Chevrolet HHR

revkarevka Member Posts: 1,750
And to start, here's some news from Edmunds' Headlines section: Chevy Plans Retro HHR.

What do you think? ;-)

Revka
Host
Hatchbacks & Wagons Boards

Comments

• revkarevka Member Posts: 1,750
    I came across at cnnmoney: GM to produce retro cross-over. This may not be a permanent link.

If you come across any other news about the Chevy HRR, feel free to share it here! Also, in accordance with our Town Hall guidelines, please do not link to other sites that also host message boards or chats. Thanks!

Revka
    Host
  • revkarevka Member Posts: 1,750
    Hi nextmoon - Thanks for the link!

Btw, I thought the retro look would appeal to more members here, but I suppose it's to wait for more details to be released before we see more activity here. If they throw in a 220 hp engine and keep the price below 20k, perhaps that might generate more interest. ;-)

Revka
    Host
  • wale_bate1wale_bate1 Member Posts: 1,982
    You know, it looks too much like a fairly large SUV to me, and not enough like a retro wagon. Also, after seeing an SSR in person, and reading the vital stats and a few reviews, well, I'm not much impressed with GM's retro efforts.

The PT is more at a retro wagon a la panel truck, and pulls it off with real panache. I don't the the GM designers are quite there.
  • hammen2hammen2 Member Posts: 1,284
    Funny you should say that, because Bryan Nesbitt, the guy behind the PT Cruiser, is the chief designer of the HHR...
  • wale_bate1wale_bate1 Member Posts: 1,982
    Interesting! Thanks for that tidbit, hammen.

I think he may have had more support and fewer, umm, guidelines under the old Chryler management. Just a theory... ;)
  • theo2709theo2709 Member Posts: 476
    All-New HHR Adds To Chevrolet's Growing Family Of Crossover

DETROIT- Chevrolet Motor Division has officially selected the name HHR for its all-new crossover vehicle. HHR will begin production in summer of 2005 as a 2006 model.

"With its expressive design and surprising functionality, HHR is a great addition to our family of Chevrolet vehicles," said Pete Langenhorst, Chevrolet Cobalt and HHR marketing director.

HHR was an internal codename for "heritage high roof," representing the design of Chevrolet's trucks in the late 1940s. The styling of the HHR reflects both the look of a 1949 Suburban and the current SSR.

HHR is part of Chevrolet's new small vehicle lineup, which includes the all-new 2005 Cobalt and 2004 Aveo. It will be the third vehicle based off of GM's Delta global architecture.
  • jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    to quote Motor Trend, "It looks a decade beyond the PT Cruiser, yet is appearing half a decade after the PT Cruiser."
    http://www.wieck.com/public/*2PV_062778

BTW Chevy's new tagline is "An American Revolution"
  • tomcat630tomcat630 Member Posts: 854
    It seems better than the PT, which is just a Neon wagon. Friends reanted a PT and it was cramped, and rode like a 67 Chevy pickup.
    the PT Cruiser is classified as a truck. Wonder if GM will try to classify the HHR as a truck.
    Hell since the Magnum is a "truck", why not? I bet this will be a truck.
    bring up the CAFE numbers for the truck segment. (Bring that average from 18 MPG to 20 MPG)
  • dindakdindak Member Posts: 6,632
    I can't say that I am very excited about this vehicle. GM should try and do something a little different than the PT. I'm sure it will sell, but I really prefer the looks of the PT.
    the looks of the Pacifica, the versatility of my Odyssey, the comfort of the Odyssey, the gizmos of the Sienna, all for $30-$33K loaded, with three rows of seats, a NAV system, power liftgate, heated seats and Automatic Climate Control.
  • regfootballregfootball Member Posts: 2,166
    actually is more interesting than the PT cruiser but here's the deal

-retro is dead....
    -the PT cruiser was the 'original' so no way to match the market buzz

if this had come out 1 year after the PT it would have a lot more impact. Pretty much another example of GM's marketing and product development ineptness.

still, it should be an interesting vehicle. I hope it has a bunch more cargo room than the PT....if it does it should sell well.

If it has the utility of the element, too it should be popular.

Chevy would do well to have a performance version right out of the chute. Something with a 0-60 in 6 seconds.

Crysler would be wise to respark interest in the PT cruiser by offering a stretch version of it. One with more room and cargo space.
    Retro is not dead, it always comes back.

;-)

HHR should be canned for something similar but modern with cool features. Basically a good looking version of the Element.
    It will have the same engines as the Cobalt, which would mean a 220/240 SS version. Also, it is big. Pretty much the same size as a Highlander.
    engines designed for a Cobalt? No way, I'm not looking at it if it's plastered with a 170 HP base engine but weighs as much as a Toyota Highlander Limited AWD CUV!
    It's based off the same platform as the Cobalt. It will be four-cylinder only. Delta is pretty light.
    it better be light, or there better be a turbo engine like the PT Cruiser GT.
    The same engines as the Cobalt means a 220/240 HP S/C engine.
    in which model? The base or the sport model?
    Whatever they call the sport model. HHR SS is a bit of a mouthful, though. :o()
    for trim lines:
    HHR Special Value
    HHR Base
    HHR LS
    HHR LT
    HHR SPORT.
    I forgot to post this a while back:

http://www.canadiandriver.com/news/03images/hhr.jpg

Nice and big, even though it's still CAD.

