Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota RAV4 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• jimd4jimd4 Member Posts: 877
    Sound high to me. $2000 off MSRP would be a ballpark number I think.

But V6 limited with leather is almost impossible to find so you pay for that too I guess.
    Good luck with your RAV4
  • chan0512chan0512 Member Posts: 2
    Breddy2000,
    which dealer did you buy it from?
    the following are the quotes I got from different dealer so far for
    4x4 4 cyl sport $23876 + fees (stereo upgrade, side airbags)
    4x4 4cyl base $22368 + fees (must be crazy!!)
    2x4 4 cyl sport $25163 + fees (jbl, tonneau cover, side airbags, daytime rnng lght, moonroof, towing hitch) --> this too wayyy too high!!!
    4x4 4 cyl sport $24307 (JBL audio system, tonneau cover, side curtain airbags, daytime running lights, sunroof ) --> still high
    2x4 4 cyl limited $24781 (audio,moonroof,third row seating )

Well don't know how I got this high quote...
  • ra6678ra6678 Member Posts: 1
    I am looking for 2006 RAV4 2WD V6 in the houston area.
    Anybody having recent buying experience for the same in houston area ??
    I was going to go with V4 but after reading the discussion about V4 vs V6 here , I decided for V6. TIA
  • jimnyojimnyo Member Posts: 1
    anyone on this board live in hawaii? here, all the toyota dealerships are owned by one company, servco. so there's no competition to go to and try to haggle. any ideas? as an example, their email quote said first, that i could only get a 3rd row seat with the limited, which sucks b/c everywhere else you can get the base model with the 3rd row seat. second, to give you an idea of what i'm dealing with, their quote for a base model v6 with:
    Destination Charge: $605.00
    17" Alloy Wheels: $440.00
    Tonneau Cover: $140.00
    Daytime Running Lights: $40.00
    Roof Rack: $220.00
    Side & Curtain Airbags: $650.00
    was $24,006, after tax and title and "documentation fee" (what's that?), $25,380.01

is this reasonable or should i just give up and buy something used?

thanks for your opinions!!
    Well, if it is an AWD v6 it is not an outrageous price as the invoice would be $23450 before taxes and fees. In the USA east you could get this for invoice now.

If it is a FWD, subtract say $1000.
  • franklwfranklw Member Posts: 46
    I have been tracking this forum for the past month, I just wonder if anyone has purchased RAV-4 w/ similar options. What should I expect to pay since I have heard it's hard to find limited, V6 w/ leather. I live in San Diego but will drive to Orange County, LA, and Riverside for good deal. Thanks in advance.
    On Edmunds you can find the exact invoice prices. add that up and shop around via net or phone. The cars are there, you just have to work at it. By the way the 2007s are shipping now.

Here is a link to a loaded 2007 Limited V6 so you can see the invoice is. DO NOT PAY MSRP. $500 over invoice is not bad since limited is hard to find with leather

http://www.fitzmall.com/carfind/resultsb.asp?Search=NEW&ID=75012845*O&photo=FALS- - E&loc=LFT&mall=GA&year=2007&mk_code=TO
  • mcveemcvee Member Posts: 4
    The Limited V6's are so hard to find and to order a specific one I'm finding, could take 8 weeks or more. I am going to order a 2007. None of the 3 dealers I've been working with will go down in price which is $1000 over invoice. I've thrown out some pretty reasonable lower prices too. It doesn't matter that in a few months they will be considered a year old. The 2007 model I specifically want can be here in just a few weeks and the price is actually $15.00 cheaper than the 2006!! What's up with that?? Maybe some of you might want to consider giving up on finding a 2006 and just get the 2007.
  • haroldiharoldi Member Posts: 2
    I just took delivery (Thursday, Aug 17) of a RAV4 V6 limited with leather (Pacific Blue with Ash), upgraded stereo, heated seats, moon roof, towing package, second row curtain and roll air bags, running lights and carpeted floor mats/Cargo mats. I didn't need the towing package, the upgraded stereo, or the additional mats, but you pretty much have to take what they put on it, particularly if you want leather. Anyway, my price was $27,359 including "dealer processing and delivery) but tax and tags/title extra. I got mine through an auto broker whose name I will be glad to share with you, and there's an additional charge of several hundred for his services, but overall, it's still a couple of thousand below your quoted price. It is difficult to get leather and it might take a couple of months.
    To increase your availability you might consider the Limited but with aftermarket leather. My dealer quoted $1300 and it is covered with 36 mo warranty. I have seen several Sports with it and it is much nicer than factory.
    Just a thought. My guess is 0.1% of Rav4s come with leather. I have seen 3 in NY in 8 months of watching.
    I don't think you will "find" a 2007 any easier. It is just a matter of your dealer being lucky enough to be allocated one.

