Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and Earlier - Jeep Cherokee (All) Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• verdugoverdugo Member Posts: 2,286
    GAP insurance pays the difference between what the car is worth versus what you owe for the car.

Say you finance $32,000. When you drive that car off the lot, it's worth a lot less. It's a fact. If it's totalled (knock on wood), insurance will not pay you $32,000 which is what you owe on your loan. It will pay you what the car is worth. GAP covers that difference. If you didn't have it, you would have to pay that money yourself.

Before you sign anything make sure you research it and read the fine print very carefully.

And good luck, hope you like yours as much as we like ours. :shades:
  • mickeymouse1mickeymouse1 Member Posts: 49
    2009 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x2..new vehicle purchase...
    Rocky Mountain Edition W Package...cloth seats, no navi, power sunroof, heated front seats, uconnect tunes
    Window Sticker is $32,975.00
    So far, the deal I received is $30,500.00 plus AZ tax of 7.95% or $2579.00
    +$675.00 fee, + $369.00 doc fee = $33985.00 out the door
    I will be taking the 0% financing for 72 months in lieu of the $4500.00 rebates...
    Therefore, my payment will be $472.00...0.00 down....please advise on how to shave more off the price...Any advice would be appreciated!
  • paulepaule Member Posts: 382
    That's really not a stunning deal.
    I'd start shopping additional dealers. E-mail is the easiest way of doing today.
    What's up with the $675 fee? What's it for? A doc fee of $369 is way high in my opinion.
    I wouldn't bite at that myself. Look at additional dealers.
  • quest4funquest4fun Member Posts: 4
    Just returned from shopping two dealers for a Grand Cherokee Overland model. Maybe this will give you some insight on pricing.

MSRP: $47,500
    Less $4,500 rebate, $1000 cash bonus, $1000 Conquest Cash (may only be for Mid Atlantic region) + 0% financing. (go to jeep.com and check incentives)

Both dealers gave me a price of $37k. That's $10k plus off MSRP. I think I can get it for $35K. Plus, a salesman other than mine said they will be getting more 2009 models shipped next week. This is the inventory Chrysler/Jeep did not ship when they shut down production a couple of months ago.

Agree with others -- What are these fees? I wouldn't pay them. Chrysler pays the dealers to process purchased vehicles.

Check multiple dealers websites and see how many of the model you want they have on hand. It's a buyers market!
    I agree with the previous two replies. It's a bad deal, and the $1k in fees is excessive.
  • willfinewillfine Member Posts: 6
    Is anyone else finding it hard to find new Grand Cherokees on anyone's lot?
  • ytsam007ytsam007 Member Posts: 4
    Just wondering if it is a good price.
    The msrp for the car is $35355. It is a rocky mountain edition with the popular equipment. The car was quoted at $33500 and you get $8500 in rebates. Is this a good deal. Thanks.
    Can't really help as I'm not sure what "popular equipment" could be. Check Edmund's TMV. $8500 in rebates? Wow, that's pretty good. Good luck.
  • ytsam007ytsam007 Member Posts: 4
    Thanks, I just did that and I am $200 dollars over TMV. I guess I did pretty well.
    Cool. TMV is average value. Some people paid a bit more, and some a bit less. $200 over TMV is a good price. Hope you like yours as much as we like ours.
  • zulu06zulu06 Member Posts: 1
    1998 Cherokee Sport - Used w/98K Miles in 2007 from a private seller for $3K. Since, I've had to replace the entire exhaust system including the CAT and now I've replaced the cylinder head. But, I love this truck!
    Just purchased an Overland model. Here the pricing breadown.

$45.6 k MSRP (no rear DVD) paid $36K. All rebates ($7500) inlcuded plus $1800 five (5) year full maintenance plan. Not including taxes, tags, and title. A few Overlands and good stock of Limited's around the Baltimore/DC area. Dealers are very willing to negotiate.
    Very nice deal. Congrats!
  • robert222robert222 Member Posts: 2
    It a year later
    did you purchase the car at that price
  • robert222robert222 Member Posts: 2
    Looking to get the best price on a 2009 laredo

