Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet Malibu Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• rick54rick54 Member Posts: 1
    I had the same thing happen with my 2004 malibu and then unexpectedly lost the poer sterring a couple of times making a turn. Not long maybe 5 seconds or so and then it would come back. seems there was a known problem with the sterring column and they replaced it on warranty.
  • jes1955jes1955 Member Posts: 8
    I got him down to $17,965. What do you think?
  • csandstecsandste Member Posts: 1,866
    I paid $16K in February 2005 for an 05, although it was a base LS. Almost exactly $6K off. Given the markup of the extras on your car plus sitting on the lot for more than a year I think you should be able to get this for the low $17's. What's he going to get for it when the 07's are out?
  • luvmbootyluvmbooty Member Posts: 271
    Going to see salesman today. Thought info would help. Thanks!
  • micwebmicweb Member Posts: 1,617
    There isn't a lot of discounting on GM right now since they "repriced" their entire line to a lower level.

The LS standard Malibu is a steal. There is about a $600 price differential between the '06 and the '07 - the '07 has stock side curtain airbags, very nice to have.

Obviously you are more likely to get a dealer discount on a 2006 than on a 2007.

Start by asking for the fleet sales department, be considerate of their time, and ask for their best price.

If you get a 2006, check the "build date" on the small tag riveted usually to the driver's side door frame - it shows the actual date of construction. For an '06, try to buy one that has been on the lot 5 months or less.

Some Malibus are optioned up and very expensive; the base LS model is only $17k though, if you can live with a 4 cylinder (it is actually quite peppy).

The best way to have a heads up on pricing is to go the Chevrolet.com and use the Build and Price option to find out what's available as options and colors. You can fairly readily get any dealer with a warm body and a pulse to show you their invoice and sell to you for anywhere from their invoice price to $600 over invoice. Don't under any circumstances pay "dealer pack" a side sticker on the window with mostly appearance items.

Where most buyers give back to the dealer is actually in the finanance department, for above market rate interest rates, or protection plans of various sorts. So don't let your guard down at that stage. Check the eloan or other online car loan rate before going in so you know what is "fair."

Good luck! Some things you just have to jump in and try...
  • micwebmicweb Member Posts: 1,617
    If you feel uncomfortable asking for the "fleet sales" person, you can ask for the "GM Buypower sales rep" which is sort of the consumer version of the same thing, and is often the same person.
  • cwesleygcwesleyg Member Posts: 64
    I paid like $18.5K for mine at end of season (employee price for everyone) special... I wouldn't pay over $16K for such a late purchase on a 2005 now... it is a used car in my book, even if it was never titled.
    You are looking at buying a car with an older style GM V6... those miles are prime time for major failures. I wouold not buy that car. Expect a head gasket issue soon. Always assume the dealer has a 10...
    Thanks for the advice. I might try to visit the dealer in person this weekend. He still has four of them according to their web site. I'm not very good at "dealing", but I would think they'd be happy to sell one of these cars.
  • trainiac1trainiac1 Member Posts: 13
    Any have any idea what a 1999 Malibu LS with standard options and 61,000 miles is worth an the private aftermarket? Very clean with no accidents. 3.1 engine. Thanks.
  • paopao Member Posts: 1,867
    go to www.kbb.com and price it for a private party sell
  • trainiac1trainiac1 Member Posts: 13
    Thanks, I'll try it.
    http://www.kbb.com/kb/ki.dll/ke.kb.sp?kbb&&&usedCars;slp

