Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda RX-8 Problems and Solutions

Comments

• ukjimukjim Member Posts: 63
    FYI for CEL coming on for no apparent reason. Dealer had to backpedal from "overevving" claim, cause of the CEL coming on was an intermittent Evaporator pump failure. They replaced the Solenoid valve and Evap valve under warranty.
  • rx8worldrx8world Member Posts: 28
    a friend of mine who has an RX7 asked me if he can use injector cleaner (STP brand).
    What about RX8?can we use it?(because in the manual says"do not use any fuel additives")
  • pathstar1pathstar1 Member Posts: 1,015
    When they tell you not to use fuel additives, I think they are talking about octane boosters. Injector cleaners are usually not a problem. They don't do much, however. To properly clean injectors, the solvent has to be very strong. When a shop cleans injectors "in place", they connect a machine to the fuel line and run the solvent through the injector (and some of it into the engine). It doesn't get to the fuel pump, most of the fuel in the fuel tank isn't dilluted by the solvent, and the injector sees a strong solvent mix, so it works better than fuel additive cleaners.

The best way to clean injectors remains removing them, and sending them off to professional cleaning companies. They test the injectors before and after cleaning, to confirm something has been improved. They also use solvents you wouldn't want to run through an engine. Unless you were sadistic. ;)
    ok...when can we say that the injectors need cleaning?what are the symptoms?
    For the purposes of this forum, (RX-8), injectors could need cleaning after about eight years. So far RX-8s are only up to two years old. I'm sure there is a schedule in the Mazda dealerships.

It's hard to tell when they need cleaning as they get dirty so slowly. On some cars you can tell because the car either starts to run lean or floods all the time. 2nd gen RX-7s did this - the injectors wouldn't close all the way due to deposits and leaked fuel into the engine. Some cars start to get very poor mileage due to improper fuel atomizing.

The RX-8 will present a problem detecting clogged injectors - the injectors are capable of injecting so much fuel that you may never see it go lean. You see, when the car is running "closed loop" it adds enough fuel according to the O2 sensor readings, not just from a preprogrammed map, so it would compensate for clogged injectors. Also, as the car can flood anyway, many will interpret flooding as "normal" behavior. It's different though - injector flooding occurs when the engine is warm as well as cold. And the RX-8 already gets poor mileage. I suppose if it dropped to 10 MPG people would take notice! ;)
    lol...ok,thanks pathstar
  • daleighdaleigh Member Posts: 2
    Hey Guy's,
    Im a new member..recently bought an rx-8 ....and I have already had the engine replaced...waited a month for the replacement because of the dealer..I recently picked the car up from the :mad: dealer..the engine seems to be running great..started it earlier and the engine rared abit..and I am noticing the check coolant light coming on for several seconds then going off..the temp gauge does not read hot at all though...I Popped the hood and grazed over with my hand and felt high heat..I am taking it in to the dealer to get the problems checked..Should I be worried about the coolant or raring problem????
    Any suggestion from anyone would be helpfull..
    Did you check the coolant level?
    When you say raring you mean hard idle?Because if it's that then it's normal.
  • daleighdaleigh Member Posts: 2
    I'll check the colant level again..the raring went away ....but in the morning I start the car and hear a sound like water is moving in the passenger side portion of the dash..at the same time the engine coolant light comes on for about 4 seconds thens goes off..
    Thanks for the reply...
    i can also hear this sound like water moving in the passenger side portion of the dash but no coolant light comes on.It happens only at idle.
    Emmm....we would like some information here about that noise please!!!! :)
    You have air in your coolant system. The air bubble is forced around the heater core and makes the water sounds. Turn the heater on all the way. Make sure the coolant bottle is filled to the full mark. Also make sure the pressure cap is on all the way. Warm up the car. Let it cool off (overnight is best). It should suck coolant from the bottle. If the level didn't go down a bit overnight you have a trapped bubble in the system that normal operation will not remove. Your dealer should know how to fix this. Basically, it involves removing the hose at the highest point in the system - usually a heater hose or throttle body heating hose. Then you can either fill the system from there or use some other means to force the air out. Sometimes you can get the air out by putting a large funnel on the fill point that takes the pressure cap and run the engine with the funnel half full of water. This requires a good seal at the funnel mouth - there is a Lisle part used for this procedure. I found a large funnel that is a tight enough fit to work fine. Be very careful if you attempt this - the system will not be under pressure and can boil easily, so don't heat up the car all the way. If you rev. the engine with this setup sometimes the air bubble will be dislodged and come out the funnel.
    if we don't remove the air from the coolant system what will happen :confuse:
    thanks pathstar
    If it's running fine, nothing. If you have too much air in there it can cause overheating, by reducing flow. I'll bet it will reduce the effectiveness of the heater this coming winter. If the low coolant warning light is coming on, there's too much air. It should all be removed no matter if it's causing problems. It's a simple job for a "real" mechanic - the dealer should be able to handle it (even better than I can), if they really want to.
    it's running fine...no engine coolant light.I've done the trick you told me(turn on the heater after the car was warmed up) and i think it worked!
    Cheers :P
  • mazdarx8ermazdarx8er Member Posts: 7
    Hey guys, do u guys remember about the shaking of the engine and making clanking noises. I recently got my baby checked, my engine usually rumbles, and shakes, when i back up, or when i put in reverse. The dealer told me that my engine holders were cracked and leaking. It was the engine mounters that made my Mazda RX-8 05 shake. So i think i got my problems out of the way, except that sometimes, my AC suddenly start to work 15 minutes after i turned off my car. Weird huh? I saw someone also mentioned about this earlier, couple months ago. Do u guys know anything bout that?
  • llbeanjeepllbeanjeep Member Posts: 21
    Hey there... only had mine for about four days, but the "AC" coming on is a fan to cool the engine down I think. This happens with the car off and you're walking away from it or shortly thereafter if it hasn't cooled down properly yet. No worries, just the car doing its thing. My mom's Saab turbo does the same because of the turbo engine cooling down after you are done driving. I could be way off here, but I was told that's what it is at the dealer. Maybe someone else has a more technical explanation, but I hope this helps! :)
    Yes, lots of cars do this now. The electric coolant fans (on the main radiator) do not switch off with the key. They are controlled by the coolant temp. sensor, so can come on anytime that the coolant is hot enough. Beware of this when inserting a hand in the engine compartment. You -can- loose fingers! Those plastic fan blades are sharp!
  • 1710lab1710lab Member Posts: 1
    Hi
    I have just been told the problem my air con is not blowing cool air ,therefore not working properly is due to stone damage to my condensor.
    Mazda have advised a number of people have same problem yet still not admitting their fault,
    How did you get on when you opened a case with Mazda?
    Are you aware of any other people reporting similar fault?
    What symptoms did your air con have?
  • dwynnedwynne Member Posts: 4,018
    This is getting to be fairly "common" with new cars - they mount the condenser out in front and down low behind an opening. Then if you have bad luck, you could take a rock or stone hit that will cost you some bucks.

