Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volvo XC70 V70 Prices Paid

Comments

• darinddarind Member Posts: 4
    I have scanned these boards and found them extremely useful and I was hoping I could get some feedback on some questions.

Essentially we are considering either buying a new 2007 or a slightly used 2005/2006.

Question #1:
    Are there dramatic differences between the 2005-2007 that would definitely justify going new? Or are the changes roughly cosmetic?

Question #2:
    What really is "Certified Pre-owned". I have read all the "marketing speak" about it. But in layman’s terms, is it essentially the same warranty as if I bought it new?
    I guess after that my question is what are people currently paying for new and are there still 9k in incentives available as dlb126 mentioned? I have tried to go through Costco before but have found the dealership willing to go under the Costco price if we went through the dealership directly.

Anyhow, I have found several 2006 with < 8,000 certified pre-owned for 30k-32k, but if I can get new with 9k of incentives, then that sure is a lot more attractive.

I really appreciate any feedback, we will probably start the ball rolling next week.
  • saabv6saabv6 Member Posts: 4
    I've been in contact with several Volvo dealers in the MA/NH region and this seems to be the early consensus:

07 XC70 MSRP 41,260 (metallic paint, climate pkg, premium pkg) and less the current Volvo rebates + loyalty discount I'm at $35,025, with the rest all within $150.

To darind in Seattle, not sure what the market is in the Pac NW or how many Volvo dealers there are, but all four dealerships I've been in contact with seem eager to move their XC70 inventory because Volvo is introducing the 2008 version at the Geneva Auto Show in March, and the new model should be in US dealerships at some point this fall.

Also, just drove an 07 XC70 and it is virtually identical to my 04 - same inline 5 cyl 208 HP - the only noticable difference that stands out are the side view mirrors, which have signal turn lights on them a la Mercedes Benz.

I actually might wait until later this year on an 07 as the ratio of XC70's to any other vehicle seems about four to one. They have lots of units to move this year before the 08's arrive.
    Well I started sniffing around a bit but I need to do a little more homework and hit a few more dealers. But this was my first quote. I didn't haggle with him too much. This seems a bit expensive compared to what others have posted. Maybe I just need to wait until the 2008's come out.

----

A new 2007 Volvo XC70 AWD, with Climate, Premium, and Convenience packages, Six CD Premium Sound, Sat radio prep and metallic paint. Of course in Lava Sand with taupe interior.

Year: 2007
    Make: Volvo
    Model: XC70 AWD
    New MSRP: $44,482
    Price: $38,997
  • hamishbrownhamishbrown Member Posts: 2
    Hi,

I have just negotiated the following new 2007 XC70 in White with Taupe leather for $35,000 in OC, CA...

Climate Pkg w/Active Bi-Xenon
    Convienence Pkg
    Premium Pkg
    17" Alloy Wheels
    Sat. Prep/Sirius
    I-Pod adapter (installed)
    Steel cargo barrier
    Cargo Tray

I am Scottish and am very tight with the cash, so maybe the salesman did me a favour.

I am very happy with the deal...
  • ucscucsc Member Posts: 48
    Hi there,

Is the 11K incentives still available? If yes, in which states is it valid? Thanks!

UCSC
  • laurawizlaurawiz Member Posts: 3
    I just negotiated a 39 month lease deal on 2007 XC70; all 3 packages(climate, premium, convenience) plus auto starter and third row seating. I am paying a total of $595 at signing and $467.55 per month. This payment includes tax. The residual I am paying is 42%. I think this is a pretty good deal. Am I correct to think this? Also, what does the residual mean? And what is a money factor? I am new to leasing and am not sure what these 2 term mean?
  • eel32eel32 Member Posts: 1
    Hey Hamishbrown,

What a great deal!

Could you could tell me the name of the dealership in OC that you purchased the XC70 from? I'm in the market and would like to give them some business if the deal is right.

Thanks in advance!
  • dqmandqman Member Posts: 4
    Before you commit to a new Volvo XC check out the other forms. I have a 2002 Volvo XC and thought I was the only one with problems. They do not build them like they used to perhaps its Fords influence,as soon as I get mine out of the shop for motor repairs its trade time and bye bye Volvo.
  • hamishbrownhamishbrown Member Posts: 2
    Hi,

Good luck with your negotiations.

