Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus LS 400/LS 430 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• fun1fun1 Member Posts: 18
    Hi gteach,

I am looking to Lease the '05 LS430 w/ UL package-3 yr lease with 16-17k miles per yr(prepay for extra miles). I already own '02 LS430(it has 61,000 miles). I will be trying to negotiate a lease price for the vehicle. I am getting it with PCS(pre collission system) etc. Could you suggest what would be good price. I am in DC area, planning on buying from Lexus of Rockville
  • michael_mattoxmichael_mattox Member Posts: 813
    Mitch:

I don't think TEXAS is a good place to buy an LS..They do very little Discounting compared to the Mid-west and California...

My state is like Texas (Washington) The Wife and I ended up buying our car in California, Flew Down and drove it back..Saved $4,000 ...Had a nice two week vacation on the $4,000.
  • mitch5mitch5 Member Posts: 5
    Thanks Michael
    Sounds like a quick trip to Kansas might payoff.
  • cove148cove148 Member Posts: 117
    "Message #6616
    As the end of Nov30 I paid only $52988 for 2005LS430 with must have option sticker price $59144 Anybody like to buy one call Park Place Lexus in Grapevine Tx Tel.817 4163100"

Houston dealers won't work with you. Dallas dealers will. The price in the above post is still fairly accurate.
  • mitch5mitch5 Member Posts: 5
    Great, thanks for the response. How dificult was it to accomplish your discount? End of month trick or anything else used?
  • gteach26gteach26 Member Posts: 576
    Hey fun1...

I leased a 430 with the modern lux package -- you're looking at the top of the line model with all of the toys.

2 major items will affect your deal -- the availability of UL's with pre-collision in your area and the competition (or lack of) between Lexus dealers in the D.C. area.

Where I'm at (South Florida) we've got 5 Lexus dealerships within an hour's drive of each other and the competition for your business is FIERCE at times.

To determine the lowest possible CAP cost for my deal I subscribed to the Consumer Reports Car Pricing Service. Edmunds free TMV calculation is useful but not as thorough as the the CR one. Once I had CR's "wholesale value" (MSRP minus incentives, holdback, etc) I went to Carman ("Lease questions ask here" forum) on this site to get the latest sign-and-drive lease rates and residual values on the car I wanted. With that info I was able to determine a low-end lease price.

Then I just got plain lucky. I found a salesman and a dealer that had the car with the specs I wanted AND they needed to unload a car at the end of the month to meet a bonus quota. Not only did his price come in significantly below my own estimates, he DROVE the car to my house to do the sales presentation and we signed the deal on my dining room table. I NEVER stepped foot in the dealership!

If D.C. doesn't have a competitive market and the UL's with pre-collision are in tight supply over there you just might be at the mercy of the dealership.

Bottom line, I'd get the "wholesale" cap cost from the CR pricing service, get the lease rates and residuals from Carman, and then send your nearest dealer an email stating that you received an offer from another dealership for the price you've come up with. Offer to lease the car TODAY if they can beat the current "offer" you have on the table. If they have the car and they are willing to deal -- you'll get the car.

Also, go to the main Lexus site and calculate your lease price using their calculator tool. This will give you a HIGH-END, expensive lease price that you can use to know if you're being gouged on a lease offer. The good thing with the Lexus lease tool is that they have the current lease rates built into the calculator AND you can fiddle with the car's price to see how your payment changes. Still though, I've found that the payments given on the Lexus site are on the high side and are of value only as a high-range estimate.

Good luck!! Let us know what happens!!
  • hpowdershpowders Member Posts: 4,330
    I have been to the Lexus site and used their lease-calculating tool. It is an effective upper-limit.
    I will be "hitting" many of those Florida dealers in July.
    Good info. gteach26!
    Thanks a bunch Gteach26, i went by the dealership today and picked blk on blk color. The PCS or pre-collision system in ULs' is only available as mfg install. Its 3 1/2 months for delivery. I am eager to get the new car(avoiding to put more miles on my existing 02 UL LS430). So planning on buying by Wed 3/23. So will pass up on PCS system. I will look into the rest of the info you provoded to get the best possible lease pricing. Thanks so much for your comprehensive response. will let you know about the deal. Wish me luck
    Hi Gteach, thanks for you assitance. I bought my new '05 LS 430 UL w/ XM radio and remote access plus remote engine start. Black exterior with blk interior. Leased for $67,000. 36 month term. Payments @ $1,335 per mo. Prepaid mileage at 17,500 per yr. I have Blue tooth capable Blackberry(7100) which i am hopeful will sync with the communication system. A bit concerned about having private conversation? Do you have experience with this?
  • dtestadtesta Member Posts: 12
    Wow, you got remote start? My dealer said the shop they work with can't figure it out. The SmartAccess is the problem for them. Can you tell me anything about your remote start system? You bought it form Lexus of Rockville, Md, right? Do you happen to know the name of the installation shop they worked with?

