Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chrysler Town & Country Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• hyyzhyyz Member Posts: 4
    I posted this message under another topic in Edmunds forums. The T&C is an SWB. I bought it on June 20 with Chrysler employee discount and all other cash rebates. I think the employee discount dropped the price to mid 18K. The cash rebates includes $2,500 for everyone, $1,000 for trade-in or financing through Chrysler, $500 for AARP member. I wasn't an AARP member before I bought the van, but the dealer applied it for me to let me take the discount. With all above deals, the price dropped to $14,300 or so. Then add tax, doc fee, title transfer fee, etc. That brought the price to $15,450 or so.

I know several other guys bought this way at almost the same price in June.
  • charlotte7charlotte7 Member Posts: 144
    Was this just a plain SWB T&C? No LX package?
  • hyyzhyyz Member Posts: 4
    Yes. It is a plain SWB T&C. It was built in Fenton, Mo on June 10th.
  • antelope1antelope1 Member Posts: 9
    Thanks for the advice on negotiating. Only car I've ever bought was a Saturn, so I never had to deal with that stuff.

Someone mentioned a $500 year end bonus on 2005 models...was that only good until the end of June? If AARP has a discount, does AAA members get discounts too?
  • mttskysmttskys Member Posts: 23
    The $500 end of year bonus was good until either Aug 1st or 31st.... I don't remember exactly. It isn't a standard offer though.... you can't just walk into a dealership and ask for it.... well, you could try I guess.

Mine came as a "coupon" in the mail, addressed specifically to me. It was actually presented as a Jeep discount (but good on all dodge, chrysler, etc... minus the 300c and other in demand vehicles). It was transferable only to other family members at the same address....

The one piece of junk mail that actually was worth something.
  • blueyonderblueyonder Member Posts: 4
    When I told the sales manager I would give him $16,000 for the 2005 Town & Country SW base model, he jumped up in the chair like a rabbit. That was this Tuesday (July 12th).

Now it seems my offering was more than reasonable.

Thanks for your post.
  • cnew21cnew21 Member Posts: 13
    Not sure if I should be pissed or not about this. We bought a T&C LX on June 16. We purchased from Fitzmall and paid the delivered value price in order to get the .9% financing. This was a better deal then getting the $2500 rebate w/ conventional financing. We still paid below invoice/TMV.

Then I get an email last week from the dealership about the employee pricing. I haven't run the numbers yet but should I be pissed off about this? I'm thinking that I could have gotten a T&C Touring w/ leather and DVD for about the same price that I paid for the LX.

I don't suppose there is anything I can do about it now. This my was third car and my first new and at the time I got a good deal but I'm still pissed about this. lol

C
  • hansiennahansienna Member Posts: 2,312
    A T&C LX (clone of GC SE Plus) is basically a rip off :cry: since the GC SXT costs LESS than a T&C LX if you add some of the options. The GC SXT is a clone of the T&C Touring minus the power lift gate and costs $760 less than the T&C Touring.
    The GC SXT has power sliding doors both sides, cast wheels, 3.8L V6 instead of 3.3L V6, fog lights, plus a few others goodies and will cost LESS than either the T&C LX or GC SE Plus if the overhead console and separately controlled temperature for driver and front passenger is added to the T&C LX or GC SE Plus. ;)
    DaimlerChrysler has so many different discount and rebate programs that it makes a buyer wonder when to buy.
    The original owner of my 2002 T&C LX was not pleased when DC added an additional $1,000 rebate a few months after the minivan was purchased in 2002.
  • megan2megan2 Member Posts: 3
    I am considering buying a T&C with Luxury, Leather & DVD packages. I think that $24,500 is too high but I am not sure. If anyone bought the same or similar vehicle, plese let me know the price you paid so that I don't pay more than I should. Thanks.
  • charlotte7charlotte7 Member Posts: 144
    When I went to go test drive a T&C a week ago, the salesman told me that the 06 models will not have the 7 year powertrain warranty that the 05s have. They will have a 3 year warranty instead. Why would Chrysler be cutting their warranty this way? Anyone know?
    I asked this too yesterday at the Dodge dealer. They said since their competitors were lowering their PowerTrain Warranties - they didn't feel they needed to pay for the repairs since competitors weren't, so they followed suite.
    So I took your advice on negotiating and went to look at the Dogdge Caravan SXT since it looks like a very similar car to the T&C. Found one with package I wanted, and after EP and rebate came to $21,073 (Included Bronze paint, 2nd row Bucket seats, entertainment package, etc.) This time, I tried to make it clear I didn't want to spend more than $18,000 before he even should me a car. I said how I liked the car, but it was too much. I kept throwing out numbers and finally made it to $20,000....but he kept saying that the EP minus rebate is as low as they can go. So I told him I would have to sleep on it.

