Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda RX-8 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• dwynnedwynne Member Posts: 4,018
    You have to just call around (or visit the dealer web pages). MazdaUSA pulled the 04s from the inventory some time back, so no easy way to find a car. You could just keep finding dealers farther and farther away from home and ask them if they have any 04s. A lot of 04s have been sold, and some dealers I was talking to are now sold out. Of course, that means they will have more 05s to clear on in a few months....

Dennis
  • jcollum68jcollum68 Member Posts: 14
    I have a complete list at home, spent a few hours looking aroung the country. The only one left in Ohio is at Kempthorn in Canton. There are about 50-70 still out there. When I get home I will post the list.

I just got a quote from Kempthorn. Gray 6spd with cloth, appearance package, Nav system, 6 disc changer, rotary accent package, touring package. No spolier. MSRP $33,609, their offer was $26,995. He said he could knock only a $100-$200 more off that price. They have had it on their lot since 10/03, and began the warranty on 5/1/05.

Other two dealers with a lot of RX-8's are Schaefer & Strohminger in Maryland, www.sandsauto.com, they have about 5 left, and Courtesy Mazda in Las Vegas has about 5 left.

As Dwynne correctly stated, it seems many of these have Nav system and no leather, which is unappealing to me. To install leather aftermarket is about $1200.00, so it is not much cheaper than an 05 with leather without Nav system.
    I meant to say 50-70 left in the country, not at Kempthorn...Kempthorn has only one, and that is the only one in Ohio. However, Park Mazda in Wooster has a new 04 RX-8 decked out at $41K with all the Mazda Speed goodies, and they are at $10K off, aksing $31K.
    I just got a quote from Kempthorn. Gray 6spd with cloth, appearance package, Nav system, 6 disc changer, rotary accent package, touring package. No spolier. MSRP $33,609, their offer was $26,995. He said he could knock only a $100-$200 more off that price. They have had it on their lot since 10/03, and began the warranty on 5/1/05.

So this is a pre-owned (used) car? Why wouldn't the warranty start as soon as you purchased it.

The good news is that with everyone choosing to save and get an 04 8 the 05 8 sales had to have suffered a LOT. So I see more incentives and deals coming on those. It might be a long wait to get down to $4-5k under invoice though.

Dennis
    No, this is brand new, 200 miles...all the ones I am talking about are brand new, never titled. The reason they had to start the warranty time clock is they were forced to by Mazda USA...they probably do not want to warranty a new 04 starting late in 05... Other dealers which have new 04's are as follows:

Bill Hood Mazda (Lousiana), Hollingsworth Mazda (Louisiana), Lou Fusz Mazda (Missouri), Parks Mazda (North Carolina), Capital of Cary Mazda (North Carolina), Stokes Mazda (South Carolina), Gaithersburg Mazda (Maryland), World Car Mazda (Texas--has 8 new 04 RX8's), Hancock Mazda (texas 7 RX-8's), Bronx Mazda (New York), Ontario Mazda (New York), Ramsey Mazda (New York 4 RX-8's), Young Mazda (Pennsylvania), Sussman Mazda (Pennsylvania), Maple Shade Mazda (NJ 4 RX8's), Champion Mazda (Massachusetts), Burt Mazda (Colorado), Earnhardt Mazda (Arizona)

Unless otherwise noted, the dealers have 3 or less RX-8's available.

Any idea if there will be low factory interest rates on the 05 RX-8's anytime soon? Did they offer low interest rates last year on the 04's? If so, what rates?
    That sounds like pure BS to me. I have seen and heard of lots of left over cars and never heard of the warranty starting until it was sold. IF indeed the warranty is running on these cars the dealers will probably never sell them.

I should have pointed out that some of the dealers that still have 04s have them for a reason, they will not freaking deal on them :-) I guess as time passes they will have to, but when I talked to some a few month back they still though they needed to make a nice profit on the car and would not deal low. The ones that were blowing them out cheap - sold theirs (go figure).

Dennis
    Yeah, I'm with you...I was a bit surprised Kempthorn in Canton wasn't thrilled to have be ready to buy...they were very casual and nice, but not really seeming like they wanted to move this car. Heck, it has been on their lot since 10/03! I'll probably sit on it for awhile and see what happens...I am really starting to lean towards an 05.

