Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Kia Sorento Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• karchkarch Member Posts: 45
    That's plenty of info for me...thank you.
  • tcasolotcasolo Member Posts: 1
    Bought a EX V6 AWD, Limited Package, Premium Package #2, paid $700 below invoice, before any rebates were applied. Qualified for $1500 competitive rebate, $500 Cleveland, OH car show rebate, $500 KMF rebate. Opted to not use the $1000 base rebate and instead used the 1.9% KMF rate for 60 months.
    Thanks for the info. I test drove both SX and EX V6 AWD today. I am not ready to buy yet, waiting until April/May, but the dealer was nowhere near what I will pay, even for a lease.
  • ee74ee74 Member Posts: 13
    I am looking for an LX 2WD 4 Cylinder with the Convenience Package and the 3rd Row seat. I really just want the 3rd row seat, but of course you have to get the convenience package to get it. Anyway, the best quote I have received so far is $21941, which includes the $1000 rebate and a $1000 competitive bonus. Does this sound like a good deal? It seems in the ballpark for what I was expecting, but just wondering if anyone thinks I can do much better. Thanks.
  • connoroh75connoroh75 Member Posts: 3
    I see dealers in Central Ohio offering UP TO $6000 off a Sorento, and the ads say the buyer must qualify for owner loyalty OR (not BOTH) competitor bonus.

I'm considering a V6 ($1500 competitor bonus), and would use the 1.9%, 48 mos., w/ $500 rebate. That would be $2k off msrp. An additional $4k off the msrp seems unlikely, even for the fully-loaded SX, doesn't it?

Any thoughts--or better yet, anyone with personal experience--on this $6k discount, and what particular shenanigans are involved to actually get it?

Thanks!
  • rkennrkenn Member Posts: 9
    CORRECTION-- I got my 2011 Sorento EX 6 cyl, with Convenience package 2 and 3rd row seats. Also got rear cargo net and cargo cover for 24,596 out the door with everything. It is NOT a FWD. Invoice was 32,149. Got a competitors rebate of $1500, another rebate for $1000, 4200.for a trade in, and 1000 for not using Kia financing. With all taxes and fees, I paid $24,596
  • mtnman1mtnman1 Member Posts: 431
    Not unlikely since I know Crown Kia in Dublin is advertising $2000 below invoice and a $1500 competitive Rebate. The only thing about Ohio is that we have to pay Sales Tax before Rebate, so it won't be $6000 straight off the advertised MSRP. I had a very pleasant experience buying my Kia Sorento V6 EX at Crown, but at the time the best anyone would do was $1000 below invoice and $1000 competitive rebate. I wish I would have known that the SX was coming out shortly after I bought mine. Not sure if Kia is hurting the vehicle's resale value by marking them down so much? Ford did that to the Explorer and Mountaineer back in 2004 with $3500 rebates and great offers. Our Mountaineer's resale really came back in 2010, but it would have been tough if you were in the market to trade in one or sell them back then and the couple of years following.
    2012 Highlander Limited AWD V6 and 2015 Ford Fusion Hybrid SE
  • fishbones80fishbones80 Member Posts: 1
    Just bought a 2011 Sorento SX Bright Silver FWD from a Chicago dealer. I think the deal was a good one. MSRP for the vehicle was 33,200. We negotiated to 27,800, which I think was a good deal, not the best, but good. Rebate of $2500 was applied. What do you all think, could I have done better?
  • macsensemacsense Member Posts: 2
    I'm looking at a 2011 Sorento SX FWD in dark cherry with no sun roof. It is still at the dealer but has approx. 900 miles on it. They are asking 27k. Is this worthy of a second look or do you think I can get them lower? Thank you.
  • apsonapson Member Posts: 4
    Website for my zip (95678) has lease special for a 2011 model #72222 listed with $2999 due at signing and $239/mo. Went to Kia dealer and got a very conspicuous eye-roll from a "manager" and was sent outside to "wait for a salesman" -- waited 10 minutes and left.

Do these deals actually exist and, if not, why is Kia allowed to advertise them? My credit score is in the upper 700 range. Is there a good way to approach these guys to get this advertised price?
  • csuf1csuf1 Member Posts: 8
    If you have another Kia dealer nearby, call them & ask them, if they have the advertised deal.

Here in the O.C. of California, Kia Depot advertised unbelievable purchase deals. So I went in w/cash and they kept giving me the runaround. When I offered the full purchase price advertised, they kept me waiting for ever. So I walked into the managers office & asked what was taking so long. They then jacked up the price & tried to get me to finance. I said absolutely not, went to another dealer and got what I wanted.

