Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota RAV4 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• vvv0077vvv0077 Member Posts: 2
    No its V4
  • mnguyenmnguyen Member Posts: 5
    I think you are paying too much. I just brought for my wife the same with (silver color) for $26,886 plus tax, title, reg. I lived in OHIO.
  • josievjosiev Member Posts: 4
    When I go to http://buyatoyota.com and put in my ZIP code, the only incentives are for the Tacoma pick-up. I'm hoping for some kind of incentive for the RAV4. Will not have a trade-in. We live in the Seattle area. Are there incentives being offered in other regions, or perhaps they just aren't all posted for August yet.

Does anyone know when the 2010s will be out?
  • ted10375ted10375 Member Posts: 10
    Kansas City region still has $500 RAV4 rebate through 9/8/09. My brother in Houston is getting a $750 rebate on a V6.
  • cls57cls57 Member Posts: 2
    Yes, it is a V6, (2009, RAV4 Base, 4x4)
  • josievjosiev Member Posts: 4
    Okay, our regional August incentives page just got updated, and they're offering $1000 cash back on the RAV4 thru 9/8 in the Seattle area. I was hoping for a low APR, like the 0% APR for 60 months on the 2010 and remaining 2009 Camry.

Still wondering when the 2010 RAV4s will be out...
  • canngacannga Member Posts: 20
    A large local dealer in Southern California is offering me a discount of about $2100 for a 2009 RAV4 Limited V6 4WD.
    However... included in the offer is the following statement:

*** Please note: The offer cannot be combined with the CARS government rebate program. It will be MSRP only with the "Cash for Clunker" Rebate Program!

Basically this dealer seems to be taking advantage of the Clash for Clunker program as well and is pocketing the discount that they would give otherwise.

Has anyone here received a discount IN ADDITION to the money from Clash for Clunker? Thanks in advance.
  • iceyblueiceyblue Member Posts: 3
    I think thats illegal. I thought I read on the official cash for clunkers website that its a separate thing....one being the incentives from dealers and the cash for clunkers being from the gov.

Check here: http://www.cashforclunkersfacts.com/bill-faq

"Q: If dealers are offering cash incentives toward a new car purchase, would that be in addition to this credit?

A: The CARS credit is independent from manufacturer buying incentives. For example, if a car dealer is offering $3,000 off the list price of a car and you qualified for a $4,500 CARS credit from your trade-in, then the total reduction off the MSRP would be $7,500. You should always shop for the best deals before buying a car.

"
  • abzabz Member Posts: 13
    My dealership in Danbury, CT is up to the usual Toyota arrogance thing. I inqured over the weekend as to internet prices for a Toyota RAV4 Limited with 3rd row seat. He replied back that Limited models don't come with 3rd row option (contrary to Toyota's website), but also that sales are so strong with CARS that all models are going for MSRP. I don't need a Toyota that badly. Good luck to anyone else.
  • pjgirl74pjgirl74 Member Posts: 3
    I got the same info from several dealers in SoCal. One emailed me back with an offer for about $1500 off the base model. But when I emailed back that I would also be trading in a clunker under the CARS program, he said they will not combine them. Another local dealer told me over the phone that they also are not combining the CARS program with any discounts. I told both dealers to call me if and when they wanted to offer me a discount off the MSRP -with- the CARS rebate. I am not so impressed.
    Ok so it seems no one is getting double discounts, and all the Toyota dealers are doing this (no discount with Clash/Clunker rebate program) from the beginning of the program, and not just now?

It that's the case, then it would seem they will continue that way until the end of the program. I might have to go ahead and take the deal. $4500 is still quite a bit more than the usual $2000 that is offered.

I do not think the program (OUR tax money!) is supposed to work this way, allowing dealers to double dip, essentially took half of the discount from customers.
  • mnguyenmnguyen Member Posts: 5
    I live in OHIO and I do not have any problem getting the discount with CASH/CLUNKER rebate program. I get the limited I4 for $25,036 plus tax, title, reg.
    No double discounts??? That is ridiculous. Must be a result of supply and demand. Start talking to Toyota dealers outside your local area. Those who want to sell cars WILL deal.
    Yes, I could now re-confirm that major dealers in Southern California REDUCE their discount by a significant amount when you use the cash/clunker program. (They are double dipping the cash/clunker program: Selling more cars AND cut into the customers' discount. All on the customers tax money. Something doesn't seem right, does it? I sure hope the goverment is monitoring this.)