I would love to know if, and when, there will be special financing on teh 05's
  • baptistandybaptistandy Member Posts: 10
    So, i'm a brand new college grad with 25k to spend on a car. I'm 99.9% sure about the rx-8. Since I want more than a base model, would it be best to wait till the 06's come out and get an 05 heavily rebated, or get an 04 now (if i can find one). OR get a used one? Any thoughts? This is my first car purcahse and am kinda in the dark on everythign. Any advice would be appreciated.
    If you do not want a base model, 06 is out of the question. I posted the 04's available, they are mostly $26.5K to $27K as they are pretty well equipped generally. Used one is probably your best bet, as even an 05 will be not have much optional equipment for $25K. They do come pretty well equipped in base trim, though...you should go take a look at an entry level 05
  • audia8qaudia8q Member Posts: 3,138
    jcollum writes...." The reason they had to start the warranty time clock is they were forced to by Mazda USA".

That is pure bologna...
    the warranty starts the day the dealer reports the car sold to mazda....if the warranty has been started its because the dealer burned the RDR...
    You don't want a "base" 8, get at lease the sports pack. That adds traction and stability control, HID lights, etc. On the auto cars (but why get an auto tranny 8?) it adds lower profile tires, larger brakes and wheels. It is the best cluck for the buck package on the 8.

The invoice on a new 05 MT w/sports pack is $26,756 - so you are going to have to wait until there is some rebate or dealer money on them to get in your price range. Does Mazda has a college grad rebate - if so that would help?

If you could find an 04 that was not loaded up, the price would work - but that might be hard.

Nothing wrong with a used 8, but given how cheap you can get a new 04 I would not pay much for a used one. Maybe $21k-22k for a loaded up car and under $20k for a sports pack car. It just does not make sense to spend more for used. If you found a NEW 04 MT with sports pack it should be around $21,125-$22,125 .

If you ARE looking for an auto, there might be one of those around as a new 04 that would be under your price.

Dennis
  • lhesslhess Member Posts: 379
    Lester Raines in S. Charleston, WV had 8 last time I was there. My post # 711 outlined some of the options and the price they quoted me for each. I haven't been there or talked to them since (I try to stay away - I've spent all my money on 8 accessories...), but I'm willing to bet they still have some.

baptistandy...they might be a good source for you as well. some of the cars were fairly nicely equipped. Mine is a MT with sport, no leather, no sunroof, does have a navigation, I got it out the door for $21K. They ARE dealing on these cars and they were super to work with. Look back at post # 711. My bet is that those numbers are not bottom dollar either!!
    Dennis is right, unless the used one is dirt cheap, don't do it. There are untitled 04's out there and as he posted earlier, the 05's are gonna have to start coming down soon as well. After understanding (somewhat) the dynamics of the car, I'm glad I didn't buy a used one because I REALLY want to know how the car has been treated during it's life.

Patience will pay off. I wanted one the minute they hit the lots, but curbed my enthusiasm until just this past march. Got a leftover 04 at a price that I can live with. Had I bought sooner, I would be moaning about my high payments.

ps I can't post any phone numbers for lester raines, but the web site is www.lesterraines.com. there is no info on there beyond the hours and phone numbers, but you can get that much.
    Yall have any idea how much it would cost to ship to texas? And just a lil clarification, i meant wait till the 06's come out and buy a rebated 05, would it be worth the wait? Thanks again for the words, I'm totally clueless on all of this.
    We don't know there will be an 06, but we think there will be.

It took them a while for the 04 dealer money to max out at $4,000 (or $4,500). What is likely to happen is some rebate/money will be put on the 05s and there will be lots of choices. As those sell and the choices get less, sales slow so they will up the money for better prices. They may do this in several stages. So the best selection can come with the highest price. Lowest price (like right now) can mean the worst selection.

You can call McNutt Auto Transport and ask - you will need the city and ZIP for both the dealership and where you want the car delivered. An non covered (open) haul might be $800-$1,000 depending on the distance. I have used them 3 times in the past, once to sell a 'vette and twice to buy cars.

