Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet Malibu Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• mazda6dudemazda6dude Member Posts: 283
    Thanks for the feedback. Got points and information. So far the lowest quote I have got for a 2008 Chevy Malibu LT1 has been $18840 including destination and TTL. It sounded like a good price. I will go test drive it this weekend and see if I like it. I really like the styling interior and exterior. Lets see how it drives.
  • beach15beach15 Member Posts: 1,305
    That sounds like a very good price for a typical 1LT. It all just depends on what the relation is to the invoice of any specific car with whatever options it has, then go from there.

Take a drive and see what you think. We love ours, and you should be impressed as most are...at least those who don't stick to talking about compact Mazda's or other imports as completely above and beyond such a supposedly lowly Chevy ;) For what it's worth, this is the first car (and we've had many) that got a steady stream of comments and questions about it everyday for the first couple of months, has led people who saw it to buy one themselves, etc.

The Malibu 1LT is the most popular package, and the most common, as dealers will tell you--the cloth seated 4-cyl combo being a biggie in mid-size sedans.
  • mtnman1mtnman1 Member Posts: 431
    still have to drive the Hyundai Sonata Ltd and that will end my test drives of the sedan vehicles.

You should definitely consider the Sonata. The thing is the Sonata won't have the handling and ride of the Malibu LTZ. It will probably have the feel of a luxury car not the sportier feel of the LTZ. I've been considering a Sonata, Malibu 2LT, & Fusion SEL as a possible replacement of my 2003 Sonata Lx in the next year. Very tough decision as I think all three are great. I just saw the 09 Sonata Limited a couple of weeks ago on the Dealer Lot. Fantastic looking both outside and inside. I haven't driven it yet but I might. Dealer's Internet Sales Guy quoted me the following: Limited V6 w/o Nav Msrp $26,400, would sell it for 24,303 (Total Invoice including destination $24,670) and with the $2000 total Rebates which include current owners the bottom line would be 22,303 plus Tax & Title. I have discounts on any Ford or GM product through my company as well, which makes the decision more difficult. I could get a loaded Fusion about $1000 lower than the Sonata with my X-Plan and the $2500 rebates that I qualify for in my local Market.
    2012 Highlander Limited AWD V6 and 2015 Ford Fusion Hybrid SE
  • jimi4jimi4 Member Posts: 1
    While I agree with your post I find the Malibu gauges are a lot more pleasant to look at especially comparing to the G6 which has Pontiac orange as a theme.
    The Impala is a better deal for the money but once again the gauges look like GM has not learned their lesson and reused the same garbage they have been using since the 80's.

While I find the interior of Malibu the best of the bunch I feel that the Honda Accord EX appears to have the Malibu beat in the seamless engine/transmission interaction. GM should have priced the Malibu lower than they did too, in my opinion, because if I am going to be spending close to $30k I seriously need to know that the car is going to last. I know this to be the case with Honda but only hope this to be the case with Chevy.

The Sonata is a smart buy which appears to have been priced by a smart execs at Hyundai!
    OK I can get a 6 cylinder Sonata for how much?
    I have heard good things about these cars, the price is quite a few thousand less than the Malibu or Accord so maybe I would take a chance and buy one.
    The pricing shows some intellect on top of Hyundai which is in start contrast to so other car companies.
    It could be my imagination but I would almost swear that the execs at Hyundai dissected an Accord while designing the Sonata.
  • paopao Member Posts: 1,867
    the only problem I have with Hyundai and their other brand KIA, is there frequent scheduled and costly maintenance to maintain that wonderful 5-100k warranty....depending on the vehicle, and your dealership.....oil changes with the dealership, tune at 60K, timing belt 40-60K, differential and transmission flush every 30K......I havent checked into the Sonata recently....but you might want to check on the cost of scheduled and required maintanence as well....
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Member Posts: 2,697
    I think that was made up. I never heard of timing belts changes being required every 40K miles or being required to have oil changed only at the dealership to maintain a factory warranty.
    better read the recommended scheduled maintenace....I had a KIA that had a 60K interval for the timing belt replacement..... Hyundai may be different......the dealership specifically told me that if the scheduled maintenance was not done or properly documented...meaning I didnt have all receipts for materials and labor...that warranty work could be denied.....

