Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Toyota RAV4 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    allurenycallurenyc Member Posts: 3
    I just purchased a 2006 Limited 4WD RAV4 in silver with side curtain airbags, remote start, floor mats, daytime running lights, wheel locks as options and final price excluding tax was $24,550. I got $5440 for my trade in and was taxed on the remaining amount (with added fees like registration, etc). Did I get away with a decent deal?
  • Options
    dave59dave59 Member Posts: 23
    Can you tell me what MSRP was? Thanks
  • Options
    MSRP was $25,927.
  • Options
    dave59dave59 Member Posts: 23
    Thanks. I like the RAV4, and my kids do also. I getting serious about pricing. I looked about a month ago and the dealer wouldn't budge off MSRP.
  • Options
    I initially went to this dealer about a week and a half ago and wasn't pleased with the value they placed on my trade in (99 Civic with only 46,000 miles, never had any mechanical issues, all original parts)so I took the guy's card and left. A few days later I got a letter from them and decided to go back to see if they would budge and they ended up bumping the trade in value by almost $1000 and then we negotiated the final price. I can't help thinking that I still could have done better but I'll probably think that no matter how low they went.

What threw me was they only had 2 silver Limited on stock, one with heated leather seats with an MSRP of $26,600 (and a few dollars more) and the one I got at an MSRP of $25,927. They were trying to push me to get the leather one and the manager was willing to knock off the amount of the leather heated seats (about $1200 - maybe slightly more, I forget). But I wasn't interested in leather seats.
  • Options
    slra03slra03 Member Posts: 3
    Which dealer did you go to and how much did you pay? I am from mass too. I am interested in V6. But considering the dealer quotes, I am re-thinking abt a V4.
  • Options
    Which dealer did you go to?
  • Options
    rcf8000rcf8000 Member Posts: 619
    I would like to purchase a '06 RAV4 in the Central Connecticut area. I'm short on time as my inherited Chevy Blazer dropped its transmission. Anyone out there buy (and get a decent deal)around here? Thanks
  • Options
    ralimarralimar Member Posts: 1
    Thought I'd check in.. Picking up a Flint Mica Rav4 Sport 4wd 4cyl on Saturday... MSRP was 25,039, and I got the local dealer down to 23,500 before making the deal. Live in Northeast Wisconsin... Really excited to try it in the new snow we got!
  • Options
    greg54greg54 Member Posts: 3
    It's interesting to see how everyone wrestles with the big three: CR-V, Forester, and RAV4. I find everyone's input really valuable.

My questions:

RAV4 in the state of Washington (actually Seattle or Spokane, Washington), has anyone had any experience with dealerships in this area?

I have read so much stuff in the last week, my head hurts. I could really use some input on this last question:

Is the RAV4, 4 cylinder, a car anyone could live with or is the 6 cylinder engine really the thing to do and wait for. I get some kind of greed thing going when I think of the power the 6 cylinder offers, but is that truly worth the money. Yes, I would love to have the power; I'd love to have a Masarrati for that matter. But I need folks on this forum to help me get real.

I am also looking at the Forester (not the turbo, yet) and the CR-V.

I want to put $5,000 down and try to finance about $20,000. I have a trade-in, but it is not going to hardly garner me anything.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  • Options
    onetuffgrrlonetuffgrrl Member Posts: 1
    Looking for a best price on this configuration...anybody have any deals they'd like to share? Or good dealers that didn't rip you off in Chicago/suburbs?

RAV4 V6 LTD 4x4 with these features:

Silver, ash interior.

leather seats

Heated seats

Moonroof

Roof rack, which I believe is standard.

Driver side/passenger side airbags
  • Options
    hoticeteahoticetea Member Posts: 8
    Which dealer did you go to? thx :P
  • Options
    cynthia8cynthia8 Member Posts: 5
    I am in Seattle and have been considering the CRV and RAV4. The CRV did not have enough leg room for me - I'm tall with long legs so I am going with the RAV4

I test drove a 4cyl 4x4 base model at Bob Bridge donw in Renton last weekend. I liked it a lot. I had also been debating the 4 vs. 6 but after the test up and down hils in the wilds of Renton, I think the 4 has plenty of power and pick-up for me. Interestingly, I've talked with 2 salesmen at different dealers and both (without prompting) said they thought the 6 might have too much power for the size (not sure if this was just to compensate that they didn't have an 6's yet)

I probabaly won't go with Bob Bridge - salesman lied and said he could get me a manual transmission if I wanted one (they don't make for the US market). I have also spoken with Rodland Toyota in Everett - they seem pretty nice and straightforward - they follow-up but no pressure. I have scheduled a test drive with them tomorrow and plan to look at things a lot more closely.