31585 sticker
    add leather 1300
    add blue ttoth 499

less rebates

quoted 24800 out the door

about 8584 off

is that a good deal?
  • nolanolenolanole Member Posts: 2
    I'm looking to buy an '09 JGC Laredo with the X package plus navigation and V8. The MSRP is $37,730. I know the '10s are on the lot, so I'm wondering what sort of price I should shoot for. There are about $5,500 in incentives, so I know I can at least get it down to $32,230, but it's also a demo with 3,100 miles on it. How much extra do you think I can get off on this vehicle?
    '09 Laredo, demo with 3,100 miles? I wouldn't pay more than $25,000 for it.
    You need to be looking at it as a used vehicle; not new and pay accordingly.
  • ssjeepssjeep Member Posts: 5
    I agree you shouldn't pay more than $25,000, especially since the 2010's are out. I got an '09 Overland a few months ago with 30 miles on it for $34,000.
  • artoakdaleartoakdale Member Posts: 6
    Black Base model /cloth w/chrome side trim, 18k miles, great condition,
    add roof racks

$16995 +1525 NY metro taxes

+$679 used car prep fee
    $75 processing fee (plates)
    $149 filing fee
    $37 inspection fee

$19460 OTD

I am happy with the price of the car. It's the fees that i am concerned with. Are the fees excessive and which ones should i ask to be stricken from the price?

Thanks
  • bill11783bill11783 Member Posts: 40
    The only one I would have a problem with is the used car prep fee ($679).
    Just another chance for them to gouge a few hundred extra out of the consumer.
    Try to get them down on this one.

As for the other fees....they are pretty standard...$149 filing fee sounds like a dealer processing fee....usually on most car deals.
    Good Luck!
  • artoakdaleartoakdale Member Posts: 6
    Ok thanks, i'll work them on that.

What do you think of the deal as a whole?
  • bytehovenbytehoven Member Posts: 5
    I just bought an '09 Grand Cherokee Limited with a $43,160 sticker price. It was one of only (4) units I could find with Quadra Drive II within a 100 miles.

Sales Agreement reads as follows

MSRP: $43160
    Unit Price: $40,000 ($282 below dealer invoice)
    Trade in Allowance: $21696
    Sales Tx: $690
    On Line Registration: $8.30
    Motor Vehicle Fee: $209.50
    Doc Fee: $149
    All Rebates: $7500

Net Cash Paid on Delivery: $11860.80

Total discount on Jeep off sticker: $10660
    Total price paid for trade in over wholesale value: $3696

I am very happy with the deal. There was a little more wiggle room in the price if I went after some of the dealer hold back, but since they gave me much more for my trade than any other dealer had offered, it was really a wash.

A little back story on the trade. I traded a 2006 Dodge Ram 2500 SLT 4X4 QC Short Bed with the Hemi. The truck had just under 15000 miles. I could not find a buyer in the paper, even at a wholesale price of $18,000. The next best trade in offer I had was $20500 toward a 09 Grand Cherokee Laredo, and although it had QD II it didn't have any of the other Limited upgrades we wanted. I paid $29000 for the Dodge, so I was able to drive it 3 years for a bit more than $200/month. Not Bad.

I would note all of my other local dealers would have needed to trade with another dealer in order to get a Jeep with with features we wanted, causing them to have even less room to negotiate a good price.

BTW... If the Jeep as some demo miles, they may give up their hold back, which might range in the $1100-$1500 range depending on the cost of the Jeep. Anything around 24-25% off the MSRP on an '09 is in the ball park of a great deal. Maybe an extra $1000-1500 if the unit has 3000-5000 demo miles. But also consider what you're getting for your trade. Anything over wholesale in this sales environment is a bonus.

Personally, I like to buy without having to also negotiate the trade, but I think I did very well on the trade.

Regarding 09 inventories... I wonder how many more units are sitting on lots? I'm sure they are trying hard to release them so that they don't have to discount units even more. I have heard stories of '09 Jeeps arriving at dealers every couple weeks, but could not confirm. So it's worth checking your local inventories every so often.

Good luck to '09 buyers.
    Congrats on your purchase. There's def. deals to be had out there.
  • jch4504jch4504 Member Posts: 2
    I am hoping someone can help! We are looking at an ’09 Overland (hemi/V8) loaded with 10,500 demo miles (it has been driven by the dealership’s owner). Sticker as you know is 45K and change. We are in Westchester County, NY and the Overland has been impossible to find First offer made by dealer:

1 % off invoice (this happens to be my preferred pricing discount through work)
    - $1,000
    - $3000 rebate/incentive
    Final - @ $37,991 (including dest and a mktng assistance charge for NY?) I thought the invoice charge should already include dest charge?)

Unfortunately, we just missed the 0% financing and extra incentives by 3 days. They have 2 other Overlands, (which are so hard to come by) also Demos with approx 2K-3K miles. I am trying to go for the lowest price (of course) but my husband would prefer the lower miles.

