Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda RX-8 Problems and Solutions

Comments

• flatpickflatpick Member Posts: 43
    >>>I average only 200-215 miles out of a full tank of gas.

About same for me in Chlt, NC....30 mle day driving....its definitely a hurt on the wallet.....I been tossing it around with the DTC off to fend off gas price blues...same MPG it seems.... :confuse:
  • lhesslhess Member Posts: 379
    200.5 miles on a 12.34 gallon fill-up means a little over 16 mpg. I'm pleased with that. 95% of my driving is in town in stop and go or slow-moving. I only have 4800 miles on the car, but mpg has been steadily improving. Also, my brakes are squealing and I plan to mention it at my next oil change. Yes, it idles rough which I mentioned on my last oil change and they felt it was in the "normal" range. No loss of power in mine - runs beautifully!!

sstbaby - is it a AT or MT?
  • dwynnedwynne Member Posts: 4,018
    I have a lot less miles on mine, but I only get 13-15mpg commuting to work (about 12 miles each way).

The last tank on my S2000 returned around 21mpg, which is way low for it. So maybe they are giving us WEAK gas and over-charging us for it?

Dennis
  • secondcitysecondcity Member Posts: 28
    Break squeal:
    I had my pads replaced-- updated to a better pad--covered by Mazda-which is supposed to solve the squeak. A TSB was issued on the pads (according to the Mazda Tech.) My squeal began at about 4600 miles and I had the pads replaced at 6000.
    Gas mileage: My best avg was about 17 mpg @ 220 miles on 13 gallons used. Thats my best. I usually get about 185-210 for 13 gallons used,--but I drive fast-Actually -I drive like an idiot.
    86 degrees in Chicago on Wed. and now its 50 degrees a day later. Winter is coming. I spent close to $850 on 4 Blizzaks and I am having them put the tires on in two weeks. I heard about some of the horror stories of people trying to operate the car on snow and ice-and I took their advice. The car runs great --I'm at about 7500 miles since my April purchase/ and I refuse to be bothered by the gas mileage. My attitude and obnoxious driving habits may change when gas hits $5.00 a gallon.
  • sstbabysstbaby Member Posts: 2
    I just picked up my car at the dealer. Manual RX-8's are notorious for bad fuel mileage. A few suggestions from my tech that will help all of us:
    Use Supreme Gas!! Yes, it does cost more, but it is supposed to help
    Put an oil and fuel additive in your car every 3000-5000 miles (Prolong, etc.)
    When available in your area, replace the air in your tires with NITROGEN. Yep!! It's the new thing. Airplanes and Nascar uses this in their tires and it's just as safe and leaks out less. It will cost about $30 to get this done once it comes to your area. Costco members get it done free (I think) and alot of your big name automotive shops will soon start offering this. This will help out with about a 10% improvement on your mileage.

Good luck to us all!!
  • chessiechessie Member Posts: 9
    I have had nothing but problems with my 8. I love it as far as looks, but besides that it is a piece of junk. :lemon: I have not had the car even a year yet, but have replaced. The catylitic convertor, dip stick twice, had battery and starter problems, brake problems, oil sensor problems, power steering went out while driving, one thing after another. My car is now in the court system. My lawyer also has three other 8's with identical problems in the court system as well. I find it interesting that you can not find a 2006 RX8. Maybe Mazda has realized their problem and stopped production. Ford being involed with Mazda did not want the 8 produced in the first place. Mazda talked them into it's production. Ford has got to be kicking themselves in the butt now for giving in.
    chessie
    however lemons can happen to any manufacturer and on any car. I love mine and have had zero problems - hope it stays that way.

Someone posted earlier that production on the 2006 won't start until November and they'll start showing up on lots in December or January (posting from memory here so I may not be exact) - pretty good reason for not seeing any yet.

I don't think Ford owns enough of Mazda to call the shots on what they choose to produce or don't produce.
    What is the build date on your car? How about the others the lawyer represents?

