Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volvo XC70 V70 Prices Paid

Comments

• xc70guyxc70guy Member Posts: 1
    I think there is $4-5k in manufacturer to dealer money available. We just put a deposit on a 2007 XC70 with Climate, Convenience, and Premium packages for $33,700 in the mid-Atlantic region.
  • antrow1antrow1 Member Posts: 4
    Hi All,

I am here searching for issues reported by current 2008 XC70 owners. I see allot of postings about price so I will provide that info.

I leased my 08 XC70 back in October for $520 per month for 30 months with 10K miles per year. It had an MSRP of $45095. I only paid Tax, tags and $500 deposit. This was the best deal I could find in my area. My friend leased one just after me with an MSRP of 42K and some change and he is paying $700.00 per month...OUCH.

I love the car, it is very luxurious and has some cool features like the Personal Car Communicator, and Blind Spot Warning System. The down sides have been poor gas mileage that is usually around 17-18 mpg in mixed driving but mostly highway and a problems with rattles and steering issues.

The rattles for the most part have been toned down by the service departments efforts but are still present to a certain degree. The steering issues have remained unresolved to date after 4 repair attempts. The car makes a popping or clunking sound the subframe is flexed during turning such as leaving a parking lot. I have put in a complaint and hope the car gets replaced under the lemon law. :lemon:

Currently we are having our first winter storm and instead of driving the in the safety of our AWD Volvo we are commuting in a Prius. Our Volvo remains in a million peices at the dealer with the front end torn apart. I am affraid of what new issues will come up once it is "thrown" back together.

On a better note, my friend has not yet had any issues with his XC70 so it may be that I just got a bad apple. Good luck to those of you getting ready to purchase a new one. You may need it!!! :sick:

As far as the sales experience... I shopped all the dealers in my area and had a terrible experience. Most sales poeple knew nothing about the car and two could not tell the difference between an 2007 and an 2008. To make a long story short, most local dealers would not take much of the MSRP (in October 07). Come to find out that at the quarterly sales meetings all the dealers GM's agreed not to discount the cars. This caused a big issue when I told my discounted quote form one dealer to another. PRICE FIXING came to mind.... :-(
  • bigbuddhabigbuddha Member Posts: 1
    My wife and I live in Seattle area. We just bought a brand new 08 XC70 with Premium, Convenience, Climate, PCC, hands-free bluetooth and booster seats.

Here are some observations from the purchase experience and the car itself:
    1. In Seattle area, no one can beat Sandberg Volvo's price. We paid $37,600 for our package pretax (white exterior and beige interior).
    2. We tried to find all kinds of discounts: family member who has a Volvo, Costco membership, etc. But we didn't need them in Sandberg. Their price was $1000 lower at least and we were told that they did so by keeping advertising low.
    3. Sandberg sold us $3700 worth of additional options (7 year coverage, 3 yr road hazard, chip protection), which was $500 less than the original price.
    4. My first choice of dealer, Barrier in Bellevue, offers many niceties (e.g. free webcam enabled carwash facilities) but they couldn't match the price we were offered in Sandberg. Another dealer, University Volvo, promoted a leasing package that is only $33K. But by my rough calculation, the actual cost amounts to a $4K interest payment off a $16K loan over 3 years.
    5. No I am not affiliated in any way with Sandberg. But I do buy their "no ads budget" explanation and thought I should help them out here.

We love our XC70, obviously (worth $45,551 to be exact). However, after 1st day of driving, here are something other buyers may want to know:
    1. The 235hp engine is high on torque but low on kick. Acceleration comes with pretty noticeable noise that is at least two notches louder on the car radio scale (i.e. you have to tune the radio louder by at least that much to hear the same volume)
    2. NOTE THIS: in a stop-and-go situation (e.g. congested highway), you may feel not-infrequent jerking. It is as if the auto transmission doesn't know which gear to engage. This is particularly so if you just let go the brake or tap on the gas slightly.

Hope this helps other buyers.

