Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda RX-8 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• carlikercarliker Member Posts: 285
    I'm not sure if there are going to be any changes with the '05. I don't think there will be any drastic changes so you don't have to be concerned about missing out on anything later if you buy an '04 now. Except for the MPG, the RX-8 doesn't really to improve all that much. Graphic reads all the RX-8 boards so he probably has a good idea.

As for the yellow car, I would look for another color if I was you. If you can find a blue or green, I'd pick those. Both are more unique with the RX-8 but in a positive way. The yellow is bordering on obnoxious and might be difficult to resale since it's usually not popular with a lot of people. A certain yellow works with certain cars, but the yellow RX-8 is blinding. Silver and gray are also nice but black is hard to keep clean as you probably experienced with your past cars.
  • rampedramped Member Posts: 358
    Just cruising through this board and thought I'd offer this:

As far as the transaction, I would suggest doing your research (TMV here, etc.), decide what you are willing to pay, and offer that. If you start asking a dealer how much above cost he wants to make, things can get confusing. Nowhere is the KISS principal more important than at the car dealership.

As far as the color, my advice is get whatever you want. If yellow does it for you, then buy the yellow. You are spending a huge amount of $$ on this car, and you should get exactly what makes you happy. Yellow is a polarizing color (some love it, some hate it) but on specialty cars like an RX-8, bold colors are common. There are many yellow Vettes running around.

As an old RX-7 owner (that baby even had a choke!) I say don't worry about the rotary engine. Never had any problems with my '82, and this generation is probably much, much better.

You won't regret buying one.
    The TMV is not always accurate (especially on specific regions of the U.S.), but it's a good place to start. By asking directly what a sales manager wants to make on a car, you cut through the bs and save time. It's part of dealing to ask what the dealer wants to make on a specific car so how can that become confusing? You might be selling yourself short if you just tell the dealer what you are willing to pay or working his/her price down to meet yours. By getting them to give you a dollar figure, you can start doing your research on what their true cost is and find if their profit margin is reasonable compared to what you want to pay for the car.

As for color, the Corvette is a different style of vehicle so the yellow looks good on it due to it being lower to the ground and greater width. Plus, it's a different shade of yellow. It isn't a lemon yellow like the RX-8. Since sweetc230 was concerned with resale value, it's important to take an alternative color into consideration. Why get a car that either some hate it or some love it when you can get a car color that not only you love but most others do as well?
  • ramped1ramped1 Member Posts: 159
    You make good points, but, as I said earlier, when you buy a "fun" car like an RX-8, I personally believe you should get what makes you happy and not worry about resale. If resale is a major consideration to you when buying a sports car, then you are better off buying a something very rare and very expensive (read: Porsche, Ferrari). Those cars hold their value great, but then again, you can't drive them much or they will depreciate.

Which brings me to my point, which is, an RX-8 isn't likely to hold its value very well in any event. Rotary engines seem risky to many people, and they won't touch them. So, I wouldn't sweat the color so much on resale. That won't be the deal maker or breaker so much as the engine.

As far as the negotiation, at one time I was pretty much with you, but these days, as I get a little older and less patient, I am not so much concerned about leaving a few bucks on the table if I can get out of the dealership with my car a couple of hours faster. Plus, there are some dealerships where you simply must go through a sales rep, either on the floor or through the internet. You can't always dictate how a dealership wants to run its business.
  • graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    I think just by looking at the last few messages, the whole "what color should I get?" is polarizing. It really comes down to personal preference. Resale value is like looking into a crystal ball and trying to predit the future.