just a small piece of advice...check the owners manual for maintenance intervals, and ask the service department........if you are looking at a Hyundai......
  • mtnman1mtnman1 Member Posts: 431
    Not to keep this thread off topic (Malibu), but take a look at the ratings for reliability by Consumer Reports for a 2003 Sonata. For a 5 year old Vehicle 5 of 8 areas are excellent and the other 3 are Very Good the second best rating. One thing you are getting with the Sonata now is it's great reliability.
    2012 Highlander Limited AWD V6 and 2015 Ford Fusion Hybrid SE
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,145
    A reporter is hoping to talk with consumers who had considered purchasing a Hyundai Sonata and ended up purchasing another vehicle. Please respond to ctalati@edmunds.com before Friday, May 16, 2008 with your daytime contact information and what you ended up purchasing.
    Thanks,
    Chintan Talati
    Corporate Communications
    Edmunds.com

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• tsgraysontsgrayson Member Posts: 9
    Black Granite Metallic LTZ
    4 cyl with 6 speed auto
    Rear Power
    Sun Roof
    MSRP 28,100
    Supplier 26,600
    -1000 Conquest
    $25,600
  • personatechpersonatech Member Posts: 105
    What are "supplier" and "Conquest"? Does that price include destination, fees, etc.? Good to see the LTZ can now be had with the 4-banger.
    It includes destination and fees...

Conquest is if you do not own a GM car
    Supplier is pricing that you can get through the military or a dealer
    Thx. I'm very interested in the Malibu although I'm leaning towards an Accord. I need to test drive this new version of the Malibu (4 cyl./6 sp.) if I can find one.

EDIT: I just checked Chevy's "Build It" site. The 4/6 package is there but I'm a bit put out that they charge the same for the 4 as they do the 6!! I suppose your savings come at the pump... :confuse:
    "EDIT: I just checked Chevy's "Build It" site. The 4/6 package is there but I'm a bit put out that they charge the same for the 4 as they do the 6!! I suppose your savings come at the pump..."

Apparently, the "Build It" site I visited was incorrect (it was NOT Chevy's official site, which still does not offer the Spring Special as an LTZ option). I just saw an LTZ with the "Spring Special" package priced at a $1075 deduction at my local dealer. For the particular car I saw, you were essentially trading the V6 for the Ecotec 4, a sunroof, and the rear power pkg. EPA was 23/32 (if I remember correctly) averaging 25MPG. Methinks this Malibu just jumped back into contention with the Accord EX-L (if I can fit with the sunroof)!

BTW, the car was white with a cocoa/cashmere leather interior - a color combination not found on Chevy's official Build It site. Apparently we're beginning to see some new color combos.
    That is the one I am getting...spring special!
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A reporter from a national newspaper is looking to speak to consumers who just purchased a new Chevy Malibu within the past six months and whether it had anything to do with gas prices. If you’re interested in speaking to the reporter, please contact Chintan Talati at ctalati@edmunds.com with your daytime contact information no later than June 23, 2008.
  • kslupkslup Member Posts: 10
    hello all.. i am looking at two cars Chevy Malibu 2lt and the ltz.. big breaker believe it or not is the brick leather available with LTZ. LOVE it. what numbers should I expect???? :cry: , I am waiting to hear from 2 dealers in NY on both models. So far got a quote MP $390 w $1800 total out of pocket on a LTZ.

looking forward to the replies!!
    What terms are you looking at? A typical LTZ in the $26-28k range runs around $400'ish give or take on a 36, 12k lease. Not the lowest numbers as there are no lease incentives with such a hot car, but not horrific.

Just make sure to deal on actual price in the first place, trying to get near or at invoice, and then from that price work with the lease numbers.
  • tepestepes Member Posts: 1
    Purchased a 4 Cyl. 2008 Malibu LTZ with sunroof, rear power package and adjustable power pedals for $24k before tax, tags and processing fee on July 31st. It came to $25600 out the door in Montgomery county - Maryland (6% tax).
  • cubsmancubsman Member Posts: 1
    Note: 2008 Prices will be much better and you should get a better deal...however I went with a 2009 so I didn't have as much negotiating power.

