Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda RX-8 Owners - Meet the Members

Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
edited April 2014 in Mazda
Welcome to all RX-8 owners! Please take a moment to introduce yourself and tell everyone about your RX-8.

Comments

• graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    Mine hasn't been delivered yet, but I expect it to be the latter part of August or the first part of September.

It is a 6-speed and is velocity red mica with black and red leather interior. I ordered it with the Grand Touring Package and paid $31,100 for it.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • rx8zoomsterrx8zoomster Member Posts: 31
    Married (21 years), 1 daughter(in college), 3 Pets (2 cats, 1 African Gray), Home is in Valrico, Florida.

2 Cars (Mazda Protege & RX-8)

RX-8 Delivered on 7/28/03
    6-MT
    Grand Touring Option
    Velocity Red Mica
    Black/Red Interior
    Navigation

..And many accessories.

Check out my pics. http://web.tampabay.rr.com/mbarto/images/My_RX-8/
  • mazdafunmazdafun Member Posts: 2,329
    ...the more I want one.

Oh, if only we weren't building a house now!
  • graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    Let's get our priorities straight....a place to sleep? Or, the RX8?
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
    It's mostly an upgrade for the spouse. I'm getting a second garage and some space for a workshop out of the deal though. :)

I'll get the house done first. I'd like someplace for my second car to nest out of the cold.
  • kevinrx8kevinrx8 Member Posts: 1
    Metalic Silver and fully loaded with navigation. Happy man with a fun car. This car is awesome. Great handling, smooth delivery, adequate power and many many more. Used to drive a Mecerdes SUV but now feel alive in a daily communte. Cheers!
  • KawiKawi Member Posts: 14
    Well, I've had mine for almost a month now.
    Titanium, grand touring package, 6sp
    installed the MP3 player, and vent trim

I have about 1100 miles on it, and I'm really enjoying this car.
  • odyceeodycee Member Posts: 33
    What's your average MPG around town and highway driving ?
  • rx8_is_greatrx8_is_great Member Posts: 11
    I've followed this car for awhile now and actually grew impatient and purchased an Envoy in May...while I love the Envoy, I couldn't see passing up the opportunity to test drive the first RX-8 I saw! (bad move!)

Ended up talking the wife into trading in her car for me and letting her drive the Envoy! Both are great vehicles!

6-MT
    Red w/ Grand Touring package, Appearance package,
    Spoiler, Nav system and spare tire

I've already put 450 miles on it and have only owned it a week! Just so fun to drive!! Have to clean out my garage now so it has a new home!

Good luck to those looking to buy their new toy!
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    Mazda Mania Chat
    Tuesday nights - 6-7pm PT/9-10pm ET.
  • natedogg899natedogg899 Member Posts: 3
    I am 17 years old and want a rx 8. My dad says they r unreliable and that he would prefer me to get a 350z. I would rather have a rx 8 instead. How do u guys like er rx 8s?
    RX8 or 350Z. I think I'd be happy with either one, but happier with the RX8.
  • omicron_incomicron_inc Member Posts: 6
    I looked at the 350Z too, and the Infiniti G35, but went with the RX-8 because of all the initial problems with the 350 and the G35. Do some research, and you'll see what I mean. The RX-8, by comparison, has been virtually trouble free... AND it's got a real back seat, is every bit as good looking as either of those cars (better, IMHO) and is better quality by FAR.

Also, tell your dad that while some previous versions of the RX-7 had problems, by and large they were good cars. We had 2 of them in the family for years, so I feel qualified to comment. Also, there are lots of them still on the road today with 200,000 plus miles on them.

The key is maintenance with a rotary engine - keep up on the oil, don't rag it "too" much, and it'll last as long as any piston engine. Let it get low on oil, and it may just totally crap out on you.

Also, the previous generation rotaries got a bad rap because they burned oil, got poor emissions ratings as a result, and and got poor fuel econony. Mazda has addressed all these issues with the new Renesis rotary engine. I think it will hold up well.

Really, you can't go wrong with any one of the 3, but the RX-8 was my choice. Hope it's your too!

Hope this helps... good luck.

- Omi
  • natedogg899natedogg899 Member Posts: 3
    What r some problems for the 350z?
    The best place to ask about posssible problems for that vehichle would be in Nissan 350Z Owners: Problems & Solutions.
  • omicron_incomicron_inc Member Posts: 6
    ...or the same forum for the Infiniti G35...
  • buchanan3buchanan3 Member Posts: 2
    Currently in the negotiating process with a local dealer. I was introduced to the car back in August and fell in love. I am a sales rep, my territory is MD and continues down through Fla. I am on the road alot. I love to drive. I currently own a '93 Celica Convertible, which has been a great car, but after 10 years I think it is time to move on. With the amount of miles I will need to put on the RX-8, I am questioning the serviceability. Plus, as you can tell, I like to keep my cars for a while. Any advise?
  • luv4mazdaluv4mazda Member Posts: 1
    Hi im a 19 year old female and i am looking to buy my 1st NEW car...i really love the rx8. now i drive a 98 dodge neon RT...anyone have any suggestions baout this car?
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Welcome to the Mazda Mania Weekly Chat!

