Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Ford F-Series Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    titaneesetitaneese Member Posts: 43
    Listen, Ford is trying all they can can to sell these trucks. Don't seem too anxious thats when they've got you where they want you. I have been offered by more than 1 dealership to buy a $36600 MSRP ford F-150 Lariat for $29000 & 28500. $8100 off msrp I think with some more aggressive haggling you could get $8500 off. Those offers were recent like two weeks ago. Throw the rebates out the window in my opinion thats where ford wants to sell you the truck at but they will go lower than just what the rebates add up to. Even the Nissan people went well below the rebates. I negotiated them to $4907 off msrp on $33800 msrp. I hope this has helped.

keith
  • Options
    tyresmokertyresmoker Member Posts: 266
    forget the tmv...build the truck and take the invoice price, deduct the rebates and add back a a few bucks ($200-$300) over for dealer profit. Call it a day, that simple.
    If the truck in question has an msrp of about $41k that price sounds about right...
  • Options
    koogskoogs Member Posts: 8
    Thanks for the info. I think it will help
  • Options
    Thats basically what I did, but I would like to find the deal titaneese got. Thanks for the reply. I will keep looking. Cheers
  • Options
    koogs, I didn't actually get a deal because I haven't bought one. I have given up on the Fords due to the reliability issues and the fact that the 5.4 Super Crew feels so slow. I have decided on a Titan for me. Also keep in mind just because some dealers made me these offers the deal was never closed. As far as I'm concerned the deals that really matter are the deals that have been closed. So don't feel bad if you can't duplicate the deals I have mentioned.

Also keep in mind your offers to dealers should end with the words NO FEES.

Keith
  • Options
    In the market as well....Couldn't get past the looks of the Titan. The 4-door is just odd looking and the interior, just like the Armada, is too plain...
  • Options
    titaneese,
    Do you have any specifics on teh reliability issues. I have been a gm ownre and will never ever go back due to this. What do you know about the F-150? It sounds like an extended warrantee would be th eway to go if I buy one.

Thanks

Koogs
  • Options
    I have nothing more than you do. Read through the message board here, that's what I have done. Oh I have driven the new F-150 and one reason I am not buying is they feel slow when you drive them, very sluggish. It took me back to the 77 models with a 351M engine. They are very slow feeling. I am in the market for a 2 wheel drive and I think they are better with the vibration issues than the 4 wheel drive.
    Another factor is my experience with the Ford service people. I currently drive a 98 F-150 and overall I would say it's been a good truck but the Ford service is really sorry. It's like their attitude when you go in is another sucker let's see how much we can get out of him. And yea I bought the extended warranty and I still remember some $300 to $400 bills for burnt out ignition coils. At the most a $75 part but oh they have to flush your radiator and replace the spark plug and and and and etc.... I had a broken gear shift knob it cost about $285. Another problem was body creaking when taking off from a stop, they told me it was the body bolts and they would have to order the parts. They never even called me back & when I called them back they didn't even know who I was. Constantly crap service like this after I have tried 3 different service departments.

I am not thinking the other brands (Nissan Titan) will be any better but for me it's at least a change. The only thing I can do at this point is take my money somewhere else.

One of my relatives works at a ford dealer and he told me to look him up when I go to the dealer for service and he knows a really good service guy he will hook me up with he said he is honest and would not rip me off. Imagine the warm fuzzy feeling I had when one of my family members told me this. I am one of those 3rd generation Ford guys but I am done. My wife drive a Lexus my daughter a Honda my next vehicle is a Nissan Titan.

thanks, Keith
  • Options
    bighorn44bighorn44 Member Posts: 5
    Does anyone have any purchase price information to share? I am intending to purchase a black w/arizona beige King Ranch F150 SuperCrew. The MSRP is $43,555. I think I can get about $9,000 off MSRP. I know I could have bought a white one with every possible option yesterday at the dealer for $33,555....just didn't want white and beige. Can get a copper and beige for about the same.
  • Options
    I think you are pretty close, you could maybe get a little more off. I have been shopping for a lariat super crew msrp $36600 and I have had offers for $28500 $8100 off with out trying hardly at all. I sent them a couple of e-mails. We've got so many ford dealers to choose from that I think you should check with more than a few to compare prices. Also you can do an online build on the ford truck website and then try to locate the exact truck you want to buy.

good luck and if you make a deal please report here so we can see what you got.

Keith
  • Options
    Keith,

Thanks for the info. I was a GM guy until my last two (yes it took 2) disasters. Still trying to find the deal.