I just want to hear if someone has negotiated a price (without trade-in) that is lower than EP minus trade in this month so I know if I can get them lower. $20,000 might be a stretch, but $20,500 should be OK, right?

BTW, this dealer is offering a Christmas in July deal - pick an envelop of the tree and get an additional $500 - $5000 off. I figure at a minimum, the $500 would cover taxes, tags, fees, and dealer-add ons.
    I think that you can get a lower price. I think that the deal that I have on the table is lower than EP minus incentives and rebates. I am going to buy a T&C with Luxury Package, Leather Package & Rear Seat Video System. I left a $24,500 offer on the table and walked out. I am waiting to hear from others if they think I can do better. Good Luck!
    I've had different answers from different dealers:

Does the FWD model come with Wireless Headphones for the DVD system, or do I have to listen to the DVD through my speakers? If not included, can I just buy the wireless headphones from anywhere?
    Stupidity. With Toyota having a 5 year 60,000 mile warranty, DC is cutting their own throat since most people perceive DaimlerChrysler having reliability lower than Toyota. :cry:
    I like my 2002 T&C LX but would not have even considered a Chrysler or Dodge without the 7 year 100,000 mile powertrain warranty and the 7 year 75,000 Additional DC warranty that covers almost everything else.
    Well, the saga continues. Went to the 4th Chrysler/Dodge dealer in the area and sound the T&C that I like. Price minus EP minus Rebates plus taxes, tags, add-ons = $20,357. I walked out the door last night, but they kept moving down on this price. I was glad to finally find a dealer who would talk. I think I should be able to get them at least to $19,500.

It is the SWB FWD model with a bunch of features I was looking for. MSRP was about $25,000.
    Your area dealers are more willing to negotiate.
    I sent e-mail for 4 dealers stating I would like to know the lowest actual selling price of a NEW 2005 GC SXT with no options and MSRP $27,725. NOT one has replied with an e-mail quote.
    Salesmen have called telling me to come see what they have while selection is still good as they are just flying out the door. Funny thing, as I check their online inventory, the same ones I specifically asked about are still there.
    Meanwhile, Honda salesman gave me NO B.S. and told me their best price (which is not as good as my nephew got last November 30 on a new 2005 Ody EX). When I asked the salesman, he said November is normally a slow month and I too might be able to get a $3,301 discount from MSRP on a cloth Ody EX.
    Downside is that my nephew did NOT get the color he wanted. I doubt it is worth saving $1,000 to $1,500 to not get the exact vehicle I want. :cry:
  • kayode_65kayode_65 Member Posts: 5
    On Saturday I put in an offer to buy a 2002 grand caravan sport with 57k miles for $11000 out of the door. Looked clean had all the extras that I want like pwr lift/g, compass etc. I then got a call to see a T&C 2001 LXI with leather, video system, pwr lift etc. I am not sure if it is front or all wheel drive yet as this one is from a Toyota dealer and they still have it in the back for what they call recon therefore the sales guys have not put together all the info yet. If all is well we have agreed a price of $11850 out of the door . This one had 42kmiles.

My questions are this

1) Is this a reasonable price? 2) From all you experts our their what are the things that I should look out for, any known technical issues with these vehicles. I have been reading a lot on transmission problems with the Chrysler vehicles. I will be buying additional warranty on the vehicle.

As I am buying from a reputable Toyota or Dodge dealership, Do I need an independent Carfax report? ( I ask this as I am from the UK and first time that I will be buying a vehicle in the states)

Finally which of the two vehicles do people recommend? I know the T&C is 3.8 litres and the G/Caravan is 3.3.

Your opinions will be appreciated as well as any advise when I go to test drive the vehicles what things should I check for.