see link http://ayarinc.com/english/index.htm
  • haroldiharoldi Member Posts: 2
    Be very careful of after market leather if you have the optional curtain air bags (which everyone should get). I was told my two dealers that altering the seats inactivates the curtain/roll air bags. I'd certainly check with Toyota before I took that step given that I got the same information from two independent dealers. A third never mentioned it, but did mention that leather could be dealer installed.
  • mcveemcvee Member Posts: 4
    I wasn't referring to leather. I was talking about 2006 Limiteds in general. God forbid I add leather to my quest!
    smart guy.
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A large national news magazine is looking new Toyota owners that switched out from a Ford vehicle with their new purchase. Please send an e-mail to ctalati@edmunds.com no later than Wednesday, August 23, 2006 by 2:30 PM PT/5:30 PM ET containing your daytime contact information, what Toyota car you purchased and what Ford car you left behind.
  • bswaroopbswaroop Member Posts: 1
    Hi Haroldi,
    can you please mention which dealer you got this from? did you get a 4x4? I am looking for a similar car in portland, OR.. and so far the best quote is invoice +$700, and the invoice includes, all the fees like TDA, Dealer Hold Back, Financial reserve... and dealers are not willing to negotiate on them... your price seems pretty good so I'll appreciate if you can share some pointers.

thanks,
  • evergreenevergreen Member Posts: 213
    Hi bsawaroop,

Where can you get the RAV4 in Portland for only $700 over invoice? I contacted the dealer in Portland that has the Costco account and they told me the RAV4s are in short supply and the price would be near MSRP. Hogwash. I live in Central Oregon and can actually justify flying to the East Coast and dealing with Fitzgeralds. I have a daughter in Denver who I visit so since it is halfway (almost) to the East Coast I could just be out the plane fare (approx $200) and then drive west to Denver to visit and then back home. I bet you had to haggle a lot to get $700 over invoice. We are talking 06 aren't we?
    Hi Jim. You have been very helpful in the short time I have been watching this forum. Thanks for the input.

According to the link you posted, Fitzgerald is asking $2283 over invoice for that particular 2007 Rav4. I saw one 2007 for as low as $1000 over invoice on their website. Of course their 06s are selling for + or - $300 compared to invoice. From your experperience, will their price for the 07s gradually decline during the year or will they drop suddenly close to invoice once their are no more 06s in the inventory?

Thanks,
    Lloyd
    Well the price will drop for sure unless lots of people in the USA get the urge for a 2007 RAV4 that they do not have for the 2006. When is not easy to predict. When the V6 RAVs started to show up in Feb-March the prices were like $1000-1500 over for a week or so. Then they worked down to $300-$500 over and then to under invoice. My guess is RAV4 mania is over and 2 months after they get 20-30 RAVs in stock (Maybe October) the price will be near invoice. There is lots of competition in the MD/DC area so pricing is good. Keep an eye on Darcar, Lustine and Carmax sites in the MD area and you will see good prices once the initial 2007 mini mania ends. You can find those sites by doing a google.

If you want to get an idea of lots of RAV4s in stock and see when the 2007 start coming in in quaitity do a "build and buy" on the Toyota web site with a zip 34423 and get the SE region list. They have 500 to 1000+ RAVs in or coming in usually but have the worst prices I have seen any place! They get a major delivery update every two weeks. The next one should be about a week from tomorrow.