This is not covered under warranty since the warranty is for MANUFACTURING defects this would be (to most folks) a DESIGN defect. I would call your insurance company and see if they will help out getting this fixed under your policy. A rock flex up and hit your car and they need to fix it. One of those truck retreads (gators) flew up and hit my 'vette once and they covered it w/o a deductible.

Grille-Tech sells metal grills for the front of a lot of cars that should help prevent this from happening - EXCEPT they don't sell one at this time for the 8 that covers the lower openings. I am sure someone does, I will post a link if I find it.

Dennis
  • cheezeboycheezeboy Member Posts: 218
    Dennis - yes, if you find one of those lower opening covers, let us know! I would be interested. The other day when I washed mine, I looked down inside that area and found a) a crushed Mt Dew can, b) hay(?),and c) a small plastic bottle........mostly stuff blown about from the hurricane......but still makes me worried!!

if nobody does, I will have to go to Home Depot and make something before the next storm comes my way!
    Eave trouf leaf screen seems to work very well. Try to find the metal "expanded" type. It restricts flow the least. You can zip tie it to exsisting parts. Easy to find, easy to cut, just the right size openings in the mesh. You don't want to use screen door mesh - too restrictive. You could overheat.
  • secondcitysecondcity Member Posts: 28
    I have an appointment on Tuesday at a local Mazda Dealer to look into two issues.
    For the last two weeks, I have been hearing a "hissing" or "whistle" sound from underneath my car when I accelerate smoothly between 2900 and 3500 RPM's. I have an "05 and it has 6000 miles on it. I do not recall ever hearing this noise for the first 5600 miles.
    My brakes are also squeaking. I explained my brake noise to the tech over the phone and he mentioned a TSB issued for The Rx8's brake pads. I did not have a lot of time to ask what this means-I should have asked. He said their is another pad available that solves the problem.
    Has anyone else had these two issues??

