Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet Malibu Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• reese196reese196 Member Posts: 12
    I took delivery of my silver Maxx LS on 10-18-04. The vehicle was a base LS with no add ons. It too was a dealer demo driven by one of the dealership's sales managers since May 04. It had 7100 miles and had the 7500 mile service completed. I was very happy with the service and sales at Mirak Chevrolet. I feel like I got a great deal on this car and they are committed to my satisfaction.
    Paid $17495.00 plus tax and title.
    Was originally offered a 6 yr 60,000 mile warranty for $895.00 (warranty started at delivery miles so good to 67,100 miles on the odometer) but asked about more miles and instead opted for a 5 yr 75,000 mile warranty for the same price. So my warranty now covers the vehicle until 10-18-2009 or the odometer reads 82,1000. The only thing I wish mine had was the xm but I am looking into an aftermarket system. I just purchased an aftermarket gps system and it works fabulous. It's the Garmin Quest, it is very small and has enough memory for detailed street level maps of the NE and highway maps of all of N. America. Also talks to you "Turn left in 300ft" Only $599.00
  • joe3891joe3891 Member Posts: 759
    Read page 12 of your warranty booklet,demo milage not covered and even new non-demo is only covered to 1000 miles. Where did you get your information ?
  • yurakmyurakm Member Posts: 1,345
    Do not know about MI, but in CT the 6% sale tax is charged from the full price, including rebates and GM Card points. CT used to tax even trade-ins, but dropped it several years ago. Does not tax what you negotiate with dealer.

For example, with MSRP $27,000, dealer price $25,500, and trade-in $2500, the full amount of $23,000 is taxed at 6%, with total tax $1380. Your $3500 GM rebate will be considered to be a part of downpayment. The same with $1000 GM card money, and the current $1000 GM card bonus. I am not sure about GMAC bonus, but most probably it taxed too.

In other words, of the total $1380 sale tax, $390 ( 6% of $3500+1000+1000+1000) is tax on rebates.

On the other hand, coupons are not taxed.
  • hermaxxhermaxx Member Posts: 6
    Just purchased our '05 this week. It's an LT w/1SB and rear DVD. (no On-Star, no 6 disc CD). I'm not much of a haggler, but the salesman is a good friend of mine.....he's still a salesman nonetheless, so I'm not sure if I received the best deal-or if I'm his latest victim...I even told him as much!!! I won't let him forget how he ripped my head off on this deal no matter how well he thinks he treated me....I had no trade either.

MSRP was $27,345.00
    GM Rebate 2,000.00

I paid $23,500 plus tax/title/plates fees. He had to dealer trade to find the Medium Gray color w/the rear DVD so he said that he couldn't "get into the holdback" for me. This, after reading other posts, appears to be legitimate.
  • bluedevilsbluedevils Member Posts: 2,554
    Sounds like he gave you a pretty decent deal, especially since you are earlier in the model year. Invoice on that vehicle is about $2,000 below MSRP (I didn't look up the exact figures), so he seems to have sold you the car for just about dealer invoice minus the rebates. You can't really expect to do much better than that.
  • hermaxxhermaxx Member Posts: 6
    Thanks bluedevils,

I'm one of those that don't haggle much and was simply relying on the advice from a friend/salesman. Nice to know he really was treating me okay on the deal. I walked into his dealership with my checkbook and drove out 15 min. later with the car...no hassle/no haggle....I guess there is something to be said for that too. I keep my vehicles for 8-10 years so I'm looking forward to the experience.
  • mb-s65mb-s65 Member Posts: 29
    ?
  • e2helpere2helper Member Posts: 1,002
    GMS refers to GM Supplier Discount

https://www.gmsupplierdiscount.com/pages/sd_login.jsp

There is a FAQ Link off this page
    Actually, I thought GMS referred to the GM employee pricing, not the supplier discount pricing. Have I been using the wrong term?

