Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota RAV4 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• kkrtrekkkrtrek Member Posts: 51
    There is a separate thread on the I4 vs. V-6. You should look at that. In addition, here are my thoughts after driving the (new, 2009) I4 for two months.

The I4 is more than sufficient for anything we need, and the engine and transmission seem very nicely matched. My recommendation would be to consider the V6 if you want to drive your RAV like a sports car or if you are doing almost exclusively high-speed freeway driving. I find my I4 is up to the freeway driving, but the mileage seems to suffer at high speeds (by which I mean like cruising at 70 or more).

I am very happy with my 4-cylinder. I drove the V6 and was not as impressed as I expected to be. That's not a knock on it, it just didn't impress me enough to merit the extra cost and slight dropoff in mileage. Then again, my other car is an Acura TL. :)

We have the AWD, since one of the reasons for the purchase was to feel more secure in driving to winter sports areas like ski resorts and cross-country ski locales. I have no recommendation of the AWD vs the FWD.
  • blueman4blueman4 Member Posts: 7
    The laws of economics have been turned on their head. I have been working the SF Bay Area dealers to get a reasonable price on a Rav4 Ltd V6. I was getting very frustrated that my local dealer, Toyota Sunnyvale, refused to consider anything at or below their invoice price (seems like most people here are able to get $200-400 below dealer invoice). I was working with their internet sales dept. Here is what Toyota Sunnyvale wrote when I pressed for a price below their invoice::

.... As the economy has slowed all businesses have less opportunities to create revenue. If we're used to having 10 customers a month to cover our overhead and now we're getting 7 we have to charge more per customer just to stay open. If the economy continues to slow the prices will go up, not down. That's just the law of supply and demand. When there is alot of demand you have to be more competitive to play.

Uh, price goes up when demand goes down? That is a new one!!

I did finally find a dealer, Putnam, in the north bay who agreed to go $500 under invoice for the exact same car. The odd thing is that when I presented Toyota Sunnyvale with the email offer from Putnam to sell at $500 under invoice, Toyota Sunnyvale still refused to budge to anything approaching invoice.

So it does pay to shop around.

And not shop at Toyota Sunnyvale if you want a good price!
    The entire process of shopping for my RAV astonished me. It was quite apparent most dealers when faced with the choice of (1.) selling me a RAV that was not going to be sold to anyone else for a $1000 profit or (2.) NOT SELLING me a RAV at a $2500 profit choose (2.). I just don't get it. I think part of it is Toyota arrogance.

The dealer I purchased from swapped (or purchased it) from a dealer 10 miles away. The dealer that had the car would not budge from a price that was more than $2000 above what we bought it for. How do they even stay in business? In addition, there were two or three minor options (like cargo net) that were on the car and never showed up in the pricing, so we got them for free. Didn't really want them, but no cost anyway. Sometimes I think the only way the dealers make money is totally in spite of themselves.
    The people at Toyota Sunnyvale really surprised me with their unwillingness to negotiate. In my experience, all good dealers will make a good faith effort to meet (or get close to) another dealer's bona fide price. Luckily, as others reminded me, I can just call around and drive a little more and save a lot of $$. In this case, I saved $800 by driving 25 minutes vs 5 minutes. Worth it.

Thanks to those on this forum who reminded me to keep searching until I found a dealer who would deal.
  • grandtotalgrandtotal Member Posts: 1,207
    If you deduct about 7% from the MSRP of the base car and 16% from the MSRP of the option package you will get very close to dealer cost.

Don't expect a huge discount on RAV4 though because, believe it or not, sales of RAV4 were up 16% in February over a year ago.
  • ep5ep5 Member Posts: 1
    I'd recommend what I bought. A Rav4 V6, 4wd, base model. The car even at sticker price seems to be a good value (i.e. priced near v6 fwd sedans), and of course you won't be paying sticker. I think when I bought my 2007 in 2007 that it was near invoice. The gas mileage is good, about 18-20 mpg city, 27 highway. It has alot of power which makes it fun to drive. I'd recommend the 4 wd. I don't think 4wd is that much more.
    Feature wise is good even at the base level. I think it is well built, though the paint does seem to get rock chips easily.
    Overall, I don't think it can be beat for the money. The room, the quality, the acceleration and braking at all very good. I do wish the seats and the headrests were more comfortable. I bought the extended warranty, so I'll be driving it 7 yrs, 100K miles.
  • mazda626atxmazda626atx Member Posts: 227
    I became friendly with a sales manger very near me who would not sell me a car at better than $1000 over invoice. He said he was getting that price , why lower it. When I bought the exact same car for approx $1300 less than he wanted , he said bravo you got a good deal.
    We became friends and he was not that surprsed that I got my car for the price I paid .