Enjoy!
  • steelekaisteelekai Member Posts: 6
    I just ran across a new '07 with Premium Package, Climate Package and Navigation on a lot in the mid-Atlantic. Anyone have an idea of a good price? My review of the posts and my thinking that they really want to lose this car before the end of the month makes me think I can get them to bite on $31,000. It's MSRP is $43,500. Thoughts?
    I just ran across a new '07 with Premium Package, Climate Package and Navigation on a lot in the mid-Atlantic. Anyone have an idea of a good price? My review of the posts and my thinking that they really want to lose this car before the end of the month -- and the fact that the '08s rule their lot -- makes me think I can get them to bite on $31,000. It's MSRP is $43,500. Should I shoot for more off, or am I dreaming that they will take $12k off this car. Thoughts?
    After a few days of haggling and going back-and-forth on details, my wife and I decided to pull the trigger and buy a "new" 2007 XC70 (blue with navigation, Premium package and Climate package) with 300 test-drive miles. This car was sitting on the Darcars Volvo lot in Rockville, Maryland and was among a lot of redesigned and significantly more expensive 2008s. I had visited the lot two times and talked with three different sales people and one general manager about the car and a potential purchase. In the end, I had a great price and was happy about the buying decision. On the big day, I took off an afternoon of work and made the journey from Virginia to Maryland to get the car. It was washed, gassed and ready for us when we arrived. A few handshakes with sales folks and we were in the finance office ready to sign papers on our "new" car. Well, so we thought.

One of the first pieces of paper that was stuck in front of us was a disclaimer of sorts that said we understood and acknowledge that the car was originally purchased and taken back by the dealer. Umm, red flag! We were told by the FI guy that the original buyer (eight months earlier) couldn't get financing, so the dealer got the car back. He told us that this happens "all the time." I asked to talk to the sales manager and, again, he assured us that this car was new and had never been titled. We didn't feel comfortable, but a free luggage matt for the back of the car and we were still ready for the purchase. My wife then asked a simple question ... "how do we know that this original buyer didn't get in an accident or something." The FI guy said he had the car history right there on his computer. He proceeded to pull up a screen that showed five incidences on this car. Three of the line items indicated charging after receiving the car from the factory, prep for sale and something else that was related to preparing the car for sale. But two other entries showed an electronics issue that made the engine fail and another that had the airbags warning light going off. Both of these issues happened around 100 miles and were right around the same time the original buyer allegedly couldn't get loan approval and the car was taken back by the dealer. More digging, we found out that the buyer brought the car back right after the purchase (within a day or so) for these issues and receive a loaner car. My thinking is, why would someone that couldn't get approved for a loan bring the car back? And why on Earth would the dealership give this cash-strapped person a Volvo loaner car? Well, a little more digging and talking with my original salesman and I learned that the original owner brought the car back immediately after buying it because of the problems with the electronics, and then the car was fixed by the dealership. I'm assuming that the owner decided that this car was a lemon and wanted to get out of the deal. The sales folks and dealership didn't call it a buy back, but I believe that's exactly what happened.

So, after some calls to friends in the car business and some intense marital discussions, we walked out of the finance office and out of the dealership.

Bottom line: Darcars Volvo in Rockville, Maryland attempted to sell us a car that was supposed to be new, but had actually been bought and returned by another person. They NEVER told me that the car was bought and returned with electrical problems when I was first looking at the car. They NEVER told me that the car was bought and returned with electrical problems when I was haggling over the price. They never told me anything, except that this was a NEW car. They never said a word, until I was in the finance office and ready to make the purchase. Not cool, people!

After a few hours of fuming, we called the dealership and talked with the sales manager (the GM was out sick). They still stand behind their position that this is a new car since it had never been titled. So, buyer beware at Darcars Volvo in Rockville, Maryland.
  • crestonavecrestonave Member Posts: 209
    Sounds like it's a crock to me. I've never in my life heard of a dealership allowing a customer to drive away with a new car without having financing in place. How was the car originally registered if there was no title? I did you drive the car before you bought it? How many miles were on the car when you looked at it?
    The car had 300 miles on it. I was told that was from test drives and the fact that it had been on the lot for a while (first red flag). I did drive it and it ran great. I assume the car would be fine, but I was trying to buy a new car and not a slightly used car that had mechanical problems from the beginning.

A crock is a nice way to put it. I can't prove it, but I assume the original buyer brought back the car within a day or so of owning it with the electrical problem. Then, after the dealer fixed the car, another problem with the EBS warning light. After that the owner told them to take the car back. Instead of doing a "buy back," the dealer could say that the bank financing didn't go through for whatever reason (increase in interest rate or the buyer couldn't land the financing), so they could stick the car back in the new-car inventory. Interestingly, the dealer has five other '07 XC70s without navigation as loaner cars. This car that I almost bought was the only '07 they had with navigation. I'm assuming they didn't want to eat the cost of the car and was trying to pass it off as a new car.

