Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevrolet HHR

Comments

• I haven't noticed the sound when the a/c is on. It's winter here in Chicago. But I notice it in every other setting. It is unusually loud.
  • Thanks for the info I guess everything is normal except my tachometer that ticks while engine running! :D
  • smogdungsmogdung Posts: 349
    I had a Dodge Minivan with the same 2.4 L engine that's in the PT Cruiser....they have timing belts instead of timing chains....at about 60-70K miles the belt stretches (PINGING!)and you have 2 choices....use premium or pay them several hundred dollars to replace the belt (internal)....eventually...you'll have no choice. Also, those are iron block -aluminum head engines...more likly to blow head gaskets I think (metals expand / contract at different rates). The ecotech is all Aluminum, chain driven.
  • ray80ray80 Posts: 1,269
    Its my understanding orders are now being taken for this. Victory red exterior (My favorite vehicle color) plus some other added unique items. I should have waited to get mine :cry: :mad:
  • Don't feel bad. There's always something new and/or improved just around the corner.

Example: Bought my 2004 Silverado in October of 2004. At the time I was comparing the Silvy to a 2004 Avalanche sitting on the same lot. End result- Ave+~$5k = Silvy (equipment levels). So even though I would have preferred the Avalanche, I jumped on the Silverado. December 2004, one of GMs Employee Pricing deals went into effect. 2004/2005(!) Avalanches sitting on the same lot, FULLY loaded, $1k less than I paid for my truck. :cry:

Worse. Now GM is bringing out the new Avalanche. I'm probably going to invest some savings to trade my Silverado on the new Avalanche. Rumor has it that there will be a 6.0l 355hp version later in the year however. I'm debating whether I have the patience to wait for that, or whether to just go for the LTZ package NOW with the 5.3l... (Same thing applies to cars that happens with computers nowadays. No sooner than you choose one but it's out of date. ;) )
  • I picked up my Black HHR LT2 last night and I'm totally in love with the thing. I was getting compliments on the vehicle all day, even from my brother-in-law who is a die-hard Ford man.

I was a little worried that the jump from a Silverado to the HHR might be a little extreme and take a while to get used to, but it really hasn't been an issue whatsoever.

Did I mention that I love my new car? :)

I used this site, these forums especially, as a research tool and they were more helpful than I could have imagined. Thanks to everyone for the great questions that were asked for the detailed and helpful answers that were given.

Me + HHR = :shades:
    Stop looking at it so much....you'll go blind!
  • Hello I am Lestat and I am in the market for a HHR. I have gone into review sites over and over and all I read is how it is a duplicate of the PT Cruiser. I would like some input from actual owners to let me know what is good and what is bad about the HHR. My real concern however, is how does it function in snow conditions I currently own a 1993 Mazda 929 and I am sliding all over the place maybe it does not help that the car is RWD.
    Mine is a 2LT with the 2.4L, it has an automatic transmission and like all HHRs with an automatic transmission it has electronic traction control. I've been thru 2 decent snow storms (6-12inches) and it works great. The antilock brakes work great too. All HHRs with an automatic transmission also have remote start from the factory...good feature. Averaging about 26-27 mpg so far.
    Ours seems to be pretty good in snow ( I always run on winter tires here in the NE ,RWD,FWD,AWD whatever I'm driving) The only thing I've noticed is I tend to overpower it a bit (2.4 engine running 93 manual tranny) from a start mostly, I think if I ran lower octane I wouldn't be doing that.
  • Thank you very much for your input.
  • Thanks for the input. I'll try not to over power it if I do dicide to get the HHR.
    What does 93 octane cost ya? I don't even think they sell anything over 91 around Kansas City...it's about $2.25 here right now...did see 87 for $1.97 Saturday....
    While I live in CT, I buy fuel usually in Mass (Sshh) I paid $2.34 sunday down a bit from a couple weeks ago. 93 seems to be the norm around here rather then 91, and it runs .20 above 87
  • I just purchased a base model LS and was delighted at the level of standard equipment on it. Comes with AC, cruise control, CD player, power windows and door locks, power mirrors and seats with arm rests. I guess it's been a long time since I've bought a new car, but thought this was pretty good for a base model. Found one at a dealer out of state, and basically had a deal pretty much closed via internet quotes and e-mails. Substantial discount (>$1K) was offered to get it out the door before Feb 6th, so I jumped on it. Very satisfied with the quality of the product and the way I was treated at the dealership.
    Maybe the best part of it is that now I don't have to read any more auto reviews written by idiot moto-journalists who never designed a thing in their lives!
  • ht2ht2 Posts: 1
    the hhr has tow different engines one is high output, i was talking to a dealer and he say you are suppose to put hight octane in it but he says you dont have to, what kind of gas do you use
    I have the 2.4L. To get the full 172 hp you would want to use premium. But I have tried full tanks of 87 octane and experienced no pinging. I suppose if you did a scientific test you could show faster acceleration with premium...but, in every-day moderate driving it's pretty hard to tell the difference.
  • Kind of a stupid question, I know, but is there a low fuel indicator on this vehicle?

I was running VERY low the other day, however I saw no indicator other than the needle almost laying flat. I've just become so accustomed to seeing a light or some kind of indicator telling me that I'm running low on fuel that I pretty much look for that before I think about filling up again.

