Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet HHR

Comments

• jerrywimerjerrywimer Member Posts: 588
    I don't have an HHR (follow this topic because I think the car is pretty sharp, and I'm a bit of an automotive geek), so I can't say too much about your experiences.

But to answer your first question- having looked at several new GM vehicles in showrooms or on the dealer lot with the new radios like yours, that jack seems to be just a standard 1/8" stereo jack, similar to what walkman headphone outputs use. I believe iPod's use the same type of jack and headphones as walkmans.

Connecting either to the radio in the HHR would be a simple job of dropping by the local Radio Shack and buying a 1/8" male to 1/8" male stereo cable, probably in a 3 foot length. Then simply plug one end of the cable into the iPod's headphone jack and the other into the radio's aux jack. After that, set the radio to AUX, and use the iPod's controls to pick / play your tunes, the same way you would if you were using your headphones.

Hope this helps.

(If you don't have a Radio Shack nearby, you may be able to find the same type of cable at a Wal-Mart, or one of the many electronics and audio stores like Circuit City or Best Buy)
  • 62vetteefp62vetteefp Member Posts: 6,043
    That little light is sorta mood lighting. Casts a glow across the console to light up the switches and stuff so you can see at night. Should not be very bright.
  • mrsarmyboymrsarmyboy Member Posts: 1
    We have had our HHR about 4 months now it has 3 chips in ths windshield from the last month. We also had a rock go through the radiator, which isnt under warranty because it is a road hazard.
  • pacermanpacerman Member Posts: 62
    Do you live in an area that the roads are gravel?? Or are you saying that the HHR windshields are more than normal prone to rock pecks, bruising and cracking as in the early Honda Element's??
  • smogdungsmogdung Member Posts: 349
    Absolutely love this car!! 4200 miles on it now, SMOKED a PT Cruiser tonite....2LT Automatic....electronic traction control or not , I still got 2 seconds of tire spin on dry concrete....left foot on brake....right foot giving a little gas , light turns green....SPIN baby SPIN.....& still measured 27 MPG at fill-up!!! Pulls at least .84G on decreasing radius curves!!! Sorry, I'll just go take a pill now....
  • geemacgeemac Member Posts: 28
    I have seen a number of complaints regarding windshield chipping. I have a chip in mine already - 3600 miles. I am waiting for it to turn into a crack so my insurance will replace it. I have read that aftermarket windshields -- not those purchased from GM -- are sturdier and less prone to chipping. Plus, they have a nice tinted strip across the top of the windshield that is not available with a stock GM windshield.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,150
    Do you have a chip or crack? The chips can be drilled and filled if they're not in a visually important area.

Why are the originals more prone to chips?

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

I doubt if there is a problem with the glass itself. It is the upright design of the windshield.
  • novanova Member Posts: 135
    I remember when I bought my brand new chevy Indy 500 pace truck I think it was a 93. I went out to back it out of the garage and the wind sheild was broke.I called the dealer and they said that they were having problems back then. So yes I beleive the glass could have a defect
    That was a completly different issue than what I thought was being complained about. That was a stress issue during glass forming. The problem being reported here is stone throw chips.
  • poncho167poncho167 Member Posts: 1,178
    GM does not make windshields (as with other manufactures). Yes, I believe that aftermarket replacements are stronger than stock, for some reason, and they usually have a life time warranty.

I had one go bad on a car once when a truck threw a small rock that bounced off the windshield. I noticed the crack and I planned on going to the hardware store on the way home to get a fix & fill kit, but I never made it that far. Within a few miles the windshield turn to unfixable spider webs. I cost me $120 to get it replaced by a windshield company and it has a life time warranty. I have had to replace two windshields on two new vehicles.

Some stock windshields that come on GM cars have the top of windshield tint.
  • lostlost Member Posts: 64
    Windshields on todays cars are different from years ago. The glass is thinner to save weight,and to make up for the fact that the glass is thinner the glass is tempered to be harder. This harder glass is much more prone to chipping then the older softer glass.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,150
    Someone commented that replacements are better. If you start looking sideways through the windshields of cars next to you, you notice that some have a lot of ripple effect. These appear to be replacement windshields, at least on GM cars. I was next to a recent ParkAvenue at a light Friday and was looking sideways through the windshield and noticed the ripple.

It used to be that certain foreign brands had a lot of rippling-apparently that was the original windshields since a lot of them had it.

I'm not sure all replacements are as good.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• twaintwain Member Posts: 185
    The HHR has received criticism for being too much like the PT Cruiser. Here's what Chevy should have done with the HHR...