First Visit Wed July 29....test drive and leave never discussing price
    Call to schedule 2nd test drive of LTZ this time on Thursday 30th....never show up..I no called no show....
    Manager calls me Fri July 31st (end of month, end of quarter and I believe end of fiscal year)....I tell him we are not going to buy a car today and after 15 minutes we hang up....
    I show up unannounced now at about 6pm and we test drive the LTZ

MSRP = 27720
    First offer from them = 27720
    I offered 26200
    They come back with 27478...way to meet me half way
    So I tell them sorry guys...but that's not 26200....invoice is ~25600 so I know I'm giving them some profit with that....we walk out the door (and they let me)....keys in hand when the sales guy comes out to say by (i.e. stall) followed by another manager who starts chatting with us. I say 26200 again is my final and he says invoice is 26600....we argue because I know what it is and he goes to grab the invoice sheet.....Their invoice includes fees for advertising and also included the destination fee so I was right and so was he I guess....He offers "his" invoice price of 26600 and I accept figuring it's probably as good as I'm getting. We walk back in and I tell him....I won't do the deal if I don't get the incentive 6.9% financing...since my bank quoted me 7.5% I figured 6.9% was decent. They never tried to screw me on that....it came out 6.9%

I had no trade in. I bought NO extended warranty....NO car care kit for $500!!! and no gap insurance for $795 (reduced offer of $595)..figured thats a nice chunck of change for about $3000 of insurance...didn't make sense.

Besided tax, title, etc...there was a $399 doc fee (after the fact I see it squeezed in there)......all in all I feel I did ok considering it was an 09.

I think finally it was just below $28000 with everything. (3% state tax)
  • mvc753mvc753 Member Posts: 1
    Got a quote today for the above stated car at $24,625 + TTL. Any good? The dealer has to go get the car as well.
  • gussguss Member Posts: 1,167
    Picked up a 2008 2LT with sunroof,premium stereo,power package on 9/2/08, the last day of the original employee pricing.

Pretty simple. MSRP was $25625, paid $23429.50

I hear they now extended employee pricing to '09's. The six speed would have been nice but not worth the bump up in MSRP to me.
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A marketing partner would like to speak with Chevrolet Malibu owners who live in the Washington DC and Baltimore areas. If you are pleased with the car, please respond to jwahl@edmunds.com with your daytime contact information.
  • lcwhitelcwhite Member Posts: 4
    Today received a quote over the internet, no haggling:
    2009 Malibu LTZ, V6,Sunroof, Rear power package:
    LIst price:$29,315
    Price: $26,724+TTL
    How does that stack up to other deals?
    I don't know if GM's employee pricing calculator is up for the '09's yet, but a $2500 discount is about what the 6 cylinder '08's are. Still a very good price though.
  • sliggsligg Member Posts: 109
    Purchased 2009 Malibu LTZ, 4 cylinder, 6 speed, dark gray metallic with no sun roof.

GM employee pricing of $24608.30. Dealer honored $300 coupon from website.
    for a cost of $24308.30. Documentation fee was $45. Registration $139, inspection $10, tire recycling $12.50. That's it. It was as simple a deal as possible. No trade in, no finance and F & I was not pushy. Deal took about one hour. They also gave me 6 free oil changes. NYC sales tax @ 8.375 came to $2035

Dealer: Meyer Chevrolet in Queens NY
    Congrats! I love the LTZ-4 combo, and you certainly had a nice and easy deal...in a fantastic color;)
    In my area of Queens, Middle Village, there was a 2009 Malibu LTZ sitting on four cinder blocks, the four 18 inch tires stolen.