There have been quite a few problems for sure with the really early build cars, but in general the cars seem to be working out OK. The later your car was made the fewer problems, it seems.

Any car model and company can make a bad car, a guy I know paid big bucks for a BMW 5 series and in the end BMW had to buy it back since they could not fix it. Another person had a Nissan Titan in the shop so much they brought in engineers from Japan and the plant in the USA to fix it. In both case it was a first year car or a totally new design - like buying an RX-8 in late 03 or early 04 (or getting an early built one at any time).

Dennis
    in her post. My sister bought a top of the line Ford Expedition a couple of years ago and shelled out a heck of a lot more money than any of us did for an RX8. Anyway, she never gets to drive it. It is back in the shop every couple of months for SOMETHING. She ended up buying a used Hyundai for 2 reasons: High cost of gas, and, she was tired of driving a loaner from the Ford Dealership all the time.

I think the problem these days is the fact that competition is so stiff in the car business. These companies have to be constantly cranking out new models to keep people interested and buying. Unfortunately, the folks that have to have "one of the first ones" ends up being the tail end of the R & D session. It does lead to some unhappy customers!!
  • lkaylkay Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a RX8 and yes, gas sucks. They say 18 city and 24 hwy, but there is no way!! I too get around 215 per tank? I love my car but, I dont like putting gas in it all the time either. High Performance engine, I guess.
    Linda
  • pathstar1pathstar1 Member Posts: 1,015
    Still new? If so, you'll find the mileage will get better as you break it in. Be patient, it takes almost 10,000 mi. to start getting "normal" mileage (for an RX-8).
  • audia8qaudia8q Member Posts: 3,138
    After driving alot of RX-8's I have found the gas mileage to be accurate IF you don't drive the 8 the way it begs to be driven. LOL....Of course, I drive it like a nut anyway and the MPG reflects it....
    and the rare times I get it out on the open road, I tend to be a little "aggressive" in it. Even with my driving, my mpg's have improved over time. I have right at 5K miles on mine and my in-town has increased from barely 14 to right at 16 consistently. I have even down one highway trip that got me almost 22. I have always used premium gas, if that matters. Give it some time!!
  • jason0820jason0820 Member Posts: 21
    Anyone, especially those with replaced engines, experience excessive carbon buildup in their engines?? From what I've been reading about this issue, seems to be a particular problem with Renesis rotary with the side exhaust port design. Also, the new PCM flashes supposedly increase oil pump volume to the seals, which would increase deposits and carbon buildup... has anyone else heard or confirm this??
    in the autos. If you don't use the paddle shifter and rev it pretty high sometimes, the carbon will build up. I have the MT and my service guy said to make it a habit of red-lining it every now and again to keep that from happening. He also told me anyone that drives like granny should buy something else.

I think if you look back through this thread and some of the other 8 threads, you'll find some good advice about this issue. Pathstar and some others really have the rotary nailed down.
  • wpavlik2wpavlik2 Member Posts: 32
    I would think if you aren't hotrodding it around, the DSC/TC wouldn't make a difference at all.I have a 6sp 04
    The sports pack should have been standard on all RX-8s and is pretty much a must have. On the 6mt cars it adds the HID lights and DSC/TC plus the fog lights. The dealer cost is less than $1k and is a no brainer. The headlights and fog lights are a huge plus, but not nearly as much as the safety net of having the DSC system. On the AT 8s it costs more, but adds the low profile tires, larger brakes, and better suspension in addition to the fogs, HIDs, and DSC/TC.

No matter if you are "hot rodding around" or just cruising you need it. I hit a patch of black ice one morning in a 330i I used to own and before I could THINK about correcting the skid the computer and fixed it for me. Ditto hitting a bunch of gravel mid-corner in a C5 'vette. COULD I have corrected and not wrecked? Maybe - but I didn't have to since the DSC systems did it for me.