Another note, after writing this posting, my wife went back and forth with the GM of the dealership and she’s actually standing behind their position. However, in one conversation she told my wife that they pulled the car from the lot. In the next conversation a few hours later, she tried to sell my wife the car again as a "new" car, but with an extended three-year warranty. She also said she would give us a "deal" and sell us an equal '08 for invoice ($46k). That's very nice of her, but I think I would rather put my finger in an outlet.

Please spread the word that Darcars Volvo in Rockville, Maryland has questionable ethics.
    Well, now I get it. I finally agreed on $34,000 out the door. Ready my post below to see how that purchase actually went. :(
  • singh09singh09 Member Posts: 2
    Wait to you deal with the Service Department. It's just as bad if not worse...They don't stand behind anything, to include Volvo's own Certified pre-owned standards.

I bought a Certified pre-owned XC90 about 2 mos ago, turns out the front windshield wiper (intermitent setting) never worked. I tried to take it in for service, and after 3 days (2 separate service appointments) they say the problem lies with an after-market windshield (not Volvo supplied) that won't let the sensor read the rain....anyway, Darcars Service says, it'll cost $700-$800, but they'll split the cost. they say they've been burned on people bringing in issues like this for certified pre-owned replacements...whatever.

Now tthey are questioning our ethics as to whether WE replaced the windshield and are insinuating that we're lying to them....come on. Sounds to me their certified pre-owned program is crap and they don't stand behind anything.

STAY CLEAR OF DARCARS VOLVO, ROCKVILLE, MD.
    Sorry to hear about that. I won't have to deal with them, however, because I walked out of the FI office and decided not to deal with them. I just bought an Outback LL Bean and had a great purchase experience.
  • bethanybreezebethanybreeze Member Posts: 20
    I came across this page quite randomly, but found the posts interesting enough to want to throw in one of my own. I too have had service issues with Darcars Volvo in Rockville, although mine were with brand new vehicles, back in 2006. Vehicles - plural. The first one was in and out of the shop so many times for the same issue that it reached lemon status and I agreed to take a new, identical car. I figured out, on my own, when the no-start would happen again, since after a couple no-starts, I jokingly said to someone "I don't think it likes my garage!". Yet it wasn't really such a joke.... it didn't! Sounds insane, I know, but what it was apparently doing in my garage was continually trying to automatically lock the doors I left unlocked, eventually (after leaving it parked a couple of days) wearing down the battery. The story goes on... the replacement car DID THE SAME EXACT THING! And it ONLY happened when parked in my garage, since that's the only time I left it unlocked. I TOLD this to Volvo numerous times... they just laughed at me, and at least TWICE told me "You MUST have left a light on!". I was dumb enough to keep leaving lights on?? I don't THINK so guys!! Back in November of '96 I sent an email to Darcars, cc'd to Volvo, telling them I do not appreciate their obvious "Blame the customer first!" approach. Also not too fond of their random replacements of parts in attempt to diagnose and repair.... one day those costs will be on me, and as much as I LOVE my car now, that is still quite scary to me.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,934
    I've never in my life heard of a dealership allowing a customer to drive away with a new car without having financing in place.

It happens every single day a dealership is open and doing business. Banks are not open as late as dealerships, especially on Saturdays. But dealer want to get people out the door and on the road, so they sell them the cars with contingencies in place. They believe that, based on the person's credit report, etc, that financing will happen the next business day, but it doesn't always happen that way.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• truffles1truffles1 Member Posts: 20
    To Volvomax: Do you know if the 2009 xc70 will include either the turbo charged 3.0 inline six or the 4C chassis suspension, choices that are available in the S80? I own two new XC90's, which I love and will looking at a new leased company car later in the year. In driving xc70's and xc90's before my recent purchase, I found the XC70 suspension to be floaty compared to the XC90. Many thanks.
  • volvogalvolvogal Member Posts: 2
    ...apart from those listed on Edmunds(1K cash to cust owner loyalty & 2K manufacturer to dealer)?

