Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota RAV4 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• jimdrewjimdrew Member Posts: 84
    I paid $1000.00 more but they gave me $1000.00 more for my trade...so about the same actually. I love V6 Sport and the suspension. Went to Miami Metro Zoo over the weekend and this thing cruises at 80 and 90 smooth as glass and very quiet. We made a good choice. (Did I say 90 hmmm must be a mistake)

Jimmy
  • psychtobepsychtobe Member Posts: 12
    assuming you mean all costs included, this seems pretty good. I paid $1100 over invoice for a base 4 cyl 4wd and paid price was 23,339, out the door (we pay 8% sales tax) was 25,450.
    I paid $983 for prepaid maintenance - the dealer went over the recommended service and told me all the basics plus all the extras (fuel injection flush, coolant flush, etc) he had on his list were included. The total price for all of this added up to about $1700; it seemed like a good deal so I bought.

However, after I got home I tried to confirm the deal with 800 GO TOYOTA and my local dealer. Basically, even the premium package includes nothing more than the 5k mile services for which they charge $69.95+ each, and a few additional inspections along the way. They do change the air filter at one point, but heck that's worth like $15. All told the oil changes up through the 55k miles would be worth $69.95+tax * (55/5=11) = $769.45 + $15 + tax. But you also have the opportunity cost of the money, and the chance that your car will get stolen, totaled, or sold in the interim. I think I wouldn't pay much more than $500.

As for my story, I've called the dealer and they will refund my $983. If they don't, I'll contest the charge on my credit card. It just wasn't represented accurately.
  • mpc8240mpc8240 Member Posts: 19
    The premium package includes 15k, 35k & 55k major services. Seems you didn't count that in. I don't know how much those major service will cost though. For per-5k miles maintenance, did you count in tire rotation? I was told each maintenance will be charged $110, including oil change, tire rotation & xx point inspection.
  • ajg33ajg33 Member Posts: 13
    My dealer has quoted me a price of $23,921, MSRP $25,713 for a 2006 RAV4 4x4 V6 with roof rack, side airbags, daytime lights, tow package, mud guards and floor mats. Does this sound like a good price?
  • kenjiekenjie Member Posts: 2
    I agree with you, but i think the major services are 15k, 30k & 45k. for my sedan every major service at the dealer cost about $250.... so that will be $750 total + (8-5K) roughly $560. grand total of $1310 so not bad if you got the premium package for $985..or under $1000.
  • chukonuchukonu Member Posts: 3
    Just bought a Rav4 base 4x4 model for 150 over dealer invoice (in central Illinois). I applied for Toyota financing and the financial manager also gave me $400 college grad rebate :surprise: . Overall got it around 21.5K + TTL. Feel like a good deal, and the car is really fun to drive.
  • eroseros Member Posts: 27
    AJG, I'd DEFINITELY urge you to shop around.

I bought an almost identical 2006 base V6 4WD RAV4 today (MSRP..$25,748; Invoice..$23,164) for $22,900........over $200 BELOW invoice. I live just west of Boston. I got several quotes several hundred dollars over invoice, but $23,921 is too much!!!!

Good Luck,

ABBY
  • cece62cece62 Member Posts: 1
    Abby, Just curious which dealership you used. I am in western Mass.
    Does yours have a 3rd row seat?
    Can you list the specific features yours includes?
    Thanks for your help... :)
    $110 might be what your dealer will charge, but it's not what's required by Toyota to maintain the warranty. The 5k mile "Signature" Toyota service costs $69.95+ tax, but the required oil, lube, filter, and systems inspection costs $29.95. Big difference.

Since I would only do the basics required to maintain the warranty, we're really looking at $29.95+tax x 11 = approx $385 plus the major services. Not worth it to me. Not to mention - the opportunity cost of the money, the upfront cost of the money due to inflation, etc.

If you are the type to always get the full Signature service, it may be a closer call.
    CeCe, I'd prefer not to identify the dealership.

The MSRP is for a base V6 4WD RAV4 with the TOW package, side/curtain airbags,daytime running lights,roof rack, mudguard,carpet mats, and bumper protector.

I think that a 3rd row adds around $800 to the MSRP. I would never use it.

Overall, I found that the internet folks at dealerships were able to provide upfront, low quotes without the hassles of negotiating with a salesman. They told me that they were salaried rather than operating on a commission. In that regard, they had no bone to pick about getting me to pay a HIGHER price to increase their compensation.
  • shine73shine73 Member Posts: 1
    Chukonu - Can you let me know which dealer gave you that deal? I'm in Chicago. Thanks!
  • chukonuchukonu Member Posts: 3
    Obrien auto park in Urbana, IL. You will need to bring a letter showing you are college/graduate student to qualify for the 400 rebate. Good luck!
  • jimd4jimd4 Member Posts: 877
    Your allowed to identify dealers here, just not specific people and phone numbers
  • foreverjneforeverjne Member Posts: 4
    Here's a quote from a local dealer in the Orange county, CA area.

