Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda RX-8 Problems and Solutions

Comments

• gashog2gashog2 Member Posts: 2
    The service manager probably told you about this issue when you took delivery.You probably were too anxious to drive your new ride and didn't wait for that part.
  • gashog2gashog2 Member Posts: 2
    What are you doing driving your 8 in the snow?Buy a $1000 junk for the winter.
  • mugster1mugster1 Member Posts: 34
    Just picked up a 2004 RX8 GT black w/ black and Tan leather .... love it . How has the reliability been lately.
  • the_big_hthe_big_h Member Posts: 1,583
    solution: get snow tires!

I learned this the hard way, somehow I got out of the mess with the car in one piece, but I will be ordering my winter tires soon!
  • crzygapcrzygap Member Posts: 2
    I think I had the same problem you had. I live near Philadelphia and this past weekend we had a foot of snow. After uncovering my RX-8 i tried to start it and it would not turn over. It took me almost 15 minutes of trying till the car barely turned over and started. The temperature at this time was around 10 degrees. I was wondering if this was the same as your problem and did anyone else have the same occurance.
  • jnine13jnine13 Member Posts: 1
    I have had a problem with my car since the first time I drove it. When I use the ventilation system, not the a/c, either recirculate or outside air, the air temp is 90 degrees or more no matter what the temp is outside. I told the service dept. and they told me this was a known problem and Mazda was trying to develop a heat shield so the console and cup holder wouldn't get so hot and the air coming in wouldn't be in contact with the engine. They also said this is common in sports cars. It's been five months and they haven't done anything. I am dreading the spring and summer as it is unbearable when it's hot. Using the a/c helps a little but not much and I don't like using it when it's only 60-70 degrees. I saw the TSB about the a/c fix but I haven't seen anything about my particular problem, nor have I found any similar complaints on any of the forums. Does anyone have a similar problem? If not, any advice as to what to do?
  • mac8mac8 Member Posts: 3
    LM-22 Blizzaks. Be ready to drop 1100 and they are difficult to find this late in the season.
    They have replaced my engine 3 freakin times! Once at 700 miles, then around 2000 miles and lastly at 6000 miles. All this in a year and a half. I drive about 11 minutes to work three to four times a week and figured that was the problem. The engine temp gets to normal in about 6-7 minutes. I broke each of these engines in more conservatively than Mazda suggested also. I bought one of the first ones out of Japan. I ordered it before they had delivered any of them. Nobody ever told me it was condensation. The oil mixed with antifreeze in the winter turns the oil into a blue tinted slush. I even told the dealer about the condensation idea but the Mazda hot line made them replace the engine every time. Beware, changing the oil and spark plugs or whatever is just biding someone some time. Good luck. I am hoping the dealer is going to buy this car back from me soon, if not I will be getting a lawyer and getting rid of it that way.

Now, in 10 degree weather, it won't start at all. I hate this car now.

No way should you have to take the oil cap off every time you drive like the next guy suggested.

I owned 2 twin turbo RX-7s and this care isn't even close to the performance of the old ones, though I knew that when I bought it. Don't bother telling us about your old RX-7s in comparison to this one, its a whole 'nother dog.

Mac in Michigan
    Heck yes! Be concerned. I have had my engine replaced three times for this problem. Check and see if your antifreeze solution is getting lower, that is the key. The key to disaster. Good luck. Mazda is going to buy this piece of crap back from me soon or they will hear from a lemon law lawyer.
  • hibellhibell Member Posts: 1
    I got a Mazda recall notice saying I could have a problem of my 2004 RX-8 not starting in cold weather. I took it in and had a part changed. No problems with all the snow in NY yet, but I do get the condensation in the oil that the mechanics tell me they know nothing about.

Good luck with yours. I just wrote my review. The tires are HORRIBLE in snow but driving with 200lbs of sandbags in my trunk help.
  • crzygapcrzygap Member Posts: 2
    So I wrote in last about my rx-8 not starting in the cold weather, but here are a couple of other concerns I had about my car. Has anyone had a grinding type of feeling when braking slowly. Like when you come to a light or stop sign. I took my rx-8 back to the dealer 3 times about this and they told me they heard nothing nor did they see anything, but my rotors were torn up. This was when the car only had about 300 miles at the most on it.