Other than these small annoyances -the car continues to be the most enjoyable car I have ever owned.
  • cheezeboycheezeboy Member Posts: 218
    Thanks Pathstar....I will look for some "rain gutter cover" stuff at Home Depot...see how much it is....hopefully they have it in black!......it would be great if they had it in the red! LOL!
  • lhesslhess Member Posts: 379
    got an 04 with about 4500 miles. I also got my recall letters on Sat so I'm going to make an appt this week for the recalls, the brake squeal, and a weak battery. the brakes and the battery probs seem to be widespread and easy fixes.
  • maddawgzmaddawgz Member Posts: 5
    Car is 7 months old, 6500 miles on it, regular maintenance, yada, yada, yada....

Problem i am having is twofold.
    First - the auto trans doesn't appear to want to shift into higher gears, especially when coming out of 2nd gear and when it downshifts to pass, etc. It will switch to 3rd gear and then hang out at 2.5k rpm or so and after about 10 seconds at the same speed, it will eventually switch to 4th. I am seeing extremely erratic shifting patterns in this car, of which weren't there in the first 5k miles i put on it. the trans just acts like it isn't in synch with the rpm's. Even though i let off the gas, the car still won't switch gears as i expect.

Second - during that downshift to pass or when reaching high rpm's in 2nd or 3rd gear (above 5k rpm), i notice a rattling sound like i have run over a chain link fence and it is dragging. Once the car shifts to the next gear, the sound is gone. i have tried to rev the car while in neutral to see if i can replicate, but it appears to only occur while moving.

I have had nothing but problems with this car since i bought it. It has been in 5 times to the dealer (clunking brake sound, squealing breaks, 2x for cat converter replacement, 6 disc changer not reading any CD's, and now this tranny issue) I have owned previous rx7 models so i am aware of the "noises" they tend to make, but these just don't sound right.

Any help prior to me taking it in to the dealer for the 6th time would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance
  • bullwinkle fanbullwinkle fan Member Posts: 19
    Maddawgz
    I have also had the same problem with my 04 w/ 13k miles. It started about a year ago at 6k miles. when it would down-shift to 3rd to pass and then stick in 3rd for a few seconds after passing. I brought it to the service righter's attention and the service tech could not dupelacate the problem.
    It has only happened about 6 times over the last year and the last time it happened I had to engage manual shift mode an up shift to 4 gear.
    I just received my recall for gas tank heat shield and ball joint repair so I will mention it again to the service rep and post what I find out.
    I have been watching for anyone else with this type problem for a year now and you are the first to post it. I thought I was alone !
  • mugster1mugster1 Member Posts: 34
    Ive also noticed a squeek in the brakes. It seams to be only on the left side, perhaps because im driving. Other than that the car runs like a dream. On a side note, i decided to try the lower oct gas on the weekend, gas prices are nuts. It seems that im getting better get up and go then i did with the higher stuff. Wierd!
    Anyway, i have to bring the car in for an oil change so i will inquire about the brakes. :shades:
  • yellowrx8yellowrx8 Member Posts: 18
    I had mine in for the brake squeal. Tech said that since pads are not made with asbestos anymore, they will tend to squeak. He did say he would check the brakes in case something is not aligned right or some adjustment can be made. After the service, they rarely squeak.
    the brake squeal is something the dealer in my area said was just some overly "hard" brake pads. They replaced the pads under warranty and i haven't had the squeal since...granted, it has only been a week now, but i am closely monitoring it. I have read in other forums that doing a "panic" stop may help with the noise, but it will only come back. Squeal is common in brakes to my knowledge, specifically to indicate wear when they are critically low on pad thickness, it shouldn't be happening with new cars though.
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Hope you can join us tonight for our weekly chat session! It's always great to meet "new faces" at the chats!

PF Flyer
    Host
    News & Views, Wagons, & Hybrid Vehicles

The weekly Mazda Club Chat is on tonight. The chat room opens at 8:45PM ET Hope to see YOU there! Check out the schedule
    My dealer replaced the pad with the new upgrade. They just serviced it and also took care of the recent recall involving the heat shield/pad. The tech said these brakes should take care of the squeal.