Base 4x2 V6 $19989
    Roof Rails & Crossbars $176
    Curtain/Side airbags $559
    Carpet Floor Mats/Cargo Mat $134
    TDA $250
    Gasoline $10
    Dealer Holdback $446
    Whsl Financial Service $223
    Total invoice $22392

Taking the $8 difference in Carpet Floor Mats/Cargo Mat between the dealer's quoted invoice and Edmund's price, the dealer's quoted invoice is $260 more than Edmund's invoice.
    That's probably the TDA ($250) and gasoline ($10). Is it normal for dealers to add TDA and gasoline to the invoice?
    Well he gets the $449 hold back back later from Toytoa so no bargin for that. And financial service $223 is for what?
    TDA is part of the advertising costs I guess.
  • ajg33ajg33 Member Posts: 13
    Abby,
    How much negotiating did you do over the internet? Was final price done over email or in person?

-AJG
    AJG, the final price was negotiated exclusively on the Net. I went in with the printout to an assigned salesman who simply wrote up the deal. I then had to see their finance guy regarding an extended warranty. I paid cash so I didn't have to bicker over financing.
  • foreverjneforeverjne Member Posts: 4
    Looking at the fax again, the $223 is listed under Whsl. Finanacial Reserve. Don't know what that is either.
  • george65george65 Member Posts: 1
    I have read that some people are getting their RAV4 for $400 or $500 'above invoice'. What invoice price are they referring to? The Edmunds 'invoice' is about $600 less than the 'invoice' price the dealer gave me.
  • ashokkvashokkv Member Posts: 1
    Is invoice price you are referring is invoice price mentioned in edmunds.com? Since dealers invoice price includes dealer holdback + TDA + extras.
    From looking at prices and seeing offers on the net, the Edmonds invoice is a good guide. The dealers will add or subtract all kinds of things and call it invoice. Some also try to charge $399 for processing the paper work! You can see cars selling at less than invoice on the net at fitzmall, carmax, lustine toyota etc. Also the "holdback" is dollars the dealer gets back from Toyota after the sale so he has room to give up a little of that too. Sales are slowing and deals are increasing, at least on the east coast. Soon the 2007s will be here and it will be interesting to see where the prices go. My guess is they stay down. But don't forget the dealer has to make a living too.
  • mpc8240mpc8240 Member Posts: 19
    Good question. It's dealer invoice. Interesting to note that dealer invoice is always a few hundred bucks higher than that on Edmunds, allegedly with local advertising & training costs factored in.
    Personally I won't argue about that as long as the over invoice part is not outrageous.
  • ndsrndsr Member Posts: 5
    Dealership: Haley Toyota of Midlothian, Virginia
    Date visited: July 30, 2006
    ---
    Car Found: 2006 Toyota RAV4 Base 4x4 V6, Pacific Blue.
    Factory Options: FE CD DR AW GY RL TO
    Port Options: DK Z1
    MSRP: $26,282 on dealer's "inventory detail" report; advertised on AutoTrader as $26,877.
    RAV4 Negotiated Price: $24,000
    ---
    Traded in: 1997 Chrysler Town and Country LX w/120K miles.
    Trade in appraised for: $2,400
    ---
    Price w/o TTT+P: $21,600
    TTT: 813.50
    Processing: 198.00
    ---
    Grand Total: $22,611.50

Background Info:
    No factory rebates on '06 RAV4 as of July or August 2006. No idea as to holdbacks.
    Edmunds quoted a TMV of ~$24,800 for the RAV4 before the port and dealer options.
    Some '97 T&Cs go on eBay for ~$4,800. But ours was a base model with rear AC, dual climate control, roof rack and privacy glass. Conservative TMV of ~$1,600; CarMax appraised it at $2,000.

Did we get a good deal? At least, based on where we live (DC/Richmond/Hampton Roads area)?
  • karlaykarlay Member Posts: 2
    I just placed a special order for a RAV4 Limited, 4X4, V6 yesterday. The dealer said he thought it would take about a month, but I am skeptical - that seems to quick. Anyone else have experience with special orders and how long they took? I'm so excited to get my new car!! :D
    One dealer we spoke with told us flat out that their inventory is what Toyota gives them, and that we couldn't "special order" anything. That said, we had our pick of what was on the dealer's lot or any other lots in the region.

