Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet Malibu Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• maxx4memaxx4me Member Posts: 1,340
    Paul, you already know I couldn't agree with you more. I'm just snake bitten after the 626. $3500 in repairs on a $650 warranty.....what a deal!! Paying $1500 for a warranty is a lot; but knowing that my tranny will be torn apart here soon, and the electronic steering issue, I'm still leaning towards getting it. My service manager also thinks this is the most over engineered car in history. While his comment validates my long held opinion that the Maxx is simply the best value on the market today, it also comes with a huge potential downside should things go wrong.
  • paopao Member Posts: 1,867
    we need to do lunch again sometimes...would like for you to ride in the LT again...with 16K on it now....let you drive it compare to yours ...steering...trans etc.....Im so weary of tearing into a trans....have done that twice...and have had nothing but trouble with them once that happened...but understand on your part as well..hope all is well....cheers
  • chrpaichrpai Member Posts: 32
    I looked into the GEICO MBI option, but they couldn't give me any kind of prediction on how much the premium would increase over the years, let alone a rate lockin. If I can prepay an extended warry, why can't they lock in a premium? Between that and the $250 deduct versus the $0 deduct of the GMPP I decided to get the GMPP. But I can always cancel it if someone can convince me that I'm wrong.
  • kurtamaxxguykurtamaxxguy Member Posts: 677
    "Overengineered"? would be good to hear why a service manager feels a car is "overengineered".
  • bluedevilsbluedevils Member Posts: 2,554
    I've never heard of this. Geico is not MY car insurance company, but I've never heard this mentioned on their TV or radio ads.

What kind of rates were you quoted for coverage, and what were the specifics of the coverage?
  • hickorydhickoryd Member Posts: 57
    The info minus the cost is at

www.geico.com/auto/safety/mbi.htm
    I know of that web page and it doesn't answer my question. I was quoted $39.00/6months. However when I asked about rate increases they only said

1) We can't lock you in

2) Your rates may increase as your car ages.

They absolutely would not commit to future pricing therefore I could not give it a fair comparison to the cost of the GMPP plan.
    Perhaps they would quote a CURRENT price on an OLDER car. If they would do this, you could try out a couple different makes/models across several model years to get a feel for how much more the coverage costs for each model year of age.
    He thought that it was one of the most complex and needlessly complicated cars he has seen to date (speaking of computer controlled everything, not to mention the electric steering, and a self defeating wing on the back forcing GM to put a wiper back there)

Paul: you know I'm good for lunch anytime. I've also noticed some jiggle in the steering in parking lots at very low speed. Don't know if this is normal, or a sign of things to come. I have the "new and improved" version of the electric steering keep in mind.
    I havent noticed any problems at all with my steering..remember my build date is 2/17/04 so I was in the middle of the column transition...you noticed things the first time you sat in mine that I would never notice or "feel" and I thought I was particular about my car...regardless...still very happy with my 04 LT...looking for a set of wheels and rims now to be honest...torn between 16 or 17 inch.....
  • kurtamaxxguykurtamaxxguy Member Posts: 677
    wrt your power steering, if you feel a faint pulsing or wiggling of the steering wheel from left to right, or the steering "jerks" slightly as you turn left or right, you may have the steering columm contamination several forum posters (including myself) have had.

As for the spoiler/wiper issue with the Maxx, the word I got was the marketing guys wanted a spoiler really, really bad. Engineering had to come up with the wiper system to undo the problems the spoiler caused. Then again, even without the spoiler, there are times a wiper on the rear window would be nice (not on my 2004).
  • adamjeepsadamjeeps Member Posts: 56
    Anybody know the incentives/discounts on leftover 04 Maxx? GMbuypower only has 05 up on website. Thanks.
    What region are you in? For us ( SC ) I don't see any thing on the 04' other then you may qualify for the $1500 owner loyalty if you previously had a GM car.
  • billymaxxbillymaxx Member Posts: 12
    I just purchased a '05 Maxx here in norther NJ on Feb. 12, 2005. Here are the particulars:

MSRP - $25,960
    (including destination charge ($625) and the only option, the sunroof ($725))

Negotiated price: $24,300 plus TTL & tax

GM Rebates: $3000

GM Card Points: $2326
    (I was surprised to see that they took all of my GM Points considering the website mentions a $1000 limit)

I see that people were able to get great/better deals/rebates last year on the 2004's. I suspect that I could have gotten a better deal on the '05 if I had waited a couple of months until the '06's were coming out but I was afraid I might not be able to find the colors/options I wanted. I am amazed at the amount of rebates others have gotten. I guess if you buy at the right time, you can save thousands!

I was fortunate to have found the car with the only option I wanted, the sunroof. Most I had found had the entire 1SB package which would have been a waste of money for me.