Hope this helps!
  • Options
    thecatthecat Member Posts: 535
    "the 6 might have too much power for the size"

How can that be possible. The Corvette has 500+ hp is much smaller. Can you ever have too much power?
  • Options
    jimd4jimd4 Member Posts: 877
    Yes the sales persons are a little silly at times. I had a lady tell me I could have the car in 3 weeks as the V6s are made in Tennesee with the Avalons! No such place.
  • Options
    I will change and start writing bad things about the V6 I guess if I ever want to get one for less than MSRP. Just kidding.
    But some people(a lot of them I hope... :P ) will find the V6 more than they need or want. And yes throttle tip in is high and if you touch it too much................OFF YOU GO! That part made me smile on Friday nite test drive.
  • Options
    thecatthecat Member Posts: 535
    "start writing bad things about the V6 I guess if I ever want to get one for less than MSRP"

Actually, I have a deposit on a loaded V6 Ltd. with Fitzgerald at $1,800 below MSRP. So, it can be done. I have no doubt that once the initial feeding frenzy is over pricing on all of the RAV4's will get normalized.
  • Options
    pnwsailorpnwsailor Member Posts: 1
    I've done a bit of research and since I can't get the Limited without the moonroof and a bunch of other options - and I only want leather seats - it looks like I might have to order one. Any ideas on how long it would take and what a dealer normally asks for as a deposit? If I just order one will I have any leverage with the dealer when it comes to the "out the door" price?
  • Options
    vilivviliv Member Posts: 11
    has anyone had any experience with dealerships in Miami-Ft Lauderdale?
  • Options
    sb770sb770 Member Posts: 1
    Hey all,

I am in Eastern North Carolina and the Toyota Dealerships here don't seem to be negotiating on RAV4s. They are receiving 2 or 3 RAVs at a time and they seem to be flying out of the dealerships. Customers are actually paying MSRP for them! I've checked with 6 different dealers so far. And, there aren't any V6s to be had here either. The dealers are saying they haven't even been released yet, but we know better. Have any of you had a different experience in NC?
  • Options
    andrelaplumeandrelaplume Member Posts: 934
    If you are on the cheap, this vehicle can be had for 21.2K out the door here in Eastern PA. You get everything the base RAV has except it is a bit smaller and looks more like a wagon. Still, that about $3K -$4K less than you will pay for the RAV at this point
  • Options
    We ordered a Rav4 4x4 V6 base model for $23800 excluding taxes. MSRP $25500. Not sure if it is a good deal.

Also, looks like the V6 models started to come in. I had a dealer asking me to come in for a test drive.

Thanks!
  • Options
    purduealum91purduealum91 Member Posts: 285
    on a Limited 4X4 4 cyl with moon roof, DRL, Side Air, Leather Seats, Seat Heaters, Autodimm Mirror for $24,900. $700 UNDER invoice. Dealer is in NJ. Email me if you want details.
  • Options
    toga333toga333 Member Posts: 11
  • Options
    toga333toga333 Member Posts: 11
    We just took delivery of our new RAV today!
    06 Silver, 4cyl AWD Sport
    options: sunroof, 6cd changer, mats, wheel locks.
    MSRP $25,411, we paid $500 under MSRP. Very few deals to be had on any RAVs in our area (Albany NY), so we took this deal before waiting lists began. Toyota has began advertising heavily on this new vehicle and we could not wait till summer when supply may meet demand.
  • Options
    joyce5joyce5 Member Posts: 7
    I had been getting quotes from dealers in Phoenix. Finally found a dealer I liked and we conversed over the internet. He had an 06 RAV4, Limited, with all the options for $28,488.00. He sent me all the break downs and every option and the price of the vehicle were all MSRP. He would not negotiate so I am still without my RAV4. Is Toyota making an effort to limit the number of RAV4 4cyl in anticipation of selling the 6cyl for big bucks? How difficult is it to buy a car out of state and bring it home. Do you have to pay for license fees in both states? Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Joyce
  • Options
    kremerbkremerb Member Posts: 7
    Got lured up to Elway Toyota to do a test drive on a V6. Said they had two... turned out they had zero. Except for the sold V6 they were prepping for a customer. They were so enthusiastic to want to sell one to me that they pushed me to Test the sold vehicle anyway. I ended up buying one, but not from them.

Made the plunge... got a Silver one with the JBL stereo upgrade, wheel locks, Side/Curtain airbags, tonneau/cargo net, car mats, daytime running lights, and tow package. $26,124. SHOP AROUND, BE PATIENT, and be willing to go outside your local area. I put out 25 - 30 queries via the Toyota website. Got some really, really bad offers ("Only sell at MSRP"), and got some really, really good standouts: Broadway Toyota of Portland (OR) and Mountain States Toyota of Denver.

