Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota RAV4 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• abbotsburyabbotsbury Member Posts: 10
    BTW... we're in the Baltimore/DC area.
  • novacouplenovacouple Member Posts: 31
    RAV4, Classic silver
    V6, 4WD, w/Nav
    Packages: BC: backup camera, QZ, Nav, leather, etc, TO, tow prep, CF, mats
    Total MSRP sticker: 31,729.00
    Paid dealer $29,868 including "processing charge"
    Financed w/Toyota, at 1.9% for four years, I put about $10,000 down (w/trade)
    Car was assembled in Canada about two weeks before I bought it with only 2 miles on the speedometer.
    Runs great, seems like a good deal compared to the competition. HA, noticed the floor mats are shorter, they don't even get close to the pedals.
    downside, Nav is not the best, does not come high-end radio w/subwoofer, does not have blu-tooth for phone.
  • eryeerye Member Posts: 7
    I recently bought a 10RAV4, but noticed that the brake is soft (as compared to my old car). The brake padel travels long distance and requires more pressure to stop the car. Have you noticed anything in your new RAV?
  • acehawkacehawk Member Posts: 22
    This is not a Rav4, but test drove a i4 awd venza and the brake pedal is indeed extremely spongy. Didn't purchase because of that.
  • happy_planethappy_planet Member Posts: 1
    Hi cyrusd,
    What is the dealer name, #? I am in market to buy one and don't have problem to go down to Houston if get good deal...I am in DFW area...Thanks in advance....
    Suburban Washington DC:

Silver RAV4 Ltd 4-Cyl 4WD
    Extra Value Pkg #1 (w/o Nav)
    Backup camera (yeah... it turns out we decided this is useful, plus the car was a steal)
    5-pc floor/cargo mats
    Cargo net
    First aid kit

Sticker price: $29,186
    Invoice: $27,264
    True Car (estimated) Dealer Cost: $26,743

We paid $26,500 all-in plus sales tax in Maryland (suburban DC.)

That's for everything... car + destination & ad fees + title &registration + $100 for "processing." $26,500 even.

Very happy with the price and the car. Just got back from Memorial Day wknd in NYC. Put over 500 hwy miles on it and just love the car.

True Car says for sales in our area May 9-23:
    Best pre-tax price next to ours = $27,055
    Average = $28,284
    "Great Price" = anything less than $27,745.