I will go to the Malibu owners discussion to share my feelings on the vehicle but so far, I love it!!

-Bill
  • dampierdampier Member Posts: 15
    Still in the process of negotiating... currently I have them at invoice + $200, but the car I want with XM is commonly found with heated front seats and/or sunroof and I want neither. They found one without the sunroof, but the front seat heater is still there. Also going to shop the current quote around because it also includes junk fees (I suspect anyway):

LAM DEALER CONTRIBUTION - ADV $236.55
    LAM GROUP CONTRIBUTION - EXP $118.28

These sound suspiciously like advertising fees. Dealer holdback is $638 on the Malibu LS. I want to at least get rid of the junk fees, and possibly knock them down on the $200, particularly with the heated seats I don't want.

Anyone know what the average minimum a dealer will accept including their holdback? Also, extended warranty quote from API is $2006 (- a $200 coupon which takes it to $1806) for 7yr/100,000 PremierCare coverage. This seems at least $200 overpriced(?) Any comments on what I should be able to get them down to?
  • jhs70jhs70 Member Posts: 213
    Dude, I can't speak to a lot of your points but I will say this: paying inv + $200 is a NO DEAL for you. If you can help it, do not pull the plug on that deal. Look at Carmax.com and find your vehicle. Carmax has your car at $5000 below invoice. That's $5000 BELOW invoice. A couple of dealers in this area (DC) are consistently $3000+ below INVOICE, and that's on the LS Sedan or the LS Maxx. You need to look around a bunch because if I can get those prices here without even going into a showroom, I just can't imagine how inv + $200 would be a good deal at any Chevy dealership in the USA! GOod luck and keep us posted. (Also, you need to get Edmunds'TMV on the new car page and use that in your negotiations. I'd just print it out and hand it to the dealer if they're insisting that inv+200 is a good deal.)
    Keep in mind that price does not include the $3500 in rebates. I would be very surprised to see it $5000 below dealer invoice as that would take it well under the wholesale cost of the vehicle. Be sure you aren't mistaking my figure for MSRP. Three dealers who replied to one of those car-sales-by-internet sites all came in around $500 of each other around that range. I'll look at Carmax.
    I ultimately managed dealer invoice minus $179 and waiving of all junk fees and an additional $300 off or so on their repeat customer benefit, as well as $3500 in rebates which is the max a non service member can get. If you factor in rebates, it's around 3900 below invoice (not including the nearly $550 in ad fees they initially were trying to charge - I don't know if you include that in earlier figures or not.)

Total price out the door, including GM Card dollars is just over $15700 for the LS w/1sb, XM, and spoiler. It put me a few hundred lower than the TMV.
  • glavinsologlavinsolo Member Posts: 12
    I was reading posts that were done in December during all the huge incentives. I am looking to buy a 2005 Maxx at end of year this year. I see many people posting about Chevy GM card raising their allowance to 2000 points.

Now I have over $500 in GM cash right now did that mean that GM took my $500 in GM cash and raised it to 2000 rounding up? or did they take the limit that I could apply to the Malibu 2000 from 1000 or whatever limit was set at the time. Thanks for the clarification.
  • hgr3inokhgr3inok Member Posts: 28
    Two different dealers in the Oklahoma City area (Marc Heitz and Hudiburg) are advertising a new 2005 Maxx LS with spoiler, 6-CD, side airbags, 6-way power seat & remote start for $15,995 after rebates (MSRP $23,775).

Regards,

-HANK RYAN-
    Norman, Oklahoma
  • ddeliseddelise Member Posts: 353
    All -

New Maxx owner here - so far really like the car. I am coming from a 2001 Volvo S60 2.4t, and I think this car is just about as nice while being more practical with more creature features.

Galaxy Silver exterior.

Anyway, here was the deal
    $26,260 MSRP

$24,420 Sell Price (GM Supplier price) minus
    $500 GM bonus cash minus
    $500 GM lease cash minus
    $500 GM Auto Show in Motion Incentive minus
    $1000 GM March Madness cash minus
    $3450 GM Card rebate money plus
    $499 dealer fee plus
    $595 GM Aquisition fee plus
    $850 start-up fees (1st month payment, taxes on rebates, tag, title, state fees).

56% residual and 3.5% interest rate for 36 month, 12k miles/yr. lease.

So, no money out of pocket at all (just drove the car home) - payment with tax is $223/mo.

And, as part of the deal, the dealership is cutting me a check for $499 to refund the dealer fee.