From what I have been reading around the posts and on line – a year end w/almost 11K miles should be much, much lower – like 32-33. I may be way off. Any thoughts are much appreciated.
    You should note the deal I recently posted as well as those posted by some others, included a number of rebates which appear to have expired.

Under the previous rebates, you should have expected to get around $12000 off the MSRP + another $1000-2000 for the for the 10,500 demo miles. A little less for the demos with 2k-3k miles.

However, with the rebates apparently expired, your option may be more limited.

It won't hurt to make an offer based on the previous available rebates and see what happens. I wouldn't do the deal without the old rebates and atleast $12000 off the MSRP for the 09.

Good luck with your purchase.
    As per my prior post, paid $36k all incentives included for an new (no miles) Overland with a sticker of $45.6k back in the end of August. Dealer threw in a 5 year maintenance plan to sweeten the deal. This was in the Wash DC/Baltimore area.

At that time, looked at three demos, all $47.5k MSRP and all with 5k miles. Dealers were asking $35-$36 with incentives.

Overland model is discontinued for 2010 and I'm surprised they even have three 2009s available given the steep incentives that were available for the past several months.Dealers here sold out their inventory and had empty lots in August. Leads me to think they can't move them especially now that incentive programs have ended. You should have more room to negotiate here.

BTW - I'm totally impressed with the Overland. Ride, performance and comfort are excellent and the price to value is great. Looked at MB, BMW and Range Rover Sport and know I made the right choice as well as saved a ton of $$$.

Best of luck with your purchase! Hope this helped.
    Speaking of BMWs, I ended up buying a used 2006 BMW X5 4.4L to drive for a couple of years until the new model GC comes out. I priced out a new X5 somewhat comparable to the '06 I bought and it stickered at $68,000!

Don't get me wrong, my X5 is a really nice car and I definitely enjoy it but when I buy a new SUV, it will be the next GC for $20,000 less than what the X5 would cost.
  • jch4504jch4504 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks very much for the input. I have been reading through all of the threads and your posts and have been researching online extensively for weeks but this process is very overwhelming and intimidating.

My fear is walking away - we love the car and I know that this will most likely be it (since it is discontinued in 2010. The dealership is in such an affluent area that they would probably get someone in next week to write a check for MSRP.

My gut says start at 31,500 (considering the 11K demo miles) and walk over 33250. I think this is fairly realistic?? Theres also the lower mileage demos with 2-3K to consider too...anyone actually enjoy this :confuse: ??
    It really sounds like you're letting your emotions take over. It's very easy to do and common for that to happen.

You still need to realize that you are, in effect, buying a used vehicle. It doesn't really matter that they are "demo miles". They are still miles.

Maybe you can look a little further away. It doesn't sound like you're going to get a good deal at this delaership.
    "My fear is walking away - we love the car and I know that this will most likely be it (since it is discontinued in 2010. The dealership is in such an affluent area that they would probably get someone in next week to write a check for MSRP. "

This is exactly what the dealer wants you to be thinking, so you will pay a higher price.

If you're not prepared to walk away from the deal unless they give you atleast $12K or 25% off, then go ahead a buy at whatever deal you can get.

However, you would then be wise to forget about continuing to research what prices other people are paying, because you will see others getting the deal you were afraid to demand.

Regarding mileage, it honestly doesn't really matter if you drive the Jeep off the lot with 50 miles or 5000 miles. You would have about the same amount of depreciation if you needed to turn around and sell it quickly. The point to remember, you will be getting the lifetime drivetrain warranty even though the Jeep has demo miles, and the 3 year/36000 warranty is added to whatever miles are on the Jeep.

IMHO, you should wait until the last week of the month. Go in and make your best offer. If they won't accept, leave a phone number and tell them they have a day or so because you're going to buy a new car, even if it's not their Jeep. You will get a call back with a discount in the 25% off MSRP range.

Good luck
  • al120hpal120hp Member Posts: 5
    I bought a deal demo around 8 months ago. I purchased a 2008 Grand Cherokee Limited with 11,000 miles on it. Bought it for $21,000.00 puls tax and tags. I thought that was a good deal. Also I bought the extended 100,000 mile/ 5yr extended warranty warranty for$1000.00.

Does this seem like a good deal?????????????????????

