Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

MINI Cooper Prices Paid

Comments

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,933
    No need. You are allowed to post a dealership name right here on Edmunds. Just not salesperson, which of course doesn't matter because a salesperson doesn't call the shots. So dealership name is all someone needs.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• miniguy310miniguy310 Member Posts: 6
    Well First GBROZEN you seem like an angry person. And I would not want My Sales Person/Fleet Manager to deal with someone with the kind of attitude like yours. Thats why im not posting The dealership name where I bought My mini From. If someone is really interested they will email me like the ones who already did and order their vehicle referred by me. Good Luck.
  • michaellnomichaellno Member Posts: 4,120
    miniguy310 - I'm not sure how you got the impression that qbrozen (not g, by the way) was angry in post 1337.

The point was that the TOS here at Edmunds allows folks to post the name of the dealership, but not individual salesman or contact information.

Further, it is generally true at most dealerships that the salesperson doesn't make the final decision in setting the price of the vehicle - the sales manager does.

I'm glad you got a good deal on your car, and it seems silly to force people to contact you directly to get the name of the dealership where this deal was made, when you can just post the name of the dealership in your message.
  • oregonboyoregonboy Member Posts: 1,650
    If someone is really interested they will email me like the ones who already did and order their vehicle referred by me.

Pardon my cynicism, but that sounds almost as if you are expecting a referral fee. :surprise:
    Pardon my cynicism, but that sounds almost as if you are expecting a referral fee.

James, you make an excellent point. I know many dealers (including my old Saturn dealer) who have 'bird dog' referral fees.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,933
    edited February 2010
    As michaell pointed out, there is absolutely no anger in my post. I merely stated the facts of posting here on Edmunds without malice or alternative motive. My intent was to help you relay the valuable information.

However, your refusal to do so makes me suspicious that either you are looking for the referral fee, as stated above, or you are a MINI salesman fishing for leads.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

Area code 310 is West Los Angeles and South Bay (Torrance) area.

The plot thickens ....
  • gbrbb4lgbrbb4l Member Posts: 1
    Hello Everybody,

I am new to this forum but I just wanted to say how much I value the plethora of information available here. And just to add my two cents, I'm quite certain that miniguy310 is the salesman. It may have been more professional and tactful if he had not posed as a satisfied customer.

Cheers,
    Jack
  • miniguy310miniguy310 Member Posts: 6
    OMG Referral Fee??? Dont be silly, and me been a sales person?? did U not see the post I placed back in Dec when I order my car?? I was actually referred By someone here By Bonnie who bought a car there as well. And for your Info the dealership whom I bought my Mini from was South Bay Mini. I have nothing to hide and I was posting my experience because it was truly the best experience I ever had and the lowest price I got. Everyone who oder a car from South Bay Mini come out and post your experience because it was a couple of us who order our Mini Last Dec.
  • benzserviceguybenzserviceguy Member Posts: 96
    Here's the deal that is on the table, Please weigh in with your thoughts.

2010 Cooper Convert
    6 speed manual
    cold weather pak
    sports pak
    mirror caps in chrome (big whoop)
    comfort bluetooth & I pod/usb connection (arm rest w/ adapter)

MSRP 28,050
    Sales Price 26,800

Total drive off of $2K (includes acq fee+tags+tax+license+1st mo payment)
    12K/yr
    36 mo

362.64 base pay + 35.36 tax (SO. Cal 9.75%) = $398.00
  • mizpinkmmizpinkm Member Posts: 2
    Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum. I recently looking to buy a 2010 mini cooper S in laser blue. I'd like to get Premium package, sports package and cold weather package. I'm still thinking if I really need the convenience package. With the first 3 packages the MSRP price will be 27,000, and with all 4 packages the MSRP price will be 28,250.

Right now the deals are either 1.9% APR or 3.9% APR with free premium package. I'm afraid if I go with the free premium package they would not able to lower other prices. How should I negociate? (this is the first time i buy a brand new car)

If I live in Maryland, if I order from other states will that be possible?

Thanks a lot!
  • llbean2009llbean2009 Member Posts: 23
    I'm another one who purchased in December as a result of Bonnie's post. It's South Bay Mini & BMW. Price was amazing but service was marginal. At the end of the day it was the price that matters and no other dealer came close. We got the $700 over invoice as has been discussed here.
  • yuqinyuqin Member Posts: 1
    Does the price "700 over invoice" include tax+fees?
  • staggerwingstaggerwing Member Posts: 2
    I've just started to look at a 2010 Mini. The dealer told me that they are now running an promo where they will give you the highest option on the car free of charge.