Besides this problem, now when i am accelerating I hear what would be a pinging noise if the engine were a piston engine. I haven't brought it to the dealer about this, but everytime I go back to the dealer they make it seem like I am crazy and complaining about nothing. My worhtless extended warranty is really starting to piss me off. Anyone have any ideas what these noises are or if you had similar cases.
  • tmorrowtmorrow Member Posts: 1
    I need to know if anyone has had the rx8 to lock out on them. Ours went into some kind of lock out mode and the quick reference guide told us to check our owners manual. Since this is a rebuilt mazda we don't have it. Can you help? Thanks, tmorrow
  • mazda04rx8mazda04rx8 Member Posts: 37
    I have been pleased with the reliability of my RX8's. I am on my third. Having taken advantage of the Mazda buy back program on my first one. Traded in my second to get my wife a Mazda 6 and bought my third on a lease deal too good to pass up. The car is not driveable on snow with the summer tires. Buy a good set of snow tires and it is fine. I park my car outside and have not experienced the flooding issue even in -10 below temps. Good luck with your vehicle, what pricing did you get?
    I have not had an opportunity to see the 2005 model of the rX8. Can anyone tell me differences between the two years?

Thanks

Also can anyone point me to the proper place to post an ad for selling a rear spoiler for the RX8
    I live in Canada , so you have to consider the dollar . 2004 black/ toupe loaded except nav . $37500cdn out the door . i consider it a great deal. They also gave me a good trade in on my 2000 honda accord . 14000 cdn . All in all very happy with the decision.

Love to drive again!!!!!
  • pathstar1pathstar1 Member Posts: 1,015
    First, the key remote and key are now one, and the key shaft folds into the remote. Very nice. There is a hack to make it work on the 2004s, I'm told.

Second, you can now get a white car, but no longer the yellow.