Thanks

Al
    Yes.
  • redsox2001redsox2001 Member Posts: 1
    I bought a loaded (rear DVD, chrome package) 2009 Overland in NJ in October for 35k - sticker was 48k. It was a demo with 5k miles. I think some of the incentives are no longer availabe for the 2009s. I was happy with the price and love the jeep so far!
  • mrmysterymrmystery Member Posts: 3
    Ok everyone, it's one thing for me to read this for entertainment -- it's another when I am actually ready to by one. So thanks in advance!

THE JEEP: I've found a USED 2008 GC Limited 2WD w/ 68 miles -- that is right, 68 total miles! It has HEMI/V8, leather, navigation with hard disk, rear-back up camera, remote start, and so on. It does not have the rear DVD or HID headlights.

THE STORY: Original dealership closed. Went to auction. Picked up by my local dealership, now shows that it has had 1 owner on carfax and sold as used. Factory warranty started when local place bought it at auction.

THE OFFER: Sticker says $32k. Advertised for $26,995. I offered $23K. Eventually they came down to "$25,400" and let me walk. My final offer was $24K + tax & title.

I get it... these guys are good. They are feeling the pinch but that doesn't mean they are going to let me rob them.

Two questions, if you please. (1) Is $24K a good deal? A steal? Should I keep trying? Any other tips with what you now know? (2) I don't understand why there is 1 owner (verified on Carfax) when it was never sold to a person. It even shows the vehicle has been serviced at the original dealership. Were they lying when they said they count as the first owner or did someone actually own this?
    Perhaps the vehicle had some major issue which caused the owner to return the Jeep.

Are they offering the Jeep with the full factory warranty?

$32K could not have been the MSRP on the factory sticker, or is it the original factory sticker?

If you are buying "as is" or with a limited warranty, you might be buying someone else's problem. Also, a 2WD Jeep is something that might be hard to sell later on, even with all the other nice goodies.

Keep us posted on any additional you learn about the vehicle.
    Thanks for the response, I'm eager to get this figured out.

The warranty started in September of this year, when they bought it at auction when the other dealership closed. This concurs with the carfax report and I also know the other dealership did indeed close. It is NOT being sold as is.

Also -- you are right about the sticker. The original was way, way more than $32K. I was glancing at the "used" sticker... I think the original MSRP was 40-41?

Again, thanks for your time. Any opinion on the deal would be great.
    I'm with bytehoven on the 4x2. I'm not sure where you live, but it could become an issue. If you don't really need the 4x4, there might be better vehicles for you out there. However, none of them will be $24k. Have you tried pricing it in Edmunds or KBB?

Don't worry too much about the warranty. You have plenty of it left, and you could always buy a Jeep extended warranty later. You don't have to buy it when you buy the car.

The deal sounds good, but I'd still want another mechanic to take a look at it.
    I don't live where it snows (central California). KBB says MSRP of $30,730 for this used GC in excellent condition. If I do go through with this deal, I bet they will try to slip in a destination charge (~$700). That won't fly with me. I'm starting to wonder if $24k is a killer deal at all now. They say they can't even do $24k, but I'm very, very close. That tells me they CAN do it, I just need to wait a few days.
    Carfax will show an auction vehicle as a previous owner.
    I think $24k is a very good deal on that vehicle even with it being a 2WD. I agree that it will be harder to sell later on (could be much harder) but that's a very good deal.
    I think $40k new is a little optimistic for what that vehicle would have sold new for but it was well into the 30's.
    I think $40k new is a little optimistic for what that vehicle would have sold new for but it was well into the 30's.

Good point. I bought an '08 GC in October of 207. Brand new, no trade in, in fact, it was a factory order. 4.7L V8, 4x4, HID, Navigation. MSFRP was in low 40's, I got it at invoice, $37 and change, - rebates, and minus free MyGig navigation. selling price was $34 and change (before Taxes).

I did a quick search in autotrader.com and your price looks good. Let's us know what happens.
  • oiiiiiiiooiiiiiiio Member Posts: 4
    Sharing my purchase price (Dec. 2009)

2010 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (5.7L Hemi 6cyl 5A)

Options:

25H Quick Order Package 25H
    WPP 18" x 7.5" Chrome Clad Aluminum Wheels
    AHX Trailer Tow Group IV info

MSRP $43,875 (including destination charge)
    INVOICE $41,194 (including destination charge)

REBATE $4,000
    OUT-OF-POCKET $36,000 + TTL

OIIIIIIIO
    INVOICE $41,194 (including destination charge)

REBATE $4,000
    OUT-OF-POCKET $36,000 + TTL

Hi, so assuming that there was no trade-in, you got the car for $36,000 (after rebates). Before rebates, it's $40,000, right?