On our 2004 Maxx, we got the GM employee pricing - a grandparent was a GM employee so that is how we qualified for the employee pricing.

On our Maxx, which had a $27,250 MSRP, the employee price was about $1,100 less than the supplier discount price.
  • e2helpere2helper Member Posts: 1,002
    Whoops I am wrong :)

Yes bluedevils is correct

For some reason the term "(GMS)" is always following any text talking about the "predetermined Vehicle Purchase Program price" in documentation for that program.

I thought it was an acronym and was trying to make some sense out of it.

One of the forms I saw talked abou GMS or GMU price so I know it must mean something and am still looking :LOL
  • bhw77bhw77 Member Posts: 101
    Hi All,

04 Malibu MAXX LS 1SB option Silver/gray
    Sticker price: $23150
    Sale Price: $14999
    GM Card Points: $3100
    Total: $11900 + TTL + dealer fee
    Out of the door : $12895
    Selling Dealer: QUIRK in Braintree, MA
    Sales person: Roger Landry
    Vehicles have been heavily advertise in "Boston Globe" and "Boston Herald" and they still have some inventory left.
    Purchasing process was completely painless. Sales person was great.
    I guess I did good.....
    You got more than $8,000 off MSRP? How much bargaining was involved? Did you start from GMS pricing, or was this an 'open-to-the-public' deal? I know it is model year clearance time and nearing calendar year-end, but that seems like more of a discount than I would have expected. How much are the rebates in your area?

Was any trade-in involved, or just a straight Maxx purchase?
    No bargaining at all. Vehicle has been advertised in local papers: "Boston Globe" and "Boston Herald". I just called - dealership confirmed price and vehicle availability and that is pretty much it.
    They still have it
    http://www.quirkcars.com/specials/chevy/ad.htm
    You still have to finance at least $10K via GM finance.
    I am planning to pay it off within 3 month
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    Car_man "Rebates, Incentives, APRs - Questions & Comments" Dec 7, 2004 1:08pm

from car_man:
    No details of this promotion, called the "Red Tag Sales Event" are available yet, but it would definitely be in the best interest of anyone who is considering purchasing a GM product to hold off on buying anything for a few days (it is rumored that the new program will begin on the 10th).

Check our Rebates, Incentives & APRs discussion for updates!

kirstie_h
    Roving Host & Future Vehicles Host

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• redrisingredrising Member Posts: 5
    Purchased a new Maxx LT on 12/10. Had the $3500.00 rebate, addl $1500.00 off w/GMAC finance, GM card upped allowance from $875.00 to an even $2000.00, dealer discounted $1700.00, trade of $12000.00. Mistake was $199.00 security etch add-on and $159.00 dealer handling fee. UGH!
    So you were able to apply the full $2,000 GM 'earnings' on this vehicle? I haven't checked, but I thought the limit for Maxx was somewhere less than that. I was wondering if the full $2,000 could be used since GM was boosting it to that amount as a special bonus. Our GM Card earnings are < $500 and we received a letter recently, informing us that GM had bumped this amount up to $2,000 for a certain time period.
  • adamjeepsadamjeeps Member Posts: 56
    Local dealer has a 2004 Maxx LT with Onstar has the only option. Sticker is $25,420. Red tag price is between $18,500 and $18,900 (can't remember exactly). Does this sound about right. I have $2,000 in bonus GM earnings I can use. Anything else that I could do to get a lower price?

Thanks in advance.
    According to the sales agreement, we received the full $2000. The GM card earnings were increased to this amount. I felt it was time to use the combination together, and really had no problem. You have even a better deal with less earnings than my original card, if they are bumping you up to 2K. Cheers!
    We wanted one without the onstar, dvd, self adjusting mirror, I believe it was the LS1 package. It was hard to find, as most have the upgrades. Sounds like a good price to me for a car which is loaded.
  • maxxlt2004maxxlt2004 Member Posts: 71
    I bought my MAXX back in May 2004 and they e-mailed me something saying that I am eligible for the GM Supplier program. If I traded in my Malibu for an Equinox would they honor the rebates plus give me more of a discount also? Or would just give you the Supplier program price and that would be it?

