Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Trailblazer/GMC Envoy/Olds Bravada Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• previousamigopreviousamigo Member Posts: 130
    As a tax manager, it doesn't matter where you purchase the vehicle, it depends on where you register/license it. If I were to buy my TB in OR and bring it back to Nebraska, I pay the license and sales tax when I get it back to NE. I can't put plates on it in my home state until I pay the NE sales tax in the state I reside. Each state is a little different as to when or who collects the sales tax.

Your theory may work on small purchases (if you don't get caught by your home state's auditors for not paying the use tax) but this does not work on big ticket items especially if you have to get it registered and licensed.

I was also a former state tax auditor. And to bore you even more..., the states without a sales tax are NH, OR, MT, AK, DE (or as I call them, the NOMAD states). Ain't taxes fun?
  • saleegsaleeg Member Posts: 2
    On 9/16/02, I placed a factory order for a 2003
    TB EXT with the following options: Leather Plus
    Package, Rear Seat Entertainment DVD Package, 6cd
    changer, Bose Premium Sound System, Side Running
    Boards, Locking Rear Differential,Heated Front
    Seats, Traction Assist(its a rear wheel drive vehicle) Third Row Floor Mat. I took delivery on 10/23/02 for a price of $33,643.45 plus tax. The window sticker was $37,355.00. I also got 0% financing for 60 months. Not bad!
  • vijayfvijayf Member Posts: 5
    Hey tblazer503, Thx. for the advice about the website carsdirect.com for prices and buying alternative. Also appreciate the suggestion that I can custom order the vehicle to save on the price. I've negiotating with the carsdirect.com and a local dealer for also a month now. But either one suggest that I custom order to save on the price. Therefore, I will running it by the dealer. Oh, thought I should let you know that I change mind from the Trailblazer to Envoy. And thanks to sites like these I'm more informed. Thanks a million.
  • vjovjo Member Posts: 10
    Hi, Picked up my new TB last night. I bought TB 4WD/4 door LS with group 3 package, CD/Cassette, and all season tires. MSRP $30635.00, purchase price $27178.00 (TMV $28533.00), minus $2000.00 rebate, minus(old GM card)of $3127.33= out of pocket price of $22050.67!!!! I thought I did well. Thanks for all the help available on this board!!!!!!!
  • kruskrus Member Posts: 1
    I am looking at purchasing a 2003 LT Trailblazer and very dealer (Massachusetts)that I have gone to is giving me the MSRP minus the $2000 rebate to get my price. Are other people running into this and shouldn't I be getting my discount off the MSRP and THEN then the $2000 rebate. Any feedback would be appreciated.
  • gamdgamd Member Posts: 2
    The best deals I can find in the Wash DC area are 1.5% over invoice less the $2000 rebate.
  • jed76jed76 Member Posts: 1
    I am just starting to look at buying a TB. Just wanted to get an idea from anyone who may know as to what the average dealer floorplan fee that you have come across when looking into establishing a quote to give to a dealer. This is a price that can be removed when figuring out a good preliminary quote. Any ideas?
  • condoriolecondoriole Member Posts: 39
    We just purchased an 03 TB LT/EXT V8 loaded. I used this site prior to purchasing the truck and hopefully can provide some additional information. The dealers are offering $2000 cash back but we found one in Central NJ offering $3000. The sticker was 40,600 and we ended up paying 33,500! Leather, heated seats, on star, sun roof, power heated mirrors, dual zone digital auto climate control, Bose 6 disk in dash changer... etc. You name it we've got it!

We were thinking about a Tahoe but they were too pricey, very nice but too much for me. The same dealer that was offering 3000 back happened to have a V8 on the lot. I've just finished the 500 mile break in period and while babying the truck(not going over 3000 RPM's or 55 MPH) I was getting 15.4 miles to the gallon.

