Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota RAV4 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• khunter1khunter1 Member Posts: 5
    JC Got several internet quotes from Denver dealers in late June. The reason to avoid shopping in person trancends your busy schedule. It is more effective for getting the best deal, at least that is my impression.

Got what I thought was a very good deal and below invoice on a sport V6 from Burt toyota, total deal worked out on internet with a smidge of phone work at the end. Drove 250 miles, and past 2 much closer toyota dealers to buy at Burt Toyota for the best price by far. Another dealer was a bit lower but came across as shady and they had terrible customer reviews regarding ethics, so I went with Burt for a few bucks more. No reason to waste your time in the dealership to negotiate. You can get dealer ratings for denver area dealers at http://www.dealerrater.com/directory/Colorado/Toyota/

A couple real eye openers in there.

Best bet, IMO just directly request a price quote from each dealer's website. That mostly generated what I was looking for--e-mail price quote. Just ignore to ones asking you to 'come on in'.
    Know the pricing data and e-mail numerous dealers directly and hold your line at something just below invoice and see if you get your price. You'll know your best deal when you see it after a couple rounds via e-mail with 5 or more dealers. One or more will want the deal much more than all the rest.
  • jessy2007jessy2007 Member Posts: 8
    Could you please give me the dealer's info? Thank you!
  • wethelivingwetheliving Member Posts: 6
    I emailed a dealer with a bid on a 2007 base model 4cyl 4x2 Rav4. I based my bid on the Invoice price on Edmunds and MSN Auto which is $19378 which I told him, but the internet manager insists the invoice is $20917. That's quite a big difference. Even with a destination fee it wouldn't be that high. Is he just straight up lying to me? Has anyone bought at the $19k invoice price? He doesn't want to budge from that and I don't want to start that high.
  • alamocityalamocity Member Posts: 680
    The difference in price may be including the advertising fee which added with the destination fee may account for the difference in prices. I too have been looking at the same model, first quote I received was $23,500.00 out the door so needless to say I walked.
    Must be a big advertising fee and not one I'd pay. I asked twice for him to give me a list of all the fees and costs that went into the price he gave me which was $21335 + TTL (too high imo) and he just kept telling me to come in. That's one thing I dislike about this dealer, they always want you to come in (like I don't know why) and they don't like to tell you how they're getting their prices. I was also considering a CRV and never had any problem getting a OTD price w/ a list of all the fees from them. Are all Toyota dealers like this?

The salesguy also told me there were no 2008 Rav4's coming out, but I've read here and other places that there are.
    I have the same problem with the Toyota dealers here, most will either quote you MSRP plus TT&L or say come in to the dealership. I've read postings from some of the sales people who post here and they look at internet sales as something they don't want to mess with. Have a couple of more dealerships to check locally and if it's the same I'll move on to either the CRV or Rondo.
    Yeah, sales people probably don't like it because we can avoid the pressure we'd get at the dealership. That's one reason I prefer the internet, not to mention, I'm not going to waste my time running back and forth to dealers all over Houston just to get prices that I may not like.
    I know what you mean, hate having to go to all the dealerships and while I am interested in the vehicle will not play games as other options are out there.
  • bu756bu756 Member Posts: 1
    I have got a quote for RAV4 V6 4 X 4 Limited and was wondering if it was a good quote or there is room for negotiation...

Below is the quote...
    EXT/INT CLR 0070 WHITE PEARL/ FA10 ASH CLTH
    OPTIONAL EQUIPMENT
    FE 50-ST EMIS
    EJ AM/FM STER/CAS/IN-DSH 6CD CHGR
    PC SPEC PNT
    RL DAYTIME RUN LTS
    SR PWR TILT/SLIDE MOONRF
    TH 3RD RW ST
    TO TOW PREP PKG
    DK PREF OWNERS PORTFOLIO
    Z2 PREF ACC PKG

Price: $27,763.00 + TAX + TAGS

Is this a good deal. Any input appreciated
    Thx
  • tamton2004tamton2004 Member Posts: 1
    A dealer is offering me a toyota RAV4 for $22000.00 (w/o tax)

These are the specs:

2007 Toyota RAV4 V6 FWD(2WD)
    Mileage : 6000 (Single owner)
    Limited Edition with Sunroof
    State: Illinois

Since I don't have much experience with automobiles, I am at loss in determining if this is a good price. Could you please provide some input.

