off "clear coat", but also included roof rack crossbars and mud guards. I could probably have argued for a better price, but thought it was a good deal. CarsDirect price in my area for that car is $18,716, but that didn't include mud guards or the crossbars. Price includes destination, and is just a few dollars over Edmunds TMV ($18,731), which doesn't include the accessories.
  • shannon3shannon3 Member Posts: 4
    We bought our new 2004 Honda Element at Buerkley Honda in White Bear Lake Minnesota last week and I love it! We got the 2004 Element 5DR 4WD EXS, Fiji Blue Pearl with the front and side airbags. I just love this truck, sure beats the 2002 Dodge Caravan we got rid of! We paid $21,840.00 for ours but we got the 1.9% for 60 months! Can't beat that! The only down fall we have with it is that the AM stations do not come in very well, I called the dealer this morning and I guess the Element is not the only one that has this problem, the pilot has it too. I guess that is ok because it spares me from having to listen to the football games on long car rides with the Husband! Ha! Ha! anyone else around minnesota?
  • blueboyjocksblueboyjocks Member Posts: 36
    Finally Honda release 2005 Element on their website, I'm still in the market between CR-V and Element, if I end up with the element I'm thinking to get the 2005 2WD EX Auto Magnesium Metallic. If anyone have bought any 2005 Element, please be kind to share your buying experience. What model, color, transmission, price and last but not least, why the element? Does anyone know why the discussion Element vs CR-V is for read only?
  • bigfurbigfur Member Posts: 649
    I USED to live in minnesota till last january (girlfriend lived in Florida, not a bad change) but i was thinking if i can get a better deal on an element in MN i would drive it back down here to save some money. And even living in Fl i would STILL get AWD.
  • rallyegirlrallyegirl Member Posts: 7
    Boy do I need help, how do I negotiate a price for 2005 Ex, I would like fog lights and the steps, Rallye Red, they will be coming in soon at my nearby dealership and I have no clue where to start to buy! I have a very old car for trade in...I would appreciate all the help I can get
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,142
    Well, Step 1 is to tell us where you live (or where you're shopping). The market is different from place to place.

Step 2 is to swing by our discussion called Real-World Trade-In Values, read the red lettering, and post the details about your trade-in vehicle to get an idea of what to expect.

Step 3, return here and we'll help you find what others are paying in your area, including incentives and rebates, and maybe some of our members can recommend a few good dealerships.

kirstie_h

Roving Host

Host, Smart Shopper & Future Vehicles discussions

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? [email protected] - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

Your best weapon is patience. You might want to wait until the 2005 Elements are in and you see people posting their experiences/prices here.

Don't forget to read "Confessions of a Car Salesman" (found on this website) if you are planning on going to a dealership. If you give it some more time, you can get Edmunds TMV as a basis for your negotiating. If you wait long enough, you should be able to see the carsdirect prices for new Elements, too. That's usually a very reasonable price.

Evaluate your current car with Edmunds and Kelly Blue Book (kbb.com), but don't expect to get that amount. You might want to try a CarMax, if there is one in your area, for a free appraisal, good for a week, on your car. You don't need to buy from them to sell to them, although you'll miss a tax break on your new car.

There's a lot of advice on Edmunds.com for buying a car. The more you learn about it the better.

EDIT: I wanted to add that there are places to buy genuine Honda accessories online. The dealer markups and high installation costs will make the options you want very expensive. Don't know if it's correct to post the website I use here, though, so I'll wait and see what a moderator has to say about it.

Many accessories are easy to install. For example: I bought wheel locks, mud guards, and the tray liner for my Odyssey - the dealer wanted to charge a LOT for installation of these things that litterally took just a few minutes. I mean, come on! Installation for the tray? It just drops in! Some are not so easy (like steps), but if you can handle it then you can save quite a bit.
    Thanks for the quick reply, I live in the Youngstown Ohio area, I have several dealerships near me, The Honda Store in Boardman ( just about next door, I could walk!also I lease a 2004 Civic there for my daughter) There is Shenengo Honda in the New Castle Pa area and Apostolakis in Cortland, Ohio. Youngstown is considered a depressed area, I thought I could get a great price. I have my financing already, in essence I will be paying cash. Does this help or hurt me? My trade in is only worth about 400 dollars, I told you it was old!! I have a friend who worked out a deal at Shenengo Honda, she got a great price and they agreed to give her free oil changes! I would appreciate all the help I can get!! Thanks!!
  • thekingtheking Member Posts: 107
    I bought an 05 ex awd with auto last tonight. I paid the invoice price of

$20584 + $300 for a total of $20884 and the dealer is installing the

following Honda accessories.at no extra charge............