Thanks.
  • cove148cove148 Member Posts: 117
    Remote start.. Very popular add on item at your Toyota dealer. Suggest checking with your nearest one.
    Congrats fun1!!!

You got the top of the line of one of the best cars on the planet -- you just can't go wrong. You payments blow my lease budget out of the water though -- you could almost get two modern lux's for the price of an ultra!! But hey -- you got the best of the best with all of the toys, PLUS a ton of miles prepaid upfront -- ENJOY!!

As to bluetooth and private conversations -- I always assume that ANY conversation that leaves my lips nowadays on ANY PHONE is not private. Ditto with email. If I want something to stay private it stays in my head! Luckily though, I don't have many "top secret" topics I can't blab about on my cell phone. In any case, I think bluetooth connections are secure, but I'd assume that anyone who really WANTS to eavesdrop on your phone calls will find a way to do it regardless!! Just like home security systems... no matter how much you spend on them or how advanced they are, if someone REALLY wants in -- they'll get in.

Anyhow...Good luck... congrats.... and HAVE FUN!!! See you over in the LS430 discussion forum!
  • famwaldfamwald Member Posts: 114
    I always assume that ANY conversation ..... nowadays on ANY PHONE is not private ..... I'd assume that anyone who really WANTS to eavesdrop on your phone calls will find a way to do it regardless!!

FWIW, I saw something a few weeks ago on the national network news about some young fellows who rigged up a device that looked like a small satellite dish connected to their electronic equipment, and they were picking up every cell phone call within a few hundred yards. The point of the story was that cell phone calls are not necessarily "private."
    My Lexus dealer installs remote starters. They just can't figure it out for cars with SmartAccess. Since Fun1 got a UL, his car has SmartAccess. So how'd they do it?

Just to add to the confusion- Fun1 said he was shopping at Lexus of Rockville. I contacted their service department. They said they would never install any aftermarket equipment on a car for fear of voiding the customer's warranty. Hmmm.
  • hpowdershpowders Member Posts: 4,330
    Decided to see if there were positive correlations in Florida for Elite of Lexus status vs. satisfactory ratings with the Florida Better Business Bureau.
    I was shocked to find that one of the dealers I was thinking of negotiating with this summer has Elite Status but also has a negative rating with the Florida BBB. This dealer has refused to answer the BBB's inquiries regarding customer complaints.
    I intend to call Lexus headquarters Monday morning to inquire about this.
    Be careful out there!
    Regards,
    hpowders
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,147
    Let's talk about non-pricing issues over in our Lexus LS Owners Club.

kirstie_h
    Roving Host
    Host, Future Vehicles & Smart Shopper discussions

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

A magazine reporter is hoping to speak with a recent Lexus buyer who traded out of a Cadillac, or at least test drove a Cadillac as part of their shopping experience. Please respond to jfallon@edmunds.com with your daytime phone number and a few words about your choice no later than Tuesday, April 12, 2005.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Hi Gteach26,

You will be happy to hear that i followed your advice to the T. Got the pricing from CR. Then got dealer quotes over the net locally, then went in for the purchase. Excellent suggestions. Was well informed about MSRP and Invoice and the rest. Thanks again.

I took delivery of my new smelling, shimmering blk on blk '05 LS 430 w/ UL on March 31. Absolutely love it. Drives like a charm. The XM radio is fab. My salesman is having the valet key converted to remote engine start key with a chip in it--for the main key to perform the same function they have to be simultaneously computer/chip coded or something like that. It can be done in 1/2 a day. They have thrown in LoJact theft detterent system, also a 5 year dink/dent removal coverage(by an external vendor) for encore customer and gave me favorable money factor. It is quite enjoyable to drive the car around w/o the key inserted. The Valet key works great. Their is more detail and quicker response on the Nav system. The headlamp is really bright. Its quite a head turner, Blk on Blk configuration. Looks sassy. Now if i can only sell me '02 LS 430 UL for a reasonable price i would be a happy camper. Yes the monthly lease is a bit higher then what i was paying for my old cars financing. But i have a business that will make these payments (CPA firm)
  • tlmmkm1tlmmkm1 Member Posts: 1
    fun1-I am looking for a 02 or 03 LS 430 UL if you are selling yours---our local dealer (Savannah) is always 5-10k higher than those in FL but have yet to find the "right" one. if interested, i will post email address. thanks.
    Hi tlmmkm1, Yes ,first i am ecstatic about my new '05 LS 430. My '02 LS 430 is in mint condition( i really mean mint condition). I enjoyed the comfy ride so much it has 61,500 miles(bought in Jan '02). It appears that Lexus dealerships are connecterd so one can pull maintenance records at any dealership.I financed mine, so still owe on it, need to find the payout. Its Pearl White exterior with Ecru interior and gray birds maple interior(this was discontinued after '02). I will be in the process of getting it ready for sale in the next few days and transferring Nav information from old to new. my email fundncr@aol.com
    Hi dtesta, I see there is some concern about remote start. I dont have it installed yet, but have been informed by both the services manager and sales manager that its 1/2 day job along w/ installation of Lojack.
    gteach26, as for privacy of conversation i implied privacy from other passengers in the car. i some times have kids in the backseat and dont want their chatter to interfere with a business or private call.
    Well, this will be interesting to see if you get your remote start. I hope you do so there's hope for me! I'd appreciate it if you report back on this this. Either this forum or the Lexus LS forum would be great.
    Hi dtesta,