Thank in advance
    Flip a coin but get the Carfax report. Based on owning a 2002 T&C LX with 3.3L V6, I would personally prefer the 02 GC Sport since it is from a Dodge dealership and you would be getting a genuine DaimlerChrysler extended warranty.
    Neither the GC Sport nor T&C LXi will have the acceleration of a Sienna or Odyssey and DC transmissions have a noticeable whine. However, a used 2002 GC Sport will cost about half the price of a used 2002 Sienna LE or Ody EX. :blush: :confuse:
  • ruben12312ruben12312 Member Posts: 2
    I this the Town & Country Touring with the Luxy Group, Leather, & DVD LCD for $24,500? Thats the van I am looking for but the best price I have received is $29,867.35 OUT THE DOOR PRICE with out trade ins. If any one knows where I can get it cheaper, please let me know.
  • kfdmedkfdmed Member Posts: 130
    What did it sticker for? If this is the LWB T&C Touring loaded up with those options 24500 would be a great deal.
  • sammonsammon Member Posts: 3
    I am looking at a 2003 T&C Limited with 34000 fully loaded asking price is 19995 what is a reasonable price to start negotiating with the dealer. It has full power doors seats rear liftgate cd dvd leather ect. I am in Ohio
    I am looking at a 2003 T&C Limited with 34000 fully loaded asking price is 19995 what is a reasonable price to start negotiating with the dealer. It has full power doors seats rear liftgate cd dvd leather ect. I am in Ohio . :confuse: ">
  • dennisctcdennisctc Member Posts: 1,168
    for $20k, you're almost talking new Minivan price. Why not investigate a brand new one.
    But to get one laid out with all the bells and whistles your looking more at 35000 plus.
    I went back to pick up the vehicle and SLAM -- the deal changed. I also had a friend wiht me who was going to buy at the same time. The Gnerela Manager told us that the salesperson apparently overstepped his bounds - -even though the price was in writing -- the general manager said that it was an "Approximate" In any event, they now tel me that their best deal is $26,300 for the same car. DON'T THINK SO -- at least not at that dealership. :mad:
    WALK...or RUN away from those crooked, dishonest dealerships. :lemon:
    Didn't the salesperson get a manager approval on the deal before you took it and left? :confuse:
  • rlimbachrlimbach Member Posts: 9
    I'm in the same boat. Looking for 05 DGC SXT, no options. Faxed and talked to many dealers lowest I got a quote on was 21242.00 That's below the employee pricing ad they are running. I told them wouldn't go above 20000.00. Then I noticed last week MSRP dropped 400.00. All I hear is no dealer at this time will go 19500.00 or even 20000.00. Well I'll wait then, I don't have to buy know, but they have to sell soon. 06 is coming. Any word when?
    Same thing happened to me. Got a price quote on a05 DGC SXT. Told them it wasn't good enough. The next day received a email from the general sales manager asking why it wasn't good enough. and also saying thankfully I didn't accept it because he would have gotten in trouble with his general manager. What a bunch of crap, they just can't throw out prices without getting it approved. I believe it was a line to get me to believe how great of a price I was passing up. They can be so sneaky
    Only one dealership gave me a selling price for a 2005 GC SXT with Power Lift Gate and Power Adjustable Pedals: $23,205 for the GC SXT that had MSRP on window sticker of $28,320. Dodge web site stated $23,147. Neither dealer that had the base GC SXT with MSRP $27,725 would give me a quote. They just called to ask me to come down and see what they had as they were going fast. :sick:
    Needless to say, I am waiting to see what is available as 2006 models in Grand Caravan, Sienna, and Odyssey. ;) since no more 2005 GC or Ody are being built.
    any idea when 06 caravans will hit the lot. I seen Ford has the Freestar available already. Dodge has to be soon behind them.
  • mrblonde49mrblonde49 Member Posts: 626
    Keep in mind that the 2006 powertrain warranty will be reduced from the current 7/70 to 3/36.
    IF DaimlerChrysler reduces the warranty, their sales will free fall if Toyota keeps the 5/60 and Kia keeps their long warranty. :sick:
    A friend traded in a 2002 Honda Accord for a new 2005 Toyota Camry instead of getting a new 2005 Accord partly because of the longer Toyota warranty. ;)
  • greener1greener1 Member Posts: 37
    i would be real leery of purchasing a 2006 with less tranny warranty, my 2005 transmission was replaced at 1,500 miles, i started having gear noises at 87 miles plus other issues, told them i wanted a new replacement car, guess what? they replaced tranny, i told them no one would purchase the vehicle with all the gear whine and rear end noises, not even the dealer would want it back, was in shop so far almost 3 weeks for all issues, one more week and its a lemon, meaning any more transmission problems, i will file lemon claim, i like product for all features, but the quality issue for chrysler vans sucks as far as i am concerned, i feel at the mileage i started having issues they should have replaced van, so be sure you take your new van out for a drive of at least 50-60 miles before purchasing, look inside doors for unfinished paint spots, under hood where you pick it up i had severe paint overruns, felt like raindrops waiting to fall, even a bit of flaking when i tried to wax it on one of the doors, dont just check exterior paint, rolling locks issue, and a new muffler and tailpipe system because of glasspack sounding muffler system, what a miserable new car purchase, and i hope chrysler loses a few sales because of my reply :lemon:
