Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet HHR

Comments

• lestat520lestat520 Member Posts: 4
    Thank you very much for your input.
  • lestat520lestat520 Member Posts: 4
    Thanks for the input. I'll try not to over power it if I do dicide to get the HHR.
  • smogdungsmogdung Member Posts: 349
    What does 93 octane cost ya? I don't even think they sell anything over 91 around Kansas City...it's about $2.25 here right now...did see 87 for $1.97 Saturday....
  • ray80ray80 Member Posts: 1,655
    While I live in CT, I buy fuel usually in Mass (Sshh) I paid $2.34 sunday down a bit from a couple weeks ago. 93 seems to be the norm around here rather then 91, and it runs .20 above 87
  • lusitanialusitania Member Posts: 14
    I just purchased a base model LS and was delighted at the level of standard equipment on it. Comes with AC, cruise control, CD player, power windows and door locks, power mirrors and seats with arm rests. I guess it's been a long time since I've bought a new car, but thought this was pretty good for a base model. Found one at a dealer out of state, and basically had a deal pretty much closed via internet quotes and e-mails. Substantial discount (>$1K) was offered to get it out the door before Feb 6th, so I jumped on it. Very satisfied with the quality of the product and the way I was treated at the dealership.
    Maybe the best part of it is that now I don't have to read any more auto reviews written by idiot moto-journalists who never designed a thing in their lives!
  • ht2ht2 Member Posts: 1
    the hhr has tow different engines one is high output, i was talking to a dealer and he say you are suppose to put hight octane in it but he says you dont have to, what kind of gas do you use
    I have the 2.4L. To get the full 172 hp you would want to use premium. But I have tried full tanks of 87 octane and experienced no pinging. I suppose if you did a scientific test you could show faster acceleration with premium...but, in every-day moderate driving it's pretty hard to tell the difference.
  • lopperlopper Member Posts: 6
    Kind of a stupid question, I know, but is there a low fuel indicator on this vehicle?

I was running VERY low the other day, however I saw no indicator other than the needle almost laying flat. I've just become so accustomed to seeing a light or some kind of indicator telling me that I'm running low on fuel that I pretty much look for that before I think about filling up again.

Thanks.
    I tested it once ;) , yes there is. I believe it dings and shows in the D.I.C.
  • jerrywimerjerrywimer Member Posts: 588
    There are probably two additional warnings you'll see besides the needle, if it's like most new GM vehicles. In addition to the standard chime / light in the fuel guage area, if you have a DIC (probably do, but I don't know if GM makes it an option on some trims of HHR) you'll most likely see a LOW FUEL WARNING message in the display area. My 2004 Silverado uses the digital odometer display area for double duty as the DIC display, and I was fortunate enough to run it that low just last evening (extremely rare for me to let it go below 1/4 tank on the guage). When it did I got the chime, light, and a simultaneous message appeared in the odometer area with the exact message above.
  • micheleg68micheleg68 Member Posts: 4
    I do have to tell a strange story about my HHR fuel gage.Last week i had about 68 gallons left for fuel so I figured id go get the kids and then fuel up. I really wasn't worried. The needle was about 1/4 tank. Well i pulled into my son's daycare and when i came out and started up, the needle dropped to the red and stayed there even after a few minutes and the low fuel message popped up....??????? i'm thinking how could this be???? i could'nt get the message off . So i went and fueled up.
    This happened once in the very beginning when i had the car about a week. Has this happened to anyone else???
    Now just to let you know, ive had my fuel range go as low as 40 gallons . so it doesnt happen all the time. ;)
    When mine came on I was headed down a pretty steep decline, didn't go out even on flat roads after that until I fueled up.
  • jerrywimerjerrywimer Member Posts: 588
    Yep. That was going to be my reply too. Parking facing downhill seems to make it read closer to empty. I knew my truck was low of fuel last week, but it hadn't hit the point where it was setting off the chime, lights, or message when I made it to work. I backed it up in the parking space I normally use, which is on an incline. When I started the truck in the evening was when it decided to warn me. I had to make a stop midway between work and the gas station (around 17 miles between the two). Where I turned off the engine was level. When I restarted the light and warning cleared. ;)
    I assume you meant to say miles not gallons....I think the question is....at some point the "fuel range" feature kicks over from telling you how many miles it thinks (based upon your recent driving style (mpg)) you have left on the remaining fuel in the tank....to JUST a warning message...no expected range reading....I think is a safeguard ...so people don't try to take it down to the last few ounces of fuel...

