Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet HHR

Comments

• m1miatam1miata Member Posts: 4,551
    " Read the manual for details on clock setting, I use 87 octane 2.4 liter engine, no pinging or knocking. 30.5 MPG around town cruise when possible adhere to speed limits etc. I am 68 yr young "

----end quote----

So when you go back up the hill, what will your gas mileage be? Something has to have gone wrong with the calculations. My Corolla may be able to achieve that sort of gas mileage in town, and certainly can get 38 or more on the freeway, but my goodness 30.5 in town in an HHR, which weighs in around 600 or more pounds, I assume! Let us know some more reading over the next few fill ups. That is interesting. I did, once and only once get 29.5 or higher in mostly highway cruising in my PT with a stick. With the HHR the automatic is the best on gas mileage, no doubt. Have fun with the new car!

:shades: Loren
  • hhr06hhr06 Member Posts: 47
    hi ,tx, for info but if u read it rite i'm asking how do you get the date and time to stay on the radio screen . i had no problem setting the clock or date but what is the use of having the date if it doesnt show all the time along with the time? any way if you find out please let me no. thanks hhr06
  • parky129parky129 Member Posts: 50
    No hill involved, Next fill up 29.5 same conditions. It is not a Toyota, it is an 85% American content car made in Mexico which accounts for the other 15%. Why don't people recognise the fact that GM makes cars that get good gas mileage, My Aveo which I traded for the HHR got 29MPG+ :) and 44MPG with automatic.I have been driving longer than a lot of people have been living and am fully aware of how to calculate gas mileage.
    I think the date function on clock is to allow for daylight saving time changes, I am sure that the date doesn't show on clock face all the time.If it showed on clock along with time it would be confusing. :D
  • poncho167poncho167 Member Posts: 1,178
    I agree GM has always had one of the more efficient drive trains in the industry. I have never had a GM that didn't get the listed mpg or more. A couple of months ago I saw a test listing several cars, and the Cobalt edged the Corolla, though barely, in all around driving. It was something like 28.6 mpg, to the Corolla's 28.2.

I assume you calculate your mpg at the pump and not using the onboard display reading.
    If they are getting 28MPG with mixed driving in a Corolla, something was likely wrong. It should average more than that figure. I have a '98 Corolla which does better than that after 83K miles on her.

As for the HHR getting around 30MPG in town driving, it is really - really hard to believe. It defies logic. Does this mean you are getting 35 to 40 MPG on the highway. Better gas mileage than a Civic? The HHR must weigh as much as a Civic or Corolla with 6 or 7 sacks of cement in the trunk. Running the 2.4 engine on regular will reset the spark advance - could that save that much gas - say a saving 5-6-7 or greater MPG? Seems all too awesome.

Loren
  • smariasmaria Member Posts: 279
    Next fill up 29.5 same conditions

Glad to see you're getting good MPG numbers.

Am I reading this right, or have you gone through 2 tanks in 6 days? Are you driving it more than 800 miles per week? :surprise:
  • smariasmaria Member Posts: 279
    I spotted a dark silver HHR this weekend, near Niagra Falls. It's a nice-looking car, just about as large as I expected it to look...maybe slightly larger than I expected.
  • nick28nick28 Member Posts: 5
    I haven't driven one yet, but why is it so hard for people to believe that an American car can actually get just as good, if not better MPG than a toyota or honda? Just curious.
    " I haven't driven one yet, but why is it so hard for people to believe that an American car can actually get just as good, if not better MPG than a toyota or honda? Just curious "

---end quote---

I don't know who was saying that an American car can not get as good, if not better gas mileage than a comparable Japanese make. The GM V6 cars beat Japan makes often in MPG. Personally, I have never heard of a 3100# Japan or American make van which can get 30MPG in town. It is all new to me. :D

Comparing four cylinder cars, it is not impossible that an American four bang in a Cobalt could get better gas mileage than say a Corolla, but I doubt it. Cobalt engine is larger for one thing. We are talking apples and oranges here. For quality, the Japan makes have had an excellent record with four cylinders. Are there American excellent four cylinder engines -- I take it the records show some are indeed comparable or better than some Japan makes. On the average, I personally would bet on Japan four banger engines.