It REALLY is needed in a RWD car since so many folks have little or no RWD experience. With FWD you get in a corner too hard or something is in the road and all you need to do is lift. With a RWD car lifting in a corner can be a bad thing. With RWD you need to slow down so you lift, the back end feels like it is going to come around so you lift more and oops around you go. Happens a lot to S2000 owners and RX-8 owners who said "I don't need DSC".

Really kills the value on the used market too - and only saves < $1k at purchase time.

Dennis
  • wpavlik2wpavlik2 Member Posts: 32
    Don't get me wrong, I'm glad I have a GT package. I leave DSC on all the time, because, I've been driving mostly Front wheel drive cars for the past 20 years. (other than some SUVs which are entirely different, anyway...)
    I don't see where turning OFF DSC would make a noticeable difference in fuel economy.
    on a side note...
    When I first was looking at the 8, I actually considered buying a base model, but I realized really quick that I needed at a minimum the Sport package, then, when I started reading what the packages have, I KNEW the only way to go (for ME) was GT. (I really wanted the heated seats and mirrors)
    I have an 05 w/GT pack so I am supposed to have DSC/TCS - I have the light and the button. Never had much occasion to "Test" it, though.

It was raining this morning - maybe the first time in about 3 weeks (and you know how slick that first rain can be). Pulling away from a stop sign in first gear (6mt) the rear tires turn over. I keep my foot in it as I am in a straight line, no traffic around, and I want to see how the TCS would work - it never did. I think I held the spinning tires for several seconds and no light lit up and no loss of power or other sign it was doing ANYTHING. The light does come on when I turn the key on, then goes off - and comes on solid if I bypass the system with the switch.

This has to be either the least intrusive system I have even tried or it does not work properly....

I am planning a parking lot test sometime soon to test it more.

Dennis
    If you have it and it's working it will "shut you down" within a sec. or so. At least ours does. I'm not sure if it takes action immediatly if both rear wheels spin the same amount - but it does after 15 sec. or so (drag race testing). It doesn't seem intrusive - it just takes control if you are about to loose it - as we experience on snow and ice.
  • secondcitysecondcity Member Posts: 28
    DSC/TCS: It will kick in when the rear end of the car begins to tail out. I can spin the tires going in a straight line too. My DSC kicks in on turns in wet weather sometimes as I accelerate to quickly into the turn. Do the parking lot test though-That is a great idea to get a bit more familiar with it.
  • fatty35fatty35 Member Posts: 1
    I changed out my old intake with a cool air intake and also put on a G-ready exhaust and new pullies. After I did all that My car is having a problem idea ling. It goes from about 1000 rpm to 500 and up and down and then after about 2 to 3 minutes it stalls. I can't figure it out. Anybody have any ideas. :mad:
    Strange TCS system if it lets you spin the wheels in a straight line - never had one that would do that before.

I do plan on some more "testing" when we have another nasty day and I have some time.

It was in the 30's a couple of mornings this week (we just set a record high last week near 90) and the GT seat heaters are pretty poor compared to what I have had in the past. One temp and it takes them about as long as the coolant in the radiator to warm up. I guess it will be more noticeable when it REALLY gets cold....

Still love the car, just not EVERYTHING about the car - like I got a little over 13mpg on the last tank :cry:

Dennis
    2004 RX8 Red MT, purchased 10/2003, 20K miles..... my only car so I drive it everyday & weekends & in all weather except snow....only time I drove it in snow the TCS kicked in if rear tires started to spin simultaneously....I was on a hill and it would not move....

Blast to drive.....I put that TCS to test often and like it off in dry safe road conditions and love to have it when wet or slick....