I don't know if the switch over from a reading to a warning is based upon how many gallons are in the tank or how many miles it thinks you can go on the remaining fuel it senses.

I did have occasion (drove 407 miles on a tank before I stopped to fill up) to notice something odd...driving conservatively (getting good mpg) & getting close to the 400 mile mark...I then made a stop.....got back in the car & drove briskly...soon after the expected range was far less than before the stop....I suspect the computer projects your expected remaining range based upon your most recent driving style ...probably looks back over last few minutes ????.........when I did fill up...at 407 miles it took 15.2 gallons to fill up...=26.8 mpg....it has a 16.2 gallon tank....when the reading switched over from expected range to just a warning...the trip meter was at about 397 miles...then I drove about 10 more miles before I stopped for gas...so my conservative estimate is with the 2.4L automatic...you should easily be able to go about 35 miles after the WARNING message comes on.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,146
    I read somewhere that the estimated miles left on my LeSabre was based on the last 25 miles of driving.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• pacermanpacerman Member Posts: 62
    I test drove a 2LT today and was looking for the overdrive on -off button. My other cars have a little thumb switch on the shift lever for controlling this. I like this feature as we live in pretty mountainous terrain and it is nice to blip the switch to get back into 3rd when descending a hill. The salesguy didn't know anything about it. So we looked at the owners manual when we finished the test drive. Evidently the "I" is 3rd gear so when going down a hill one has to manually shift down a cog. Am I right in thinking this?? Pretty nice ride BTW but it was loaded and a bit more than I need.
    That's the way I read it too...looks like L is 1st & 2nd (or maybe just 1st ???), but it definately says I is 1st, 2nd & 3rd. D= 1st-4th. I'll have to try it....there were times with the RAV4 we traded in where using that little button to take it out of overdrive was useful to keep the revs up on an exit sweeper & back onto an interstate.
  • bporter1bporter1 Member Posts: 229
    Most if not all GM auto trannies do not have an OD button. The transmission will go into OD at around 45mph. I have a Buick Regal and I do not have an OD button, I also owned a 94 GMC Sonoma pickup and it did not have an OD button either. Both transmissions act(ed) the same way as descibed above.
  • tomshhrtomshhr Member Posts: 5
    The best suggestion I could give you is to get the running boards, otherwise you will sand blast the rear door and the rocker with gravel, sand.

Otherwise the power in my HHR with the 2,4 Auto is real good, have not been in the mountains and I know the climbs you are talking about.

It is easy to get used to the windshield, think of the HHR with a chopped look of an old coupe. The mirror can be pushed up to the headliner and adjusted, it has dual pivot points. Moving it up gives you the vision out the windshield you encountered.

If you have rented one you know our pleasure. If people want to rent one, most of the National Car locations have between 4 - 15 HHRs on the lots, unless someone like me has one when on the road for business, Fly and drive a HHR.

:):D;) :shades:
  • skibry1skibry1 Member Posts: 174
    When I test drove an HHR that was the first thing I did
    while adjusting my driving postion.Getting the rear view mirror up out of a sight line is pretty standard for me.
    And when did auto makers quit putting the mount button in
    the darkened part of the windsheild? In my present zoom/zoom,I had to relocate the ENTIRE button because the adjustment wasn't quite high enough.The 5speed I test drove
    was sweet except I didn't care for the color. A shiny rust
    colored didn't make it for me...still looking.
    OK, at about 65mph I pulled it down to "I" from "D" going into an exit ramp sweeper & back onto another highway to keep the revs up & reaccelerate .....the transition was smooth and almost imperceptable....but of some value...it allowed me to "engine brake" while maintaining RPMs. Manual also says that if you did accidently pull it down all the way to "L" ..it wouldn't shift there unless you were actually going slow enough. By the way, anyone out there as hooked on channel 24 (SUNNY) on XM as much as I am? My son found a deal on the internet to extend for only $77/year....bout half what they normally ask?
  • 62vetteefp62vetteefp Member Posts: 6,043
    Right now I listen to XM kids by force (6 and 5 year old). I prefer something a bit more modern-the Loft or Cafe.
    I really want to thank old skibry1 ....#1078 the mirror position was pretty much my only complaint about the HHR....wow, I was able to move it 3-4 inches higher....THANKS!!!!!! Pass this info on....a lot of people have complained in various forums I've read about that mirror position.
    Opps, I mean thanks tomshhr #1077, guess you mentioned it first.
  • tomshhrtomshhr Member Posts: 5
    Tell them TomsHHR sent you.