The best offer I've gotten from a discount-friendly dealer here in Los Angeles (one of largest in the world) is about $300 if you use cash/clunker and about $2000 or so if you don't.

Not sure if it's legal but every dealer in Los Angeles is doing it. And there is some sort of pricing scheme (seems somehow so illegal!) going on since the $300 number has been offered to me by 2 different dealers.

Has anyone is Los Angeles gotten better than $300?
  • pjgirl74pjgirl74 Member Posts: 3
    Ok, so I think you might be right about this not being legal. I went onto the CARS official website and in the FAQ section, I found this: "The CARS Act requires the dealer to use the credit under the CARS program in addition to any rebates or discounts advertised by the dealer or offered by the new vehicle's manufacturer. The dealer may not use the credit to offset these rebates and discounts." So when the salesman offered me the discount in his first email to me and then in his second email told me he would not combine it with the CARS program, isn't he in violation of the rules of the program? If so, shouldn't they have to give me the discount and the CARS program?
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,690
    I'm not a lawyer, but I don't think a quote through e-mail is equivalent to an advertised discount.. or a manufacturer rebate.

If a dealer doesn't want to give you the price, along with the CARS program, then I'd just shop elsewhere..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

This may not provide any resolution to those getting screwed, but you can file a dealer abuse complaint on www.cars.gov. What you guys are reporting is definitely not what the govt intended with C4C.

There are a lot of stories coming out now that prices are rising because C4C got more $$$ and the dealerships are running out of cars.
  • sporin71sporin71 Member Posts: 27
    While it is absolutely against the rules for a dealer to refuse you a "Cash to Customer" rebate if you use C4C as well, remember that "Cash-to-Dealer" and "Marketing Support" rebates are NOT something you are automatically entitled to, they are at the discretion of the dealer and therefore they can choose to not offer you any or all of that if they want.
  • funguy123funguy123 Member Posts: 94
    I am not a big fan of C4C program.

I think the reason Dealers are doing this because $4500 that you get is counts as profit for dealer (i.e they have to pay income tax on $4500). Which i think would be around $1800.

No dealer is going to loose $1800 and offer you other discounts as well.

Guys, this is a game from government. When they say $4500, you don't really get $4500, you only get $2700.

This is a same game they use when they talk about $8000 first time home buyer tax credit. it's not $8000 that you get, you just get $8000 in tax free. I wish people would understand government games.

Other reasons i don't like C4C...

(1) All Car Makers have reduced their rebates in August in all cars due to this program. Because they know there are enough fulls out there who will buy their cars this month.

(2) People like me can't and won't buy car until C4C program ends because we are at a huge disadvantage.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,690
    Car dealers pay tax on their profits... whether the money comes from the government or from the buyer... So, it doesn't make any difference in to them.. Their taxes are no different.

However, if C4C is increasing demand, then actual selling prices may indeed be on the rise.. supply/demand affects prices.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• arrowleafarrowleaf Member Posts: 4
    For what it's worth: I live in north NJ -- I bought my 2009 V6 Limited RAV4 on July 27 (the first "official" day of the C4C program), and got the full $4500 C4C plus a discount of $1500 off the sticker price. I have absolutely no complaints about the deal I got. Dealers might now be getting more reluctant to discount these cars since demand has gone up. Guess it still pays to shop around.
  • bigdadi118bigdadi118 Member Posts: 1,207
    I just checked there're only 4 RAV4 left in one of volume dealer in MA, Boch Toyota
  • rhyflarerhyflare Member Posts: 2
    09 rav4 basic
    with 17in alloy wheels
    6 cd changer
    mats
    bluetooth