Good luck. I love my Sorento.
  • karey43karey43 Member Posts: 2
    Having some trouble getting my 2011 sorento. Ideally I want an l4 EX(not V6) with some dealer-installed options, but considering an EX with the premium package if that's too difficult. Went through the listed inventories at the Kia dealers in my area, saw a base EX, requested an internet price, MSRP was 25,553 but with the various rebates I was offered 21,960. I went in for an appointment but I didn't qualify for most of the discounts(not military or previous kia owner) and so they wanted me to buy this thing at practically the full MSRP. Who the hell buys a car at MSRP? Additionally the manager was like, 'an EX for $22k? Where did you hear of such a thing?' Uh, from you, dbag. This wasn't an unsolicited email ad, this was what I was quoted by their store, when I asked about a specific car, it had a VIN# in their inventory. Anyway, The best they would offer me was over $29k out the door on an l4 EX with premium package. MSRP on that combo was 27,100. Is that the best I can hope for? They would not negotiate on the price of the car at all, the only thing they would offer was rebates off the MSRP if I qualified. They weren't dropping the price in order to make the quote match, or anything of the sort. Have my own financing, didn't get any offer of a rebate for that, no competitive bonus because neither of the cars I currently drive qualified either they said. They also offered a crap lease deal, $400 a month, which seems pointless as the monthly payment on the loan I got pre approved is $350 a month.
    I wouldn't even bother talking to them again. I was around $2700 below msrp, less rebates, for a loaded EX V6 AWD.

They want you to finance through them, so don't tell them you will finance elsewhere until the end.

Just my 2 cents.
  • prasadpprasadp Member Posts: 14
    Did you try truecar.com? call the dealer before you go there. good luck.
    Hopefully, this dealer was not Kia Depot because they are SCAM artists. Check w/other dealers fleet managers only, if you want the lowest price.
    Yes, Kia Depot was not very impressive out here, to say the least.
  • karey43karey43 Member Posts: 2
    Alright, combination of truecar and talking to other nearby dealers worked out, got an even more loaded car for less out the door than the last dealer wanted. Very happy now with my new Sorento.
  • boomer28boomer28 Member Posts: 2
    Hello - new to this forum. There is some very useful information in here - thanks to all for sharing your experiences. I am in the market for a new SUV, and like many others, Kia was not on the original list of cars to consider. After seeing a few out on the road as well as doing quite a bit of research, it is now on a very short list of cars that I am considering purchasing.

I stopped by my local Kia dealer today to test drive an EX V6 FWD and was really impressed. Options included on it were premium 2 package (sunroof, roof rails, backup camera, leather seats) plus a few other add ons including side rails, cargo cover, cargo net, and wheel locks. Sticker price on it was about $32k, I was offered $27.5 which included $2500 in rebates. I said I would think about it, and left thinking it was a pretty good deal until I came on here and saw some more expensive EX and SX versions being sold at similar rates.

Do you think this is a fair price? I am under the impression that I can do better here.
  • rkennrkenn Member Posts: 9
    It sounds fair to me based on sticker. Go on Truecar.com and price it out for comparison.
  • rhodeislandrhodeisland Member Posts: 2
    i got my sorento with convenience package,rear bumper portector,1st/2nd row carpeted floor mats,and cargo tray for 24,851 which included the $1000 dollar rebate and all doc fees.dealers cost on the car was 23,882 which included the 245 regional ad fee and the 795 dollar destination fee.they made a profit of $969
  • boomer28boomer28 Member Posts: 2
    That is a good deal. I'm currently at $28,000 for the exact same model and options and trying to haggle my way down to that somewhere in that range. Or put another way, I am at $1,000 below invoice, before rebates and incentives ($1,000 customer cash and $1,500 competitor discount), zero down and no trade. Looking forward to driving my new Kia!
  • rhodeislandrhodeisland Member Posts: 2
    i don't think we are talking about the same model.the MSRP for my sorento was 26,345 before any rebates.28,000. sounds like your looking at a v6 or EX model.here what i do.take the total invoice and multiply by .03.this is the holdback.subtract the holdback and add the destination fee and advertising fee for your final price..(total invoice x .03=holdback,total invoice - holdback=dealers cost,dealers cost x .03=dealer profit...add dealers cost + dealer profit+ destination fee + advertising fee= customers cost.download this xl sheet for free to see your true cost

http://www.carbuyingtips.com/car1.htm
  • antons911antons911 Member Posts: 66
    I was offered 21500 with Costco membership discount.
    But decided to wait for summer til the 2012 come out, 2011 will have larger discounts then.
    I gave up on Kia, and just got a Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo. Good luck to all.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    A reporter would like to talk with someone who recently traded in a Honda or Toyota for a Hyundai, Kia, Ford or Chevy. Please email pr@edmunds.com by Friday, June 3, 2011 with your daytime contact information, the car models involved and a few words about your decision.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• andy2812andy2812 Member Posts: 73
    Hi Car Man,

Can you please let me know what the residual and money factor is on the Sorento LX V6 w AWD for a 36 month lease and 12k miles per year?

