Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda RX-8 Problems and Solutions

Comments

• chessiechessie Member Posts: 9
    My RX8 is having the same problems. Tires are also very loud. with only after having the car only 1 1/2 years very low mileage I was told by the dealership I need new tires because the ones I have are cupped. They told me it is common with the hire performance tires. They must think I'm a fool to believe that.

:lemon: So Sad
  • rx8wannabrx8wannab Member Posts: 17
    Note the following from http://www.tirecradle.com/tirefacts.htm.

"Vibration Problems:
    In new tires, most vibration problems are a function of tire balance. The exception to this is the new car with low profile tires that has been sitting for prolonged periods. This phenomenon is often seen with imports as they sit in containers while crossing the ocean.

Other causes of vibrations are wheels that are out of round or warped. Aluminum wheels are very prone to this problem and the wider the diameter of the wheel, the greater the tendency for this to occur.

If you have a vibration problem we recommend the you seek out a Hunter model 9700-wheel balance system; they are diagnostics for most tire and wheel problems. We also recommend that when changing tires you select a system that does not touch the wheel while dismounting or mounting the tires."

There was also an article in the Wall Street Journal a few months ago about how many people have been surprised and dismayed at how "high maintenance" their low-profile tires are, and how expensive to replace. So maybe your dealer wasn't lying to you.
  • trispectrispec Member Posts: 305
    It's very hard to image how an RX-8 sitting for weeks can end up with a tire balance problem, when travelling 85MPH over the typical US Interstate highway system probably impacts the tire surface a thousand time greater. If just sitting warps tires then driving would certainly completely destroy them.

Or did a point get missed on my part?
  • baknpatbaknpat Member Posts: 3
    Thank you to pathstar. I got my son's car running again in time for his return from weekend army drill. I gave him this website for future use when he has questions. You saved my day and now I can once again drive his sporty little car...makes me feel like I'm 18 again. :)
  • pathstar1pathstar1 Member Posts: 1,015
    Great job! It takes a lot of patience and intestinal fortitude to get a flooded rotary going again! Most leave it to the dealer. :o
  • secondcitysecondcity Member Posts: 28
    I let a friend move my car without thinking about the flood issue. He moved about five feet to let another car out of his driveway. The next day, when I went to start it, it would not turn over. I have an '05 with all the flashes performed. It was flooded.

I remembered the flooding procedure. After attempting to start the car with the accelerator pressed to the floor, I became a little discouraged. It took almost ten minutes of repeating this procedure, but it does work.

On (approximately) the 10th attempt, I actually took my foot off the accelerator, turned the key, and for the first time, the car almost turned over -with black smoke coming out of the exhaust.

I had to do another 5 more starts with the accelerator pressed to the floor again. I then let the pedal back off the floor, turned the key, and the car finally turned over. This time, a ton of black smoke came out and I had to rev the car to keep it from dying again. After a few minutes-it was back to normal.

This procedure does work, but it takes a lot of patience. I know keeping the pedal to the floor cuts off fuel to the engine and helps the car burn off any excess fuel. After a period of time, I did have to let my foot off the accelerator to get the car to turn over.