BOZZANI VOLVO
    COVINA, CA

;)
  • seamusmacdseamusmacd Member Posts: 1
    Hi. I am buying a 2003 XC70 from a friend who is coming off a 42 month lease. Its been suggested I go through the dealer, and let them certify it and add the additional warranty. I would buy it at the residual, less the amount my friend would pay for extra miles. My question is, is there an allowance on vehicles turned back to the dealer from Ford to the dealer? Example: $40K new/ $20K residual - if its turned back and certified, is the dealers bottom line $20K or does he get it for less - and would there be negotiating room since there are no marketing expenses - direct to me? I hope that makes sense!

Thanks!

Seamus
  • fred49fred49 Member Posts: 1
    I emailed Volvo and asked about the availability of a third row seat in the 2008 XC70 that they are now previewing on their webpage. They responded by reporting that " The preliminary information is that the auxiliary rear facing seat will not be available for the 2008 V70 or XC70 wagons."

Presumably, they are trying to push people into XC90s. They might push people to Subaru.
  • jim314jim314 Member Posts: 491
    The rear facing third row in the V70 is in the rear crush zone. Is this the arrangement in the 2008 XC70? If so, I'm not surprised that Volvo would phase out this option.
  • billiambilliam Member Posts: 1
    We bought our 2001 Volvo V70 off the lease and asked for less than the residual and got it. I truly don't remember what the exact numbers where but it was SOMETHING like - the residual was 19,500 and we offered them 18,000. They said they'd "run it past the guys in the office" and the next day we got a call from "the back office" accepting our offer! I was surprised. I'm sure if we were to have offered 16,000 they would have come back with a counter. They certainly didn't seem "thrown" or annoyed that we wanted to pay less. And we were willing to walk away if they said the price was set in stone. I guess it depends on how well they guessed 3 or 4 or 5 years ago when they guessed how much the car would currently be worth. As a bonus I BELIEVE (this was over a year ago) we also didn't have to pay the $500 "end of lease fee" or whatever they call it.

We then went and bought an extended warranty direct from Volvo for something like $2500 so I figured they probably got their money back right there but since then it has covered over 2500 worth of repairs so we're still doing well. Hope this helps.
  • jwhenryjwhenry Member Posts: 2
    Hi. My husband and I have been shopping for a new vehicle. I have been researching the V70 and found a used 2003 model in our price range 15-22k. My concerns are 1.buying a used car period.
    2.are volvo repairs affordable for a poor working class family??
    I will appreciate any comments and insights.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,139
    are volvo repairs affordable for a poor working class family??

No

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• jwhenryjwhenry Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the comment. Any insight?
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,139
    European cars out of warranty are just plain expensive to maintain.. Swedish models, especially. If you have a budget, and a $3000 repair bill would cause your family hardship, then I would advise buying Honda or Toyota..

I love European cars.. but, when the warranty is up, the car goes away..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• 3pinfever3pinfever Member Posts: 10
    $31,495 is what they want for it, and it will include a $0 deductible 100k extended warranty. It does seem like they are essentially charging you for the warranty. Does this seem like a good deal. I'm thinking $28500 for the car, and then haggle the warranty later. Can you get CPO without the warranty?
    Premium
    Climate
    Parking
    does NOT include 6 disk HU850
  • spsimsspsims Member Posts: 5
    You should be able to do much better. If you look back through the messages for the last year or so you'll see deals for NEW XC70s in the same price range with a new car warranty.

I paid about 30,700 for a new 2006 XC70 last April. 6 miles on it at delivery. It was a lease, but the lease terms were standard and the residual was fine.

Nothing against Hertz, I bought a used rental 960 years ago from a dealer for a decent price and drove the car for 86000 miles. It was a great car. But you can do better than a one year old car at almost a new car price.

Stu
    Are the rebates still active? Does anybody know how much the current rebate is for?
  • guyfguyf Member Posts: 456
    The $5K rebate is still active.
    Just bought an 06 xc70, $29995. If I'm a previous Volvo owner 82 240gl, 92 960, I should be able to get the $500 volvo customer loyalty right? Dealer is saying it is restricted to S80s. I think they are trying to pull a fast one.
  • clarkuclarku Member Posts: 14
    FYI, I just saw a TV ad for a NH Volvo dealer offering 8k off all '07 XC70s in stock, they have over a 100. I traded my '01 xc70 a few weeks ago for an Audi Q7. Although I love the new Audi, I really had a hard time trading in the Volvo, it was a great family car.
  • ronsteveronsteve Member Posts: 1,195
    Nowhere near the greatest price on earth, working with a small dealer in a strong market for Volvos (eastern NC)...

picking up a 2006 V70 2.5T with premium and climate packages...
    retired demo (never titled so "new") with 11000 miles...
    $28642 plus 379 doc plus TTL

I'm sure I could have done better but not within at least 100-200 miles of here! I feel like it's a good, but not great deal.