Thanks
  • gopoohgogopoohgo Member Posts: 1
    Hi there long time lurker of this thread.

Finally pulled the trigger on a 2011 EX V6 AWD with Premium 2, sidesteps, rear bumper cover.

MSRP $33.5K, price before sales tax, title, etc. was $28.1K. Qualified for the $1500 competitive bonus, $1000 rebate, and $500 with 0.9% 3 year Kia Finance.

Thanks for everyone's experiences!
  • np_louisvillenp_louisville Member Posts: 1
    We are interested in buying a 2012 Kia Sorento LX with convenience package or a base EX. How do I find out the inventory price? The MSRP is listed on the KIA website at $25,600 which inlcudes the package and destination fee. I have no idea how low I can negotiate the price.
  • surbassurbas Member Posts: 2
    If I finance through Kia Motors, looks like I can get $1000 cash back and $1000 bonus cash back for all Sorento models. There's also a $500 competive bonus cash available. I see a lot of dealers trying to claim you get up to $3000 in rebates. I don't qualify for the Military or Owner Loyalty. How many rebates will they let you use? Any tips on how to get the most bonus money I can? Do these rebates apply to Lease and Buy or only Buy?

Scott
  • rrbhokiesrrbhokies Member Posts: 108
    Pulled the trigger on a 2012 Sorento 2WD LX with floor mats and cargo tray. MSRP was $24,255. Was able to negotiate $1,555 off MSRP. Then the rebates: $1,000 customer cash and $500 competitive rebate. Negotiated price was $21,200 + Tax and Tags. Also got special Kia financing rate of 3.9% for 72 months. Highly recommend Parsons Kia in Winchester Virginia. Beat the prices of any of the D.C. area dealers.
    I think all of the rebates can be combined. I got the $1,000 cash back and $500 competitive bonus. I didn't qualify for the Military Bonus or the New Graduate bonus. There is also a $500 Kia finance bonus, but you cannot combine it with the Special Financing Rates. You either take the cash or get the rate. For me, I opted for the 3.9% financing for 72 months which will save me more than $500 over the life of the loan.

Advertising is deceptive. I saw a 2012 Sorento advertised for $18,997 recently, but that didn't include $800 freight, a dealer added $495 appearance package, and a dealer added $795 Paint and Fabric protection package that they added to the advertised stock vehicle. It also included every single rebate totaling $3K. In the end, if you back everything out, it came to just over $24K, which was almost the exact MSRP on the window sticker.
    I paid that for my 2011 in June of 2010 and mine has backup camera, heated front seats, white pearl metallic paint, roof rack, fog lamps, mats, cargo tray and cargo net, etc. I love it. 15,000+ miles and no problems. I talked my sister into buying the same one, but hers came w/3rd row seat. She paid more.
    Hope you enjoy it as much as I have.
  • surbassurbas Member Posts: 2
    I was offered $25,585 (not including the $1500 rebate) for a 2012 Sorento FWD 4 Cylinder automatic with an MSRP of $27,340. Seems like a decent price but I want a 36 month lease and the money factor they gave me was 0.00144. Is that a good money factor is it flexible? Also, can I waive or negotiate out the acquisition fee of $595?
    The money factor and acquisition fee are not negotiable. That's set by Kia Motor Finance when you lease through them. Your only other option would be to lease through a 3rd party and see what their rates and fees are.
  • brianf1997brianf1997 Member Posts: 26
    Just leased a 2012 SX with Sunroof, got it for $946 down (1st monthly, registration, etc.), $489/month including NJ taxes. MSRP was $37,150, negotiated price was $33,480 minus a $1k rebate ($32,480 total).

Good deal? I hope so!!
  • apcpaapcpa Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a Sorento from Murray Kia in Conchohocken, PA and here are the numbers. It is a EX with no extra packages. The sticker price was 27135. My negotiated price without incentives was 25855 - $1280 below sticker. According to edmunds the mark-up from invoice is 1450 so that says I paid $170 over invoice. I also got a further $1000 off from the cash back incentive from Kia. Did not qualify for the other incentives.
    The car is FWD with the new GDI 4 cylinder. Rated at 22/32 mpg. After 100 miles around suburbia stop and go driving I'm getting 21.5. Very happy so far...
  • ace_tace_t Member Posts: 1
    edited August 2011
    I am trying to decide whether this is a good deal. Id appreciate your comments.