Sometimes you can fairly accurately get a good resale picture with cars that have a track record (like an Accord or Camry). While earlier RX vehicles held their value very well, the RX8 is new to the market. I've conferred with the "trade-in value" guru here at Edmunds(rroyce) several months ago about this very issue. He believes they will hold their value very well. Leasing companies are pegging the values after a 4 year lease a little better than 50% ($14k-$17k, give or take and depending on options), which is quite good. But, until there are a multitude of them on the used market, it will be hard to tell. Aside from e-bay, I've yet to see any on the used market. As others have stated, all the colors look good. I'd bet that yellow is the least favorite among current owners, however. All the colors are nice. The red and nordic green actually have gold metal flake in the paint. My winning blue has the silver metal flake as do the titanium and silver. I've never looked closely at the yellow, but I don't get the impression it has any sort of metal flake in it, if that matters.

Ask 5 different people how they negotiate for a car and you'll probably get 5 different answers. Make the deal you feel comfortable with.

'05 chsnges? Doubt there will be much. Rumor of offering white as a color....maybe offering a MAzdaspeed version, perhaps auto HVAC, but that's about it. My guess is that there will be a price increase, too.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
    ramped - I understand what you are saying about getting what you want rather than being concerned about resale. It's just something to keep in mind though and I believe sweetc230 was concerned about it. I have to disagree with you about the negotiating. First of all, it takes a matter of seconds to find out what the dealership wants for a vehicle. It all comes down to how badly the dealership wants your business. If they really want to sell you a car, you can demand satisfaction. If they are any good, they'd assist you within reason. Being the second largest investment for most people, it's worth the little extra time and it avoids the aggravation when you can keep the dealership from beating around the bush on a price. Be DIRECT!
  • rampedramped Member Posts: 358
    Well, I'm pretty sure we agree on the method: Be direct.

My version of being direct is to make what I consider my best offer right away.

Yours is to find out what the dealer wants for his car right away. I think we are doing the same thing in different ways.

Just wish I could make an offer on an RX-8. Sadly, a sports car, even one as good as the 8, won't work for me right now. To those of you buying one, my color is green - for envy :<)
  • sweetc230sweetc230 Member Posts: 33
    Thank you for all the input. I think I agree with carliker about the color. If I am feeling at all hesitant about getting yellow, that should answer my question; plus, the car looks pretty darn awesome in most colors.

In response to the haggling issue, I kind of enjoy the negotiating aspect of car buying. I certainly wouldn't go in there and put 4% over invoice on the table and say take it or leave it. I'll probably start at invoice and hopefully end up no higher than 4%. As far as how much the dealership wants to make on their vehicles, I just not too concerned with that. I am a believer in going in at the end of the month/quarter on a rainy day around 11am and trying to get them to close the deal under a little pressure and on a slow day. I'll keep you guys informed about my decision.
  • 41eclipse41eclipse Member Posts: 5
    Does anyone know anything about the $1000 cash incentive that I see on the Edmunds incentive page for the RX-8? It is listed as a Direct Mail Certificate and is valid for those who have not purchased a Ford, Mercury, Lincoln, or Mazda in the past 4 years. Anyone know the scoup?
    I have no idea about the cash incentive. It sounds like some sort of coupon that was mailed to prospective "non-Ford" customers?
    That makes sense...give an incentive to people who have not bought from you and not give ones to people who have. Sounds like Ford alright.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,935
    I've seen many manufacturers offer some sort of "conquest rebate."

That makes me think of some ads I've seen in the paper. I love the screamer ads where the fine print says the ad price includes both "customer loyalty rebate" and "conquest rebate." LOL

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• audia8qaudia8q Member Posts: 3,138
    Program Period:

·1 March 3, 2004 through July 5, 2004
    Vehicles must be sold and delivered within this program period to be eligible.

Eligible Vehicles/Cash Incentive:

·1 All new and unused 2004 and 2005 Mazdas: $ 1,000 customer cash bonus.

Eligible Customers:
    ·1 The $1,000 conquest can be transferred within the household. The Mazda Credit pre-approval cannot be transferred, and is only valid for the person named on the certificate.

Proof of Eligibility:

At least one set of qualifying documents is required for redemption per purchase/lease. Acceptable proof for eligibility is original direct mail certificate (copies will not be accepted).
    If conquest offer is transferred within the household, proof of residence is required.