Have not had the time yet to install remote start. Plan to get it done this week. Its from a third party vendor approved by Lexus. Will keep you posted
  • dpjdpj Member Posts: 16
    Would you mind telling me what you were able to get your lease for (MSRP, Cap Cost, Residual, Money Factor, Length of Lease and Miles) and where you are located (I live in Southern California)? I am very interested in the '05 LS430 and would like some help with where to start negotiating from.

Thanks!
  • florida1florida1 Member Posts: 42
    --What's a good lease price for 2005 LS (inv 63K)---36mos, 12K per, no cap but down?

I'm on the verge of sitting down to "make a deal"

Thank you for the support
  • 00boxsters00boxsters Member Posts: 202
    I paid $799/month for 15K/36months with modern package.
  • florida1florida1 Member Posts: 42
    Thanks for the reply, it's useful to me---Any cap buy down $?
    I (only vaguely now) recall that I put down /paid at pick up $1900 which included the first months lease payment and TTL. I think there was mention of a small cap reduction in there. Security fee also?

MSRP: 62,734
    Cap Cost: 56,344
    residual value: 34,503.70
    money factor: .00155
    I leased a Modern lux LS430 in Florida back in December. Message #162 has all of my lease details. If you have excellent credit, are willing to buy NOW, and can take a car from dealer inventory, you can get a GREAT deal on an LS in South Florida.

Depending on dealership/credit/ etc. you're looking at between $700-$800 INCL tax per month for 36 months 36K total miles on an 05 LS with modern lux package (around 63K MSRP). Anything lower than that monthly price is being unrealistic, anything over and you are overpaying in the South Florida market.

If you can do a deal for under $750 per month (incl taxes) with less than $1,500 out of pocket to start then TAKE IT!

Overall, expect to pay around 1.5K at startup (first payment, fees, etc.).

Use email to do your negotiating. Let them know you are SERIOUS about leasing a car TODAY. Get your FICO/Beacon score online at www.fico.com and tell them what your credit score is -- this tells them you are a SERIOUS buyer. A hungry dealer/sales person will do ANYTHING to get you into the car. I had my car delivered to my doorstep (dealer is an hour's drive away) did the test drive in my neighborhood and signed the paperwork in my dining room. I was blown away!

Good luck!! This is one FANTASTIC CAR!!!
  • michael88michael88 Member Posts: 10
    I will be buying a new LS 430 Mod. Lux. in July. May I have your views and suggestions for the lowest target price I should be expecting to pay. I also need the names of dealerships in California [the Bay area is my first preference] you would recommend I contact.

I live in the Seattle area and the lowest price quoted to me is $61k. I have read on the forum that this is not unusual for Seattle and the alternative is to buy in California.
  • michael_mattoxmichael_mattox Member Posts: 813
    Michael:

I live on Whidbey Island and did find a much better price at Longo Lexus in So. California...However you really need to shop around...and Factor in the price to Fly to California to pick it up or the price to have it shipped up...(About $1000 to $1500)...
  • yickwoyickwo Member Posts: 54
    I purchased a '05 LS430, Modern Lux. Pkg., smart key, preferred accessory (mats, nets and locks etc.) and 18" wheels. MSRP 62,734 - paid $55,422 plus TTL back in Feb. from Lexus of Cerritos in So.Cal. I had a great experience with them. I did shop Longo. While their price was close, it was slightly higher. Plus, I did not like their attitude.

I received an email from another so.cal dealer on 4/18/05 for in stock Modern Lux.