18.2k otd! w/ cash for clunkers trade in

not sure if mazda was worth 4.5 or 3.5, either way i feel i got a good deal
    remember tax in cali is close to 10% :surprise:
  • paul007paul007 Member Posts: 30
    I paid $24,921.13 (Thomasville, GA) for a Limited Rav4 I4 in Blizzard Pearl (extra $220) and non-nav Convenience Package ($1,360). The CFC $4,500 voucher was then subtracted. This was done on the first day of the program before the dealers had a firm idea of how well the program would be. I suspect that I would not get the same deal today as many Toyota dealers have quit discounting. Unlike other areas, there are no Rav4 rebates being currently offered in the Southeast.
  • evergreenevergreen Member Posts: 213
    kydfdx is correct. Demand is way up and inventories are way down. Even Fitzmall is now selling its two Limited models for $500 over invoice. Couple weeks ago it was $500 under invoice. I am holding off, too. The market is too screwy right now and probably won't settle down until the 2010s arrive in September.
  • philliplcphilliplc Member Posts: 136
    2009 Sand base 4x4 4cyl with EVP, floor mats, mud guards

$21743 + $218 doc/DMV - clunker $4500

$17461 OTD

this is from McMinnville Toyota, taking delivery of a special order made about 2 weeks ago when C4C started - as of Friday they did not have any new RAVs left on the lot
    I found the RAV4 that I wanted, limited V6 loaded, in Southern California for 500 off plus 4500 Clunker.

I want to pay cash for the car, but the dealer, for reason that I don't know whether to believe, wants to structure it as a loan from Toyota Financial, and guarantees that I will incur NO FEE, NO PENALTY, NO INTEREST. In 30 days or so, he stated I will receive a bill from Toyota Financial. At that point, he stated if I pay off the loan, it will be exactly the same as if I pay by cash.

His reason is that they want to be guaranteed payment by Toyota since he's not sure if the clunker program will reimburse. I want to walk because I think there is something fishy and he's trying to make extra money with the financing.

Before I walk, I thought I would check the forum first, since he states this is done frequently without any extra fee to customer. Please advise.
    You should walk if they don't take the cash and await the money from govt because they put up the sign as C4C participating dealer.

I know dealers are not sure how long will it take to get that big bunch of money from uncle sam, since everyday the major deals are with C4C program.
  • rav4for2000rav4for2000 Member Posts: 3
    2009 RAV4 base FW (4x2) Auto with QV package(17" wheels, rear sun-glass, top steel luggage shelf) and floor mats
    $16,320 OTD price ( trade-in: cash $4,500 for clunker).

Excellent SUV!
    Runing at 26.7 mpg so far most on highways.
    Only complaint is back door should be lifeted up, not on the right hand side.
  • dkbhousedkbhouse Member Posts: 1
    Hi Rhyflare,

Could you happen to tell me what dealer and person you made the deal through?

I have been trying to get the same specs Rav4 but most dealers are asking for 22k!!

I remember my relative got a Rav4 back in 2007 limited 4x4 4-cyl for 22k OTD!!!

I would greatly appreciate your help,

Thank you

Drew
  • siuuplinksiuuplink Member Posts: 1
    $1200 under MRSP for a Limited V6 4x4 w/CY, TO and carpets mats. Got $3500 off for my old clunker. Cut the deal the first week of the CFC program-waited 10 days for car to arrive. S. Illinois.
  • mathewghomathewgho Member Posts: 2
    Correction:

the First Time home buyers Tax Credit is a "Credit." You get 8k, it's not a 8k tax deduction.

If you make 60k/yr the credit is actually like receiving a 10k pay raise for that year. assuming income tax + 15% fed + ss and this and that. It is a great deal.
  • dropedonmyheaddropedonmyhead Member Posts: 2
    I am in Raliegh NC and I'm shopping for a lease on a Rav4 base model with the third row seat. It seems like no dealer in NC wants to lease a Toyota at an honest price. Best offer so far is 23,500 msrp , sell price 22,500. Salesman gave that price before he knew we were going to lease it and then got pissed after he found out it was a lease. Anyway Toyota is advertising a Rav4 lease deal of $2699 down 239 a month 36 months based on a $22,500 sales price. So the dealership offered a monthly payment of 273 total with taxes included in the payment. after looking at the contract I got pissed and walked out, they added a $550 maintenance plan and a $980 administration fee bringing the purchase price up to 24,000 something. I guess that is how they justified the monthly payment. After contacting other dealerships it seems like they are all playing the same game around here, I am tempted to drive up to NY to buy the car because they have a better (cheaper) lease program. $1999 down $199 a month. I guess my question is, how much should it cost a month to add on a $1,000 option (third row seat)?
  • cszulccszulc Member Posts: 33
    There must be some kind of kickback, interest reserve, or volume incentive he is gunning for by making you go through TFS. Just make sure the contract says there is no pre-pay penalty.