Discounts are about $2,000 for an Equinox
  • 2damaxx2damaxx Member Posts: 12
    Rebates are in addition to whatever supplier price you're eligible for. In my case, I got GM supplier pricing, plus $1,000 GMAC financing discount, plus 0% for 72 months. That's what worked out best for my situation. Instead of the 0%, I could have elected an additional $4,000 off the purchase price.

I should note that some have been able to do BETTER than GM supplier. I did not think that was possible, but some here claim to have purchased for $500-$1000 below employee and supplier pricing.
    I wrote a short note to the dealer about the $199 etch fee which was added. The business manager called me today to tell me they were crediting the fee. The dealer was Rothrock Chevy, Philadelphia. I really could not ask for more-they deserve an A+ on this one, and the Maxx is a dream.
  • cranberriescranberries Member Posts: 1
    Hi bhw77,

Did you happen to see any 04 malibu (not maxx) there in that dealership? That was an great deal for maxx, do they offer same great deal on sedan?

I would love to drive there for a great deal!(live in CT)
  • sciguy85sciguy85 Member Posts: 45
    Bill Kay in Lisle IL, Purchased 8/04. Had the "supplier" friend price. Sat down and negotiated and I was able to get a better deal without. A loaded LT only missing OnStar and DVD, No card rebates or trade. 26,500 list. 19,800 out the door, tax title etc. I even knew the business manager a little bit and as he was new there and I gave him the "referral" he got me 3.49%. After reading the posts, I think it was fair for what I had going in.
  • tim10tim10 Member Posts: 15
    Malibu base sticker 20,365 after cruise/remote keyless/remote start/floor mats.

Price started with GM Friends & Family discount (father works for a GM supplier), however the dealer said he would have given me the same price regardless..

Starting price 18,960 minus 1500 gmac, minus 2000 gm rebate, minus 2x500 GM Value certificates, minus $500 gm dealership discount that was mailed to a prior customer to share with a friend by year end, minus $2000 in earnings from the GM Gold card

Total financed 11,960 + tax & title. Nailed me with 8.9% but I'll pay off when the first bill comes. The dealership in PA also owes me about $1000 now because they damaged by wife's vehicle when a sales person backed into it when it was locked up last night for 'collateral' on the 24 hour test drive I did.
    cranberries:

Sorry my post get deleted, I guess I cannot post

dealership name/links. I have checked their inventory on-line and there is no 04' left.

Send me e-mail and I will send you links to their website. I have good experience with them.

I also tried to work with GMBuypower but their prices were way to high
  • lee_wlee_w Member Posts: 239
    You are able to post dealership name and location. I am sure other posters will be savvy enough to find a website if they are interested( google, infospace, mapquest.......)
  • cliffkhcliffkh Member Posts: 2
    Malibu gurus - I am basically offered GMS price + rebates on 2004 Maxx LT with 1SB and XM. This is in Olathe, KS.

MSRP $25,955

discounted price: $23,098

Rebates: 3500 GM + 2000 GMAC + 1000 GMS bonus = 6500

Subtotal: $16598 (not including tax, title, license)

Dealer has offered this GM warranty:

6 year 100,000 $200 deductible - $1995

From reading through this forum some my impression is this is fair deal on the car and a high price for the extended warranty. What is a good deal on the warranty?

I had to hunt down the car myself to find an 04 Maxx LT without DVD, OnStar, and 6-CD. There are still some 04 out there - I found 44 total within 300 mile distance.

Looking forward to joining the club next week if everything works out.
    Sounds pretty good to me. At the present time you won't be able to do much better. Plus, you are finding a 2004 model that's equipped basically the way you want it - and that's not always so easy to do this late in the model year.