Loren
  • pointatobpointatob Member Posts: 30
    Hi,

i just sat in an HHR on the showroom floor recently. i was overall pretty impressed with initial apparent fit and finish quality of the interior. i didn't drive it or spend too much time playing with every knob and lever, but for the price point, i thought it looked great. of course, after about $3000 of dealer markups for "rust protection" and "price adjustments", the vehicle summed to nearly the mid 20s!

compared to other low price point vehicles, it seemed to be put together extremely well. i was also impressed with the interior room in the back in the second row and behind the second row seats. the cargo area (behind 2nd row) looked to be bigger than the vibe (54 ft 3) and perhaps only a bit smaller than the vue (63 ft 3). does this sound about right to anyone who knows the exact spec?
    oops, i meant behind 1st row for those figures, not 2nd row...
    Well, the HHR in a more base form, I see as worth under $15K. For those that desire all the bells and whistles -- and assorted junk, may have a buy at around $20K. But, it is not worth over $20K, and those paying that much will lose money come trade-in or sell time....big money.

Loren
  • joestatixjoestatix Member Posts: 11
    http://www.detnews.com/2005/autosconsumer/0508/10/F01-275803.htm

HMMM the detroit news has a little different review than the freepress bigdaddy. I think the review that you found is more or less a sales pitch more than anything. Then I would like to just reply to a few of the people whome I annoyed and enjoyed doing so. I forgot who said it but as for the person who liked to mention the Hemi is built in mexico and had the nerve to say he would rather buy a car from canada or china than mexico. Well Looks like your out of luck with the HHR smart guy. Ramos Arizpe, Mexico That doesnt sound to american and guess what thats where the hhr is assembled.Chevy try again....
    Any vehicle with option packages that bring the final price into the $20,000 range is worth it to the buyer who wants or needs those features. Tell that to the person who bought the PT Cruiser Turbo, Subura Outback, etc. The average price of a new car is in the $20,000 range, and upscale features are generally only available in vehicles of this price range. Resale is becoming way over-rated being that people are no longer keeping their vehicles for 3 years, except for leasing. Now-a-days a lot of people chose to keep their car 6-7 years or more. That is one way to get your money out of a vehicle.
  • 62vetteefp62vetteefp Member Posts: 6,043
    Please take reviewers OPINIONs as input only. Never read an article and take everything as gospel. Go out and test drive. Do more research with other sources.

Two papers in the same town, printed on the same presses have a quite different opinion of the same vehicle. The Free Press is not being paid, nor is the reviewer to give rosy reports. That was their opinion of the vehicle as was the Leinerts.
    Glad you finally figured it out. Most people on this forum know that the HHR, PT Cruiser, VW Bug, and dozens of other vehicles are built in Mexico. It's no coincidence that Chrysler doesn't want their over-rated hemi to be known as a Mexican engine. The quality problem is of concern in Mexico, for sure, look at the problems that Volkswagon has been having for one. Canada has a proven track record for build quality, workmanship, much more so than the U.S., and China is probably the worlds best in automobile quality. The Chinese cars coming to the U.S. by 2007, are supposed to exceed both American and Japanese car quality at almost half the price.
    "as for any one defending the chevy hhr READ THIS ." http://www.detnews.com/2005/autosconsumer/0508/10/F01-275803.htm

"Im not the only person who thinks chevy needs to keep trying"

Here is the same post from 3-weeks-ago that you presented. At that time readers presented their opinions on this drive test, and I don't get why you would want to bring this test back into circulation/discussion. Most of us have read both negative and positive things about the HHR, and by far they are positive. If you are not an HHR fan I am sure there are a lot of forums that would welcome you.
  • nortsr1nortsr1 Member Posts: 1,060
    the U.S.by 2007 are supposed to exceed both American and Japanese quality at almost half the price"????????? I can almost believe half the price part...but...llet's not go overboard on the QUALITY part!!!!!
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Before we get off into imports and all that, let's remember that this is the HHR topic and we should stick to discussing that.
    We do have a topic on Chinese imports. Just head to the Chinese and American (but Chinese-built cars) coming to the US.
    discussion.

PF Flyer
    Host
    News & Views, Wagons, & Hybrid Vehicles

The Mazda Mania Chat is on tonight. The chat room opens at 8:45PM ET Hope to see YOU there! Check out the schedule
    What is the issue here with HHR being made in Mexico. The PT has been built there with no problems in assembly, for years and year. The VWs may be having some issues, but that is something which may be more related to the car parts, the particular plant, or who knows what. I doesn't mean problems are related to a countries workers.

