Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus LS 400/LS 430 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• rgswrgsw Member Posts: 333
    http://www.lexusofalbuquerque.com
    has a contact off of their web site.
  • stomp32stomp32 Member Posts: 38
    My dealer offered an 05 ultra at $2500 over invoice right off the bat. It took very little negotiating to get it down to invoice (I just kept telling them I was gonna have to sleep on it before making a decision). Instead, I took the offer for the modern luxury at invoice. Just be sure you get the invoice numbers from Edmunds, not the dealer. Sometimes the numbers given by the dealers are flat out wrong.

If you've read about my tribulations on the LS board, you'll know that I am now VERY careful when dealing with anyone associated with car sales. Bring a calculator and write down any numbers thrown at you (you'll notice the salesman always takes away all his paperwork when he goes to talk to his manager).

I visited one other dealer before buying and the case was pretty much the same. At least here in Northern California, Lexus dealers are discounting 05 LS's very heavily. Good luck in your search!

By the way, I truly believe you will get the best quotes in person, not via email.
  • michael88michael88 Member Posts: 10
    I recently purchased a 05 LS 430 and was asked if I wanted a paint and leather sealant to be applied to the car. The application protects paint against weather fading, bird droppings,tree sap and eliminates the need for waxing. It is guaranteed for 5 years by the dealer and costs $1,151. The service was listed on the "required disclosure" which also lists the various care packages they sell. The package was called A touch of Class.

Has anyone tried this offer or have an opinion if it is worth the money?

Thanks,
  • maxhonda99maxhonda99 Member Posts: 1,289
    *A touch of Class* is simply a fraud!! Don't buy it!
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    You can also check out our topic called Dealer Add-ons and Extras - are they worth it?

kirstie_h
    Roving Host
    Host, Future Vehicles & Smart Shopper discussions

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    I wouldn't even buy a car from a dealer who offered me a wax job for $1200. Shame on them. Because that's all it is.
  • michael_mattoxmichael_mattox Member Posts: 813
    I would deal on the phone...I did a lot of looking for my LS Ultra...Traveled about 1200 miles to buy...

In my search Ohio and Chicago seemed to have the best deals in the mid-west...
    I have a brother-in-law who has an auto body shop...He says NO to everything except the Plastic coating they put on the headlights...

If you have radar or Laser cruse control ...Find a Auto Glass shop that has lexan 1/8 in is fine and have it installed over your cruse control unit...Doesn't affect performance and will save you $2000 when that rock finds it's way in there...

NOTE...I had it done for about $30 bucks...

There is a trim peice that fits around the unit (My car is an 01 yours may be different) it pulls out... The Glass guy then cut a piece about 6". by 6" and used double sided tape attached to the frame that housed the unit....He Worked his way to the unit from the middle right under the bumper to get an easy access...LEXAN is very strong and will keep that unit safe from rocks
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    "I have a brother-in-law who has an auto body shop...He says NO to everything except the Plastic coating they put on the headlights..."

That's good stuff, and if your headlights are glass, it'll save you $500.
  • michael88michael88 Member Posts: 10
    Thanks to you all for the valuable responses.

In a update, I told the dealer I was not interested in the service and he immediately reduced the price to $817. I told him I thought the price was still to high for the value received and have not heard from him. As suggested I will wax the car more often.

Thanks again, a happy LS owner.
  • bdkerbbdkerb Member Posts: 3
    I want to get an LS by the end of the year. What cost savings should I expect between an 05 they are desparate to get off the lot and the 06's? I figure the 06 will have one less year of depreciation on it than the 05 when I'm ready to sell, so that's worth probably 5-7k. Will I save more than that buying the 2005?

Also, I've seen some mention of the December to Remember sale. How good are the deals in December? Is it smarter to buy the 06 in December to get the best of both worlds, or does that not make up the difference of the end of the model year discount?

Any suggestions aprreciated.
  • 350350 Member Posts: 9
    Did you have to pay California sales tax and Washington sales tax?
    I payed the California Sales tax...and when I got back to Washington, what I paid applied to my Washington tax...In my case the Calfornia Tax was actually lower then the Washington tax so I had to pony up an additional few 100.