$4500.00 Excellent, $4085.00 Good, $3580.00 Fair

It is a buyer's market on used cars. I would not pay a penny over the Good price, even if it is mint.
  • malibumalibumalibumalibu Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I got a quote of 2006 Malibu LT 2LT(3.5L V6)+AY0(side impact ab) @ 17700. Tax and fees not included... I am living in Seattle WA. Any ideas of whether its a good deal or not? Thanks a lot!
  • rygonrygon Member Posts: 2
    I can tell you that we just got a 2006 LT Malibu Maxx with the extra airbags, xm radio, rear wiper, and 14,000 miles (gm certified) for 16,700 out the door. Even if it is new I think you could go down a bit on that in my part of the country.
  • maccccmacccc Member Posts: 1
    I hoped you did not pay that much. I got my Maxx LT for $17000 OTD in the mid of November. I live in Northern Virginia close to DC.
  • gonogogonogo Member Posts: 879
    In my area new 06 Maxx, $14,995 and no takers for a month now.
  • ymchnymchn Member Posts: 5
    Want to get a 2LT in Ventura, CA area, but the dealer's quote is much higher than the others posted in this forum. Can anybody share some experience about usually how much you can cut off from dealer's quote?
    In 05 I got six grand off an 05 Maxx. Of course the 06's weren't marked up that much.

1. I think GM just put some more discounts and dealer money in to clear out 06's.
    2. I know the LA auto show is already over. Any other auto show discounts on horizon?
    3. If they're selling a Maxx for under $15 you should be able to do better with a 4 door sedan. There's still a quirk factor with the Maxx, the 4 door is going to be completely eclipsed by the new 08.
    4. Don't be afraid to buy from a more distant dealer. The 'Bu is an extremely low maintenance car. Mine's only been to the dealer twice in 40 thousand miles. Your selling dealer doesn't have to be your servicing dealer.
    5. Always deal with the Internet sales, there's less $$$ given out to a local sales person that way. Edmunds should give you 3 or more easy dealer quotes but do a zone search with other stickers on Chevy's web site and contact other Chevy dealers by Internet.
    6. In addition to Edmunds, TrueDelta can be helpful in running down national pricing leaders.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    A national news magazine is looking to interview recent GM car buyers (Chevrolet, Pontiac, GMC, Cadillac, Saturn, Buick, Hummer, Saab) that switched from a Toyota or considered purchasing a Toyota. If you are interested, please send an email to ctalati@edmunds.com no later than Monday, January 29, 2007 containing your daytime contact information.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• angeldownangeldown Member Posts: 4
    i went to test drive a 2006 malibu at the GM dealer. It's a demo car with 4500 miles on it.
    The dealer even asked for 19.5k plus tax and fees.
    What I offered is 17k OTD but the sales refused to sell because according to him, they lost money for that price.
    What do you guys think? Is it worthwhile to buy a demo car?
    I have no problem with a demo car assuming the full warranty remains in place....as for the price....we are3 months from the end of the 07 model year and they soon will have a 2 model year old car on their hands......guess its how much longer they want to pay interest on a demo car.....I thinkt he price is more than reasonable if not a little high to be honest
  • silvertonguebusilvertonguebu Member Posts: 1
    It's a base model with 31000 miles. I paid the dealer $9800. After a Carfax and taxes and title and financing at my bank (9.5%), this car cost me about $11000. I'm thinking about buying an extended warranty from WarrantyDirect for $1200. If any of you kind folks have ANY thoughts about this, the car, the price and/or the warranty, please reply. Thanks! :confuse:
    read the fine print on the extended warranty...see who has to authorize repairs..do you pay up front and get reimbursed..and who will honor the warranty locally for you you......also...9.5% seems to be a high interest rate.....was that a result of your credit rating..did you shop around....did the dealer offer financing?
    Purchase only a GM warranty, most others won't cover just gaskets. Such as intake manifold gasket leaks.
  • gwinmainegwinmaine Member Posts: 1
    I bought an '06 Malibu Maxx in November wih 30K for $13,500.00 out the door. Because it was a "Certified" Used Car, I also got the GM 3.9% financing. Pape Chevy in S. Portland, Maine was easy to do business with. Overall, I like the car. It has a dorky/ cool thing going on. At first I thought I was the only guy in town with a silver Maxx only to see three in down town Portland in early January. The car must have been built on a Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday- everything is buttoned down. The car is free of rattles and drives nice. Sometimes I feel like I have to apologize for owning a Chevy, but increasingly, it's looking like smart money
  • hawleyrwhawleyrw Member Posts: 3
    Hello all -

I'm a new owner of a used 06 Malibu LS. ~28000 miles. Clean, fairly low miles, great shape, runs perfect. Picked it up from a non-GM dealer for 12,500. In looking (Carfax), unit was a prior rental, which I figured with the mileage.