I hope my theory is correct since I am waiting to buy a loaded 2007 Sport V6 for late November. I just sent them an email yesterday asking for a price on a loaded 2007 V6 Sport. Since JBL is not coming into NY for Sport in 2007 I may end up going to Fitzmall to get the RAV. I will keep you posted if I get a price quote from them. If I decide I don't need JBL I know I can get one from my local dealer for $300 over invoice later this year.

Good luck in your buying.
    I noted some comments from owners of the V6 RAV4 over at tundrasolutions.com that they were having enough swaying to make you carsick. Seems like the suspension is not quite up to the weight or the power of the V6. Is this issue like beer: makes some people sick and others happy?
  • jimdrewjimdrew Member Posts: 84
    Maybe the Sport suspension makes a difference? I am happy as can be with the RAV4 V6 Sport...nice combination of ride and stability...I think the softer suspension would not be as much fun to drive...

Jimmy Drew
  • rav4fansrav4fans Member Posts: 8
    I am from Vancouver, BC, Canada (close to Seattle.) I am planning to buy a Rav4 before export it into Canada. The price is way better in US :cry: How could I buy my car? Are there anything I need to know about export? Would appreciate any feedback.

06 or 07 Rav4, AWD, V6, Ltd, leather, moon roof, JBL 9 speakers, curtain airbags.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,046
    We have an entire board dedicated to this question..

Importing Car into Canada from US

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

I haven't been able to get into their website the last few days. Anyone else have the same problem?
    same problem here. emailed them but have not heard back
  • stactumstactum Member Posts: 39
    I just got RAV4 4x4 V6 Base (Savannah metallic) for my wife here in Milwaukee from Heiser Toyota

Packages: FE DR CD GY RL TO CF

MSRP: $25,764

My price: $23,371 + 129 service fee + TTL
    OTD: $24,822
  • barbarajricebarbarajrice Member Posts: 1
    2006 or 2007? Sport suspension?
    Does she love it?
    Thanks.
    it is 2006. Base model so my guess it's not a sport suspension, but she love it, that is for sure!

When I was looking this car we sat down with my dealer and checked Dealer Daily on inventory in midwest and there was only about 10 cars like that (Base, V6, 4x4).
    Sport is is a model, not an option. If you want Sport suspension you have to get the Sport model
  • eroseros Member Posts: 27
    I can't speak for Portland, Oregon, but I received MULTIPLE offers for a 2006 RAV4 V6 4WD BELOW invoice throughout the Boston area. Perhaps there's a big discrepancy in pricing from region to region.
  • cormelbritcormelbrit Member Posts: 4
    I'm in the market for a RAV4. Any suggestions on which dealers I should deal with in Central NJ? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
  • fadd2002fadd2002 Member Posts: 7
    did you get 10years warranty?
  • newbie_vwnewbie_vw Member Posts: 2
    I am considering to get a Passat 2.0T or RAV4(V6)--generally both look attractive to me, but it seems I can get a great deal from Passat (see the following article).

And I gentleman(sorry I lost the post number) say previously that you can only get an invoice +-300$ price at best.

I know Toyota is more popular (because of its perceived reliability), did anyone hear 1000$ lower than invoice price at San Francisco area?

Thanks,

---------------------------------------------
    I just agreed to the following: 2006 VW Passat 3.6L with Sport Package #1, MSRP of $33,615. Final offer was $25,915, which is about $5,000 below invoice. The dealer also threw in the all weather floor matts and trunk liner for free as well as one of the VW umbrellas for the door. After 8% NYS tax and DMV fees, my out the door price is $28,056. This was a far better deal than I thought was possible and am very happy with the car. Good luck to everyone else out there, I don't know why you would buy a different midsize sedan when these types of deals are available from VW.
    Heiser Toyota offers 10 year warranty on all their cars, it's not bumber-to-bumper tho you have to pay to get it, and it's only 3 additional years. So I am pretty happy with what they gave me fot that price.
  • sccrrefsccrref Member Posts: 4
    Go to Mats.com or weathertech.com they have a lot of thing for the dogs.
    Pete
  • rico23rico23 Member Posts: 29
    Hello everyone im trying to get a 06 sport v6 with the jbl stereo. Could anyone tell me if they've gotten any quotes or how much they paid. I got a quote for 24,617+++ but this seems high. Any input would be appreciated.
    If you can buy a loaded (sunroof, side bags, tow prep,tonneau cover, DRL,)Sport AWD V6 with JBL for less that $25500, drive your salesman to the bank with you so he does not disapear while you get the cash to close the deal.