Make it RWD, give it a 3.5 V6 with 250hp and dual exhaust. It would be the Hotrod that so many wanted the PT to be. And all claims of "PT clone" would be silenced.
  • gthorgthor Member Posts: 2
    Did you buy the HHR and I have the $3000 GM points also. If you don't mind my asking, what did you get yours for?
  • gthorgthor Member Posts: 2
    I have 3000 GM points but see that I can only use 1000 on an HHR. Has anyone been able to redeem more than 1000 points or $1000 worth?
    You should go ahead and really ask a dealer about using all 3K...if you're really interested in an hhr...GM will do about anything to sell any vehicle right now...tell the dealer to call the card...they may even make it more than 3K.
    I suspect it won't be too long before a higher output version comes out....but the tradeoff will be ....it'll probably get about 20mpg or less. My best guess is they'll put in the Turbo ecotec from the Solstice GXP or the Supercharged ecotec from the Colbalt SS.
  • beedublubeedublu Member Posts: 236
    Make it RWD, give it a 3.5 V6 with 250hp and dual exhaust. It would be the Hotrod that so many wanted the PT to be. And all claims of "PT clone" would be silenced.

I'll go with the 3.5 250hp and dual exhaust part, but RWD...not! As long as I live in the frozen northeast downwind of the snowy Great Lakes I'll never touch another RWD car again!
    Here was the deal I got sticker was 20,630.00
    Invoive 19,195.33
    $100.00 over invoice
    tax 1,157.70
    =20,453.03
    - gm points $3,205.37
    =$17,247.66
    Plus tag 150.00
    =$17,397.66
    I cannot locate the exact buyers order right now I know I am missing somthing. I know i gave them 17,705.00 total. I did get my full 3205.37 in points with the top off your points coupon that I got in the mail. I get part of my tag money back when I pick up my tag. The dealer never saw the top off coupon and hade to call gm to verify. Hopr this helps offer only good till end of march
    So basically you got it for 16K +Tax....that's a sweet deal!! What all's on it?
    It will be the SC Cobalt 2.0 L engine added later this year.
    The criticism of being a clone or too much like the PT was only around the first few months at release. I haven't heard anymore name calling since. The HHR is clearly different from the PT in many ways.

If they did put a V6 in it, it should be a limited edition. GM like Chrysler, uses the 4 cylinder to boost their corporate truck mileage.
    Are you sure the corporate gas mileage is around anymore with the new truck classes requirements?
    Yes, it was just updated again this past week by the government and all trucks are supposed to get 24 or better I believe by 2008? Currently it is at 22.8 I believe.
    2LT package / auto trans / 17" high polished wheels / running boards / Orange / gray cloth interior.
    Thats right off the window sticker. First oil change free.

Michael from Dania FL.
  • twaintwain Member Posts: 185
    As long as I live in the frozen northeast downwind of the snowy Great Lakes I'll never touch another RWD car again!
    -----------------------------

I hear ya. I probably won't either. But many people would and the HHR would have made one fine hotrod. Price it between 20 and 25k and it would have been the vehicle the overpriced SSR tried to be.
  • lusitanialusitania Member Posts: 14
    Does anyone know the procedure for disabiling the warning chime in the 2006 HHR? I can really do without the reminder that the door is open with the key in the ignition, etc, etc. With GM stuff it used to be a separate little module under the dash that you could unplug, but with the HHR it seems like the sound is coming out of the driver side door radio speaker. Can't disconnect that, can I? Anybody have a clue?
    Thanks!
  • nosirrahgnosirrahg Member Posts: 872
    Don't know the answer, but I do know A) in my 2000 Impala those sounds do seem to come from the speaker, and B) in the Impala there's a way to adjust the volume of those sounds (or at least I know it adjusts the sound of the turn signal, among other things).

I forget exactly how it's done on my car, basically once I set it the way I wanted it I haven't had a need to change it...but you might read through your manual and see if there's a way to at least lower the volume of those things.
  • totalledtotalled Member Posts: 1
    Test-drove an HHR LT/2LT last night for the first time; was trying to find an alternative to the only other deal I had worked for a wholly different vehicle. Totalled my car last week so I have been without wheels and am feeling the pressure.