I'm picking up my Malibu on Wednesday. My question: What devices can I buy to minimize the treat of theft? New York is notorious for car thieves.
    locking lugs are for honest folks..they can be broken off and rims stolen....locks are to keep the honest folks out IMHO....lo jack seems to be a success in recovering a vehicle...but since its passive in nature.....its not a defense from keeping it from theft.....most people ignore horns and flashing lights these days....a passive system that disables the engine is the best one......I beleive GM employs a passive system already in there keys and ignitiion
    I read somewhere if you use wheel locks, instead of one on each wheel, use five. It might get you a little more protection. What do you think?
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,175
    Then you'll need a different key for each wheel.. seems like a pain..

What kind of wheels are you putting on a Malibu? 32 years of car ownership... never lost a wheel..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• coasterguycoasterguy Member Posts: 25
    May be buying a 09' Malibu LTZ. With moonroof. Anyone know what I can expect to pay? So far they said Approx $3300 off of sticker of approx $30,800

I am a little nervous with what is going on but, I just like the look of the car it is very nice. I have always owned, Mini, Honda, or Toyota my whole life. can anyone say anything about their experience with this car? Is it really as good as they say online. I drove it and it felt nice to me.
    Thanks
    I don't have an LTZ, but I love mine , and it is only a 4 cylinder. Like you I loved the look of it at first. I remember looking at a Car and Driver comparison between the Malibu, Altima,Accord and Camry . The malibu just looked so much more different and better than the others I was sold.

After driving it I realized that GM got their act together on this one. After 4k miles I am still loving it, it is just so much fin to drive.
  • rik4rik4 Member Posts: 90
    just weld the wheels on . no on will get em off then.
  • pantonipantoni Member Posts: 1
    I can get an 09 Malibu LT1 w/sunroof and power convenience package
    in NY for 22000 plus cost of plates. I think this is a very good deal,
    Should I take it
  • lexikinglexiking Member Posts: 1
    got a quote from a dealer
    2009 Malibu LS base model, brand new one
    17300+ fees = 19500 OTD price
    do you guys think it is a good price
    btw, my location is Chandler, Arizona
    Thanks
  • micwebmicweb Member Posts: 1,617
    17.3 is a great price.
    Already hearing it from my friends. What your trading your car for a CHEVY???? I feel a little dumb but, I know what I drove. They like the look. But, they think it is no good. I have always had imports my whole life. I am eager to get this car to show them the difference. I will have to make them rethink. I don't care what they think. If more people do this. GM would get some extra love.
    That's what it all about for Chevy, changing peoples perception one car at a time. It's a shame the economy tanked right when GM was getting some good products(Malibu, CTS,Traverse) out.

My neighbor that used to own a repair shop came over to check out my car just after I bought it. He was always an import buyer, but after looking at and driving my Malibu he said it was at the top of his list to look at.
    I am still a little nervous about this. I had thought about and entry level Lexus or Bmw but, I just like the looks of the malibu. It makes it tough when all I ever bought was imports and now that I am at a point in life at which I can spend more on a car it is odd to me and my friends that I am looking at a malibu. I wish they changed the name. hehehe......It is so nice looking to me though.
    lexus and BMW even at entry level are a good comparison to the Malibu...its made to compete with the Accord.Camry crowd....if you are looking at the entry ..level autos check out the Cadillac CTS......just bought a 09 fully loaded..and love it.....my first entry into the luxury level auto.....
    What sort of deals can you get on a CTS now. ?
    I keep second guessing myself. The dealer is looking for the right Malibu for me right now. I still keep thinking,,, Maxima, CTS, G-35 or Lexus Is250? I feel the Malibu is the best bang but, not at the same level as the others. But is it? CONFUSED.......
  • jfritschjfritsch Member Posts: 958
    If you are in one of the areas (NJ, NY and possibly Texas and some others) where you can get the Hyundai Sonata gls (20200 msrp) for around 15500 or so go for that, well before the Malibu. Edmunds has the Sonata competitive with the Accord

Doesn't mean anything, GM,Ford was just getting it together... they've been falling apart for decades. The transplants are building new factories in the US while the "Domestic" nameplates are hopeless. Many wonder how they survived this long. Management made it work with higher markup Suv's and trucks but thats it.