Question for the experts - was an LS with the 3.5L V6 engine ever a standard config? That's what this one has. From what I'm seeing it's an LS - everything else is base (no power seats, no heated seats, standard CD radio (no RDS)), except for the engine.

Also - one other question - I see no radio antenna - I'm assuming it's built in somewhere? Just curious.

Thanks!
  • malexbumalexbu Member Posts: 169
    See that "net" inside the glass behind the rear-view mirror? That's the antenna, IIRC.
    I have an 05 LS, roughly equal to an 06 LT. I think, however, that all Maxxes come with a V-6. The four is only on the four doors.
  • popadopolispopadopolis Member Posts: 16
    The antenna for radio is located at the top of the rear window,above the the rear window defroster grid.The net behind the rear view mirror is to prevent the bright sunlight from interfearing with your view of the mirror while driving on a sunny day. This is for the sedan. The maxx has an external mast antenna mounted on right rear quarter panel :)
  • malexbumalexbu Member Posts: 169
    Oops!... Thank you for correcting me -- I need to look at the rear window again. Where could I have gotten my idea of the net?... Sorry for misleading...
    That window antenna also has a amplifier.
  • nextstarnextstar Member Posts: 1
    I Want to get a Malibu 07 2LT. However, the dealer's quote is much higher than the others posted in this forum. Can anybody share some experience about usually how much you can cut off from sticker price or from dealer's quote?
    Many thanks.
    There's altogether too many Chevy dealers, plus this is a soon to be discontinued car. I've never come anywhere close to Edmunds price in any of my negotiations-- always been able to do much, much better.

Keep looking and don't be afraid to walk away and go to the next Chevy dealer down the road.
    A dealer near me has 8 leftover Malibu Maxx LT's 2006 models. All have an MSRP of 21,400. I would think that the dealer would want to sell. What would be a reasonable price with current incentives? I appreciate any thoughts. I am not a good negotiator.

Thanks.
    If the 06 LT is roughly like the 05 LS...

In early 05 I bought an 05 LS for $16,000. I believe the list price was a bit over $22K. Given the fact that there were bigger markups and discounts back then, but realizing that your car is one year old, that there's a bunch of them on the lot and that the car is going to be discontinued (but without checking Edmunds price)... I'd estimate something less than fifteen.

This would represent the same dollar discount I got on a new car that wasn't going to be discontinued, so I'd think that would offset the changes in pricing made in 06.

Does this sound right to the rest of you?

BTW-- Just bought my wife an 07 Optima with leather for $16.1. Even though I'm a bit ticked at GM for a recent $800 steering column replacement, and even though the Optima has better workmanship, styling and handling. I gotta say that the 'Bu Maxx is more comfortable, gets about the same mileage with a six as the Optima four and IMHO (not hers) is the better all around deal, especially with the flexibility of the hatch. The Maxx is wearing very very well. I enjoy it more now than I did when it was new. This assessment might change if I have to put in another steering column or if the steering rack craps out.
  • escape15208escape15208 Member Posts: 9
    Just got a no-haggle-so-far quote on a new '07 Maxx LT, MSRP $21225, for $17,622 w/ GM SmartBuy, $17,900 w/o. Silver on Ebony cloth, only options are spoiler and rear wiper.