Ineligible Vehicles:
    ·1 RDR type F (Fleet)
    ·2 Vehicles intended for export,
    ·3 Brokered units.
    ·4 Units acquired at auction
    ·5 All vehicles originally ordered by or shipped to non-United States dealers.
    ·6 Rental service units
    ·7 2002 & 2003 MY Vehicles

Restrictions/Other Rules:
    ·1 Mazda reserves the right to cancel, amend, or revoke the program at any time without written notice.
    ·2 The customer is not required to finance or lease through Mazda Credit to be eligible for the $1,000 conquest incentive
    ·3 There is a limit of one Competitive Lease Conquest direct mail certificate per customer, per vehicle.
    ·4 If vehicle is specially ordered, the customer must take delivery by July 5, 2004. Vehicles delivered after July 5, 2004 are not eligible for the incentive (no order protection).
    ·5 US residency restrictions apply/ultimate consumer must live in the United States.
    Every time I hear of these promotions, I always hear/see the tag line "residency restrictions apply".

First question...what's a residency restriction?
    2nd....why is their such a restriction?

Just curious....
  • svoricksvorick Member Posts: 2
    I emailed Mazda about receiving the $1000 incentive. Their response was:

In regards to your question, that particular incentive is ONLY by
    direct mail to pre-determined participation. Unfortunately, we can not
    add you to this mailing list.

Just my .02
    I just wish incentives and rebates didn't exist. Just give me the lower price...and do away with all the double talk. If you can sell me a car for $19K instead of $24K, then just do it. Otherwise, there really isn't an incentive.
  • 41eclipse41eclipse Member Posts: 5
    Red w Red/black interior with GT package. 31200 msrp. I stole it for 27775. No trade in or any funny business in that price either. It comes out to a little over 800 under invoice. I had to drive 275 miles each way to get it. I am in Green Bay, Wi, I bought it in Rochester, MN. BTW I love it. I had a hugh tailwind most of the drive back, and I got just over 21 mpg.
  • hophop Member Posts: 2
    I am getting close to pulling the trigger with the RX-8. I've done the research and test driven the cars and love the feel and look as well as the growing reputation. question though: I like the Grand Touring Package but at almost 6 ft tall, find it difficult to drive w/out my head against the roof...due I presume both to the lower roof (moonroof) and the higher seat (electric)...anybody else my size in a fully loaded model...what is your experience...any thoughts? I also checked out the sport package, but so much other stuff is missing from the car that I don't feel like I'm getting all I want (even tho the headroom is demonstrably better). I am loath to try and load up on options at the dealership and likely wouldn't want to stomach either the cost or the potential loss in bargaining power by not getting a car "off the lot". any advice welcome.
  • wh9wh9 Member Posts: 32
    I've been finding used RX8s on Car Max for the last 3 months with very low miles on them and all different packages.
    I'm 6' also and have the GT 6-speed. I've had no problems once I got the seat adjusted correctly. I can't think of too many "wants" I'd put in the car as equipped the way mine is. I've even got the NAV, which I didn't think I'd use all that much initially, but now absolutely love.

I got one of the ones from the first batch that hit U.S. shores. I don't know how long it would take to order one from Hiroshima.

They are starting to get a little scarce again around my 'burg since Spring is here. This past winter, I saw 6-10 on the lot at my dealer. For the last month or so, that number has dwindled to about 2 or 3.

As you've probably read, the RX8 has been picked by just about every trade rag (and here at Edmunds) as the best of the bunch when compared to the 350Z/G35c/Cobra.

You can't go wrong no matter how you get yours equipped.

My only "nit" is it's hard to locate the remote trunk opener on the right side of the dash. In all honesty, that's it.
  • georgporschegeorgporsche Member Posts: 12
    I just purchased my RX8. A 6-speed with the SP package only. I bought it for invoice at Bob Boyd Mazda in Lancaster Ohio!!!!
    I paid 26,211 (plus tax and the $120 title fee) because it was an in-stock vehicle. The internet sales manager was a very honest and A+ salesperson.
    Welcome to the ever increasing RX8 fan base.