  • veritasusaveritasusa Member Posts: 72
    Interesting, my 2005 T&C Touring now has about 400 miles on it and I'm finding it noisier at slow speeds than at highway speeds. I hear a distinct medium-pitched whine when in any indirect gear, especially first or second, and also hear a lower-pitched noise in any gear that reminds me of exhaust burbling through the pipes. I'm certain the latter is not tire noise. I think I am going to have to test drive another one or two new ones to see if this is endemic to the model. I never had such noises in either my 92 Dodge GC with the 3.3 engine or in my 99 T&C Limited with the 3.8.
  • rktechrktech Member Posts: 25
    ...you know, off hand, I'd say that my 04 T&C Limited is noisier than my 01 T&C...tire noise may be the issue for me, but I'm saying that the whole driving experience is noisier...it's as if Chrysler revamped their noise reduction materials in an effort to reduce their production costs a bit. I'm looking to switch to a Honda in part because of the noisier ride.
    Every Honda Odyssey I have driven IS NOISIER than my 2002 T&C LX. DC minivans have always been quieter than the Odyssey.
    Apparently your more expensive 04 T&C Limited is not as quiet as my low end T&C LX or the other DC minivans I have been in. :blush:
    before my tranny was replaced, a TSB was done, so chrysler knows about this, but the TSB did not fix it, i had the whine up to almost 60 mph, louder at low end speeds, less at higher speeds, and these sounds went clear to the rear end of car, i thought it might be tires, etc., the repalced tranny has eliminated ALL NOISES, so the problem was fixed, the thing that made me upset, was the repair bill said it was replaced due to customer satisfaction, yeah right, if the replacement eliminated the noises, what did my satisfaction have to do with it, it was a faulty transmision, i heard that the tooling tolerances on some of the earlier trannys in this underbody stow and go change were to blame, i dont know for sure but the hassle i had to go through for a new car purchase at 80 miles on odometer then not fixing it until 1,500 miles plus the OTHER ISSUES I had were unbelievable, as i said, be sure to demo drive that so called 2005 new van (mine's now remanufactured) for at least 50-60 miles to be sure you dont get one with a bad tranny, chrysler still hasnt got their act together as far as i am concerned :lemon:
  • rktechrktech Member Posts: 25
    ...well around town, I don't mind the noise, but on the highway the decibel level just seems to climb beyond semi-luxury car standards...sigh...alas...
  • fizzyhairfizzyhair Member Posts: 20
    2005 Grand Caravan SXT with no other options for $379 a month for 48 months lease taxes included (Canadian). Or Grand Caravan SE with Stow 'n go (2'nd row) for $329 a month taxes included. Which do you guys think is the better deal? Should I spring for the SXT or stay with the SE? :confuse:
    Depends on the features you want. :confuse:
    There are many levels of GC SE from very basic to almost as well equipped as the no extra options GC SXT. The base GC SXT is a very well equipped vehicle and is a good deal if you want most of the features standard on the GC SXT.
    If you want the separately controlled temperature for driver and front passenger and the overhead console with compass/outside temperature and trip computer, the GC SE will cost about as much as the GC SXT and you will still have far fewer features to include power sliding doors on each side, cast wheels, the smaller 3.3L on GC SE vs 3.8L on GC SXT, cheaper trim on the front doors, fog lamps, radio controls on the steering wheel....and maybe even more.
    If you do not want the bucket seats in middle, row separately controlled temperature, cast wheels, the larger engine, etc. you can save $ 50 a month for 48 months by buying the cheaper GC SE. (or $2,400). ;)
    After owning a 2002 T&C LX for a year, I would not want the cheaper GC SE as we enjoy having many of the optional features of the GC SE that are standard on the GC SXT.
    Thanks for the reply. In Canada the SXT does not come with dual power sliding doors, they are an option. I will probably go with the SXT but will have to think about it.
    One power sliding door is a $400 option on the short wheel base Caravan SXT so 2 would be $800. The power sliding doors are not important to us.
    I would recommend the GC SXT unless your budget suggests getting the GC SE. The seats are identical in the 2 if you get 2nd row bucket seats in the GC SE but you get all the extras in the GC SXT for a bargain price....compared to getting the items as options in the GC SE. ;)
  • dennisctcdennisctc Member Posts: 1,168
    2005 Grand Caravan SXT with no other options for $379 a month for 48 months lease taxes included (Canadian). Or Grand Caravan SE with Stow 'n go (2'nd row) for $329 a month taxes included. Which do you guys think is the better deal? Should I spring for the SXT or stay with the SE?