Any help is highly appreciated.
  • raejuneraejune Member Posts: 8
    Received the OTD quote for $27476. This price includes the following configuration: FE, RL, TO, GC, CF, S6 and $176 for choosing Blizzard White Pearl color.
    The dealer is at Houston, TX.
    Is this a good deal? :surprise:
  • raejuneraejune Member Posts: 8
    How much is your OTD? I think it's very fair price at Texas. Would you mind give me the name of the dealer?
    Thanks!
  • kiranumakiranuma Member Posts: 6
    I purchased RAV4 Limited V6, 4WD for 26010+State Tax+Doc fee
    Is it a good/fair/bad/worst deal. Appreciate if you can rate it.

Options:
    Tow Prep Pkg
    Day time RL
    Moon Roof
    Cargo Mats
    Wheel Locks
    Mud Guards

Thanks
  • rsun1rsun1 Member Posts: 5
    Your price is good, only $200 over the invoice.
    I am looking for the simailar RAV4, Please let me know where did you buy this car?

Thanks
  • docmaasdocmaas Member Posts: 4
    Just bought a Nautical Blue Base V6 4WD model with alloys, 6 cd radio, applique, tonneau, rails and mats for $200 over at Bob Bridge Toyota in Renton, WA. Great, fast service. Nice car. Prep could have been a little better but no complaints. Also got the Toyota extension 0 deductible to 7 years 75k miles for $850 after an initial offer of $1150.

Mike

p.s. Read in rav4 forums that the 2008s are on the dock in Portland so dealing might start getting a little easier.
  • sdedmundssdedmunds Member Posts: 13
    I want a 07 Rav 4 Limited V6 4 WD. The only options I care for are the Cargo Mats( You have to get that right?) and the daytime running lights. I am in the metro NY/NJ area (07470 zip).

What price should I try to negotiate for?

I am trying to get internet quotes from 6 dealerships right now. Also, for anyone who is getting internet quotes, I advice you to sign up for grandcentral.com. It is a phone filter. It gives you a new phone number and when people call that number it gets forwarded to your landline or cellphone. But the really cool thing is that when they call you, you can either answer the phone or listen in on the voicemail. It's like having a secretary.
    Hi rsun1. I bought the car in DCH Brunswick Toyota, NJ. The price is 26100, not 26010.

Also, Can someone advise how important/useful is to get Extended Warranty 7years/75 K and maintenance package 4 years 55 K if it is at 1000 each.

Thanks
    Hi sdedmunds, It is hard to get a car in Limited with just DRL and Cargo mats. I think most of the Limted's V6 come with Tow Prep Pkg. The best price would be 300 or 400 less than edmunds invoice with the options. I just bought the car yesterday which is 250 over invoice. If it is not very urgent, I suggest to wait for another 2 weeks, by the time RAV 2008 will be hitting the US roads. Already in canada (http://toyota.ca)

Thanks
    kiranuma,

One of the dealerships I sent out for an internet quote is DCH Toyota. I think we must be in the same area. Did they give you a quote over email or did you walk in?

Also, you mentioned your total was $26,100 which was $250 over invoice. Yet looking at the edmunds invoice with the options you mentioned, it should have come out to $25,350. Did you get some other options or was $26,100 including taxes and registration?

I don't know if I can wait another two weeks. If I do how much of a price reduction will I get? Based on your comments my target price right now is $25,300.
    sdedmunds,
    How did you come up the $25,350? Correct me if I am wrong.
    Following is the invoice $:
    Base: 24,132
    Moon roof: 720
    CF( mats): 126
    Tow : 128
    Day Running light: 32
    Destination: 685
    Total: $25,823

Thanks
    rsun1
    Thanks for the info. I believe you got very good deal. I got quotes, the best one is $400 over invoice.
    About Extender Warranty and maintenance package. I had them on my last car (Honda). To me it is total waste of money.
    rsun1
    Oh I didn't know you were including the moon roof.

I do get $25,823 with the moon roof added. Without the moon roof I am now getting $25,103. I swore it was $25,350 before. All these options and pricing is getting me confused.