Don't miss the newest addition to our live chat events here in Town Hall. Join us every Tuesday from 6-7pm PT/9-10pm ET for our Mazda Mania Chat!

Whether you own a Mazda, would like to own a Mazda, or just like going ZOOM ZOOM ZOOM... be sure to stop by and meet and greet your fellow Town Hall users! (We may even pull out some Mazda triva questions)

/direct/view/.ef1b553

PF Flyer
    Host
    Pickups & News & Views Message Boards
  • razpewtonrazpewton Member Posts: 2
    Originally, I had planned on getting a 350Z and test drove it a few times. Close to finalizing the deal, I began researching the 350Z just as a precaution. I found most owners were having problems with the tires "cupping" and wearing out prematurely (under 14k miles). Additionally, even after the break-in period, reports were being posted about the stiff, laborious shifting in the manual transmissions.

I went to a Mazda dealership on a whim to test drive a Miata, discovered the RX8 and decided to test drive it. END OF STORY.

In my opinion, the RX8 handled far better than the 350Z, the transmission was much smoother, the road noise was much less, and the car felt MUCH classier. I thank my stars I happened by the Mazda dealership. I am much more satisfied with the RX8 than I would have been with the Z, I'm sure.

After rejecting one dealers attempt to extract $10K more than I was going to pay for the vehicle (I do my homework), I found the exact deal I wanted at a second dealership, but without the Bose and leather seats (and $10K less). The non-Bose stereo sounds great too!

About Me: Retired Navy, Jax Florida resident, two soon-to-be teenage daughters (who say the car is "tight"). Director of Operations for medium-sized corporation. Wife drives a Nissan Quest (another GREAT vehicle). My daughter says I'm having a mid-life crisis, but I don't recall ever growing up.
  • carlikercarliker Member Posts: 285
    Congratulations on your new purchase! Well, every auto magazine that I've come across (and those that other posters here have read) have come to the same conclusion that you did. The RX-8 is just a flat out better vehicle than the 350Z. Nothing feels better than getting the exact car you want at the exact price you demanded. What makes the RX-8 so great is that it really isn't a car with a direct demographic. You have teens that love it and you have seniors that love it. Have fun and don't take the curves too fast!
  • cheezeboycheezeboy Member Posts: 218
    what carliker said!...Welcome to the Rotary Rebellion! and I also agree that the stock stereo is quite nice!
  • flatpickflatpick Member Posts: 43
    Hi Everyone...FlatpickHippster here...I'm 39 yrs old and I've had my RX8 since Oct. I'm loving it.
    I'm single, never married, play/sing in a bluegrass band, The Brown Liquor Pickers (www.brownliquorpickers.com), for fun and design and configure SAP software for $$ and toys. My first 2 new cars were Mustang GT's and adjusting to this hi-rev engine has been a big change.
    I look forward to many years of driving this excellent machine. I hope it holds up as well as the Fords did. I had very little trouble with my Mustangs. Best to you all!
    FPH
  • beestrosbeestros Member Posts: 2
    Just turned over 2700 miles on my red RX-8. Bought the boss ride with 718 on it so if my calculations are correct, I put 2000 on it since August.
    I don't drive it much as it's so tough and groovy looking it's dangerous on the road. Sometimes I'm not sure if everyoneis looking at the cool car, or the cool guy driving it.
    (both car and it's driver are completely hot!!!)

Chicks dig me, guys want to be me, and it seems other cars want to be the RX-8. Exceptions are the GT40's, Saleen's, and Vipers but they cannot even attempt to say they are practical.
    Cool older family guys like me always make the cool, practical choice and that's why I bought the RX-8.

Took a salty winter drive today as snow was melted but did not like the salt dust etc. Had to wash when I got home and it's back to it's sweet self again.
    This car drives so very nice, fast, smooth, and handles curves great.(better than me almost!!!)
    (wink, wink, nudge, nudge)

Well gotta go I guess, my wife is looking over my shoulder.
  • doodle8doodle8 Member Posts: 3
    Despite some nit-picky problems (which I got blasted by regulars for posting on the problems/solutions board!), I love my red 8 with the spoiler. There's also a black one and a silver one which park where I work; I'll have to find out who the other owners are.