Wow!!!! I think these monthly payments sound really high, even if you're talking Canadian dollars!!!!! I think I saw GC SXT for $189/month here in Detroit for 3 year lease?? I'd keep shopping!!!

As long as you have Stow N Go, I don't think you can go wrong....love mine!! Just got back from Simcoe Ontario camping....18mpg pulling loaded RV and family!! The space and flexibility is great!!
    I forgot to mention, that was with a $5500 trade in. Now, I saw a SXT with power doors, liftgate, dvd player and a few other stuff for $399 a month with $3000 down. That's without taxes and what not. I'm just confused as my dealer told me that SXT's are in high demand so they can't really go down in price alot, and that every dealer with sell for around that same price. I'm looking at the Sienna right now, and I like it, but the payments are high. Either way which do you think is the better deal ($379 or $399)?
    I purchased a T & C 2005 back in July and made it clear that I would only purchase a model with the installed DVD package if the wireless headphone system worked...otherwise I would buy a model without and go with an after market product. Well, I bought the car because they told me it would work. I went to try it out and nothing. I took the car in for them to look at it and they could not figure it out. Now it turns out they are telling me the model I purchased does not come with the DVD player with the wirless headphones. I am not happy with this dealer right now. I hope they respond by installing the proper DVD system at no charge to me, but if they do not, is there anything I can do?

I do have recorded phone messages left by the dealership on my answering machine where he called me back and verified that the wireless system would work with this particular vehicle.
  • fish8fish8 Member Posts: 2,282
    What T&C model did you buy? The DVD only works through the speakers? Do you have any in writing other than on your answering machine?

If you have anything in wrinting it should make it easier for you to get resolution. if not, it will be more difficult. I would not be obnoxious with the dealer. I would calmly ask for resolution and I would talk to the GM or owner of the dealership.

Good Luck!!
  • veritasusaveritasusa Member Posts: 72
    greener1 - How old is your car? What is the TSB # for the transmission noise and what dates does it cover?

I ask because my T&C Touring manufactured in June 05 and purchased july 14 began making (or increasing) a variety of noises at about 100 miles (14 miles on clock delivered). These noises got progressively worse until stabilizing at about 300 miles. I just returned from third trip to the dealer (68miles round trip - I sure wish the dealer closest to me had had one in stock with the equipment I wanted). The service manager and I drove mine and also another Touring from the lot, one which I had driven on Monday to prove to myself that I wasn't losing my mind when I was told for the second time that the sounds coming from my car were normal. The service manager says that, to his ears, the Touring from the lot is noisier than mine. Rubbish!