What is wrong with the Hemi engine? Someone said it is overrated. Wow, all these years have gone by, and the news is that it is overrated. Thanks for the news. :D

Canada has made a few lemons too. My neighbor owned a Grand Marquis with a bad engine made in Canada. Can't say that makes Canada a bad place to build autos.

Loren
    Rendezvous is also made in Mexico and has excellent Buick quality.
  • 107main107main Member Posts: 33
    I put 150 miles each on two HHRs. From flat land to mountains. At 70-75 they both averaged a little over 26 MPG. Now these were brand new/no miles to start so it could get better down the road.
    They drove and rode very well with one exception. On the road when going up small and large hills the small motor constantly upshifted and downshifted. It was very irritating to me and noisey. BTW, the Cobalt (same running gear) does this too. The other thing I dont like it that it is an import...made in Mexico. Seems nowadays, you have to get a Honda, Kia or Toyota to get an American made car (certain models are made in USA). I have driven many Honda Elements and the Element is a hands down better choice over the HHR. Think it is import too.
    All in all, the HHR is sort of neat. I am coining a nickname for it for its looks and since it is from Mexico. The nickname its TIJUANA TAXI! Spread the word. :)
  • woody68rswoody68rs Member Posts: 14
    "They drove and rode very well with one exception. On the road when going up small and large hills the small motor constantly upshifted and downshifted. It was very irritating to me and noisey."

In the owners manual it mentions this and tells you to drop the vehicle into "intermediate" gear until you are out of the hilly areas.

And IMHO I don't care whare it's made, it's a Chevrolet. And the majority of my money spent on our HHR will end up right here in the USA. If I wanted huge gas mileage numbers, that's what I would have shopped for. If I wanted all looks, I'd have bought a Vette. I opted for the HHR based on my family's needs, not someone else's opinion; and I'm very satisfied with what we got, and what we paid for it. Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, and to voice it. But to tell someone else that they are wrong based on one's own opinion seems pretty hypocritical. If you don't like it, say so and move on, but there are only so many ways to say you don't like it. If you do like it, give your opinion as well, and followup with whatever you think would be helpful to others considering the vehicle or to other owners as well.
    Sorry for the rant, I guess it's the F Body Club Moderator in me coming out ;)
  • gogophers1gogophers1 Member Posts: 218
    Glad you finally figured it out. Most people on this forum know that the HHR, PT Cruiser, VW Bug, and dozens of other vehicles are built in Mexico. It's no coincidence that Chrysler doesn't want their over-rated hemi to be known as a Mexican engine. The quality problem is of concern in Mexico, for sure, look at the problems that Volkswagon has been having for one. Canada has a proven track record for build quality, workmanship, much more so than the U.S., and China is probably the worlds best in automobile quality. The Chinese cars coming to the U.S. by 2007, are supposed to exceed both American and Japanese car quality at almost half the price.

Is there a board specifically for xenophobes somewhere around here?

From what I've been reading, Chinese cars are not of acceptable quality for export yet. I'd rather have a car assembled in Mexico any day of the week - unless it's a VW. Of course, it doesn't matter where those are built. They're unreliable because they're Volkswagens.

As far as Canadian models being more reliable than U.S. built models, I'd love to see some data to back up that statement. That sounds like conjecture and politics talking to me.

Two of the most reliable cars I've ever owned, a Buick Park Ave. and a Chrysler NY, were both assembled in the U.S. And the two most unreliable, a Pontiac 6000 and Isuzu Stylus, were built in Canada and Japan respectively. Recently, Chrysler's most reliable cars have been built in Mexico (the PT Cruiser and Sebring/Stratus) and its least reliable (the minivans and now deceased LH sedans) were built in Ontario.

I think you need to keep in mind that modern auto assembly lines are highly automated and the reliability/quality factor is baked in long before the robots do their work. I.e., if your parts suppliers are good and the engineering solid, the car should be reliable - whether it's built in Canada, Mexico, the U.S. or Japan.
    I just want to address your Canada item. I am an American who has worked in a number of US plants and have also spent 2 years working in the Oshawa complex. This complex has the top two quality (JD Power initial quality) plants in North America. The cars they build are the top vehicles in the premium mid market (Century/Regal/Grand Prix/Impala/LaCrosse). All these vehicles have better initial quality (what better to measure the assembly plant part of vehicle quality?) than the Camry and Accord (actually not sure if LaCrosse was better since data was not released to public, but it is being advertised as having the best quality for a newly launced vehicle).

