Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet Malibu Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• maxx4memaxx4me Member Posts: 1,340
    hey crh: I am one of the NOVA folks here; Jim McKay Chevrolet on Lee Hwy is the most straight forward dealer around. Go on line to jimmckaychevrolet.com or give my buddy Chris Hahn a call. Family owned business and great people to deal with. I got my car there since I am a UBS customer and we are forced to go there. I only wish that dealer was closer to my home; mfletouva, pao, and I are all neighbors in the Alexandria area. I'd definitely do all my service work there if they were closer to my home.
  • gasguzzlergasguzzler Member Posts: 1
    After extensive research, my family of 4 (including me, my husband, a 7 yr old & a 3 yr old) picked up our new silver Maxx LT last night in Little Rock, AR! I absolutely love this car. We got all options & the 1SB package for 22,200. Used the $4000 rebate to get to this price. I have a lot of reading to do to figure everything out! The satellite radio is awesome! I don't know what I did without it before! Our 2nd car is a Dodge Durango which is in the shop getting a re-built transmission right now.

We looked at the Scion XB, & the Matrix. For a few more thousand, I think the options on the Maxx are quite worth the money.
  • haulthault Member Posts: 130
    If you are still on the original GM card plan you can use the full $3500 on one car. GM changed the plan about 2-3 years ago. They offered some small incentive to transfer to the new program, but the catch was like a $1000 or so limit per car. I stayed with the original plan. I recently purchased a 2004 Maxx LS with the side curtain, remote, etc package. They offered the so called invoice price minus the $4000 rebate, minus $3600 GM money, plus I have another $1500 on "Drivers Edge" card. I ended up with over $10,000 off the MSRP. So far I like the car. The roomy rear seat area was my main interest in the car.
  • crhcrh Member Posts: 29
    Husband would rather wait until about November to get a third car. He would rather not pay taxes/insurance on a car until we need it, which is when daughter gets her license. But I'm worried that by November there won't be any 04s left, and there won't be a cash back incentive even close to the one that is out there now. Any insight? We're definitely leaning towards the Malibu Maxx right now. Thanks to everyone for the input thus far!
  • crhcrh Member Posts: 29
    Okay, I sent out some internet feelers, and one guy responded back with this "I sell all Malibu Maxx for 7000 off MSRP, excluding taxes, tags and $289 processing fees. We can deduct the GM credits from the balance" But he didn't say how much of the GM credits he would use. On the outside, this seems like a good deal, but I'm cynical enough to think there must be something hidden in there I'm not seeing.
  • maxx4memaxx4me Member Posts: 1,340
    I paid $19,237.97 after all taxes. My MSRP on the Maxx LS with 1SB power package and a sunroof listed as $23,875 before taxes. My fantastic buying service price was $22,499 before taxes. That is a $1,376 difference from sticker. Add on the $4,000 loyalty bonus, and my price from sticker was $5,376 before taxes. If this dealer is saying he is taking another $1,700 before taxes off of the Maxx, I have no clue how he is doing this. Even if the dealer were to give you the 2% holdback (2% of MSRP) that Chevy will cut the dealer at the end of the year, that is only another $450 or so. I simply cannot see how a dealer could sell a Maxx at $7,000 below MSRP before taxes. I'd be very skeptical too.
  • haulthault Member Posts: 130
    The dealer I bought from had a car in their ad a Maxx LS w/1SB package listed for 23,150 discounted 2651 minus 4000 rebate for total 16,499. I talked to other dealers who claimed the price was below dealer cost and they could not match it. The dealer with the ad admitted it was a 1 car teaser to get you into the dealer, better known as the bait an switch. They offered me the "invoice" price listed on edmunds.
  • joe3891joe3891 Member Posts: 759
    I did not ask about options because I wanted a sedan, from my research on the 04 Malibu the MAXX is a slow mover so now is the time to buy, great deals. When I was looking for my sedan the salesman/person would try to steer me to a MAXX, so if you want one they will deal.
  • paopao Member Posts: 1,867
    bought mine in Mar....LT with 1SB with all options less multi CD player and engine heater...MSRP was almost 28K...drove it off the lot fo 18.5 after rebates and my trade in....quite happy with it..6800 miles later
  • koolduckkoolduck Member Posts: 1
    bought an 04 malibu ls in jan..love it...a few complaints:headrests uncomfortable ,too small glove box..instrument cluster wont light up when turning on headlights MANUALLY(on rainy days when the"eye" doesnt think its dark enough);no compression for cd play;no cassette option;no choice for int/ext color mating(i would have preferred my navy blue w/ a grey int 'stead of neutral)...also wanted only a spoiler,but had to order it as an aftermkt even though catalogue showed it as a stand-alone option(misprint)..didnt want $800 1sb pkge..dealer installed it wrong(flush on trunk instead of 1+inch overhang)..had them move it ..improved but still not correct..gm refunded dealer install fee..not so bad . car needs improvement but a very good start...8500 miles no major problems ! ..
    Thats a good deal for an MAXX LT you should be happy, what is your build date its on the driver door tag my is 3/04 and I had the transmission noise but they fixed it last week.
    Joe,