I'm in Nashville where there is only one dealer. Can anyone tell me what type of discount or over invoice cost they have been able to negotiate with this free option program in place? I've never had to negotiate for a car with this type of promotion or lack of competition in the market.
  • miniesqminiesq Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased a 2010 Mini Cooper base model with the automatic. The dealership is Hassel MINI in Freeport, NY. My Motoring Advisor was very professional and provided great customer feedback and service. I was surprised to find out the gifts they give you when you get the car... I'll leave this as a surprise for prospective MINI buyers.

I picked it up last night... my brand spanking new horizon blue metallic Cooper. The sticker price was $23,250 with auto, dual-pane sunroof (awesome), automatic climate system, and cold weather package. I only added black sport stripes, chrome mirror caps, chrome exhaust tip, and rubber floor mats. I also traded in 03 Honda Accord EXL with 69,300 miles. My OTD price was $16,310.00. I was pretty amped about the price, considering that there is not much room for negotiating on these MINIs. I was given the option credit of $1250 for the automatic.

So far, 1st day has been great... really fun to drive. The only gripe I have is the stock stereo system. I want to upgrade but I hear the H/K system is not much of an upgrade for $750 and aftermkt systems are difficult to install. I guess I'll just have to motor along enjoying the sound of the engine.
  • psychoticgaspsychoticgas Member Posts: 5
    Does anyone know if any Mini dealers in Texas will offer anything under MSRP?
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,760
    MINI has a promotion going on right now... You can get one of three options for free, assuming your car has one of the options...

Automatic transmission
    Sport package
    Premium package...

So... about $1200-$1700 off, even if the dealership sticks to full-price..

I believe that promotion lasts through April.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• mamadadapaigemamadadapaige Member Posts: 35
    Was driven by a BMW executive. Very clean ... Looks brand new. Came with Cold Weather package and Premium Package. Sparkling Silver with Black Roof. Price was $18,900 and they gave me $14,200 for my Acura MDX with 78K miles on it (base model with dent in back, some rust on front and in so so condition ... I thought the trade in price was very fair). With taxes, paperwork and the difference I owed $5500.

Very happy with the purchase! I wanted one used and was very lucky to find one with low miles and in the color and with the options I wanted... particularly since most of them are manual and I needed an Automatic.
    Paying $500 over invoice for 2010 Mayfair + getting financing benefits offered through April. Should be here in a few weeks.
  • j1huynhj1huynh Member Posts: 28
    Hi,
    I am interested in getting a clubman. Can you let me know where you are located? I am in san jose, ca.
    Houston, TX
  • phy2cphy2c Member Posts: 1
    Hello All,

I just purchased a 2010 Mini Cooper S Automatic in Horizon Blue paint scheme in SoCal. I went with the base with no options except for the automatic. My price before tax+title was $22,750, putting my OTD price at almost exactly $25,000.
    It's been a blast to drive so far.
  • rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,192
    Now during our Motoring Madness Event, you can lease a 2010 MINI Cooper Hardtop or MINI Cooper Clubman for just $249 per month for 36 months*. Stop by, or give us a call to learn more about this and any other limited time Motoring Madness specials.
    2022 X3 M40i
  • emmamoonemmamoon Member Posts: 1
    We went the Portland Oregon Mini dealer yesterday. We couldn't find a Clubman S to our specifications so it was take one that wasn't exactly what we wanted and be able to take advantage of the option discount of $1575 OR order what we want without a discount. We are deciding on what to do. We were told there is really no negotiating on Minis especially on a special order. Anyone have any experience with this or any input? Based on what I've read here, it sounds like others have paid just over invoice. What's the trick?
  • mini222mini222 Member Posts: 4
    Hi! I am considering both Mini Cooper Clubman and Clubman S. As I think base Clubman is under power. Any comments?

I am in NYC area. Appreciate if you can share your price paid.

My preference is Pepper White, Automatic Transmission, Premium Package and Xenon. Do you think dealer can make a deal with invoice plus $300-$500??

Thanks in advance for your advise.
  • lola225lola225 Member Posts: 20
    Anyone know MINI's current lease money factor and residual value for a 36-month lease on a 2010 Cooper S with 10,000 miles per year for top credit tier ?

Thanks.
  • lola225lola225 Member Posts: 20
    How difficult is it to obtain the dealer's LEASE WORKSHEET ? I assume it's different than the Spec sheet? When I ask for it, I get the spec sheet and separate numbers for tax etc typed into an email. What does the Lease Worksheet contain and why do dealers seem reluctant to provide one?