Hope this never happens to anyone. Remember-TELL ANYONE AND EVERYONE who drives your car to let the damn thing warm up! I love the car still, but I do not want a repeat of this.
  • nojetsnojets Member Posts: 31
    I have the exact same spec car, and the problem is that you are burning the CD's as MP3's. If you burn them in conventional format they'll play just fine - you just won't get near as many songs on each CD. Ironically I persuaded my dealer to "upgrade" my single CD to the 6 CD player, and in the process I think I "downgraded" from a single, MP3 compatible player to a 6 CD system that was not able to play MP3's. '05 RX8s and newer can all play MP3s.
  • nannerhutnannerhut Member Posts: 7
    I just replaced my windshield..and had a company come to my house over the weekend to replace it on my RX-8. the said to let the car sit for 45 minutes while the windshield was sealing. However, when my husband went to start the car 2 hours later, it wouldn't start. This is not a battery problem...the battery is fine...but the engine will not start at all. Could the windshield tech. have disabled something..or by just replacing the windshield, will that cause the computer in the car to shut down (as if in an accident or something?)..it happend on Sat. and the dealership is closed until Monday...and ideas on what happend or what we can do?
    Rachel
  • jdelisiojdelisio Member Posts: 1
    i have a 2004........this is the 5th time it wont start. first it was said to be a bad battery,then next non starting time it was said to be a def battery so battery,spark plugs.,etc were changed...3 weeks later same scenario wouldnt start....the on board comp was sent out to be reprogramed...and here we r again it doesnt start...its a 50/50 chance tht when i get in it it will start i am going to pursue the lemon law..love me y car but i need it to be reliable.
  • fishnhardfishnhard Member Posts: 20
    Hey all, I have a 2005 RX-8 sport, and I am at a loss with the squeeky brakes!! Been back to the dealer for the 3rd time to finally get "updated pads and shims". Will find out later today when I pick it back up. I has also started to pull right when you apply the brakes. Then to top it all off it more or less backfired last night when we got in the 5K rpm range. Told the dealership and said more than likly it was a fuel problem. I am an ASE mechanic so I do know just a bit about cars, the only reason I am getting the updated pads is because I talked with the tech and had him call the techline about puting Ceramic pads on. To also help with all the brake dust this car produces. The car is a blast to drive, but my wife is now very unsure about the car. Oh yea we bought it in FEB 06, and it has 3100 miles on it. So with this low miles and 4 trips to the dealer makes me worry. I have never been a big fan of Mazda other than the RX's. Any other imput would be great. Thanks all
  • baknpatbaknpat Member Posts: 3
    The price of gas has forced my son to buy a motorcycle for his trips to and from work. I would like to know if the RX-8 is capable of running on a lower octane than the 93 premium which is now at a premium price. One man told us that he runs mid-grade in his vehicle with no problem. I am skeptical of this and do not wish to try it until I am assured that it would not hurt the engine. Any one out there tried this with success?
    Lots of owners even run 87 octane regular. In fact, the rotary runs -better- with lower octane fuel (until you reach the "detonation zone"). Reason is the large combustion chamber slows down ignition so fuels that burn with less "incentment" (heat from compression etc.) do better. If you do end up reaching the "detonation zone", don't worry, the RX-8 has an excellant protection mechanism and you'll notice it in action right away. It shuts down the engine to "limp mode" for a few seconds and if the detonation recurrs (three times in a short period I think it is) it retards ignition for 15 min as I recall.

We've experienced this effect while tuning with piggyback fuel computers - but only when we reached really lean conditions. The piggyback fuel computer (Greddy e-Manage) increases HP output by cutting back on fuel in the engine thus operating it much closer to perfect stoich. conditions which results in more power. Mazda can't do this as it overheats the cat. - we replaced the cat with a state-of-the-art metallic cat. As we are tuning for what is essentially racing conditions, we don't have to worry about the life of the cat. We found trouble started at HP outputs of 245-255 HP (stock is actually around 220 real world). We had to use "racing fuel" at these levels (octane ratings of 96-98). Lots of xylene and/or tolulene in the fuel.

I find running the gas with a little ethanol in it works best - burns very clean and resists detonation. 5-10% is what they claim they add.
  • duke15duke15 Member Posts: 161
    How much gas does he put in it when he fills it up? 13 gallons? How much cheaper is it per gallon for the lower octane gas? Your son might only be saving $2 - $4 per fill up. Getting a cup of coffee at home verses at Starbucks will make that up in one cup.
  • lhesslhess Member Posts: 379
    I caught myself standing at the pump just last week debating - Premium or mid-grade? And then, I realized I've wasted more time thinking about it than it's worth.

Bottom line - the 8 does not get great gas mileage. If you don't want to pay the gas bill, get an Aveo or a civic or something boring.

I'm not happy about gas prices, but I still get a big smile and don't worry about it too much when I redline my 8. It's worth it!!
    Hey all,
    Well we got the car back from the dealer with the updated pads and shims. So far not a sound and it stopped pulling to the right. What I was saying about the backfire was incorrect!!! There is a "rattle" noise coming from the engine or tranny in 2nd gear at 5K rpm. Any one with the auto trans have this problem?? Other than that no other issues :shades: Any how have fun in the RX's!!!
    I've got an 2005 RX-8 AT Sports Package. I've got the squeaky brakes. I've always had the little rattle or popcorn noise which appears to exist on all auto trannies. I've also got a significant vibration in the LSD after drive on the highway.