Any questions? I love talking about my new truck!
  • northshore2northshore2 Member Posts: 1
    I'm in the market for a new SUV and have narrowed down the search to the TB or 4Runner. Prior to making a purchase decision, has anyone compared both vehicles extensively?

I currently drive a Blazer which I bought new along with a Buick that was also purchased new. Although I'd like to support GM again, I can't say I'm thrilled with American auto makers and trade in values as a result of the glut of used cars in part caused by 0% financing. Don't get me wrong....free money is great until you pay for it with your trade in.

Anyways....what were the main factors that swung you to the TB and away from the 4Runner. I'm truly on the fence.
    Towing capacity would be one thing. Even though the 4Runner is offered with an 8 these days it still won't stack up in towing capacity.
  • mayjademayjade Member Posts: 1
    Trying to reach user "condoriole"! I thought clicking on your username would send me to your
    e-mail but it only told me your name and state where you live. I'm desperately trying to contact you about the V8 TB EXT you bought. I'm looking at the exact same car for the same MSRP but can't figure out how you were able to pay 33,500. You went for the 2k GM rebate instead of the 0%APR, right? Did the dealer offer another 1k off out of their pocket? Even using the invoice price I just don't see the math. Could you please!, please!
    e-mail me at maythysell@hotmail.com and walk me thru the pricing? My fiance is bugging me every day to hurry up and get down there and make the deal! And I'm dying to start enjoying the truck like you seem to be doing. Over here in CA they're giving away season ski passes to Tahoe w/purchase. Please, please! e-mail! Thanks!
    mayjade, I went into the dealer and let them know what I was looking for and what I was willing to pay right from the start. I asked if they work with Invoice prices and they said yes. I wanted a V8 with a 6000 lb towing capacity, leather and so on. She was pointing me in the direction of the Tahoe but they were too expensive. She then found the only V8 TB they had on the lot and I knew I was leaving with the truck once I saw it. I told her I will buy the truck for 33,000 or 200 above invoice whichever is better for them. She came back with a price of 34,000. I said you are set on 34 and I am set on 33, I'll meet you in the middle at 33,500 and they took it. This particular dealership was offering 3000 cash back this weekend only, or so they said. Actually she didn't even know what I was referring to when I was saying 3000 cash back she only knew of 2000. She did check with upper management and they agreed to 3000 back. I had called my brother-in-law from the dealer to check on the Invoice price of the TB as I was prepared to buy a Tahoe not a TB.
    33,500 doesn't include tax or the extended warranty which I did purchase.
    I hope this helps.
  • dperonedperone Member Posts: 14
    TO: condoriole
    As I live in Central Jersey, I am curious where you bought your truck (sounds like a great deal!)
    I am flipping between the ENVOY and the TB. (I don't tow - just drive)

Thanks
    We bought it at All American Chevrolet in Middletown. Beware, we were there for over 5 hours. It was worth it in the end, the truck has been great. No problems and I've taken it to PA and Vermont for Ski weekends already. Plenty of snow!
  • sinningsinning Member Posts: 4
    i just got a TB LS 4WD "1SC, BVE " $25100 + FL tax 3000 in rebates.
  • sinningsinning Member Posts: 4
    Sorry forgot to mention I did it all over the phone scheduled a test drive and over 4 day of back to back calls got my deal. no pressure.
  • eaglegolfeaglegolf Member Posts: 1
    I have a firm offer from dealer for EXT LT 4WD with $2300 worth of options (MSRP $36,020) for $33,700. Lease numbers with 2000 down (Plus first payment ($475), Security ($500) and Title/Tags ($100)), so total down will be $3075. For $475/mo for 36 mos, 15,000/yr, 18,370 Residual. Everything else the same 48 mos at $435/mo and a buy with 0% financing for $555 a month. He also tells me that with a lease I will not get any rebates (or did he mean he built them into the lease price and I am really getting car for $33,700 + $2500 = $36,200 ?). He also tells me invoice for this car is around 33,200 ? Something doesn't seem right here. Any comments ?
  • emeroneemerone Member Posts: 1
    After spending time researching used/new on edmunds and other sites, all the rebates avalible made new a viable option. The vehicle that I bought has LT, Driv conv pkg, on-star, steps, cd/cass, lock diff, 3.73, cargo net, all seasons, summit white, MSRP 32,760. Going through Arizona, Bill Heard Chevy Internet Sales Dept taked down to about 500 below invoice @ 29,066. Got 4K rebate, 500 conquest, 400 col grad, 695 on-star (did not have to sign up for a package) total 5,595. Base price of car was 23,471. Add tax @ 7.7% 1,807, lic 514, doc 300 for out the door 26088. I thought I did well considering used 2003 LTs with less options in the area are listed @ 26K, granted you could talk prive down to 23, but after lic of 500 you only save about 2.5K for 15,000 miles (no private car sales tax in AZ) What do you think? good deal? or should I have waited for one of those end of the year blowout sales???