Check with your states licensing dept and they can tell you how they do it.
  • manakpunmanakpun Member Posts: 2
    :) Hi,

I just gave a deposit on LS430 2006 in NJ . MSRP with Modern Lux,smart key,18in alloy wheels and mats was $64500. Dealer wanted to sell it for $60000. I also had a 2004 Nissan Quest for which he wanted to give me $19500. After I made my intention clear about giving a deposit now if the deal gets better. He called the manager. Long story short he sold me the car for $56700 and gave me $22900 for the trade-in. My car should be coming by end of aug. Its black /black.
    Is it a good deal? Also I read on some forums that the HP for 06 is 278 as compared to 290 for 05. I am kind of confuse whether I should buy 06 or renegotiate an 05.

Hope it helps.
  • maxhonda99maxhonda99 Member Posts: 1,289
    Looks like a pretty good deal on the 2006 model.

Buy the 2006, despite the horsepower number being lower on the 2006, it's got the same horsepower as the 2005 model. Carmakers are moving to a new SAE standard to rate horsepower, that's all.
  • manakpunmanakpun Member Posts: 2
    :confuse: Thanks. I went to the dealership this morning for financing/leasing details. I was told that leasing numbers are not out yet for 06 model since the car is expected next month. For financing I was told that the rate would be around 6%. However for 05 the special lease rate is 2.8% and 3.29% . This is a big factor since I was under the assumption that these rates should apply to my 06 too. I gave an impression that I am not interested in buying the car and the dealership told me that for $57000 I can get an 05 LS with comfort luxury package, Interior Upgrade Package w/Black Semi Aniline, Smart Access,18 inch all season alloy wheels and preferred accessory package. MSRP is $66,350 and Invoice is $57,201.

Is this a good deal or should I stick to 06.
  • 350350 Member Posts: 9
    Which dealer?
  • ckelly14ckelly14 Member Posts: 105
    I guess it depends on the depreciation hit of the '05 compared to the '06. My assumption is that the '05 would be worth less than the '06 at the end of lease if both were purchased at the same time (and therefore increase your lease payment). However, you have to balance that with the substantial cap cost reduction you would get on the '05 compared to the '06. I doubt the '06 will be selling at invoice, at least until the new generation is introduced. Also, Lexus currently has very nice lease terms on the '05 which I doubt you will see in the '06 for some time. Personally, if I was in the market for a new LS, I would without hesitation buy the 2005. If the dealer is offering you below invoice off the bat, you may actually be able to do better! There is also no difference between a '05 and '06 considering the new model is on the horizon.
  • hwg1hwg1 Member Posts: 1
    Interesting. I'm just back from the Cherry Hill, NJ dealership. Looking at the 05 with 'modern' upgrade package. List 63,284. They wouldn't come down from 58,612. I'm glad I walked.
  • topspin628topspin628 Member Posts: 373
    Let me offer a warning to those who live in the NY area. Do not shop at Lexus of Massapequa. They employ old school pressure tactics including "take over" method etc. Check at the Edmunds Top Ten List of things that are a warning you are at a bad dealership and they ring loud and true for them. There service is very good but the buying experience is not and you are open prey for all of the methods that have given dealerships a bad name.
  • bdkerbbdkerb Member Posts: 3
    Finally bit the bullet and closed the deal tonight on a white 2005 with Modern Lux pkg , Smart Key, 18" wheels, and XM Radio. Final price was 57313 (really add $400 to that for the bogus Doc Fees). MSRP 64682. Pretty happy with the deal. Very happy with the dealership. In Atlanta, it starts with a 'N'. I spent a total of maybe 90 minutes with the salesman (including testdrive and early posturing to act like I didn't know much about the car). The first price they came at me with was $5500 off MSRP for the 2005 or $1500 off the 2006. A little more haggling and we got to a price I was happy with. One trick I used was to make sure my notes on a competitors letterhead was visible. Anyway, I pick it up tomorrow as they have to install the XM. I just hope the 2007 doesn't make me jealous.
    Great for you! I'm sure you'll enjoy this fine automobile. I've had mine for two months and am still learning about some features I didn't thunk existed.