Jim, Im aware of the problem..it appears to be a resonance issue....item 127 in the problems and solutions forum..I havent noticed any noise in mine...but will mention it to the service manager on Monday....I hate anytime a repair has to be made to a transmission....I have never had luck once it has been repaired ..with experience over several cars....so will leave it alone if I dont notice anything...! My was built in Feb 04
    sorry...item 126 in the problems and solution forum!
  • robs_placerobs_place Member Posts: 24
    New GM credit cards do carry limits depending on the model and should be able to be combined with cash back. It's 2 separate transactions, GM points is between the buyer and GM, cash back is really a deal between the Dealer and GM.
    I have the old GM card which allows a max. of $3,500 for any GM car. GM tried to entice me to switch over to their new card but only a fool would switch.
    Getting both the cash back and GM points applied to our Maxx was the smoothest part of the transaction. The cash back was entered in the contract and the GM points was called in by our salesperson.
    The key is to negotiate the sales price first! and do not allow the rebate or points to be included in the negotiation. Any cash incentive should be applied afterwards and should be considered paperwork only.

Good Luck!

Rob
    You must be lucky the affected transmissions were install Jan, Feb, Mar and April looking at the trans Julian build dates.
    well the car goes in tommorrow for the recall so will mention it to the service manager.....does the work involve dropping the transmission housing..Im just very leery of breaking a factory seal on a transmission..I have never had any luck once that happened..either through AAMCO or a dealer repair..never had a transmission last more than 15K on a Ford, a Chrysler, or a Honda.....or just guess Im cursed..LOL
    I hear you but your luck has to change, its sub frame drop, trans removal and case split, remove channel plate with valve body and now you are at the chain and sprockets.
    I didn't worry the warranty is 3/36 so anything they did wrong will show up.
    2 days after I picked it up we went on a 400 mi trip into some remote areas but I figured it would be good chance to test Onstar, trans was perfect.
    I did the little test someone posted...starting the accceleration at the base of a hill and start up it from a stop and noticed nothing, have done some hard acceleration onto the interstate on ramps and still nothing....so agree....3/36 it will show up if a systematic problem...right now quite happy ...6900 miles and rolling along fine
  • raybee1raybee1 Member Posts: 2
    Just picked up Malibu ls with 1SB package last week. We absolutely love this car. We had no intentions of buying a new car but the rebates currently offered swayed us. We had a 2000 galant es that we were perfectly happy with. That being said I thought I would share my buying experience. My wife and i decided to test drive a maxx and loved it. I sat with the salesman while she waited in our other car with our 2 boys. When I sat in the show room I knew it was going to be a long night when the salesman shoved a credit application in front of me hand told me to fill it out. I explained that I was probably financing the dcar through my cu at 3.9%. The salesman took my keys and came back 15 minutes later and said we can get you in that car for $285 a month for 60 months A 3.9%. I told I didn't want to know the monthly payments I wanted the bottom line price. He excused himself and came back 5 minutes later. The price was $14,500. This figure supposedly took into account the $4,000 rebate, my trade worth $5,000 and $1,000 in gm card earnings. I told him his math was flawed. I borrowed a pen and scribbled the numbers he gave me and came up with a figure around $12,000. Again the salesman excused himself and came back 5 minutes later. He said we'll sell you the car for 12,200 OTD, I wanted $11,500 OTD. He asked how I arrived at my figure when I had just agreed to buy it at 12,200. I explained that I hadn't agrred to that priceI just used his figures to show how his math was off. I tried a few more times to get my priceand finally went up $300 , their counter offer was 12,150. I left, after the salesman told me he had to feed his family and theri was no way he could if he sold me the car at that price. To make a long story short, I drove to the next closest dealer, told them what I wanted, they didn't have one in stock, but could get it and the irony is that they would get the same car I just test drove from the dealer I just left. There first offer was $11,950, a far cry from the $14,500 I had started the day at, and I'm sure I could have gotten lower. In the end I ended up with the Malibu ls and not the Maxx, because I liked the design better. The rear antenna on the Maxx kind of turned me off> I ended up getting the ls for $11,500 (22,195 - $1,480 - $5,600 tradein + tax -4,000 rebate - GM card $872. My monthly payments are under $250 for for years, again a far cry from the $285 for 5 years at the other dealer. The interst rate on the 5 year loan was actually 7.9%.
    sounds like you got a great deal and did the research to get it....savy buyers are always good to see....welcome to the forum and enjoy the Maxx!
  • robs_placerobs_place Member Posts: 24
    Thanks for sharing your buying experience.
    Our salesman also factored in the rebate in his initial offer. I inmediately pointed it out. Ugh!