Good Luck!
  • tomatnavytomatnavy Member Posts: 27
    13mpg seems outrageous--I really don"t understand this.I get 18-19mpg during my 35 mile commute to work,freeway driving yes,but 4th or 5th gear. Some of this driving involves stop and go--1st,2nd,3rd gears--still never anything as bad as even 16mpg.The only time I saw this was when I drove it hard for 50miles or so[6500 to 8500rpm]. This brings me to the issue of gasoline used--here in california we use oxgenated gas[as much as 10% can be in the formulation].Perhaps some of you might like to try this to see if you get better results.You can add ethanol,methanol,isopropyl alcohol,perhaps acetone to your gas when you fill up.One gallon of any one of these to 12/13 gallons of gas.
  • m_s_sm_s_s Member Posts: 1
    Not sure this could be the ball joint recall, but I find that although the car tracks well driving straight forward, as soon as I turn to either side a little, it tends to pull quite hard to that side and I have to fight it. I have about 20k on it and don't remember this from the early days. On uneven pavement this can be quite annoying and requires keeping a strong hold on the steering wheel.

I did have the regular tire rotations a couple of times and replaced a tire on one side up front. Can this be related to a tire issue? Almost feels like a tire steel belt is loose and shifting...
  • goinginsanegoinginsane Member Posts: 2
    I have the same gas mileage, I get 216 miles at the most to the tank. I never thought it as an issue, just that the gas mileage is terrible.

On another note, I washed my car yesterday and pulled it into the garage. I went to start it this morning and it won't start. I found this website today and read about the flooding, but we replaced the spark plugs and it still doesn't start so it got towed today. Mazda is closed today so tomorrow hopefully I will have answers. Does anybody know of any additional issues aside from the floodingthat could cause that?
    did you try to start it using the "de-flooding" method in the owner's manual?
  • goinginsanegoinginsane Member Posts: 2
    yes I tried that, it didn't work-- Replaced the plugs still doesn't work, so it's at the dealer there were other things they needed to do anyway like replace my rear taillight since there is enough water for a goldfish, and a broken visor
    It's most likely it was flooded. It's not easy to unflood - you have to be "brutal" and crank it a lot - it takes about 5 min. to unflood typically, if you don't catch it with the proper procedure right away. Push starting is sometimes the easiest way. There are plugs on the intake ports that can be removed for oil injection to help with unflooding. And a further warning to owners who flood their car - if you do get it started, DON'T PANIC. It will smoke a lot for a few minutes once started. Just let it do its' thing - keep it running with the throttle. If you panic and let it die or shut it off, you may be facing the same onerous task to restart it!
  • bullwinkle fanbullwinkle fan Member Posts: 19
    Some of you my think I made this up !!!!

I opened my hood after washing the 8 and discovered the DIP STICK missing ???
    A few days before this I heard a metallic noise ( like a metal coat hanger hitting the floor ) when I started it up to leave for work. I got out and looked around and found nothing.
    After several deep breathes and almost dead flashlight I located the stick just laying behind the radiator next to the left front fender.......to my amazement no oil had been lost. Now two things may have happened, #1 the dealer left the stick out laying on the inside fender after the oil change I had 2 and 1/2 months & 1,200 miles ago , OR #2 Is I heard the dip stick being blown out of the tube holder a week or so ago ???
    Any thoughts or ideas ?!? I am thinking of tying a cord to the sticks handle.
  • rx8rookierx8rookie Member Posts: 1
    Flywheel just went out at 35k miles...and its not a warranty item because its considered wearable....so I'm currently up to $1700 in parts. I called and complained...which won't get me anywhere, but I was curious to see if anyone else has encountered this problem. So it's guaranteed I'm driving it till 48k miles and then dumping the P.O.S. Too bad they can't build it to last...they almost had a real winner. I might have to buy american if crap like this keeps up in the world of cost savings.
    Yes I agree with all of you that the engine flooding is a real pain in the rear. Mazda is down plugs, a battery, and a starter. Roadside assistance has a coffe mug with their name on it at my place.
    :(
    Check the PCV valve. You may be getting pressure in the oil pan.
    I think with cooler weather here I am getting better mileage. I am going to fill up today so I should see - EXCEPT my 12 or so mile commute took 50 minutes this morning, so my mileage will suffer no matter what.

If you did not let your 8 fully warm up before you shut it off then it is likely flooded. Did you get the DVD in the mail from Mazda? They cover this and how to de-flood it ("in theory"). With the puny OEM battery most of us would drain it to nothing before we could get a heavily flooded 8 to start.