That is $1,194 *below* invoice? :confuse: wow.

OIIIIIIIO <--- Nice! :shades:
  • jkingsjkings Member Posts: 2
    I'm car shopping this weekend and plan on looking at this vehicle. I've never owned a Jeep, and I didn't even consider purchasing one until I saw this vehicle on a local dealer's website. It's listed at $11,900. It has 40k miles and a clean car fax. What should I offer them (providing I do more homework and like it enough to get to the make-an-offer stage).
  • jas_n66jas_n66 Member Posts: 3
    Currently looking to buy a new jeep gc limited with the hemi.Dealers msrp $43,875 Manufacturer Rebate of $6,000 and preferred customer rebate of $4,605. Which brings the selling price to $33,270. I offered my paid for 2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L with 46k miles in excellent condition for trade (mostly stored inside and never seen snow) they offered $11,000 I feel its a little low. I also was offering my wife's car which is a 2006 stratus sxt 2.4L with 47k miles also in excellent condition. They offered $5500.I was hoping for them to pay it off. Pay off for loan is $7,600.
    Net trade value $16,500
    Trade difference $16,770
    Lien Payoff $7600
    Sales tax $1,537
    Tags and fees $34
    Documentation Fee $75
    Total Purchase Price $26,016

I'm a little confused. Am I getting a good deal. Should I ask more for the jeep wrangler and privately sell the stratus. Is the msrp high on the Grand cherokee.
    Going to another dealer tomorrow to see if the give better trade value.Any advice would be great. Thanks
    Is the msrp high on the Grand cherokee.

Who cares? You're getting over $10k off MSRP. :P That's pretty good.

Jeep Wranglers hold their value really well. I'd suggest you sell the Wrangler privately and trade in the Stratus.

You said that you were hoping for a little more on trade in, but how realistic is that? Have you priced them on Edmunds/KBB? You should also post on Real World Trade In values forum on this site to get an actual trade in value from a salesperson.
  • jkw1980jkw1980 Member Posts: 1
    Looking for any feedback on pricing and features:

'10 GC Laredo Base package

$33,685 MSRP
    -$3,142 Employee discount
    -$4,000 rebates
    -$500 customer Loyalty
    -$2,000 trade in (2002 stratus w/ 111,000 - also w/ employee discount)
    Plus another possbile $2,000 in rebates if I go with a local bank loan - I need to do the math on the finance side of things still.

Is this a good deal. Never owned a SUV. On the road a lot with work, but still want to do weekend warrior stuff with towing. Just not sure if I am buying a lot of car to do a few things a few times during the year. I am aware of how well they hold there value over the years as well.

Thanks in advance for any imput.
  • photohphotoh Member Posts: 5
    Stationed in the middle east and recieved this quote through ENCS (Military Sales):
    2010 Jeep GC Limitied 3.7L Blue Pearl Coat
    Class II Receiver Hitch
    Media Center 730N CD/HDD Radio w/Navigation
    UConnect Phone
    17" x 7.5" Aluminum Wheels
    Remote Start System
    Heated Front Seats
    Heated 2nd Row Seats
    ParkView (TM) Rear Back-Up Camera
    PLUS all the other limited stuff EXCEPT the sunroof
    MSRP 39320.00
    Quoted 33700.00 +TTL
    Good price or not? Thanks for any help. I have emailed dealers and most say "Call us when you get home" so looking for any input.
    Hi. You shouldn't be paying more than invoice - rebates. Not sure how rebates work if you're abroad. Just a few things to keep in mind:

* SUV's aren't selling as well as they used to
    * It's the second half of the model year
    * The economy is still not doing so well
    * The Grand Cherokee is going to be completely redisigned for the 2011 model year

I say you should pay less than invoice - rebates. Good luck and get back safely.
  • photohphotoh Member Posts: 5
    Thanks for the reply, They offered me 5,000.00 in instant rebates along with another 1000.00 for military/loyalty.It does seem to me that I could get a better deal back home plus I do like the 2011.They claim that they will beat any "Full Documented Quotation" from another dealer but getting a dealership to do that via the internet has proved impossible. Thanks again..
    I agree. You can do better when you get home. The 2011 looks pretty sweet. Just remember one thing, every manufacturer has gremlins the first model year. So if you decide to buy a 2011, be aware that you could be a bit of a guinea pig. Good luck.