Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet HHR

Comments

• laserbluelaserblue Member Posts: 313
    In Canada, GMAC has their interest rate @ 0% for up to 48 months.
    This interest rate is for certain models and the HHR is one of them but they don't say if it's for all the HHR models (LS, LT and SS) or if it's only for the base model (LS).
    Anyone out there can help with this?
    Just received my HHR 2LT last night and this morning I noticed that there was no "cargo net".
    Are they suppose to come with a "cargo net" that you attach on both sides near the tailgate?
    The anchors are there on both sides and would imagine it's for attaching a "cargo net"?
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    Hello Laserblue,
    The 2010 HHR doesn’t come standard with the cargo net. You can however, get is as an accessory. You can go to this website: http://www.gmaccessorieszone.com/Chevrolet/2010/HHR/Cargo%20Net/?src=chevrolet&t- x_gmshopb2b_pi1%5Btype%5D=gm
    It will give you the MSRP of the cargo net as well. You will have to order it through your dealership. Thank you,
    Mariah GM Customer Service
    Thank you very much Mariah and stay with us on this forum, we need you. I read all of your reply and they are very helpful.
    Thanks again.
    Hello Laserblue,
    Thank you so much for the compliment!! I really appreciate it. :) Thank you,
    Got my 2010 HHR last thursday.
    It's been 2 days now that my exterior temperature in my dash reads 36 F and it seems to be stucked there although the temperature yesterday was 62 F. and today 59 F.
    On sunday it read 61 F. and 5 minutes later 52 F. but the real temperature was the same on the Weather channel.
    It's a shame.... I only have 90 miles on it.
    Could it be defective so soon?
  • gary_tgary_t Member Posts: 5
    Mine had the same issue. it seemed to be an intermitant problem. They told me it was the mirror that was the issue. After changing it it seems to be working better but still has the occational melt down.
    Got my HHR 2010 2LT only 1 week ago and saturday I went to the groceries store, I got in my new HHR, I start the engine, press on the brake pedal and....at my surprise, couldn't put in in "DRIVE". The stick shift was stuck on "PARK". Shut it off, start it again, same thing. After a couple of times of trying I finally got it in Drive, went straight home, unpacked my groceries and went back in the HHR and start the engine and the same thing happened again...stuck in Park.
    Went to the dealer and they said it was the "stick shift's celenoid" and they had to change the entire "stick shift assembly" because it's all in one piece, they can't chance only the celenoid.
    I can't believe this, my HHR has only 90 miles on it and I'm trying to be as religious as can be to go trough my "break-in" and this happens.
    Anyone esle had this happened to them?
  • gary_tgary_t Member Posts: 5
    Does not surprize me. Had many issues with mine.
    I cant believe that Chevey can make a car where you have to change whole units rather than the faulty part!
    Dont break an inside dorr handle! $375 for a 20 cent plastic piece as they have to replace the whole door panel.
    Nothing like creating 15 pounds of wast to reple a 3 oz piece.
    Good job chevy!!!! not
    I got my HHR back.
    I couldn't get the stick shift out of Park remember? (read posts above)
    The dealer changed the "Shifter Lockout solenoid".
    When I went to the dealer to pick it up everything seemed to work well. After dinner I went to one of my friend's house to watch the hockey game. When I was ready to leave, I started the engine with my remote, got in the car, put the key in the ignition, turned it to run position, press on the brake pedal and.....couldn't get it out of Park.
    Hey! Only 6 hours after I went to pick it up.
    Shut the engine, start it up again and it got out of Park.
    Went home and tried it again manually and with the remote...no problem, it worked well.
    What could be the problem? and What should I do.
    The first time it happened My HHR had 90 miles on it, it's doing it again with 120 miles.
    I had remote starters in the past but it's my first factory installed one.
    Usually when I started my cars with the remote and got in the car and forgot to turn the key to "RUN" position in the ignition, as soon as I pressed on the brake pedal the engine would stop, but on my 2010 HHR it doesn't seem to work like this. Normal?