Thanks.
  • bbarbacci5bbarbacci5 Member Posts: 1
    Just got this amazing job and I'll be making alot more $ and decided I'd like to buy a Mini. I currently have a Dodge Neon-nice little car, good on gas had it for 7yrs and 140,000 later its slowly starting to fall apart. Its been faithful but its time for a new 1. I'm the type of person that wants to save my pennies and buy with my hard earned cash. I'd like to keep a car as long as possible it just has to keep running..lol
    I'm hoping to save over the next 6mths-1yr and sell my car and buy a Cooper.
    I was also looking into a Toyota Yaris or Pruis due to similarities of mileage and style but their cheaper.

I'd really like to buy a mini, any thoughts?
    here is my stats:
    I live in PA..so we got snow
    Looking for a 2007 or newer.
    Knows how to drive a Manual but not the best at it? Manual or Auto?
    Is Maintenance a killer?
    Should I buy privately or a dealership?

Thx
  • docroxdocrox Member Posts: 12
    I would steer away from the stick shift. I have a new 2010 S with 3,600 miles and the clutch and flywheel went out. They told me it was "improper driving". I know how to drive a stick and after doing research now realize that others have been told the same thing.
    Mine handles fine in the snow.
    The clutch isn't under warranty as it is "driver error"! $3165 to fix but I am fighting it.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,418
    I would totally fight that. 3600 miles is not normal for a clutch & flywheel to burn out. Keep fighting. You'll win eventually.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• plektoplekto Member Posts: 3,738
    Wow. What gets me isn't that it wore out. It is that you actually paid that much to replace a $300 clutch.

http://www.jscspeed.com/catalog/SPEC_Staged_Clutch_Kits_for_02_06_Mini_Cooper_S-- 190-1.html

$300 and that's a racing clutch replacement that's much tougher than the original. Installing it is 300-400 in labor, tops. You were had if you actually paid that much.
  • dougwolfdougwolf Member Posts: 2
    What should I expect to pay for a 2010 Mini S that has a retail sticker of 32,000 but is a dealer demo with 15,000 miles on it? I'm in Southern California.
  • stepkingstepking Member Posts: 2
    edited July 2010
    I am ready to buy a 2010 Mini S Convertible in the Atlanta area. Can anybody give me some buying tips for this area? What can I expect to pay? Thanks.
  • plektoplekto Member Posts: 3,738
    edited July 2010
    http://www.carsdirect.com/build/options?zipcode=91107&acode=USC00MNC021A0&restor- - - e=false

Pasadena, CA. Cars Direct. You should pay around 22.5K *new* with no options, so unless that used Mini is gold plated. I'd skip the option packages and get individual items instead. Ignore the idiocy and stick to get the parts that improve handling and mechanical functionality.

But not everything is there - so let's go to the Mini Site:

What you want/don't want:
    + Color. $500. Any decent color seems to cost extra. So be it. I chose Horizon blue. :)
    + Chrome line exterior makes it look classy. $250.
    + White turn signals do as well. $100
    + Center armrest.
    + Heated Seats
    - skip the "leather" - it's not much better than the stock leatherette, to be honest. For $1800 I could get real leather put in at a local uphlolstery shop (I know of two - one in Glendale and one in Pasadena)
    + Color to match exterior/etc. If not an option, just get piano black as it goes well with the gray. ($0 with my color)

Option groups. Skip all of them.
    1 - Cold Weather - who needs folding side mirrors? Get the heated seats separately.
    2 - Convenience - Just get the ones you want individually.
    3 - Sport - skip entirely. Only the Traction Control is actually going to make a difference. The stock wheels are also already far in excess of what a car like this requires. 17 inch run-flat tires also are miserably expensive and rough-riding. In fact, I'd swap the run-flats out from day one for all-seasons.
    4 - Premium - I'd honestly get the climate control and premium sound by themselves and save a couple hundred dollars. The dual-pane is basically a terrarium and from the driver's seat you can't see out of it anyways unless you turn your head sideways. I'd say it was great for the passengers, but you can't expect anyone to actually use the rear seats on a Mini. If you want the real deal, just get a convertible instead.
    5 - Mayfair and Camden - 4K in useless bling.

Performance. Now onto the real important areas:
    + Manual. The automatic is horrendously expensive to fix and not very reliable, either. In a car this small and light, the manual is almost arcade-game easy and light. If I had to chose a car to learn/have as my first manual, this would be in the top 5.