Thanks!
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A reporter from a national newspaper is looking to speak to consumers who just purchased a new Volvo V70 within the past six months and whether it had anything to do with gas prices. If you’re interested in speaking to the reporter, please contact Chintan Talati at ctalati@edmunds.com with your daytime contact information no later than June 23, 2008.
  • awd_driverawd_driver Member Posts: 5
    Hi All,

Looking at a 2008 V70, premium and climate pkgs, 7K miles. It is a service loaner, never titled, and comes with the remainder of the factory waranty.

Looking at a price of 29000 and change. Seems like a great deal, but what do you all think?

(It is a replacement for my wife's 98 V70 which was totalled last year, which is why we're getting another one. It was a very, very safe car.)

Thanks
  • cohenfivecohenfive Member Posts: 85
    i have no idea where new v70's are trading these days, my wife saw one she liked at the dealer this evening (msrp just under $40k), but i don't know what money is available or where these things should be right now. thanks!
  • craig2121craig2121 Member Posts: 5
    Thinking of purchasing a 2008 v70 this weekend. Negotiated $30,800 for a model with metallic paint, climate package, premium package and roof rails. It looks like this is about $4000 under invoice. What do you guys think? Is this a good family car??
  • jim314jim314 Member Posts: 491
    How can you get a price of $30,800 for this? The Edmunds site gives an Invoice of $34,956 and a TMV price ("what others are paying") of $35,743 for this.

From the Edmunds site Link

2008 Volvo V70
    3.2 4dr Wagon (3.2L 6cyl 6A)
    What Others
    Are Paying

MSRP Invoice
    National Base Price
    A note about advertising fees $32,465 $30,517 $30,991
    Regional Adjustment
    for Zip Code Change - - $127
    Optional Equipment $4,295 $3,694 $3,880
    -- Metallic Paint $475 $409 $429
    -- Premium Package $2,995 $2,575 $2,705
    -- Climate Package $525 $452 $475
    000729 Bright Silver Roof Rails $300 $258 $271
    Color Adjustment - - $0
    Oyster Grey Metallic
    Destination Charge $745 $745 $745

Total with Options

MSRP $37,505
    Invoice $34,956
    TMV $35,743
    End of year clearance - dealer getting rebate . . i think
    If this is a brand new vehicle (test driven some so odo < ~100 miles but not a demonstrator vehicle), then I would say two things:

(1) It sounds like a terrific deal, and

(2) The Edmunds TMV value is not credible; some buyers are getting new vehicles for very much less than the TMV.
    Brand new vehicle approx 15 miles on it w/ plastic still covering the leather seats. Contacted internet sales rep who quoted a price of 31, 800 and then got them down to 30, 800 as I had saw a similar vehicle at another dealership for that price. Was pretty easy. There is a $2500 dealer incentive to move the 2008s by the end of this month.
  • daredvldavedaredvldave Member Posts: 1
    I picked one up at the end of August for about $6500 off MSRP it was a demo with 50 miles, so the warranty clock had been ticking for 6mo or so. Stickered just shy or $40,000, got it for $33,500
  • LittlefamilyLittlefamily Member Posts: 3
    We have found a 2005 V70 R for sale from a private owner. It has 35,000 miles on it and seems to have had all service completed by the dealership and is in good condition.

What would be a good price for this vehicle?

Are there any recurring issues with this model we should be sure to have the mechanic check?

Thanks
    Try asking here.

don't forget to include ALL the details. Does it have heated seats (climate pack), moonroof and memory seats (premium pack)? Color and location help, too.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• fergyjfergyj Member Posts: 4
    Is it really possible that nobody has purchased a 2008 or 2009 XC70 since 09/30/08? If so, what aren't the dealers willing to deal? I have talked with several dealers in Central Illinois and Eastern Iowa and this is all I am coming up with...

$10000 off a 2008 (sticker:44,960) and $9000 trade for my '04 XC70 with 51,000 miles. $25,473 OTD with tax, etc. Been on the lot for over a year.

The numbers on the '09's (t6 or I6) are about the same.

At this point, I am willing to just sit and wait for the Mktg $ on the '09's.

Am I being unreasonable? I just figured that if all these volvos are sitting on the lots, I would expect a little more?
  • crestonavecrestonave Member Posts: 209
    I'm also trying to figure this out. From everything we hear, car dealers are desperate to move cars - we're told they're practically giving them away. I would think they'd be happy to have some cash flow at this point, but I guess I'm not being realistic. I don't need a new car but it thought it would be nice to have one. I'm not going to do anything unless I can get the car I want at the price I want. I'll keep my eyes open, is all at this point.
    well, dealers don't want to take a big loss, either. They need manufacturer support. And, I don't know all the circumstances or inner workings, but maybe Volvo being on the auction block from Ford could affect such support. (?)