Interestingly, I also had a quote for an '06 LT(listed through GM's website as new, but I was told by the dealer it was a program vehicle with 6000 miles) w/ seat heaters, spoiler and rear wiper, and a urethane wheel in lieu of a leather one, for $16900.

The 07 comes standard with some items the 06 doesn't, including side airbags, alloy wheels (06 has wheel covers), and leather wheel w/ audio controls, as well as a 100,000 mile powertrain warrenty.

At first I thought the $16900 was a pretty decent deal but after reading the forums here and getting the quote for the '07, I'm thinking otherwise.
    Thoughts?
    The dealer still has 7 leftover 2006 models. I stopped in today. The best deal they gave me was $18,418. MSRP is $21415. I don't think this is a great deal on a year old car. I can do better on an '07 elsewhere.
    Sounds outrageous. It's a model year later (with smaller discounts) but why are they giving you three grand off on an almost two year old (discontinued) car and I got six grand off on the same model year and a base model Maxx? No wonder they have six left. Maybe the dealer is waiting for them to appreciate.

Is this through the Internet manager? What happens when you use Edmunds to ping three local dealers?
  • jfritschjfritsch Member Posts: 958
    If you look up a 06 malibu ls on edmunds or kbb.com used, add the airbags and some other standard stuff in 07, you get a wholesale price of about 11200. Shoot for about 15-20% above 1yr wholesale for a new one. This holds for about 95% of production vehicles. This would put us in the 13000 range for a new 07 (17800msrp).

My jaw drops when kbb has a $24000 Maxx dropping to about $12000 wholesale in a year. You either want about 9-10000 off MSRP or need to consider something else.

Good luck
    --jjf
  • legalseclegalsec Member Posts: 31
    A Chevy dealer in Lanham, MD has __7__ 2006 Malibu Maxx LTs and 2 2006 Malibu Maxx SSs, plus 1 2007 LT. The '06 LTs have listed invoices btw $20,600 and $23,358. I offered the internet guy $16,999 for one of the $23,358 LTs, and he got back to me saying that they'd sell it to me for $16,998.40 (after incentives I later found out) if I take delivery today.

I told them I wanted GM's $3,000 cash back for a final price of $13,998.40, but the internet salesman said they were already losing money on his quote ($16,998.40). I don't believe that for a minute. I argued that they could do better since the '08s were about to roll out (we're negotiating an '06) and if GM is giving the customer $3000 cash back, GM would surely have the dealers covered as well. He didn't have a response, and we ended the call.

Since $16,998.40 for a well-optioned '06 Maxx LT (front sunroof, convenience pkg, spoiler/rear wiper) came so easily, I believe that a serious buyer should haggle for a lower price. Hope this helps to add to this discussion... :)
    You may be able to get a maxx like that new in 07 for 16000-18000 so yeah, 14000 ish is about right for a new 06. (The fact they are there tells you something)

--jjf
  • legalseclegalsec Member Posts: 31
    One has to wonder if a dealer would let a new 06 (with power sunroof, rear spoiler and wiper, etc.) go for $14,000 given that Edmunds' TMV for a similar used 06 with 30,000 miles is about $14,000. I contacted a few MD dealers with leftover 06s to investigate. Most have sold their leftovers, and they even quoted me sold prices (take it for what it's worth), e.g., "$18,000 out the door," and "it sold for $17-something."

By the way, I took delivery of a navy 06 Malibu Maxx with 31,000 miles yesterday. It came w/ options like power sunroof, steering wheel cruise control and audio controls, rear spoiler and wiper and xm radio. It rides nicely, but in getting to know the vehicle, the DIC sounds complicated and the front center vent area is developing a rattle.

I bought it from JBA Automotive in Glen Burnie, MD. Their prices are competitive, and they are willing to negotiate. Our salesman said they sell the most cars in MD but are still family-owned rather than owned by a corporation.