**edit** No, really. Resale value also drops for automatics as enthusiasts want a sport-upgraded manual and the automatic is almost **5000** to fix when, not IF it breaks.

++ Traction Control and Sport suspension. This alone doubles the handling compared to tires alone. Best $700 you can spend on a Mini. This also makes it into a very desirable basic sport-tuner type car for resale value. ie - nobody who is serious about the car for tuning used will settle for one that doesn't have these options as a starting point. Even if it is ten years from now. The general rule is to always either buy max performance or absolute minimum to save pennnies. Rental stripper or highway punisher. Since you got the S, this is a no-brainer upgrade.

+ Rear fog light is a good addition.
    + Auto -dimming mirror is also nice.
    - Xenon/HID. Standard lights are just fine and blind other drivers on high a LOT less. And there is a less expensive and better option (see below)

Interior:
    ++The HK Premium Audio is a must.
    + Universal remote is also great to have in a car this small.
    - Bluetooth/USB is nice, but it's also horrendously and I mean idiotically expensive when you can get an aftermarket one for $150. (I get a whopping $850 for this and the handsfree phone prep!) That's more than the sport suspension and traction control!
    - Auto climate control. It's expensive, and in a car that's so small that you can touch the passenger window while driving, kind of silly.

Accessories:
    + Driving Lights. Very nice to have and TONS better than the HID lights.
    + Rubber floor mats for front, rear, and boot.
    + Map light (nice to have, IMO

+++ JCW Strut brace - Get this as well - nice handling improvement. If you want to upgrade the brakes(highly recommended!), DIY with some nice aftermarket Brembo or similar multi-piston calipers. This also is a fantastic improvement as OEM brakes are almost always merely adequate.

I get $27,413 in this example.

Going over to cars direct gets you about 27K - about a 1K savings.(roughly $27000 but that includes delivery of 700)
  • trekdrivertrekdriver Member Posts: 3
    Don't waste your time or money. I bought a brand new S in 2005, and a worthless 100,000 mile ext. warrenty. Ft. end parts worn out 55,000 mi. (not covered), A/C compressor 65,000 mi. (not covered) 2 cooling fan motors first one covered under 3yr. 36000 mi warrenty, 2nd one 400+ bucks. 93,000 mi clutch covered but they want to bang me 800.00 for a flywheel, I can buy 4 on line for that much. Stock run flat tires lucky to get 20,000 mi. Not covered unless you pound a nail into them, 325.00 ea. I was so happy when I bought that car, and I'll be so glad to get rid of it. It's just a hole to throw money into. Oh ya the battery blew up also, scared hell outta me, Same evening after having service, seems no one added water.
  • bennfinebennfine Member Posts: 10
    What a great informative post! Thanks so much!

I am in the market for a new mini hardtop and have some additional questions if you don't mind.

Basically, can one order any mini they want? I'm in Boston and the dealers have souped up minis on the lot. I simply want a bare bones mini hardtop with automatic; there appears to be a free automatic transmission deal going until the end of august. So can i go into a mini dealer and factory order my basic car, or do I need to suffer with whatever options the dealer has on his lot?

Regarding the automatic transmission problems, anyone interested in a used automatic mini should google about it; there are some very sad stories from mini owners from 2002-2006.

Cheers!
  • larvid1larvid1 Member Posts: 5
    Yes you can order the mini any way you want. I ordered mine, and it took about 3 1/2 weeks from time of order to time of delivery. Mini is such a customizeable car, i couldnt imagine just taking one from dealer stock, as half the fun is ordering the car to ones specification. I was able to negotiate $900 off list for a hardtop S. got the free transmission. car has been a lot of fun, and i highly recomend it. My car has a hot start stalling problem. On occassion, the car will stall when it it restarted after the engine has been warmed. for example if i drive somewhere, then come home, then go out again 10 mins later, the engine tends to stumble upon restart for about 1 sec, then runs smoothly. the dealer is working on a fix. I purchased mine from Habberstad, Long Island, NY. very happy with the dealership, and service department is superb! Other then that one minor problem, which im sure will be fixed soon, the cars suspension is very stiff on the highway. almost bone jarring over rough roads. I like a stiff suspension, but this car is seriously harsh. not so bad on local roads but at highway speeds..you feel it. It would not dissuade me from buying the car, as the firm ride translates to excellent handling. I purchased checkered roof decals and checkered side view mirrors. I highly recomend to all that you customize the look of your mini. its a real head turner with the decals. To all..enjoy the ride!
    I guess we have been lucky so far. We had a 2006 Cooper S Automatic and never had a single problem with transmission. Just came off lease and we replaced it with a 2010 Cooper S Mayfair Edition - yes lots of bells and whistles but it is a very, very nice ride and a major upgrade from our last one, which was pretty loaded. This one rides quite a bit smoother; would be smoother still if we replaced the run flats with regular inflatables, but probably won't. We took advantage of the April special which got us $1750 off the sticker + the dealer sold it to us at $500 over invoice - all told went from $33,500 to well under $30k + 3.9% financing. Took about 5 weeks from ordering to delivery. Try contacting dealers via internet and they are far more likely to give you a better price than a walk in. We dealt with Mini of the Woodlands near Houston and had an excellent experience. David
  • bennfinebennfine Member Posts: 10
    Thanks to the above two helpful posts! Might actually order one this week.