Thanks.
    I tested it once ;) , yes there is. I believe it dings and shows in the D.I.C.
  • There are probably two additional warnings you'll see besides the needle, if it's like most new GM vehicles. In addition to the standard chime / light in the fuel guage area, if you have a DIC (probably do, but I don't know if GM makes it an option on some trims of HHR) you'll most likely see a LOW FUEL WARNING message in the display area. My 2004 Silverado uses the digital odometer display area for double duty as the DIC display, and I was fortunate enough to run it that low just last evening (extremely rare for me to let it go below 1/4 tank on the guage). When it did I got the chime, light, and a simultaneous message appeared in the odometer area with the exact message above.
  • I do have to tell a strange story about my HHR fuel gage.Last week i had about 68 gallons left for fuel so I figured id go get the kids and then fuel up. I really wasn't worried. The needle was about 1/4 tank. Well i pulled into my son's daycare and when i came out and started up, the needle dropped to the red and stayed there even after a few minutes and the low fuel message popped up....??????? i'm thinking how could this be???? i could'nt get the message off . So i went and fueled up.
    This happened once in the very beginning when i had the car about a week. Has this happened to anyone else???
    Now just to let you know, ive had my fuel range go as low as 40 gallons . so it doesnt happen all the time. ;)
    When mine came on I was headed down a pretty steep decline, didn't go out even on flat roads after that until I fueled up.
  • Yep. That was going to be my reply too. Parking facing downhill seems to make it read closer to empty. I knew my truck was low of fuel last week, but it hadn't hit the point where it was setting off the chime, lights, or message when I made it to work. I backed it up in the parking space I normally use, which is on an incline. When I started the truck in the evening was when it decided to warn me. I had to make a stop midway between work and the gas station (around 17 miles between the two). Where I turned off the engine was level. When I restarted the light and warning cleared. ;)
    I assume you meant to say miles not gallons....I think the question is....at some point the "fuel range" feature kicks over from telling you how many miles it thinks (based upon your recent driving style (mpg)) you have left on the remaining fuel in the tank....to JUST a warning message...no expected range reading....I think is a safeguard ...so people don't try to take it down to the last few ounces of fuel...

I don't know if the switch over from a reading to a warning is based upon how many gallons are in the tank or how many miles it thinks you can go on the remaining fuel it senses.

I did have occasion (drove 407 miles on a tank before I stopped to fill up) to notice something odd...driving conservatively (getting good mpg) & getting close to the 400 mile mark...I then made a stop.....got back in the car & drove briskly...soon after the expected range was far less than before the stop....I suspect the computer projects your expected remaining range based upon your most recent driving style ...probably looks back over last few minutes ????.........when I did fill up...at 407 miles it took 15.2 gallons to fill up...=26.8 mpg....it has a 16.2 gallon tank....when the reading switched over from expected range to just a warning...the trip meter was at about 397 miles...then I drove about 10 more miles before I stopped for gas...so my conservative estimate is with the 2.4L automatic...you should easily be able to go about 35 miles after the WARNING message comes on.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America: I70 & I75Posts: 18,251
    I read somewhere that the estimated miles left on my LeSabre was based on the last 25 miles of driving.
  • pacermanpacerman Posts: 62
    I test drove a 2LT today and was looking for the overdrive on -off button. My other cars have a little thumb switch on the shift lever for controlling this. I like this feature as we live in pretty mountainous terrain and it is nice to blip the switch to get back into 3rd when descending a hill. The salesguy didn't know anything about it. So we looked at the owners manual when we finished the test drive. Evidently the "I" is 3rd gear so when going down a hill one has to manually shift down a cog. Am I right in thinking this?? Pretty nice ride BTW but it was loaded and a bit more than I need.
    That's the way I read it too...looks like L is 1st & 2nd (or maybe just 1st ???), but it definately says I is 1st, 2nd & 3rd. D= 1st-4th. I'll have to try it....there were times with the RAV4 we traded in where using that little button to take it out of overdrive was useful to keep the revs up on an exit sweeper & back onto an interstate.
  • bporter1bporter1 Posts: 229
    Most if not all GM auto trannies do not have an OD button. The transmission will go into OD at around 45mph. I have a Buick Regal and I do not have an OD button, I also owned a 94 GMC Sonoma pickup and it did not have an OD button either. Both transmissions act(ed) the same way as descibed above.
  • tomshhrtomshhr Posts: 5
    The best suggestion I could give you is to get the running boards, otherwise you will sand blast the rear door and the rocker with gravel, sand.

Otherwise the power in my HHR with the 2,4 Auto is real good, have not been in the mountains and I know the climbs you are talking about.

It is easy to get used to the windshield, think of the HHR with a chopped look of an old coupe. The mirror can be pushed up to the headliner and adjusted, it has dual pivot points. Moving it up gives you the vision out the windshield you encountered.

If you have rented one you know our pleasure. If people want to rent one, most of the National Car locations have between 4 - 15 HHRs on the lots, unless someone like me has one when on the road for business, Fly and drive a HHR.

:) :D ;) :shades:
  • skibry1skibry1 Posts: 174
    When I test drove an HHR that was the first thing I did
    while adjusting my driving postion.Getting the rear view mirror up out of a sight line is pretty standard for me.
    And when did auto makers quit putting the mount button in
    the darkened part of the windsheild? In my present zoom/zoom,I had to relocate the ENTIRE button because the adjustment wasn't quite high enough.The 5speed I test drove
    was sweet except I didn't care for the color. A shiny rust
    colored didn't make it for me...still looking.