Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Element Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• cwalticwalti Member Posts: 185
    I think this is a good time to buy an Element.

My brother in law just drove a 2006 Pilot 2WD EX-L DVD with running boards, mudguards, wheel locks, and mats off the lot for $31,100.--. I thought this was a smoking deal!!! I would be happy to make the connection to MY Honda pusher... I got three, my brother in law has two and mother in law has an 06 Accord EX... :-) (-: Chris.
  • missbethmissbeth Member Posts: 2
    I want to buy a honda element but a review said that they bog down when you have 150 pounds in the back or more. I want to buy the ex-p but I dont know that much about them.
    That has to be a bunch of carb... 150lbs cannot even bogdown a Yugo... Go look at one at your local Honda pusher. They arebuilt like a tank and will easyly last you 20 years if you look after it a bit...
  • mickjazzmickjazz Member Posts: 21
    Hi

After a long search for a 'good price' on a awd ex auto i found a dealer in oregon who would sell me the car for about $700 under inv incl dest.

Because we are not near the dealer at the present time we were going to buy the car sight unseen and then pick it up a few weeks later. his price expires he says on 5-31-06 i guess when the $500 dealer cash from honda also ends.

no problem, even tho i thought about issues with the paint or something like scratches whatever. i asked him how many miles on the car and he told me on the phone 8 miles.

so he sends the purchase paperwork - about 10 days late - and on the odometer statement it says '54 miles.'

my wife thinks and i kind of agree with her that this is not the original car which has probably been sold and the car in question is likely a demo car but it may have been driven over from another dealer.

anyway we are now going to go to the dealer before the end of the month to see any car we buy before we buy it.

it just sounds a bit fishy.

what do you think?

thx mike
  • pleiadespleiades Member Posts: 38
    I'd never be tempted to "buy" sight unseen" unless I had recourse. If it's been sold before, that would be on record and it's a used car.
    Picked up my new LX today, miles=49, they drove it from another dealer because they didn't have the one I wanted at Gardena H. I'm told they need about 200 miles of easy, various speed driving to fully "break in" evenly, so the way I see it, they helped.
    My car had a few "rubs", but I don't worry about pristine, it also came with wheel locks, a tray and mud flaps I didn't have to pay for and it's only a matter of time before some idiot bangs it with his car door...so...I'm not going to worry about anything minor.
    I hope you get what you want and a good deal! I'm very pleased with mine, I put about another 150 miles on it today getting used to it (getting lost in OC looking for the Container Store and a place to eat). I loved it!
    18,090.88, total (car, delivery (included in all their estimates), documentation, alarm, tax)LX, 2wd MT. Mud flaps, a back tray and wheel locks thrown in because I didn't want them and they didn't want to take them off. A little song and dance about "protection" plans when I asked about installing an alarm and whether it would effect my warranty if installed elsewhere (answer, yes it might/would in the event of electrical problems (client telling long sad story about running between dealer and instller when problems developed))Alarm at $595 between my estimates from local profesionals (400 to 700). Later wished we had been more specific about what exactly was going to be installed, but I haven't had a problem with them yet, so don't expect it to start now.
    Went for a long drive today, down to OC on PCH to get used to it, easier than I thought in spite of it's size. Really enjoyed driving my new Element! Funny time trying to figure out windsheild wipers...must read book.
    Gardena Honda, internet department...lots of talk online, saved me lots of time
  • philcarphilcar Member Posts: 2
    only mag I found mentioned wind noise at highway speed.
    comments?
    Congratulations!!! The thing is built like a tank and will last you a lifetime...!!! Crank up Brahms abd Dvorak and you will be in 7th heaven!
    Thank you! I am most pleased! You must be psychic, making some "car copies" of favorites today, Brandenbergs, The Four Seasons...Jai Uttal...
    I just need to get used to the "spacial" quality, backed into a post wisely placed at complex to protect outside faucets, significant "thump", thought "darn, there's my first ding!"...got to work and looked, not a mark on it! But I need to go out and practice moving around accurately, backwards.
    I didn't notice wind noise, road noise though and it's a bit bumpy, maybe because it's new. Rides more like my ex's 3/4 ton stepside than my bosses new 4-runner. I don't mind it but I see why it would bother some. It doesn't ride like a comfort car and our CA freeways...well, more like an off road experience. We need to re-elect Arnie so they can continue fixing them.
    I was never a fan of cushy cars, don't know why.
  • jwalzerjwalzer Member Posts: 1
    I would like to pay $20,000 for an loaded Element EX-P (auto, AWD) including tax, title/plate. is this reasonable?