Oh because I wanted to pay $200 over invoice. So I want to pay $25,100 + $200 invoice for a Rav4 v6 limited 4WD with tow prep , DRL, and carpets mats (NO moon roof).
    Sdedmunds,
    That is correct, you and me are on the same page now.
    Like you, only options I wanted are TOW and carpets. But seems to me all Limted V6 4x4 always come with moon root and JBL options. Do you have the same issue as I do?
    Please let me know your searching results.

Thanks
    rsun1
  • sutolasutola Member Posts: 1
    Was just at Bob Bridge Toyota tonight and they were only offering their invoice + 2% for the same rav4. Was wondering how you got yours for $200 over?
    Thanks.
    sdedmunds/rsun,

The other options I have is wheel locks and mud guards. Those are $89 and $65 (MSRP price) respectively. So Invoice would be roughly 25950 with all options and accessories. I might have paid 150 more than invoice.

Thanks.
    The break up prices mentioned by rsun are correct. If you get the car for 300 less than Invoice, that would be a great deal. I walked in to the dealer.

Thanks
    need not be, by default it comes with Tow Prep pkg. There are cars w/o JBL and leather + Heated seats also.
  • bigdadi118bigdadi118 Member Posts: 1,207
    Last Saturday saw on newspaper that Boch Toyota in Boston sells "ALL" 07 Rav4 Base L4 AWD automatic trans. with MSRP 23,638 at $18,888. It is a saving of $4,750 from the MSRP. They had about 13 available (black & silver only, is the owner a Raiders fan, lol) I think it is great price so we bought a silver one without any negotiations. Just add on tax, title, registration & $298 doc fee.

Their price is cheapest, buy one then service by my nearest Toy. dealer.
  • leasearav4leasearav4 Member Posts: 15
    Anyone have any info for prices paid in ILL/Chgo area?
  • bigdadi118bigdadi118 Member Posts: 1,207
    Try the 2 big newspapers online : Chicago Tribune & Chicago Sun-Times; under Classifieds > Auto/Car > dealer special in your area. It seems not many specials in Chicago area.

I saw from www.toyota.com Chicago dealers have ...

Grossinger Toy (Chicago), Grossinger Toy North (Lincolnwood) put on paper ad. * 07 Rav4 4x4 Sport $19,995 can't see details on find prints

Thomas Toy (Joliet) put on paper ad. * 07 Rav4 4 cyl. 4x2 Base Auto $19,988 (stock T4167) SOLD - no more in stock.
  • goldie99117goldie99117 Member Posts: 1
    I got a Limited V6 4x4 for about $200 under invoice at Thomas Toyota in Joilet, Il. I got the price by contacting the Internet Manager and bypassing a salesman.I bought the RA4 about one month ago. I didn't trade in my old car which probably helped.
    The Carmax store in Kenosa, Wisconsin also offers about the same prices however the Carmax store is a longer drive from my house.
    Good luck!
    I recommend contacting as many dealerships as possible via the internet and only deal with the internet or sales manager so you can bypass the salesperson. Also know the invoice price as some salespersons will lie about it.
  • srvmsrvm Member Posts: 9
    I live in Sunnyvale, SFO Bay Area, CA and the best quote I received for

Model: 2007 RAV4 with v6, Front Wheel Drive
    Options: 3d row seat + JBL AM/FM 6 CD changer audio+ Tow prep + Fabric seats

was $25,900 OTD (excluding license and taxes). This is close to $1500 discounted from MSRP and $900 above the invoice price.

Please let me know if this best/fair/worst quote.

Please help me to decide.

thanks,
    rvm
    Try Toyota Fremont, their quote is $250-$400 above invoice
  • gunselagunsela Member Posts: 2
    Are there vents for 2nd and 3rd rows in any 2007 or 2008 Raw4 models? I couldn't see any in a 2007 model. If there is really none, isn’t it uncomfortable for back seat passengers? Please share your experiences. Thanks.
  • leasearav4leasearav4 Member Posts: 15
    for the Illinois info....
    I was looking for 2007 RAV4 and looks like 2007 models are almost sold out for the trim I wanted. I got 2008 RAV4 quote.