Eventually, we bought exactly what we wanted. And eventually, the dealer got around to securing exactly what we wanted. Interestingly, the car we bought on Sunday was apparently sold on Saturday; the dealer exchange coordinator was off over the weekend and hadn't updated the database. We're supposed to take delivery of the sold car's identical twin on Thursday.
    I would say you did well on the negotiated price with $2000 of MSRP on a mid price model. Not idea what a fair trade price is. Enjoy!
    Mid price model? we bought a base with some options. I would think that the mid-price model would be the sport trim or something.

unless you mean something completely different. Please excuse my ignorance.
  • mcveemcvee Member Posts: 4
    I have asked for 2 dealers to send me a quote on a RAV4 Limited V6. I got invoice price from edmunds $24,803. TMV for my area (Minnesota) is $26,217. They both sent pretty much the same internet price($15 difference) of $27,200. I asked for $26,200 and neither one of them sound like they are willing to go down. I have asked for them to tell me their invoice price and am still waiting for that answer. Was my price way out of line? I'm not sure of my next move. I'm new at this car buying business! Lots of people talk about getting price of just a few hundred over invoice. Any advice would be VERY welcome :confuse:
    I'm sure you've probably done this, but did your edmunds invoice price factor in preinstalled factory options? Based on my experience, it was impossible to find a toyota rav4 on a dealer lot that didn't have any preinstalled options. In fact, I'd bet they're trying to move inventory already on their lot. If that's the case, they may be quoting you a pre-configured rav4 that were already built with a set of options installed. If that's the case, you may want to reevaluate your TMV, just in case it only took into account pricing for a Rav4 L w/o options.

But again, I'm probably not telling you anything new.
    Well I was making a generalization. The Sport and Limited cost almost the same if you get most of the options so I consider them the high end of RAV. The Base is the rest and depeding on the options you can get right up there in dollars with V6 and AWD etc. If uo were to buy a 2wd, I4 Base very little on it, you might have trouble getting more than $1000 off MSRP. Not so on a loaed v6 Sport or Limited.
    Thanks for the clarification -- and the reassurance. It's nice to think that we didn't get as screwed as we could have.
  • mcveemcvee Member Posts: 4
    The TMV is the price with options included. One of the dealers even repeated back the options I put down. They said that was the lowest price for that configuration. I wonder if there's so much demand for the seemingly rare Limited V6,that they don't need to reduce prices. Any other advice?
  • mscherrymscherry Member Posts: 2
    Can we still get a special order for a 2006 Rav4 ?
    A dealer told me they are no longer taking orders for 2006 Rav4s and just waiting to take orders for 2007 in Oct.
    :cry:
  • mscherrymscherry Member Posts: 2
    4WD SPORT (mnrf, daylght, chrome whls, side arbgs)- $25K
    2WD SPORT (all of the above)- $23,500
    2WD LIMITED V6(all of the above + lther heated seats)- $27K

:blush:
    Well with Toyota you don't really special order anything. You tell the dealer what you would like and he tries to match up your wants with the cars Toyota allocates to the dealer. If he gets the match allocated, your in. If not he has to trade with another dealer or get you to accept his closest match to your needs. The situation is further complicated in that the regions decide what options they "bring in" on cars to that region.
    My guess is if you want a RAV4 now you take a 2006 that is in or on the way from Japan. I am looking to a 2007 and my dealer has no info or pricing. He anticipates info late August and cars on the lot in early October. Only Moma Toyota knows for sure I guess
  • karlaykarlay Member Posts: 2
    I wonder what the deal is then. I was told at the time that it won't be specifically made for me, but that they were calling it a special order and that it would get my name in line for the one I want. Hmm. Also, 2 dealers here in Oregon have told me the 2007's won't be available until next year because they just got the 2006 models in a few months ago. I wonder if Oregon is just behind other states? I even emailed Toyota to ask when the 2007s were coming out and they responded with a non-answer, that they didn't have info on the 2007 models. I gave a deposit for my car and I trust my dealer, but am scared I'm not going to get the car I want! :confuse:
    Well my dealer and Toyota main customer both told me the same story: No details now, info end of Auguest, 2007 cars on lots in US in October. Since Jan 2006 what my dealer has told me has pretty much been true plus/minus 2 weeks on first V6 etc.