You can get more views on how more owners view the HHR. Outside of the minor issues they are a good driving unit and turn lots of heads. Check the local Emergency room in my town. I drive around and people appear in droves with sore necks from taking that second look.

See the USA in your HHR
  • skibry1skibry1 Member Posts: 174
    I'm just out here sharing stuff that makes MY cruz a bit more comfy...and want to pass them forward !
    Supposed to be a white 2LT arriving at a dealership soon...anybody ever seen a white one...Guess I'll have to go look at it...
  • gogirlgogogirlgo Member Posts: 47
    Hi,
    I saw a white one parked near my building downtown Portland about 4 weeks ago. The only one I have driven was the black. To me the white one looked bigger. It may be that the white color contributed to this effect. I know it would be the same size. The car was parked in an area where no one could park next to it and was so clean with a light cloth interior. Not my color of choice, but for those that like white it looked very impressive. :shades:
  • luminalady97luminalady97 Member Posts: 15
    Hello HHR Drivers!

Sounds like we HHR owners are still turning heads! I especially love the looks PT Cruiser drivers give when one pulls up next to me. I actually had one guy in a PT stop in the middle of the road, roll down his window, and ask what my car was and where could he find one!
    My husband is not a car buff, but he turns into a teenager whenever he gets to drive my HHR! He's in his 50's, and all he can say is, "this is too cool, this is way too cool!" To be fair, I'm almost 50, and say the same thing, too! :)

By the way, has anyone seen any commercials for the HHR, and are HHR's hard to come by now?

I have had my Silver LT named HHRvey, for two months now and I LOVE it! I have a sunroof, and added on a windbuffer shield. It gave my car an even sportier look, and really helped with the buffering. It cost $45 installed.

Enjoy the ride.......... :shades:
    Hi, just wondering what your getting for gas mileage??
  • luminalady97luminalady97 Member Posts: 15
    Hi, Pacerman,

I've been getting 24-25MPG around town. I have the smaller eco-engine. I think its labled 2.1 I was pleasantly surprised at the pick-up this engine gives.

I traded in my beloved '01 Malibu LS 6 cylinder for the HHR, and have never once felt like I traded down. I like the fact the HHR SUV is built on a car chassis. I feel I am getting the best of both worlds!
    I am looking forward to checking out the highway MPG when we take a trip this summer. I am counting getting 30 MPG! ;)
  • tomantoman Member Posts: 1
    I've seen many HHR LT's on the local lots, but decided to order a LS today with auto trans, ABS, block heater, sport red/gray. When the dealer tried to place the order, he said there were "constraints" by GM and would not be able to order any LS's for several weeks. Anyone heard of this? Or know where I can find what I'm looking for?
  • 62vetteefp62vetteefp Member Posts: 6,043
    Something like an option or whatever on the LS is short of supply. Until the part is available they will slow down or stop taking orders. Something like a wheel perhaps. Could be caused by a part supplier having some kind of problem to Chev underestimating the number of vehicles with this option and running low on supply.
  • poncho167poncho167 Member Posts: 1,178
    It could also be a dealer who wants to sell what he has on the lot hoping that the customer can't wait.
  • micwebmicweb Member Posts: 1,617
    There are two kinds of constraints - parts shortages, and market demand.

I suspect Chevy is selling so many HHR they are giving priority to the more heavily equipped LTs both on the asembly line and for orders. Just like airlines sell the expensive seats to you anyday of the weak, but dribble out the cheaper seats.