Dennis
    these cars when I was at Raines because so many of you posters are far away. They said they would be happy to help out in that regard. They may have shipper they use as well - didn't ask that questions. the zip for Raines is 25309.

I looked back at my earlier post and some of those red ones I listed first are nicely equipped. I added a spoiler to mine for just under $300 from my dealer.
    curse my inability to drive a stick and the fact that the air force is sending me to russia for a month on saturday. Hopefully some new 04's will be floatin around when i get back.
    We only have one new 2004 RX-8 left in stock. its priced a few hundred over invoice less the final pay incentive....oddly enough we have sold 3 used RX-8's for more money than the brand new RX-8. Goes to show you that some folks will pay more for a used one in the color they want vs. a new one in the color they don't like.
  • dsmdriverdsmdriver Member Posts: 3
    Ricart in Columbus,OH claims to have about 40 2004 RX-8's in stock. They have not responsed to any emails I have sent though.
    That is pure bologna...
    the warranty starts the day the dealer reports the car sold to mazda....if the warranty has been started its because the dealer burned the RDR

I agree, but I don't think I have seen the acronym "RDR" used before. What does it stand for?

Thanks,
    Dennis
    ricart doesn't have any left, i just called them. Their website is jacked up. Just FYI
    are autos - all 6 spd. You need to learn to drive a manual. I wouldn't even think of owning this car in an auto tranny. It's super easy to shift - find someone to show you the basics and the rest is all trial and error. I hadn't driven a manual for about 4 years when I bought my 8 and every different car takes some getting used to.

Hey, i was curious as to what "RDR" meant as well.
    Some of these dealers are such web bozos. On some of them I click on "current newspaper ad" and got all excited because they had a discount on 2004 8s. They would, since the ad was from a year ago when they had some :-)

Dennis
    some of them go to all this trouble to do elaborate descriptions on cars, photos, contact names....and when you call about the car, they say, "Heck, we sold that car 6 months ago!" Then update your website!!! Autotrader is even bad for that (I realize Autotrader is not responsible for adding and removing, the sellers are), but you'd think they would want to make the most of their advertising dollars and get something they still own on the listings!!

For websites, I would prefer they just do a list of cars with colors, options, new/used, sticker price (at least gives you something to go on) and how to contact them. It's easy to update - delete a car, add a car. The pictures don't really do much for me - I already know what a red RX8 is gonna look like!!
    Okay, i've been doin some autotrader browsing, and i found this:

2004 rx-8 AT, Grand Touring w/ spoiler, leather, sun roof etc. (no nav)
    25,000 miles
    for $22,025

Is that a good starting price for negotiation?
    sorry about the lingo...RDR stands for Retail Delivery Report. Its the info sent to the manufacturer stating the car is sold, to whom, date, miles and how they paid. It triggers the warranty and any applicable incentives.
    on the automatics (didn't shop for them), but you should keep in mind that someone consumed half your warranty with the 25K miles.

I really think you can do better by finding a leftover 04 or waiting a few months for a deal on an 05. My bet is that you can find a dealer who has succeeded in selling his 04's but still has a lot of 05's and you can do some dealing on a new one. Most dealers went well into the first quarter of the year with quite a few 04's and I'm sure they would prefer not to repeat history with the 05's. I guess the deciding factor is whether or not they are making an 06. I'm assuming they will?

I shopped for quite a while for a used yellow 04 until I realized I could get a new one, with a full warranty, for about the same price as used, and less in some cases.

PS Lester Raines that I mentioned earlier did have at least one auto 05. I think it was white, but don't take it to the bank. They may have other autos, I didn't look at the 05 cars when I was there last. No, I'm not part owner of the business (I push it enough), but out of the last 3 or 4 car deals, they completely impressed me - good price without haggling or whining, none of the old dealer tricks they like to pull, no high pressure, good price on my trade, they've sold me accessories for 10% over cost (and little or no installation fees on most of them, except the cd changer) ...That's why I promote them - they deserve to sell a bunch of cars!! In fact, I liked them so much, I'm probably tied to a Honda, Mazda or MItsu for life cause I'll have to buy from them!!
  • jakebebberjakebebber Member Posts: 8
    I was wondering if anyone had any advice or experiencs (good or bad) on purchasing a new RX-8 in the Orlando area? What's a good price for one around here?