One dealer is offering a loaded Element for $21,677 w/o tax, title/plate. I'm thinking they should be able to knock off at least $1,000 on this price if not more.

Thanks...
  • mickjazzmickjazz Member Posts: 21
    I finally found a dealer in oregon with the ex awd auto i wanted - arctic blue - and picked it up sunday. purchase price $20027 not including tax and titling. had to pay $50 for a temp 30 day permit as i am titling it in utah. No access on the car which the dealers will often load up in oregon. Not the cheapest price i found but within a few hundred and the others were in calif where you must pay the 8.75% sales tax regardless.

FYI the dealer - ron tonkin - was very good but it did take hours to get out of there even tho signing the papers only took 10 minutes! the finance person did offer me a 7yr/90000 ext warranty with $100 ded for $1200 and seemed to be surprised when i turned it down.

i fiananced it with honda credit as they had 4.99 for 48 months just for the weekend i think. not great like the 1.9 i got in april of 2005 on my first element but ok for the times.

car drives just like my other one but has different wheels and the audio controls on the steering wheel which is nice.

we really like the gray and blue interior of the arctic blue model.

good luck to all.

m
  • cperficiocperficio Member Posts: 1
    I purchased a new LX w MT at my local dealer for $16,500. It had zero miles on it. I've never driven an Element and I just LOVE the seating position...I could drive ALL day.
  • takytaky Member Posts: 13
    Go online and buy the carpet floor mat. They make the element looks even nicer and it helps reducing the interior noise. It is $112 at this online vendor

http://www.handa-accessories.com/elementint.html
  • takytaky Member Posts: 13
    The EX audio system plays MP3 and WMA CDs. Each CD can hold more than 200 songs. There would be no need to get a 6 discs changer.
    LX vs EX should be a no brainer. If one totals up all the benefits from overhead storage, to better stereo inc. XM, MP3 jack, to nicer wheels, to better rear seat quality, remote entry/lock, map lights, seatback pockets... All this and more for $1875.-- or less depending on your negotiations. For me the EX is a bargain in comparison to the LX features. This same assessment goes for the entire Honda line, I would never even consider an LX model over an EX, - ever!
    ...go look at honda.com and my last post...

And then go to a dealer to just poke around a bit...
    ...what color?? :-)
    Yep, they should... Where are you at? So Cal?
  • bigworld2000bigworld2000 Member Posts: 11
    I'm near Harrisburg, PA and have my eyes on an Kiwi Green 5-speed 2WD EX-P and received an offer for $20757 out-the-door ($19590 + $1167 in taxes). Before-taxes invoice is $19158, before-taxes MSRP is $20675.

Is this decent, or you think I can whittle them down a bit? Looking forward to my Element!
  • 1racefan1racefan Member Posts: 932
    " For me the EX is a bargain in comparison to the LX features."

I agree.

"This same assessment goes for the entire Honda line, I would never even consider an LX model over an EX, - ever! "

I agree.
  • smeadowssmeadows Member Posts: 1
    I am planning to buy an EX-P in the next few days. I was quoted an internet price of 19,900 + tax, tags, etc. I live in the Washington, DC area.
    Does that seem reasonable? MSRP is 22.325. Still deciding on what color. Love kiwi but not sure if I will get tired of it over time...
    I got my EXP - (a 2wd manual) - $20000 out the door, or around 18800 + taxes. I ended up with the tangerine -- awesome color, but the green's cool too.
  • tterragtterrag Member Posts: 1
    I just now (today) purchased an '06 Ex-P AWD in Kiwi...

I was quoted $19,700 and after taxes/etc. it came to $21,577. 2.9% for 36 months.

I was pretty happy with the dealership (Northern California), but there was one thing that soured the experience a bit.

After I had agreed to the price and came in to sign papers and fill out the credit application, the finance person informed me that there was an additional $695 charge for the anti-theft system. The window sticker lists "Immobilizer Theft-Deterrent System" as a standard option. So, my question is, did they try to charge me $695 for something that I should have gotten for free? I have a call in to the dealership to ask, but I'd love to hear if anyone else knows about this one...