Try another dealer, try another week. Get what you want. Pricing is pretty much fixed, so you should get exactly what you want. It's not like you are going to miss a rebate.
  • novanova Member Posts: 135
    Picking up my orange LT 2.4 auto today, $100.00 over invoice NO dealer fee's minus $3000.00 GM bonus points
    Congratulations !!! Did GM up your card rebate to exactly 3000 from where it was....did that offer expire on 3/31? I think the HHRs are astounding bargains, considering the features / prices.
  • novanova Member Posts: 135
    That was the offer. It was called the top off bonus. I went to the dealer he said that I was the first one that he had seen. They called to confirm with gm card. I have the gold card. One more thing when I got the offer I took my card out of my wallet because I thought any thing I spent from then on would not add any points. I was wrong when the dealer called I must of used it a couple of times before I got the offer so I got $3,209.00 off. The dealer printed out a paper that showed no more than $1,000.00 could be used on the HHR, but after he called GM I got the full $3209.
    100 miles so far loving my orange car in south florida
    That's interesting, I used up my rebate during the "Red tag" sale back on Nov. 28, it was back up to $200 & about 3 weeks ago they sent me a notice it would equal $2K till 3/31.....have had thought of trading in my 2LT for a more fully loaded 2LT.....so maybe after the 15th...I'll get about $2,300.....if as you say it's additive.....actually they upped it about a grand when I bought a 2003 Olds too. I've gotten almost 10K since around 1995...on top of other rebates and negotiations. In the begining it was sweet....it was a 1K/year max of 7K till they figured out that was too sweet. You must have the original gold card like me....max of 3.5K & can use all of it on any vehicle.
    Had hail here today....larger than golf balls..completely covered the ground..lots of people had there cars in driveways.....swiss cheese!!! I put about a quart of those monsters in the freezer...will use them for drinks at party...
    That has put pics of their HHR up on carspace?
    carspace">link title
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Ray, just an FYI... you can search the CarSpace members for HHR owners. Just click the Browse Members link!
    Nice pics Ray.
  • buckellenbuckellen Member Posts: 1
    Hi, my husband & I got a amethyst HHR in late Oct. & we love it! (would even more if it has not been in the shop for 6 weeks of the 5 months since we purchased it) Got caught in the flood at the Russian River on New Years Eve and got flooded under the floor boards. Have since discovered that the leak was actually coming from the rubber molding around the drivers side. Has been repaired twice and still can't seem to locate the source of the leak. Any one else having a problem like this? Appreciate any help.
    I haven't had any problem with water leak, but I did see some people that did. They found rubber grommet in firewall on drivers side was the culprit. Do you have sunroof? They can be source of water problems sometimes also.
  • lusitanialusitania Member Posts: 14
    I suggest using the "Locate a Vehicle" web based service available on the chevy.com website. It'll search all dealers up to 100 miles from your zip code, and you can look at the window sticker for each one. I was able to find the exact color and equipment I wanted. Used the info to leverage my local dealer into a lower price, but eventually went to the dealer with the vehicle in stock when they offered $1000 in coupon rebates. I had established contact with them by asking for an on-line quotation a few weeks prior. Shopping process made simple. Fact is, without the on-line activity they probably wouldn't have sold the car that month, and I probably would have paid a lot more to order the same thing.
    Seems to me I saw a TSB regarding this leak on the right side.It may have been in the customer complaints on the National Transportation Safety page...........
    How deep was the water the car was in?
  • promopromo Member Posts: 1
    Hello, all. I have had my HHR LT since September and for the most part love it. I enjoy being able to hit the gas on the highway and feel the car go when you need to go. It rides smooth and quiet, looks great, is quite comfortable, and has a great sound system.

I get about 21 MPG, but here in Las Vegas you are always stuck in traffic or sitting at a long light. In fact my average speed (reset at each fillup) is always only 20-22 MPH, which is a shame with the fun engine that is under the hood.

Some pet peeves:
    I sometimes drive with my elbow on the windowsill, which is difficult because I get stabbed by the door lock. Likewise when I am at the drive up ATM. I am thinking of cutting them or removing them.

Have you dropped anything under or between the front seats yet? Very hard to get your hand underneath to retrieve anything.

I love all of the storage in the back but I think it is a little lacking in the front, except for the top dashboard box. My Toyota Matrix has a lot more up front storage. There isn't a good place for loose change. I tried the little cup under the armrests but you can't the coins out easily without dropping them.

The switches for the power windows should be where the power mirror switches are and vice versa. And what is that little light in the headliner for? It doesn't seem to be in the manual at all.

Now for some questions that I hope someone can help me out with:

1. I just got an iPod and want to hook it up through the single aux jack on the front of the car's radio. Does anyone know if there is such a cable and if so where I can get one?

2. Has anyone had the roof rails installed? Does the dealer do it or the factory? How much did it cost? I saw them recently and would like to add them to my HHR if it isn't going to cost a fortune.

Thanks for reading and I look forward to any and all comments.

Al in Las Vegas
    20-22 MPH? 21 MPG? What ...you just drive up and down the strip all night in that traffic??? My 2LT with automatic has been averaging 27.5 MPG ....but then, I have to drive 20 miles to the nearest casino in KC. I have to admit though, I do love Vegas. The roof rails cost $150 on the sticker.