Cheers!
  • brunopuntzjonebrunopuntzjone Member Posts: 22
    2003 Chevrolet Trailblazer LTZ (almost every option)

MSRP: $36,495
    Invoice: $32,975
    Edmund's TMV: $33,409
    Price I paid:

GMS price: $31,925
    GMS rebate: $3,750
    On Star rebate: $695
    GM Card: $2,173

Total before tax: $25,307

Not too shabby for being fully loaded I can handle $11,200 off MSRP
  • zoomtazoomzoomtazoom Member Posts: 1
    emerone and brunopuntzjone:

What are the specifics for the On Star rebate? Is this just the cost of a 1 year subscription for service that is "included" on an LTZ? Or is there any info from On Star (I couldn't locate any...I actually stumped Google with "On Star rebate"..LOL)? I am close to purchase on an LTZ and the stealer has yet to mention this possibility. Any info greatly appreciated!
  • brunopuntzjonebrunopuntzjone Member Posts: 22
    I just looked and don't see it on the Chevy homepage of offers.

It was for $695 and on any 2003 Trailblazer that had OnStar. I think they all come with 1 year of "Safe and Sound" or whatever the cheapest one is. It's standard on the LTZ so you basically get it for free.

Nothing more specific than $695 off any 03 TB with OnStar. Dealer didn't give it a second thought before giving it to me. Said it was likely an On-Star deal though and not really GM.

May have expired since it's not on the page :(
  • aldan93aldan93 Member Posts: 202
    I got one, buy one get one free!
  • jvwheeljvwheel Member Posts: 6
    I bought a two tone (white & Pewter) 03 TrailBlazer LTZ, 4WD, 4.2 L, with a couple of grand in options MSRP = $37,400 for $29,400 after rebates and discounts. I think I could of done better on price without a trade. I traded a 2001 Silverado Z71 and got $18,400 for the trade. I have been to several dealerships and the 2nd best trade offer was $17,300 after tough negotiation. The prevailing trade offer was $16,100. Over all I think I got a fair deal and was treated well in the process. The dealership was Chapman Chevrolet in Chandler Arizona. Hope this helps others. In closing I think the single most important thing in negotiating a fair price is that you are able to walk away from a deal that you feel is unfair. Good luck in shopping...
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    Did you get a good deal on your Trailblazer?
    Share your experience here!

You may include the dealership name and city/state where you purchased, but NO direct links to the dealership site. Also, please do not post salespeople names, phone numbers or email contact information.
  • boat10boat10 Member Posts: 59
    Just thought I would let everyone know how I feel about the 2004 TB.

I took delivery this past Saturday of my wife's new "BABY". Here's one for you.....Ordered on Saturday, October 25th, build date was November 3rd, shipped on November 5th, dealer received vehicle on November 12th, and paper work done Saturday November 15th. Friend purchased 2002 Trailblazer (I had leased) for his wife....Everybody HAPPY !!!!