As far as I know those are the only differences, other than the difference of one in the model year designation ;-).
  • wpavlik2wpavlik2 Member Posts: 32
    Sirius Sat. Radio is also available for the 2005 models. The head unit has a SAT button where the AM button is on the 04's. The FM button is now AM/FM.
  • ultraman007ultraman007 Member Posts: 3
    I would tell them to give me another car. I'm sure they're familiar with lemon laws. If they can't fix it, they have to give you a new one. I wouldn't put up with their BS. The car should be perfect, or they can keep it!
    Does Mazda offer a built in Sirius Satellite radio or do you still have to use the big bulky box suction -cupped to the windshield?
    Had the car two months and the trunk release doesn't work!!! Anybody else have this problem?? Also smelling like something burning underneath the car, possibly connected?
  • mon1mon1 Member Posts: 2
    I've had my '05 RX-8 for a little over of a month now, and it has been in the shop for 5 days. The auto trans won't properly shift from 3rd to 4th gear. I've had it as fast as 80mph, and it still won't shift into 4th gear. The service dept admits they believe there is a problem, however the computer diagnostics aren't showing anything. Then yesterday I received a call from the the service mgr, who had just talked to Mazda. The Mazda rep told him the car has a memory driven tranmisson, and bases the shift pattern on the driver's driving style. OKay, this is totally illogical to me. YOur driving pattern is never the same - from city to open road, etc. HELP!!!!!! Suggestions????
  • schof9schof9 Member Posts: 6
    I'M A BRAND NEW OWNER OF A 2004 RX-8 AND I HAVE TO SAY I LOVE THE CAR BUT I HAVE A BIG PROBLEM AND HAVE NO SOLUTION. THE SALESMAN AND HIS MANAGER TOOK CARE OF ME I WENT IN LOOKING AT THE RX-8 I TRADED A 2001 SS CAMERO 5.7 V8 STRONG MOTOR AND BEFORE THAT I OWNED THE 2000 RAM AIR 5.6 W6 PKG BOTH BIG MOTORS WHEN BUYING THE RX-8 I NEVER BROUGHT UP GAS AT ALL THE STICKER SAID 18/24 WELL BOTH GUYS MADE THE STATEMENT THAT I WOULD BE GETTING INTO A NEWER CAR FAST SPORTY AND WOULD SAVE MONEY ON GAS. NOW I PUT 93 OCTANE IN EVERYTHING I OWN SO THAT MADE NO DIFFERENCE TO ME AT ALL. BUT I'M ON MY 10TH TANK OF GAS SINCE 1-20-05 I'M ONLY GETTING 10/14 THATS A FAR CRY FROM WHAT I WAS TOLD. THE SALESMAN CLAIM THEY HAVE NEVER HEARD OF A PROBLEM BUT THE SERVICE DEPT. SAYS ALL RX-8 OWNERS COMPLAIN. WHAT SHOULD I DO THIS IS CLEARLY FALSE ADVERTISEMENT AND EVEN TOLD THEM THAT I TRAVELED ALOT IN THE STATE OF FL?
    I JUST BOUGHT A 2004 RX-8 6-SPEED IT ONLY HAS 10.000 MILES THE DEALER TOLD ME AFTER I MADE THE DEAL ONLY BECAUSE I HAD TO SIGN A PAPER STATING I WAS AWARE. THAT THIS CAR WAS A MAZDA BUY BACK AND THE PROBLEM WAS THE CHECK ENGINE LIGHT THEY DID FIX IT I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT IT WAS BUT I HAVE HEARD A LOT OF PROBLEMS WITH THAT. MY ONLY PROBLEM IS IT DRINKS A LOT OF GAS I GET 10/14 AND STICKER SAID 18/24?
    UNLESS DAD HAS OWNED BITH HE SHOULD NOT MAKE THAT CHOICE FOR YOU. THE RX-8 RATES BETTER THAN THE 350Z AND IT HAS A LOT OF SAFETY FEATURES IT HAS 6 AIR BAGS
    I WANT YOU TO KNOW A STUDY WAS DONE ON WHAT COLOR OF CAR GOT THE MOST SPEEDING TICKETS AND OF COURSE WE ALL SAID RED BUT ITS NOT ACCORDING TO FLORIDA HIGHWAY PATROL AND ALL POLICE DEPARTMENTS THE TICKET CAR IS WHITE. I HAVE HAD 3 RED CARS IN A ROW FOR OVER 9 YEARS 2001-SS-CAMERO 2002 RAM AIR AND NOW THE RED RX-8 NO TICKETS KNOCK ON WOOD
    I'M SORRY BUT IM A FLORIDA GIRL TOO WHO JUST BOUGHT MY RX-8 6 SPEED 4 WEEKS AGO AND MPG IS THE WORST I HAVE EVER SEEN AND I'VE OWNED NOTHING BUT FAST RACE CARS SS-CAMERO-Z-28 CAMERO AND A RAM AIR ALL V-8'S VERY POWER FULL AND THIS CAR IS KILLING ME I'M GETTING 10/14 CITY/HWY AND STICKER SAYS 18/24 AS FAR AS I'M CONCERNED THIS IS FALSE ADVERTISEMENT AND BELIEVE ME I WILL GET TO THE BOTTOM OF IT THE SALESMAN EVEN TOLD ME I WOULD GET BETTER MILEAGE THAN MY 5.7 CAMERO I KNOW NOTHING ABOUT ROTARY ENGINES EXCEPT THERE FAST AND EAT GAS.
    I BOUGHT MY 2004 RX-8 AND IT SAYS 18/24 BUT IM ONLY GETTING 10/14 I'M NOT HAPPY AT ALL WITH IT AT ALL AND I HAVE 10.000 MILES I CAN'T BELIEVE THAT THE GAS IS THAT BAD.
  • joesrx8joesrx8 Member Posts: 2
    I have been thinking about the benefits of a lease...What made you decide on a lease? If you don't mind me asking, what are the terms of your lease? I was thinking of holding out until there is a turbo-RX8, but a lease woiuld allow me to get into an RX8 now and trade up when (IF?) the turbo ever gets added. Your thoughts?

Thank you,

Joe
  • joesrx8joesrx8 Member Posts: 2
    Anyone know why the auto climate control is not available in North America? It seems to be near or at the root cause of the A/C cold-cool cycling. Seems to me that if the car is made for the auto climate control, North America should have it as an option at least and preferred as a standard option to alleviate the cold-cool cycling.
  • civilcivil Member Posts: 1
    We are considering buying an RX8 and have read the problems listed here.