I guess that proves that not all dealers are in the same financial position , and some can afford to be more firm in their pricing than others.

The moral of the story is, find the motivated dealer.SHOP SHOP SHOP till there are no dealers left in the area that you are willing to travel to, and DO NOT BE SUPRISED by the difference in price.

In my case the dealer where I bought it ,was only about 25 miles from my house .
  • a_ba_b Member Posts: 4
    I visited 4 dealers, last day of the month in February, cash on the table, no financing needed. The best price I could get on a 4 cyl base 4WD with a 3rd row seat and extra value package was 22,900. I had also received about 5 email responses and everyone was within a few hundred dollars. I waited to see what the March incentives would be (no rebate in CT, just a lease deal) and went to the closest dealer since they had the color I wanted. I was expecting these guys to deal and they really didn't. I have to admit though, most of the dealerships were busier than I would have expected given the economy. Oh well, I'm happy with every aspect of the car. The mileage (I'm averaging 26.3 mpg combined) is better than I expected.
  • greggster59greggster59 Member Posts: 3
    Yesterday we picked up a 2008 6cyl/4 WD Limited model with leather, heated seats, JBL CD, moonroof, mudguards, tow prep and carpet mats for $27,000 out the door. The deal included trading in my wife's 2000 Outback Legacy w/ 128k miles. Her mechanic told us the Suburu was shot and offered us $900 so he could fix it up for his daughter.

The kicker is that I did a ton of research (Consumer's, Edmunds, etc.) on only the 2009 models so still have no idea if we got a good deal or a great deal. Can anyone tell us?

Thanks in advance.
    Quote by grandtotal: "Don't expect a huge discount on RAV4 though because, believe it or not, sales of RAV4 were up 16% in February over a year ago"

This figure was for Canada market. In the US, Rav4 sales are down 16% for the month and 23% for the year.
  • rengawrengaw Member Posts: 22
    Without getting into the V6 vs. I4 debate, I will give you a brief discription of my decision making.

My wife and I first drove the 2.4 I4 in a 2007 model RAV and we liked it well enough. Then just a couple months ago, we drove a new V6 and were completely blown away by it's power and good fuel economy for the size motor. So, we decided that was the one we wanted. Then later we drove the new 2.5 I4 and we changed our minds completely. My wife will be the primary driver and she said the V6 was way more than she wanted and the new 2.5L she liked a little better. We both thought the I4 RAV danced a little better on the curvy roads due to it being a little lighter up front. Of course, the extra $2000 more for the V6 was a contributing factor also.

The previous gap between the 6 cylinder and 4 cylinder has been closed somewhat with the new 2.5 I4. The 2.5 has 13 more horsepower than the old 2.4, YET gets 12.8% better gas mileage, so says Toyota, than the old 2.4. The fact is they are both wonderful engines and you will be able to help your buying decision by driving them. I drove about 6 different RAV's because I wanted to be sure. I went on freeways, on curvy roads, up mountains, and in traffic.

Don't be deterred from buying the I4 over its 4 speed transmission. The 4 speed is just fine and is stronger and gets better gas mileage than the Honda CRV with a 4cyl and 5 speed tranny.

If you tow over 1500 lbs, want a really fast vehicle, and got the $2,000, the V6 is for you. The major complaint with the V6 is torque steer, especially in the FWD model. And on slippery roads be very gentle on the gas peddle with the V6 because it comes out of it's socks in a hurry.
  • magoonmagoon Member Posts: 32
    Follow up to my prior post:

Bought a 2009 RAV4 Sport V6 for invoice less the $500 rebate.
    OK, sanity prevails! I was set to drive about 30 miles up to Putnam Toyota in the SF Bay Area because my local dealer, Toyota Sunnyvale, was not meeting the Putnam price. Well, it turns out Toyota Sunnyvale did agree to meet the price after all. All I had to do was email them the VIN number to show the car was in stock at Putnam and the price they gave me, and Toyota Sunnyvale met the price.

Just came home with our 2009 Blizzard Pearl RAV4 with QY package and V6. Man, does that car have acceleration!! Scary fast!
    Congratulations on your new RAV. I did get a lot of mileage out of that email though. Guess the law of demand has not been repealed after all--at least not in the Bay Area.
  • funguy123funguy123 Member Posts: 94
    Hi Blueman4,

Did you bought your car for $500 under invoice before the rebate or after? I am confuse when people say $x under invoice, is that before the rebate or after?