Internet bidding really works for the buyer!
  • qqmindyqqmindy Member Posts: 2
    Hello, I think you've got a really great deal. I am also looking for exactly the same model you've got but the quotes I received are not even close to the deal you had. Do you mind share the dealer information? Thanks a lot in advance.
  • tinkerbell07tinkerbell07 Member Posts: 28
    I've been quoted $22,800 OTD for a base model RAV-4, 4 cyl w/value package (sticker shows $600 on package discounted to msrp of $120), Also, floor mats ($300), which I don't need and they won't take off, claiming came from mfr that way. (I doubt that; sounds like they're trying to put one over on a female buyer.) The MSRP is around $22,700. SE Toyota tacks on an "Admin. Fee in Florida of $650, plus of course, the dreaded dealer fee of $699. Sales tax is 6%, plus tags/title. At first blush, thought this was a good deal, but now considering the Toyota incentive/marketing support of $1,500 thru Aug. 2, not so sure this is anything more than a mediocre offer. I think I caved too soon to dealer pressure, but haven't signed contract yet. Any thoughts on whether there is more room to press for a better price on this very basic model? Not very good at this negotiation process and appreciate all the help I can get. Thanks.
  • alamocityalamocity Member Posts: 680
    Didn't realize there were any additional incentives other that the $500.00 military and $1000.00 college grad ones, is this something unique to Florida? As for your quote sounds similar to what I've seen in TX and while our doc fees are not as high we too get hit with an additional fee (Gulf States Toyota fee). If there are additional incentives in your area I'd certainly figure that into your equations.
    Thanks; it seemed to me that an out the door price of $22,800 appeared high, especially after subtracting out the $1,500 incentive from the sales price. This is a marketing support to dealer that may or may not get passed on to the buyer, rather than actual cash to the customer. This dealer supposedly passed on the $1,500 incentive to me in my price, but if that were so and the incentive was removed, I would be paying $24,300 including tax and tags of approx $1,600. Didn't think that was such a great price for a base model with very few options added. Dealer tried to "clip me" for $300 on floor mats; I'm fine with $50 mats from Walmart!
    In my search I found it almost impossible to find a base model as most came with the the extra value package, tonneau cover, and premium carpet mat set and going price was anywhere between 21,300 and 21,700 before TT&L so all in all your price might not be all that bad given the higher doc fee they charge in Florida.
    Alamocity, I wonder: did your price quotes include a discount for any dealer incentives or cash to customer? Toyota has had some incentives in place for a while, so I don't know if the price quotes you were given were with or without incentives? Do you recall? Tnx.
    The ones I looked at showed an MSRP of $22,939 (includes destination and options) so basically the dealer was giving a discount of roughly $1500.00, no extra discounts were given. Invoice showed $21,425, so most were offering right at invoice with lowest being $100.00 under invoice.
  • ang33iefang33ief Member Posts: 63
    I live in the Ocala area and I went to carsoverstocked.com, they listed the dealers close to me who gave me a price in detail. One was in Tampa and one near there. For the sport model rav4, with value package and the run flat tires package, which is, No tire on the rear. Price was around 23k plus tax, the admin fee for toy. in the se section was droped the last I heard. Sticker price for this vehicle was 25.500
    Thanks very much for the Florida pricing info. That was an attractive quote which you received. I still think there is more pricing room on my base model, and plenty of it, to buy it at a lower price than $22,800 OTD, includes tax, tags, destination, dealer fee (?) which I'm fighting, etc. As for the admin. fee, Edmunds is still showing it, so I didn't question its existence. The sticker on my vehicle was $22,600 including the overpriced mats for $300 and the value package (which actually is a good deal at $120 msrp for the package). Aside from that, no other options. Just a 4 cyl., fwd base model.And of course, there is the marketing dealer support from Toyota of $1,500 which the dealer allegedly passed along to me in his quote. Doesn't sound like it, tho'.
    How recent was your quote?

Does anyone else have info on whether SE Toyota has dropped its admin. fee of $650 which it charged in various southern states, including Florida, Alabama, etc.?
    One more point: I've e-mailed 3 local dealers, requesting an Internet quote. In return I received double talk and requests that I call them, even tho' I provided all the needed info to them to generate a quote. So far, not a single internet quote has been offered. What's that all about?
    Might want to try Autobrag.
  • qqmindyqqmindy Member Posts: 2
    I am shopping for a car too and the internet sales managers did exactly what you described. i don't reply to those guys and they later came back to me with price quote. it's not a good market and they seem to be eager in selling cars.
  • funguy123funguy123 Member Posts: 94
    Hey Guys,

Toyota is giving free 2 year maint. Does anyone know how much would that cost normally for RAV4?

Thanks
  • ral2167ral2167 Member Posts: 791
    whats the cost of 3-4 oil changes? thats the answer
    isn't there 15000 mile service that you have to do? How much does that cost?
    Sorry to take so long to reply to you. haven't been on the site lately.

I got the internet sales mgr addresses for ~ 25 dealers in the Baltimore/DC region and then sent emails asking them to make an offer. I ended up buying from FitzMall; however, frankly if I had spent another couple days I could have knocked another $200 off of the price based on several dealers who came back to me after I had closed the sale.

I found that the spread on quotes was pretty wide at first... $1000 or so. However, after I went back to them several dropped very low. FitzMall is the most price competitive as their dealers don't work on commission, evidently, and their advertising expenses are low. I used their offer to get several others to drop their bids. Ended up with one dealer who seemed to really want to make the sale (probably to get the car off the lot) but he was late... I had already bought from FitzMall.

Best wishes with your shopping. Do it from the computer. There's absolutely no upside ever to walking into a dealership and talking price with a salesman. I didn't have even a phone conversation with a single person until the third round of bidding as I was ready to make a deal. And I never left my desk chair the whole time. All the price info is out there and on your side.
  • dealovedealove Member Posts: 6
    was looking into RAV4 and built the base model with 3.5L, 4X4, 5 speed automatic with backup camera option (along with extra value package, adds $834 in Indiana) on toyota website and sent to dealers for quotes. So far I got:

$24,685+(tax&registration)
    $24,613+(tax&registration)
    $25,454+(tax&registration)

MSRP of the build was $27,151. I looked at edmunds and realized the above quoted prices were merely invoice prices. How low do you think I should go?