I still have the weird hissing/whistling sound that only occurs between 3000-3500 RPMS though. It only happens when I am in gear and when I am accelerating at a normal rate. The tech drove it for 6 miles and said he could not here it. They were very polite and said I could take one of the techs with me on a ride to try to produce the sound. I did not have time so I rescheduled.
    Its probably nothing-People say the RX8 is quirky and makes weird noises. I still love the car and I am happy with the way it has been serviced.
    Dude u have exactly same experience with ur car as mine. My brakes made noise round that milage, bout 6000. and the engine started making noise at 3500 - 5000 rpms. My engine now Rumbles and Shakes. I took it to the dealer week ago, they said my engine mounts were leaking, so they are going to replace them. Funny thing, I replaced 1 side of the mounters at 6000 miles, because my engine started to shake when i put in reverse. I think you should have the dealer check the engine mounts. I have my car scheduled for exchange of the mounts next monday. I'll let u know more bout it, when i do change them.
    Mazda Rx8er-
    Thanks for your input--I hate not being able to solve a problem. Let me know if the new mounts solve your problem. I hope it works out for you.
    Took RX in for recalls ( gas tank & ball joints ) also for AT not up-shifting......
    BIG MISTAKE The Mazda dealer just opened up a month ago and uses the Jeep, Chrysler, Dodge service dept. next door to them.
    They keep the car all day and then told me I didnt need the recall updates and couldnt dupe the hanging in 3rd gear problem..

I think I'll go back to my other dealer for service from now on even tho its 30 mi's away.I wounder if they will still do the recall updates after the other dealer declined that it was needed ?? :confuse:
    Did you get a recall letter? If you purchased the car after the recall started the dealers have already fixed all the in-stock cars first - so yours might not need anything. The ball joint recall is only for 04 cars, so if you have an 05 it would not apply.

EVERY RX-8 except ones produced after the plant fire have to be recalled and have the gas tank insulation and computer flash done. If yours was recently made or was fixed before you purchased it you are OK, otherwise it needs to be done.

Dennis
    My thing,

KEEP your paperwork saying you brought it in and what they said. If this problem ultimately does occur and damages your vehicle and ends up hosing you, and God forbid, a fire starts, then you got em by the jewels.

It's funny, the dealer can never dupilcate problems we seem to encounter...i continually have a problem with the brakes making a clunking sound right after switching out of reverse and into drive...it happens EVERY time i drive it, yet, they can never get it to make the sound.

I have to get my car in to get the recall stuff done, what ticks me off is i just had my car in for some other stuff 2 days prior to the recall coming in the mail...i know the dealer had to know about it...why didn't they take care of it then...now i have to take yet another day off from work to deal with this.

I think i have learned my lesson with this vehicle...as much as i love the styling and handling of the car, i dont' think i would ever buy a mazda again due to what i am currently experiencing...I don't care if you do have to baby these cars...6 times in the service dept in 7 months is not acceptable in my book.
    is the abs calibrating themselves. pathstar has posted that numerous times (mine do it as well) and says that it is normal. i have had 0 problems from my car and love it. the autos seem to be trouble-prone.
    I received both RECALL's in the mail at the same time ! I think the service rep is so new he hasent got a clue :surprise: He tryed to tell me that the tank recall was for a bad filler hose ??
    My RX8 is a 2004 and has had the " M " flash.18 mo's old with 13k and no troubles except for the rare up-shift problem.
    The service rep said they inspected the ball joints and that no action was needed :confuse:
    I have called my other dealer and I am waiting for a call back.
    Hey guys, I'm very happy. Earlier, i mentioned about my shaking of the engine, it was all about the Engine Mounts. Now the engine is fine, It feels like new car again. But today Morning I went WTH!!!!! I think the cords or the battery has problems now!!!! It wouldn't start, I knew i turned all the lights off when i left. But i parked it in weird angle maybe that was it. But weiiird. I stuffled with my battery a bit, then I turned it on by force. But after driving it for 7 - 8 minuts, it should have been enough, but back to not starting! I think the dealer messed up the cords when they changed my mounts!! I am so pissed!!! And I have school 2 hours from now, and I need the car to be fixed, blah blah ETC!!!
    THanks Lhess and Bullwinkle, ya'lls input is helping me curb some of my "concerns" about the cars stability going forward. I will say, i have owned 2 previous rotary engined vehicles (92 rx7 and 85 rx7) both of which never had some of the quirkiness i am experiencing here. I let the car sit for a week and drove it this past weekend, only "getting up" on it a few times and i couldn't readily reproduce the upshift issue as i had before...maybe a outside temp thing or something (it was about 20 degrees cooler this day). I'll continue to see if anyone has input on the tranny not wanting to shift, that still concerns me a great deal.
    Does anyone else have a lot of rust forming on the inside of the wheel. Im not talking about the brake rotors but where the wheel lugs are located. Brought it into the dealer for an oilchange, had them look and they basically said nothing. Apparently its the metal they use!!!!
    I think EVERY 8 I have seen has this - just a "design" issue....