Thake it easy

Koogs
  • Options
    cohenfivecohenfive Member Posts: 85
    i'm not sure if edmunds is accurate but i configured an f250 diesel yesterday and the tmv pricing suggested there was now $3000 available on these trucks. hadn't heard that from a dealer and can't find that there are new incentives. does anyone know if ford has increased the cash back?

we're looking for an f250 diesel for our daughter so she can trailer her horse and other barn related stuff...she sat in an amarillo special edition yesterday--my wife said she looked great in the screaming yellow truck (way too expensive however unless they need to dump it!!)....

one other question--4X2 vs 4X4--any difference in discounts? she doesn't really need the 4X4, especially for the $3000 that it costs. i'm worried about resale however and am thinking the 4X2's would be in less demand.
  • Options
    What are the rebates in your area? I just X-planned a fully loaded copper one (msrp of $44.3k)..plan came to $38.5k. There is a $2k factory rebate and bonus cash of $1k currently...Am I missing anything?????
  • Options
    fordysomthgfordysomthg Member Posts: 10
    yes you are! some dealers are offering $9k & $10k off. my brother bought an '05 F-350 Lariat Duper Crew with 6 liter & 4 wheel drive......$38,000. listed at $47,800.This was in March 2005. F-150s at same dealership were $8,000 off. $9,000 if financed through Ford.
  • Options
    drymarshdrymarsh Member Posts: 4
    I am very interested in a 2004 F150 Fx4 super crew with an MSRP $36,980. I qualify for the Xplan and the price dropped to $28,600. The problem is that it is a new 04 that has 20miles on it and 2 years of depresiation. So I negotiated a deal of $26,700 without X-plan. The dealer has the exact same F150 in the 05' on the same lot.
    what should I do is it a good deal or should I wait for the 05', 06' deal. Please help!!! any thoughts.
  • Options
    the beauty of the x-plan is hte fact that it is printed on the invoice. All other factory incentives apply on top of the plan price. As far as a leftover that has been sitting, forget it. Remember there have been a few problems with the new design that have been corrected as work-in-progress production corrections. To buy a truck that has been sitting for a year to save a few bucks seems like you are gambling for trouble....Fortunately the KR is VERY rare in the Northeast (presently, there is one copper one in RI), so I really do not mind waiting to get a factory-fresh copy....
  • Options
    can anyone tell me what teh X-plan is?

Thanks
  • Options
    I decided to go through the diplomatic sales since I qualify for the program. this is what they are selling me:
    . 4dr SuperCrew Lariat 4WD Styleside 5.5 ft.B(5.4L 8cyl 4A)
    Dark Stone/Arizona Beige Clearcoat Metallic Interior color Black
    Leather Captain's Chairs w/Console and Floor Shifter
    Trailer Tow Package
    AM/FM Stereo w/6-Disc In-Dash CD Changer
    LT245/65R18 OWL All-Terrain Tires
    Skid Plates
    Rear DVD Entertainment center
    Limited slip 3.73 differential
    7 year 75K ford warrantee $ 35,650
    I cannot get a dealer to beat this quote online. Does anyong know of a dealer that may want to try and out bid this price?
  • Options
    Thanks Tyresmoker for the in put...I am now looking at an 05' MSRP 37000+ and I have them at 29500.0 but realy would like the hold back of 1090. So the offer for 28400 is being played monday. Does it sound feazable? any suggestions for arguments... hageling points?

Thanks for the help!!!
    ps what is "KR"
  • Options
    aspesisteveaspesisteve Member Posts: 833
    an '04 sitting on the lot with 20 miles?!
    Seeing how this car is an Fx4 i'd be very suspicious of this vehicle.
    better check for the rear vibration.

are there really new '04's sitting on the lots?

The '05's started showing up last september!
  • Options
    This '04 was manufactured 7-10-04.... and has just been sitting thier. it is one of 2 they have the (super crew and super cab FX4 '04.) niether with more than a hand full of miles.

Did they fix the rear vibration on the '05?!
  • Options
    KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    No dealer will dip into holdback unless they're desperate to move the truck or you ordered it from the factory and will take it as soon as it arrives. Holdback is not cash to the dealer, it's a scheduled credit from the manufacturer - so they are out that money until the next credit (which could be the end of the next quarter).

Also, you should not include the rebates into your negotiated price. By law, they are post-sale discounts because you have the option of receiving a check later on. Get your best price, agree on it, THEN subtract the rebates.