After asking about these problems on this list many times, all the issues appear to be normal RX-8 privilege of ownership glitches. All the above issues have appeared over the entire history of the RX-8 model and should best be view as badges of honor for which owners need to be proud that they noticed, but should be left alone as mysteries to appreciate and theorize about.

Here are my theories.

1) The rattle or popcorn noise relates to the second firing of the upper spark plug. I think the auto-tranny RX-8 is quieter, therefore AT owners can hear more engine related noise details. The AT also is more complex from a fuel mixture vs auto gear shift computer calculation perspective. The complexity means that there is not as perfect of efficient fuel mix going into the engine at various moments at different RPMs. What we RX-8 AT owner hear in the way of the rattle or popcorn noise is the second spark plug burning the excess fuel. (PathStar will probably shoot me down, but I like my theory of the mysterious rattle/popcorn noise and I'm sticking with it, at least until PathStar shoots me down. Oh well.)

2) Break squeak is totally normal as confirmed by an official Mazda Service bulletin I saw online. Customers who ask about the squeak breaks, have the shims fix done as the corrective, but it's not a recallable or problem item. It's just a break squeak according to Mazda.

3) LSD vibration is normal mechanical function which just needs to be broken in over time. Since I can't drive to crazy here in the Boston traffic nightmare, it'll probably take 20K to break in my LSD. This is PathStar's advice and I except it totally until I reach 20K. Then if the LSD vibration is still bad I'll ask the the deal "What's up with that LSD?"

BTW, I'm worried my dealer over filled my oil on the last change. Are there any ways to check for over fill besides the dipstick?
  • tomatnavytomatnavy Member Posts: 27
    I've run some 10,000 miles on my rx8 using regular 87 octane gas--I don't notice any difference in normal driving conditions.Here in california all our gas contains oxygen[either ethanol or mtbe].I would certainly try regular gas in yours-- higher octanes are not required.
    Well trispec, I am glad to know I am not the only one out here with an AT RX-8. The "rattle/popcorn" noise still bothers me. Due to the fact that the only time it will happen is if I put the shifter in the normal AT mode. If I use the auto stick or the paddles, it will not do it. The other thing I have noticed is Mazda likes to put a lot of blame for problems on the fuel!! I have been a mechanic for a long time and only on a few cases have I seen fuel be the problem. We have not had any problems with the LSD. Might be due to here in WA I have a lot of chances to get the RPM's and speed up over 60.
    I forgot to mention that when the car gets to the point where the rattle happens, we have also been getting black smoke from the tail pipes from time to time, which is an indication of over fueling. I dont buy the fact that the fuel is the cause of all of that. I can believe the fact that the computer is allowing too much fuel into the engine. I am going to call and make yet another appointment with the dealer for this issue.
  • posrx8posrx8 Member Posts: 1
    beware!!! i purchased a 2005 rx-8 in june of 2005, needless to say 12,000 miles later the engine died, it was running through oil like crazy, gas mileage is between 10-14, brakes started squeaking after 3,000 miles, now the car has been in the shop for over 60 days total in 10 months, mazda has replaced the engine 3 times, yes im on my 3rd engine due to these mechanical problems. i think mazda knows they have a major recall coming with these cars but is trying to put it off. there is alot more i could tell you if interested i can give you more info. keep an eye on your oil consumption.
    Yep, rattle/popcorn noise bothers me too. But I owned an 1987 RX-7. My 1987 RX-7 rotary engine, the 13B rotary had the save displacement as the current Renesis Rotary in the RX-8. I don't recall a rattle/popcorn noise back then, but then again the engine only generated 130HP. Now we get 238HP MT) out of the same engine displacement.

I haven't noticed black smoke, but there is plenty of carbon on my tail pipe. I notice the rattle/popcorn at much lower RPMs 2-3K. I also notice, that by carefully managing the gas peddle and RPMs in manual mode, I can prevent the noise completely.

Clearly the current RX-8 is one heck of a design. The reviews of the Renesis design certainly could have over looked minor glitches. I don't fault Mazda. I don't think the dealers, and I don't fault them either, really know the RX-8. I think the dealers like style points. But the RX-8 is a rare design. I'll take the rare, unique and cool design over a Toyota or Honda design of ultimate perfection any day. Nothing like revving a rotary.