I finally pulled the trigger on a new XC70. Based on all the legwork I did as well as other offers, I received, I feel pretty good about the transaction. Here is what I did...

I was looking locally in smaller markets for a 2008 XC70 and really had little or no luck. (see previous post #345) So, I googled "largest volume volvo dealer and expanded my search to the two closest dealerships that had the largest inventory of '08's. I emailed both and got their best prices on the model I was looking for. One was in MPLS and the other in St. Louis. Both places were considerably better than any of the local dealers I had talked to in Central Illinois. I then searched the local dealers inventory to find the exact options I was quoted from the big city dealers.

I found a 2008 XC70 with premium pkg, Climate, personal car comm., and sat prep. Sticker price was $41,980. My trade was a '04 XC70 with 54,000 miles and similar options. I also had dent on my driver's door that was quoted $800 to fix from my local guy. When I met with the local dealer, I took my Blackberry with both offers in my email. The dealer first offered $21k plus tax, etc. and I got up to leave. They asked what my offer was and I told them $20k OTD. Well, the guy took it. I was in shock. I didn't have a check, nothing. We contacted my credit union and sealed things up. Here's the breakdown...

Sale Price: $30,258
    Trade: $11,258
    Tax: $1330
    Title:$78
    Total: $20,000 OTD

I felt pretty good. Let me know your thoughts...
    Sounds pretty good, but your numbers don't quite add up. $30,258-$11,258=$19,000
    $19,000+$1330+$78=$20,408 OTD

Sorry, I was trying to calculate it backwards. The deal was 20k OTD
    No problem. It sounds pretty good.

I mean, the way I'd look at it is, since it looks like you had the last one for 4 years, you may have this one for 4 years, so you're paying $20k to rent the car for 4 years. At $5k/year, it would be like leasing one for ~$417/mo with $0 down, which is quite good. :)

• jcwcalijcwcali Member Posts: 4
    Bought a new 2008 (left over) XC70 on 4/09 in Southern Cali, list price $48,100. Loaded with options, similar new 2009 lists for $4,000.00 less. Paid 33,200. I have always leased my cars (usually BMW's for @ 15 years) but this deal seemed to good to be true. We love the car and have a total of 200 miles and one warranty service already. Maybe this is a result of being owned by Ford!
    The dealer who serviced the car "Rusnack Volvo Pasadena" has bent over backwards to make things right, even though I did not purchase the car from them. Other than having to add bluetooth we are very excited about the new ride and are enjoying the "Grateful Dead Channel" on Serious Sat, while rolling down the road!
  • kmausskmauss Member Posts: 72
    Hi all,

I drove my first Volvo last night and to say I was deeply impressed is a major understatement. I absolutely loved it. I drove two different XC 70's -- both five years old and far more solid than many new American cars, and the seats - to die for! I was really amazed at how well it drove, handled, the power, all of it. It was like nothing I had ever driven before. But having said all that gushy stuff......

I am not at the point of buying anything yet, despite a moment of serious temptation last night. I have heard some real horror stories about Volvo lemons :lemon: that would put you in the poorhouse and on the opposite end of the spectrum, have heard from many near religous devotees who swear they are the best car ever made and run them to 250K miles with no problems. I've heard little in between. It leaves me to wonder what the deal is. Are some years bad years? Is it just luck of the draw?

I will have a very modest budget for replacing my leased Impala. I really can't go over about $350 per month, so my only option would be to purchase one with some years and miles on it. The great attraction to a car like this IS the possibility of getting many good years from it after it's paid off, unlike certain other American vehicles that have been disposable at five years old. (Like a certain Intrepid that broke my heart and my bank account before I ditched it! :cry: ) But on the other hand, it won't do me much good to have a nice car that's always in the shop and bankrupting me.

So I would really love to hear from some XC70 owners - the good, the bad and the ugly. I have plenty of time to make decisions -- my lease isn't up for months yet. If I do decide to go this route, I want to make sure I walk into it with my eyes wide open.