(1) If it was after than Final Price = Invoice - $500 + TTL
    (2) if it was before than Final Price = Invoice - $500 - $750* + TTL

Which one is true?

Thank you for your help.

*In my area Rebate is $750 for RAV4.
  • helmet6309helmet6309 Member Posts: 2
    Hi. I need help. I am located in Long Island and am looking to buy a Rav4 V6 Sport. I was given an internet price that seems pretty good to me. The accessories it has are FE DR DJ RL SR TO CF and MF. The internet price given to me through a costco program is $26,010. Is this a fair price? I am looking to purchase this weekend. Thank you in advance for any advice.
    Just at first blush any car that has SR RL in my opinion is not taking advantage of the QZ or QY or any other extra vale package.
    When the SR and RL are separate they cost a lot more than the EXTRA value packages that include them plus other options for approx $2000 less .
    The QY package costs $1360 if I remember correctly.It includes SR RL and LA for less than the first 2 .

If you add up the individual parts of it it they cost $33XX.xx
    What is the DJ option?

Pm me for my dealer who is in Long Island , but if you are in such a rush I feel that you put yourself at risk of geting robbed
  • helmet6309helmet6309 Member Posts: 2
    Confused. From what I understand, the only value package offered on what im looking for is the QX. You seem to know alot about the packages but you don't know what DJ is. How is that? Edmunds shows its a 6 cd changer. Whos your dealer on LI? I'd gladly contact them.

Thanks.
    There was no rebate on this car. Not sure if that is due to California or if the packages (Ltd, PC, QY, V6) prevented rebate eligibility.

So I got $500 under without any rebates.
  • vliu13vliu13 Member Posts: 33
    I just had my alarm installed. I looked under the dashboard where the brakes and accelerator are. I can see the wires and air vent, etc. Is there suppose to be a cover?
  • vliu13vliu13 Member Posts: 33
    The RAV4 has QY and QZ for the Limited. Sports edition has the QX. It is strange that the car doesn't come with QX (cheaper and better). It might be that a past consumer wanted those specific configurations but bailed last minute.
    The first 2009s taht were shipped did not have the Extra Value packages QY QZ etc, If you go to the Fitzmall site you will see ( If they have not been sold ) similar ( MSRP) cars with a $2000 invoice difference. It said $2000 promotion on the stickers of the early Extra value cars .
    I thought that all the later build cars had some kind of extra value package .
    If you look back in my old posts you will see where I discovered this $2000 rebate via the QZ QY whatever package Toyota started later on.
    I pointed this out in the forum , and to a salesman who did not know about it.

IMHO I would think that any car with out this package is an early build , which you can request or find out from the vin # and was pre this in the Limited at least , $2000
    creative discount .
  • eyesportseyesports Member Posts: 9
    mazda626atm: which dealer in Long Island did you use?
    Salesman's name?
  • marksj1marksj1 Member Posts: 20
    Anyone go thro the same dilemma? I live in a rural area.Nearest Hyundi dealer is 45 mi away.However there is 1 Toyota dealer 15 mi away 1, 22 mi and 1, 45 mi.I am worried about service and troulble.I am trading in a 06 CR-V which was supposed to be really good but we have had nothing but problems.Any help?
    PM me and I will give you the info . There is a salesperson there to avoid , and a good guy there to ask for.
    I would give him a heads up before you go if you Private message me .
    Also do your homework first, and I can call the manager and make sure he doesnt try to put something over on you. I bought the car with a detective friend of mine , so we get a little respect out there.
    But have your numbers ready
    Hey Pal I am not a Toyota saleman . I am trying to help out people in this forum, like I was helped out in the months before I bought my car.
    Since I dont know what the DJ option is , as I should know according to you, I guess I dont know who my dealer is either.
    Find out for yourself
    Vliu ,
    In me experience the ealry Ravs did not have the Q packages . On the Fitzmall site the early cars had all the options listed individually.
    I think when Toyota saw they were having a problem selling these cars they started the Q packages and the sticker said $2000 discount on it .
    If you check the Vin numbers, I think any car without the Q package is a very early build and has a $2000 higher MSRP for comparable equipment when listed separately.
    I found my car with a MSRP $30,929 at Fitz with the QY and MSRP $32xx,xx for an identical model that was produced earlier, with RL SR LA JBL RADIO etc separately . That is the point I am trying to make :)
    If I could figure out how to PM you on Edmunds.com, I would. But, I can't find any link to PM you. I do have all the numbers for what we're going to get. I've contacted a few local dealers this weekend, I heard back (with their best numbers) from one so far. Just can't figure out how to PM on this site.
  • santoshmanyasantoshmanya Member Posts: 12
    Hi,

I have Rav4 base quote from South East toyota dealer for $18755+tax+tag+title+dest charges.