Great deal, great car!
  • drejdrej Member Posts: 119
    HI, Has anyone had experience on negotiating more of from the allready stated GMS stated price? Dealers are willing to simply state the GMS price for us employees and relatives and stop there. Yes, there still is the few Rebates but I'm Still looking at at Maxx w/leather (no DVD, no MoonRoof or side curtains) for $22.5K out the door, and thats It! no haggling? And who wants XM or OnStar?.. I dont'..... Thanks in advance for your input.
    D~
    pao/all: I just received an 8 page GMPP coverage agreement, courtesy of our good friends up in Pennsylvania. All of my vitals are entered onto page 2, and shows the expiration date exactly as advertised (date of GMPP purchase + miles added on from your odometer at the time of purchase). The pamphlet also succinctly outlines what is/is not covered, and gives a phone number to call should there be any information incorrectly entered from what I provided them. The whole process took less than 2 weeks. Now, as the brochure says on the front: I have "peace of mind for the long run."
    Maxx4me:

I'm curious why you decided to go with PA instead of TX.
    10 phone calls and an odometer that read 11,944 miles, that's why. All they needed to do was fax one simple piece of paper to me. It took them over 2 months to do it. :mad: They faxed it to me 2 days after I purchased from Black's. TOO LATE! Blacks is only $50 more right now. I'd say the service and desire to earn my business was worth every penny.
    We were looking at 2004 Maxx LTs in fall 2004. Had several dealers in southeast Michigan willing to sell for $500 below GMS, then subtract all rebates/incentives.

We ended up buying a demo with 5,000 miles because the dealer was willing to go $1,500 below GMS.

All of my 'negotiating' was done via email.
    hey great...Im about to order my plan as well...one question..how did they verify your mileage..or did they...I assume if you have had any serivces done at a GM dealer that can access to show the last mileage recorded.....but just curious
    you are right on.....they can't tell your mileage. I took a date stamped digital photo of my odometer on the day of my order, just in case they got suspicious that I was only 55 miles away from 12k. The guys in TX told me that they did not care if I went over the 12k mark, just as long as I did not put a number higher than 12k on my form. I would never do that, so I went with Blacks. Bottom line, the only way GM would know if you were lying, was if you went in for service and it had a higher number documented on the service request form.
    all very interesting..but I just had some warranty work done at 21K..so all they would have to do is look up the service history.....and would see the mileage on that date...but good move on your part....im going with the 48/60 program...so that will cover me for the anticipate lenght of time I care to have the car covered..that give me almost 6 years and 85K..so a happy camper here..soon to be another Blacks GMPP owner!
  • joe3891joe3891 Member Posts: 759
    Correct me if I am wrong, the time will add on the miles will not, still 60K. The Black site explains it with their samples. :(
    both the time and miles will be added as i see in this one example from their site.

Example: On January 1, 2005 you purchase a GMPP on your 35 month old Corvette (Original GM In-Service date was December 1, 2002) with 35,000 miles on the odometer. You Purchase a 36 month / 36,000 miles GMPP Major Guard. Your GMPP Plan would expire on January 1, 2008 or 71,000 miles, whichever comes first.

this shows adding both the time and the miles and another cup and paste from their site...I agree..I find this too good...but maxx4me has received his GMPP paperwork and it covered from the date of purchase of the plan and added the mileage to his current reading!!

WHEN WILL THE PLAN EXPIRE?

The plan length and miles starts at the date of the GMPP purchase and at the odometer reading at time of purchase

here is the site i cut and pasted from :