Overall the experience was better than others I've heard about: fewer high-pressure sell tactics, upfront about internet pricing, personable sales staff and a more laid-back manager. This could be their modus operandi or it could be because we did our research and brought our competing car listings and Edmunds TMV with us.
  • stone25stone25 Member Posts: 2
    My local dealer (long island,NY) has a 06 maxx LT with side airbags. I Asked for 16K (include NY tax 8.6%)and got approved by dealer. Don't know if it is a goodbuy to get a almost 2 year old malibu. It's not a demo car-only 15 mileage on it. Would somebody give me some advice? 1st time to get a new car. Thank you all.
    I believe that this vehicle used with 16000 miles on it wholesales for about 12kish in the consumer books. This would put you at about 13k ish with very low miles. Somewhere in the 13-low 14's is an ok price for this car unused. The concept there are numerous 06 maxx's new out there at this date still for sale should tell you something.
    If you got a 6 percent or so interest rate with good credit, its a mediocre deal. As you know the car isn't going anywhere.

If you absolutely need a hatch, Try looking at the 07 mazda6 5dr hatch special value edition. Even with the 4 cyl is peppy, is the only other hatch sedan I know of, is far sexier and with msrp of 22k may be able to get it for in the high 16s+tax. The 6 cyl may be $1500+ more.

Good luck
    --jjf

My local dealer (long island,NY) has a 06 maxx LT with side airbags. I Asked for 16K (include NY tax 8.6%)and got approved by dealer. Don't know if it is a goodbuy to get a almost 2 year old malibu. It's not a demo car-only 15 mileage on it. Would somebody give me some advice? 1st time to get a new car. Thank you all.
  • mjf6175mjf6175 Member Posts: 4
    Well I am also one of those looking for a deal on these leftover 06's. BUT I am looking for an SS Sedan (not the Maxx which seem to be still out there). The few 06 SS I have found all have an MSRP of 25,500-25,660 which makes them fully loaded. I contacted 4 dealers who are FAR apart from each other, yet they all came up with prices within $100-200 of each other, taking off 4800-5000 off list and that INCLUDES the current 3000 rebates. One dealer in Mass. called me back 3xs, including a Sunday morning trying to make the sale. He was also stuck at 5k off. I now have found one dealer who will take off a total of $5660, the MSRP is $25,660 and he is offering me the car at $20,000. Can not get him lower. Has anyone found better pricing out there?
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    A reporter with a large newspaper is hoping to talk to consumers who are looking to purchase a new midsize vehicle. Please reply to ctalati@edmunds.com no later than Thursday, October 18, 2007 with your daytime contact info. along with what car (or cars) you are considering purchasing.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

seems like they are quite ready to sell yet, surely they can do better considering the incentives.......Im getting 4k off an 08 CTS with no incentives at the moment....which takes it to about 500 over invoice.....
  • mjf6175mjf6175 Member Posts: 4
    Pao....the 06 Malibu SS I was looking at had an MSRP of $25,660 and an invoice of $24,035. I confirmed the invoice on Edmunds as well as a copy of the invoice from the dealer, the numbers matched exactly. The offered bottom line price of $20,000 was over $4k BELOW invoice. The dealer first discounted the car from the MSRP of $25,660 to $24,000 (just below invoice). Then the $4k below invoice ($20k) was achieved by two rebates, a $3000 customer rebate. The other $1k was a dealer rebate (not customer)from GM and the dealer passed his rebate as well to me. In fact I decided to get the SS and even used my points (1,000, the max allowed on the SS) I have on the GM MasterCard. So I paid exactly $19,000 for it. A total of $6,660 off, a 26% discount. The CTS is a way higher priced car and has more "room" between the MSRP and the invoice, and obviously you can get a larger discount when going from the MSRP to invoice like you got. To get an idea of the discount take the same percentage off the CTS.
    appears you got a good deal then...but you also must consider its a two model year old car now...so the dealer would take any reasonable offer...somehow..I bet he still made a little money on the car...