I drove a 2000 mile trip through five states at 85 mph and got 23 mpg. That's quite good by any measure. I think the engine is fine.
    Thanks again trispec for your input. We also can make it not happen. But the point is it does. I too love the unique style of the of the car and the power and what not, but the fact remains it makes a noise it shouldn't have. I worked for Chevy at one time and had to deal with the cold start knock, let me tell ya I got a lot of ticked off people who paid good money for a vehicle and to have stuff like this happen just wont fly with me. Espically with 3200 miles on it. Dont get me wrong all vehicles have a glitch here and there, but knowing the past history on the 2004 and all the problems, I am leery. I called Mazda of North America today, and they told me they have identified almost all of the problems on the car, the problem is getting them to do it when at the dealer. I now a file opened with Mazda to keep track of the work done and if its done correctly.
    posrx8, I would love to have any info you may have regarding your problems. Just in case we end up with the same problems. I am sorry to hear you are on your 3rd engine. I am surprised you didn't make them buy the car back under the :lemon: law. I do hope the problems on these cars are taken care of, but I am not surprised to have small problems. It just sounds like all the problems I am hearing about are not small. Look forward to hearing from you.
    Your a better consumer than I am. I hate a fight. But I do beleive like the discussion of these issues here.

Good luck. Let us know what happens.
    Is there anyone on here that lives in WA state? I would like to meet up with others to have some fun and enjoy these cars with others. I know there are Miata clubs, are there any RX-8 clubs here? :shades:
    Check out "http://rpnw.org/". BTW, there is a "rally" (meet) in Wenachee in May, with the Apple Blossom Festival.

For those not in Washington state, there are local rotary clubs elsewhere as well. For a long time we had to support ourselves as Mazda was "out" of the rotary, so these clubs are well established.
  • mdw1000mdw1000 Member Posts: 171
    Try http://www.rx8club.com/. I would imagine you could find some fellow WA people there.
  • mmauller57mmauller57 Member Posts: 4
    Just wanted you to know that I have a 2004 Mazda RX-8 that went out of Warrranty with 69,000 miles on it. The rattle popcorn you are hearing is not good. I took it in to have a oil change and they test drove it and then it lost all compression and I had to but a new motor in it. Mazda payed for the motor but I had to pay 1700.00 to have it installed. They told me that the 2004 motor has problems. They replaced the engine with a 2005 so that tells you something. I would advise you to take the extended warranty and make sure you take it back to them and make them fix it now.
    Don't buy a Rx8
    Yes, I hate My RX-8 and Mazda. I have a 2004 Mazda RX-8 and it has been nothing but a problem. Every Winter it wouldn't start they could not get it fixed. Had a problem with the Heater. I took it end after the warranty ran out to get a oil change and told them about the noise in the engine. He has 69,000 miles they took it out and test drove it and called me and said the noise was really bad and they could not get it started. They then called me and said Mazda said it needed a new engine. Mazda paid for the engine but I had to pay 1700.00 to have it installed. What a rip off. Even the cashier at Mazda told me they have had nothing but engine problems with the 2004 Mazda and she is telling everyone they better get rid of them. SHe said I better trade it in. I will never buy another Mazda product and I have owned 4.
    Wow I am sorry to hear you have had such a problem with your RX. Well this is what I know from Mazda of North America. The 04 had a lot of problems, and the 05 has some as well just not as many. When I spoke to Mazda of NA they told me they have identified the problems and have informed the dealerships to fix them. The problem is getting the vehicle to act up when at the dealership. Like I have stated in other reply, I am an ASE technician. I will speak from experience that it is hard sometimes for us to identify what the customer is hearing or feeling. I personally take the tech on a drive to make sure there is no question of my complaint. As for my 05, it will be going back to the dealer this friday. It will be for the popcorn noise. On the other hand I can assure you the dealers want to fix it the first time. They only get paid about 1/2 the normal book time to fix it. So you can imagine they dont want to keep doing it over. Now for my opinion, the RX-7 was last produced I believe in 1996 or 97, so if Mazda has had about 8 or so years to perfect the Rotary design, you think it would have happened. I love my 05! It sucks that I am taking it back for the 5th time. However Mazda wants happy customers. This car is there flagship, they dont want a bunch of pissed off costomers. I am not siding with Mazda or the customer, just giving my side of how I see things. A few weeks ago I was ready to give the car back to Mazda till I talked to Mazda of NA. If you call them, they will open a case file for your vehicle. Not saying it will help, but if we all make it a point to call them and let them know we are uneasy about the car, eventually something will happen. Till next time, enjoy the ride if you can. :D
    Hello again fishnhand.