Can't sales people learn to spot informed/educated buyers so that we can all cut the BS and save time? I've spent over 6hrs spread over 2 days to close the deal.
    You got a good deal, read my post #99 mine came to 11K I had the money from the totaled car in my pocket. Cost me $5500 the wife came up with the other $5500 after all its her car lol.
  • icedog97icedog97 Member Posts: 141
    We got our 2004 on Monday...last day of the 4K rebate I think. We bought the base LS at $22,305 sticker and then got 4K off for the Chevy rebate and another 2K from the dealer...so our price was about 16K. I had to shop at two different dealers and spend 3 plus hours at each...but I think the end result was worth it.

We traded in a 2002 Axiom (4WD) that has a KBB value of about 13.4K...so my numbers above were assuming they gave me the KBB value for my Axiom (which I believe they did).
    welcome to our small but growing Maxx forum here....congrats on your purchase
    Can't get my wife out of her Malibu, 1k in 9 days it's now slowing down a bit.
  • oldcorvettefanoldcorvettefan Member Posts: 17
    Is there anyone that has financed from GMAC without using the 0% rate?

My understanding is that you can select either the $3500 rebate, or 0% and $1500. However, it also appears that if you get standard financing through GMAC, you can get the $3500 rebate and the $1500 Bonus cash. In that case, does anyone have any idea what the rate would be?

It appears that Raybee (Post #125) got an interest rate of 2.1%, which is pretty good. That in combination with a $5k rebate would be an excellent bargain.

Thanks,
    Steven
  • islandpeteislandpete Member Posts: 94
    Just clocked 800 mi on my Maxx LT and was wondering if I am the only one having a chime go off and the info screen flashing "Check Gas Cap". This has happened twice so far. I check the cap and it seems OK. The manual states this condition will clear after a few trips, which it did the first time. Now it has started again and I just clear the message by hitting the "Enter Button" and just ignore it. I will mention this when I take the vehicle in for it's first service. So far I think the Maxx is a honey of a car and extremely satisfied with it. My out the door cost loaded was $19000 with rebates and GM Card ernings for this top of the line LT.
    did you make sure that the cap clicked several times...when you tightened it....I beleive you must insure that to insure a good vacuum seal...which might be setting off your light....I havent had the problem....anyone else???
  • e2helpere2helper Member Posts: 1,002
    I posted a response in Malibu Problems and Solutions Area
    Any large fuel system leak will set off the gas cap warning , it just means there is a leak and GM has found the most likely cause is a loose cap. The computer would not know if the gas cap was loose, just that you have a fuel system leak some where.
    We're set to take delivery of a new Maxx tomorrow.

Silver, LT w/1SB, DVD system & Six disk CD changer.

MSRP: $26,925
    Price: $24,837

We're trading in our 02 Venture LS, and they've allowed us Edmund's trade in value.

I've decided to finance through GMAC with a 7.99% rate, and will refinance later at my Credit Union. This allows me to get the $5000 rebate ($3500 + $1500 Bonus cash). The dealer says that I can refinance anytime, so I'll be checking the paperwork carefully before I sign to make sure thay aren't making a mistake (I don't intend to get stuck with this high rate for long).

We test drove it a couple of weeks ago, and my wife was looking at a black one. However, my new Blazer is black, and shows dirt overnight. Thus, she decided that Silver would be fine.

Steven
  • walletwallet Member Posts: 38
    I've seen posts that refer to total rebates of $5000 and $5500. Here in Boston, the rebates are showing up as $4500 total ($3500 from GM plus $1000 from GMAC).

Could someone please provide more info on that extra $500-1000 that is being referred to.