Also, I am a recent graduate, so I can use the $1000 rebate through toyota financial though I would like to pay it off within a month.
    I've been shopping for a 4 cyl. FWD, pretty much a base model. I could not get a dealership to give me an Internet quote. Then, another little game they play is tell you they have the model you want (in my case, a J vin #'d car to avoid the gas pedal recall), and when you get there,...they've just sold it. But they have something else to show you of course, and naturally, it is either not what you wanted, or a model/color that no one seems to want. I had that happen with 3 dealerships before I caught on. As for the rebate, it is actually marketing support money from mfr to dealer, so not an actual rebate. It amounts to $1,500, good thru Aug. 2d, and the dealer is not required to pass it on but be sure to let him know you are aware of it and that you want it worked into your price. I would certainly drop 10%-15% below the msrp. The invoice is what the dealer supposedly pays the mfr for his cars, but there are various credits from the mfr to the dealer that do not get passed along to the buyer. Good luck in your negns. I got fed up with the sneaky, underhanded "Toyota Way" and am buying a Subaru Forester.
    Where do you see $1500 mrfr to dealer? I don't see anything on Edmunds.com
    I see it under marketing support. I'm in S. Florida. I don't know if it's any different outside of my area. It was supposed to expire on June 1 but was extended, apparently, to Aug. 2
    you are right, it's there for S. Florida. We don't have that in midwest. We do have $750 customer cash back though. So I guess you guys have $750 more discount.
    After weeks of deliberation over various cars, I finally bit the bullet and bought a 2010 RAV-4 base model, 4 cyl, Extra Value Package, & no other extras. With my trade, a 2001 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS, 111,000 mi o(n which CarMax previously offered $2K,) I paid $18,250 out the door, including 6% sales tax, fee to transfer tags of $90, destination of $800, and some other minor, misc. fees. I compromised on color: took a white vehicle which, here in Florida, is cooler but so boring. I just wanted a basic model at minimal cost. SE Toyota typically imposes Admin Fee of $650 from which they will not waiver, that in addition to the dealer's fee of approx. $700, over which you are free to battle the sales mgr, but good luck there. In SE Florida, we currently also have a Toyota incentive of $1500 marketing support/mfr to dealer, that is typically being passed along (at least in part) to the buyer. So....can anyone tell me how I did? I am awful at negotiating prices -- being a female, if I think I detect even a particle of patronization by the sales staff, I grow hostile and walk away from the transaction. Thanks for your feedback!
    I'd say you did very well, glad you were able to get the deal done.
    But now, there is the level of concern about the safety of the vehicle. After reading so many opinions on these forums, seems that general consensus favors all 2009 Toyota vehicles are a danger at present. Any thoughts on that? (I know there is a forum that that topic; have spent some time there and I confess I'm a bit "rattled" by what I've read)
    Well I'm no expert but Toyota has been working the issue hard and from everything I've read they seem to have addressed the problem pretty well. Some have complained about the shims installed and then didn't like the way the pedal felt so they requested the pedal be replaced and that seemed to correct the problem.
    Have you noticed anything unusual with the accelerator feeling? If so I'd have them check to see if a new pedal was installed or just the shims. Hopefully by now the problem has been fixed at the dealership already.
    Haven't noticed anything odd in the accelerator. I do think the brake pedal is mushy and travels to far before engaging. I read on one of these forums that is a possible side effect of the changed accelerator pedal - don't know why one would affect the other. But I have a Denso pedal, which I thought was excluded from the recall/fix?
  • maq4463maq4463 Member Posts: 45
    Helped my sister last night in buying her new Rav4..ironically she went in to buy Camry..I asked her to looked into Rav4 also..she loved it...and decided to buy it instead of Camry...she had 2005 Honda Ody with 87K to trade...she bought from Koons Toyota in Fairfax...

Here's her deal...
    2010 Rav4 Base FWD Final price 21,000 + Dest+TTL
    Trade in 10,850
    She financed at 2.9 for 60 months from Toyota Financial

They tried to sell her usual GAP ins, Extended warranty, 4 year oil change blah, blah, blah...but I shot them down pretty quickly...overall good experience...sales person was very nice and courteous...took too long in the Finance dept...I guess it was late Sunday evening...