Thank you all VERY much in advance!
    Karen
    Look at the Subaru Outback and Forester and compare with the XC70. There are some maintenance problems with the Volvo geartronic transmission and all-wheel-drive (AWD) and turbocharger systems. Be sure to compare Subarus with the same safety equipment as the XC70--full airbags and dynamic stability and traction control.

I got a 2004 V70 base model 2.4L 168 hp gasoline non-turbo as a hand-me-down and it has performed perfectly. It is great on the interstate, great mpg, but cannot handle rough roads.

See this and scroll down to "Elusive World Car?"
    I have heard some real horror stories about Volvo lemons :lemon: that would put you in the poorhouse and on the opposite end of the spectrum, have heard from many near religous devotees who swear they are the best car ever made and run them to 250K miles with no problems. I've heard little in between. It leaves me to wonder what the deal is.

When researching cars, this is pretty much the norm you will find on the internet. Keep in mind, folks seek out a forum on which to spew the extreme examples (for the most part). Those thousands and thousands of owners who have no issues have no reason to go looking for a forum on which they can vent.

Thanks Jim! I very much intended to go and look at Subarus as well as several other things that interest me. I also like the Honda CRV even though it's a completely different animal - looked at one of them like 2 years ago. Drove a Ford Edge two weeks ago and was surprised how much I liked it as well.
    K.
    You make a VERY good point! I have noticed that when looking at many different vehicles American, European, Japanese, etc. There are few reviews in the middle of the bell curve!

I was given some very good advice by an experienced mechanic today. He said if it's a used Volvo and you know it's been regularly serviced by the dealership, it is probably a very good bet. But if you don't know where it's been, or who may have done what to it, run away, run away as they say in Monty Python! He said in his experience, local mechanics, good as they may be on 'normal' cars don't have the extremely pricey software needed to even do normal maintenance on Volvos and thus they get permanently screwed up. I never would have thought about that - as unmechanically inclined as I am, I thought an oil change is an oil change! :surprise: Would you all tend to agree with him?

Many thanks! :)
    Karen
    yup. That's pretty much true of any used car. Service history is a VERY good thing to have.

• ronsteveronsteve Member Posts: 1,194
    Do you want a SUV or a wagon? How important is AWD and how much do you plan to do with it?

Look at the Outback... if I coulda found an XT with the manual, or if I hadn't found the particular V70 I ended up with, I'd probably have an Outback. Look at the Forester. If you want an SUV and AWD is important to you, look at the Toyota RAV4.

If you get a used Volvo, dealer service history is important.

If AWD is important to you, Subaru is better, as is the RAV4.
    2015 Acura RDX AWD / 2021 VW TIguan SE 4Motion
    Hi ronsteve, thanks for the thoughts! In truth, I am not picky whether SUV or wagon, or whether AWD or not. I have briefly looked at the RAV4 and I also got a good impression from it. I have not yet gone to look at Subarus, but they are on my list. :)
  • mvosburghmvosburgh Member Posts: 2
    Regarding a choice between a Subaru and a Volvo, I can only say that having had both the choice is very clear. We had owned Volvos until 2003 when we opted to purchase a 2000 Outback. Auto ran fine until 65,000 miles and then the clutch, cooling system and brake trouble began. We have spent nearly $5000 over the past 3 years and the vehicle noise is loud inside (gaskets on front windows replaced and still no good). After reading good and bad about the XC70, we are trading in that bad Subaru for a solid quiet Volvo. By the way, you can find a blog for dissatisfied Subaru owners through Google. Apparently, Subaru was well aware of head gasket problems during the 1999-2002 years and did little to stand by their vehicles. Hope this helps!
  • ab68ab68 Member Posts: 6
    Car_man,

Would you please post the residuals and money factors for a Volvo XC70 (both trims), whichever term (up to 48 months) is most favorable, lowest mileage allowed by Volvo. I understand Chase underwrites their leases, correct?

THANKS!!!
  • blckislandguyblckislandguy Member Posts: 1,150
    I've posted here in the past about the problems we have had with our 2001 XC. Some were fairly critical. I didn't think that the newly restyled XC was any improvement. Was I wrong.

A week or so ago, we bought a new 2009 XC with premium and techonology for MSRP, less 10K. It was a painless transaction with Lee Volvo in Wellesley, MA. While I recognize that our brand new 2009 is now one model year old, we keep cars for a long time and the 2009's still have the five year free scheduled maintenance and five year warranty. The new 2010's have only 4 years.