When the engine is turned off and you press on the brake pedal, the brake light don't light up. Normal?
    Not sure but I think that my other vehicles brake lights came on when pressing on the brake pedal even if the engine wasn't running.
    Hello Laserblue,
    I apologize that the first fix didn't repair the vehicle. When you take it back and have them look at it again, please keep me informed on how everything goes. If you experience the concern again after the second fix then I am going to look into it further for you. Thank you,
  • sdasda Member Posts: 6,936
    I have noticed very little advertising and general lack of visibility of the HHR in the Chevy line. I understand the Orlando was to be the HHR's replacement, but that has been declined for the US mkt. At a recent Chevy showcase event, many models were there, but the HHR was absent. I have also observed that HHRs stay on the dealer's lot for a long period. One dealer in town that does good volume overall, has about a dozen '09s still on the lot. Just wondering.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

I never heard or read nowhere that the "Orlando" would replace the "HHR" but maybe I'm wrong.
    The "HHR" is kind of a special car, that's why you always see a bunch of them in dealer's car lots and not to many on the road (more or less).
    The "HHR" is a car/truck that you either "Love it" or "Hate it".
    Mine is a 2010 2LT and so far for my necessity it's the best of all my vehicles that I ever owned. Economical, small, nice design, good cargo space, well equipped and fun to drive...I love it very much.
  • dmathews3dmathews3 Member Posts: 1,739
    If he has a dozen on the lot I guess I'd have to ask why he isn't dealing on them. Some dealers will sit on cars until they can sell them at the price they want. My area I see them all over and have been stopped many times by mostly women who ask me how I like mine as they are interested in buying one.
    What year is yours (dmathews3)?
    What is your mpg rating city / hwy?
    Is it a 2.2 L or 2.4 L?.... automatic or standard?
    Mine is a 2008 loaded with everything including leather. 2.4 in which I get 24.5 in the warmer months around town with a little freeway across town and at a steady 60mph I have got 35.6 mpg. I use mine 99% of the time for in town driving and have just over 14K on it in which most of it is stop and go and so far no brake problems. I know when it does come time for new brakes they will be NON G.M. due to all the problems reported on the different HHR forums.
    I agree that the HHR is unique and has a certain appeal. I certainly like ours. 2008 2LT in Mystique Blue. Getting around 26 mpg on average. The brake rotors were just resurfaced at 22k. Very little vibration, but dealer did it anyway. Quite satisfied overall, and would love to see a similar replacement.

How many miles can you still do after you hear the warning chimes and get the message "Low Fuel" on your DIC. (city and highway).
    They say in the owner's manual to stop for gas as soon as this happens but sometimes you don't have gas stations near.
  • ray80ray80 Member Posts: 1,655
    I don't believe you can get an exact answer (maybe not even close). I have had it come on a couple time, and I believe it comes on when the estimated miles left ( on D.I.C. display) gets down to either 75 or 50 miles, and that would be based on whatever current average mileage is (Since last reset).
    Today, I noticed a scratching noise sounding like when you pull on velcro by little jerks coming from the sunroof every time I drove on rough or uneven pavement.
    The sound comes from the head liner on the passenger's front side because when I put my fingers between the sunroof and the head liner it stops.
    The sound can be heard just by slightly pushing and pulling on the head liner's front right side, when I pull and push on the front left there's no sound.
    When the panel is closed, you can still hear it but less.
    What can be done to eliminate this annoying sound.
    Unfortunately mine does the same, but more in the center and on the left side. It is a chaffing, scratching sound. The frequency and intensity varies by temperature and road surface. If I press my palm and push up on the headliner in the noisy areas, all is quiet. I soon as I release it sounds like velcro releasing and the noise resumes. I have had the dealer look at it at my last visit. They claim to have fixed it, but not. I may go to another dealer next time to see what they can do. If you haven't found a fix by then, I will let you know what I find. Though not serious, it certainly will get on your last nerve.

Seems like exactly the same problem. I can duplicate the noise just by slightly pushing and pulling on the head liner and yes it really depends on the temperature "hot/cold" or "humid/dry" days. Mine to just by putting my hand on the head liner the sound stops.
    Sometimes the noise is very minimal and the next day...I could pull all my hair off my head because the slightest crack in the road makes that noise unbearable.
    I'll let you know if ever they can fix it and how they did it.
    When did Chevy stop putting the GM emblem on the bottom of the front doors? I noticed that on some 2010 HHRs. Some had them, some didn't.