I'd make a mention of how he's probably doing this for a cash-to-dealer incentive and throw in some floor mats or something for it.

I did this in October 2008 with my 08 RAV4 LTD loaded, signed for a 12% interest rate (dealer gets an incentive/kickback from it), paid it off in full 4 days later in cash. Got free all-weather floor mats and detailing package to be used within 1 year, reminds me to use that soon.
  • cszulccszulc Member Posts: 33
    I would definitely shop at a new dealer, and do NOT mention the lease until you have a firm purchase price. Then, mention the lease and everything will be based on that.

You can do much better than those lease deals advertised by Toyota, as they are a starting point for negotiations. They only do like $1,000 off MSRP, and then you have to do a huge cap cost reduction to get the payment down.

Is the car you're looking at the Base 4WD or 2WD? 4cyl?

On the 2WD 4cyl plus third row seat, MSRP is 23,240, invoice 22,300. You should be able to do $22,300 at the most, which is invoice, so the dealership makes the holdback + any incentives going on under the radar.

Don't know EXACT numbers, but payment for a 36month lease based on $22,300 sell price with $1000 down, is $265 a month excluding tax. This is with the third row seat.
  • dropedonmyheaddropedonmyhead Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the replys. Just to clarify I was helping my mother-in-law lease this rav4 and the sad thing is that due to her age she can't or won't just jump in the car and travle to different dealerships to get a good deal. The only deals we were being offered over e-mail were way worse so I told her to just go with the first deal. The bottom line is she loves the car and is happy with the deal so I just left it alone. thanks for your help.
    This is Toyota site special lease for RAV4

http://www.carspace.com/bigdadi118/Albums/bigdadi118%27s%20Album/2009_Toyota_RAV- - - - - - 4_lease.gif/page/photo.html#pic

$219 mo w/ 1999 due at signing ($1,130 DOWN) ... should be BASE 4X4 2.5l

• apache1apache1 Member Posts: 2
    Hi ,Please let me know if the price you paid ie 20,820 includes destination and ttl

thanks
    Paul
  • apache1apache1 Member Posts: 2
    Hi,

I went to a dealer in dallas,texas to purchase

2009 toyota RAV4

Model 4430 5-door 4X2 SUV

and this is the price he quoted

Base MSRP $ 21,500 (He refused to go below MSRP for only standard options)

D/P/H $ 855

Window tint $ 319

Mat set $ 199

Rebate $ 1000

Total Selling Price $ 21,873 + TTL

Is this a good price, Please advice, we are a first time SUV buyer

Thanks.

Paul
  • lori56lori56 Member Posts: 19
    I don't know how important this is for buyers out there, but the new Rav does not have back seats that tumble as well as come out. My 2004 Rav's seats tumble and can be totally removed which creates additional cargo space. You can place stuff right on the floor of the vehicle. With the new model, you're placing stuff on top of the back of the seats. You're missing that space between the floor and the top of the back of the seats. This may not seem crucial - but if you need to pack up the Rav, you need all available space. The only 2009 models that I know of whose seats still tumble at least are the CRV, and I've been told the Outlander (which I have not seen first hand). That ability to at least tumble the back seats gives you access directly to the vehicle's floor....

Perhaps this might be of help to someone out there comparing the vehicles.
  • abhishekhpabhishekhp Member Posts: 1
    I purchased the fully loaded limited one too yday with a couple of additional options - security and anti dimming mirror and price came pretty much the same as you have mentioned. Though I did not trade in and opted for 0 % APR with college grad rebate. I did not think I did particularly good in negotiating but looks like from what you have mentioned it is not that bad deal.
  • chuckfromlichuckfromli Member Posts: 249
    I have been internet shopping, and have some money coming in six weeks. The dealers by me all seem to be down to about three RAV4s each in the Limited model with the sunroof and leather package. I suspect they will all be gone by the time my money arrives.