Please let us know your impressions once you've had a chance to live with it for a while.
  • wh9wh9 Member Posts: 32
    The local Mazada dealer in my area has 15 on his lot. One has been there for 2 months...it was in th show room and now out on the lot. The dealer's son was driving one as a demo last Augusta - October. Fully loaded, it has been out on the lot for some time now and still hasn't sold. I think there are deals to be had out there, at least in my town.
    There are lots of deals. Those who sell, 350Zs, G35Cs, S2000s, Corvettes, Boxters, etc have stock now. I saw an Infiniti dealer (dealership right next to my Mazda dealer) with about 20 G35Cs on the lot. He had a sign in front of the dealership that offered $3K off MSRP any G35C in stock. I've seen 'vettes advertised for $7K off MSRP. Local newspaper had a Nissan dealer offering a "coupon" for "thousands" off any 350Z in stock (listed 15 in stock....I think they were all $35K Touring models, though). Same page, same newspaper had Mini dealer offering hefty discounts.

I don't expect this to be the case a month from now as most dealers are swinging into the sports car season when all these models become more in demand.

Most surprizing is the deals on Corvettes. I've never seen those kinds of deals ever on those cars. With the new Vette about to be released, The C5 (which I like a lot), would be mighty tempting if I was in the market. I wouldn't remotely consider getting rid of my RX8, though.
    last month the RX-8 out sold the TT, Z3/Z4, crossfire, corvette, thunderbird, s2000, slk, boxter.....Infiniti reports all the G35 versions as one car, so I don't know how it did against the G35c...the 350 outsold the RX-8 but only by a small amount.

The past few months with the reasonable weather has produced a huge increase in RX-8 sales. Our selling prices have jumped with the increased demand also.
  • danwpbdanwpb Member Posts: 1
    Paid invoice (25,676) +tax,tag for my Velocity Red 6 speed +spoiler in Florida. Thanks to Edmunds for a great site and to the forum members for their input! Couldn't be happier with the decision to go with the RX8.
    I kind of suspected that the good weather would bring a large jump in RX8 sales. I'm not surprized it outsold all the others. The Corvette has incentives and is in the last year of the C5 version, so I'm a bit surprized that the 8 outsold it. From what I've heard, Corvette sales were "sizzling".

The RX8 has been neck and neck with 350Z sales since its introduction.
  • ltabaltaba Member Posts: 2
    Paid 24,750 for base model with a couple of extras (spoiler and cassette tape deck)a few weeks ago in Wis...Went by dealer yesterday and counted 13 on the lot..Rarely seen around town so far, but I expect this will change.
  • buckeye3dbuckeye3d Member Posts: 5
    I bought my new RX8 yesterday. Got the 6 speed, GT, rotory accents, all black leather, velocity red mica. I paid exactly invoice (before tax/title). Took very little negotiating that was all done via email. Went out and met the internet manager (nice guy) and checked out the cars that met my requirements. Picked one and drove it home the next afternoon. I bought at Byers Mazda Suburu in Columbus, OH. Very easy to deal with and I would highly recommend them to anyone.
  • rogerazrogeraz Member Posts: 3
    Has anyone have any infromation on the $1500 lease incentive that Mazda is offering on the RX8. I've been hedging between the WRX and the RX8 waiting to see which I can get the better deal on. I hadn't considered a lease up to this point but if I can get in on a 3yr lease at the right price I just might go that way. I owned a 79 RX7 back in 82 before the kids came along. They're all just about out of the house and I'd like to retire the from the SUV life.
  • buckeye3dbuckeye3d Member Posts: 5
    Well when I met with the financing guy he did ask if I was interested in leasing and mentioned an incentive ($1500 sounds right) but I had no interest in a lease so I just said no without getting into the details.
    Most of the vehicles (Crossfire, Thunderbird, S2000, G35 Coupes) you compared the RX-8 sales too are limited in their production so obviously they won't out sell on numbers. I believe the Corvette is the only vehicle you mentioned that actually produces 30K cars annually - matching the number of the RX-8s. The rest of the cars had a much lower number of vehicles to be produced. Of course,the C6s are coming out and even with incentives, most enthusiasts want to wait. That explains the Corvettes' lag in sales.