KR is King Ranch :)

kcram - Pickups Host
  • Options
    The holdback fund is also pretty much used up. The idea of holdback is to cover finance charges on inventory monies borrowed to retain the vehicle in stock. Typically, these charges begin on day 91. Since they have had this vehicle for a period of time, the dealer has probably depleated the fund....
    Do yourself a favor and get an '05....
  • Options
    Thanks all for your help... the dealer sold the '04 for 28900. (after rebates) to some fool.. and I baught the '05 for 28995. (after rebates) MSRP 37,990.0. They told me exactly what you all did about the holdback. however, I then moved on to the FDAM (ford dealer advertisement money) -305.0 and played the I could get X-plan any where idea. The X-plan on the truck would have been 29,499.0. So Im pritty comfadent that I milked the cow dry ;) . The truck is the F150 FX4 super crew in a awsome bright RED if I due say so myself (it had 10.2 miles on it)..

Thanks for the info and support tyesmoker, and kcram.
  • Options
    bonfigbonfig Member Posts: 14
    Looking fot suggetions on which year to go with,and if there is a big difference in the 2 years. also what are people paying. I am looking for a 4x4 extended cab diesel.
  • Options
    stoneybrokestoneybroke Member Posts: 83
    I've been looking at new pickups, I'm figuring on buying a leftover 05 in September, probably a Nissan Titan. Today, I stopped at my local Ford dealer just to kick some tires. To my surprise, he has four leftover 2004's on the lot. All are extended cab 250's or 350's with the V10 engine. Given that I can purchase an 05 for about 8-9K under sticker, is it worthwhile trying to dicker on one of the 04 models? The model year isn't an issue with me, since I typically keep a truck about 10 years. Any issues with the 04 models? Your thoughts?
  • Options
    pusterracingpusterracing Member Posts: 186
    I don't think that there is any noticeable difference in the two years. I have an 03 F350 CC KR with the 6.0L Powerstroke but the only noticeable difference between mine and a 99-02 is the powertrain.......the rest there is not much difference at all that I would be able to tell.

It depends on the area that you are in, the mileage and confition of the vehicle, and how starved the market is to know what a decent price is. But, I paid $34K for my 03 in Sept for my CC with the KingRanch package and it only had 11K miles on it.

-PR-
  • Options
    KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    Visual differences between the 04 and 05 are the nw grille/headlights, and the revised dash and interior. The main difference for 05 is what you can't see immediately. The 05 250/350 is using the frame of the 04 550 (which should give you a hint to what they did to the 550 frame for 05 :) ). And if you're looking at 4x4s, the 05 now uses coil springs up front instead of the 04's leaf springs, which make a big difference in turning radius.

kcram - Pickups Host
  • Options
    bonfigbonfig Member Posts: 14
    thank you for the nfo.
  • Options
    Does anyone know where I can get a reasonable price on either a roll up/retractable tonneau cover. I was looking at the hard one that retracts like a garage door but they are really expensive. I do not want rivets. I was quoted a price of $455.00 to install the spray on liner also. Is the spray on hard to do yourself? Any info would be appreciated.

Koogs
  • Options
    Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    Hi koogs. You didn't mention which pickup you bought, but you will have much better luck getting a response from other owners on our Pickups board. Also, if you use the drop-down menus at the left under "browse by vehicle," you can locate all discussions about your pickup.

kirstie_h
    Roving Host
    Host, Future Vehicles & Smart Shopper discussions

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Options
    micomarkmicomark Member Posts: 11
    Drymarsh - Buyers Beware! My advice is not to buy either unless you can first make sure the 2004 or 2005 F-150 does not have the vibration problems and drive train slack/knocking problem a lot of other 04 and 05 have experienced. Read the forum entitled F-150 problems with 1100 some respondents. About half the forum discussions are on this common problem. Many are seeking lemon law protection.
    I know I am. I had a 2002 F-150 4x4 super cab and to me it was a great truck.
    The F-150 super cab 4x4 Lariat I purchased in March is a total and I do mean total POS. It was made in the Virginia plant. The problem appears for the most part unsolvable and many have had their trucks drivetrain torn to shreds trying to trial and error a remedy. Well, not me. One engineer commented the frame has been made 9 time stiffer on the 04/04 platform and is resonating all drive train vibration to the cab. What can they do. Put your cab on a whole new frame and mechanicals. I would be real careful on the purchase you are considering.
  • Options
    dgh11dgh11 Member Posts: 2
    how can you tell build dates on the window sticker?
  • Options
    beechbeech Member Posts: 1
    I am looking at 2005 F150 RWD Lariat's and noticed a difference in the base price between two trucks. One is $32990 the other is $32610. There is also a $100 difference in the price of captains chairs on the stickers ($595 versus $695). Any idea why the prices are different? Are the vehicles exactly the same? Any concerns over the differences?
  • Options
    SylviaSylvia Member Posts: 1,636
    A reporter is interested in pickup buyers’ views on the Japanese offerings – both people who would definitely consider a vehicle like a Toyota Tundra, Nissan Titan or Honda Ridgeline as well as people who wouldn’t – and why or why not?