--ron
    2015 Acura RDX AWD / 2021 VW TIguan SE 4Motion
  • obelusobelus Member Posts: 1
    I have a quote for a new XC70 with the adventure package for about $33,800 plus tax and tags. I understand that the dealer's invoice--minus the $5000 dealer's incentive--is $29,601. Furthermore, the Volvo website indicates it is offering the adventure package for $4500 (down from $8,764). I'm wondering what the dealer's invoice is for the adventure package, and what, if any, additional dealer incentives are being offered by Volvo. Since I've found several dealers who are willing to make a similar offer, I wonder if this is as good a deal as it appears and if the dealers are making more money on new XC70 than is evident from the info I have. Anyone have any insights to offer? Thanks.
  • tlambtlamb Member Posts: 11
    I have no previous experience with Volvo cars, but am now interested in possibly purchasing a 2004 XC70 with 72,000 miles. This particular car is a Toyata dealership resale of a (said to be) Volvo Certified Vehicle.

Two questions to all with any opinions:

(1) Is $15,900 (down from original asking of $17,900) a good price for this vehicle, which seems to be in "good" condition per Kelly Blue Book definitions? and,

(2) Is the Volvo Certified Vehicle 6-year, 100,000 mile warranty transferable to me as a "second" buyer of this Volvo Certified Vehicle from a Toyota dealer, as opposed to buying it from a (certifying) Volvo dealer? The salesman at VOLVO (not the Toyota dealer, which is selling this car) said "yes" to this inquiry -- but I can see reasons why the Volvo Certified Vehicle 6-year, 100,000 mile warranty would not be transferable to me as a "second" buyer of this Volvo Certified Vehicle, especially when it is not purchased from a Volvo dealership.

Any and all guidance is appreciated.

Tom, looking and wondering in Eastern North Carolina
  • ronsteveronsteve Member Posts: 1,195
    Hi Tom...
    I'm surprised the Toyota dealer gave you a price and let you escape without buying the car!

To your first question, that looks like a damn good price, at least compared to the asking prices I saw on a lot of other Volvos in the Carolinas... even if the CPO warranty doesn't transfer.

As for the warranty, that sounds like a question for Volvo corporate/warranty folks.

If there's a way to send a message offline, try it... I think we're dealing with some of the same people here. I bought my '06 V70 from Parkway, and early in the process I had shopped a RAV4 at the Toyota dealer, so perhaps I could share a tidbit or two.

--Ron
    2015 Acura RDX AWD / 2021 VW TIguan SE 4Motion
  • tlambtlamb Member Posts: 11
    Ron,

I would like to compare notes about our experiences with Toyota of Wilmington as soon as possible.

FYI: Volvo warranty person at Parkway said the CPO does not transfer.

Do a Google search for "benzidine lawsuits nc" for my info. I'll be in the office tomorrow.

(My wife and I looked at that same 2006 V70 over at Parkway, ironically.)

Tom
  • ucscucsc Member Posts: 48
    Hi Obelus,

$33,800 is a good price. Could you please email me the dealership and contact sales to tempusage03@yahoo.com? Thanks!

UCSC
  • brendanpbrendanp Member Posts: 2
    Has anyone established exactly what the invoice price of the Adventure Package is? I'm trying to figure out what the base X-Plan cost of an '07 model is at this point (including dealer incentives). Obelus - where'd you get your numbers from?
  • budsjpbudsjp Member Posts: 25
    The invoice price of the Adventure package is $8,764 with a current "special package price" of $4500, a "savings" of $4264. Note it includes about anything you would want from the prior offered packages.
  • brendanpbrendanp Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the response!

That would seem to make an Adventure Package equipped 07 XC70 $35,101 with X-Plan pricing (4k off of invoice for incentives, plus 4500 for the package).

