Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Element Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• ghuletghulet Member Posts: 2,564
    I've had that happen a few times, explaining over the phone that I WANT a manual transmission and will not consider an automatic, their inventory sheet says they have one or two, only to arrive to a lot with only automatics. Now, I usually politely ask the person on the phone to physically go out to the lot, find the one or two units with stick shift and call me back with confirmation.
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    Well, I have to say, I've sold quite a few Elements and have demonstrated a lot of them and I, too have never heard of the speedometer problem.

But, then, I hear something new evey day it seems.

And I'm surprised living in L.A. (I'm from there) that you would want a five speed with all the traffic. Consider the resale on these down the road. They are a hard sell used.

And, hosebunny...it's true, they don't sell very well. It's pathetic a dealer would lie about having them in stock when they don't.

If you've driven a 2WD five speed, the 4WD won't drive any differently.
  • parkyparky Member Posts: 20
    Living in CT. Element EX AWD Auto $20,310, Lifetime Oil Changes(value $600-$1200!! no acessories or extras. I keep my vehicles for a while. Have an 1994 ranger 3.0 2wd w/ 184k miles.
    Any feedback?
  • meinradmeinrad Member Posts: 820
  • zenzikorazenzikora Member Posts: 64
    good price. in my area they are overstocked on those AWD auto's though, so if you see a lot of them around, you might try to talk him down a little bit more, but I doubt he'll budge much. ..
  • hondasellertxhondasellertx Member Posts: 35
    With $1000 off sticker and all the oil changes that's certainly a fair deal. You could probably do a little better and the salesman could go home with less money but what you are quoting is fair to everyone.
    Thanks for the quick feed back!! Had them deduct the etching fee. It was printed in the bill of sale, so they were trying to lump it in. I always rerun their numbers. Spent alot of time neog. a 00 jetta gls trade in, so I think it was an ok deal. the market is flooded w/ 99-01 jetta's. My local online had about 500 for sale. I'll keep everyone posted on long term reviews.
    Thank you.
  • losangelesgurllosangelesgurl Member Posts: 18
    Yes, I know, I hear it all the time. Everyone is surprised I want a manual transmission, being in L. A. with the traffic. But the fact is, I do a lot of hiking, backpacking, etc., for fun, and as soon as you get out of L. A., there are no worries with the manual transmission factor. Plus, I work as a self-employed massage therapist, and am rarely in "rush hour" traffic anyway. I set my own hours and I intentionally avoid the bad traffic times. I also like to drive, and I feel a distinct difference in the way the automatic versus the manual drive. (IMO, the automatic is sluggish, especially going up hill with a/c on and four people in the car.) By the way, do you have any connections here? :) I have been working with Power Honda in Valencia, and am quite happy with them, and I was working with Woodland Hills Honda til I caught them in lies, and decided I'd rather not deal with slimey salesmen who lie just to make a sale. Thanks in advance, anyone who comments. :)
    Also, the resale thing isn't a factor with me. I tend to keep cars a long time. I have a 1990 Honda Civic hatchback now, and it stillllll drives like a dream, and has had no problems at all. The main reason I'm buying a new car is because I think I am scaring my new clients when I pull into their driveways in Beverly Hills and Thousand Oaks with a car that looks, well, like you-know-what. But it sure drives fantastically to this day!
  • bigkahunaflbigkahunafl Member Posts: 128
    losangelsgurl, So you found away around the gauge problem?
    Hey there, kahuna. Not really found a way around it, other than to stick a pillow under me, or drive with the wheel all the way (and uncomfortably) up. It doesn't thrill me at all. I can't believe such a huge error was made (well, in my opinion it's a huge error) in the design of this car. I guess the designers were all either really short or really tall. :) I still am unsure about this car because of this. What a drag. :(
    I wish I could offer some advice. Have you sat in more then one E? I'm just shooting in the dark, but maybe that one vehicle has something different about the seat.
    Hi, kahuna. Yep, sat in many an E. I will go back in a few days and give the salesguy another shot. He called and said he is "sure" he has a way around it. We'll see. I think he just wants me there, because unless I am there, there's no way to sell me a car. But anyway, I sure am sick of looking at cars. :-) I really thought I was done when I found the Element.
    Good luck, I hope he can get you comfortable into an E.
  • kit71111kit71111 Member Posts: 3
    Is an Element EX AWD Auto w/ssrs for 19,300 a good deal?
    Yes, EX AWD Auto $19,300 is a great deal. I paid $20,300. I just recv another quote after the fact for $19,900.
  • frailflowerfrailflower Member Posts: 3
    Hi,I'm wondering if eveyone's posted costs include destination charges or not? I've finally got an offer in the ranges discussed here ($18,610 for 2003 4WD EX 5 speed) but not sure if that should include dest. charges or if those will be in addition to the quote (I want to get as good as deal as ya'll!) I know TT&L are always extra. I really don't want to pay $460-490 extra (I don't pay a dept.store for shipping cost of the blouse I buy from them!) Thanks!
  • kit71111kit71111 Member Posts: 3
    my Element EX AWD Auto w/ssrs does include destination charges.
    In CT, my prices included destination and etching $199. My dealer had this built into their bill, so I told them I was not paying for it. They deducted from the price of the vehicle. So my price paid was $20,100, and also recv a price afterwards of $19,900 from another dealer. I also installed the following items: the keyless for $106, mats $100 list vs. $140 retail, mud flaps $65, window visor $62, seat bungess $10 ea vs $15. I ordered accessories from hondacuraworld.com. I WOULD NOT PAY OVER INVOICE FOR A 2003 NOW!! There are two many of them on the lots in my area. Why wait for an 04. you can save more on the 03 and install the acc. yourself.
    So far I and dealers can find only 8 of the 2003 AWD EX 5 speed in all of TX (and TX is one BIG state). One dealer is looking at pulling one in from out of state, (my guess is from OK). After talking with dealers for a week, I really am beginning to believe there are *not* that many out there any more. 2WD manual yes, 4WD auto yes, but not 4WD manual. Best quote I've got so far is 18,710 but I don't know if that includes dest. One dealer has gotten really disgusted with me over my questions about dest. charges (no, I'm not working with him any longer; also tried to sell me an automatic or a 2004). So just wondered how many of you were able to get rid of the dest. charges. I am going to have to pay for the dealer to "get" the car for me but that's included in the 18,710. What's ya'lls take on this? Thanks.
    Also we want a roof rack. Is that an easy item to take to my regular mechanic and have installed? That will be cheaper than the dealer doing it?
    Instructions for install:
    https://hondacuraworld.hostasaurus.com/Merchant2/instructions/ele- ment/roofrack.pdf