1. Rocker Panel Trim

2. Fog Lamps

3. All Seasom Mats

4. Rear Cargo Tray

5. Armrest with Storage

6. Front Hood Deflector

7. Honda Security System

8. Rear Bumper Guard

9. Gas Cap Lock

10. Mud Flaps

11. Grey Leather Steering wheel cover

Dealer is charging $99 Doc Fee and including Black Pin Striping.

Color is the new red. Do you think I got a good deal ???
  • wildbillwildbill Member Posts: 12
    sounds great to me! Where are you located. I am in Mpls MN and plan to purchase soon.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,142
    That doesn't sound like a good deal... it sounds like a GREAT deal! That red color is really nice, and it sounds like you got some good extras and a very reasonable doc fee.

Don't forget to share your ownership experience with others in our regular Honda Element discussion.

kirstie_h

Roving Host

Host, Smart Shopper & Future Vehicles discussions

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? [email protected] - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• shannon3shannon3 Member Posts: 4
    I live in MPLS, MN too. I know of a good place to buy one!
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    Actually that sounds too good to believe. I hope that dealer honors the price since some of those accessories are expensive to install.

That deal would lose a lot of money for the dealer and it's a 2005. not a leftover '04.
    I agree, this sounds too good to be true. Does your dad own the dealership? Well good for you if you get that price, I have hope then that I can get a good deal.
    The dealership just called and my Rallye Red is in.....Oh Lord, can I contain myself? I've been driving a 1990 Sillouette minivan forever and I have thanked God everyday for the convenience, fiberglass, no rust and most of all I can haul just about anything, lost my husband in a terrible tragedy and concentrated on raising my daughter,(you know sacrifices a Mother makes) I got her into a beautiful red ex civic with all the extras and NOW ITS MY TURN!!!!! Never got excited about any of the cars on the road until one day walking the dog and this BOX drives by...."what the heck was that?" I didn't like it then but what did I know???????? Wish me luck I'm going to take a valium and put my game face on...how will I contain myself when I see my EEEEEEEE???? I have been waiting since last June....wasn't satisfied with the prices on the 04's and when I heard the whispering that Red was coming, well I couldn't settle for black, I go for drama and the orange was awesome but I'm not an orange kind of person, one of my coworkers has the orange and I can't wait to park my red with black panels next to hers, I wonder if they will become friends? Don't mind my rambling, I can't believe that FINALLY, I will be an owner, I made my mind up that a couple hundred dollars will not break me....does it sound crazy to have a bottom line of 22,000.00 total with fogs and steps? I can't wait to be a true element owner of the elementownersclub!!
    Calm down!!!

According to the hondanews.com website, the list price is 20,325 for EX automatic. Even with '04's on the lot, you should be able to do better than that.

According to the website where I buy Honda accessories:

- 330 for the side steps

- 242 fog light kit

Those prices are not for 2005 though, and doesn't include installation. Still, add six hundred and lets say it's an even 21,500 maximum, including destination charge. I have no doubt you should be able to go under 20500, and if you play your cards right, a lot less than that, even. Subtract your trade in, add taxes and so forth, I think 22K should be fine... of course, I'm not a dealer and I don't know what they are charging.

Your best bet at this point is to call several dealers with your selection. Don't let them talk you into something else (they'd rather sell you one they have or have already ordered than order a new one). Get the prices (including installation and so forth for your accessories), and definitely call several places as well as looking for online prices.

I have to tell you, I have an Odyssey and an Element, and while the Ody has a lot more going for it for creature comforts, I enjoy the Element a lot more. I was just like you - I didn't like it at first but it grew on me. That's one way to know you'll like it for a long time... things that seem great right off the bat tend to lose their quality over time (look at the PT Cruiser now... not such a big deal, afterall). Things that you grow to like tend to stay that way for a long time.