Never having purchased a car new before, should I expect to see the incentives creep even higher as we approach wide availability of the 08s? Or is this pretty much the floor of where the 07s will go?

thanks again!
  • budsjpbudsjp Member Posts: 25
    That was the deal I made on 10 July when I bought mine. My guess would be a better deal might be had as the '08s come on line in September. Dealers are also discounting the overall price as well - the $35k sounds fair at this point.
  • penandinkpenandink Member Posts: 4
    Thought I'd add my info as a data point and - now that we're almost into September - corroborate that last post: Got a new '07 XC 70 w/climate, convenience, premium packages + built-in booster option for $30k from Volvo Danbury (CT). (They also paid off the balance ($1,200 more than their initial trade-in offer) on my '01 Audi A6 avant Quattro). They seemed very motivated. I like the look of the new '08 XC 70, but everybody knows to avoid the first year production run of a new model, no matter who the manufacturer is, so a leftover '07 seemed like a good choice. Especially at the price.

This is my first Volvo family hauler...So my fingers are crossed!
  • henry69henry69 Member Posts: 5
    Hello, is $30K a lease price or purchase price? It sounds very low for purchase price. Thanks!
    Sorry for not being more specific. That was for a lease.
  • finnerfinner Member Posts: 10
    Was looking to purchase the same vehicle. Is the price that you paid a lease or purchase? Don't worry about Volvo's, we currently have a 1998 S-70GLT and 06 S80. Both cars have been good to us. :)
    It was a third party lease. Apparently Volvo has an additional Factory to dealer $5k incentive for such a lease, so that, coupled with the original $5K (I think) Factory to dealer incentive (+ a little negotiating on my part) brought the capitalized cost down from $43k to $30k.

The lease worked out a little better than the Volvo "sign and drive" promo lease.
  • awd_driverawd_driver Member Posts: 5
    Hi All,

My wife just got t-boned in her door this morning in her pristine V70 (71k '98, not a scratch on it) this morning. She walked away (okay, she was taken by an ambulance as a precaution) with only a laceration to her right hand - we can't figure out how that happened, but we're soooo fortunate - the first cops on the scene couldn't believe she was conscious and semi-coherent - some clown crossed over the center line on our rural road and slammed into her door at about 45 MPH)

so now we need to buy another car. We were talking about Priuses (Priusi?) idly for the last year or so, but now the only thing she wants is another V70. With leather and climate and premium, with auto, what should we be expecting. As you can tell, with her car being a '98, we purchase our cars carefully and normally take our time since we do this only every 15 years or so.

But yes, it will be another volvo. It's her first car (she was late to the driving scene), and she is now a believer.

Thanks
    Stephen
  • jim314jim314 Member Posts: 491
    When two vehicles collide the result is that the vehicles exert equal, but opposite forces, on each other. The direction of the force on either of the vehicles is called the PDOF (principal direction of force). In the type of T-bone your wife was in the PDOF would be roughly 45 deg CCW from the straight ahead direction.

This means that as a result of the crash her arms and, to a lesser extent, legs would move roughly toward the left A-pillar. So her right hand laceration could have been caused by her hand sliding forcefully over the steering wheel and amybe striking the dash board. There should be a smudge or even some blood or tissue at the main point of conact.
  • larrymalalarrymala Member Posts: 1
    What was the lease deal you got with those numbers? I am curious as to whether they just raised the residual value and what the money factor was. That would have been a great deal if it was a buy, but one never knows how they play those other numbers. I went to a dealer 2 days ago and get the same numbers, but the monthly was real high. :confuse:
    I don't have the residual in front of me (I'll post when I do) but I leased for 48 months, 12k a year and the monthly payment is $440.
  • blckislandguyblckislandguy Member Posts: 1,150
    I took a look tonight at a new '08 (see my post on the 2008 XC board) and was singularly unimpressed. Thinking that the currrent deal from Volvo was 10K off MSRP on '07s, I casually asked the sales guy if he would go 10K off list. Well, they called the dealer principal at home in RI (this is a small dealership in MA and the guy runs it from his boat, no joke). He came back with 7K off list.