Thanks!
  • dhnsxdhnsx Member Posts: 5
    What's the average price everyon's payin' for Elements these days? thanks in advance!
  • theomegamantheomegaman Member Posts: 5
    Hey Car_Man.......we need a Lease thread for the Element!! Or am I the only one? If your are monitoring, thanx for the numbers on the CX-7

I'll need MF & Residual for...

06 EX-P
    MSRP: $22,325
    36 / 12K year
    Los Angeles

Thanks in advance!
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188
    Here you go:

Honda Element: Lease Questions

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• soulsssoulss Member Posts: 1
    Hello. I bought a '06 EX 2wd automatic silver with blue trim for $19,050.00 (MSRP=$20,975.00 Invoice=$19,556.00 OTD=$20,019.50 + $750.00 for 5 year 60,000 mile warranty)in NC. Does this sound like a good deal?
  • maulinrao1980maulinrao1980 Member Posts: 5
    I am Hunting for EX-P 4WD
    and two Dlr
    quoted me with 22.5-22.7
    19890 Invoice
    300 + reasonable Profit
    800 + installed option (tire lock and other blah blah)
    ----------
    +T&T
    -----------
    :shades:

I still think that I can bring him down by 1K
    I quated 21000 (Out of door) and the sales guy tried but could not make it.
    I am sure he will agree on 22000 Out of door but want to get little better because I am current grad and gonna pay hafty on APR 10+ :cry:
    as allways any suggetion is warmly wel comed
  • jfritschjfritsch Member Posts: 958
    I think tire locks are $35, so if the blah blah blah stuff is like pinstriping and fabric guard, replace 800 with less than 100, eliminate the 300, and get about 1000 off.

I would want $2500-3000 off MSRP of these vehicles as they have mediocre resale. Especially with 10% interest. Hit all the sales managers in your area the last few days or so of AUG.

--jjf

quoted me with 22.5-22.7
    19890 Invoice
    300 + reasonable Profit
    800 + installed option (tire lock and other blah blah)
    ----------
    Thanks JFRITSCH
    You mean I should stick to 21000$ (OR even less? ;) )
    the dealer quated Invoice Price is 600 less than what edmunds price is. this is what stops me from bringing edmunds in nagotiation.
    so far the best price i noticed in this thread is 217XX
    so I am thinking if i will get 21.5 with my choice of color i will close the deal.
    -------
    ALso my credit is not too great 650+/-5 My credit unions are asking 9.9 & 11.2 is it a good idea to check the rate with multiple sources like e-Loan and dealar financ or just stick to my credit union? because multiple hits on my record can bring it down further.
    I thought the msrp or an exp awd auto was 22800 with a invoice of 21300. Perhaps you have an manual in mind.

I have purchased many autos (most of them used fleet cars for my and others businesses and parts, but numerous new cars also and have also sold cars. I am not an expert on credit, but one national source, other than CU's may be desirable, as they are supposed to have the rep of being local and for the little guy, this may or may not be the case. Having the financing out of the dealers hands are a plus.

You'll find that the only true price that matters is ... Price. (with or without taxes for your state---OTD) Working 2 or 3 dealers probably won't do it. Especially by clicking on quick quotes from edmunds, cars.com etc. A Few dealerships in an area pay for exclusive rights for zip codes from these sites and your 2-3 quotes from these will many times be non competitive. (within 100 of each other) Better to use dealer locator from manufacturer site and use Faxes (2nd best emails) to get 15-20 +

I have run across two resources over the years that are useful to car buyers.

1) Braggs fighting chance package (34.00) (Most modern) buy it for your auto, read the market survey and fax as many sales managers in Dallas Fort worth and any other locality you would be willing to drive. Many use emails to internet managers or store managers but the Faxes (following instructions) seem to have a weeding out quality of the turkeys who don't really need to make a sale. You get about 50% response to your 15+ contacts. Easy to do with fax software, addressing them by name and personal fax # (if any) Bragg basically tells it like it is and :

-the fact that new cars are commodities and must be acquired like any commodity (Soybeans, Corn, Wheat etc)putting many managers in a competitive bidding situation, never setting foot in a place except for a test drive, and the winning few bidders.
    Walking into dealerships to negotiate the deal is a fools game. In the past and especially now.