Please respond to jfallon@edmunds.com with your daytime contact information and a few words summarizing your opinion no later than Wednesday, June 8, 2005.

Thanks,
    Jeannine Fallon
  • Options
    facowetribefacowetribe Member Posts: 2
    A lot of concern over 2004/5 f 150 vibration problems and the hard shifting gas mpg etc. is there any relief in 2006 . waiting for a responce and 2006. :confuse:
  • Options
    apowellapowell Member Posts: 8
    This message is for anyone looking for a great deal on the 2005 F-150. I paid only $10,788, just 2 weeks ago. These are really nice :) full size trucks with a small extended cab. My truck is manual and yes with air. I bought at Frisco Ford, Frisco Texas, taking advantage of their newspaper deal of only two at this price. I financed at 8.9 percent interest, but will refinance in a few months through my bank for a lower interest rate. I said "NO" to any and all after-market add-on's and "NO" to the finance department for anything they had to offer. - You know, you can get all of that stuff later if you really want it when you have time to shop around. I also did not have a trade-in and was able to put TT&L and a little down payment on my credit card. I have learned that selling yourself is much better than using a vehicle for a trade-in, you will get a lot more money and worry less about "getting taken" by the dealer.
  • Options
    apowellapowell Member Posts: 8
    This is just my opinion. I have bought three brand new trucks in the past 4 years. A Dodge, A Chevy and, most recently the Ford F-150. I only bought the Ford because I needed the extra space behind the seat and, because it was the only one on sale when I needed to buy. My last truck was a Chevy Silverado and by far the smoothest riding of them all. If I had a choice of all three with the same or close to the same price, I'd buy the Chevy. *
  • Options
    blckislandguyblckislandguy Member Posts: 1,150
    I went to Ford.com last night to build an '06 F150 with the leather captains chairs, sport seats. Although I tried hard with various options ( including XLT, Lariat, King Ranch, various wheelbases, etc.) I just couldn't get the leather seat option to be available. What package do you have to buy to be able to select it? One would think that you could order leather in any XLT. (I had seen these seats on an F250 over the weekend and they were fantastic.)

I did see that on the F250 build to order program, you have to buy a sports package for $1200 or so composed of chrome tube step rails, monochrome front bumper, etc. to be eligible (?) to select the leather captains chairs for $700 or so.
  • Options
    yaqui316yaqui316 Member Posts: 7
    I've got a dealership in Georgetown, TX offering $10,000 off of MSRP for all Supercrews. That get's me a $40,000 4x2 King Ranch, w/moonroof, 3.73 limited slip, power rear window, trailer tow package and reverse sensing system..for $30,000 + ttl and fees. I know my XPlan is $34999, so it's 5k below that. I know there are some rebates out there, but they aren't offering anything but the 10k. Just curious.
  • Options
    I think that the Ford F150 option packages as seen on Ford.com defy logic. For example, take the XL package. If you like the XL package but really feel that on a wide truck you should have power windows you can't get them. You rather have to step up three grand or so to an XLT. For the 3K upcharge you get basically the power windows and locks and a rug on the floor. Thats a lot of money for power windows.

Or, say you want leather sport seats. Well, OK, but you have to check off the "flare side box" first. However, maybe the buyer doesn't want the high school "look at me" flare side box but does want leather sport seats. Sorry. Maybe the buyer wants a full 8' box and leather. Sorry.

OK, say you want a Supercab to put some stuff inside and an 8' box. Hold it, big boy. That additional foot and a half of box (8' vs. 6.5') is going to cost you about 3K! Sure, about $1200 of that is in a payload package (extra coolers, etc.) but what do you get for the $1800 difference? Just 18" of box.

Here's the sweet spot. Having run some numbers I think that the sweet spot on the F150 option list is to order a STS version (same nose as the XLT but 2K less) which is about 1K more than an XL and get the 5.4 V8 for $895 extra. The rationale for the big engine besides being more fun is that you get a more robust tranny thrown in for the upcharge. Go with the 6.5 styleside bed unless you are 18 with an affluent father. Then, take the seats out to have leather put on them locally. (Bill Ford doesn't give you the choice.)