I've never noticed anything about this GM emblem on the HHR but I ordered my 2010 HHR 2LT on the 8th of March and it was built on the 6th of April received it on the 3rd of May.
    I don't see any GM emblem on the bottom of the front door on mine.
    GM took them off all of its cars/trucks after the Bankruptcy. Don't remember their reason but I think it was a money saving matter as that little button down there did nothing for name recognition.
    My sunroof makes a funny metal rattling sound when I drive on uneven pavement.
    I open it completely and then close it immediately the sound seems to diminish a bit but is still there.
    When it's only the back part of the glass that's open the sound doesn't go away.
    I went to the dealer and they said that they don't hear a thing. Are they all deaf or they just don't want to hear it?
    Sometimes it sounds like metal bars knocking together.
    Some days it's worst and other better.
    I can't pin point the origin of that noise.
    Anyone else with this problem?
    Anyone ever had a "Rattling Sunroof" problem on their HHR?
    I just came back from the dealer.
    That rattling sunroof of mine (see posts # 1477 & 1478) is giving me headaches.
    This morning I, neither the mecanic could duplicate the rattle but yesterday it rattled like hell, like 2 screwdrivers knocking together.
    The mechanic drove it for 3 miles hitting every holes, bumps, cracks that he could find...nothing.
    He made a visial check and told me that he had tighten 4 screws about 1/2 to 3/4 turn.
    I surelly hope that it fixed the problem.
  • kaipuffcatkaipuffcat Member Posts: 4
    Please help me. I turned on my HHR 2007 this morning and it drove fine but none of the gauges are registering! Is it about to go out? I have had numerous problems with this car.
    Hello Kaipuffcat,
    I apologize that you are experiencing an issue with your vehicle. Have you had anyone look at the concern you have present in the vehicle? Can you please email me your VIN and current mileage? You can get my email by clicking on gmcustsvc. Thank you,
  • kaipuffcatkaipuffcat Member Posts: 4
    edited July 2010
    Hello, it's me again with that "rattling sunroof".
    Well, I guess those 4 screws that the mechanic gave 1/2 to 3/4 turn did the trick.
    Can hear that metal rattling sound no more, it's finally gone.
    But I can't figure out where the heck are those screws?
    Open roof and see if they are visable from the outside. If not then my guess is he pulled loose the headliner to get to them.
  • vagabondchefvagabondchef Member Posts: 107
    Just wondering if there are any problems I should be aware of as I'm thinking of purchasing an 2010 HHR. I want to believe that the 2010's have all the bugs worked out. Please let me know and help me out.

Thanks!!!
  • vagabondchefvagabondchef Member Posts: 107
    Want to know if there are any problems or things that I should be aware of as I'm thinking of purchasing a 2010 HHR LS auto. I like this care, but don't want to encounter any problems. I'm hoping all these bugs are worked out on the 2010's.

Please let let me know as I'm purchasing in the next couple of days. It seems like your customer service is great and follow through is great on encountering any problems. Please advise.

Thanks!!
    My 08 with all options runs like a top and has never been in except for oil change and other maintainance. My sisters daughtor also have a 08 with all options and no trouble either.
    My HHR was delivered in Canada, so my DIC is all in metric units.
    I often travel to the U.S.A. and would like to know how can I change the "Metric units" to "Imperial units".
    Ex: Exterior Temperature from "Celsius to Fahrenheit", Fuel Economy from "Kms/p/h to m/p/h, Driving Range, --- kilometers to --- miles, ect...
    I went to my dealer for a oil change that included a 39 point check.
    The mechanic inflated my tires at 30 p.s.i and I checked on the driver door panel an it says 35 p.s.i. so I re inflated them to 33 p.s.i.
    Who's right ... 30 psi (dealer), 33 (mine) or 35 (door label)?

Also, I was trying the check my coolant level in the tank but can't find any cool/hot line on it like it should have. It's the first time I see such a place to put a coolant reservoir, can't see any level line.
    Is there one? and where?
    edited August 2010
    Disreguard the door labels as all manufacturers put them there just to mess up the paint and spend the extra money on paper and labor to put them on the vehicle. Manufacturers spend many $ on figuring out which tires, pressures etc. best fit the vehicle and that guy who changed your oil does hundreds a week and every vehicle has their own requirements and it makes it impossible to remember every combination. I always remind the guy how much air to put in my tires as both my cars are different. Tires pressures change with outside temps too so say 30 lbs were put in at 90 degrees and then the next day temps drop to 60. You most likely only have about 24 or so lbs cold at that temp so now you are 10 or so lbs. under what the manufacturer requires which means they wear wrong and you run the chance of them being damaged. So put in 35 and you're covered. One more thing if you have the fancy wheels by being under inflated you also run more of a chance of damaging the wheel hitting a pothole too. I have also found that when mine are underinflated by a few pounds it really rides harsher than it does at 35lbs.
    Confusion around the 16 inch and 17 inch wheels. 16 inch are set at 30 psi, 17 at 35 psi. I have had the same situation happen to me at both the dealer and tire store. I set them at 35psi cold and use the DIC to monitor them. I now state upfront when I have the car serviced to keep them at 35 psi, per the label in the door jamb.