Dennis
  • loflyerloflyer Member Posts: 1
    Hi all. I am new to this forum and have already noticed several postings about the flooding issue. First off, I noticed some people saying they have got 2 recall notices. I have only gotten one. Second, the reason why I found this place, is that I have had my RX-8 in twice now to the dealer because supposedly my engine is flooding. It happend this past winter and then this morning!! Of course both times i was told it was my fault because I am not letting the car warm up. It was at least 70 degrees out this morning. If I need to baby this car, I will, but I need someone to tell me exactly what not to do instead of waiting until it is at the dealership to find out. Can someone please help me? Thanks. :mad:
    If you have an 04 (and maybe an early 05?) then you just get the one recall notice for the fuel tank. The older cars also have a recall for the front suspension problem. If you only got the tank recall, then that is all you need.

The flooding thing I thought was covered right in the owner's manual, but I just checked my PDF copy and I didn't see it. It is talked about in this service bulletin.

Basically, any time you start the car you need to let it warm up fully before you shut it off. So if you pull it out of the garage cold to wash it, you have to let it warm up or you may be calling the flat bed to haul your 8 into the dealer. It also helps to rev the motor up to 4-5k before you shut it off. The outside temp does not matter, just remember when you start it let it run (at idle or driving it) until the temp shows normal.

Dennis
    engine temp doesn't have anything to do with the outside temp (except on warm days the engine will warm up faster). I have a super-short trip to work (I usually walk unless the weather prohibits) so I usually allow time to make a trip around the block to give it a little more time to warm up. If I have to shut if off before a really good warm-up, I use the 4-5K rev that Dennis mentioned. I have had no problems with my car flooding.
  • mkollmkoll Member Posts: 21
    Anyone experience an engine squeek which is most audible when the car is warm and idling? Had the dealer check it out yesterday and they tell me that it is a normal noise from the oil pump? Supposedly there is no prior information regarding this problem and the Mazda techs told the dealer that this noise is more noticable on some RX8's than others but that it is normal? At the dealer we had the car up on the rack. The engine mounts checked out, and belt lube did nothinig.
    I have been next to other Rx's at the gas station and not heard those vehicles making this squeek.
    Any thoughts?
    My RX8 is a 2004 and I have had problems with transmision failure, warped rotors, and battery failure.
    So heres the problem, and was wondering if anyone else has experience the same thing. Basically the powers seats works when im not sitting in the car. Once ive sat down and try to find the perfect sitting arrangements, i lose every power adjustment except to the recline and lumbar. I cant move the back of the seat up unless i move forwrd and take the preasure of the back as well, i cant lift the seat up.
    Anyone having the same problem?? :surprise:
  • rx8grlrx8grl Member Posts: 1
    My check engine light came on several times, the first time they weren't sure why it came on and reset it, the second time they replaced a sensor. I've had a few problems with my rx8, today had it checked by Mazda tech because the car would vibrate when I was at stop lights, felt like it was missing. The tech said he order a motor mount. He's putting it in tomorrow. He said he has seen a few with this problem. I got my car this past April with 14 miles on it and now I have 13,000. I drive 100 miles round trip to work and back and it's the most fun I have all day. My husband said it is my mid-life crisis car. I absolutely love driving it.. In fact I couldn't fathom driving an automatic.
  • packrat78packrat78 Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone else had a problem with not having heat coming off the heater after the car is warmed up? I have taken it to the dealership 3 times now, and all they have done is replace the thermostat. After that they said it was good to go, and then as soon as I got on the highway doing about 75 cold air started blowing out again. Any help with this would be great.
  • sstbabysstbaby Member Posts: 2
    I purchased a my 2004 RX-8 almost two years ago, and I've had nothing but a series of problems. I've had my car in the shop for a series of issues such as: brakes squeeling, loss of engine power, rough idling, poor fuel performance. The saga just seems to continue. On 11Jul2004, my car was serviced for 30 days at the local dealer as they needed to replace the '04 engine. Apparently, it was having the same problems the '05's were diagnosed as having, so they replaced the entire engine. At that time the dealer performed the recall work (exhaust). Now, the car seems to be worse!! The performance is horrible and the GAS MILEAGE IS SEVERELY IMPAIRED. I DROPPED MY CAR OFF AT THE DEALER THIS WEEK WITH 128 MILES THAT BURNED 3/4 TANK OF GAS!!!! With the insane gas prices, this is extremely outrageous. The tech has indicated that they cannot find any problems (the engine is not loading, no computer errors). Does anyone have any earthly idea as to why my gas mileage would be severely impaired? I average only 200-215 miles out of a full tank of gas. Is anyone else experiencing this???? This is city driving in uncongested traffic. Please help! :(:cry:
This discussion has been closed.