I think that young Bill is being a bit tricky with these options and it is costing him some sales. I for one resent having to spend 3K on power windows/locks when they really are a necessity these days in a full size cab. I feel that it is foolish not to let middle aged, company owners buy an F150 with leather sport seats/captains chairs without forcing them into a Flareside box.

YMMV
  • Options
    rjlaerorjlaero Member Posts: 659
    The discounts on the American trucks & SUV's is pretty incredible right now. My local dealer was advertising $9,000 off Lariet 4WD's. Another dealer was advertising 25% off every F150 in-stock.
  • Options
    menmyjpmenmyjp Member Posts: 19
    First let me thank all of those who post messages and replies...they have been extremely helpful to me in my search of a new truck. But, I need some help. I am looking at a 2005 STX 4x4 SC. I have the X-Plan and with rebates Im at $21,934.83 (MSRP $30,410) but, they say thats the non-negoitatble price due to Xplan...The truck is at a large volume dealer with over 50 trucks very similar on the lot. Do you think I could do better? Is it true that even though this truck has a build date of Jan and there are multiple simlar vechiles that I cant get lower than this becuase of X-Plan??? Thanks in advance, Im a young and first time buyer but weary. ANY advice would be greatly appreciated-
  • Options
    ike4ike4 Member Posts: 2
    A local dealer (there are many Ford dealers in my area) is quoting me a 2005 F350 Dually King Ranch which is loaded and stickers for 52,670 for 9,000 off of sticker plus Tax Tital and Freight (freight is 795 does that sound right?). I'd like to know if that price could be sweeter than it is. It's funny one dealership I talked to told me that they will not match the Chevrolet pricing, another told me they were the only ones participating, and yet a third told me that since they would have to go to another dealer to get the truck they were not coming down off of sticker very far.

Long story short what is the best price I can expect to pay?

and how much is frieght usually?
  • Options
    rjlaerorjlaero Member Posts: 659
    That's about 28% off sticker on your deal. Can't see it getting much better that that. I'd go ahead with it.
  • Options
    deminindeminin Member Posts: 214
    We've heard all the buzzwords....sticker price, invoice, dealer cost, etc., etc. Its all Baloney. When the dealers offers you a $3,000 rebate, and an extra $1000 cash back, then act like they are giving you the truck, its all an act.
    I have a son-in-law who is a contractor, and he recently built a new dealership for a local dealer. After the job was done, the dealer was so pleased with the work that he offered my son-in-law a new King Ranch at the dealers true cost. Are you Ready???? This King Ranch stickered a little above $43,000. The son-in-law wrote out a check for slightly over $27,000!!! Folks, that's a $16,000 mark up! Yup, Detroit and its dealers are crying all the way to the bank on these big pickups and SUV's.
  • Options
    eric102eric102 Member Posts: 122
    My local dealer is advertising $50,000 MSRP F350 dually diesel's at 9500 off the MSRP plus another 3000 off for the Ford rebates, plus another 3000 off in other misc. rebates if you qualify for them. Shipping is 850.
  • Options
    ike4ike4 Member Posts: 2
    I'm interested in speaking with your dealer! What is his name/number.
    They are relatively quick to give me the 9k off of sticker but thats about it. If I could get the cost of the truck into 30's I'd be very pleased!

Thanks.
  • Options
    Gentlemen, I'd love to know what you intend to do with a "Dually King Ranch"? Does it have any purpose other than parading you around in the biggest pickup truck in the county? A dually diesel King Ranch as a personal vehicle isn't a real smart idea and it may tell other people a lot more about yourself than you think.

Come one, if you really have to haul that much cargo around get a used (it will come with the bed pre-dented, saving you the trouble) F350 rack body with a gas engine (you can buy THREE replacement gas engines for the upcharge to buy a Ford with a PowerStroke) AND a new F150 XLT. Or just call a common carrier like Roadway (with deregulation, the rates have gone way, way down) and buy something nice to go to work in. Like maybe a used Porsche Boxter for 25K.
  • Options
    eric102eric102 Member Posts: 122
    Marysville Ford in Marysville Wa., I don't have the phone # handy but you should be able to find it with a search. This was their advertised price for 3 vin. #'s in my local paper, I haven't talked to the dealer yet since I won't be buying until the end of summer.