I'll have to say the 2004 drives a lot different than the 2002..stiffer sway bars, etc. Got 4WD, Silverstone with medium gray interior (LOOKS GOOD!), black wall tires, Bright Alum. wheels, leather, sun roof, DIC, running boards, 3.73 rear end, locking diff. ALL the GOODIES, listed for near $38K. With rebates, taxes, I paid $31,450 out
    the door, couldn't be happier. WIFE happy also!!!!!!!
  • howie7971howie7971 Member Posts: 1
    Just bought a new TB LS EXT...
    MSRP: $33,330
    GMS Price: $28,345
    Cash Back: $3,500
    Military Discount: $750.00
    GM Employee/Family Member Discount: $750.00
    Price out the door (less tax/tags): $23,345

Feel like I got the deal of a lifetime on this SUV...First one I have owned and so far am really happy about it. got 5.9% with my credit union so payments are $367.00 a month and even after interest charges I paid less than MSRP on this vehicle. Have seen a few disturbing articles about problems with the 02 and 03 models so hopefully they have worked out some of the bugs in the 04. Test drove an explorer also...didnt even compare in space, comfort or value.
  • cwalker29cwalker29 Member Posts: 20
    I'm torn between a 4runner, and envoy. MSRP on 04 Envoy SLE that Im looking at is $32,825. Dealer is offering $29,440. Im putting down $3000 with 0% for 60 months, comes out to $478 a month. Good deal or not? THX!
  • tommctommc Member Posts: 66
    Thinking the dealer is about 4000 dollars too high. Very competitive market right now, shop around some more.
  • cwalker29cwalker29 Member Posts: 20
    $4000 too high? thats ridiculous. where can you get a stickered 33k enovy for 25k & 0%? you have to pick the 0% or 4000 cash back, cant take both. I want the 0%. I got them to throw in a no charge tire/rim upgrade (valued at $1200). Inovice for my envoy was 29.6K. I got it for $200 under invoice, or about the same as GM suppliers/employee discount. In texas DFW these things are selling like crazy still. where r u located? maybe thier are better deals where they are not as popular. basically i got 3.5k off plus free wheel combo upgrade & 0%.
  • smillendersmillender Member Posts: 1
    I'm looking for a TB LS 4WD, with a sunroof, nothing fancy. I went to the dealership today and he qouted me a lease price of $352 which includes my GM discount. Is that too high? My aunt just leased a 4X4 Jeep Cherokee with a sticker price of $30,000 and her car payment is $311! The Edmunds TMV price and the price the dealer showed me is only $100 off. Is that pricing reasonable and if not how do I knock off about $40?
  • theicon29theicon29 Member Posts: 6
    I have found a dealership willing to take a $35,760 Trailblazer 4WD LT which will basically boil down to $375/month after rebates, discounts, and my down payment and GM card earnings. I am about to jump at the deal, anyone have any suggestions. Also, the car must be ordered and the salesman claimed it would add $200 to the truck b/c of a dealer trade fee where dealerships basically trade vehicles and the $200 covers transportation, etc. Does this sound fishy to anyone else, I hate to haggle over $200 when they are basically giving me $10,000 off sticker price not including taxes and what I can put down...any ideas?
  • 69ponycar69ponycar Member Posts: 2
    I bought my Envoy SLT 4x4 with just about every option in November 2003. It was a Demo/Mgr unit with 4k miles. I paid $28,500.
  • carm11carm11 Member Posts: 13
    test drove a 04 sle today, nice truck, was there to test drive only but rep told me 7,000 off msrp automatically thats with the 4,000 rebate.msrp was about 32,500 as i said wasn't there to negotiate, but that would make it 25,500 without tax and tags, whats the bottom on a deal like this. thanks
  • 4by44by4 Member Posts: 1
    Hi All,