Judging by buckeye3d's invoice purchase price in Ohio, the RX-8s are not selling so well that dealers don't have to discount it. To be fair to the 350Z, I've seen a lot more of those on the road (or parked) than I have RX-8s...at least in my area (even though the RX-8 is a better vehicle). However, I did see a nice blue one this weekend for the first time. It will be interesting to see the bottom line when Mazda comes out with the 2005 version of the RX-8 so you can get a better idea about the direction they are headed.
    so what comparable vehicles should we compare sales to? buick? lol

I don't think mazda is planning on building 30K RX-8's for the US market....I believe the US number was around 18K units for 2004. Jan-April they have sold 8234.
    That's the number I remember for North America....18K. They are just getting into the "hot sales" months of Spring/Summer. From what I've read, Mazda considers the RX8 a smashing success.
    If you are going to make any comparision at all, just make it with competitors that have relatively the same production output of vehicles. It's rather meaningless to say they have more total sales when they produce at least 4000 to 8000 more vehicles than a Thunderbird, Crossfire, S2000, unless you are doing it on a percentage basis. Plus, most of the vehicles you mentioned aren't going to have as wide of a market since they are less practical (being two-seat convertibles) than what the RX-8 offers. I just don't see the sense in comparing total sales to prove the RX-8 is a competitive car.

Anyway, maybe 30K was North America. I saw the number in a few articles but they never specfied. However, the number you state is 8,234 just in one quarter. Is that U.S. sales? That sure seems like an annual production of 30K vehicles if it is.
  • danmizdanmiz Member Posts: 11
    I'm interested in leasing an RX-8 with the following specs:

- Grand Touring Package
    - Appearance Package
    - Rear Spolier
    - 36 month lease
    - 12,000 miles per year
    - $0 down

What do you think would be a fair monthly payment?
  • dcsouthdcsouth Member Posts: 3
    K, so I'm about to finally get my new 8. Best price I have thus far is 26990 for a black 6 speed with sport package, appearance package, rotary accent package, and 6-disc changer. The dealer claims this is invoice. Anyone live in an area of the country where I could do better? Thanks in advance guys (and, of course, gals).
    Jump on it......
  • mysteriomysterio Member Posts: 5
    I just got mine - same as what you want - with $7,000 down and will pay $386 a month. I live in Maryland.
    Are you buying or leasing? With $7000.00 down, I sure hope you are buying the vehicle.
    I am leasing - my credit is fair according to one of the credit agencies so the bigger down payment helped me get the car. Personally, I have owned cars before and they have been nothing but a headache so I decided to lease and get a brand new car.
    YOWZA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Did you fold in negative equity from a previous car purchase?
  • howachowac Member Posts: 52
    OUCH!!! A $7000 down payment on a lease? I'm sorry to say this, but it is generally a good idea to put as little down as possible on a lease. The most simple reason is that in the unfortunate event that the cars gets stolen or totalled, the insurance company will pay off the bank and you'll never see your $7000. I know it may be too late now, but there is an excellent board here under the Smart Shopper Board. Car_Man, the host, provides some great advice there.
    Yeah - most people I've encountered put down $4000 - I do feel a little duped now but this was my first time leasing. I was nervous as hell about being turned down so I upped the ante. Anyhow I have the car now - the payments are less than I anticipated and I am not driving that hunk of junk oldsmobile intrigue anymore! LOL!
  • howachowac Member Posts: 52
    Glad you're loving your new car. It is definitely better than the orphan Olds.