- You have no way of knowing what the dealer's true cost is as the invoice has become a rather nominal figure in the last decade. Lotsa profit is in bonus money for meeting sales targets etc at the end of months/qtrs. Braggs method stresses trying 10=20+ dealers in an effort to find 1 or 2 standouts who will sell at a loss/low profit deal just to book a sale. make his numbers toward the end of the month .

-Spend some money on Amazon (may be updated) or save some at the library and eventually read the classic "Dont get taken every time" by Remar Sutton (1981) Been in the business and it is the most accurate description I have run across, excepting a few magazine articles. Also a fun read.

There you have it, for 34.00 and a library card you can learn more than 99% of new car purchasers 95% of salesmen themselves (there is a high washout rate and even I when I started years ago couldn't understand why the store would let go of some cars for a song and stubbornly hold out on others) This info will last you for life.

--jjf
    My Mistake. I missed to mention I am Looking at Automatic.
    I think auto exp is 22800 msrp. I believe this car wholesales for 16500 in a year. So I believe 3000 off wouldn't be giving it it away this late in the model year.

--jjf
    tterrag
    Congrats!
    hey is this auto or mannual?
    and you mean you finally paid 21577+ 695 ?
    I am also looking for Ex-p AWD auto Kiwi green.
    More than I would have spent but I don't have Element fever (anymore) :)

750 is rather pricey for 2 years extension of 1/2 the warranty (not Bumper-Bumper)? (the factory is 3/56 BB and 5/60 powertrain?)

In any event if it is hondacare (hopefully) D56 (no deductable) warranty it is available from myhondawarranty.com (Saccucci Honda) for $405 (plus a 25 certificate for honda extras or parts)

I Believe your hondacare warranty is cancellable within 60 days so go beat your dealer to refund 350, extend the warranty, just cancel and forgo the warranty or go to Sacucci -- internet.

If not hondacare obviously cancel it immediately (if possible) and possibly get hondacare from Sacucci. If you have 750 to spend look at 80 - 100k warranties available and more years extension than 2.

IMO 750-$405 is also expensive for 2 years of non power train warranty for just years 4 and 5. This may be even less as many will have 80000-100000 K miles by year 5. Add in the fact that the car may get totalled... or worse repoed (++++ does happen folks )

These warranties (even at Sacucci and other internet prices ) should be a poor investment for a honda. (In fact the insurance actuaries bet on it, even with the lower $ they pay for labor)

35-80000 miles should be the sweet spot for any car, and with honda you should be into outer space for reliability (after all, this is why we are coughing up $$ for a honda in the first place right?)

After the initial 35k break in almost any ext warranties can be almost pure profit for most car makers, this should especially be the case with honda.

Most of you should self insure. (esp with 3/36 and 5-60000 powertrain std.)

Just my 2B. (Y'all asked)-- Ive made all the stupid mistakes before to advise others.

--jjf

Hello. I bought a '06 EX 2wd automatic silver with blue trim for $19,050.00 (MSRP=$20,975.00 Invoice=$19,556.00 OTD=$20,019.50 + $750.00 for 5 year 60,000 mile warranty)in NC. Does this sound like a good deal
    :shades:
    Hi all
    I finally joined the "E" Club and closed the deal at 20485+ T&T(6.25 in Tx ) for
    EXP 4WD Auto Kiwi green
    I know I paid 500 over but I was tired negotiating with Chinese Manager and Sales guy.
    I just gave up and closed the deal I did not had option to go to any other dealer in Dallas because no one else had Kiwi Green color and swap would have added its 100 or 200 extra on it.
    Big thanks to JJF for giving me courage to stick to my price.
    My own experience at Lute Riley Honda Richardson did not ended up good. The whole place was like a big circus place and as soon as they know you are a big bargain customer everyone starts behaving differently. The manager took 10 minutes to decide weather to throw front window tinting for free or not even after I told him that I know it costs him <60$ I personally liked Rusty Wallis Dallas. I will suggest everyone to try them first.