I have been reading the messages around here for a while. I thought I would share my personal experience with my 03 TB EXT...
    First of all, I got it at the end of Aug 03 and paid CDN $7500 less than MSRP...I thought I got a good deal...
    Problems with the vehicle...windshield wiper motor replaced (slow speed died on me in the rain), rear lift gate shocks replaced (lost gas pressure).
    Other than that, so far so good...I like it for it's power and cargo space...looks aren't bad at all...OnStar helped me find my way around in the mountains.
    All I do is change oil every 15000 km and fill the windshield washer :-)

Hope you all have a good experience with yours...

by4 now
  • shooterdave7shooterdave7 Member Posts: 23
    After months of researching what were some of the higher recommended SUV's versus what my budget would allow me to buy, I went with what I felt was the most SUV I could get at a fairly livable price.

Just purchased a medium red '04 Trailblazer LS with a preferred equipment group 2. Sticker was $31,730 with painted pinstripes, with the $5000 owner loyalty rebate I paid $24,400. After much negotiation on both the price of the vehicle and on my trade, sales manager acted like I was pulling his teeth and taking his first-born, but sent the paper back with a big "YOU WIN" written on it. LOL Yeah...whatever. I still owed money over and above what they gave me for my trade, so the above price does not include anything off for the trade-in, it was the final negotiated price for the car itself. They tried to sneak in the extra $159 for the painted pinstripes after I thought we were all settled, but I wouldn't go for it and made them take that off as well. Gotta watch these guys. Overall, it wasn't as bad an experience as what I've had in the past. I was better informed this time around thanks to Edmunds here. :-)
  • joefoxjoefox Member Posts: 5
    Its pretty basic but has XM radio, Power driver's seat, cruise control, dark tint, and running boards. We paid $23,140 plus ttl.
  • imadad2imadad2 Member Posts: 79
    I got what I thought was a great deal on my new SUV, so I figured I'd share. I hope others can get the same deal.

MSRP $32800
    Invoice $30200 (I bought at invoice)
    Rebate $4500
    Loyalty Rebate $500
    GM Card $1367.50

Total financed before TT&L. $23,832.50

I love Chevrolet's, and as long as they keep giving great discounts, I will keep buying their cars and trucks.

I have had the SUV for one month and love every thing about it. I am leary of the A/C issues every one has posted about, but I am thankful to know what to look out for.
  • sihansihan Member Posts: 5
    My coworker just bought a 2004 XUV V8. I think it was SLT - fully loaded minus 4x4, navigation, & XM radio. She said paid $28K after $5K rebate. It looked nice and got me interested. If you are trying to buy this in So Cal, try GMC in Tustin Auto Center where she bought.. If you buy V6, you may subtract ~$1800 from 28K.
  • russelle77russelle77 Member Posts: 1
    2004 2wd LS stickered for $29,640
    found a dealer out of our area offering $8000 off sticker, called St Johns in Palatka FL asked if he could match the offer, at first no way, then yes. Went in made the deal and added my $1000 certificate for GM for a pickup we own (exploding fuel tanks). Got it for $20,640. $9000 below sticker. Got Sandstone. Only options were power driver seat, LS package 2. We love it so far.
  • eruss44eruss44 Member Posts: 13
    I am currently looking at the opportunity to smartbuy a 2004 TB LT 4WD from a dealer in central NY state...The MSRP on the truck is $34,525.00.The dealer's latest offer to me is a bottom line monthly payment(including all taxes,etc...)of between $325.00 and $330.00...I'm putting $2,600.00 down at the signing...I had a an offer from another dealer nearby to smartbuy a 2004 TB LS with power drivers seat,etc.list MSRP at $32,000.00 for $289.00 bottom line payment book price(inludes all other taxes,fees,etc.)and the same $2600.00 down at signing...I REALLY like the LT,as it has many more likeable features that I want...I need lots of input on this subject SOON as both of these dealers are extending these terms to me until August 2nd....HELP!!! Thanx...
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I'm not good at figuring out the math of monthly payments (I save for 10+ years and pay cash to avoid having to figure this stuff out!).

