Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevrolet HHR

Comments

• I do not have a remote start and have not experienced the problem.
  • Dusterman...this happens only when using the remote starter. If I start my HHR normally nothing of this happens.
    When starting it with the remote starter and then turning the key in the ignition it's shuts off as soon as the key is turned.
    If you don't have a remote start...it's normal that your HHR doesn't do it.. it activated by the remote starter.
  • My steering column rattles when I hit bumps and the rear left strut rattles as well as various other rattles in My 2010 HHr with 6000 miles. Took it to two different dealers and this is what happened:

First Dealer looked at it in October 2010 twice and said they would have to tear the car apart and keep it a week or more to fix it and they said there was no guarantee on fixing it.

The second dealer looked at it in early November 2010 and said nothing was wrong.

What should I do? I love my HHR but it sounds like I got 106000 miles on the car instead of 6000 miles.

I need help!!!!

Any advice would do!!!

Thanks!!!
  • My HHR rattles and something feels loose in the left rear wheel well especially when I go down the driveway and down the parking ramp with groved cement you can really hear it and it is annoying. I brought I to the dealer and they say its fine that they can't duplicate it and I should just live with it and turn up the radio and I won't hear it!!!

Can somebody help me or offer advice!!!

Thanks!!!
  • I have a rattle on my 2010 HHR LS with Auto that sounds like somebody left a screwdriver or wrench behind the speedometer inside the dash or behind the dash behind the steering column. Dealer says theres nothing they can do, its part of the car, live with it.

Any advice!!!

Why is it I take a Malibu for a drive and it sounds perfect and then I drive my 2010 HHR which is only 5 months old and it sounds like a Mexican rattle trap?

Please help!!!

I want to believe in this car!!!
  • Wow, I sincerely feel for you gentlemen that are having these problems with your HHR! I have a 2007 and have not had any of these problems. I cannot imagine what it could be, but it never hurts to get a second opinion, perhaps from a paint and body shop. That does not sound normal, and it should be something that can be remedied. The only complaint I could possibly have about mine is the gas mileage. One tank of gas gets me 340 miles, is that normal? Good luck with your troubles.
  • You didn't mentioned if your fuel economy was city or highway.
    Mine is a 2010 2LT with the 2.4L and on a tank of gas I get...city 396 miles and highway 488 miles in summer, in winter it's a bit less.
    About that rattling sound, mine has one to but I figure it comes from the suspension (shocks) they make a squeaking noise when the weather is cold but usually no rattles nowhere.
    I love my HHR in every way and wouldn't change it for nothing else.
  • In town I get 21 miles per gallon and on highway I get about 27.
  • Well...that gives you around 338 miles city and 434 miles highway.
    Mine gives me 25 city and 30 highway but I'm a very conservative driver, I'm very light on the gas pedal and my stop and go's are very gradual.
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Posts: 4,154
    vagabondchef ,
    I apologize for your experience. If you are unhappy with your dealers’ diagnosis I would recommend getting a second opinion. Please keep me posted.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • I'm going in for my first oil change at Boucher Chev, (the place where I bought the car) tommorow morning 12/31/10 and I will tell them the problem and get the diagnosis and let you know the result.
  • I don't think we're all imagining this. Company car is a 2010..36K now, but rattle is worse. Same as other posts...steering column, driver's dash?? Any updates from GM?? Not much time to hassle with dealership unless it's universally known.
  • My 2006 has a rattle just when it is cold in the mornings. It sounds like a suspension issue not in the steering. I think it is a shock in the strut or a loose bushing. I have looked for a loose fitting but cannot find any, it goes away after driving for awhile. Mysterious.
    I have replaced the blower motor due to a water leak from the outside cowling seam ( I sealed that with metalic tape ) , and new aftermarket rotors and pads.
    I followed the brake ' run in ' proceedure and the shimmy has not reoccured ( this is important to do ). The dealership replaced the shifter lockout switch under warrantee. Those are the only problems I have had. I see all these others with ignition and electrical problems but I have not had any of those yet. 65K mi. on this car and I get 32 mpg on the highway ( a few hills mostly flat lands tho ).
  • I wrote Chevy about the rattle issue. I have it, and it's all over the net that others do as well. Spoke with someone who didn't sound native to GM land. He denied that they were hearing of any issues. My complaint same as many others here and elsewhere on net. Dash, steering rattle...worse upon braking or rough ground. Yet, "nope, not here, thank you very much"..

Sad to see an Icon lapse into mediocrity...........
    edited March 2011
    rstruthers,
    Have you had a dealer look into the noise? Who did you speak with? Did they set up a case for you?
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • Yes Christina I have heard from GM Customer service. They have said I should take the car in for evaluation at my own cost. I have to drive 50 miles to the dealer, rent a car, drive home. Return the next day (maybe) then pay for the evaluation and most likely the repair. Cost ??? GM rep. says she cannot know if it will be covered by GM. This was a very frustrating phone call and just served to convince me that GM is just hot air. :lemon:

GM knows they have a problem. I have fixed all of the leaks, bad fan motor, blower speed resistors and brakes at my own cost, time and labor.
    It looks like I'll be on the hook for this also.