We insisted on getting the "J Vin" because the excellent quality was so evident (specially in interior trim) that it was a no brainer...was the last on on the lot with J vin...had small scratch that they will fix ...but we still got the "J"

The most appalling part was the quality of Camry..I was Shocked at the trim and fit and finish on Camry...test drove a fully loaded V6 SE.. the top of dash was all crocked over the clock....plastic trim(where the center column meets the center bin) miss-aligned and sharp edges...sticker MSRP over 31K..what a piece of crap....I rented a 2011 Hyundai Sonata last month and it was sooo much better than Camry..top class...
    I've read in places where they mentioned a brake override system being installed in some of the higher end Toyota's but didn't see it mentioned for the RAV4's. I sometimes wonder just how closely the software issue was looked at and whether that played any part with the problems encountered.
  • lyndamdlyndamd Member Posts: 12
    I am in the Baltimore/DC market and looking to buy a RAV4 by this weekend. Got a high bid from a dealer in Baltimore (compared to what I'm reading on here, $2K higher) but sent out Internet quote requests and am awaiting some reponses. Looking for a 2010 base model fwd with value package. What model did you purchase? If you wouldn't mind passing on who you bought your car from or who ended up contacting you after you purchased your car, that would be great. Thanks.
    Too bad you're not in S. Florida. I got a super deal from Delray Toyota. My salesman was helpful, courteous and sincere. Believe me, I spoke with different salesmen at various dealerships for over 4 weeks. This guy, although young and new to the sales game (or maybe because of it) was a class act, as were all of the people that I dealt with at Delray Toyota. I am not easy to please, am a cynic and will walk out the door and never look back if I'm displeased. This was a very easy & pleasant experience, although it took a long time on a Sat. evening. The sales manager was helpful but not in my face or pushy in the least. Not patronizing, not annoying, just darned good. So I bought the car, after hedging and hesitating at every other dealership that I visited.
  • ram12345ram12345 Member Posts: 3
    edited July 2010
    Experts,

Is this a good price to pay for Toyota RAV4 LTD 4X2 (Model No 4450C) with the Extra value package, That includes Daytime Running Lights, Power Moonroof with Sunshade, JBL AM/FM 6-Disc CD Changer / Integrated XM Satellite Radio. (Includes a 90 Day Trial Subscription. At End of 90 Day
    Period, Requires XM Radio Subscription) / MP3/WMA Playback Capability / Hands-Free Phone Capability Via Bluetooth and 9 Speakers (Includes subwoofer) in 7 Locations, Premium Package. (Includes Leather Seating Surfaces / 8-Way. Adjustable Power Driver''s Seat with Power Lumbar Support / Driver and Front Passenger Heated Seats / 120V AC Power Outlet)

Dealer is asking $25,026 plus ttl&f. This includes a $750 rebate which I have to give up for 0% for 36 months,1.9% for 48 months or 2.9% for 60 months.

I specifically did not want the GPS system,because, it would not come with bluetooth capability and no 6 CD changes as well as no sub woofer speakers, which is odd with Toyota.

Also, please suggest me if I should go with any other model if there is any issue with this particular one.
    I heard Toyota will redesign 2011 RAV4, is that true? I know it comes out in Aug/Sept time frame, in that case I might just wait for 2011. Hopefully Toyota will put 5 or 6 speed trans instead of just 4 they have now. I can't believe they still have only 4. All of the comparable cars have either 5 or 6, it's about time Toyotaaaaaaaaaaaaaa... Other then that i like RAV4.
    hopefully also they'll move the spare tire to hidden location like the cr-v, which is now a much nicer looking vehicle becuase of that, imho.
  • acehawkacehawk Member Posts: 22
    Looking for a v6 sport 4wd. What kind of pricing are you guys seeing lately?
  • internetuser2internetuser2 Member Posts: 3
    It's not bad. I paid $26,300 for the same model in NC about 4 months ago. I got the Extra Value Package with GPS instead of the JBL. I agree with you about the oddness of the packages Toyota offers. it's pretty lame. but the car drives nice. I thought I'd miss the V6 but even the 4-cylinder is pretty peppy.
  • m3nphlsm3nphls Member Posts: 4
    Hi, I was looking to buy a Rav4 Sport 4 cylinder 4x4 with the Sport Extra Value Package ($470).