Price: $198.00
    It appears to be a very simple install for a do it yourselfer. Depends on your mechanical ability.
    Are paid by the dealers who pass them along to the customers. This isn't something that can be "thrown in".

All manufactures charge these.
    Are the amounts basically the same for the same vehicle?
    For Hondas, yes. the destination charge is the same for all models shipped to all locations.

I wish they wouldn't seperate it on the sticker.
  • akherbakherb Member Posts: 2
    Hi all! I've finally come to my senses and really would like to get a 2003 Element. This will be my commuter and knock-around the woods car. I live in NW Ohio and possibly will be transferred to Alaska next year, and was wondering if anyone has had their E in the snow/ice?

Also, any locations on a good deal in Ohio/Indiana/Michigan?

Thanks

akherb
  • bareybarey Member Posts: 1
    I was unable to get this info on the Edmund's website. Does anyone know how to get it?
  • akherbakherb Member Posts: 2
    My best price in NW Ohio for an EX, AWD 5 Speed was 19,100 out the door. Is that a good price?
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    I had no trouble pulling up figures for the Element in True Cost to Own ratings at Edmunds. Did you go with "new" or "used?"

tidester, host
  • crcoxecrcoxe Member Posts: 72
    but I got an '03 Element EX 4WD auto. for $18,900 this weekend. That figure includes destination/freight charges ($460, I think), so the real number was actually around 18.4 or 18.5. I think I was in the right place at the right time. It was the last sales day of the month, and the '04s will be on the lot in a few weeks. Perhaps the planets were aligned also ... Whatever it was, I'm not complaining. I got the exact car I wanted - down to the color (orange), and didn't have to make any concessions along the way.

