Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and Earlier - Jeep Cherokee (All) Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• fjburkefjburke Member Posts: 1
    Recently looked at 2009 Grand Cherokee Laredo x package, leather and navigation.
    MSRP is $38,490. Could purchase for $28,500. Is this a good deal in todays market? Thanks.
  • domzdomz Member Posts: 11
    I am sorry based on all my posts that I cannot answer that BUT had to ask.. Did you get prices from multiple dealerships WITHOUT telling each one the others cost, if so how did they compare as that kind of shopping should give you an idea of how you are doing........At a glance your price seems OK but if you shop it I bet it goes lower... I am in the north east, My 2008 26x 4x4 NEW was around 27,600 including taxes and includes document/registration and gap insurance. I DID NOIT SHOP MY DEAL, long story..... I would say based on what I have seen thats ( my cost ) is high. The #518 post says they paid around 28,500 for NEW 08 limited loaded with hemi.. Does your your price include title and registration and taxes, if not add a few thousand to your #.. Also BE CARE FULL with the extended warranty options the dealers prices are HIGH... Good luck
  • number1ceonumber1ceo Member Posts: 1
    Wow, steamdiggs any chance I can get a copy of the breakdown so I can put it in front of my local dealers here in Cleveland, OH? Word is we are going into Employee Pricing on Monday, 1/26, but I still can't see the prices going that low...well maybe if it's an '08.

Either way, good for you steamdiggs, I can only hope to pull a deal similiar to that.
  • schimmeyschimmey Member Posts: 6
    I am looking for a used 2008. A private seller has one with 250 miles on it that they purchased in Dec. MSRP they say was 35,000. They want to sell for 22,500. Blue book is stating 18,000 what would be a fair offer considering from what I am reading they probably got a good deal when it was purchased.
  • brettster26brettster26 Member Posts: 1
    Im looking at a 2008 Grand Cherokee 4x4 with 23,000 miles the asking price for the car is $21,900 Im wondering what the number is i should go in there with for an offer? and what the number is that i should pay??? Please HELP????
  • bill11783bill11783 Member Posts: 40
    Need to know what options / model you are looking at.

To get a fair estimate, click on the used car section (edmunds.com) and get the value of the vehicle you are looking to purchase. Work off of there to see where you should start on the offer.

Hope this helps.
    Thanks, Kelley Blue Book states 18,000. I believe it is the 26x package with moon roof, leather seats etc. I will know exactly when I actually see the vehicle
  • sceptre75sceptre75 Member Posts: 3
    Last weekend I got a price for a 2008 Grand Cherokee (no extras) with 11K miles for $17,500. This was also a certified pre-owned but I could care less about that. What do others think about this price? I get the impression that I could do better.
  • paulepaule Member Posts: 382
    "Im looking at a 2008 Grand Cherokee 4x4 with 23,000 miles the asking price for the car is $21,900 Im wondering what the number is i should go in there with for an offer? and what the number is that i should pay??? Please HELP???? "

That sounds high. Look at this post from a page back:

"I am looking to purchase a 2008 Grand Cherokee Laredo with the 26X package. So far the best deal I have been offered is $23,995 for a GC that has a sticker of $36,420."