The three primary sources of noise are:

1. The exhaust system. The motorboat sound that only showed as a very subdued sound on acceleration now is a much louder noise that shows up strong at about 1500 RPM and is maddening by 2000 RPM, no matter what road speed. At interstate cruising speeds it is a steady growling, drumming noise that even drowns out:

2 The A/C compressor that whines at lower engine speeds and moans at at higher speeds. At low speeds around town, this competes with the exhaust noise for the most irritating sound. At low speeds and with the A/C off, the third noise is most apparent:

3. The transmission whines loudly in all indirect gears. Neither my 92 Grand Caravan or my 99 T&C Limited had transmissions that made even half so much noise.

Mixed in with these sounds are the sounds from my tires. In the five other DC Stow n Go minivans I have driven or have ridden in, small road bumps at lower speeds are felt, but not heard. In my car, the bumps are heard as well. Tire noise is about what I would expect from OE tires and have been easily eliminated as the source of any unusual noises.

Also, the driver's side window air deflector which I had installed by the dealer makes a rather loud wind noise at any speed over 30 mph. The passenger's side (and all the deflectors on other DC minivans I am familiar with) makes only a soft burble at worst, even though the adhesive strip holding it at the front refuses to stay stuck. The dealer has ordered another set.

About the only way I can think of to describe what I hear from the driver's or front passenger's seats is to say it is as if all the sound deadening materials between the engine bay / front wheel openings had fallen out between 80 and 200 miles of usage.

As of now, It will be August 31 before the regional tech service guy will next be at my dealer. If he gives no satisfaction, I will invite the owner of the dealership, who also drive a T&C at the moment, to drive my car and decide if it is really one he wants to have his name on.

If still no satisfaction after that, I reckon it will be a case of finding some deaf guy who I can unload this car on and hoping that the 2006 KIA Sedona will be better. The 1977 Dodge Aspen I bought new back then was bad enough to put me off Chrysler products for 15 years. This van could be enough to put off them for life!
    Be persistent w/rep when he comes in, my five star dealer was first class in solving my problems, even though i am still not satisfied as i feel i got a lemon, in that all that had to be done to it to make it a so called new or remanufactured van, purchased jan. 11, 2005, and was an early build van, w/54 miles, noticed multiple noises on acceleration, gear whine, rear noises, all of which after a NEW tranny was replaced were gone, dealer and service manager and salesman all tried it out and agreed on sounds, i told them i drove a rental T&C 2005 they gave me when they replaced muffler system for those noises and had NO transmission sounds on that model from enterprise, as i said, they did the TSB on tranny,(didn't solve problem,) do not know the number, u can do a web search on 2005 chrysler TSB's and it will show up, also the muffler system, because of the rerouting of it for the stow and go, the early models apparently made the glass pack sounds, and when a new system was installed, guess what, those sounds are gone, now i just have to find time to have paint issues taken care of, someone said in earlier post didn't i check car, i did check car, but when washing it in spring, noticed on door edges when one runs finger along it, and backside of door panels were like when putting together something that holds door stuck to it leaving paint off, also some sledge on bottom or door panels just broke off, exposing bare metal, and on hood where one picks up hood to check oil, all across where ones fingers lift it up one could feel like raindrops or sharp edges where paint ran over the slope of the hood, all these reasons for me being so dissatisfied with my purchase, chrysler builds a good product with innovation, just hasnt get their act together on how to put it all together into a decent product, van now is extremely quiet, as what was advertised when this new model came out, it was to be 16 percent quieter, mine was 16 percent louder, they opened a file on my car because of all the issues i had on it, when they hemmed and hawed, they had my 0 percent interest loan, i finally told them no one, even the dealer would not purchase the car with all the noises and problems i had, i wanted a new van, then and only then did they decide to put a new tranny in, and guess what, the consumer was right, and they had the gall to put on the service order it was replaced due to customer satisfaction, yeah right, they just didn't want a major recall on early models as far as i am concerned and with no sounds now i was right, they were evasive on the issue, buyer beware STILL with chrysler products
  • transcend73transcend73 Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased a Town & Country base model for 17,960. This included the employee pricing program and a $1500 rebate from Chrysler. This price matches the Edmunds TMV price I found out on this site. Does Edmunds factor in the employee discount when calculating the TMV?

I attempted to negotiate a lower price on the base model minivan with three dealers in the area and none of them would go lower than this price which is MSRP - Employee discount - $1500 rebate. Did I get ripped off?

I don't pick up the vehicle until tomorrow morning.

Thanks for your help!