Won't be long now!
  • bwong06bwong06 Member Posts: 43
    Base model 4x2, 4 cylinder

Extra features: side curtain, roof racks, 17 inch alloy, mud guards, tonneua cover, carpet floor mats, pin stripe and door guards... they offered us 22,000 otd in arizona, and they were willing to go an extra 500 less but we didnt like the color (light blue). But is 21,500 a good price otd for this car?
    Well this link will show you a much better price for a better equipped Base to give you some idea of pricing. This is in the East.
    http://www.fitzmall.com/carfind/resultsb.asp?Search=NEW&ID=024905&photo=TO064430- - &loc=LFT&mall=GA&year=2006&mk_code=TO

I have no idea what the taxes and fees are in AZ. The above link does not include them but they get $99 for paper work I think
  • bwong06bwong06 Member Posts: 43
    tax titles and fees are quite a lot here in az... its about 11% of the negotiated price. i am not great at math but i think i am paying something like 19,500 for the car itself (doesnt include tax title and fees)
    Then I would say you got a good deal.

Enjoy your truck
    For those of you who refer to the TMV, I'd recommend that you abandon its use as a yardstick. In my shopping at over 6 dealers in the Boston area, they were willing to part with cars over $1,000 less than the TMV. As I stated in an earlier post, I just bought a base V6 4WD for $200 less than invoice. For the 2006 inventory which is left, I would urge you to only accept invoice or less.

Abby
  • dynamitedynamite Member Posts: 1
    For 2006 RAV 4 BASE V6 4WD with OPTIONS :Third Row, Airbags,17" Alloy Wheel , Roof Rack ,AM/FM/6 CD Changer ,Tow Prep Package ,Daytime Running Lights , the dealer in Arizona quoted me $25,300 and asking for $ 450 extra for shipping charges to get the color I wanted form out of state facility.
    Please let me know if this is a reasonable deal as per recent buyers.
    Thanks
  • stactumstactum Member Posts: 39
    based on your options and consumer reports subscription your package should be about

MSRP: $26,890
    Invoice: $24,269
    Bottom price: $23,794 (you should start your negotiation from)

(Dealer Holdback $475 )

Realistically, it's hard to say, even in my area dealers are different, but for me my price is usually +/-$200 around invoice depending on the car.
  • jimdrewjimdrew Member Posts: 84
    service. I had the worst dealing experience that I have ever had. Finally I got my tag refund and latter I got my difference between payoff and what they actually paid...and now, I paid off my car and I want to cancel my GAP and have called 6 times and no one will return calls. I went down today and was told that everyone was busy and I would have to wait a couple of hours. Call and make an appointment. I did so, called 6 times and left 4 messages. NO return call. I called their Customer Care line and again, no answer, left a message. I called the manager and he forwarded my call to someone that said they did not work on Fridays. I cannot believe the terrible customer service. They were so nice when I bought the car. (I guess because I paid more than I should but I was in love.) Now, they don't want to talk to me. BTW, still love the RAV 4 V6 Sport. Please be careful which dealer you deal with.

Jimmy Drew
    I wouldn't think of paying over invoice for an '06. Good Luck
  • jorgeorgejorgeorge Member Posts: 22
    Yesterday I put a deposit on a base 4cyl 4x4 Rav at the price of $22,500, with the few options/accessories I wanted.
    My internet price was when I sent in for a quote was $22,798.
    Does the $22,5 seem as a good price?
    Also, does anyone know if I decide not to get the Rav, since they have to find one for me none on the lot, do I get my deposit back?
    thanks
    What's the MSRP??? Did you ask for the invoice price? At this time of year, you shouldn't be paying above invoice. You'll have to read the fine print on your deposit, but it should be refundable.
  • sandi123sandi123 Member Posts: 4
    Just bought a red Rav4 4x4 V6 (no 3rd seat) in the metro Chicago area on July 31, 2006. I waited 3 months for dealer to find the options and color I wanted:

Base vehicle #4453A $23,540
    Options: EJ, GY, HD, LA, RL, SR, TO, CF $3020 (these options are packaged for the Midwest and you can't get anything different unless you special order)
    Delivery fee $605
    Toyota Dealer Association (TDA)fee $455
    Gas Charge $10
    Got mudguards thrown in at no additional charge and 2 free oil changes

Dealer offered me a $4,500 for my 1999 Camry XLE V6 loaded with all the options available in 1999 so I sold the car myself for more than double the dealer's low trade-in offer

I paid $150 over dealer cost for a total of $27,780. I tried to negotiate the TDA down a little but no go here. A RAV V6 with the options above is hard to get in Illinois. I would not pay anything over invoice for a 2006 RAV for the rest of the year since the new '07 RAVs will be out in November. I think I got a reasonable deal for a end of the year car.