I know I'd be willing to pay $2,000 more for 0 miles instead of 23,000 miles. You can do better.
  • stevedc34stevedc34 Member Posts: 25
    I noticed on kbb a 2008 limited with 15000 miles is only worth around $17000 trade in value. I am guessing that makes the car worth 25 or 26 k new. Is this sound accurate in comparison to current asking prices?
  • verdugoverdugo Member Posts: 2,286
    It depends on the options. You can have several thousands of options on a Limited (4x4 or 4x2, Hemi/skid plates/Quadra Drive II, HID lights, rear DVD, etc.).
  • ronaldcronaldc Member Posts: 50
    The lease on my G/C limited is coming due. The original residual value was calculated at $19,080. Chrysler Financial is reducing this to $13,080 plus sales tax. Has anyone received similar buyouts??
  • seeme4jeepseeme4jeep Member Posts: 2
    Yes, I am a salesperson at a Chrysler, Jeep, Dodge dealer in milwaukee, wi. What you received is what we call a PLPP. Preferred Lessee Purchase Price. Chrysler Financial does not want their vehicles back. They would have to pick them up from the dealers, recondition them, send them to the auction, and process all that paperwork. Chrysler would prefer to sell it to you for what they would probably get at the auto auction for it. In return they don't have to pay all the other fees attributed to a vehicle after it returns from lease. You will not be able to buy a vehicle just like yours at a dealer for the same price. It is a good idea to buy it out unless you don't like it. If you decide to buy it out all you have to do is contact a Jeep dealer and ask for a finance manager or the salesperson you bought it from. He will verify the PLPP number with Chrysler. Should only take him like 10minutes to do. I can call and get one myself in like 2 minutes. He will need your acct. # or SSN. You will have to fill out a credit application and he will get a new loan approved for you. If your buyout is $13,080 you will also have to pay a dealer service fee usually about $100-200. It's the same fee you pay when you buy a new car. 99% of dealers have them and it is a fair fee for the work they will have to do. You will also have to pay tax on the $13,080 and a DMV fee because you will be retitling the vehicle. If you were a Milwaukee resident your total buy-out would be $14,058. So don't be surprised if yours is about the same. Remember the dealer does not make any money by selling you your own car only if they sell you a new one. Don't forget to buy an extended warranty on the vehicle for peace of mind.
    I have been researching used Grand Cherokees and the more I research the more confused I get as to what would be the best deal. I found a Limited that was a rental with 13,000 miles that is now at a Dealer (bought at auction according to CarFax) he is asking 23,000, according to what I am seeing would 20,000 be a fair offer. If I have an option to purchase a Grand Cherokee x pkg 2008 from private owner with only 258 miles for 22,000 is that the better choice. Any advice would be appreciated
  • dfy8811dfy8811 Member Posts: 13
    Has anyone heard of any good deals on 2009 GC Limiteds?

I was quoted 28,895 for a GC Limited, 5.7L Hemi using Balloon Financing.

Trying to gauge what I should counter with. Anyone have thoughts?
    I think the dealer is asking waaaay too much.

I'm assuming the ex-rental is an 08, right? Go over to the forum about trade in values and post (make sure you provide the required info). I'm pretty sure it will be lower than $20k.

All things being considered, I rather buy a vehicle with 258 miles than an ex-rental with 13,000.

Why is the guy selling such a new car? Is there something wrong with it? At least you have the peace of mind of factory warranty. Although, the lifetime power warranty is not transferable.
  • melrammelram Member Posts: 14
    I just looked into leasing a 2009 Grand Cherokee Limited but realized the money factor and residuals are really bad and leasing is not an option. I am also considering buying a new one but have not negotiated on the price below. The dealer sent me the following information on the vehicle but I figure I can get him down some more since they aren't selling very many.

MSRP - $42,645.00 List price
    $39,475.00 Invoice
    $37,719.00 Employee Price / Sale Price = $4926.00 from MSRP
    $5,500 Rebates
    $32,219 Purchase Price

What was the MSRP, Invoice, Employee Pricing and rebates on your deal?

Thanks
  • dfy8811dfy8811 Member Posts: 13
    Don't have the information on hand but rebates sounds similar, only that with the balloon financing offerred in Long Island, you qualify for lease incentives which turn out to be an addition 3,500 or so.

If financed at 0% I would imagine the Purchase Price would be similar to yours.
    I just purchased a 2008 Grand Cherokee Laredo with X26 and 250 miles on it (part of Chrysler Buy Out package that they had to sell). The price I paid was 21,500.
    The Credit Union said by NADA ratings it was only worth 19,025, I had to purchase gap insurance for 250.00 to cover the difference between value and loan ... my new wonderful Jeep is worth it to me, I love it and truly believe that owning a Jeep (this is my third) is definetly a 'Jeep Thing' that only us Jeep owners can understand :)
    Anyone have any opinions on when I should purchase an '09 GC Overland?