In Boston, for an LS with 1SA I've found:

MSRP 22,305
    Dlr. Disc. 2,806
    Rebate 3,500
    GMAC rebate 1,000

Net: 14,999
    Go to the Chevrolet.com website, and select Current Offers. Then select a different region, such as the Midwest. If there are different offers, you'll see them there.

In the Midwest, the offers in effect last week were $3500 rebate and $1500 in Bonus GMAC cash if you financed through GMAC. Oddly enough, there is absolutely no pre-payment penalty, so we intend to refinance at about half the GMAC rate (7.99% vs 4.05%) with our Credit Union.

Steven
  • mfletouvamfletouva Member Posts: 166
    Is that at Quirk?
  • ccc132435ccc132435 Member Posts: 31
     I live in Louisiana (Louisiana Driver's License), the Special offer and incentive for a Malibu says $3500.00 (with an * refering that the GMAC bonus is included) or the different APR plus the $500.00. Let says I do not want the the "GMAC prefered aprs" Am I going to get $3,500.00 rebate or $4,000.00?. Also, one of the dealersships I have been dealing with is in Gulfport,Mississipi in a county where Chevrolet/GMAC is offering a better rebate ($4000/$1000). If I bought the Malibu form this last dealership Will I get the higher rebate? or I will get one for Louisiana. Please let me know I am almost ready to close my deal.

http://www.chevrolet.com/specialoffers/south_east.jsp
    Yes, Quirk. $299 doc fee sours it a bit.

Prices are coming down in the area. I sent out powerbuy price requests to a bunch of dealers. Most came back around 17,5 for an LS with 1SA. When I emailed them back with Quirk's ad price, a few came back with offers in the 15,5-15,7 range (along with the obligatory Quirk bashings).

We've been looking since Friday, but we still have not seen a single Maxx on any road, highway, or parking lot from the NH to NJ.......
    Steven:

Thanks. I had already checked out the different geographic offers. What I was wondering about was Madmaxx's rebate of $5500, which I couldn't find anywhere, including WA state.

Was thinking it might be 4500 current (3500 GM + 1000 GMAC) + 1000 Olds loyalty??? Is that possible....?
    Hi, Wallet -

There is another way.

Many Chevy dealerships have special $500 coupons that GM provides in order to close deals.

I have been the recipient of two such coupons. When we purchased our '02 Venture, the dealership 'found' an extra $500 that was applied as a rebate at the time of purchase.

In July, I purchased an '04 Blazer, and the rebates totalled $5500, not the $5000 that was shown on the web site the day I bought the vehicle. When I asked the dealership about it, they explained that GM had a special program for making close deals work.

Informally, I have heard that dealerships are awarded these coupons based on their sales, with between five and ten awarded to the high volume stores.

I don't know if that is how Madmaxx got the $5500, but it seems reasonable.

Steven
    Thanks Steven! good info to know

So that's where that extra $500 rebate came from when we bought our Tahoe back in late June. We had reached an impasse and I was just walking out, when the sales rep ran to the front desk and found us a different Tahoe with more options for a few $ less. On the BoS, it listed a total of $5500 in rebates when $5k was the max at the time. My Dad's theory was that they had fudged the numbers/facts and had slipped me a recent grad or military rebate to make the sale.

When I had previously spoken with the sales manager, he had mentioned that they can sometimes call in to corporate and 'persuade' GM to throw an extra 'coupon' their way on a case-by-case/day-by-day basis (this is the 5th largest Chevy dealership in the US). I had been led to believe that it was partly dependent on the vehicle sitting on the lot for an extra long time.
  • madmaxxmadmaxx Member Posts: 44
    MadMaxx here--
    My $5,500 rebate is broken out as follows:
    $3,500 from GM.
    $1,500 from GMAC + 6.49% interest rate.
    $500 Seattle Seafair "Bonus Cash". I was told by several dealers the the bonus cash would end the 17th (yesterday).
    So--
    Maxx LS with floor mats.
    Window sticker $22,305
    Dealer discount -2,506
    Rebates -5,500
    Net Price $$14,299
    Hope this helps.
    I just finished my first road trip. Even with the Seattle I-5 traffic, I computed 32.8mpg!
    Very Happy with my new Maxx.
  • mfletouvamfletouva Member Posts: 166
    The other guys in the Boston area sure love to bash Quirk! My family bought two Oldsmobiles there and had good transactions, not to mention the lowest prices.

I was shopping in northern VA but since my family lives in MA I could buy there too. I did talk to Quirk, but I wanted a 1SB. They would give the me the same deal on a 1SB as a 1SA, as in the same dollar amount, but on a 1SB with a sticker $850 higher, that discount wasn't as good a deal.