Oh, and *bump*.
    kinda weird, more of a bloated PT Cruiser.
    I think I like the PT better.
    I like the convertible of the PT better.
  • npgmbrnpgmbr Member Posts: 248
    and am planning on buying one. I like the PT as well but its not quite my style. Also thought of buying an Element but felt too old for it (and im only 32). This fits what I want in a retro styled vehicle very well. I just hope its not underpowered or too small.
    Actually you should feel too young to buy an Element. The average buyer age is somewhere in the 40s.

The HHR is supposed to be very roomy and big for its segment.
    Good. Something roomy and big that's not an SUV...
  • 6thbeatle6thbeatle Member Posts: 180
    yuk. yukky. and yukkiest of the yukky. in a nutshell.
    What I meant by (too small) was the size of the PT. Although I have only been in a PT once and it was just for a minute. It just didn't seem very roomy inside. If the HHR is about the size of an Element then its right up my alley. As a single guy, with only a cat that thinks shes a dog, I don't need much room but at the same time I don't want something that does not make efficient use of space. The Element does that very well but the HHR just looks more my style.
    nothing new, huh?
    Nope, GM is doing a good job about keeping it a secret.
    they following in Honda's footsteps?
    Well I hope someone can find out something soon. Would love to know more about the HHR.
    we can always speculate on this board. That's how the Future Odyssey board has so many posts. By speculating and asking the few insiders that show up on the board with questions that lead us one step closer to figuring out the mystery.
  • rick2rick2 Member Posts: 3
    The HHR is nice looking, but the time to capitalize on the 'retro sedan' thing was 5 years ago. They're offering nothing substantially different than the PT Cruiser with this car. Is GM so fat and bloated that it takes them 5 years to respond to market demand with a new product? They've got to give their heads a collective shake; they kill the successful Camaro/Firebird, and start importing the Holden Monaro jellybean in its place and call it a GTO. With decisions like this, I can only assume they're banking on GM loyalty to carry the day, because they're not really giving anyone a reason to buy GM.

If they were going to plunk a V8 in this thing, give it rear wheel drive, then maybe it'd be different enough to justify bringing to market. As it stands, it's a 'me too' car, about 5 years too late.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    GTO isn't selling well...I'm not sure the timing would be good for a smallish yet very inefficient wagon.

-juice
    Exactly; GTO isn't selling well, because it is NOT what the market wants. It lacks any kind of styling.

Witness the new Dodge Hemi powered Magnum wagon. Dodge cannot keep up with the demand for the 300C and will be facing a shortage also with the Magnum. Dodge vastly under estimated the numbers of people who would be ordering the Hemi powered Magnum. It also makes use of Mercedes' proven variable cylinder displacement to conscerve fuel. It is styling and power for an affordable price, and RWD with a V8 in an attractive and versatile vehicle. Exactly what many were looking for.
    Are they really selling well? I have seen very few of those on the road (Magnum and 300C), FWIW.

HHR would have to cost $30 grand with a V8. It would be another Tahoe, almost.

-juice
    I live an hour from where they're made; I see truckload after truckload heading down the highway. People are waiting 4 to 6 months for them. Dealers are being 'rationed'. The plant is adding a third shift to keep up with demand.
    Tahoe, you mean?

Tahoe is a cash cow, no doubt, but why would GM offer a cheaper and less profitable alternative that might just cut into some of those sales? They have more demand than they know what to do with.

HHR can go after a younger, trendier niche.

-juice
    I think he meant Magnum.
    Yeah I'll admit, GM is very very very slow to respond to market trends. I like the HHR but not sure its a good idea to bring it to market so late. But then I think I'd still like to have one.

I think the problem with the GTO is the price. GM killed off the Camaro/Firebird which started in the high teens and then bring in the GTO whose base starts in the low 30s.

Of course this is great news for Ford and the Mustang particularly since they are facing no competition in that market from Diamler.
    It could be a Magnum competitor, if they drop in the right engine. Maybe a V8 with DOD, or a turbocharged V6.
  • a_l_hubcapsa_l_hubcaps Member Posts: 518
    I think you are confused about the size of this vehicle. It will be on the Delta (Ion/Cobalt) platform, with 4-cyl Ecotecs. It's going to be sized more like a Matrix or a PT than a Magnum. What will make or break this car is PRICING. The PT got away with high prices for awhile, because of the initial buzz, but now they are having a hard time moving them. If Chevy lots are full of HHRs with $24K stickers, they're going to have the same problem.

-Andrew L
    they could have one version of the HHR at $24K, but the majority of the ones on dealer lots should be in the $18-$20K region. The 24K model should be the SS, and the $18K model the LS. The $20K model should be the LT.