I was planning on waiting until April thinking that the government will have either pulled Chrysler's loan or given them some more money by then (March 31st is that date).

Also, Jeep will probably unveil the new version by then and I'm somewhat interested in seeing what it looks like. However, I doubt that would affect my decision any.

I've always felt the longer you wait, the better the discount you'll get. I'm not so sure in this case. Auto sales were terrible last month and I think the dealers are probably pretty desperate right now.

I'd like to get $12k to $14k off of MSRP. I may be dreaming but I'm looking at a $45k MSRP so I'm guessing they have a bit more room to come off of MSRP as compared to a 26X package.

Any thoughts? :confuse:
    If you don't think that the new model will affect your decision, I say to go for it now.

Why? B/c at some point production levels will match demand, and the rebates will go down. And as you say, the market is in the tank. I say you should buy on the last day of the month.

Let us know what you decide.
    Paule,

I also have been looking at purchasing 2009 Grand Limited. The dealers have told me that between rebates, employee pricing and the financing offers, they have never seen any better incentives out there for Jeep’s. Two of the Jeep dealers I spoke too don't believe the incentives will get much better next month but could get worst based on them ending employee pricing. Not sure if the rebates will stay the same or increase but you can qualify for $6,250 in my area right now. I think you could come very close to the $12M off MSRP without to much haggling. I had a dealer try to unload 2009 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 on me the other day with sticker of $47,500. He offered $36,800 with the rebates and employee pricing. I loved the car but it was too expensive. I very well could of got him to come down if I was serious about getting this vehicle.

Let me know what you decide
    I'm really starting to lean in the direction of pulling the trigger now.

My plan is to fax/e-mail an offer of purchase with exactly what I want (color mainly since I'm looking at an Overland) to most dealers within a 400 mile of my house since I'm in the middle of nowhere (SW Colorado).

Basically, I'm asking them for their best price mentioning that I'm having multiple dealers quote and see what I get.

Verdugo, you're right on with the end of the month. I'm going to target the last week of the month.

Thanks for the opinions.
    Sounds like an excellent plan. Let us know how things turns out.

And I agree with melram, my gut (not based on anything else) doubts that incentives will get much better.

Best of luck.
    Looks like my gut might be wrong.

http://money.cnn.com/2009/02/12/autos/chrysler_lookahead/index.htm

Chrysler is asking dealers to take on more inventory so that its books look healthier when they ask for more money. However, it will leave dealers with even more inventory.

In the near term, Chrysler incentives will likely start going up higher this spring even as they drop for other manufacturers, Toprak said. Other manufacturers are expected to have lower inventories, he said, because their sales haven't dropped as much and they haven't pushed vehicles into dealer inventories to the degree Chrysler has.

So if you don't get the price you want at the end of this month, wait until the end of next month. It also happens to be the end of quarter :)

I wish I was in the market right now, but my 08 Limited only has 9,000 miles.
    Hmmm, interesting article. I think I'm still making the right move to buy now.

There are some dealers around me that have the vehicle I want but most do not. If they are being pressured to order vehicles, that may mean they have vehicles currently on order that they could change to my specs assuming they're still early in the build sequence.

I think I'll see what I get for a price and if it's not as low as I want, I'll wait and try again in a couple of months.

I don't have a problem with ordering a vehicle (in fact I almost prefer it) so I think that gives me more leverage and brings more dealers into play.

Luckily I tend to keep my vehicles for about 10 years (my current GC is 11 years old) so I'm not concerned very much with residual value.
    I don't have a problem with ordering a vehicle (in fact I almost prefer it) so I think that gives me more leverage and brings more dealers into play.

I actually think it's the opposite. Right now the dealers want to get rid of the inventory at hand. Although, I guess selling a factory order is better than no sale.