Mine's the only one I've seen with a car seat in the back. My 3-year-old loves the car too. Whenever I ask him which car to go in, he picks Daddy's car over Mommy's SUV, even though he can't see out the back windows. The kid already recognizes cool.
  • the_big_hthe_big_h Member Posts: 1,583
    the kid just knows which car is more fun to ride in, aka the 'zoom zoom' feel ;-)
    That time again...

Mazda Mania

Liven up your evening and join your fellow enthusiasts every Tuesday from 6-7pm PT/9-10pm ET for our Mazda Mania Chat!

We'll be testing your knowledge with some automotive trivia questions as well, so be prepared! Hope to see YOU there on Tuesday!

Mazda Mania Chat Room

PF Flyer
    Host
  • blondieblondie Member Posts: 9
    I live in a little town outside of Orlando, and so far, I have the only RX8.
    I have black, GT 6 speed. I call it my Batmobile.
    I got 2 tickets the first 10 days I owned it.
    Need I say more?
    Welcome to the forum!!

ok...when I get to MouseWorld, I will look out for the "Batmobile"......and those ramps on Disney property are 'amazing' in the RX8....ah...<cough>...um...ah...not that I PERSONALLY was breaking the law on Disney land...umm..<cough>....not me.....really...

;-)
  • jdkrenjdkren Member Posts: 1
    I'm having a hard time deciding what color exterior and interior I should get. I narrowed down the exterior colors to Red, Titanium or black. Does anyone know what the best color is as far as resale value down the road. This will be my third car for two drivers and I'm not sure how long I will be able to keep it. Also, in NY we have to have license plates on the front of the car as well as on the back. The location of the front plates unfortunately is in the middle of the grill. Does anyone know of an alternative? Thanks
  • charliedogcharliedog Member Posts: 1
    Move to Delaware, no front plate needed....
  • pathstar1pathstar1 Member Posts: 1,015
    If you examine the front grill closely, you'll note most of it is fake - ie closed off. The RX-8 gets most of it's air from below the grill.
    It's Tuesday, so it's Mazda chat time again. Drag a friend along tonight!

Mazda Mania

Liven up your evening and join your fellow enthusiasts every Tuesday from 6-7pm PT/9-10pm ET for our Mazda Mania Chat!
    The chat room opens 15 minutes before the scheduled chat time, so come early and get a good seat! Hope to see YOU there on Tuesday!

Mazda Mania Chat Room

PF Flyer
    Host
  • brihambriham Member Posts: 33
    My first car out of college was an RX7, Red, very nice. My third car was an RX7 convertible. I like the RX8 the most though, they've refined this car a lot.

Here is a VIDEO of a hot lap on Laguna Seca's track

http://www.mazdausa.com/MusaWeb/displayPage.action?pageParameter=- bod&sectionParameter=rx8_activity
    every Tuesday we have have a chat based on a Mazda platform (although we do tend to wander to all kinds of subjects) where you can meet and greet your fellow forum members. Hope to see YOU there tonight!

PF Flyer
    Host

The MAZDA chat is on TONIGHT. Stop in for a holiday visit! Check out the schedule
  • renesis_runnerrenesis_runner Member Posts: 1
    They are a very nice and fun car for the money. I would tell anyone to get one. I have mine for about 1 year now and I love. Just recently put on a performance exhaust, cold air intake, a veilside body kit and a cowl inducted carbonfiber hood.
  • dwb8dwb8 Member Posts: 1
    Just want to say hi to all the rx8 owners and fans around the world. I just bought my black '05 M/T with G/T pkg and appearence pkg. I couldn't be happier. driving this car makes me feel like I'm 16 again.
    Welcome! Enjoy the gang...we don't bite...much...

And if you had a car like the RX8 when you were 16, you were very lucky!!