MSRP is $26,055 after delivery, processing & handling fee. I just needed someone who recently purchased it around NYC area to see what was the best price you got it for out the door.
  • chrisnj3chrisnj3 Member Posts: 1
    Just bought the 4x2 Base Model yesterday and are very happy with our purchase. We were debating the Honda CRV or Rav 4. CRV felt like I was driving a bigger version of my civic. It wasn't bad, but we felt the Rav 4 handled better and had more space.

After a lot of back and forth we got $22,500 out the door, in NJ. That includes tax, title, etc... We saved $1,000 thanks to the "Recent College Grad" (I just got a masters), then pushed hard to get them under invoice.

Curious to hear others out the door price for 4x2, if we got a great deal or just a good deal. Either way, we are very satisfied with our purchase.
  • jsetoxjsetox Member Posts: 15
    I have negotiated the OTD of this Rav4 as $29,650 (not including tax, title, etc) with my local dealer Millennium Toyota in Hempstead, NY.
    Do you think this is a good deal or can I go lower with the dealer?

RAV4 4WD LTD V-4 with the below options and packages:
    (QZ) Extra value pkg with Nav
    (BC) Back up camera
    (CF) Carpet Floor Mats/Cargo Mats
    (TO) Tow prep package
    (WL) Wheel locks
    I just built the car with the configuration you mentioned above in the Toyota website. Assuming that you are going for a 4 cylinder engine, the MSRP came out to $29,056 (after delivery). So the price you mentioned is really high.

Remember, MSRP is only suggested retail price and actual sale value is far less. Go to edmunds.com ($25,590 for your configuration) or other websites to see what others are paying for your configuration. Usually you can get the car for even lower price than that is mentioned in these websites (I did on my Hyundai Santa Fe). The dealer may bring a piece of paper during negotiation showing his "invoice" price and may try to sell the car at this price. Remember that this invoice does not mean anything and you can ask for a lower selling price. All these prices do not include tax or title charges.

If the dealer does not want to lower the price to a reasonable point, just walk away from the deal. You will always find another dealer who is willing to. Do not sign any documents during negotiation (saying you would like to commit to buying etc). The dealer may force you to sell the vehicle they have in the lot. Unless it is the vehicle you want, tell the dealer you do not want it.

http://www.edmunds.com/new/2010/toyota/rav4/101201396/optionsresults.html?action- =2
    I just realized I forgot to list the transmission type in my orig posting. It's for the V6 on the Limited with Nav. He showed me his invoice as $29,650 (after delivery) and was willing to sell the vehicle for that price while waiving the $374 "admin fee" I had tried to go lower than that price but he wasn't willing to budge.
    What are your thoughts on the price?
    why not save us some time and tell us what the msrp was, and then we can compare it with the price you got. Simple.
    The MSRP was $31,720.
    The invoice he showed you means nothing. Edmunds is showing the total price of your configuration (V6, Limited, 4X4 with Nav. package) around 29,407. My Santa Fe's edmund's price was 29,432 and I got it for around 26,000 (Ofcourse it depends on the current offers on the vehicle etc).There is no "admin fee" that they are supposed to charge. I bought my car on 24th June and looked into Rav4 along with many other similar category vehicles. Toyota dealer was the most difficult to deal with (Fort Wayne,IN).

I did walk away from the dealerships as soon as they started saying "admin fee", "sign the commitment form", "buy the car that is in the lot" etc.

Not to discourage you from buying a Rav4 but have you sat in the rear seats to see if they are comfortable? I actually went to buy a Rav4 (I am a Toyota fan, ex camry owner) but after sitting in the rear seat, I noticed that the rear seat bottom cushion is really small and very uncomfortable even to sit for 5 minutes (I am not that tall - 5ft 7in with low BMI). The front and rear seat bottom cushions were criticized by many reviewers.
  • jowblowjowblow Member Posts: 1
    2010 RAV4 Base model
    4WD
    4-Cylinder
    Extra Value Package
    TC Tonneau Cover

Out the door price including all taxes (5.5%), license transfer, etc is $23,831. By my calculations, that means the car costs about $22,350. Good or bad?