If anyone is curious, I'm in Baltimore, MD and bought at Brown's Honda in Glen Burnie.

While I'm here, I have to tip my hat to you folks at edmunds.com. If I hadn't done my research here, there is no way I could have negotiated the deal as successfully as I did. Kudos!
    I don't understand why the Element's Maintenance is much higher then that of the CR-V. Anyone care to share?
  • jeffray46jeffray46 Member Posts: 13
    I live in the NYC area. 2003 Elements are being advertised $1500 below MSRP. I walked into a dealer yesterday and was immediately offered $100 over list which was $1500 off MSRP. I smell an incentive program. Does anyone know if there is a dealer holdback or other Honda program going on. It is not my car buying experience that any dealer's initial offer is their best offer. Car quoted was a 2003 Silver EX Auto AWD. Sounded like they had several in inventory, Silver, Black, and Blue only.
    $100 over invoice, not list. Anyone know about a quiet Honda incentive program?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    We forwarded your maintenance costs question to the data people and they discovered that the Element data had changed (or their initial source was incorrect?). The Element had shorter service intervals in our database which affected the maintenance costs.

In any event, the Edmunds Maintenance Guide will be fixed soon (i.e., as soon as the holiday rush eases a bit <g>).

Thanks for noticing - great question and good catch!

Steve, Host
    Thanks Steve for the follow-up. I was just curious, didn't know if there was a problem with the Element that the CR-V did not have.
    See next discussion board but our friend CRCOXE says that we should be looking for 03s at or under invoice as dealers look to clear inventory for the 04s. The dealer in NY offered $100 over invoice as did a couple of local ads. You all know we can do better with a little effort.
  • allenbillsallenbills Member Posts: 2
    When is the 04 Element scheduled to be available to purchase? How much more for 04 base increase??
  • elementboyelementboy Member Posts: 11
    I'm buying an EX, AWD, Auto, w/ Side airbags for $18,750 + 45 doc fees, taxes, for $20,514 out the door. Is this a good deal? Color is shoreline mist. I live in the SF bay area. Thanks all in advance
  • zmanzman Member Posts: 200
    I'm looking at the Element EX AWD 5-speed. The price I got quoted in upstate NY recently was 19K and change. I was considering going to go push for $18,000 including destination (but not taxes/fees), but before I do, I want to check two things: (1) am I pushing too far? (2) is anything major changing for the '04 model?
    If the $18750 include destination, it seems real good for an automatic, BUT I'm on the East Coast; that may have some bearing on prices.
    I know for the 04, new features are std keyless entry ($106 and 5 min to install in the 03), and a passenger arm rest, and a darker blue color. There's also the LX line (btw the DX and EX). That's about all the new stuff I know.

There's good site that shows you how to install the keyless entry and a passenger side armrest.

I'm heading off to buy it today!
    I found this on a site:
    Invoice price is not what the dealer pays b/c they get rebates (e.g. I go to circuit city after thanksgiving sale to pay $10 for a case of CDs, then send in a rebate so its free).

Take the invoice price
    Subtract 2% of the Retail Price (dealer hold back)
    Subtract "floorplan fee" (honda builds this in so you can't find out what it is, but I'm guessing about $200)
    Subtract any factory to dealer incentives (cost me $7 to purchase a list of current ones, but element wasn't listed)
    Subtract and Factory to consumer incentives.

You can also subtract the destination, and doc fees, how else could they sell it to me at this price?

There is some $500 rebate listed in edmunds, but its for the dx model. I'm guessing it may apply to the other ones.

To get an idea of what to offer, add 2%-5% for their profit.

Don't buy anything else from the dealer (glazing/protective coat = scam, no extra warranties, no $300 keyless entry [buy it for $100 and it takes 5 min to install]).

DO NOT GET FINANCING THROUGH THEM!!!!

I did two rounds of emailing to get $18750, and I made sure the out the door prices. Even though a dealer is still saying he'll beat this by $100, I don't trust him. My credit union is giving me a 36 mo 3.6% rate.