One more question-an alarm is a $500 option; is it worth it or better to go aftermarket?

Thanks!
  • jcihakjcihak Member Posts: 60
    My wife and I have a 2009 Civic we were considering trading in for a Mini because of the fun-to-drive factor. We drove a convertible and a clubman S. I agree that they both handled better than the Civic and the engine (especially the turbo) are more fun. The problem was with the controls. Not even the salesperson could figure out how to use the radio. The turn signals, window switches and almost everything else were very distracting from the driving experience - and the felt cheap, even compared to my Civic. Room was very cramped. Even the clubman was more cramped than my Civic.

While the car was fun to drive, it felt cheap and I could tell it would not be fun to live with. I can see why it rates so low with JD Powers surveys.
  • aafflyeraafflyer Member Posts: 7
    Enjoy your Civic then.

Me, I'm loving my 2009 Mini Cooper S.

First, I think you had a terrible sales person. Not knowing how to use the radio is very bad. The controls are actually not difficult at all. I don't know how window switches can be distracting to a driving experience, but to each their own.

The turn signals work a little differently, but they are the same logic used by BMW, and take a day at most to master.

I've had my car for almost two years, and it still puts a smile on my face every time I get in.

Charlie
    You're right. The salesperson was incompetent. The entire sales experience was a bad experience. After promising a great price, they offered me MSRP + a processing fee + $200 for nitrogen in the tires which they said they could not take out!

For those still willing to buy a Mini, they are dealing because they are stuck with too many 2009s. But, be careful and negotiate (unless you have nothing better to do with your money).

My experience is to expect $2000 - $2500 off MSRP (they still make a big profit) if you are willing to shop around
  • stepkingstepking Member Posts: 2
    I bought a 2010 Mini Convertible from Global Mini in the Atlanta area and couldnt have had a better experience. I received $3000 off of retail and my salesperson was wonderful. Have 1500 miles and love this car. First car I have loved in a long time. Great fun to drive.
    This is a great time to buy a convertible! Mini of Alexandria in VA had 47 in stock last I checked.
  • merckxmerckx Member Posts: 565
    Indeed! We have 40 here in Virginia Beach.
  • scott31scott31 Member Posts: 292
    If anyone is still looking for a 2010 Mini Cooper Convertible, you should be able to get $6300 off retail. I was quoted this from 2 different dealers in the area.

Best of luck!
  • plugin5seaterplugin5seater Member Posts: 3
    Scott, yes we are, where were you seeing the 6300? We are only at about 4800 here in Washington state for a 2010 Cooper S convertible. Out the door at 29000.
  • stomp32stomp32 Member Posts: 38
    My wife just got a 2011 S Convertible from East Bay Mini in Pleasanton, CA at the end of October. We were initially looking for a 2010 model but it was impossible to find the color/options combo that she wanted.

East Bay had exactly what we were looking for: Eclipse Gray, Auto, Heated Seats and Bluetooth for an MSRP of $31,300. We made an offer of 29k and after one counter by the dealer, we stood firm and they accepted. Paid about $700 over invoice, and I felt that we probably could have gotten a little more off, but the whole process was so pressure and hassle free that it wasn't worth it to us to grind it out for a few hundred dollars more. All in all, it was the most, if not only, enjoyable car buying experience we've ever had.

On the few 2010's they had left they were discounting around $4,500 right off the bat.
  • scott31scott31 Member Posts: 292
    Several dealers here in the Washington DC metro area
  • oldseadogoldseadog Member Posts: 1
    We're buying a 2011 Cooper Hardtop. I see the extended warranty online at MiniUSA for $1375 and the dealer is telling me it's ~$1600, that the $1375 is only available if you order it with the car. That doesn't make sense. Anyone have similar experience? Thanks