I almost made a similar decision trying to lease a car a few years ago. (Ended up financing it and the VW turned out to be a lemon anyway.) Car_man over at the Leasing Questions board usually recommends putting $0 down on a lease if possible. Check out that thread if you have time. There is a wealth of great info over there.
    What kind of interest rate did you get and what is your residual? In all frankness, with $7K down, those payments look like a purchase, not lease.

Did you trade in your Olds? How much did they give you for it? Did you have a payoff on it?

Not trying to be nosy, but why did they turn you down.

This deal "smells" funny. I know that there are dealers who do some wierd financials, but this borders on ridiculous, unless there are some factors here we don't know about.
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Be sure to check out our Town Hall chat lineup for Tuesday evenings... First up, talk the latest in new automotive technology during the Hybrid Vehicles Chat from 5-6pmPT/8-9pm ET

Hybrid Vehicles Chat Room

Immediately following at 6-7pm PT/9-10pm ET, we keep the chat party going with the Mazda Mania chat.

Mazda Mania Chat Room

The Town Hall chats are a great place to take these message board topics LIVE. Hope to see you there this week!

PF Flyer
    Host
    Pickups & News & Views Message Boards
    I saw a newspaper ad for an RX8 lease (probably a base model) for $2K down and $3XX mo, for 48 months.
  • earlfargisearlfargis Member Posts: 16
    I was shopping a 350Z and a local dealer quoted me $1,100 off list via email even though I'd emailed him on an unrelated inventory question. I'm sure I could easily haggle him down from there. Deals on the 350Z are easily explained. It's been out for nearly 2 years and all the 'Z fever' is over. The easy sales are long gone (the 1st Zs in my area sold for $10,000 over MSRP). The car is plagued with quality control problems which has the used lots in my area flooded with them and many potential buyers turned off. I know when I started digging and found out about the Z's tire "feathering" problems (and other assorted ills) it had me running for the door!

The RX8 is the fresh new face and, as such, wooed the editors of the enthusiast mags who immediately dumped the Z which had been their previous darling. When the 300HP Mustang GT comes out this fall it'll become the media darling and get all the attention. I guarantee those willing to wait until the end of the year will be able to get a pretty good deal on an RX8.

That said, all sports cars tend to harder to dicker over with a dealer because they tend to be limited production, high interest cars. You'll never be able to get some super deal like your dad does on his Impala. 8^)
    Any dealer, with a hot, well reviewed car, will hold out for as much profit as they can. Nothing wrong with that. A car, like anything else, is worth as much as someone is willing to pay for it.

As well reviewed as the Accord has been, you can buy one near invoice because of supply/demand. As you said, there are a lot more Impalas (and Accords) being produced than either the 350Z/G35c or RX8s.

Regarding your Mustang annalogy, I don't know if they'll be the "hit" you predict. Surely, they'll get some initial boost in sales because it taps into the current nostalgic styling craze. But, like the now defunct "nostalgic" Thunderbird, it has some serious shortcomings....not the least of, it doesn't have an independent rear suspension.....a fault that I think will be a big blunder on Ford's part. It'll sell for at or above MSRP for a few months until Ford cranks up the production volume, but it will eventually fall prey to the "Big 3s" scheme of rebates in pretty short order. The reason Ford has had success with the Mustang is that you can get a fairly "hot" GT model for the price of some pretty mundane cars.

All cars have shortcomings as no car manufacturer has ever made the perfect car. I think what caused the trade rags, including Edmunds, to fall all over themselves with the RX8 over the 350Z, was the mere fact that the RX8 proved the 350Z to be a "1-trick pony". Yes, it had great acceleration and, at least on paper, looked to handle well. But when all was said and done, the RX8 proved you could have speed, handling, great build quality, high quality materials, also.

My RX8 is a year old this month. I still find it's blend of all the above attributes intoxicating every time I drive it. Plus, there isn't another car, short of a super car, that offers the visceral thrill you get with the 9K RPM RENESIS (OK, add-in carliker's S2000 to that list).

Just a casual observation, but I see more 350Zs on the used lots than I do on the road.