Well I'll be waiting for good news on your popcorn rattle issue. I've brought up my popcorn rattle noise several times as a topics for discussion here, but everyone has either dismissed it as something else other than an engine noise or they've said that true per-ignition is massively manifested by pronounced power loss and check engine lights flashing which has never happened to me. But at this point, I'm totally convinced that the popcorn rattle is coming from the engine and it's related to overly rich fuel mix complexities.

My small worry is that the popcorn rattle will get worse over time as a symptom of something critical, like an Apex seal breakdown. I doubt this, but it's still a small worry. Hopefully it's just a tweaking of the computer. Of course, my RX-8 AT is a Group 2 build with all the latest flashes done at the factory. I verified the vehicle ID number as being recall free before I bought it.

Seriously, good luck. I'm definitely going to take action based on your experience. Thanks.
    Hello again trispec,
    I agree that it is an over fueling problem, I am getting large puffs of black smoke form time to time when the rattle happens. I am also hoping it is just a computer flash or something simple to fix the problem. I have not heard of this problem in the manual trans. If I am wrong someone please let me know. I will post my results on Friday when I get the car back from the dealer. I just hope what I post is good news. Until then try to enjoy the ride all!! :shades:
  • bullwinkle fanbullwinkle fan Member Posts: 19
    Had the dealer check the A/C at the last oil change. They said a rock or other road debrie put a hole in the condencer.( $300.00 ) and $500. labor. Has Mazda come out with a guard for the condencer, I hate to have this happen again. " 04. AT,17k and no problems....YET " ;)
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,863
    You might want to just look for an aftermarket mesh grille insert. I had the very same thing happen on the wife's SUV. I bought a grille insert on Ebay the next day.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

Hey all, I just a call back from my Mazda dealer regarding the popcorn/rattle noise we have talked about. Well I guess now there is an upgrade to the computer, but the catch is they have to pull the computer out and send it to Cali to get updated. The tech that has been working on my car was shocked when he heard the noise this morning. So I now have to take it back on the 15th of this month. So I will update again after that visit. I can still drive the car. At least I can still make the rotary get together tomorrow in Eastern Wa.
    Ugh. Well as a computer guy, I guess I'm more comfortable with a computer upgrade than an engine pull.

A few questions:

1) How did the service tech diagnose the problem?

2) When does the black smoke appear and how do you see it?

3) Is the carbon build up on the tail pipe particularly bad?

Thanks, and good luck. I'm going to wait on taking action until you've gotten satisfaction.
    Well for starters, we took the tech for a ride and the noise happened the first time we got on the gas and hit 5000 rpm. He said that is all he had to hear and that he has never heard an RX-8 make that noise. The black smoke appears at 5000 rpm, and in the regular automatic setting. Has not done it in the auto stick mode. About 3 out of 5 times when it make the rattle we get the smoke. He called the tech line and they told him there is an update for the computer but it can only be done in Cali. The dealerships can not do it. The carbon build up on the tail pipe is a normal condition on this car, it is for the most part a 2 stroke engine. It burns oil due to the oil injector. I hope that answered your questions. Hope to meet some of you today in Wenatchee.
    From a previous thread, I've been experimenting with mixing back and forth 89 octane and 93 octane Shell gas to test the correlation between the popcorn/rattle and the two octane levels.

1) The popcorn/rattle (which could also be described as a gurgling sound as well) does appear to less noticed with more 89 octane gas.

2) MPG does also appear to be better with 89 octane gas.
    Doesn't sound good I have a 2004 Maxda RX 8 and took it in for the same problem. They called me back and said I needed a new engine. I had over 68,000 miles on it and of course out of Warranty. They paid for the engine and I had to pay $1700.00 for having it installed. I feel like I have been bent over. The Rx8 has been nothing but a big head acke. It wouldn't start every winter. They experimented with trying to find out what the problem was. The Cashier told me if I were you I would trade it as soon as I could. She said she had been tell all of the 2004 owners the same a thing. I have had 4 mazda's and this is the first time that I feel like Mazda really is messing me over. They said they would give me a good trade in on it and try to make up the difference on what it cost me to replace the engine. I told them I use to work for National car rental and know what a good deal is not to mess me around and so the appointment I made has been delayed. My Advise is DON"T BUY MAZDA
    This morning, I had occasion to use the warm-up for ten minutes and then rev to 3000 for 10 seconds, let off the gas and kill before engine spinning down completely. At least that's my shut down from cold start procedure.