Why are these the best plants. My experience there shows that both the salaried and hourly employees feel the need to have the best cars built. They work constantly at improving quality. The hourly were always helpful and would do anything I asked to improve the vehicles they built.

Now US plants were not far behind in attitude but not quite the same. I have no idea why but it is what I saw. Actually I feel, overall, the union folks in Canada really have a little different attitude than those in US. Anyway , this is my opinion.
  • awesomeone2awesomeone2 Member Posts: 4
    Get it right. Just because a vehicle is made in Mexico does not make it an import. The HHR is a GM vehicle. The profits stay in the United States. If Toyota makes a vehicle here, it may be sold in the United States but the profits go back to Japan.
    As far as your opinion of the HHR is concerned, I believe any vehicle with a 4 cylinder going up-hill will do the same thing. Try it with a Scion. I've driven the Scion, HHR, Matirx/Vibe, PT, small trucks, Mazda 3, and many others and they all upshift going up hills. Putting the transmission in a lower gear will alleviate the problem.
    BTW, of all the small cars I listed, the HHR is the most versatile, comfortable and well made (in my opinion). With my GM card rebates and haggling abilties, my purchase price for my 2LT was 13,500, retailed for 20,000. "You Can't Touch This" 107 Main. BTW, mine did not have any of the so called mark-up fees mentioned by others.
  • micwebmicweb Member Posts: 1,617
    How much rebate did you get from the GM Card? I thought it was limited to $1,000. You got a great deal, buying the new car was a no-brainer at that price!
    Any more reports on gas mileage with a stick or auto HHR?

As far as assembly goes, my PT made in Mexico, has not had any problems.
    Unless the map has changed Mexico is located in America.

Loren
    that is an unbelievable price! did the 2LT have any additional options? sounds like you got an auto since you were discussing the hill downshifting. i can't believe they would come down so much that quickly, being that this is a new car. did you get them drinking some whiskey before they agreed to the price? :shades:

in what region of the country was this?
  • jntjnt Member Posts: 316
    On 260 Watts in the Pioneer, they are probably doing what all car radio statements do today. 260 Watts divided by 7 speakers comes out to less than 40 watts per speaker (more likely 20 watts in smaller speakers and 80 watts in the subwoofer, etc etc.) Not a lot of power. That trend of calculating watts started in earnest about 20 years ago, and I've been sicked by it ever since. I'd prefer to get the base level RMS power rating from the amp, not the results of all speakers added up. But, so is the way of American marketing. Appeal to the idiots, sell a lot. Delco has really been undersold, as I agree their power and clean output is far too often missed in statements by the press. Delco has probably had more experience making good sound than 90% of their competition, and does it with great results. I think I actually prefered the Delco in the '99 Malibu we traded in to the Pioneer in our new HHR (but I think it was the dynamics of the trunk in that car that made the radio sound increadably good.) Not by much on that preference, but at least a little. Anyway, my wife likes the Pioneer, so I'm not saddened at all.

Are you sure the HHR has Pioneer radio? I think it could be Panasonic

jt
    Then Panasonic should sue Pioneer,there is a Pioneer logo on rear Bass unit and in the HHR literature it states Pioneer sound system. BTW did you ever turn up the volume on the sound system in a HHR. I am sure there is more than 40 watts of power, as the sound really rocks the vehicle. Best sounding radio in a new vehicle I've ever heard. NO DISTORTION regardless of volume.You are right about Delco being a good radio manufacturer, they have always made quality radios and have been doing it for many years.Why do people tend to downgrade a manufacturers sound system? They spend many hours testing to get it right. :)
    The United States, Canada, and Mexico are all part of North America, yes. Canada has always been considered domestic on the Monrony vehicle sticker label, but Mexico has not. I don't know why the different distinctions, but that's just the way it is. BMW also makes cars in this country, but you reallly can't consider them domestic/American when they are a German company. Toyota's from California are not American cars, they are Japanese cars made in America.

At the top of the HHR forum there is a consumer review area where I have read others that get mileage into the 30's mpg, and another around 40 mpg highway.
    I think the Pioneer system sounds really good with little to no distortion, but I also think it falls about 100 watts short of it's claimed power.

I agree with the Delco radio comments, they have always been known to be the best stock radio.
  • awesomeone2awesomeone2 Member Posts: 4
    Midwest. We had 3,500 on our GM Card (Original Program), 1,500 on our Citibank Driver's Edge, 1,000 Oldsmobile Coupon and the balance was negotiation. I will say that dealers aren't negotiating the sticker price that much yet. Since we paid in cash, they reduced it a little.