And just like you, I'm WAAYYY outside the demographic for this car! That red color looks VERY cool. I'm excited for you and I don't even have my tags yet!

I have to keep saying this; read "Confessions of a Car Salesman" available on Edmunds website, and definitely shop around online to get a good idea of what you want (unfortunately some places, like carsdirect, don't give you the accessories as options), and definitely call around.

You will be your own worst enemy if you are too excited to think clearly when you buy the car.
    Thanks for the great advise, I gave an offer of 21,800, that is tax (1350.00) and all. Including the fog lights only. I knew that the steps were going to really cost me at the dealership so I thought I would purchase online and have them put on for a fraction of the cost. The dealership that is near me gave me a terrible offer and that made we really come down to earth. I called the other dealers that I was in contact with thru the internet and one topped the others deal. All in all, I haven't signed anything but I did give a deposit so they could get my red 4wd from another dealer. So what do you think, 21,800? Total with fogs?
    Tags + Tax + Title + Destination for 21,800 for an EX 4WD with fog lights...

I don't know... I like waiting until I can find prices online, and so far carsdirect only has 2004. I paid 18.8 + tax for a 2WD EX with no fog lights, but that was 2004. I know I didn't get the greatest deal possible, but I was happy.

So, adding on the 4WD and the foglights and the fact that it's 2005 (and includes the tax), it sounds like a good deal to me!
  • carglowcarglow Member Posts: 91
    I haven't found 05 E invoice prices yet on Edmund's or Carsdirect.

Has anyone seen them yet?
    This is from Edmunds:

Official: 2005 INVOICE Pricing

------------------------------------------------------------------ ---------------

2wd lx 5 spd $16640.88

2wd lx 4 spd auto $17378.80

2wd ex 5 spd (side airbags) $18554.86

2wd ex 4 spd auto (side airbags) $19292.78

4wd lx 5 spd $17932.24

4wd lx 4 spd auto $18670.16

4wd ex 5 spd (side airbags) $19846.22

4wd ex 4 spd auto ( side airbags) $20584.14

I had these as soon as they hit the page, I did my shopping already, my Rallye Red is coming next week!
  • carglowcarglow Member Posts: 91
    Thanks. Where did you find that?

I still don't see it on Edmunds.
  • mickjazzmickjazz Member Posts: 21
    i noticed that edmunds doesn't have any reference to element whatsoever maybe because they're waiting for 2005 or something. also carsdirect.com won't let you get a quote on an element either, same with edmunds.

also dealers have told me they won't get many 2005's until feb or later as they still have a few 2004's, tho some have nothing and can't get any inventory either.

on the west coast are the dealers in oregon or la area cheaper. i was looking to go to oregon because they are closer to my home in seattle.
  • rtzx9rrtzx9r Member Posts: 1
    Edmunds removed the 2004 element pricing a few days ago- there is still no 2005 pricing.

We ordered our 2005 red element ex awd auto for 20,007 + 400 dealer fee. total w/ tax/tag etc. out the door is 21,900, and that is w/ floormats only.

We live in S. Fl and have to wait until late feb to take delivery- there are NO awd red ones available yet. Plus the dealers in W. Palm Beach would not go under inviuce so we are getting it from Tampa to save $630.
  • baker5baker5 Member Posts: 7
    Anyone know or has hd experience with Brandfon Honda in Brandford CT? CarsDirect pointed me in that direction for an 04' EX 4wd at 19,200. There are not many Honda dealers around here and need some feedback.
  • mickjazzmickjazz Member Posts: 21
    I think you got a very good deal pricewise.

if it is an ex awd auto. which has an invoice of 20,584 + 515 for dest charges. before tax etc you would have to pay 21,099 at invoice. without the fog lamps

today i was offered an ex 4wd auto from a las vegas dealer for 21,084 plus 693 in 'dealer fees' which are not taxes or title xfer.

it would seem to me you got the car for 1150 under invoice + dest.

great deal!

mikc
This discussion has been closed.