I agree with previous comments that the "experts" made too much of the handling, brakes, engine and location of the window controls. All seem good enough to me, and I had been a fan of higher-engined and "better-handling" performance sedans. Gas prices and $ available dictated that I "reorient" my outlook. The HHR will do the trick. And I've been offered a good deal which I hope to finalize tonight: $1000 under invoice (invoice is ~$23200; MSRP ~ $24500+) for a fully loaded 2LT; price before tax = $22200. Insurance cost isn't bad either.
    Darn good price for a darn fine car! I'm still having a hard time wrapping my brain around 10,000 mile oil changes though...anybody out there actually let it go that far before changing the oil?
    Yep. I don't have an HHR, but I go strictly by the GM OLS monitor, and if it gets that far, that's when the oil gets changed. So far the longest any vehicle I've had has made it was about 7500 (2003 Trailblazer 4200 I6) between changes. Keep in mind that the Owners Manual says to use the OLS or 12 months, whichever comes first. :)
    I doubt anyone here will actually get to 10,000 miles befreo the car says to change the oil. Maybe a grandma driving very conservatively would? I hit 7000 most of the time.
    Or a traveling saleman who drives mostly interstate.
    Well, I've had mine(2LT (2.4L )automatic) above 115 mph on I-70....(stopped looking at the speedo after that point and decided to keep my eyes on the road), and have spun the tires on dry pavement ....at about 4700 miles ...it's saying 56% oil life left....which suggests about 10K oil change....I've also got a 2003 Alero with a 2.2 ecotech (5-speed)...it doesn't have the info center but it does have an oil life monitor (light comes on saying "change oil")..it only lets me go about 7,500 miles before coming on..although we're old...we don't drive em all that easy...the Alero gets 31 mpg...the 2LT is getting 27.5 mpg.
    At a steady 115 mph I reset the fuel usage reading and it dropped below 18 mpg...
  • pacermanpacerman Member Posts: 62
    Is the 2.2 and 2.4 engine a spin on or cartridge type oil filter and is it easy to get at?
    Thanx
    I read the whole manual last night, and there are lots of things you can re-program to personal tastes. But no mention of the warning chime volume. What a load of succotash!
    Seems like there might be a wire one could snip somewhere...
    Uh, NO.

The chimes are now done through the stereo courtesy of the electronics in GM vehicles. Replace the factory stereo and you might get rid of the chimes.. MIGHT.

Unfortunately the HHR uses the newer corporate radios, so I can't say for certain how to adjust the chime volume with it. Our minivan has a similar stereo, but the chimes aren't so bothersome on it, so I've never even looked.

My Silverado has the previous style corporate radio, and if I remember right, the trick was to put the ignition to put the ignition to on or run, then press and hold one of the preset buttons (six, maybe) until it dinged and displayed the new volume level. I found out quickly that the default volume was also the lowest however! You can bet it didn't take long for me to reset it either. And it is very loud, so I can sympathize. It may end up being something you have to learn to live with though. :(
    Thanks, I'll give it a try!
    I am not positive, but I believe it is a cartridge type. It will require a special tool or socket from what I have heard, but is easy to change otherwise.
    Well, I never really have a reason to drive with the rear windows lowered....but I tried it to see what you guys were talking about....WOW, at about 40 mph that really is unreal!!!!
  • ray80ray80 Member Posts: 1,655
    Thanks for the link. does it mean it got 5 star side impact w/o side air bags?
  • ray80ray80 Member Posts: 1,655
    From what it appears to say, yes 5 start w/o side air-bags
    Those results are very impressive, especially since it's without side airbags. Good job Chevrolet!
    That didn't work. But it still seems like the chime signal must be coming from the car's computer before it gets to the radio. The radio must then send out the chime sound to the speaker, right?

If I unplug the computer input to the radio, it would never know to make that sound would it? I'm trying to figure out what else would be affected by that, and can't right off-hand think of anything. Maybe I'd get some kind of error message in my DIC window, who knows??!!
  • nosirrahgnosirrahg Member Posts: 872
    FWIW I fiddled around with my 2000 Impala the other day to check the volume on my warning chime...with the radio off (but the key on) in the Impala you hold down on the #6 radio preset button until a message pops up on the display that says either "normal" or "loud", and it chimes three times at that volume level. One thing it apparently does NOT do is change the volume of the turn signal though; I tried the signal in both volume settings, and the volume was the same for both settings.
    Your 2000 Impala works the way my Silverado does. As far as what actually controls it, and whether disconnecting the computer from the radio would fix it or not, I can't say. I know completely replacing the stereo gets rid of it, along with some other stuff. Only because I was considering replacing my factory GM unit with an aftermarket model, and found that there were several things I'd have to buy adapters for to keep other things working. One of those was OnStar.
  • ken_zenken_zen Member Posts: 6
    Thank you for the link. The result is amazing! :shades:
    Thanks, I got it to work last night. Loud and Soft are the two choices. Now it's only half as annoying!

Now who would have ever discovered how to do this without something mentioned in the manual? Hey, I found out another good one that's not mentioned in the manual also. Went to re-set the time last week to daylight savings time. Followed the manual instructions to the letter, but could not get the time to change. Tried it again later and this time the radio happened to be turned on. It worked that time. Mighty strange.

Thanks again for the tip!