I guarantee the 07 WILL make you jealous.
  • CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Member Posts: 38,514
    Hi everyone. Please use the following discussion to post any questions that you have about leasing a Lexus LS 430. Thanks.

Car_man
    Host
    Smart Shopper / Prices Paid Forums
    Stomp:

Have you discovered the tiny sun visor over the rear view mirror...It was a Year before I discovered mine...(thanks to someone on this board mentioning it.)
    March out to garage.......open car door.....look above rear view mirror.....well, I'll be darned. I coulda had the car for ten years and never found it.

Started poking around and found a storage bin under front passenger seat. I gotta read that manual.
  • famwaldfamwald Member Posts: 114
    March out to garage.......open car door.....look above rear view mirror.....well, I'll be darned. I coulda had the car for ten years and never found it.
    Started poking around and found a storage bin under front passenger seat. I gotta read that manual.

Well, the sun visor over the rear view mirror is not in the manual --- I knew about it thanks to this forum.

What is also not in the manual are the little I-don't-know-what-you-call-it things that keep stuff from falling down between the front seats and the console. No more lost pens, slips of paper, or renegade french fries. Thank you, Toyota/Lexus.

That manual is really thick but worth a read. Too many bells & whistles for us to figure out without it. Sometimes the translations from Japanese are funny.
  • anthonypanthonyp Member Posts: 1,860
    Remember the little cubbord that pops out where the headliner meets the glass..I think the garage door switces are on front and the cubbord is behind them Tony
  • catchdogcatchdog Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2001 Lexus and a 1990 Lexus.....I like the 1st generation Lexus LS400. Of course I also like the older Mercedez too. The parts are super expensive though.
  • arbrnrngrarbrnrngr Member Posts: 1
    Anyone done any minor or major performance upgrades - e.g. suspension tweaks, engine mods, custom exhaust, etc.? I've just bought a 2006 and while I love the car, it is almost too good and sedate. Even the car mags don't fault the car aside from wanting more character. :shades:
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,541
    Since this discussion is about leasing, you might have better luck posting your question in Lexus LS Owners: Accessories or in Lexus LS

regards,
    kyfdx
    Host-Prices Paid Forums

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• texlextexlex Member Posts: 1
    Just bought a '05 LS Black / Cashmire with premium package, smart key, trunk mat. MSRP = 59.8. Price paid = 53.3 (6500 off MSRP). Dealer threw in tint and pin stripe. I did not want the pin stripe, but it was already on the car and now I kind of like it. Bought in Ft. Worth. Negotiated with them over the phone (internet sales dept). I wanted the ML but could not find an 05 ML in black. I will use the extra $ to buy a big screen TV and a really nice hand held GPS.

I was looking at the same car in Austin, but the sales person was not very pleasant to work with. He acted like it was a chore for him get the key and let me look inside the car. It turned out the battery in the car was dead. Maybe he knew that.

He acted kind of snooty and did not make me feel very welcome even though I was the only person in the showroom. I Made them an offer on the car and they would not even make a counter offer. I almost bought the car there so I could slam them on the survey. Austin needs another Lexus dealership. The Guy in Ft Worth said he gets a lot of business form people from Austin with similar stories.
  • anthonypanthonyp Member Posts: 1,860
    I hope you enjoy your new car....Personally I think you are smart getting a good hand held gps....I never had and now have spent more than eight thousand dollars for the built in one, and really don`t find them that useful....Use your head and don`t ever just blindly follow the instructions the voice tells you

Unfortunately Lexus has over they years tried to copy the Germans in their selling strategy, in suttle ways....You did the right thing in my opinion Tony
  • joer62joer62 Member Posts: 2
    Hi,
    I know there are not many post here but here goes...

I am thinking of getting a Lexus LS430. 05 model, with modern luxury package. It appears I can get an "at invoice" deal. (54,706).
    How do I know what a "true" residiual value is on this car if I lease it? I am considering a 36 month 15,000 mile a year lease.

Thanks,

Joe
  • joer62joer62 Member Posts: 2
    Could you explain the lease terms available on the 05"s? Also do you know where true Residual value can be found on an 05?