I want to know is it a good deal or not.................

or Shall I wait for year end sale
  • dima1dima1 Member Posts: 19
    Did anyone get or see a RAV4 Limited 4wd with a 3rd row seating? On Toyota's website I do not see a way on how to configure a 3rd row with a Limited. ( base model only ).
    Does such a configuraton exsists, or is it special order only?
  • consumerwiseconsumerwise Member Posts: 26
    Here we go - I PAID for the Consumer information regarding the 2009 RAV4!

MSRP Base = 21,500 (add $745 destination charge) TOTAL = $22,245
    DEALER PAID = $20,848

Consumer information said to start negotiating @ $20,418 - I'd say you got one heck of a deal! Right now $500 cash back offer but keep in mind - I quoted only BASE - there are 6 LEVELS of this vehicle - Base being cheapest - the others are as follows:

Sport $23,955 MSRP; $22,437 Dealer invoice (sug. start price $21,973)
    Base V6 $24,280; $22,748, $22,277
    Limited: $25,235; $23,641, $23,151
    Limted V6: $27,155, $25,438, $24,910
    Keep in mind - There are dealer holdbacks ranging from $430 - $528 included in the sug. start price for negotiating and I did add in the destination charge on all above $745).

Also keep in mind - you'll NEVER find a base model. They all have something added to them. The QV Base L4 Extra Value Package is $108/$120 and includes 17' alloy wheels, roof rack, privacy glass but I did notice some OR in the literature also has daytime running lights and I think car mats. It can all be very confusing when it comes down to the actual price of these.

Good luck!
    I read online somewhere to avoid the 3rd row seating - uncomfortable and not user friendly - but I do not know this from personal experience.
  • praravprarav Member Posts: 2
    Hi All,
    I am member here for few months but writing first time.

Someone has asked almost the same Question here before I think. But I am asking again.

Ok here is what the details are..
    I want to know if it is a good deal or not???

2008 AWD I-4 Fully Loaded
    -Daytime running lights
    -Floor mats
    -Leather seats
    -Heated front seats
    -JBL premium sound w/6 disk in dash CD changer
    MSRP: $29,169
    Invoice: $26185

I am in 6% Tax state
    Tag Tax is around $225
    Processing Fee $100

this is what I am getting

Price: $23,938.00
    Tax: $1,436.28
    Tag Title and Fee: $325.00
    OUT OF DOOR: $25,699.28

So the invoice is $26185
    and I am offered: $23940

The color is not one my fav. but I dont hate it either...

What do you guys think?
    Should I go for it or bargain more??
    How much more should I ask them to reduce?

Thanks
    I bought my car at Penn Toyota of Long Island.

You can Google them.

Stay away from the woman salesperson is all I can say.

Try any of the guys as I am not allowed to give out names or phone numbers . Sorry no PM possibilty?

Contact them By email and if you get the woman refuse to do business with her. Ask for sales manager or someone over her, to get another salesperson . I had a problem with her being very pushy and the sales manager asked me if I wanted to change salesperson when he saw I was going to walk out .

I feel certain that if you have a resonable price , and they have the car in stock you will be able to do business with them, as long as you stay away from the Witch ! LOL

The sales manager came down $500 in price , from what the Witch said was his absolutely best offer. Talk to him directly if you can

Let us know
    Turn the headrest around - you'll find it more comfortable.
    The dealer did that right off before I test-drove it when I said something about how uncomfortable the headrest was.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,588
    I've seen that a lot, lately... On a Tiguan in my parking lot, specifically...

But, I'd be worried about the headrest working as intended..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Thanks. I pass by Penn Toyota on Northern Blvd. everyday on the way to work.
    Still trying (without success) how to PM on this site. Clueless over here - can't find the button. Stay away from "the witch" - - - - - - - trying to find out who you used (salesman) as I see you can't post names. Can you PM me the info - perhaps it will pop up - somewhere when I log onto Edmunds.com and sign in. Thanks (what a pain).
    I had posted the name and number of my saleman and I received a notification from the site that that was against their rules.