But it seems like it'd be better to figure out the price of the SUV and work that number and then apply the payments. Dealers love deals like yours because they can hide all kinds of stuff in there and tell you it's just another $20 a month (and throw in another 3 months on the back end). It gets confusing and you want to know the bottom line before you bring out your checkbook! Here's a couple of links:

Low Down, Low Payments

Edmunds' Financial Calculators

I wouldn't get too hung up on the August 2nd deadline either. The incentives may change and the $5,000 Smartbuy incentive disappears on Aug 2nd (unless GM extends it), and the colors/options will change and the '05's will start arriving making your selection smaller, but it's just a car. Detroit is building lots of them every day and the dealer will have another deal for you on August 3.

The sales staff will try to pin you down today, but you have all the time in the world to find a great deal (unless your current ride is on its last legs or something). And if you are willing to walk away from the Smartbuy, the dealer may sweeten the deal even more to get you to buy today.

Steve, Host
    Thanks,Steve,for your insight on my question, I appreciate your input...The monthly payments that I told you about were firm (out-the-door)pricing with any/all other things included(TTL,etc...)No hidden stuff...With that in mind,do you still think that this is a fair monthly payment??? The salesman(a longtime golf partner of mine)said that if the programs weren't any better the day after the Aug.2nd "deadline" he would still honor these terms for a week or so...Does this sound any more fair to you??? I've known him for years and several of my other friends have had favorable results with him...In addition, he sold my girlfriend her car a couple of years ago....If you could, please reply back to me on this subject...If anyone else would like to throw me an opinion on this, it would be greatly appreciated..Thanks, ~Eric~
    You do not mention what the vehicle would be worth when the balloon payment is due. That to me is they key to these offers. If you are paying $300 a month for three years and then still owe 20 thousand plus on the truck balloon payment, you are getting a raw deal. Interest rates get associated with smart buys, and unless you get a rate that is around 5%, do not do a smartbuy. You would be stupid to pay the balloon payment, and if you decide to trade the vehicle in, you might be inside out. If you cannot afford the $500 a month for a 30K SUV, than make sure the interest rates on the smartbuy are low or just lease one.

Best of luck.
    HI imadad...The balloon payment after 48 months is $16,100...I cannot afford to buy the TB as payments work out about $125.00 over our monthly budget...That's why I'm thinking strongly towards the smartbuy end ....Originally around mid-April , this dealer offered the same truck to me for $375.00 a month, out-the-door everything included, no hidden stuff price...So I believe that I have gained some ground since then...I'm almost ready to pull the trigger here,but would still love to hear much more input from all you great people out there...Thanx again, ~Eric~ P.S:The interest rate is 3.5% and it's 4years/48k...I don't drive over 10-11k per year,either...
    The balloon payment threw me too and I edited my draft message yesterday because I couldn't figure it out. You still haven't told me what the rig costs and what you're going to wind up paying for it.

lol, I'm not even sure if this deal is a purchase, lease or some hybrid. I can't operate that way and I've walked a few times when the salesperson tried to sell me a car by focusing on the payments.

I think you should also try the Lease Questions - Ask Here discussion for more advice.