I thought that the present factory incentive was close to 10K off list on a purchase? What should I pay for a new '07 abeit now one year old XC? Please advise (although not a penny more than the dealer paid for it seems the best answer).
  • ricksv70ricksv70 Member Posts: 12
    After months of trying to determine what I wanted to get next, I settled on an 07 XC70. I traded my extremely troublesome (but well loved) 01 V70. I got a deal from a newspaper add - you know the one, they advertise a leader and give a good price to get you in but it doesn't exist. Well mine did exist and now it is in the driveway. The buying experience at Sandberg Northwest was superb. All in all I do like the car but will mention a few aspects that I don't like.

I am getting ready to drop the car off for the third time because the center console wood dash pieces 'creak' like crazy. I have to turn up the radio just so I won't hear it. Twice I had the car in and they put some type of felt tape/anti-rattle tape to remedy it: well it only is good for a month then it starts up again. Like I said, this will be number three. You can keep the wood.

My 01 V70 had a much better interior build. This 07 XC seems to have so many little creaks and groans and rattles. I am surprised that it is this way. After a 7 or so year run with this bodystyle you would think that they got it right finally - it is not the case. the radio and sunroof help hide the creaking sounds.

The other issue is more of a personal taste issue: I do NOT care for leather. Though the seats I have are buttery soft and extremely comfortable I would rather have cloth (which the V70 had). Too much upkeep with leather and I don't like the eventual cracking look. Just look at any used car with leather and see how the driver seat wears. My cloth interior looked like it just came out of the showroom - even after 6 years.

I considered long and hard about waiting until the 08 model. But after having a first year (01) and years of living at the repair shop I learned never to purchase a first year model ever. Everything that could go wrong went wrong with my V70. Ironically I really, really enjoyed that car. The XC is a major improvement in terms of quality and performance - I just hope that it will not be as trouble prone.

Lastly, I have been so often to my dealer for repairs with the V70 and now with the XC I just haven't experienced any mechanical issues to date that it seems sort of weird not taking the car in.

If all these little 'creaks' and 'moans' drive me nuts I will end my 'career' with Volvo and get something more sensible. I will miss the volvo wagons!
    Rick,

Would love to know the deal that you got. We are in the Seattle are and thinking about hitting Barrier and Sandberg in the next week or two. If you don't mind, please post what the specifics were.

Thanks,
    Darin
  • blckislandguyblckislandguy Member Posts: 1,150
    Rick, agree with everything you said except about all leather "eventually cracking" . We have had our '01 XC now for 86K miles and several dogs, including an Irish Wolfehound, and the leather looks good with almost zero care. I think Volvo had the world by the you know what when they came out with the XC wagons in the late 90's but they haven't kept up.

Although some would say it is not a direct competitor, take a look at the BMW X3: 5K less than an X5 but faster with more room; compared to the XC it has more zip and is a lot more fun. The Volvo value proposition is getting less and less compelling than it was a decade ago: the cars have stood still and are now quite boring, the dealers are no better, the customer service hasn't been benchmarked against contemporary standards, and there are now many other alternatives. The XC is only a good deal if you can steal one cheap!
  • mhoopermhooper Member Posts: 1
    Hi,
    From what I've been told, the big incentive (10k) ended on 9/3/07.
  • crestonavecrestonave Member Posts: 209
    Looks like Volvo is getting more aggressive in trying to move the 2008 XC70.

They're running an advertisment in the Sunday paper here (Long Island, New York)
    offering the 2008 XC70 with premium, climate and metallic paint for $399 a month with 3443 cash down and 10,500 mi a year. MSRP for this car is $43575. This includes a complimentary dual screen rear seat dvd entertainment system (which I really don't need or care about).

The car I'd be interested in leasing would add climate, PCC, BLIS, active bi-xenon headlights and Sirius prep. Building this car on the Volvo website shows an MSRP of $45145.

Can anyone tell me what the lease payment and residual should be for "my" car for 24 months?

Thanks, Happy Thanksgiving
  • nyc10011nyc10011 Member Posts: 1
    I just sold my 2001 xc70 78K miles ($9K) great car...I found a 2008 xc70 for $38,285..Allin tax and tags...$41,691..not totally crazy of 2008..I tried for a 2007 but none to be had ny area..is this a good price
    blue (metallic) beige interior...prenium/climate packages blis and the "free" dvd headsets in rear???
    tks for info
  • bombay1bombay1 Member Posts: 1
    Anybody know what kind of rebates to look for on 2007 XC70 still on dealer lots?