Anything involving the UAW for consumer autos (not heavy equipment) is dead. With the proponderance of autos and styles it is almost a commodity business. There is no business model with the company paying overweight morons in a blue shirt and a golfcart (union stewards) shutting down the production line in numerous pissing contests with management that can survive.

By the time productivity is factored in the Domestics pay well over 2x for labor, with the pension problems added in.

Gov't support would be permanent. A wealth transfer from the avg worker(s) to the "rich" workers.

With tons of cars being made in the US and similar suppliers I don't even know what a "Domestic" car is anymore. (the plastic emblem on the front grille?)

Good luck
    --jjf
    again...the cars you name in my mind arent in the same category as the Malibu..apples to oranges in comparison....with the CTs and the G35, you are looking at initial entry level sport luxury cars.....I looked at the malibu...have an 04 malibu maxx lt that I was completely happy with...135k and still going.....looked at the G35, the Maxima, didnt consider lexus due to a coworkers bad experience with his...and the local dealership......I went with the CTS...loved the lines.....and the ride and feel is nothing like the new malibu......as well as features...but again....the CTS was 20K more than the Malibu LTZ fully loaded.....I wouldnt compare the Malibu to any of the other cars...different category and price ranges...

again you say the best bang ....but what are you looking for...transportation, luxury sedan, family car....good on MPG...etc.....I went for the CTS because I was in a position to move up to a luxury level.....GM had employee pricing at the time....which compare to the redtag sale ongoing..saved me an addition 7K....price difference on the CTS.....my MPG is around 24-25 on average....as much as 30 MPG on the highway and the features are well beyond the malibu....G35 was the same price range...was smaller and go less gas mileage and different offer the same features.....maxima slightly less..but still pushing high 30sk for price....plus the maxima lines didnt appeal to me....

would I have been happy with the new malibu...probably......but I wanted to step up in comfort, features and looks,,and simply because I was now in a position in life to afford the CTS ........again..personal choice
  • shaqdaddy34shaqdaddy34 Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I'm new here. Great site!! I am looking at a 2009 Malibu LTZ, black metallic, 4cyl, 6 speed, ebony/brick int, sunroof, etc (fully loaded) After some rebates and GM employee pricing they offered $22,524 (not including tax).

What do you think? Sound good or not? Just thought I would ask the experts.
  • csandstecsandste Member Posts: 1,866
    I have almost no brand loyalty, especially for American cars. I get what's best for me.

I owned a Hyundai Elantra from 2001-05, now own a Kia Optima. Neither gave me a bit of trouble. However the Malibu Maxx I own has also been nearly flawless. Although the Maxx is out of warranty, its maintenance is FAR less than the Hyun/Kias. The GM oil life monitor is very conservative, set to dino oil and shows changes at about 7,000 miles. To keep the Kia in warranty I have to follow a 3000 oil change schedule, stretched a bit with highway mileage. Most of the other fluids go about 300% greater than the Korean cars. That's how they pay for that long warranty--keep you coming back for service. The GM ohv 3.0 liter engine (sorry it's going away, it was a workhorse) gets better mpg-- especially around town-- than the Kia four.

I like both cars but my Maxx is the best car I've ever owned. So sorry GM was so narrow minded that they never marketed it. Would have loved to see it carried forward to the next generation.
  • bwiabwia Member Posts: 2,913
    I am looking at a 2009 Malibu LTZ, black metallic, 4cyl, 6 speed, ebony/brick int, sunroof, etc (fully loaded) After some rebates and GM employee pricing they offered $22,524 (not including tax).

What do you think?

That is a phenomenal deal. I would consider it a steal--so grab it while the offer is still on the table. What is the MRSP as optioned and which dealership is offering this deal as I am in the market for an LTZ also. Somehow, they have to make up the loss so perhaps they low-balled you on your trade if you had one.
  • csandstecsandste Member Posts: 1,866
    Meant 3.5 liter. Sorry for the missing 500 cc's.
  • zornundozornundo Member Posts: 21
    I just received a quote on a 2009 1LT with the 6-speed auto as the only option. Quoted price is $20,107 + TTL. Good or not good enough?