http://www.gmoutlet.com/gmppfaq.html#expire
    it is miles and time joe. I just got my certificate from GM. Everything was as stated in Black's website.
    Just an old man’s memory failing, I knew there was something about it I didn’t like. If I got the plan now I would lose the 2 yrs on my 36-36. The Corvette factory warranty purchased 4-1-04 would go to 4-1-07 and the 72 turns into 48, expires 1-1-2011. 11-7= 4. The risk GM takes is priced to match. :blush:
    Joe..im confused..here..ok I admit it..do you already have a GMPP warranty that you purchased on 4-1-04 or are you assuming your normal factory warranty of 36-36 here....that rational is fine if you if your mileage and ownership time....coincide..meaning you drive 12k a year....I have 22 k on my car already at 16 months...at this rate...I reach my mileage limitation before I make my ownership of 36 months.......Im planning on getting the 48 month 72k program...so adding it to my projected date....6-1-05 purchase date and 24 k on my car..Im covered to 6-1-09 and 96K..my original in service date was 3/15/04 (3/15/07 with factory warranty which I anticipate will expire early 06 with mileage)..I'll give GM the year....for the mileage I drive....as I always break the mileage limitation around the two year mark anyway..
    Yes I drive 12K a year, I own a car and truck, so I can control the mileage on the car by using the truck. The gas mileage on the truck is not as good as the Malibu but close enough, 4 cyl compact. I have never owned an extended warranty and I don’t think I will with this one. This is my third new vehicle since 99, one got totaled. :)
    understand..metro area here in DC affords the driving.plus miles back and forth to SC during college football add up...Ive had extended warranties on my last two cars...Ford Explorer and Mustang, all bought new...and they have paid for themselves in years 4 and 5 of ownership....since I usually have high mileage on them by that time...one bought a transmission and a radiator..and the other bought two AC compressors and master cylinder more than paying for themselves....hey its like insurance....you may or may not need it.......but when you do its nice to have it...you are gambling it will break and the manufacturer is gambling it will not.......cheers!!!
    I get rid of my vehicles at about 120K, been doing this forever, no serious problems, I am going to gamble again. :)
    depends on the pain threshold cash wise for a "serious" problem...the mustang was 5k outside of the extended warranty at 85k when it lost the fuel pump...$450 later...I had a new on installed....it was traded on the Maxx with 96K on the odometer........good luck!!
  • southcarolinasouthcarolina Member Posts: 19
    I've never bought an extended warrenty, either. But I did on the 04 Maxx. Things are just so much more complicated on these new cars. More can go wrong. Gone are the days like the time I tore the engine down on my wife's Pinto and, in a hurry to get it back together before sundown, I ended up 3 pieces left over. It cranked and ran better than ever, so I never put the pieces back in. An extended warrenty just made sense to me this time.
    I hope you used the extra pieces to reinforce the gas tank area on your Pinto ;)
    The price for a GMPP is a bit daunting to most people. However, as with any new model GM, it is probably wise to ensure we have not purchased a :lemon:
    I read what you are saying but I have the fear everything will happen after the warranty expires. The major concern for me is the EPS. The engine and transmission I can handle, I have a very large tool box and the factory service information plus lots of experience. I just did the first tire rotation at 8000 and the brakes look new as they should. I just rotated the tires on my Sonoma at 48000 and the brakes look new and the tires not very worn. :)
  • csandstecsandste Member Posts: 1,866
    no problems yet, but all of this GMPP talk is scaring me. Almost no warranty discussions in my old Hyundai threads, of course there's a big warranty difference...
    no need to be worried..the discussion centers around the cost of the GMPP and a few of us did some research to find the lowest priced GMPP plan for those who are interested......some go for the extended warranty others do not....a call the consumer must make
  • christinadchristinad Member Posts: 34
    Thought I would post the price of my new Maxx on this forum.
    I got a black 05 Maxx, 1SB option, XM, DVD. It had been driven by an employee of the dealership and had about 3500 miles on it. They extended the warranty accordingly, and it was a certified vehicle. I paid $19,100, which I was very happy with. My parents are the only ones to drive it yet (I live in Vermont, and the car is in South Carolina), but they say it is perfect!
    congrats on the new car...sounds great...and sounds like a good price for the higher end Maxx....hoep you enjoy the car.....
  • danno5danno5 Member Posts: 3
    Hi all, this is my first post here.

I am looking at the Malibu Maxx, and intend on buying one in a few days. I talked to the dealership, and got the trade in price I want for my '99 Prism.

I have some questions:

1. Is this "GM Employee pricing for all" a good price?
    2. I noticed that the dealer calculated the sales tax before deducting the $2000 rebate; is this a scam?

The Maxx I am looking at is a 2005 with the 1SB package. MSRP is $23360, and after incentives and rebates my price is $18801. I am in Mich.

I test drove the car, I was VERY impressed.
  • southcarolinasouthcarolina Member Posts: 19
    not sure about the tax on the rebate, but as an ex-retail pharmacist I can tell you that if you bought a $10 item and had a coupon worth $1, in South Carolina you paid tax on $10 not $9.

If the $18801 is out the door without your trade, that sounds like a good deal. But if it includes your trade and you have to pay taxes and fees on top of that, you could probably do better. I bought a 2004 at roughly the same price. I had $3500 in GM dollars and traded a 15 year old Explorer and was out the door for $13100.
  • danno5danno5 Member Posts: 3
    The $18801 does not include tax or the trade-in. So, I Would estimate around $12-1500 for tax, and the dealer is giving me $4000 on a trade-in, which is the best of the 5 dealers I went to. Trade-in prices vary SO much. I had trade-in prices of 1200, 2500, 3500, 3800 and 4000 on the same car. So, buyer beware.

Sounds like the rebate after taxing is the norm. Thanks for the info..

Hope this car works out well. I really like the Maxx, lots of power and handles well.
    In Michigan, that's how it works. I believe this varies state by state. When you are talking about a hefty ($2000+) rebate, this can make a real difference. But the dealer must play by the rules -- there's nothing they can legally do to get around it.