Let me know where, I want to get here tomorrow and get one too!
  • jimdrewjimdrew Member Posts: 84
    I paid $26000.00 with moon roof and JBL and side airbags and mats and cover for the back and running lights. I am very happy with that. However they did give at least $1500.00 more on my trade than anyone else.

Jimmy Drew
  • cjosephsoncjosephson Member Posts: 24
    I was just curious if anyone needed to special order a RAV4 due to shortages of the "limited" model in certain colors.

My wife wanted the limited in the light blue or "Pacific blue" was told none were available in the 2006 or 2007 in the “limited” model. The dealer did a special order for the nautical blue color (her second choice) but it would have to be a 2007 and would take 30-60 days to arrive. The deal was for invoice + $500. Not sure exactly cost of 07. The invoice for the 06 limited is $23,000. Does this sound fishy? Thanks for anyone’s input and similar purchasing experience. I live in Florida. Thanks!
    Well you realy don't give enough info to know. Is it a 4 or v6 and is it AWD or FWD model? Also what is on it.
    It looks like the last of the 2006 models get delivered this week and some 2007 are coming in. Teh 2007 prices are almost identical to 2006 once you factor in that side curtain bags are standard on 2007. The only thing that went up really is the JBL stereo by about $300 due to Sirus and Bluetooth compatiblity.

Since you don't say much about what your buying, it is hard to say if $23,000 is good. But I would say if you can get a Limited 2007 now for $500 over invoice your doing well. You can find the exact invoice prices for every model and option here on Edmunds. You can see typical good prices for 2006 and 2007s at www.fitzmall.com.

In general Limited are hard to get. V6 AWC Limited are very hard to get and with leather, almost impossible. I think they are raising production amounts of Limited and V6 for 2007. You can see lots of RAV4s coming in if you go to Toyota web site and do a "build and price" using zip 34423.

In simple terms MSRP less $2000 is in the ballpark of a good price I think for a loaded RAV4. You do not really "special order" a Toyota. You tell the dealer what you like and if that configuration is set for your region he tries to get one allocated to him to sell to you. If he cannot get one via allocation, he tries to trade for one with an ohter dealer. If the detail configuration you want is not set for your region, you never get it! For example, in 2006 you could not get a Sport with side curtain bags in NY even though they are listed as an option.

Good luck

Since 2007s are not really here for another week or two the posted prices are likely to come down sharply in a month. But you got a good markeup price already it seems.
    Thanks for the feedback! I ordered a 4 cylinder in the limited. You're right, the 07s have the side bags standard. The dealer printed me an invoice from "their" computer and it was about $500 more than what I found in Consumer Reports. I'm not going to haggle over $500, you know what I mean. What's the difference when you’re spending over $20,000 for a new car. They told me that the majority of the new 07 "limiteds" come with the upgraded JBL stereo system, satellite radio and "bluetooth" capabilities and mine will be equiped with these features. These are not considered "standard" but that's what I'm getting in the package. I told them I didn't want to pay for the Toyo group ($699). I think I'm getting it "thrown-in" the deal. Do you really need that extra undercoating and the vin etched in the window? Floor mats are iffy. I might get lucky and they will throw those in also.

My wife had to have the electronic seats (only on the limted)more than anything. I admit, the limited has alot of nice upgrades and is not much more costly than the base model. She also wanted a specific color which resulted in the special order for the "nautical blue" in the limited edition.

I also wanted the 4 cyl for fuel economy. We live in Florida and don't have hills to clime and we don't plan on towing anything.I thought the 4 was peppy enough and got me in and out of traffic and on the interstate with out fanfare.