On the bad side... the Elway dealership said they had a GUARANTEE to "meet and beat any price ... even after the sale" (yes, those are quotes) and even put that guarantee IN WRITING. Gladly accepted my $1000 credit card charge to hold a future vehicle (since they were out of stock) and promised invoice + $700. Turns out that in Elway's math, it actually equalled invoice + $1099.

Found a better price for a vehicle in stock at another dealership, and Elway refused to either meet or beat the price, AND, they refused to credit my card back. Why? Well, they felt they met their "meet and beat any price even after the sale" becuase (again, quotes) "we feel we fulfilled that guarantee because we made a good faith effort to negotiate with you." That little philosophy somehow failed to show up in their written guarantee. Un-flippin' believable... like it won't be hard to dispute that credit card charge.

I'm working with a consumer advocacy program to go after them, but felt this forum should be forewarned of doing business with them -- at least until they make amends.
  • Options
    drummerboy_200drummerboy_200 Member Posts: 44
    Well 3 weeks ago I thought I was getting a Rav in Everglade Metallic. Unfortunately, the unwillingness of other dealerships wanting to trade with my dealer had me waiting until an equivelant Rav was delivered to my dealer from port. I finalized my deal yesterday for the same model, options and price, but in Savannah Metallic. It looks much better than Toyota's pics. Dealer is Conyers Toyota in Conyers, GA. (25 miles SE of Atlanta)
  • Options
    dw566dw566 Member Posts: 3
    At what dealer in NJ did your brother get the RAV4? I've been out shopping & sounds like he got a GREAT deal!
  • Options
    soopereddsooperedd Member Posts: 32
    Ordered my new Rav4 from Liberty Toyota in Colorado Springs. V6 Loaded Limited in Barcelona Red.
    MSRP-$30800
    Got it for $28800.

That is the best deal I could find after contacting every Toyota dealer in the state. Some wanted more than MSRP!

Just have to wait til it comes in!
  • Options
    ravingravravingrav Member Posts: 3
    Got the new Rav4 Base front wheel drive 4 Cyl model with 17 inch steel wheels, wheel locks, mats roof rack & Daytime running lights.

MSRP=$21,471
    Invoice=20,175
    Price paid=20,600
    Bogus fees=45

Value of trade=7,000-7,500
    Value received=8,100

When I came to pick up the car they tried to renegotiate the trade because the salesperson was drunk & screwed up (which he was & did) but i refused & given that I got the contract countersigned by management they ended up delivering.

Actual gas mileage to date - 2 fill ups just about 24MPG 60% highway.
  • Options
    kschirokschiro Member Posts: 1
    I'd be grateful if you could provide the contact details of this dealer please.
    Thanks
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,198
    "You may include the dealership name, city and state in your post. Please do not post names of salespeople, telephone numbers, email addresses, or other contact information."

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    You do not get to "order one" in the traditional sense. Each region decides what option will come in option packages for cars the region. You have to pick one of those groups. If you go to the Toyota site and enter your zip code in Build and Price, you will see the models that come to your region. That is it. You may find other regions that have options more to your liking. For example, in NY where I am you cannot buy a Sport v6 with side curtain bags. But you can buy it in MD which is 3 hours away.
  • Options
    jeffworkjeffwork Member Posts: 20
    My region shows only the V6 Limited 4 X 4 but my dealer has a V6 Limited 4 X 2 sitting on his lot. I was also told they could get whatever I wanted, not quite ready to do it yet though.
  • Options
    radar51radar51 Member Posts: 2
    Just put a deposit down on a V6 at Fox Lake Toyota - 4x2 with clothe, airbags, sunroof, towing package and floor
    mats - MSRP $26,904 price $25,000. I also had a quote on the same but with leather and heated seats - MSRP $28,394 price $26,500. They also offered me $1,000 more on trade in versus what Libertyville Toyota offered, and their price was over $1,500 better. They are a brand new dealer (previously Evanston Toyota), and seem to have the best inventory on V6. they were a pleasure to deal with. If you want any more infor let me know.
  • Options
    dk168dk168 Member Posts: 2
    kremerb,
    Thanks for sharing your price info. After reading few messages from this forum, it gave me a pretty good idea as how much I should be paying for a V6 Limited; especially your message. Do you mind telling me which dealer you got your Rav from for $26,124? I think you've gotten a pretty good deal. I would like to get a V6 Limited. Thanks.
  • Options
    so4reelzso4reelz Member Posts: 1
    John Elway Toyota tried to pull the $1000 deposit over the phone w/ me as well. Good thing I called Burt Toyota, and he told me that is crazy, I have never even met the guy. One good thing that came out of it though, Burt dropped $300 and held the car for me for 4 days (all verbal). If you're in the Denver area, I highly recommend Burt. Mountain States was a bit flaky in my experience.
  • Options
    I've found these message boards very help so I thought I'd pass my buying experience - I'm in Seattle, WA

I just made a deal for a Sport model 4x4 I-4. I contacted several dealers via the Internet and visted a few more to take test drives. Some dealers would not budge off MSRP but I got 3 quotes under MSRP. The best offer was $1300 off MSRP.