Those rebates look awfully juicy. Wish I had timed things a bit better on our 2004 Maxx LT purchase (pulled the trigger in October).

We paid $1599 for a 5 yr / 90k $0 deductible warranty and I think that was $200-400 above the best price you can find on such a warranty. Your warranty quote is probably at least $500 high, maybe even $800 high. Personally, I'd buy the zero deductible and on the 6 yr / 100k, shoot for about $1500.

On the car, you are getting about $9500 off MSRP which is a LOT. And thinking about what you will be getting for $16,598 + TTL, you are getting a lot of car for not a lot of money.

I'd work the dealer down a little on the warranty and go for it.
  • markf57markf57 Member Posts: 38
    I've been shopping for a Pontiac Vibe, but the incentives were too good to pass up on the 04 Maxx. Here is what I got.

MSRP - $23,150 (Maxx with 1SB)

GM in the Driveway price - $21148

Less $3500 GM rebate

Less $1500 GMAC rebate

Less $3661.59 GM card dollars

Total $12487 + tax
    Subtract 3 from the years, it includes the 3yr-36K, most people don't know that.
    Unbelievable deal. I get jealous when I hear people getting this type of deal on a new vehicle.

Is the $1500 GMAC rebate being advertised somewhere? I haven't seen mention of it.
  • silver_bulletsilver_bullet Member Posts: 1,339
    Helped my step-mother purchase an '05 Maxx LS today. Car has no options, but came with floormats and a rear spoiler (but no wiper), neither of which were listed on the sticker. With all rebates, she paid $16035.00 + TTL. Very easy buying experience, and she is very happy with her silver Maxx. It is a nice car for what she paid, but not at MSRP. Amazing discounts right now!
  • markf57markf57 Member Posts: 38
    Bluedevils:

I found it on gmbuypower.com under the current offers section. I'm in the western region. I checked the other regions and all regions are offer a GMAC rebate on the 04 MAXX. Most are $1500, but the southcentral region is $2000 and the southeast is only $1000.
  • cliffkhcliffkh Member Posts: 2
    I received this quote from Fichtner Chevrolet in Montana. They do a lot of long distance warranty sales. The $100 ded was about $1500.

72/100K $200 ded $1305
  • maxx4memaxx4me Member Posts: 1,340
    FYI:

Capper's $200 deduct for the 6yr/100k is $1,255

Black's cost is $1,285
  • madmaxxmadmaxx Member Posts: 44
    I like my '04 Maxx LS so much I traded it for another, identical '04 Maxx LS(same color even).

I racked up 14,950 miles on my Maxx since purchasing it early last August.

GM Card sent me $2,000 bonus cash/credit for use against '04 GM ($2,500 for select '05's).

So.. I took my '04 Maxx to the dealer and told them I would trade my Maxx for it's twin, new brother, plus my $2,000 credit--straight across, no cash.

They quickly accepted! (Wished I'd asked for an 04 LT or 05 LS.)

Bottom line: I drove a new car for 5 months and 15,000 miles for nothing other than gas and oil changes.

The bonus credit expires tomorrow, so I'm out nothing.

The only downside, is my new Maxx is a March build date, so I'll have to have the service department do all the TSBs.

I pick up my newest Maxx tomorrow.

Absolutley Amazing!
  • tim10tim10 Member Posts: 15
    That's incredible. Good job, most of us would have never even thought to ask them to trade!!! Maybe in 6 months when GM card does another $2000 bump-up, you'll trade for an '05!

I'm surprised but glad for you that they let you do this with only a $2000 'depreciation' hit. Goes to show they REALLY like the end of the year sales. I think any sales up till Jan 3rd count towards the dealerships 2004 sales.
    That is amazing. What were the particulars of the first deal and of the 2nd deal? Did your first deal include a trade, or was it a straight buy of the Maxx? How great a deal did you get?