We have been told the oil light problem was corrected with a recall and change of the oil pan, therefore the new 2004 car we are considering buying would not have this problem. Is that true?

In addition, we were told there was a recall in June and the gas-air mixture was changed to solve the failure-to-start problem after cold shutdowns. Is that true? Does it work?

We were told that the procedure in the Mazda manual to start a flooded car does, in fact, start the car when it seems unable to start -- unless the spark plugs are badly fouled. Is that true?
    All cars produced in 2004 were the "first year" models. The oil pan was changed on the production line around April 2004. Check the build date on the door jam. Be aware some dealers might be tempted to pass off an early production car as "brand new", as technically, if it was never sold, it is. The new oil pan did fix the problem. Also be aware there are "buy back" cars still out there. There is probably nothing wrong with them that can't be fixed by the dealer performing the oil pan fix and/or the "M" flash as required. Still, caveat emptor.

The fuel-air mixture change you refer to was one of three, if memory serves. You want to make sure you have the "M" flash. This can be done to any production date car, and any authorized dealer can do it. The "M" flash went a long way to correct the flooding issure, but you can still flood the car. Hot plugs in the winter help as well. The "M" flash added a delay in the cold rev. up on starting, and that made the biggest difference to avoiding flooding, not the mixture change (previous flashes would try to rev. up the engine immediatly, and if it wasn't actually running that would flood it).

The car can be started once flooded, but it requires patience and perseverence. A good battery is necessary as it takes a few minutes of cranking (in bursts as per the manual). Fouled plugs is a primary cause after too much fuel - and too much fuel is a cause of fouled plugs. Plug heat range is a contributing factor. If you live in the south, you shouldn't need to change plugs, but if you live in the north changing the plugs for winter can greatly reduce fouling and flooding.
  • donaldsdonalds Member Posts: 28
    If I had known then what I know now about the RX8 I would never have bought it, do a search on some of my posts, Mazda has the worst customer service group I ever ran into, I am waiting on a lemon law judgement against them, my car idles very bad, the service mgr. testified it does exist and says it has a miss and cannot be fixed.

I also complained to mazda that I purchased mine after the H/P by back settlement, the window sticker was not changed to reflect the down-rated H/P Mazda says sorry, you should have been told, and by the way, I never had a short start problem until Mazda had the dealer try to avoid the court apperance by putting a new flash on it, there were two listed on the notification from Mazda, it said if the "M" was present nothing was to be done,it had the m on it but Mazda wanted them to try something else, don't recall at the moment what it was but it did nothing for the idle but caused the short start problem.

I am only waiting for the judges decission so I can get rid of it and i will never buy another Mazda.

I would seriously avoid the RX8.
  • feelingcheatefeelingcheate Member Posts: 1
    Hello, as I read through this site, many people have the same problem. POOR FUEL MPG!!! I would like to Perhaps start a class action law suit. There are so many people that feel lied to. I feel the same way. I've put 27,000 miles on my car sence Aug of 2004. I have spent a retirement on fuel. "ha ha" Let me know what you think..
    I suggest if your putting on that many miles and are concerned about milage that you consider a Toyota Prius. The whole reason that i bought an 8 is for the pure enjoyment of driving. The fact that i may spend around 5% more for gas over the year compared to, whatever dosnt concern me. Not that i have money to burn.
    I'm not a lawer, but I think you're wasting your time. The published figures are from the US govt. not Mazda. They are the mileage obtained by following the govt. testing procedure, are required to be reported as measured, and were NEVER claimed as what you may get. In fact they state quite clearly "your mileage may vary from the quoted numbers".

I wish people would stop using figures for what they are not intended. The mileage figures were intended to be a govt. figure - for whatever that is worth!
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,935
    Yup, I completely agree. You'd have to sue the government ... and you KNOW how that will end up.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