Dennis
  • ukjimukjim Member Posts: 63
    Something sounds wrong here because while the clutch plates are subject to wear, but should last in excess of 80K miles (subject to driving style) the flywheel is not, except for the teeth that are engaged by the starter motor. Unless the design of the rotary motor clutch is significantly different than a recip motor, the flywheel should not need replacing. Can anyone else shed some light on this?
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    If the clutch plate wears out to be thin enough, it will destroy the flywheel when the clutch disk rivets are exposed....you have to really fry a clutch disk to damage the flywheel, which is why it is often characterized as the owner's problem.

Also, a clutch disk slipping at high speed creates tremendous heat, and this can 'burn" or fracture the flywheel, or create "hot spots" that require re-surfacing. In extreme cases the bell housing will explode (people slipping the clutch at very high speeds to get out of a ditch, snow, etc.).

So, the short answer is that if your clutch starts slipping, stop driving or further damage may result.
  • ukjimukjim Member Posts: 63
    Thanks for the clarification, it sounds a bit disingenuous tho of Mazda not to warranty the flywheel in this instance given the relatively low mileage. This is the first posting I have seen regarding this issue so perhaps Rx8rookie just had a bad flywheel.
    One other issue people might find of interest is the smog check required in CA or other States that have similar requirements. I just moved to CA from RI and by law the car has to be smog checked despite only being a year old. I went to 4 different smog station in SoCal and none could communicate with the OBDII box, it is a new CAN? type and many shops do not have the revised software. Even the Union 76 station the Long Beach dealer uses all the time could not just plug the computer in (this was the first RX8 they had seen). They had to "jury rig" the spark pickup to get it to work (they could not even use the inductive loop). 45 minutes later it was done but it seems that only shops with the CAN version software or a thorough understanding of the system will get it to work.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Well a flywheel is this rather large chunk of steel. You have to work at it to hurt it, you really do. I think if it say chunked out at the ring gear (where the starter engages) that could be a faulty weld and factory defect, or if a securing bolt worked loose, that too could be an assembly defect, --- but if it is "burned" or stress-cracked or gouged that's probably the owner's wallet. Fair's fair.
    13mpg seems outrageous--I really don"t understand this. I get 18-19mpg during my 35 mile commute to work,freeway driving yes,but 4th or 5th gear. Some of this driving involves stop and go--1st,2nd,3rd gears--still never anything as bad as even 16mpg.The only time I saw this was when I drove it hard for 50miles or so[6500 to 8500rpm

I filled up tonight - 14.64mpg . It probably would have been over 15 or even 16 if I had not had such a bad commute this morning. It is around 12-14 miles one way with part of it stop and stop and the last few miles freeway at 45-55mph. Normally this is 20-25 minutes but today was 50 minutes with a LOT of sitting at idle.

I do drive the car in the spirit for which it is intended - so I rev it up, but not when crawling along.

When I drive the S2000 on the SAME route, with the top down, and in a similar manner I get 23mpg. Both the S and the 8 have about the same miles on them.

Dennis
  • tomatnavytomatnavy Member Posts: 27
    The kind of driving we do seems similar--you may want to try adding some ethanol or other oxgenate fuel to your gas to see if you get any improvement. There are some dozen or so different gasoline formulations thruout our country--some sections just may have better gasoline than others.
  • rx8red1rx8red1 Member Posts: 7
    I just recently got my rx8 and btw how great it feels to be only 19 and buy a car like this is wonderful....anyways i only get about 200 to 250 miles on a full tank and the only problem i have noticed with my car so far is that it seems to have trouble starting almost like i have to let it over crank...has anyone else had this?
  • rx8red1rx8red1 Member Posts: 7
    *goinginsane* i have the same problem with my rear taillight only have had it for 4 weeks or so and it rained and now there is all kinds of water in my rear drivers side taillight....did mazda replace that for free for you? i think it should be under warranty right?
  • trispectrispec Member Posts: 305
    Rev it to 3000RPM for 10 seconds, then kill the ignition while still at 3000. This procedure guarantees that fuel left in the chambers will burn up completely. Also, warm-up the car completely, 10 minutes run time at least, before doing the 3000RPM rev cut off process.