To take only a $2,000 depreciation hit on the first Maxx, you must have gotten a really good price on it.
  • ownerof4chevysownerof4chevys Member Posts: 35
    Bought a Maxx LS around Labor Day '04. Window price $23,150....with $3,300 discount, under $750 GM card redemption, and rebates.....paid $13,000.

Loved the Maxx so much, bought an LT with sunroof on Dec 18, '04......window price $25,450 ....with $1,000 GM card redemption, discount, and rebates.......paid $15,000
  • chrpaichrpai Member Posts: 32
    '05 Malibu LS 1SA w/floormats and side/curtain airbags.

MSRP $22,545

Edmunds TMV $21,186

GMS Employee $20,087

$1,500 loyalty rebate

$2,000 GM rebate

Dealer waived the usual dealer/doc prep fees and gave me $4,900 for my '01 Malibu LS 1SB. Kelly apraisal was for $4995.

F&I guy disclosed invoice price on GMPP plan. Sold me a 60/100 $0K major guard for $1595 which is $150 over invoice and $50 under Blacks. List was $21(xx).

F&I guy also was able to beat my credit union by almost a full point with a 60mos 4.15% loan.

Very good experience up in Conroe, TX. First time ever that I didn't try rushing past the F&I guy as quick as I could, and I was really glad I sat down with him to see what he could do for me.
    actually, Blacks is $1600 for the 60 month/100k ('04 models), and Capper is $1570. As for $150 over "invoice", one member recently posted that they got the 72/100 for $1211, so I'm not sure how your F&I guy came to know what "invoice" was. Either they got a real sweetheart deal, or your F&I guy was pulling your leg. Nonetheless, you did real well. My F&I guy did not even care to sell me one, and would not come down from the list price.
    $1595 is a lot for a 2 yr warranty, the 3-36 is included.
  • paopao Member Posts: 1,867
    most buy for the mileage vice the time...Im halfway thru my 36K on my 04 and it isnt a year old yet!!!
    Check again. Blacks website quotes a GMPP Major Guard 60/100K $0deduct at $1645. When I talked the F&I I told him that on one hand I knew was List and Blacks cost but that I didn't know what Invoice was. He thought Blacks prices might be old because of the Jan1 price hike. He pulled out his charts and compared notes and agreed Black was correct. I asked him to show me invoice and he did. He then agreed to beet Blacks by $50. Whoever said its $1211 is either comparing a different plan ( maybe $200 deduct? ) or has old pricing data.

If I'm proved wrong I'll gladly shop for a new plan and cancel the one I have now. :)

This website rules!
    That's exactly right. I'm not buying 2 years, I'm buying 64K miles. I put 20K a year on my car, and if this '04 is anything like my '01, the plan will be paying for itself.
    oooh, I didn't know about the Jan 1 price hike. When I went to various GM dealers last year, they told me that the rates had just gone up for '04, and did not think that there would be another hike. With an improving economy, I'm once again considering taking the money and being my own investment/warranty broker.
    Its worth it for you high mile people,for the average dude like me 20k a year between 2 vehicles, not a good deal.
  • paopao Member Posts: 1,867
    Jim,

I blew thru my 12K in a hurry..so just put the cost of the GMPP back into mutual funds....so will have it that way.....my last one was good thru 80K..and the first major repair needed was the electronic fuel pump at 84K..so my warranty was never used!! and two months later Im shelling out $400 in repairs.....soooooooo..will take my chances on the Maxx....16k on it now and no problems at all..working and riding good cheers all
  • hickorydhickoryd Member Posts: 57
    In the past, I have had extended warranty coverage through my insurance carrier, Geico. It is good for 100,000 miles. The deductable is high, but the cost is very low. They give you 15 months after purchase date of a new vehicle to enroll so I will probably go that route again within the next couple of months. Don't know if this compares well with the policies y'all have been talking about...