We are very happy with our car. It is a manual. I haven't seen the gas mileage ratings as high as stated by others. Ours is closer to the 23 city, 30 hwy range. Still, not bad. I have a Pontiac Vibe with a manual trans. and it gets 30 city, 36 hwy. It has a 1.8L Toyota engine. The HHRs 2.4L is on par as far as the NVH is concerned. I think the HHR is comparable with any import, domestic in its class. Really, really love the versatility and the comfort.

Do not agree with the Edmunds review.
  • sandy06sandy06 Member Posts: 6
    I bought 2.2 auto HHR LS July 22 and now have 1190 miles and I am getting 16.4 to 16.9 mpg in town and I have a light foot and trying to squeak out every mpg. On a couple of short highway trips (150 round trip) I got 24.6 and 26.9 mpg. This is not what I expected and have seen where some others are getting better. The sticker was 23/30 and that was a selling point for me as well as the look of the HHR.
    I'm in late forties and drive very economically. I wondered if it was the use of the AC that was killing my mileage. But got to have AC. I figured it from the dash tabulator and the old fashioned way. Even made sure not being syphoned out at night. Wow this is a disappointment because I really like the HHR. Does anyone have any suggestions?? other than getting rid of it.
    Going in Monday to see dealer because I ponied up the savings for this so would not have payments, and this is a far cry from what I was lead to believe it would get.
    I can not see how a heavy van like car could get 40 MPG....... maybe 30 MPG. Think about it, a Corolla at say 2,500# and a 1.8 liter engine gets up to 40 MPG. Now add six or seven sacks of concrete, square up the face a bit, make it higher, and see if that Corolla would get 40 MPG with a 2.4 liter engine. It ain't gonna happen, unless driving all down hill. The best of the best is a Civic HX, which is a stick, and can get 44MPG and in the real world driving as high as say 48 to 50. A really light car, with a lean burn engine. If there is a way to make the HHR get 40MPG, then people will trade in a lot of cars to get this gem. My PT has gotten 20 to the very highest on a level highway just shy of 30 MPG. I did a little in town, so maybe it could have gotten 30. But 40 MPG is a miracle van-car!

Loren
    My PT sticker for gas MPG is the same as your 22/30. It actually gets around 20 to 26. Sure on rare cases a bit more, and once got almost the 30MPG. These less aero dynamic cars seem to not be able to go above the listed MPG like the other cars I have owned. In the past I got sticker to some 10% higher than sticker MPG.

You said you have 1,190 miles on the car. Maybe it will get better around 2k to 3k miles on her. If not, see what Chevy has to say. Is this with four people in the car? A lot of cold engine driving? You really should be around 20 to 22 MPG in town, I would think.

Loren
    This months Consumers Report (page 20) reports that in their testing of vehicles against the Govt. EPA figures...they (CR) averaged from 50% to 35% "LESS" than the actual EPA figures and then goes on to explain why. Very interesting article!
  • micwebmicweb Member Posts: 1,617
    City driving kills gas mileage. I have had lousy city mileage from a mid '80s Golf, from a supposedly high efficiency Honda CX ('93) and of course from my much heavier PT Cruiser (with auto).

Your 24.6 and 26.9 mileage on the freeway is actually quite good. My PT Cruiser freeway mileage was 23-24 on the freeway; our CR-V mileage is 24-27 on the freeway. My daily commuter, a 2005 Focus ZX3, which weighs a lot less and has a stick shift, gets a dependable 31 mpg. The highest I ever got was 35 mpg with a Scion xA stick shift on my daily commute, and the same mpg on a stick shift Neon on an interstate trip.

Don't feel bad. Your life style (city driving) is what it is, and you have a solid, roomy vehicle.Imagine what SUV's get in city driving!
    Again, the HHR Consumer review at the top of this forum has people getting 30 + mpg highway with their HHR, and another one getting around 40. I don't see any reason why some people can't get 35 mpg on the highway. All of my GM's got more than listed mpg.