Mine was a factory order. They told me 6 weeks, and it showed up in a little bit less than 4 weeks -- and I'm in California.

Best of luck.
    I actually think it's the opposite. Right now the dealers want to get rid of the inventory at hand. Although, I guess selling a factory order is better than no sale.

Yes, I agree you may have more leverage if the vehicle you want is in stock and the dealer is dying to get rid of it. However, I'm looking for something pretty specific and on the non-common end of things (Overland instead of a Laredo).

One other thing to keep in mind is the dealer holdback. Dealer holdback on a Jeep is 3% of MSRP. 3% on a $44k vehicle equates to $1,320. If I order a vehicle, that is another $1,320 of "profit" to the dealer.

If the vehicle has sat on his lot for 3 months, that amount of money has already been used up on floorplan costs. That's less profit to the dealer but even more reason to get rid of it so he can stop paying floorplan interest.

Thanks!
  • travelladytravellady Member Posts: 1
    I live near Seattle and see a dealer website listing a new 2008 Laredo with Online Price of $27,021 and MSRP of $32,120. It's the lowest end Laredo, with cloth interior and lists the options as:
    (26E) Quick Order Package 26E
    (APA) Monotone Paint Application
    (F7) Cloth Low Back Bucket Seats
    (NAA) Federal Emissions
    (YEP) Manufacturer's Statement of Origin

We looked at some at a different dealership yesterday and were told about the Employee Pricing ++ and that was included in the pricing they were advertising. I wasn't sure how much to negotiate under that amount but from what I'm reading it seems the 4500.00 current rebate offer should be in addition to that? Am I assuming correctly?

All said, what could I expect to pay for the one I listed above? We're paying cash so no financing involved. Any suggestions are helpful as we're getting ready to purchase since we've added a 3rd driver to the family and miss having an SUV. Loved my 1998 Grand Cherokee Laredo but sold that a few years ago. Ready for another!
    That dealer is smoking something if he doesn't substract the $4500 from the $27k price. Employee Pricing is less than invoice, Go to the Jeep's edmund's web page to see what the invoice price is. EP is a bit less than that (don't remember the exact %).

You should pay that minus rebates. If the dealer is playing games, walk. There are plenty of other dealers out there.

Good luck.
  • raffiemraffiem Member Posts: 11
    My 06 Laredo is coming due may 1st. they lowered the buyout by 1900 to $15,500. I offered $10k. They sounded happy and went away thanking me. Is this worth it? I know they dont want the car back but this would save me some hassle.

Is it worth calling Chrysler Financial to make that offer firm?
    How many miles do you have? Has it been reliable?

I have an 08 Limited with 9k miles, and I'd be lucky to get $15k for it right now. :cry:
  • raffiemraffiem Member Posts: 11
    34K...no problems thus far. told them I's take it for 10 but no word yet.
    Good for you. Let us know how it turns out.
    I have been out test driving 2009 Grand Cherokees Limited’s this week and have been offered the following deal.

2009 Grand Cherokee Limited (5.7 Hemi, Entertainment system, Chrome package)
    $46,680 MSRP
    $34,000 Selling price plus taxes, title, ect (savings of $12,680 off)
    -This includes $6,500 in rebates since I am returning lessee. I believe it is good deal on paper but I am still wondering about the financial status of Chrysler going bankrupt. I am debating on purchasing this weekend since the current incentives end on March 2nd. The car is pretty loaded for great price.

Any thoughts on the deal or waiting?

Thanks
    MelRam
    I am jealous. I have an 08 Limited with the smaller V8 engine (which is plenty for me). If I remember correctly, the MSRP was around $41k. I got it for $34k + taxes. This was back in September, 07.