Steve, Host
    Hi, again, Steve...The balloon price($16,100&tax) would be the final buyout price after the 48 month GM "smartbuy" leasing period...I really thought that I had all the information necessary here from previous posts to allow a favorable or unfavorable opinion from the members of this town hall forum...Cut&Dried,the facts are as follows:MSRP:$34,525...Monthly payment for 48 months:$329.00,which includes ALL sales taxes,license,registration,destination,prep,blah,blah,blah...The final "balloon" end of smartbuy payment to buyout(own it) is $16,100 plus 8.25 NYS sales tax after the 48th month...The dealer is applying the $5,000 GM loyalty discount to the MSRP(which will lower the price to$29,525.00,P.S:The $16,100 is a SET final buyout figure,it cannot be changed) and computing the monthly payments based on that derivative @ 3.5%.....I now hope that I have provided enough information to get at least a few "Yes,it sounds good" or "No,it is not a good deal" type responses...Is there anyone out there that has "smartbuyed" on a TB(or any other GM truck with a $34,525 MSRP that has a monthly payment LESS than $329.00 based on a 48 month/48,000 mile deal,with a final buyout of $16,100+8.25% sales tax????? Thanks again,~Eruss44~
    I guess the MSRP threw me too since I didn't think many people paid MSRP for a GM truck.

Ok troops, let's weigh in the deal - the 2nd is almost here!

Steve, Host
  • shooterdave7shooterdave7 Member Posts: 23
    Another reason why I don't mess with all this leasing and monthly payment stuff. I researched my vehicle, knew the price I should be able to get it for, and went in and negotiated the price of the vehicle (not the monthly payment) to where I wanted it to be. For an extra $100 a month for five years on the same sticker priced vehicle as the LS you mentioned, I will own my TB with no remaining "balloon payment" and no restriction on mileage and no worrying about what it looks like when it comes time to turn it in years down the line. Has always been my experience that if you're looking at a vehicle payment where you have only an extremely small amount of wiggle room in your budget left, then you're probably looking at way too expensive a vehicle to begin with. Good luck to you, but I'd have to vote against it simply because I think you could do better somewhere actually buying one. There are many '04's left on the lots and probably will be well into the fall. There are bound to be some really good deals to be had.
    Thanx for your perceptive analysis concerning my situation,shooterdave7...I am going to try the ole'sit and wait approach to this with my eyes peeled in the meantime...I'm certain that I can whittle one of these two dealers down(shifting towards an outright purchase now,as opposed to a smartbuy)...I'm sure that the deals will become sweeter as the 2005's arrive on the lots...I am trying to learn a little patience with myself...I hope that it pays off sometime before the snow flies here in central NY state,though....Once again, thank you for your sobering advice...~Eruss~
    Your numbers look like they are at sticker. You should be able to get invoice easily on a TB. I know three people in my office that just bought Chevy's at or below invoice. Your smartbuy should be at invoice. I would insist on seeing the dealer invoice.

How long do you plan on keeping this truck? The balloon payment will be over the blue book value when it comes due. I wish you could do a used car value search of a TB that is 4 years old, to see the resale value, but the TB was created in 2002, so no luck. If you are planning on trading it in before 8 years have passed, I would say do not buy the truck. If you refinance the balloon payment, you will be paying 7 or 8 years on the truck. That is a lot of interest, even at 3.5%.

I walked out the door before TTL with my 2004 LS Ext at around $24,000. A 6 year (72 payment) loan can be had, if you have excellent credit, for 3.5% or less. The payment on that would be about $50 higher than you quoted, and you would pay a lot less interest, and own the vehicle in 6 years not 7 or 8.

I generally frown on smartbuys. They are designed for individuals that can't afford the vehicle any other way. I wanted to buy a Sequoia, but I would have had to do a smartbuy to get one. I could not afford over $30,000 for a SUV. The Trailblazer is not selling well, they actually had to shut down the production of them in May. So, I have a hunch that in the next few months, you will see 2004 TB's on sale for the cheap. I doubt this deal you have been offered will go away, because oil is at $44 a barrell, and will not go down until after the summer. I would keep an eye on as many Chevrolet lots as you can and keep looking at the rebates. I have a feeling they may even go over $5,000 off MSRP.

A bigger down payment will only help you, so keep saving and put down as much as you can. I hope this helps, but if you do a smart buy, you should always plan on keeping the vehicle until it dies (hopefully 15 years from when you bought it). If you don't plan on it, a lease is your best bet.

Good luck.
This discussion has been closed.