Anyone have any idea what knd of price I might pay on a 2010 in very late Sept/early October? I am kind of thinking that I will have pay considerably more because the new model won't be discounted off MSRP, or will only be discounted like $500 off MSRP.

The way I undestand it, Edmunds might not even have TMV pricing for the 2010s at that time, since so few will have been sold.
    Don't have the money but want to buy now? Go leasing, but you need pay extra 600 for acquisition fee. For me I will wait for another 6 weeks and let the cash for clunkers dies down, as dealers are now having very very good sales and don't want to offer deep discount.
    Yes, including everything that is said as out of door price (OTD).

Well, truth was I made this deal before July 24, 2009.
    I assumed dealer would much like to give in to make deal before July 24. Still thought Dealer will make at least more than $800 from this sale on that day. Toyota has $1,000 market assistant to dealer for 2009 RAV4 then.
    This is much more than those quotes before July 24, 2009, $1,500 more if including tax. Sounds like Dealer is in fully position to take advantage of Cash 4 Clunker program now. All dealers I talked with before July 24 thought nothing to do with C4C. and C4C is the customer trade-in. Now they want one piece of C4C.
  • jeannie_hjeannie_h Member Posts: 2
    I'm so happy I found this forum!!

It's Certified Pre-Owned so it still has the Manufacturers Warranty.
    The CarFax looks good. One owner.
    21,900 miles
    4 wheel drive
    It looks great (I think they call is "clean" condition)
    Body Style- Sport Utility
    Automatic four-speed transmission
    has a roof rack

It's listed at $18,700. I talked the dealer down to $17,900. That's higher than I want to pay so I said I'd get back to him.

Thank you for any advice.
  • mross20mross20 Member Posts: 1
    The best price I have been quoted is $23,475 for a new Base Rav4 AWD with the basic QV package. I am pretty sure this is just $500 below MSRP which is what they are offering on every Rav4.

This seems crazy to me. Before CARS I read people were getting Rav4's for almost $1000 below invoice. Now they are going for over $1000 above invoice. That is a $2000 swing. I guess the dealerships have us by the balls. I am going to negotiate this price Thursday and if they can't bring it down more I am going to walk right next door to Honda. They really want my business.

The CARS program has given the dealers all the power. Negotiation is tough.
  • chuckfromlichuckfromli Member Posts: 249
    I don't do leases. Something about never ending car payments, having to return the car damn near perfect, and having to worry about getting ripped off by a dealer every 3 years turns me off.

I really like to buy the best quality item availabale and keep it for several years. Like with clothing, electronics, etc., it just pays off in the long run.

On the bright side, someone posted, I think on the CRV forum, that in six weeks or so the C4C should be just about over, or at least widing down, and inventory should be up.
  • pjmsj21pjmsj21 Member Posts: 2
    Tough time to be buying a car especially if you are not using cash for clunkers. The best deal I can find is a Limited V6, $30,800 msrp being offerred at $29,300 ($1000 Toyota rebate plus $400 discount from dealer).

Should I wait till after cash for clunkers or is this an acceptable deal for the Portland OR area?

Thanks

PJ
  • hoinoyhoinoy Member Posts: 10
    Toyota dealers (at least 7 of them within metro Portland area) are taking advantage of the CARS program and really holding onto their slim SUV inventories. If you don't have a clunker and buying now is not a life-or-death situation, I would wait until the program is over. The Toyota dealer in Gladstone screwed me last week, when they tricked me into driving down to their dealer with an email promise to be competitive with a real quote that I received from another further away dealer. Once I got there, they made me wait for 30 min while they "investigated" my quote (they thought that I was lying) then only to tell me that they are selling the Highlander at MSRP. Portland area is not a good place to buy a car, for they negotiate with the mindset that they can charge higher when there is no sales tax involve. Order a car from California or Washington instead and have it shipped to Oregon.