I would say the deal is pretty good. I don't think Jeep is going away. It might not be part of Chrysler, but it will be around. If you're happy with that dealership, I say go for it since you're happy with that price.
    From what I've just encountered, that is a very good price. If I had received a similar amount off of MSRP, I would have purchased.
    What I don't understand is why the MSRP is so high. An Overland is $45,325 without the rear DVD.
    Can you break out the rebates? Did you receive a coupon from Chrysler that provides you with an additional discount?
    Does your rebate include the $1,000 they have (had) associated with Chrysler financial?
    Where are you at (what area of the country)?
    I personally think the deals will get better but I would pull the trigger if I were you and part of your discounts relate to the Chrysler coupon.
    The Employee Pricing discount is only 2% off of invoice.
    The best I could get was $10,325 off MSRP.
    Paule,

This is a fully loaded Limited and I am located in Ohio. I also looked at the Overland but did not like the color interior choices. The Limited and Overland have different color interiors. I was not crazy about the two tone choices in either vehicle but like the limited better.

I misquote on the rebate yesterday. I do qualify for the max rebate of $6,250 since I am coming off a lease. I believe they throw in additional $750 since my lease matures in March.

The rebates are broken down as follow:
    Great Lakes Lease to Retail $750.00
    Great Lakes Bus Center Financial Bonus Cash $1,000.00
    Great Lakes Customer Cash Allowance $1,500.00
    Great Lakes Bonus Cash $1,000.00
    Great Lakes Owner Loyalty $2,000.00

Option Breakdown:
    $39,010 Base Price
    $2,400 5.7 HEMI upgrade
    $1,700 DVD System Group
    $995 Aluminum Wheels
    $995 Chrome Edition Group by Mopar
    $280 Trailer Group
    $500 High Intensity HeadLamps
    $780 Destination Charge
    $46,680 MSRP
    $41,354 Employee Pricing per dealer

Paule - One thing I have noticed over last few weeks. I have visited 3 dealerships in my area and most of them will not negotiate below the employee pricing + rebates, saying that is the best offer and they would have to locate the car. I have since emailed few dealerships with the vehicle in inventory but will have to drive few hours to get the vehicle. My original offer from the dealership was $35,104 ($41,354 Employee Pricing - $6,250 Rebates) for this vehicle. They were looking to move vehicles by month end and said I could have it for $34,000 if I could pick it up by Saturday.

Hope that helps
    I'm with Paule. It is a great price. Hope you take advantage of it.

Let us know what you end up doing.

And be careful in the F&I office. Don't buy the mop and glow.
    That is very helpful. Thank you.

Here's what I was offered:
    2009 Overland - No options (no rear DVD)
    $45,325 MSRP
    $40,082 Employee Pricing Plus
    $39,000 Dealer Quoted Price
    -$2,000 Denver BC Customer Cash Allowance
    -$2,000 Owner Loyalty (See Note Below)*

Total: $35,000
    Total discount of $10,325

-$1,000 Denver BC Chrysler Financial Bonus Cash**
    Total: $34,000 (Discount of $11,325)

Notes:
    * I did not receive an owner loyalty coupon in the mail which apparently you need. However, I did receive an e-mail from Chrysler mentioning the owner loyalty bonus. The salesman at this dealership allegedly called a Chrysler customer service line and determined I was eligible and received a confirmation number from Chrysler that I was entitled to this discount. Sounds a little fishy to me but that is what I was told. ;);)

** I believe I also would have been eligible for this discount with the 0% financing for 48 months due to my credit score (upper 700s).

Also, this dealer did not have the vehicle I wanted. They located it at another dealer.

If I had another $1,000 off, I probably would have bit. The owner loyalty cash would be the reason. I believe Chrysler may end that and that would be $2,000 you'd lose although who really knows.

I do believe the general rebates will increase but maybe not until after April 1st.
    In my previous post, I mentioned about receiving an e-mail from Chrysler mentioning the loyalty bonus and that one of the dealers called a customer service number to confirm my eligibility. I thought it sounded a little fishy.

Well, I looked back through my e-mails and found the e-mail from Chrysler. I think the confirmation was legit. The e-mail I got from Chrysler clearly states that I'm eligible for the owner loyalty bonus and that it was not transferable.