(I had a oh-so-sexy Chevette!! LOL!)
  • secondcitysecondcity Member Posts: 28
    Bought my pearl white 05 RX8 on april 29. I opted for the Touring package. I did not want the navigation system because I would prefer to get lost in this car. It is so damn fun to drive!
    After owning a 93 Toyota MR2 turbo back in college (12 short years ago) and a "03 Celica GTS, I finally realized that those 2 cars were "pretenders." The Celica lacked "cahonas" under 6000 RPMs and it took a lifetime to hit 60mph (7 sec+). The MR2 Turbo was fun but impractical, and it lacked the horsepower of the X.
    The Rx8 is a thrill to drive. It handles like a sports car should. People complain about lack of torque-but the X is still quick -and it gets you to what ever speed you want to - in a hurry. Gas hog? Yes -there are better gas mileage cars, but the thrill of the ride puts your concerns to rest. You don't buy this car for the gas mileage-you buy it because you have always wanted something special and something different from anything else you have owned. You will laugh your rear end off as you take corners at 55mph when most cars wipe out at 40mph. It handles and corners like no other car I have driven- and it drives very smooth at speeds of 90+.
    Yeah, I know, I haven't driven too many exotic sports cars. Lambo and Ferrari were "just a tad" out of my range, but my BMW buddies agree that the car handles and performs just as good as their 3's and 5's (excluding the 545i).
    Finally-there is the cool factor involving the "looks and style" of the car. People notice it. Best of all-there are not too many RX8's on the road -so your car does stand out. I love it. Treat it right,-warm it up,-check the oil,-and it won't bite you back. Rev on!
  • tjjjr2tjjjr2 Member Posts: 4
    About 2 months ago I had an urge to get a toy. Just coming out of winter so I wanted to hit Spring running.
    After many driving experiences with many 2 seat sports cars from all makes I fell in love with a 2004 Titanium metalic grey GT package 8 with 9600 miles. It was an impulse and I did zero research other than a 2 hour test drive on every highway, back road, curve that I could find. Worked the tach to the max, took her to 130 and tried to break her loose on many a tight curve. Filled it up to check the MPG and took it home. Since then I only had her out a few times. Stays in the garage until I get home and the sun is up. I feel 140 mile round trips to work each day will wear her out. Of course the few nice weekends we had, we were together all day. It did not come with any service papers or stickers for TSB's. With a build date of July 03 I will probably take it in and have all things checked or need to run the VIN to see whats in the database.
    Please be sure to drop by the Mazda RX-8 Prices Paid & Buying Experience and share your purchase experience.
  • hydroman19hydroman19 Member Posts: 5
    I WAS SOME WHAT RELUTANT TO PURCHASE THIS CAR BUT AFTER READING THESE REVIEWS ABOUT THE 8 MT I AM GOING FOR IT WHAT THE HELL YOU ONLY LIVE ONCE....
  • aj3aj3 Member Posts: 4
    Hello,
    I just bought a RX8. Its a great car. It is the Shinka automatic. I am looking to see if anyone also bought this model and how is your experience.
    Thank you and looking forward to hearing from you.
    AJ
    AJ Welcome!!

As a fellow AT owner (not the Shinka), I am interested in how yours goes! Update us when you can!

The cheeze
    Cheeze,
    Thank u for the reply. I am enjoying the car. It is so smooth to drive. I am getting good MPH as I am driving it very consertively. I have yet to test the actula MPG.
    Be careful of the lowness of the car u are parking in Mall and also the curb. The rims are so low and it can damage the rim. I had already has such an experienece.
    What is your experience with MPG( miles per gallon) in your car.
    AJ
  • yellowrx8yellowrx8 Member Posts: 18
    I am also an AT owner, have a lightning yellow version, and just love it. Have just over 6,000 miles on it. Get roughly 20mpg, which is up from when I first bought it.

Some prior posts here (not necessarily this chat room), have people discussing how they scratched their rims. Be careful with them. Also, some posts lately describe not being so gentle in your driving, but to "blow out the crap" each day. Might hurt the gas mileage, but fun to do. Have to put to manual shift mode to be effective with the AT. :)
    Hi there Cheeze,
    What color did u get. And how is your MPG. I did measure my MPG yet. I am waiting to go a long trip. So far all is good. Enjoy your summer.
    AJ
  • antib0b77antib0b77 Member Posts: 5
    hey yall, i had gotten back from over seas about 6 or 7 months ago, im gettin out of the marine corps so i figured what the hell..... my first car i got when i was 22. bought it myself when i came back from overseas the first time. i bought a honda prelude SH 01 MT, i loved it but after a while it started giving me problems so i traded it in... i pick up my 2004 canary yellow rx-8 MT with the GTpckg today at noon. and from reading all of ur input that everyone has donated, and pathstars great wisdom on the car i am proud to be an owner of an rx-8. i also i paid 25,000 for it, its got 50 miles on it from whatever they do with em at the lot, is that good or bad?
  • pathstar1pathstar1 Member Posts: 1,015
    Probably had a test drive or two. Not a problem. Congratulations! Hope you enjoy it! Sounds like you got a good deal. The yellow will be rare as it's no longer made.
  • lhesslhess Member Posts: 379
    everyone thought I was nuts for wanting yellow, but I honestly wouldn't have bought one if I couldn't find yellow. I love it and it's a real eye-catcher. Miles from the lot shouldn't be an issue. Mine had 800 because the owner of the dealership likes yellow - he drove it the first month. Got me a little more in savings on the car. You'll love it!!
This discussion has been closed.