I am looking at a 2012 Kia Sorento 2.4l EX AWD with no packages installed.
    The MSRP is 28,835; Invoice is 27,700; Rebates (that i qualify for) are $1000 + $500 - so that makes my price before taxes and tags - 26,200
    My out the door price including 6% sales tax and 228 registration/title fee is 28,000.

Do you guys think this is a good price or am I being ripped off here? Thanks!
  • jmanstrojmanstro Member Posts: 1
    Plus a few other minor options like cargo cover and carpet floormats and things like that.

Paid $25,963 out the door. Used all the discounts from the factory, totalling $2,500. Remember that tax is on the negotiated amount before the discounts. Financing was 3.9% Milwaukee area.
  • nergal_lvnergal_lv Member Posts: 17
    I think it was a good deal, just purchased a fully loaded 2012 SX AWD, with options 39,700. Price with total discounts $34,000, including a generous allowance for my trade ($2,600 more than what I reasearched it should be worth). Joplin, MO dealership.
  • tilitdiestilitdies Member Posts: 1
    This forum could be a powerful tool if enough people post to it. I referred to it often during my deal hunt.
    I just bought the same car (2012 LX V6 AWD) in Vermont with 3rd Row Seats and 7-seat carpeted floormats for $24,895 off the lot after $2500 in incentives (so really $27,395), plus $100 "dealer document fee" and the tax and title stuff.
    Drove it right off the lot, through Hurricane Irene damage, on a 300-mile roadtrip. Super smooth!
    Good luck and happy hunting!
  • paulvertzpaulvertz Member Posts: 5
    Just sharing for the benefit of the forum - I just purchased a EX V6 FWD with no additional packages. MSRP was $27,950 + $800 dest = $28,750. I paid $27,313, pretty close to invoice. I did however trade in a 2002 Toyota Rav 4 with 100K miles for $7,500 which was probably worth more.
  • webspherewebsphere Member Posts: 2
    is 27,313 the OTD price which including the TTL but not the $7500 trade in? What the tax rate?
    $27,313 only includes the destination fee ($800). TTL was added to that amount and then $7500 + $2000 rebates applied as down payment. OTD was about $20,500.
  • apnepapnep Member Posts: 15
    Is this a good deal? Trying to decide wether or not to buy...

Sorento EX FWD V6; third row seats; cloth/leatherette; cargo net; cargo cover;ec mirror w/ compass & homelink; wheel locks; roof rack cross bars, tinting...

25,991 plus TTL (1890 tax is 6.25%). Includes $3000 incentives/rebates.

MSRP is $28, 525 Dealer Cost is $27,220

Thanks, Angela
    Hi Angela,

I think I just bought a nearly identical car and I paid $25,325 which included $2000 in rebates. I didn't get the cargo net, cargo cover or any of the other extras you have so your deal is $670 higher because of those additional features. Seems like a pretty fair deal to me.
    Hi Paul,

Thanks for the response. How do they calculate tax?

25,992 + TTL - Downpayment

or

25,992 -downpayment +TTL?

Thanks,
    Angela
    You always pay taxes on the negotiated price BEFORE any down payment. So, you pay tax on $25,992. Good luck.
    Angela,

Now that I look at the number again, I'm thinking you could do better on this deal. I was comparing your deal to mine and it looked very similar BUT you are getting $3K in rebates. In my region (Southern Cal), Kia is only offering $2K in rebates so you should pay $1K less than me.

Your price breaks down like this:

$28,992 negotiated price
    -$3,000 rebates
    $25,992 + TTL (and tax is calculated on $28,992)

My deal was this:
    $27,380 negotiated price
    -$2,000 rebates
    $25,380 + TTL

The numbers to compare are what I'm calling "negotiated price". I think you should only be about $600 higher based on the fact that you are getting the cargo net, cover, wheel locks, etc. But you are actually $1,600 higher ($28,992 vs. $27,380). I think you should be able to negotiate another $1K off the price you have been offered. Good Luck!
    Paul,

You are right, I COULD have haggled another $800 off the price. I shopped his price around several dealers though and even tried the Costco dealer who was a different auto group than the one I purchased with, but I got tired. The Costco dealer would have sold me the car for $800 less IF he could have found the car I wanted, but there weren't any coming in to or close to Texas any time soon.

Ah well, it is what is. Those sales guys get you all excited and worked up when you get there huh? :) I love the car though. I can't wait to use it on our first trip.

Thanks for your help! I think next time, I'm just going to go straight through Costco...

Angela
  • antons911antons911 Member Posts: 66
    Hey guys, does the 4 cyl EX (FWD or AWD) does it come with third row?
    Looking at the website, the only way to get third row is to add the leather and navigation package, which makes the car way too expensive. For some reason you can get an LX 4 cyl and get a third row but not for the 4 cyl EX; let me know if I am wrong.