I spent about a week researching prices, 3 days test driving, 24+ hours on the internet, and talked to a bunch of older and wiser people. the best interenet site was carbuyingtips.com

enjoy

This is the price they pay
    Interesting info you posted. Is it Honda specific? On a simple basis, getting the dealers in CA to offer at Edmunds invoice is pretty good. In NY, they advertise $100 above invoice. I got the same offer walking into a random dealer. So, at the end of the model year, we should be able to get below invoice. If Edmund is right about the DX $500 incentive, there is every reason to expect that below invoice for a DX. Thanks JG.
    Good info you posted. Boy, there are a whole host of loopholes in this process. I'm going in with a check already written out, ready to sign; let's see what the NY folks do with that. Good luck to you in your trip to the dealer in CA.
  • scottdudescottdude Member Posts: 177
    Are you sure the new 04 blue is darker? I thought it was lighter than the 03.

I wish they'd bring back that bright blue that was on the previous gen CRV a few years ago.
    I went in with a check from my credit union for the amount they quoted out the door: $20,514.56. The whole process took about 45 min. They handed me over to the finance guy; no real problems, but I did cause alittle touble b/c I wanted him to put zeros in the odometer readings, not leave them blank (when I went in a few days ago, I wouldn't sign the form to test drive the car, instead insisting that someone test drove with me; I also wouldn't put a deposit because the form they wanted me to sign was the DMV bill of sale form). He tried to sell me some extras, like lo jack or warranties, but I said no. I paid nothing higher, and my check was made out for that particular vin only.

Anyhow, I'm planning on installing the keyless entry, approx $107 shipped and it takes only 5 mins. My salesman did pitch that acceessory again to me before I left, but I just smiled and said no ($300, no thank you). Other than that, it took 45 min b/c I and my brother and a friend read through everything before signing; I didn't want to inadvertenly sign something to waive my rights if anything went wrong. I also took the yellow copies off myself and put them in the folder I brought along.

If I was a better negotiator, I could have probably had them toss in the keyless with the $18750 price, since it costs them less than $100 and other honda dealers will "beat any prie by $100". I could also have pressed the $45 documentation fee. I nenver did pay a destination fee of $460. Hope this helps everyone.
    Congratulations. My $18K gambit did not go so well for the '03 AWD EX 5-speed. But I'm going to be patient; the closer they get to the arrival of the 04's the more (I hope) they will be willing to negotiate.
  • tcrebbstcrebbs Member Posts: 1
    Where did you get your element?
    If you don't mind, you could email me at element@pettyvices.com

I'm in the Bay area too, looking to get an element (maybe even before the end of the month) and would love to know more.

Did you get any bids from around sacramento?
    It is a bit far north of us, but i hear you can get really good deals around there.
    I didn't really want a dealership that far away. I knew that it would be harder to "walk away" if things didn't go smoothly. Also, I expected to go to dublin at least 2 times; once to check out the car and get a firm price. At which point I left ot go to my credit union to get a check for the exact vehicle (check was only good for that VIN). When I went back, it wasn't to lower the price anymore (but I guess I should have tried), but just to fill out paperwork and make sure I only paid the quoted out the door price, and not a cent more. It also helped to give the check to a friend who when with me, who was reponsible for handing it over; this also stopped me from buying any thing else the dealership/finance office tried to offer me.

If you try sacramento, I would suggest renting a motel room for at least a nite. Use it as a "cooling off" period after you get an offer, and really be prepared if they don't have the car the next day because it was "sold" right after you declined "such an incredible deal". IF elements were such hot sellers, they wouldn't be selling below invoice. Also, they will tell you every model of the element is "hard to come by". You could be able to canvass the other dealerships without having to worry about having to drive home to the bay area. That $80 room (or less) could save you hundreds! It also helps to set an exact time limit you are willing to spend at a dealership (like 45 min or an hour) and tell them that. It makes them cut through the run arounds, and you actually look impatient and mentally are, even if you know you have time.

I hope this helps. Please let me know if it did or didn't!
    Your advise although well intentioned I'm sure will leave some would be buyers carless.

There is no "flooring charge" for one thing.

What determines pricing on Elements or any other car for that matter is the current MARKET on them.

These aren't exactly distressed merchandise.
This discussion has been closed.