Are you a member or RAV4world.com forum ? I joined them and get a lot of info there. My name there is RAV4ATHENS in case you are a member . If you are a member there you can PM me .

If we can not figure out a way to communicate legally , I would suggest you go into the USED car dept any day aside from Tues And Thurs and Holler out NO PROBLEM , NO PROBLEM or listen for an asian salesmen who is always saying that.
    Tell him you are a friend of the guy who bought the Black Rav4 3 weeks ago from him .
    I just spoke to him and told him to be aware of someone maybe in next few days
  • praravprarav Member Posts: 2
    No replies?? :(
    IMHO its tough to give an opinion on a 2008. Its very subjective and difficult to compare apples to oranges for me at least .
    Good Luck whatever you decide
  • seminolegalseminolegal Member Posts: 4
    Hi, I'm a first time car buyer. I'm interested in Rav4 Base. I've got a quote for 2009 from a dealer (the precise price including documentary fee, taxes, license/fees): $23,912.

The salesman mentioned he's giving me this price based on Invoice + $100. I feel like this shouldn't be right, because invoice price is $21500, with marketing support from manufacturer ($1000), and I'm in a 7% tax region, this seems way too much to me. What should be a good deal for 2009 Rav4 (the precise price)?

I also noticed there're some new 2008 Rav4 Base in the lot, and it's 0% financing for 36 months. The invoice price for 2008 Rav4 is $19,888 (even though there's no marketing support with it). Any recommendation for the 2008 Rav4 precise price?

Just curious: Are we supposed to pay advertisement fee (That's included in the selling price)? or is it extra profit for dealership? What kind of fee should I avoid? Any other tips with negotiating prices?

Thanks and hope you all have a great weekend!
  • greggster59greggster59 Member Posts: 3
    The quote you posted is pretty close to $100 over invoice with the added tax and fees. You may be able to get the 2008 for a little under invoice if you are patient and persistent.

We got a great deal at a dealership in Morristown, NJ for a 2008 Limited. On paper, we got the vehicle for just a bit under invoice but they overvalued our trade-in by $2000 more than our mechanic said it was worth in it's current state. We never proposed trading in but we weren't getting our desired price on the 2009 and were ready to walk when the salesman brought up the '08 model and then returned with our price including the trade-in. They checked out the old car so I'm fairly sure they priced the trade-in to make the numbers look good on paper and still give us our price.

I would advise deciding on an out-the-door price and start lower to allow room for negotiation. Try and work with an older (read- experienced) sales person as I often find the younger guys more intent on making their nut and less likely to come down in price in order to make the sale. Let the salesman work out the details and don't get caught up in a discussion about any particular fee. As long as your final price works out, you'll be satisfied. Keep it pleasant but be prepared to walk away. Good luck
  • judienjudien Member Posts: 12
    I'm in south california. I just got an offer for 09 RAV4 BASE 2WD 4 cyl. for $20400. The dealer also offers me 6.55% APR for 60 month. Is it a good deal for this car?
  • bp1668bp1668 Member Posts: 2
    hi judien,

does your price include the $500 rebate? also, does your base model include 3rd row seating option?
  • judienjudien Member Posts: 12
    Yes, the $500 rebate is inclusive. The price is for base model with standard equipment, which doesn't include 3rd row seating option. So, how do you think this offer?
  • alamocityalamocity Member Posts: 680
    Did that price include the destination charge? If so that sounds like a good price. In my area the base model runs about $20,980.
  • funguy123funguy123 Member Posts: 94
    Guys,

I am looking for Black (with ash interior) LTD V4 RAV4 (either 4X4 or 2X4) but I can't find it within 200 miles of where i live.

I did found bunch of Black but they all have lite color interior. I have kids so i look for dark interior.

Is that too much to ask?
  • seminolegalseminolegal Member Posts: 4
    I got a quote for 2008 RAV 4 Base model (including tax and everything):
    $23900 with 0%APR financing
    Does it sound right or will I pay too much with this amount?
    I will repeat my earlier comment. It is very subjective what a 2008 car is worth IMHO .
    There is a newer 2.5 Liter engine in the 2009 model and who can put a price on having a year older car, with a significant mechanical change to it.

My crystal ball is broken on this one
  • fitmissfitmiss Member Posts: 13
    Is it 0%APR financing because it is a 2008 or is that a special Toyota is running at the present time?