Actually, the delay in taking delivery of the RAV4 is a good thing since it gives me time to sell her car privately. You never get what the car is worth in a trade! I also wanted to take a look at the redesigned Honda CRV. If it knocks my socks off, I my tell Toyota to take a hike! More than likely, I’ll stick with the RAV4. Toyotas have the greatest fuel economy, resale value, and reliability. The RAV4 is all fun to drive!

If you have any other thoughts, please respond.

Thanks!

Chuck from Florida
  • diana3111diana3111 Member Posts: 2
    We are looking for a RAV4 sport 4-cyl. I've contacted quite a few dealers and the best price I can find is 300 over invoice. One dealer did not have the 06 in the color we wanted, but had just got in an 07. He finally agreed to give us the 07 at 300 over invoice.

What do you think, is that the best price I will be able to get? We had planned to buy the car tomorrow.

In june I bought a v6 Ford Mustang at 500 under invoice so I was hoping to get the RAV4 under invoice not over.

I live in the San Francisco Bay area.

Thanks,
    Diane
    Diane,

Please read my comments regarding color selection. RAV4s are hard to get if you are looking for a specific color and trim. I needed the blue in a "limited". My wife insisted on electronic adjustable seats which are only available in the limited. The best I could do is $500 over invoice and will have to wait 30-60 days until the 07 in my color and trim is available. Your deal sounds reasonable. When you spend 23,000 for a new car, I don't see the sense of haggling over a couple of hundred dollars. The 07 has more standard equipment so it all works out in the long run. If you don't mind getting a base model and color is not an issue, you might get a better deal.

Chuck from FL
  • anolinanolin Member Posts: 2
    I'd always heard that car manufacturer "family plans" are not really great deals -- that you could get to the same number with a little haggling. But, with an in-demand vehicle as the 06-07 RAV4, I may have to take advantage of this price:

2007 RAV4 LTD 4x4 V6
    Dealer Price = $23,249.00
    Delivery Allowance Program Adjustment = -$264.00
    Calculated Base Cost = $22,985.00

..what do you think?
    For an 07 that is a good price for the next few months I would guess. If you could find a 2006 you might get it undr invoice by a few hundred. But may not be worth it if want to seel in 3 yrs or something due to being "last years model" in a way.
    Someone is fibbing if you are "buying" a RAV4 V6 limited for that price unless it totally stripped which is unusual
  • anolinanolin Member Posts: 2
    Again, this is under the "Associates/Family Purchase" plan. Still too good to be true?
    Just check the RAV4 Spec sheet. I know in 2006, only the driver seat was power in Limited.
    if you can get it for that price, buy it!
  • vivavegas99vivavegas99 Member Posts: 39
    I am not sure about other parts of the country, but I live in Las Vegas. We "special ordered" our 2006 RAV4 Limited 4WD V6 in Nautical Blue with leather interior on July 1. After MUCH hassle and incorrect information we now have a black w/cloth interior. Turns out you can't special order a car because Toyota only provides what is popular in the region you live. Our dealership (Desert Toyota - never will I buy from them again) didn't tell us this until 8 weeks after we ordered. They only place 2 orders a month and they can request specific colors and options but it's no guarantee. You get what the manufacurer gives you. The RAVS specifically are manufactured in Japan. So you get a better car mechanically, at least that's my opinion, but the color choices? Forget about it. Nautical Blue isn't even offered anymore and I REALLY wanted that colr.

Good luck! Maybe your region is different than mine! :-)
    Thanks everyone for the responses. It’s great that we have these forums where we can get information we need before we make major decisions! The price by Anolin is very helpful. That's the best price I've seen but not that much lower than what I've been quoted. These RVA4s apparently are hard to wiggle with. They appear to sell themselves and the dealers know it. No rebates, no incentives. We could have gotten the Santa Fe for around $20,000 ($3,000 cash back) but you get what you pay for. The ride sucked and he fuel economy of the RAV4 much better and is the key as well as quality and ride. So, I'll wait for my special order. I actually called the dealer today and expanded my choices to include the V6. The fuel consumption is supposedly not much more than the 4. In the meantime, I’m going to checkout the redesigned CRV. That's going to be pricy as well as probably another long wait till get what I want.