Hi Joe,
    This is my third RX8. I went with the lease to reduce my monthly payments went from 585 to 335 and got a 24 month term. I usually turn my cars over every two years or less so the length of the lease fit me fine. At the time Mazda was providing a lot of factory money on short term leases. I like the car, not as much as I liked my RX7 (93) but it is nice. Gas mileage stinks IMO. I average 19-20 when I don't push the car. Good luck on your decision. If you can get a short term lease it probably is a good way to go. Otherwise buy. Tony
  • bobgottbobgott Member Posts: 1
    Well .. my RX8 started out at about 18/24 but now I'm down to 15/19 .. and that is driving conservatively. I'm about to throw in the towel and get a Prias.
    Are you using premium or mid range gas? I use mid range and do not get a difference in mileage. I also turn off the TCS system. It seems to help. Good luck with your choice...A prius from an RX8. I would think you will be frustrated with the performance. Good luck whatever you decide.
    Tony B
  • nojetsnojets Member Posts: 31
    If you are hot headed enough to trade in an RX8 for a Prius, you are not thinking straight. Proof though, is that ANY Prius buyer can't think straight is that they fail to do do basic Return on Investment (ROI) math before spending thousands more on today's hybrid technology. Simple back-of-the-envelope calculations will show that you have to drive over 70,000 miles in your Prius before you make up the fuel savings over a similarly equipped car with the same performance - say a Civic. So from a rational perspective, you have to be dumb to buy a Prius.

Let's say though, you are not rational, just an environmental activist who wants to make a statement. Unfortunately, most environmental activists don't really understand the free market system, and again, by buying Prius, they prove they don't get it. If you warp the free market by generating demand for a car that ultimately fails the ROI test, you discourage manufacturers from really, REALLY trying harder to produce a car that beats the ROI equation, since their low ROI performance cars are already selling well. And because in fact, most car buyers CAN do the math, alternative vehicles remain as a limited niche product for wealthy liberals, instead of a massively popular option.

So stop tying to "send a message" by buying a car that really doesn't compete, and let the free market work it's magic. In the long run, faith in the free market will bring an environmentally friendly car to the masses before "message senders"

In the meantime, I'm having a blast in my politically incorrect RX8....
    I checked out the Prius, and found it was way overpriced. For a few thousand $ LESS, you can get a V6 Hybrid Accord, which gets about the same mileage in the real world (forget the EPA figures, they don't work with hybrids). The Accord has more room, more luxury, a lot more power, and lower priced parts. It has less snob appeal currently, but I wouldn't want to have to wait months for a Prius just to be a snob ;-).

One further thing nojets didn't mention is you have to figure in the cost to the environment of -BUILDING- the vehicle as well. It takes extra energy to make the battery, electronics and electric motor and that energy has emmisions implications - more CO2 etc. from power plants.

The silly world seen exposed.

I personally wouldn't mind owning a Hybrid Accord (or even a Hybrid Explorer even though it's a Ford), but my current vehicles are just fine for at least 5-10 more years. THAT's how you can save adding too much environmental costs, fully use up what you have already had made for you.
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    ....I thought I was in the "Mazda RX-8 Owners: Problems & Solutions" forum.

*Scroll to the top of the page*

Yep, this topic is for RX-8 P&S.