• dakotaengineerdakotaengineer Member Posts: 1
    I recently purchased a used 2010 HHR. TH\he car has 6,000 miles and was a rental. My question is when I hit band on the radio I see AM and FM but I do not see XM. I would like to subscribe to XM radio but can I still get it on the installed radio or do I need a completly different unit. Additionally, the car was ordered with the On-Star delete, can that be added at a Chevy dealer. Thanks in advance for any information.
  • talker20talker20 Member Posts: 7
    I purchased an 08 new with the radio that had the XM button on the radio. And I contracted to have the XM in my car but when it came time to install it I was asked where I wanted to the control panel installed. Upon investigation even if your radio has the feature already there the HHR doesn't come with everything to make it work. After discussion, some strong at times, they agreed to install what was needed. It seems the XM uses the same antenna as the OnStar. But the cable to run it back there isn't put in at factory unless the car was being built with it. The headliner and all kinds of things had to come apart to get it in. But it works fine and I love it! The room is just so limited as it is I didn't want a pod installed for an add on unit.
    We're on a vacation trip.
    Left home with our new 2010 HHR 2LT, did my first oil change at 1,300 miles before leaving.
    Now we're on the west coast, with 4,300 miles. Planning to leave to go back home with 4,800 miles. Since I'll have done 3,500 miles on my 1rst oil change, should I do a oil change before leaving?
    I still have 3,000 miles to do before getting home.
    Rely on the Oil change computer on the dash. G.M. has put in a lot of time coming up with the proper programing for it. You are thinking old school. First off you should have left in the factory oil until you reached the west coast and then changed it. I make sure on mine that I have the computer reset to 100% each oil change and then when I get to between 40 and 50% or about 6 months then I change it. Most dealers/stealers want you to think like the old days and change it every 3K miles. With the newer oils/filters/engines this is NOT needed. Old school you used 10W 40 oil, now most have or are going to 5W 20 oil due to the superior quality and ingrediants put in the oils. Have it changed when you get home. Just don't go over the 7500 miles between oil changes the book says.
    It might be early to talk about snow tire but it's right around the corner.
    My HHR 2LT has 17 inch tire.
    Can I install 16 inch rims so I could buy 16 inch snow tires?
    They would probably be less expensive.
    If so, what size of snow tire could fit on a HHR?
    edited October 2010
    How was your trip? Mpg, general traveling observations? I believe you can use the standard 16 inch size that the LS and 1lLT come with. Probably can buy wheels at a junk yard and put snows on. Check with your dealer to confirm size. I bet you have a lot of possibilities that are not necessarily expensive.

The trip was nice, perfect, no problems.
    The HHR was super.
    Driving 65 - 75 mph most of the way. Fuel range, lowest 450 miles, highest 485 miles. We like it. Went across the Rockies without problems. Total mileage 6,000 miles and started with the oil at 100%, after 6,000 miles still 62%
    But we had to cut our vacation short...on the 13th of sept we had a phone call that my wife brother had died (55 yrs old).
    So packed up in a hurry and left Victoria on the 14th to get back home, we had 3,000 miles to drive.
    Arrived home on the 19th, called my Mom and Dad as soon as we arrived, finish talking to my Dad at 7:00 p.m.
    The next morning at 8:00 a.m. I had a phone call that my Dad had just died at home in the bathroom.
    My brother in law died on the 13th and 1 week later on the 20th day for day it's my father.
    Buried my brother in law on friday the 24th sept and my Dad on the 27th
    How horrible. My sympathies to you and your family.

• dustermandusterman Member Posts: 3
    I just bought a 2010 a couple of months ago and have the same problem. Did the dealer fix yours under warranty?

Thank you