I may have left a little money on the table but in general, I'm pretty happy with my buying experience. The sales person was very professional and upfront.
  • Options
    yoyodkyoyodk Member Posts: 28
    I've been lurking for a few weeks, just doing my due diligence as my purchase time frame is still a few months away. Since I live near Seattle, I have to ask if you can name which dealers were sticking to MSRP and which gave you the best deals. Also, which dealers provided the best test drive experience?

I've seen a post on the Pilot board that rated the Puget Sound Honda dealers, but I have not seen a comparable one for Toyota dealers.... :confuse:
  • Options
    delawheredelawhere Member Posts: 2
    Bought an 06 RAV4 Base in Philadelphia area (internet sale) with an almost standard option package: side-curtain airbags, etc.; cover and cargo net; roof rack; running lights, floor mats; 17" wheels and wheel locks.
    MSRP: $23,653;
    CR Invoice: @$21,475;
    Edmunds TMV: $22,880
    CR Bottom Line; @$21,041
    Price paid: $21,875 (+T&T).
    $1800 under sticker; $834 over CR bottom line :)
  • Options
    dnau12dnau12 Member Posts: 4
    I made a deal on a Rav 4 limited, 4 x 4 , 4 cylinder, with option package A. (moon roof, air bags, JBL stereo) The price was $24,695. I think it's a decent deal, but the dealer can't find me a vehicle. My wife is holding out for pacific blue color which is making it tough. I live near Portland, OR. Anyone have any input or idea when the log jam might break on the 4 cylinders?

Thanks

Dennis
  • Options
    purduealum91purduealum91 Member Posts: 285
    St Charles Toyota in St Charles, IL. Got my 4cyl 4x4 Limited Evergalde Metallic there.
  • Options
    I purchased from Rodman Toyota in Everett. The best in-person experiences were Rodman and Lake City (in-person). The best Internet experiences were Michael's (Bellevue) and Toyota of Puyallup. Rodman, Michael's and Toyota of Puyallup were willing to deal and were really the only ones I negotiated with.

I also test drove at Michaels but they are a volume dealer and have a huge bull-pen of aggressive sales guys. I would buy from the Internet Sales guy but not in-person. The guy at Bob Bridge where I also test drove lied about a couple of things (like being able to order a manual transmission) and started negotiating in the middle of the test drive after I said I was only looking.

Burien, Downtown Toyota and Kirkland seemed to have the highest prices. After telling him EXACTLY what I wanted, the guy at Downtown Toyota kept coming back with the wrong configuration and would I be interested.

The salesman at Rodman told me that the area dealers were becoming more flexible on price (up to a point). If I kept the game going a little more between the 3 dealers, I might have gotten a few more dollars off but I was tired of the whole process.

Hope this helps!
  • Options
    yoyodkyoyodk Member Posts: 28
    Thanks, much obliged for the great information. Too bad about Bob Bridge because they are the closest to me, but this isn't the first time I've heard about them and their hard sells. I didn't even know about Rodman so I'll definitely keep them in mind when I'm ready to buy.
  • Options
    evergladedevergladed Member Posts: 2
    MSRP: $30,014
    Paid before tax & reg: $28,029

Ltd, Everglade V6, 4WD, JBL, airbags, heated seats, leather, daytime running lights, Moonroof, mats

Did not require a lot of haggling...did not pre-order, visited the dealership a month ago, told them what I wanted and the salesguy did a good job of follow-up.

Called AutosDirect prior to my purchase and they told me I would pay MSRP for the next 6 months.
  • Options
    I was offered a RAV4 V6 Sport or Limited V6 that were on the dealer's lot last week in NY for $500 over invoice after some discussion starting with $500 under MSRP.

The Sport did not have the curtain airbags which apparently not comeing to NY. Both cars were otherwise loaded except for no DVD, leather and 3rd seat on Limited. My dealer has a i4 limited that has been sitting there for a month now.
  • Options
    beth10beth10 Member Posts: 15
    Midwest Toyota in Hutchinson, KS sold me a V6 limited 4x4 w/ a 3rd row seat for $500 over invoice plus the Toyota Dealer Advertising fee of $425. It'll take 10 weeks to come in. Looks like Fitzmall doesn't pass along the TDA, but from previous posts, it sounds like it's a legitimate charge.

They were very good to deal w/--also gave me a very fair price on my trade-in.
  • Options
    Where are you located & what Dealer did you go to?
  • Options
    I am in PA. Where is your dealer?