If you want to do comparisons, please do so in the appropriate discussion. The search function is to your left.
  • dennisdrx8dennisdrx8 Member Posts: 1
    Have you been using the mid range for a while and do you see any significant difference in performance or any engine knocking? Has anyone tried "regular" 87 octane? Thanks,
    Dennis D
  • tomatnavytomatnavy Member Posts: 27
    I have been using regular for some 5000 miles now--and I don't see and difference. Same gas milage--same performance.
  • nojetsnojets Member Posts: 31
    Sorry Karen, but we WERE talking about the RX8's fuel consumption. My post was intended to keep the fuel consumption issue with the RX8 in some perspective!
  • mkollmkoll Member Posts: 21
    Lately I have been experiencing what seems to be excessive tire noise. I do not see any unusual tread wear, the brake pads appear to be fine.
    It seems to me that the car used to be a bit quieter. Road noise that competes with the stereo is rather annoying. Also, when braking normally the car feels like it is "shimmying" forward and back.It does not pull to one side when braking but it also does not seem like it brakes smoothly. Anyone have similar experience, or ideas as to why this may be happening?
    I've had my RX8 for about 15 months, and am currently at about 11,000 miles.
  • rx8crazerx8craze Member Posts: 10
    i need to ask you all, how important is break in on rotary engines...my dealer said it did not need one..as long as i dont abuse it from the start and dont turn off the engine when it is still cold..
    -i did take the vehicle on a 20-30 mile highway trip for few days..and did ocasionally floord the car, not from stand still, but just punched it while moving to see the power around 7000 rpmrange...then after about 500 miles or so, read the manual on break-in..and was like Oh #$%^
    -will this hurt my car at all...something that will be noticible? such as lower mpg and lower performance?
    ----------------------
    *flooding* (i have 2700 miles on the vehicle)
    -for some time..i heard this water gurgling noise from the engine, not anymore, but did few times in the morning..and once i let my friend test drive it..(for about 5 minutes) and turned it off
    what is this? engine partially flooding? will this damage the engine altough it did start and run fine?
    -------------------------
    seems that my car vibrates a little when idleing..rough idle..i read that rotary engine does not vibrate...do all yours have somewhat rough idle??
  • rx8crazerx8craze Member Posts: 10
    another thing that im little concerned about is that..when my rx-8 is all warmed up.and driven for a little while..and when i have it in the garage..i did noticed that this vehicle "burps"
    meaning it misfires (not loud) once a while..im guessing that this happens on all rotoary engines cuz only 3 ignition per cycle..compared to other piston engines with 4-6-8 ignition per cycle..
    ...did any of you noticed this?
    -and i do hear some noise comming from under body...not sure what it is..but when it is cold, i turn onthe engine and i hear these clicking noises...but only when it is cold..
    pleaz...some one help me with these concernes..it will be greatly appreciated
    First, if you don't "overheat" engine parts you will not do any damage on break in. It sounds like you didn't overheat anything (I'm talking about the small parts in the engine like the apex seals), so you haven't caused any damage. The parts get over heated because they are doing extra work during break in, fine machining the wear surfaces - if you did close to or at full throttle for 1 min. or more you would overheat the parts, and you didn't (and most probably couldn't because of the speeds that would be involved).

The gurgling noise you heard is air trapped in the coolant/heating system. It will slowly burp its' way out. When the engine is cold, check the coolant level and top up with distilled water if necessary.
    The coolant level and oil level are the two most important things to keep an eye on with a rotary engine. If either gets too low you can loose an engine. Check them both at least once every two weeks.

You will not hear flooding, the car will just refuse to start. Read the manual. The solution is to hold the accel. pedal to the floor (do not release until it starts!!) and crank the engine for 10-15 sec at a time (wait between times for the starter motor to cool off but continue to hold the accel. pedal to the floor - this ensures you do not get any more fuel injected into the engine - it shuts off the injectors). This procedure can take as long as 10 min. - be persistent, it will eventually start - unless the battery dies before it does. I think the "M" flash (which your car will most definitely have) fixed the flooding issue for almost everyone. Once you have the "M" flash you have to try really hard to flood the engine. I'm referring to the replaceable program in the PCM - the car's computer - this computer operates most things in the RX-8, unlike previous cars such as the RX-7.

A slightly rough idle, a little vibration and occational missing while idling is normal. The rotary engine apex seals do not work very well below about 1200 RPM. Mazda sets the idle at 700 RPM to improve mileage figures, and the poor apex sealing shows up due to messed up mixture at idle. If you turned up the idle you would notice it smooth out but you would also notice the fuel gauge go down as you watch ;-).

If you notice the engine misses a lot, even when cruising, the plugs may be fouled. There are now four heat ranges available - very cold for racing, cold for those who drive fast all the time, medium for normal operation in summer, warm for normal operation in winter, and very hot for problem cars. Don't be afraid to change between heat ranges as required.

As for ignitions per cycle, the rotary has three combustion chambers per rotor and there are two rotors. They turn at 1/3 the eccentric shaft speed (think crank shaft), so you end up with one firing per RPM for each rotor - exactly the same as a four cylinder four cycle engine. While many think the rotary is like a two stroke engine, it is really a "continuous cycle" engine. It has some characteristics of two stroke piston engines because it is "piston ported" (rotor ported actually), with no valves so you can get sonic wave tuning effects, resulting in some sounds like a two stroke.

Clicking noises are from many sources, including:The many warmup solonoids and intake tract valving.
    The cat. converter and exhaust warming up and expanding as well as the heat shields that cover them.
    The electric air pump runs for 20 sec. or so when you start up the car when it's cold.
This discussion has been closed.