Thanks, and hope everyone has a great holiday!

Jake in Orlando
  • kh08kh08 Member Posts: 7
    I went to Fairbanks and was able to talk them 1000 under invoice, but didn't pull the trigger on yet. Makes me wonder if some incentives will be coming out soon.
    Thanks kh!

What model were you looking at? I actually test drove the white GT over the weekend (wow!). I had told the internet saleman that I wasn't buying that night, just test driving, but he wanted to make me an offer anyway. Anyway, he took all my info and ran back to talk with the finance guys I guess, making my wife and I wait for almost 30 minutes.

When he got back with his offer (he was probably enjoying a cup off coffee trying to play games, but who knows?) I tried not to laugh in his face. Of course, he wouldn't let me take the offer with me - "Mr. Fairbanks doesn't allow these offer sheets off premisis" was the reason I was given. Needless to say, I said "thanks" and we went to dinner. He did call back the next day to see if we had any questions, which was nice. The gentleman did seem very nice though.

So I'm wondering what a good deal would be? Fairbanks is near my house, so it's convenient, but there are some other dealerships around too.

Thanks again,

Jake
  • f650racer1f650racer1 Member Posts: 1
    Folks, John Finger Mazda in Greenville SC tells me that the lease special of 299/mo for 24 mos is continued for June. My question: Has anyone been able to get more than the base 6-speed sport for that lease price? If so, how was yours optioned? Thanks, TS
  • kh08kh08 Member Posts: 7
    I was looking at a base 6spd. I think if you're patient with them and allow for some haggling it you could get them back down to what I was at, ($1000 below invoice) maybe lower :) They still factored in the $699 processing fee which is crap and would have had them removed it if I got to the purchasing point. It was at the end of the month so who knows how they'd be now, plus I haven't seen edmunds put up Mazda incentives yet so maybe they might have some coming. Let me know how it goes.
  • fundriver2fundriver2 Member Posts: 2
    I love to drive my 6 speed. I had an Acura Integra years ago (5sp) and then went the mini-van and suv (soccer mom) route, all the while yearning for my Acura. When I saw the RX-8, I had to have it. Waited for '05 model...got it in black...LOVE IT!! Super easy to shift. I'm getting ready to teach my 17 yr old daughter. You should try it, becomes second nature quickly and is so much more responsive. So far, no problems at all and lots of looks and head turning. I now make up reasons to run to the grocery, etc!! ;)
    A potential buyer (out of state) just paid the BMW dealer to inspect my car. It all went well, but I have not heard back from him. It is strange - he has not haggled about price or asked many questions, just asked if I could take it in for the inspection.

Hopefully he will buy it and I can see if I can find a left over 04 that suits me :-)

Actually, if I didn't do it soon I think I would wait to see what they do to the 06 model (Mazdaspeed version, maybe turbo - everyone hopes) before I purchased.

Dennis
  • oga2oga2 Member Posts: 4
    Is mazda coming out with a mazdaspeed version of the 8 in 06? Has there been much talk about this anywhere on the web? I haven't read anything about it.
    The 2006 Speed will be the Mazda6Speed.

Maybe the 2007 Speed will be the 8....or it might be the 3...there is also a MazdaSpeed MPV running around Irvine...so you never know.

stay tuned...
    Wishful thinking. They did the Shinka - a looks only edition so it is "time" at some point to do a MS version. With the SLOW sales of the 8 they may not bother, but they may do it to stimulate sales and interest. They could even boost the output of all the 8s - that would generate sales as current 8 owners "upgraded" to the newer car.

No one knows, but I would think a higher performance version would be made as some point. They are making MS version of several of their cars now.

Dennis
    Thanks kh08. Do we know when/if the 06 models are coming? That may give us even more negotiating room on the 05's.

Jake
  • adroege1adroege1 Member Posts: 3
    So i just got the rx-8 sat it is amazing it is my first car i got myself. I got a pretty good deal i think tell me what you guys think. I leased it for 2 years got the 6 speed with the spolier and accent package. 2000 down that was including everything first months payment, deposite and what not. 300 a month and 12k miles. Good deal?