I have not heard whether this continues into March. The e-mail states it ends on March 2nd.

It reads, "Again, from now until March 2nd, you are eligible to receive a special ‘owners-only’ cash allowances* up to $2000 when you purchase a new Chrysler, Jeep, or Dodge vehicle. This Owner Loyalty Bonus Cash is in addition to the Employee Pricing Plus Plus incentive which offers employee pricing PLUS consumer rebates PLUS special financing offers. The amount of the loyalty cash allowance depends on the model you select, and it can be combined with most current incentives."

We'll see what they do for incentives for March.
    Melram,
    Did you pull the trigger this past weekend?
  • mymo1mymo1 Member Posts: 1
    Hi Steamdiggs

I am considering Power in Valencia, please contact me.
    Paule,

I decided to roll the dice and wait until the end of March since my lease is not up until then. I contacted my previous sales person who said he would match the price I obtained on this Jeep and order it for me. I have dealt with him and this dealership and decided to let him have my business. Should be here in few weeks. My only risk was the incentive piece. They couldn’t guaranty if the rebates would change in March. They were able to inform me the employee pricing would continue in March. All the incentives stayed the same for me (rebates). The only thing that changed was Chrysler 0% financing over 36 months (instead of 48 months). You would think Chrysler would loosen this incentive to sell more cars (60 months). I am going through a credit union so it didn't impact me.

Have you had any more luck in your Overland search? I know the dealerships here are being very aggresive and are willing to deal to win your business.

MelRam
    When I did my factory order, they told me that I would get the better of rebates -- either the ones at the time I ordered or when the car arrived.
    MelRam,
    I ended up putting my search on hold temporarily. The day after I sent out my e-mails soliciting quotes, I received news that the company I work for will be instituting an across the board pay cut soon. I have not yet heard how much the pay cut will be but it could be as high as 20%. Wonderful economy we have.

Anyway, I decided not to purchase until I at least find out how much my pay will be cut. If it's in the 5-10% range, I will possibly be able to deal with that and look at buying since my current GC has over 200,000 miles on it. It still runs fine but I'm finding myself not really trusting it fully to drive 4-5 hours away from home. I have a small child and travel to some fairly remote areas.

I also didn't quite get the price I was looking for. I really wanted to hit at least $12k off of MSRP and didn't quite get there. The incentives here in the mountain west are not as good as the eastern half of the US.

It also appears that Chrysler was going all out in February for incentives and are now pulling back. I noticed that they increased MSRPs, cut back on the discount they were giving in terms of employee pricing, and dropped some other incentives out here (I no longer see the $1,000 Chrysler financial discount).

It also appears that I've lost out on the $2,000 Chrysler owner loyalty bonus. I did find one dealership that was pretty aggressive but they had to get the vehicle I wanted from another dealer. I'm now very unsure as to what I plan on doing. Right now I'm planning on waiting at least until late April/May before doing anything.

Did the dealership still give you the loyalty bonus?
    Verdugo,
    Did they mention anything about not being able to honor non "sales protected rebates" when you ordered yours?
    I got that comment from one of the dealers.
    Paul
    Paul,

Not sure what they mean by non "sales protected rebates." But when I ordered there was a $3000 cash rebate. By the time my WK came (less than 4 weeks later), the cash rebate had gone up to $3500 and MyGig was free.

There was no loyalty money involved or anything else. Sorry.

Angel
    Paul,

Best of luck with your work situation at work. We didn't get raises this year, but there haven't been lay offs either (yet).
    We actually got small raises in late 2008 but they will now be taken away (and then some). At least I still have a job!

Anyway, I mis-wrote earlier when I wrote "sales protected rebates". I meant "sold order protected".

One of the dealers did not list the $2,000 owner loyalty bonus because he would have had to order in the vehicle. Apparently the owner loyalty bonus was not one of these "sold order protected" programs. In other words, if I did not take delivery of the vehicle in February, he could not offer that bonus.