Anyway, I can't believe how smooth the engine starts after this procedure. Cold or hot, the rev for ten seconds then shut down, really does make for the smoothest quickest starts cold or hot. I'm guessing that computerized fuel mix gets nice and stable and then the shut off before spinning down really does burn up and pump out the remaining fuel to the greatest degree possible.

Following the above proscribed procedure really makes starting my RX-8 AT, as close to turning on an electric engine as I can imagine.
    The cashier must have very limited knowledge, I have a 2004 (July 03 build) with NO problems. I don't drive my car every day in the winter, but the few times I did, it started right up. Couple of times it was near 0. No noises, no smoke. It could happen tomorrow, but not yet...
    RX-8 AT or MT. It's the AT's, I think, that have the gurgle/popcorn/rattle fairly consistently.
    mine is MT.
  • mongoose2494mongoose2494 Member Posts: 1
    I was under the impression that the rx8 didnt have a pcv valve, but I was checking the oil today and saw the vacuum line diagram on the underside of the hood and it shows a purge control valve on it. Does anyone have any idea where this is located? thanks.
    out of the vent even when the temp control is turned on cool or blue on the dial. A couple of times I fixed it by hitting the AC button until it started blowing cold air, then flip the AC off, cool air from the vents. Now, it blows hot air even with the AC on and turned on cool. Hope this isn't the AC condenser like some folks have experienced. I noticed that they now have a guard available for it through Mazda and if I have to replace mine, I'm gonna have them put the guard on as well.

I'm a little baffled about the vent (without AC on) is blowing HOT air, not just outside stale, stuffy air, it's heater hot? Waiting on my new brake kit to arrive, so I guess they can take a look at this as well.
    Just thought I would give you all an update, my 8 went in Monday morning and I was support to have it back on Friday the 19th. Well when I called today, my computer was sitting on the guys desk in CA. So needless to say I will not have back when promised. The dealer proceed to tell us that our computer is I think the 7th one to have the update they are doing. I guess they are no longer going to cover this update under warranty! Sounds a bit off to me. I will hopefully have the car back on Tues the 23rd now. I just hope it fixes this or I will have not choice put to contact Mazda of North America again and find out what they are going to do about replacing this car with another. I dont think I will want another RX. Just has not set will with us. I love to drive it and it looks great, but at what cost.

Will update again next week.
    Oh man, that hurts. I think I finally heard the Rattle/Popcorn/Marbles noise at the high end RPM above 5000. Previous to today, The noise I have been hearing at the lowing 2000-3500 RPM, is similar, but no where near as loud. I'd say what I heard today above 5000 RPM, was ten times louder. There were no check engine lights and there was no loss of power.

Now one possible change is that I have been running 87 octane gas, plus AC on these warm spring days.
    Well we got our RX-8 back today, and wow its like a total different RX!!! It is shifting better, the RPM's run up higher before shifting, and the rattle noise is gone. I just hope this will be the end of the problems with a new car. Other than maintenance. My wife is so happy when she got it back today. She was looking forward to driving her car again. Milam Mazda in Puyallup WA has done a really good job keeping up happy and getting the car fixed. So far all the problems we have encounter, the solution has come from there Tech line. Well now I get to go and have fun in our sports car!!!!! :shades:
    Fantastic! So they just shipped the computer back for a new flash, or did they give you a whole new computer?

My RX-8 AT has always revved fairly high on hard take offs, 5-6K RPM on full automatic before the 1st and 2nd gear shift. You didn't get that behavior before?
    Well from what they told us, they did some kind of flash in CA and then put in a test car to make sure the flash worked. My rpm's where 5-6 range but now it jumped it to 7 when you put your foot into it! My wife said its like a different car. Much more responsive than before and seems to shift better. All I know is I am glad to have it back.
This discussion has been closed.