BLACK/BLACK
    GOLD/IVORY
    SILVER/GREY or
    SILVER/BLACK

MSRP: $63,284
    YOUR PRICE: NOW $55,499*!!!!
    (*Does not include tax, license or doc. fee - good thru 4/26/05)

Hope this helps.
    Hi dpj,

I got my new '05 LS 430 UL with remote engine start for MSRP $72,000(change). I did not negotiate, but showed them other dealer quotes via the net for $66,900. The dealership offered $67,000 (all said and done with XM radio). I bought 17,500 miles upfront on my 3 yr lease. I dont have all the rest of the figures handy. But can post those later.
    Congrats and enjoy!
  • michael88michael88 Member Posts: 10
    Thanks yickwo, great information. Also appreciate the heads up on considering sipping the LS to Seattle.

Very helpful Michael88
    Hi dtesta,

I got remote engine start installed on my '05 LS 430, UL. It works very nicely. Has a range 1/4 mile to remote engine start. They have coded my original key with access. So the door lock portion works as remote engine start. You have to press it three times. The unlock portion of original key is disabled. They gave me three extra remotes for unlocking and remote engine turn off. It is quite impressive. If you need further info. get in touch.
  • aggie76aggie76 Member Posts: 266
    What is the manufacturer and model of your remote start? I've got an '04 and there are times that this would be useful.
  • howard57howard57 Member Posts: 2
    I have priced LS430's at two Northern Virginia dealerships, and the best pricing is $59,191 for a custom, and $57,050 for a modern. I know I can do better out of the area, but are these prices customary for the market? Thanks,
    Hey, that's great. Thanks for following up. I'll try contacting your dealer again (Lexus of Rockville, MD as I recall). I'll talk to the sales department as their service department disavowed any knowledge of remote start. They did install it at the dealership, right?
  • pingpng50pingpng50 Member Posts: 16
    talk to a manager at lexus of rockville. avoid the salespeople who are not authorized to talk about their minimum over dealer cost they can accept. dont pay more than $1500 over dealer cost there. you may be able to do better. I found the virginia dealerships and lexus of silver spring to be uncompetitive. bottom i think lexus of rockville will beat virginia by more than 1500 dollars. worth the drive eh?
  • howard57howard57 Member Posts: 2
    definitely worth the drive; thanks.
  • legendmanlegendman Member Posts: 362
    Any prognostications as to when is the best time to buy this car?

Also, anyone here opted for the Euro tuned suspension, and if so, how do you like it?

Thanks in advance!
  • sv7887sv7887 Member Posts: 351
    Legendman,
    Most people are able to get 12% off with some haggling these days. The LS is really a mature car now, as it is has been around since September 2000. Lexus normally gives the car a minor facelift mid cycle to keep it competitive until the new one comes out. Most people think we'll see the new one mid '07.
    I had the Euro Suspension on my last LS. It was stiff for my tastes, but if you're a performance orientated driver you will like it. Be warned tire life is pretty bad on those cars, and if you live in snow country you will need a rim and snow tire set.

SV
    Most people here definitely think it'll be 2007, since we've got an active 2007 Lexus LS discussion!

kirstie_h
    Roving Host
    Host, Future Vehicles & Smart Shopper discussions

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR

• pingpng50pingpng50 Member Posts: 16
    I ordered a LS 430 with 17 inch wheels more than a month ago and havent received notice that the car is even being built yet. Anybody know about how long a wait i should expect?
  • dpjdpj Member Posts: 16
    Hello All,

Picked up my black on black LS430 / Modern Lux / Smart Access on 4/28 from Lexus of Cerritos.

Gross Cap Cost - $56,163 ($55,090 purchase price + $400 prepaid maintenance + $45 doc prep fee + $600 acquisition fee + $28 "other charges")
    Drive Off - $1,800 (included $518 cap cost reduction, $419 title and reg, first payment and some taxes and tire fees)
    36 months / 15,000 miles per year
    Payment: $797

4 days later received an e-mail from another lexus dealer I had been negotiating with via my e-mail blast offering $799 and throwing in the drive off bit it was too late! I did follow the helpful information provided here. Met with several dealers, used the pricing others have been given on this forum even though the 0.00155 lease factor isn't available as in March, did an e-mail blast to all dealers in So. Cal (only heard back from 4 of 22 but the one gave me the price I negotiated from) then went back to my local dealer at the end of the month and got the deal. It turns out I left some money on the table but I feel pretty good about my deal.

Absolutely Loving The LS!!!
    Congrats. Enjoy your car, you got a good deal.
  • chowmaumau1chowmaumau1 Member Posts: 4
    Anyone have a great experience at a local Dallas dealership? Thanks!
This discussion has been closed.