Unfortunately I will get my car tomorrow because I changed my financing co y&#146;day and need to finish paper work.
  • my07elementmy07element Member Posts: 1
    Test drove an element last week. Had a blast! It'll be my first honda. After unsucessfully trying to locate an 06 AWD Manual or an EX 2wd Manual or automatic, I ordered an 07 Element LX AWD manual for $18000 ($19200 after all taxes, title, doc fee, etc)($17500 after trade). I'm hoping it was a good deal since, I was not able to find an invoice price. Anyway, it will be here between 11th and 15th of this month. The only upgrade (besides stereo), I'm wanting to do is swap the wheels for the alloys. I might see about them adding it into the cost of the vehicle (hoping I can get a credit for old wheels and dealer discount for alloys). Anyone know if they normally do this? I'm in the Raleigh NC area.
  • tirvingtirving Member Posts: 2
    Hi. New to this. Just bought an 06 EX AWD Auto Silver Metallic. Used Edmunds to get 4 quotes in my area (Riverside, CA). Closest dealer was highest at $20300. Cheapest was 35 miles away at $19300. Also tried Costco's pricing - their dealer was the one that gave the cheapest via Edmunds. Spoke with dealer's Costco salesman, made appt., drove 35 mi. through heavy rush hour traffic. Meet salesman and he says, "Oops - we don't have your vehicle." Clod. Called 2nd cheapest dealer ($19500) who also doesn't have the vehicle. We go home. Called closest dealer (highest bid), told him I would buy it for $19300 - he counters for $19500. Deal! Plus, got Honda's 2.9% financing. Happy! Love the Element. :)
  • karick1karick1 Member Posts: 2
    Bigworld2000

Could your let me know which dealer you bought from? I am in OC and looking to buy an Element. Thanks!
  • tirvingtirving Member Posts: 2
    Riverside Honda. Their initial response to my Edmunds request for quotes was the highest. After wasting time with the lower bidders (Rock Honda & Spreen Honda) who didn't have the vehicle, I told them that I wanted to buy from my local dealer, but they were too high, that I had a quote for $19300. They countered with $19500. I took it. Purchase process was smoothe. Dealt with the internet/fleet sales guy. Got Honda's 2.9 % financing.
  • karick1karick1 Member Posts: 2
    Thank you so much for the information and quick reply. I'll give them a try.
    Jones Honda in Lancaster. Normally their prices are pretty high, but ask for the internet sales dept and she'll treat you right.

jim
  • ramohioramohio Member Posts: 15
    that is a great price!!
  • coleboycoleboy Member Posts: 13
    A CT. dealer quoted me $20,872 plus tax,etc. for this model. Is this a good price?
  • tslbmwtslbmw Member Posts: 172
    I just purchased a silver 07 SC on Oct 1 (first one the dealership had received) and was only able to get $500 off the sticker, $23,590 + TTT (and this was my 3rd Element from this dealership). I really dig the styling of the SC (18 inch wheels, interior, body color bumpers, projector style headlights, etc) and I love the new 5 speed auto (much peppier than the old 4 speed). I have yet to see another SC on the road yet. Anybody else purchased one yet? If so, were you able to do better than I did (pricewise)?
    ...ts-ts-ts... By the time you are done with the alloys and the stereo upgrade you could have gotten the EX ready to go. You will still have an LX with all the other LX shortcomings, such as cheap seats in the rear.....
  • mrjohnsmith99mrjohnsmith99 Member Posts: 6
    Has anyone heard anything about the 2008 redesign? Do you think now that the CRV has become more car-like, Honda will make the Element a little more truck-like to further distinguish the two vehicles? I apologize if there is already 2008 Element discussion somewhere else - if so, I haven't come across it yet.
  • cincygilligancincygilligan Member Posts: 3
    Best I've found is $500 off MSRP. Anyone finding better pricing? Edmonds does not list Invoice for the SC yet. My guess for the automatic, with destination is in the $22,250 range based on MSRP of $24,090...does that seem about right?
  • cincygilligancincygilligan Member Posts: 3
    E-bay has a Georgia based deal selling a new SC for $22,735?
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2007-Honda-Element-SC-2WD-Great-Styling-and-Versi- tile_W0QQitemZ190050494724QQihZ009QQcategoryZ80742QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
    Has anyone found an actual dealer selling at this level?
This discussion has been closed.