Plus, I've heard funny things about financing with Quirk on their ad cars...but who knows.

So I went with my Baltimore dealer for a 1sb (you can look back at my deal if you are interested). I thought I did well.
    Since you brought up financing with Quirk:

Other MA Chevy dealers are telling me that to get the full GMAC rebate, I have to finance a minimum if $5K and can pay off the note at anytime without penalty (which is supposedly MA law, one finance mgr. told me).

Quirk on the other hand (multiple times via phone) INSISTS that I would have to finance $10K and hold on to the loan for 90 days lest GMAC charge me back for the full amount of the rebate. I have no idea how they think GMAC would accomplish this.

RE: Quirk bashing: I'm tempted (for laughs) to post an email I received from a rival dealer after I asked them to compete with Quirk's price on a Maxx. Their reply accuses Quirk of everything, but stops just short of blaming them for starting WWII......
  • limingliming Member Posts: 22
    I just order Malibu Maxx LS with 1SB and Mudguard for $15750 in Chicago area.

I have GM supplier discount. The rebate break down as:

3500 cash
    1500 GMAC
    500 regional rebate.

I think the interest rate from GMAC is higher in order to get 1500.

Can any one tell me if I pay back the GMAC loan with cash or low interest rate loan from my credit union? Is there any penalty charge or fee if I do so? When can I Pay the loan back? What is the best interest rate and minimum loan from GMAC to get 1500 rebate? Is there application fee?

Happy shopping every one
    Hello, Liming -

According to the GMAC loan paperwork we have, there is no prepayment penalty, and the loan can be paid off at any time.

We did the same thing you are considering. Financed through GMAC in order to pick up the extra $1500.

I called GMAC, and they told me that the dealer sets the interest rate. This information has been borne out. One of the dealers I obtained a price from said that the best they could do for a rate was 8.99%. The dealer I bought from offered me 7.99%.

The dealership I bought from also told me that I can pay off the loan anytime I want. They claimed that if I pay off the loan within 90 days, GMAC will go back to them and charge them a couple hundred dollars. However, when I told the finance manager that we intend to refinance as soon as we get the account information from GMAC, she responded that she thought it was a good idea.

When I was talking to the GMAC representative, I asked her why GMAC would be willing to write a high interest loan and give away $1500. She said she didn't understand it either, but I was completely free to refinance at any time.

Seems odd, but I guess that's why I'm not a CEO.

Good Luck and welcome to the board.

Steven
    That interest rate is high. How the dealer figure the rate?
    I will close the deal on Saturday afternoon. Called the sales to fax me the contract today. It seemed that he hesitated to fax me the complete contract/agreement. Is the dealer playing game? I will find out soon, and let everyone know.
    After reading the GMAC finance contract from the dealer. The prepayment will be figured by the Rule of 78. This may affect what you will get back from GMAC.

It's compliacted

http://www.obre.state.il.us/CONSUMER/Tips/RULEOF78.HTM
    After reading the GMAC finance contract from the dealer. The prepayment will be figured by the Rule of 78. This may affect what you will get back from GMAC.

It's compliacted

http://www.obre.state.il.us/CONSUMER/Tips/RULEOF78.HTM
    Since you used the phrase: "This may affect what you will get back from GMAC".........

Rule of 78 has nothing to do with the rebate you would receive from GMAC at time of purchase. It is a glorified way of saying you pay a penalty for early pay-off of your loan. It is outlawed in ~15 states and should be avoided if at all possible, as it will end up costing you beaucoup bucks.

The rebate the link refers to is a "rebate of interest" and has to do with any interest you may have due you based on exactly when in the loan you actually pay it all off. It has nothing to do with the $500-1500 rebate that is tied to GMAC financing.

Here's another explanation of the Rule of 78. PLEASE read it before you sign today, just so you know. First link crunches the numbers, second link gives history and why it is so evil:

http://www.tiac.net/~mabaker/rule_of_78.html

http://www.bankrate.com/brm/news/auto/20010827a.asp
    In Chicago, I purchased the car today:

Malibu Maxx
      1SB option
      Mud guard.

MSRP: $23150
    Saving: $2454.25
    Cash rebate: -$3500
    GMAC rebate: -$1500
    Regional rebate: -$500

Price:$15196
    Plus tax, doc fee, license and title

Paid $17015

The GMAC loan can be prepaid without penalty.
    It's killing me to see all these $5500 rebates. Best I can do in the northeast is still only $4500 in rebates and a little over $3K in dealer discounts.....