1. 2008 RAV4 Limited with 3.5 L + V6, Everglade exterior, Fabric seats
    2. Options: 3rd row seat + JBL 6 CD changer + Tow prep

I compared dealer quote with 2008 RAV4 KBB price and 2007 RAV4 Edmunds price (Edmunds's does not have 2008 RAV4 on their site yet). I have heard not much price difference between 2007 and 2008 models, may be couple of hundreds

KBB-invoice(2008) : $25295
    Edmunds-invoice(2007): $25214
    Dealer-invoice(2008) : $25800

I understand I can't do a straight compare with Edmunds as it is 2007 price, but would like to know why there is difference between KBB and the dealer.

I got best quote for $26200 (excluding tax, license fee and documentation fee). This is dealer-invoice + $400, but kbb-invoice + approx $900.

Please let me know if this best/fair/worst quote and help me to decide.

BTW, do any one know what is difference between 2007 and 2008 RAV4 models?

thanks,
    rvm
  • jeffh3jeffh3 Member Posts: 4
    I got a quote from Huntington Toyota in SoCal for a 2007 RAV4 V6 Limited w/EJ, HD, LA, RL, SR and CF for $26,236, excluding tax and license.

What do you guys think about this offer?
  • ginzeroginzero Member Posts: 3
    Longo Toyota
    2007 Rav 4, V6 4x2 Sport, everything except for NAV
    $200 over invoice; $25k and change before tax and license
  • ginzeroginzero Member Posts: 3
    That looks like a good deal for a limited.
    Thanks Ginzero. That quote comes to $234 below invoice. The location I mentioned was not complete. This quote is for Hunting Beach Toyota in So Calif. Really nice guy to deal with so far.
  • ecrottyecrotty Member Posts: 3
    Does anyone have a tip on a good dealership to work with in the Philly to Princeton area in PA/NJ?

So far the best price I have gotten without having to step foot into a dealership in writing has been Conicelli.

On a base 4wd they came out at 21,581.

I'm ready to go - just looking for someone to give me a deal! :)
  • frenzytomfrenzytom Member Posts: 9
    I have dealt with the people from DCH Freehold in NJ and the internet guys are very good. Fair and nice. I got my vehicle from Champion Toyota near Philly and they were good but I would definitely get quotes and faxes from the dealers before you step in the door. Make sure you are talking only with the people who gave you the deal. Don't forget...walk away if they try anything funny.
    Thanks for the tip.

I don't think I tried Champion Toyota yet.

What price / car did you end up getting?
    Please let me know if this best/fair/worst quote.

thanks,
    rvm
  • redecorateredecorate Member Posts: 8
    I sure hope someone answers this question. I want to purchase a 2007 RAV4 Limited V6 3.5 engine with the leather package (2008 are not out here yet). The best price I can seem to get from the dealers is about 29,500 which includes sales tax, and tags. Is this a decent price. I was hoping for arount 28,000 but haven't been able to get that price. Then I saw on this site where someone was getting one for under 26K -- am I getting ripped off.
  • frenzytomfrenzytom Member Posts: 9
    ecrotty, I posted this awhile back in message #1373. Here is my specs:

07 RAV4 V6 4WD Classic Silver
    Black Roof Rails & Crossbars
    17" Aluminum Alloy Wheels
    Daytime Run Lights
    Third Row
    Tow Prep
    Carpet Floor Mats
    Preferred Portfolio
    Wheel Locks
    Mudguards
    Destination

$24,330 excluding TTL

MSRP $26,854
    Invoice $24,547
    Thanks for the response frenzy.

And DCH is offering a nice deal.. Thanks for the tip.

I may actually take them up on it.
    This was the best quote I gotten -- it was an internet quote -- everyone else wanted about 29K before tax and tags. I'm think now that maybe I need to just wait for a month or so until the 2008 come out in this area.
    I'd think that it also depends on how many remaining 2007 RAV4's are around your area. My quote was $26,236 before tax, lic, etc. I'm estimating that the OTD price for me will be around $28.6K to $28.7K. It's for a 2007 Limited V6 FWD with leather seats, heated seats, sunroof/moonroof, daytime running lights, carpets/floor mats and JBL audio system.
    There are several still in the area. Not in the color that I want plus seems to be a lack of V6 4x4 with leather. So do you think the fewer there are the higher the price?