This will be the last GM vehicle I will buy. I also will assure you there will be no good will in my family circle for GM. We are moving to other brands. :mad:

I'm through with this and no longer want to hear from GM. Bye.
  • laserbluelaserblue Posts: 313
    My 2010 2LT has "blind spot mirrors" or spotter mirrors". They are convex mirrors factory installed.
    While washing my HHR today, I noticed that my "convex mirrors" are starting to be eroded all around, I thought they where just dirty but no, it's a kind of erosion. When you touch it it's rough like rust on metal but that erosion is all around the mirror.
    Do you think I could get them replaced on warranty?
    Those convex mirrors seems to be glued in the superior corner of the original mirror.
    The truck is only 1 year old and it's starting to show pretty bad, what will they look like next year?
    laserblue,

I would encourage you to contact your local GM dealership. Please keep me posted on any information from the dealership.

Thank you,
    Caron, GM Customer Service
    I own a 2010 HHR 2LT and I want to bring my cooler that you can plug in a 12 V outlet.
    In my other vehicle it was working fine and when I plugged it in My HHR it didn't work.
    I tried it in my friends car to see if the problem wouldn't be the cooler but it works fine in my friends car.
    Is there a special outlet somewhere in the HHR to plug some electrical accesories like my cooler?
    I went to my GM dealer today for the oil change and they did a little maintenance check at the same time.
    On my maintenance report sheet that they gave me I noticed that they had written "tires inflated at 30 p.s.i.".
    This was done my a GM mechanic and as long as I know of those original tires aren't suppose to be at 35 p.s.i.?
    At 30 p.s.i. it seems to be pretty low, don't you think? And it was done at a GM dealer by a GM "certified" mechanic.
    Should I bring them back at 35 p.s.i.?
    What are your tires usually inflated at?
  • sdasda Indian Land, SCPosts: 317
    With the 2LT it has the 215/50/17 tires which require 35psi. The label inside your driver's door will specify this. I have gotten to the point of politely reminding the service advisor that I have the 17 inch tires that require 35 psi. Most HHRs have 16 inch tires, and they require 30 psi. Easy to confuse..

2010 Pilot EXL-RES, 2013 Accord EX

• sdasda Indian Land, SCPosts: 317
    At 41000 miles I replaced the Firestone GTAs. They still had decent tread left, and no complaints overall. My initial intent was to replace with Michelin Primacy. I did a fair amount of research and ended up with Sumitomo HTR all season. They had good reviews and I was able to get them installed for $500 total. The original Firestone tires must have low rolling resistance even though they aren't marketed that way. My gas mileage promptly decreased 1-2 mpg. The tests that I reviewed concerning the Sumitomos said they were average in rolling resistance. I am happy with them so far. The ride smoothly, quietly. No vibrations at higher speeds. Better yet, they tightened up the handling and the car seems less prone to wandering when I cruise down the straight away.

2010 Pilot EXL-RES, 2013 Accord EX

• Im getting a good deal as far as price goes on a Chevy HHR 2007 with 30,000 miles but im confused on the reliability of this vehicle. Ive been reading alot of problems about it. The consumer report says its got a horrible suspension and brake build on it and what i need to know is this going to be a good investment because im getting it for cheap? What are the repair cost and how often do these repairs need to be made and at what milage. Any comments would be helpful from HHR owners but preferably someone who doesn't own i new car because i know you will say that you love and so on. I need information! I don't know how long this car will stay on the lot but hopefully long enough for me to complete my research! Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!
  • I own a 2006 HHR that has had the front end problems everyone describes.
    My suggestion is: Replace the front rotors and brakes with good aftermarket brand ie: EBC slotted and drilled rotors and new pads. This will cost about $300 in parts ( if your good at repairs do them your self). Be sure to " break-in the brakes" properly.
    Seal the passenger front cowling from rain water ( and washing ) coming in and ruining the heater motor. I had to replace two fan motor resistors and one motor before I found the leak on the passenger side was causing the failures.
    Then cross your fingers. Forget about dealing with GM on your problems, they are full of hot air and failed promises.
    We get good gas mileage but yes, the front end steering is bad on these cars.
  • Thanks for the information very good to know and I hope more people see your post that are also thinking about buying a Chevy HHR... After all it is still a car and if you can get it cheap enough and do the repairs you said it might be worth it but im not very car savvy so im gonna go find me something a little more reliable. Thanks though very appreciated and like I said I hope more people see your post!
  • Does anyone own a 2011 HHR? Im curious to know if they have any problems because my mother owns one and I wandering when some stuff is going to start going south on it or if they changed the designs or something? Any information would be appreciated! Thanks.
  • Ive been told that the problem I am having, is the "rock guard" applied just in front of my rear wheels. While it looks like paint that I have hit, I have tried everything I know to get it off and it wont, it is a white haze that looks terrible. Anyone else have the problems ? I do not have running boards, that would take care of it. Is that piece easy to replace or even replaceable? I love the car, plan on keeping it for a looooong time, but this ruins the look of the car
    Today, I went to my G.M. Dealer to make a oil change and install my winter tires on my 2010 HHR. There was a 2011 HHR in the showroom, I asked my salesmen when will the 2012 HHR's be coming in, he answered.... never. :(
    The 2011 HHR is the last of production.
    And I was counting on trading my 2010 HHR for a 2014/15 HHR.
    That's what happens when a car is to reliable...they take it out of production.
    Now... what will I trade for?
    Laserblue,

I’m sorry that a car you’ve so enjoyed is being taken out of production. Hopefully when you’re ready to trade, you will find another vehicle that suits your fancy and is as satisfactory for you!

Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • It's nice to see that they finally got it right. My 2006 HHR was the most unreliable vehicle I have owned. I sold mine because I was afraid to sneeze in it, for fear of something else going wrong.
    Cudo's for getting it right, but boo, for taking it off the market when you did.