OH yeah i love the car it is so much fun to drive.
    I read recently that there was a fire at a Mazda assembly plant in Japan, which means that about 15,000 vehicles (all kinds: Tributes, RX-8's, etc.) will be late in shipping to the U.S.

Has anyone had any experience on this affecting price and buying yet?

Overall, how are the RX-8's selling, and is there a 2006 model coming out? I'm just wondering because I'm trying to time my buy as best I can to get a good deal.

Thanks!

Jake in Orlando FL
    your a little late to the party....This happened in December and things are back on schedule....but some versions of some models were cenceled for the remaineder of the year.. SP-23, Miata, MPV, shinka rx-8
    As was pointed out, this was a long way back. In a way it was lucky for Mazda and a lot of the dealers - since the 8 is a really SLOW seller. Some dealers still have 2004 8s on the lot! If the plant had been at full production and they did not shut it down the dealers and Mazda would be swimming in 8s by now.

I think there is $2k worth of lease incentive on 8s right now and MAC has a below prime lease money factor. So it might be a good time to lease one now. Otherwise, you can expect to pay right at invoice for a new 8. If you find a new 2004 8 on the lot, Mazda gave the dealers $4,000-4,500 to get rid of them so most are going for $5k or so under invoice - which is a heck of a deal.

If they do more than just minor tweaks to the 06 models then there will be a lot more dealing right away on the 05s left overs. If it is minor stuff, Mazda will probably put some MAC based money on them first and keep raising it and finally put some customer money on them. That is what they have done in the past. Today is the best day to buy an 04 new, but most have already been sold (but not all). It will be like that with the 05s - best selection = higher prices, better prices = less to choose from.

I love the car, but slow sales and big incentives equal really bad resale values in the future. But if you love the car, don't worry about it - just get one :-)

Dennis
    actually the RX-8 production remained almost consistant during the fire situation....only the special edition rx-8 was pulled.
    Okay.. I found this deal.. can anyone tell me if it's worth it?

$24,500

Used Black AT Rx-8, black/red leather
    Sunroof, spoiler, fully loaded (no nav)
    with 26k miles on it

Any input would be appreciated
  • rorrrorr Member Posts: 3,630
    Too much.

Didn't you have an automatic equipped RX-8 Grand Touring (leather,sunroof,spoiler,etc.) with FEWER miles located last month for right at $22K? I don't think that's very out of line but $24,500 is just too much.
    Way too much. If you can find a left over new 04 w/just GT that would be about what you could get it for. AT cars seems to be slow sellers and I thought I saw a bunch cheap over on ebay.....

Dennis
    I noticed this one on fleabay this morning:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=84160&item=4557293092

2005 (yep an 05) with auto, wing, and NAV for $23,900 on buy it now. Only 3,174 miles on it! Also has chrome wheels. It does not have have a moonroof so it is either a base or sports pack car. It is offered by a Mazda dealer in Texas. They probably sold it and someone's financing fell through or something and they took it back.

Don't know what the reserve is, but it might could be had for less. There are lots of other low mile autos on there as well. Not many are private party sales, most are dealers using fleabay as a cheap way to advertise cars.

Dennis
    unsold and untitled and plenty of 05's coming up OLD, why would you even look at used ones that have half the warranty miles eaten up? As Dennis pointed out, use E-bay or autotrader to hunt down these untitled or used with very low miles and make an offer on one. The autos should really be had cheap. My Mazda dealer won't get them unless someone specifically asks for one because they are slow movers - drops the hps too much. I love my 8, but the reality is that folks are not buying them up as fast as they can make them and prices are way down on them.
    Okay, okay.. ha.. I feel like I got attacked. I guess there is a price to pay to get what you want from a used car. It's just that it has the features i want. Unless there is a new black 04/05 GT (w/ leater) floating around out there for around 25k, IS there??? ha, please tell me. He's down to 24k. What would be a fair price for this car? 22k? 21k? I dont' want to have to "settle" for a cheaper car with less options, i think i'd rather get what i want.
    Ha, k now maybe i'm being too picky. I'm open to any GT that isn't yellow or red (sorry, just don't like the red) new/>5k miles GT + leather, under 25k.