We like the car a lot. It has clearly much less torque steer, is a lot quicker, and has better ride than than the 2001. Plus lots of little features that make it a great car for New England: heated headlight washers, a conservative non-wheel bending tire profile, SERIUS radio (yep, anyone driving in rural VT or NH better have SERIUS), etc. Although the technology package contained zenons and a better sterio and not much else we wanted it for increased safety on dark nights. Curiosly enough, our XC with premium and technology (only) came through with nicely tinted rear windows although it wasn't mentioned as being part of either package.

Why a Volvo XC instead of an Audi or BMW wagon? Afterall, at this stage in the game we could afford to have gone German. Easy. With the 6K factory incentive, the 2.5K loyaty incentive and the dealer contribution we paid about 34K. No way an Audi or a 5 Series wagon would have been within 20K of that. Leaving money aside, the ride is great, the seats are the best in the industry (as our 2001 seats are), the wheels are not super low profile, and it has all the bells and whistles we need. (I am still not sure if I had had the choice if I would have gone for the turbo version for 2K more.)

In the meantime, we kept the 2001 XC. Don't know why except maybe we are a glutton for punishment. At 105,000 miles it runs like a train (and always has: the suspension and brakes have always been issues) but we are told the drive shaft center carrier bearing is worn and the drive shaft will begin moving around shortly. This would be no big deal in most cars as you would just drop the drive shaft and replace the center carrier bearing. Volvo? Nope. You can't buy the center support separately and have to buy the whole driveshaft for $1100.

Maybe VolvoMax knows of a junkyard with good used drive shafts?
  • volvomaxvolvomax Member Posts: 5,238
    Congrats on the new car!

Only Volvo junkyard I know of is Hirsch Industries in Phoenix.
    Chances are, there is someone closer to home.
  • zamozamo Member Posts: 122
    5 year Safe + Sound are now applicable to 2010s
  • blckislandguyblckislandguy Member Posts: 1,150
    In a post above I commented how happy we are with my wife' new 2009 XC70. I may have not been effusive enough. We really like the car and she is enjoying it immensely. Great ride, great seats, nice new features over the older versions, and on and on. Which leads me to a question.

I'm puzzled why the XC70 doesn't sell better. What is the competition? Below it we have Suburu wagons which seem to do well with the my-car-is-an appliance crowd. Above Volvo we have the Germans with their AWD wagons (Audi, BMW, and MB) which for the comparable size are maybe 20K more money. It seems to me that Volvo occupies the sweet spot in the middle offerring a good ride, great interior (lifted from the S80) and seating, no overwhelming tech features like i Drive, some panache, and so forth. Sure, the Volvo "brand" isn't as powerful as BMW or MB but the lower price surely must make up for that. Sure, the local Volvo dealer's facilities aren't as grand as the local MB dealer, but who cares?

Moreover, not only is the XC70 priced right, because it IS priced right, the XC70 is more suitable to the task of being an all weather family hauler of kids, groceries, hockey equipment bags, etc. In other words, do you really want to use an E Class wagon or a 5 Series to haul Seamus and his three high school friends and their gear off to hockey practice in the middle of snow storm? Do you really want to drive a new E Class wagon to BJs or Sams Club and load $400 worth of stuff into it and hope that the guy next to you doesn't nick you with his cart? Do you really want to risk bending a 5 Series tire/wheel in a Northeast US pothole?

So why don' t they sell more? In a rational world....
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,785
    So why don' t they sell more? In a rational world....

My take on it? Women hate station wagons, and love SUVs.. If it rides up high like a truck, you can sell almost any piece of crap... but, if it rides a little lower and looks like a wagon, you can't give it away..

Which is why they have a Venza instead of a Camry wagon. The new CrossTour, instead of an Accord or TSX wagon.. And, why Infiniti has a $5K incentive on their not tall enough EX35...

It's also why the new Caddy SRX, which is a warmed over FWD-based Equinox, will out-sell the new RWD CTS wagon by 10-1.. even though the CTS wagon is by far the better vehicle..

It's only old guys who like wagons.... and their aren't enough of us around..

You may disagree... ;)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

It's only old guys who like wagons.... and their aren't enough of us around..

Absolutely I disagree! I ain't old!

;b