Thanking you in advance,

Joe
    I see you've already asked your question in the Lease Questions: Lexus LS forum.. Car_man stops in there frequently, and will be able to answer your question..

regards,
    kyfdx
    Host-Prices Paid Forums

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Welcome Joe. This discussion was only created this month, so think of yourself as a pioneer :) . I would be happy to give you an idea of what this car's lease program is currently like. According to the latest information that I have seen, if you were to lease a 2005 Lexus LS 430 (non-Custom or Ultra Luxury and without navigation) through Lexus Financial Services right now for 36 months with 15,000 miles per year, its buy rate lease money factor and residual value should be .00160 and 52%, respectively.

Car_man
    Host
  • popeye7popeye7 Member Posts: 15
    I will be coming off my lease of a ES300 this Spring. I want to upgrade to a 2006 LS430 at that time or sooner. What type of special lease offers may be available in December or January. I seem to recall a promotion that basically eliminated the last 5 or 6 lease payments.
  • scottg1scottg1 Member Posts: 5
    Mike,

I also live in Wa. Did you use Longo in So Cal for your transaction? If so, who is a good contact?

Thanks,
    Scott
    Please read the directive below "Post A Message" at the bottom of the screen..

While dealership names and locations are fine, individual contact names, phone numbers or e-mail and website information are prohibited.

regards,
    kyfdx
    Host-Prices Paid Forums

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

HI Scott:

I did use LONGO and thought they did a great job...My E-Mail address is Mattox@whidbey.net

Host..I think that it is ok to give my address?
    Sure... but, it would be smarter to make it public in your profile.... just click on preferences...

That way, the spambots can't get to it...

It might be a good idea to delete that last post..

regards,
    kyfdx
    Host-Prices Paid Forums

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

sorry
    I'm thinking about using a dealer in So. Cal. that buys vehicles exclusively from the auctions. He stated that he would charge me $1500 for his services. Any thoughts on buying a LS430 from an auction?

Thanks,
    Scott
    Scott:

Lexus is so good especially the LS430 that if you get a low milage one it is hard to see how you could go wrong....These are not Mercedes with all kinds of electrical problems...The are the best made cars in the world....

P.S. one thing to think about is the 30,000 mile service is Pricy...Probably rear brakes (they turn the drums if you need it or not) tires, Transmission Oil change, Many go to synthetic oil at that time (if you do bring your own. save a few bucks)

The only potentual problem is if it has been in a wreck or underwater in N.O.

OR YOU COULD BUY ONE FROM A DEALER WITH A BUMPER TO BUMPER AND GET A 3 YEAR LEXUS CERTIFIED CAR..
  • texmex627texmex627 Member Posts: 3
    I don't understand how a dealer would sell the car for invoice amount. Does Lexus give the dealer a rebate on 2005's?
    Greetings popeye7. It is difficult to predict what automakers future lease programs will be like, but in this particular instance it is fairly safe to say that Lexus will likely have an attractive lease promotion on the LS 430 in December. At the end of every year it provides lease support on the majority of its vehicles through its "December to Remember" sales event. It would not surprise me if Lexus ran some sort of early lease termination program in December as well, though if it does I doubt that it would waive more than three lease payments.

Car_man
    Host
  • ruthmccruthmcc Member Posts: 1
    by now you've possibly bought your Lexus. hope you got a good deal. In Jan 05
    We shopped around and got the best quote on our 2005Ls with Nav system etc. from Lexus of Tulsa they actually brought the car to us in Hot Springs Ar on a flat bed truck, had 1 mile on it. Price 56,000. and yes they let us put $5,000 on our frequent flyer CC. Great people to deal with.
  • mlazarmlazar Member Posts: 1
    Car_man, can you please give a numerical example of how I can use these figures (money factor and residual value) to calculate a monthly payment?
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    I'm not car_man, but I can direct you toward our Lease Calculator, which should help you determine monthly payment if you have the info available.

kirstie_h
    Roving Host
    Host, Future Vehicles & Smart Shopper discussions

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• joel232joel232 Member Posts: 4
    $35,500 on a certified 02 LS430 with 43K miles from a Lexus dealer in California. It is a base model.

Is it a fair price?
This discussion has been closed.