This is the standard rotary engine operating procedure since the first rotary engine was made. Consider it a privilege. All my neighbors think I'm showing off. I just let them.
    When re-starting a warm/hot RX-8 it helps to turn the key on, but not far enough to crank. Then wait a few seconds - I usually wait until the "RX-8" has disappeared from the center display - and then turn it on to crank. It makes my 8 a LOT easier to start. Has no effect on a cold motor, though.

Also, there is a service bulletin for a newer, larger battery. If you have trouble all the time no matter how you treat the car then you may just need a new battery.

A copy of the bulletin is here - in PDF format.

Dennis
    I'm not sure I understand what turning on the key,but not enough to turn over engine would do to help start car. Would this not allow all accesories to drain as much from battery before sending current to the starter, hence making the battery weaker before every start?

And this pdf: http://www.finishlineperformance.com/rx8/docs/pdf/01-042-04-1429.pdf

I can not find in it where Mazda is recommending a larger battery due to starting problems. It appears to only be warning techs about not blocking the cooling vents on the battery compartment that direct air around the battery if a larger one is installed and doing so will effect reliability of battery.

Other issues fixed 11/3/2005 : Fog lamp failure - faulty connection, exhaust rattle - ?? fixed after recall, exhaust recall, ball joint recall
    That should be the TSB that lists the part number for the newer, higher capacity battery. If you have an 04 that you for sure have the puny battery, as do a lot of folks with 05 cars. If you print out the TSB and take it to the dealer with complaints of slow cranking and hard starting they SHOULD replace the battery with the newer, larger model for free under warranty.

I assume the turning on the key and pausing lets the electric fuel pump build up pressure prior to trying to fire the motor. I was complaining on another 8 forum about how hard my 8 was to start when hot (hot out, and when just driven). I would come out from running and errand and would have to C-R-A-N-K to get the car re-started. Several folks replied to try this tip - and it worked like a champ.

I would suggest you TRY it and see if it works for you as well. Makes 0 difference (that I can tell) when my car is cold, but gets my 8 started quicker when it is warm/hot than trying to just fire it right up.

Dennis
    If you're having trouble starting a warm engine, waiting after turning the key to on can improve it because the problem -may- be fuel vapour bubbles in the injector feed rails. Waiting allows the fuel pump to build up pressure, collapsing the bubbles. Waiting also allows the PCM (computer) to finish testing the various motors and solonoids in the intake system and setting the injector duty cycle for the current temp.

We can speculate all we want here, just try it and if it helps then the problem is solved!
  • zoom11zoom11 Member Posts: 1
    Yep...I've had the same problem. Only seems to happen when you slow down/uneven pavement. It's been great on the hwy. It may just be sensitive steering.
    Be aware the RX-8 has "wide" tires on it compared to most vehicles. Wide tires tend to try to climb up slight sags in the road, such as the worn wheel tracks often found on heavy use roads. If you're not used to this it would feel like something was wrong with the steering.

The result is the car doesn't want to go straight down the road - it wants to dart left and right.
  • trispectrispec Member Posts: 305
    Same here. The steering appears to be designed for... drum roll please... well designed and maintained roads. If the roads you drive on suck, then driving an RX-8 on those road will suck too.

Here's the test. Go get a normal American made sedan, SUV, or truck and drive over the suspected section of the road. You should be able to detect the left and right pull, but just not nearly as much as in the RX-8.

I had a frontend guy glance at my RX-8 when I was alarmed by the same strong pull left and right. He went into this long description or how bad the American road system is compared to the Germany Auto Ban, i.e. eight feet of road bed in Germany verses eight inches in the US.

Oh well, my RX-8 costs way way less in the States than it does in any EU country, so I'm happy with my crappy roads.
This discussion has been closed.