Under 20 mpg city driving, even with air, with this fuel efficient four-cylinder engine is unacceptible. I would think there is some kind of problem with the computer or something else.
    " This months Consumers Report (page 20) reports that in their testing of vehicles against the Govt. EPA figures...they (CR) averaged from 50% to 35% "LESS" than the actual EPA figures and then goes on to explain why. Very interesting article! "
    --- end quote ---

I bet they forgot to take the parking brake off !
    ;)

My new PT Cruiser is the only car I have owned which so far has gotten less than
    the EPA. I do have to really baby it to get something around the mileage figures
    the government had. I am pretty sure, all the other cars I have owned got pretty close
    to the average, to as high as 10% greater than the EPA data. A GM V6 usually delivers
    at EPA gas figures, to 10% higher. The HHR, like the PT is going to catch more wind,
    and are heavier cars, so a little heavier foot trying to more the weight along, or a strong
    wind, or a hill to go up really hammers the gas mileage. My '98 Corolla would get around 38 to 40 MPG on the freeway, yet a strong head wind and a hill or two, would dump it down into the 32 MPG range. If it was blockier and weighed in higher, that
    difference would be magnified.

What CR and others do in tests to get such poor gas mileage in the average car is beyond me. Most cars, in the 1990's got up to 10% better than sticker. Well, perhaps
    Fords did not. But that is hearsay for people griping, and not based on any testing.

Loren
    you read this months CR edition to get a better handle on how the vehicles were tested by CR and how the "govt." tests to get their figures!!!!!
    Your statements certainly do not agree with the hundreds of complaints in the Edmunds forums of people "constantly" complaining about not getting the EPA figures but a lot less"!!!!!
    Well hundreds of complaints about gas mileage, balanced against the silent majority of millions that do get the EPA gas mileage or better, may indeed be the reality. Of course a few cars will be prone to less gas mileage when push hard due to being under-horse powered, or meeting too much wind resistance, or whatever, but on the balance I have had no issues with the EPA figures over the decades of cars I have owned. As for GM, that is the one redeeming quality of all the GM cars I owned - good gas mileage. I think more people are complaining about Ford cars than others, but those too are the ones with a problem. I am sure we all get more vocal when something goes wrong.

Loren
  • mihhrmihhr Member Posts: 6
    :shades: Picked it up last night. Looks like everybody is concerned with hp and mpg on this forum. Here's what I know so far. The dash computer showed 27mpg average after about 225 miles. This was mixed, mostly highway miles.

As far as hp, pretty weak compared to my 108 hp motorcycle. For a small utility vehicle, its right on. If I wanted a hot rod, I would have looked for one.

It draws a lot of looks. People pull up along side at red lights and ask about it or walk up to us at restaurants and want to talk. We like it. We got the 2LT with everything except the XM. Oh yes, regular gas - no pinging. I quizzed the dealer pretty hard about this one after reading this board. Hope everyone gets a ride they like, whatever you choose. :)

• 61116111 Member Posts: 13
    FYI

HHR LT1, 2.4 , auto, pioneer, Fog Lights, Roof Rails, MSRP $19200, I only paid $17168.

I had to order it 6-8 weeks. The problem I had is that every 2.4 in omaha was loaded, leather, onstar etc etc etc pushing the MSRP to $22000 +.

I hate waiting.
    awesomeone2 says: As far as your opinion of the HHR is concerned, I believe any vehicle with a 4 cylinder going up-hill will do the same thing. Try it with a Scion. I've driven the Scion, HHR, Matirx/Vibe, PT, small trucks, Mazda 3, and many others and they all upshift going up hills. Putting the transmission in a lower gear will alleviate the problem.

I say:
    I personally have a Honda Civic hybrid..you know the one with the little 1.3 engine and CVT transmission. No shifting noise and very, very little motor noise going up any hill. The new 4cyl Honda Element and CRV dont do this to any extent.
    Toyota Camry 4cyl, none of this constant shifting...and 35+ miles per gallon.
    Scion..Drove one of those too, 250 miles, nothing like the shifting in the HHR. I think GM could do some adjustments and help that problem. If I want to be shifting gears, I would get a straight drive! Dont get me wrong, I like the HHR. Just drove another new one 250 miles mostly interstate. Great radio and nice driving vehicle. Chevy should sell a lot of them. Dealers are selling them quickly. Gas mileage figures could be better however. Have now driven 3 of them and all around 26 mpg on road <20 around town.
    Just drove another one 250 miles mostly on interstate. Got around 26 or so mpg at 75 +-3 mph. Would probably get 2-3 more mpg if you were able to hold it down to less than 70 mph, but that is hard to do with all the big SUVs pushing you up and down the road. Around town <20. I have now moved 3 of them and all seem to be the same. I think all were 2.4 engine automatic.